PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Woodley

leroyisgod
03-21-2007, 03:16 AM
Lamar Woodley had a great workout at his pro day. Ran the 40 in the low 4.7 range and a lot of scouts are talking about him playing OLB in the 3-4. He could possibly be a target for us in rounds 2 or 3. I personally feel he'll go in 2, but I believe he's worth a look.

LonghornsLegend
03-21-2007, 04:21 AM
id love it if we took him, but personally id rather address DE in the 2nd...i feel like we are great at LB, but need a DE who brings a pass rush

Macarthur
03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I saw that. He ran a good time and had like a 38" verticle. He probably went up in most folks eyes.

Staubach12
03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I could see it in the 2nd.

robert_in_bigd
03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Woodley was a great player at Mich but it is true he gets over whelmed by big LT like Jake Long, Joe Thomas, etc.

Also, he never played well in space as a OLB. Some folks believe, and I agree, he would make a great 3-4 ILB in a creative scheme.

Im_a_Romosexual
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
I still dont like him personally

robert_in_bigd
03-21-2007, 02:11 PM
I still dont like him personally

You don't like LM personally? Or personally, you don't like LM as a football player?

Im_a_Romosexual
03-21-2007, 02:28 PM
as a football player, I have nothing against the guy off the field

thule
03-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I love his ability to get after the QB...but his height is a big concern for me. OLB need to have the height so when they ingage with someone on the outside...they can see when they need to shed...Lamarr will have trouble with this in the NFL...which is why he would only be a situational passrusher in our scheme.

D-Unit
03-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I would be fairly pleased with him in the second round. I think of him as a poor man's Merriman.

robert_in_bigd
03-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Woodley is very strong. I think he would actually make a good MLB at his height and speed. Plus, you can move him around over the C/G and get him blitzing on passing downs. He actually has enough power to push a few of them around.

D-Unit
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Woodley is very strong. I think he would actually make a good MLB at his height and speed. Plus, you can move him around over the C/G and get him blitzing on passing downs. He actually has enough power to push a few of them around.
I never thought of him as an ILB. I dunno how I feel about that thought. He's a trained pressure player. Dunno how I feel about his range, fluidity and coverage skills. I would prefer to keep him at OLB.

robert_in_bigd
03-21-2007, 06:20 PM
I never thought of him as an ILB. I dunno how I feel about that thought. He's a trained pressure player. Dunno how I feel about his range, fluidity and coverage skills. I would prefer to keep him at OLB.

The issue is he really struggled at the U in space and at OLB. His coverage skills where considered poor because he was not as fluid as you would like. Granted that was as a 4-3 LB.

Maybe 3-4 OLB doing mostly blitzing is the right thing. Dunno enuff to say.

jjmcquade
03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I rather gamble with these two picks on the bottom

Round 1. Jarvis Moss. Defensive End that brings 4.7 speed to the pass rush. Plays both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses.

Round 2. Aaron Rouse. Safety/outside Linebacker. He runs 4.52 speed. He can play the safety position and outside linebacker position. The cowboys can covert him to outside linebacker because of his speed and aggresiveness.

thule
03-21-2007, 09:19 PM
I rather gamble with these two picks on the bottom

Round 1. Jarvis Moss. Defensive End that brings 4.7 speed to the pass rush. Plays both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses.

Round 2. Aaron Rouse. Safety/outside Linebacker. He runs 4.52 speed. He can play the safety position and outside linebacker position. The cowboys can covert him to outside linebacker because of his speed and aggresiveness.

I think we heard you the first 3 times. Moss is a good pick...Not quite sure if he will be around at 22...but could slide.

Rouse as an OLB in a 3-4 is laughable. He is a safety...no way could he stand up against the point of attack against TE/OT over the course of a game. You do know we run a 3-4 right? Just try to remember this isn't madden...you can't find the fastest player and put him on the outside to beat the OT to sack the QB every play.

ironman4579
03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
The issue is he really struggled at the U in space and at OLB. His coverage skills where considered poor because he was not as fluid as you would like. Granted that was as a 4-3 LB.

Not really my forum, I just happened to notice this. Woodley never played OLB in a 4-3 while at Michigan. As a freshman he played DE in a 3-4, as a soph he played OLB in a 3-4, as a junior he played the rush backer role in the awful 3-4/4-3 Michigan seemed to want to play that year, and as a senior he played DE in a 4-3. He might have dropped back to OLB if Michigan shifted to a 4-3 set occasionally in his first 3 years, but he was never a set 4-3 outside linebacker.

bigmac076
03-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Not really my forum, I just happened to notice this. Woodley never played OLB in a 4-3 while at Michigan. As a freshman he played DE in a 3-4, as a soph he played OLB in a 3-4, as a junior he played the rush backer role in the awful 3-4/4-3 Michigan seemed to want to play that year, and as a senior he played DE in a 4-3. He might have dropped back to OLB if Michigan shifted to a 4-3 set occasionally in his first 3 years, but he was never a set 4-3 outside linebacker.
the Dallas Cowboys Forum is open to all. Especially Michigan fans.
http://bp2.blogger.com/_JrB9fpNy-yE/ReDDkBm0sGI/AAAAAAAAAEw/n_1Kn0SUtVQ/s320/banner2.jpg (http://bp2.blogger.com/_JrB9fpNy-yE/ReDDkBm0sGI/AAAAAAAAAEw/n_1Kn0SUtVQ/s1600-h/banner2.jpg)

ironman4579
03-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Hail to the Victors.

LSUALUM99
03-27-2007, 11:55 AM
It's ok, one day you'll root for a real team like LSU.

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/stadiums/LSU-03-NationalChampsStadium-002.jpg

D-Unit
03-27-2007, 12:58 PM
It's weird... somedays I think Woodley is a good fit for us... But sometimes, like today, I don't like his game. It's not complete. I think thule is close to correct in that he would be a pass rusher... but not purely, as he can stop the run too. It's his role in coverage that scares me. But on the other hand, that's all Wade did with Merriman. Send him attackin'.

jjmcquade
04-04-2007, 03:21 PM
here is video on "the wood" LaMarr Woodley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXywtq6Wcw

Finlayson56
04-04-2007, 09:03 PM
i like him as a player but we dont need linebackers and hes to small to play a 3-4 DE if the cowboys pick him in the first round i will shot myself because we will have drafted a linebacker in the first round 3 years in a row. and im sure everyone watch the playoff game Capernter played outside he played great almost had a pick and make a bunch of game saving Tackles but i guess eveyone forgot about that.

dan77733
04-04-2007, 11:18 PM
DeMarcus Ware, Greg Ellis, Bobby Carpenter, Bradie James, Akin Ayodele and Al Singleton. I think that we are set at LB for a long time. Why waste a first day draft pick on a position that's not needed?

A 3-4 DE would be great as well as a future NT or a FS. We signed Hamlin but he's a one year "prove yourself" deal. If Landry, Nelson, Griffin or Merriwether is on the board, I think that safety will be the pick.

WR is a possibility but I would rather wait until the second round for one.

leroyisgod
04-05-2007, 07:54 AM
DeMarcus Ware, Greg Ellis, Bobby Carpenter, Bradie James, Akin Ayodele and Al Singleton. I think that we are set at LB for a long time. Why waste a first day draft pick on a position that's not needed?

A 3-4 DE would be great as well as a future NT or a FS. We signed Hamlin but he's a one year "prove yourself" deal. If Landry, Nelson, Griffin or Merriwether is on the board, I think that safety will be the pick.

WR is a possibility but I would rather wait until the second round for one.

And two of those players are in their 30's. I've said it a million times, every good 3-4 defense has to be very deep at LB. We're not quite as deep as we need to be.

HorusKing
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
2nd round would be perfect spot for the cowboys. They could move Carpenter inside at his natural position.

Achilles33
04-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Ummm, he went to Michigan......

Achilles33
04-05-2007, 01:55 PM
And two of those players are in their 30's. I've said it a million times, every good 3-4 defense has to be very deep at LB. We're not quite as deep as we need to be.

Are you kidding me. We are plenty deep. Don't forget Kevin Burnett. A 2nd day ILB wouldn't be to bad, but thats about it.

DSlay4
04-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Are you kidding me. We are plenty deep. Don't forget Kevin Burnett. A 2nd day ILB wouldn't be to bad, but thats about it.

yea cuz our pass rush was so good...

robert_in_bigd
04-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Ummm, he went to Michigan......

More than one U and it depends where you grew up. I am very familiar with LW.

Achilles33
04-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Our pass rush sucked because of our scheme, not players. Wade Phillips will make us 10x better, because Parcells was a conservative old fart.

DSlay4
04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Our pass rush sucked because of our scheme, not players. Wade Phillips will make us 10x better, because Parcells was a conservative old fart.

are you kidding me? there were plenty of times when we sent all of our linebackers on blitzes and nobody would get through.

is it parcells fault Demarcus Ware got stonewalled by Josep Addai?
is it parcells fault Demarcus Ware got handled by Warrick Dunn?
is it parcells fault Marcus Spears couldn't keep his fat ass of the ground?
is it parcells fault Bradie James couldnt get off guards?
is it parcells fault Roy Williams was playing half assed?
is it parcells fault Anthony Henry was playing like sh*t?

I dont know why everyone thinks Wade Phillips is going to walk in and make everyone better. If our linebackers can't beat running backs, then there's nothing a coach can do. We have some pieces in place but it's not like Wade Phillips has some magical scheme, he had the perfect players in San Diego. Shawne Merriman would constantly bully around Left Tackles, There D-Line would consistently get a push, and there MLB's could actually run.

Dont blame parcells cuz some of our players sucked. Did you blame parcells when we went 10-6 and had the number 1 ranked defense?

Achilles33
04-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Are you serious? Coaches make the plays and stunts. Yea, we sent them all, but the play DESIGN sucked. Wade Phillips has much better schemes to free them up, and give a ton of different looks. Just watch, our pash rush will be dominant this year. It is not a coincedince that in 30 seasons as a defensive coach (either assistant, coordinator, or head coach) 20 of those teams had over 40 sacks. That is insane. Not to mention or QB hurry numbers will multiply by about 500%. Literally. Parcells was horrible, and wanted all of his washed up players and schemes to work, but they didn't. That is the bottom line, no ifs, ands, or buts around it.

Please, think about this before you type.

JJJ888
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Are you serious? Coaches make the plays and stunts. Yea, we sent them all, but the play DESIGN sucked. Wade Phillips has much better schemes to free them up, and give a ton of different looks. Just watch, our pash rush will be dominant this year. It is not a coincedince that in 30 seasons as a defensive coach (either assistant, coordinator, or head coach) 20 of those teams had over 40 sacks. That is insane. Not to mention or QB hurry numbers will multiply by about 500%. Literally. Parcells was horrible, and wanted all of his washed up players and schemes to work, but they didn't. That is the bottom line, no ifs, ands, or buts around it.

Please, think about this before you type.

Phillips may be better than Parcells, but this is taking it too far. If a player isn't performing, it isn't just because of the scheme, it's because he isn't performing. Parcells scheme has worked extremely well in the past; it's not like something just magically happened and it stopped working. There's no way you can criticize Parcells defense that much after what he did for our defense.

And to prove that players make a difference, let's take a look at what happened when Greg Ellis went down.

leroyisgod
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM

If we were so deep and good at LB last year, then explain how the production dropped off big time when Ellis got injured.

robert_in_bigd
04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but most players on the DL want to play one-gap. I think guys like Spears and Canty dogged it last year and probably pouted about their role. What DE or DT doesn't want to get those sexy sacks and even sexier contract. 3/4 guys typically get jacked contract time unless they play OLB.

So to me if the DEs with Wade (more likely) play more one-gap they will play harder. Better DE performance will turn into more sacks for the OLB too. I can see a 50 sack year myself with our talent.

With that said, I can also see a lot of big plays for TDs unless Henry has a great year. Roy can't cover. Hamlin is ok cover guy. Only DB worth his contract is Newman ... so.......

DSlay4
04-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but most players on the DL want to play one-gap. I think guys like Spears and Canty dogged it last year and probably pouted about their role. What DE or DT doesn't want to get those sexy sacks and even sexier contract. 3/4 guys typically get jacked contract time unless they play OLB.

So to me if the DEs with Wade (more likely) play more one-gap they will play harder. Better DE performance will turn into more sacks for the OLB too. I can see a 50 sack year myself with our talent.

With that said, I can also see a lot of big plays for TDs unless Henry has a great year. Roy can't cover. Hamlin is ok cover guy. Only DB worth his contract is Newman ... so.......

Well if that's the reason our DE's were playing bad, then I honestly want them off the team. Let's get some players with HEART

trademaster
04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
We may not have a football team, but LSU and Michigan dont have anything

on:

http://movement.nyu.edu/commotion/NYU_TORCH_TEXT.png