PDA

View Full Version : This Year's Best RT

RaiderNation
12-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Alot of the attention goes to the best LT's in the draft, when in reality some of them end up being RT's in their careers. What guys are going to be good RT's in the NFL? Names like Carimi, Love or maybe Castonzo come to mind for me.....

Duffman57
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Alot of the attention goes to the best LT's in the draft, when in reality some of them end up being RT's in their careers. What guys are going to be good RT's in the NFL? Names like Carimi, Love or maybe Castonzo come to mind for me.....

Costanzo would be terrible as a RT in most schemes.

Carimi is by far the best, followed by Love, and then Cannon for me. This is an extremely weak OT class that i'm not sure there's one guy who should be taken in the first round.

ThePudge
12-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Why do people think LTs are pure pass-blockers and RTs are pure run-blockers? That's really not the case.

Tyron Smith projects most naturally to the right side seeing as it will be all he's played at the college level. DeMarcus Love has a lot of experience over there on the right side as well. RT and LT aren't just different responsibilities in run/pass-blocking, but also a different way of opening up your stance, using each hand for leverage, and recovering from speed and/or power moves.

For instance, Andrew Whitworth played Left Tackle all throughout college. He came to the Bengals and played Left Guard mostly. They played him at Left Tackle occasionally, where he did surprisingly well. After Willie Anderson left, we were left with that big hole on the right side where they wanted to put Whit, but it became very evident that the right side of the line was foreign to him & it wasn't going to work. Not many would have imagined Whitworth playing Left Tackle in the NFL, but the reality of it is that's all he could really do.

OaklandRaider56
12-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Moving from one side to the other is very difficult, but if given time to adjust players can do it, Orlando Franklin's my favorite 2nd round prospect for the Raiders assuming he can adjust to the right side.

scottyboy
12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
i think costanzo in the right situation could be a very good RT. I really think he'd thrive on the Giants as McKenzie's replacement.

Babylon
12-18-2010, 11:35 AM
i think costanzo in the right situation could be a very good RT. I really think he'd thrive on the Giants as McKenzie's replacement.

I agree, i sort of liken him to another BC tackle in Columbo.

scottyboy
12-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I agree, i sort of liken him to another BC tackle in Columbo.

i can see that. he's a smart, hard worker, with what I see is a fairly high floor. not much potential, but can be an extremely solid RT in the league for a while.
plus, with Coughlin and the BC connection...we could have a BC right side of the line with Snee and him haha.

JaxJag_1
12-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Definitely Carimi

BeerBaron
12-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Carimi definitely has what you look for in a potential RT. He'd be my top pick.

And after seeing Castonzo get bull rushed successfully by the significantly lighter Steven Friday, I don't think I'd trust him on the right side where run blocking is the priority (for Pudge.) You still have to do both, but a quick glance around the league turns up more teams who have a successful o-line having a RT who is a somewhat better run blocker than pass blocker...I guess you could make the case that if he were a better pass blocker, he wouldn't be on the right side.....

Anyway, Love is another. He's played both tackle spots and guard in the same game at times, so you have to like his versatility, especially if your a team like the Bears who needs help literally everywhere.

etk
12-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Carimi = elite run blocker, poor pass blocker. He definitely can't play LT so he qualifies here.

Franklin is solid overall and has nice potential. His biggest weakness is penalties.

Razor
12-18-2010, 02:34 PM
I really like both Carimi and Franklin as RTs, I don't like them at LT. Also, both guys could play guard imo. Carimi will probably end up being overdrafted in the top of the second round and Franklin looks like a third rounder right now.

Scott Wright
12-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Don't forget Matt Reynolds of BYU, a junior who is probably going to declare.

descendency
12-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Nate Soldier. Big, Strong, weak pass protector. Better potential than Carimi.

Yea, I went there.

Don Vito
12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Watch out for Ole Miss' Bobby Massie. He's a sophomore but went to Hargrave for a year, amazing talent who was one of our few bright spots this year. Has early first round talent and with the situation here in Oxford looking pretty meh, there is a chance he could test the waters.