PDA

View Full Version : NAIA Prospects

JhawkFitness
12-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Over the years guys like the Texans Derrick Ward have come from this level and made an impact in the NFL.

I know of 2 this season;

Jake Duren - LB - 6'0"/230/4.61 - MNU (transfer from Colorado)
Season stats (missed 2 games due to injury): 109 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, 3 interceptions
Honors: Conference defensive player of the year, 2x American Football Coaches Association All-American Team.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00YQ8Cw8kA8mc/340x.jpg

Will Griffin - CB - 6'0"/205/4.5 - MNU (transfer from Pitt State)
Season stats: 27 tackles, 5 interceptions, 6 pass breakups. Averaged 24.5 yards per KR, 10.6 yards per PR.
Honors: 1st Team All Conference as DB and KR.
http://www.topspeedtraining.com/resources/Griffin.jpg

JhawkFitness
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
One to keep an eye on is TE Juan Redmon out of MidAmerica Nazarene University. 6'6"/230# w/ 4.6 speed.

thefridge15
01-03-2011, 12:09 PM
You're probably a Nazarene fan, but they did get beat in the playoffs by Sioux Falls, who has NAIA Player of the Year Jon Ryan.

http://www.usfcougars.com/images/components/com_news/images/Ryan__Jon_v__MNU.jpg

WR - 6'4" - 200 lbs

Strengths:
- Faster than you would assume
- Goes up and gets the ball with his hands
- Great leaping ability
- Lots of experience in a pro-style offense
- Dominant in the redzone and jump-ball situations

Weaknesses:
- Didnt play against top competition
- Needs to put on weight, is very skinny
- Leaves something to be desired as a blocker
- Never played any special teams

Outlook: 6th Round to Undrafted, More than likely undrafted but may be a good free agent addition for camp

xxxxxxxx
01-04-2011, 09:57 AM
can someone tell me what NAIA is?

Excuse the stupidity.

no bare feet
01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
It is an association of colleges that is not affiliated with NCAA and has their own rules and jurisdictions.

no bare feet
01-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Lyle Alzado, Don Bebee, Ken Anderson, Danny Woodhead, Mel Blount, harold Carmichael (sp.) Patrick Crayton, Willie Lanier jsut a few names

no bare feet
01-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Just looked at the NAIA website. Wow some amazing players

xxxxxxxx
01-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Crayton went to Sam houston state right? Thats NAIA?

Can you tell me anything else about it?

What would you compare it to? D1-AA?

JhawkFitness
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM

D-II or III would be a more accurate comparison. You'll find some teams with 220-240# nose guards. That said, the NAIA does get a lot of D-I transfers because of their eligibility rules that give you 10 semesters to play 8, instead of just having a running clock like the NCAA does.

Chidi29
01-06-2011, 05:52 PM
I really like Derrin Netles of Morehouse. Around 290 pounds, had 20+ TFL, and double digit sacks this year. Also 7 FFs.

Haven't gotten to watch him play but the numbers combined with the size jump off at you. After Ramon Harewood got drafted last year, he'll give Nettles hope of being able to follow suit.

Terry Griffin out of Elizabeth City State has put up pretty gaudy numbers in his time. The guy is around 6'5, 340. Should get a look, probably as a PFA.

The Cactus Bowl will be played tomorrow. It will be shown on the game's website, cactusbowl.org. Not sure how good the quality will be. It will highlight the best D2 players in the country.

fischbowl
01-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Crayton went to NW Oklahoma State, a NAIA school.

NAIA is probably best compared with D-II competition. Most schools involved have religious backgrounds