PDA

View Full Version : Week 16 - Detroit (+3.5) at Miami

Scotty D
12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Discuss the game and make a prediction.

P-L
12-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Dolphins are 1-6 at home. The Lions are 1-6 on the road. Something's got to give.

Lions 27, Dolphins 23.

bearsfan_51
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Lions win and continue the late-season momentum.

Prowler
12-21-2010, 01:55 PM
everything in life and sports is mental. we have an edge right now over the dolphins. we are hopeful, and they are disappointed and uncertain what the future holds. I think we can score more points than them and I'm not scared of their QB coming from behind to beat us.

23-13 Lions

Da-Phins
12-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm gonna give you all the edge in this one. For some reason we dont play with alot of energy or fire at home but we do on the road. Our interior OL is struggling so I expect Suh will tear the OL a new one. Henne is a robot who is afraid to take shots down the field and is always due to a turnover. Our running game is a mess and we couldnt run on the worst run defense in the NFL. The real factor is our defense. If your offense can find a way to take over the game, you guys will win. I expect this to be a low scoring, boring kinda game.

P-L
12-21-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm going to try and go to the game.

eeth
12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
What Prowler said is what I was kind of thinking, we just won two in a row, one on the road, and the Dolphins just lost so I think we get the edge

Lions 17 Dolphins 10

Scotty D
12-21-2010, 08:48 PM
There are lot of MSU and UofM alums in this game. I want to see Henne vs. Stanton but I'm not sure if Stanton's shoulder is going to let him start. I really like the Logan-Morris-Best running attack that Linehan is featuring. Logan got cut by Parcells and the Dolphins because they said he was too small so if he has a huge game remember that little bit of info.

Edit - Suh, Corey Williams, and Sammie Lee Hill are playing insane football right now. Corey Williams is a stud. The Dolphin's interior offensive lineman are pretty crappy so hopefully Suh can get some sacks. He's gone a couple games now without one but the attention given to him has allowed the defensive ends to dominate. Avril and Lawrence Jackson have been really good. Lawrence Jackson is playing like a first round pick. Can't believe Carroll gave him to us.

Edit - Forgot about Bobby Carpenter. He made a great pass break up on Mike Williams in the first quarter and played a solid game at linebacker. He was a first round pick for a reason and a 43 OLB drafted to play in the 34. Lets see if he can put two more solid games together.

Da-Phins
12-22-2010, 01:24 AM
There are lot of MSU and UofM alums in this game. I want to see Henne vs. Stanton but I'm not sure if Stanton's shoulder is going to let him start. I really like the Logan-Morris-Best running attack that Linehan is featuring. Logan got cut by Parcells and the Dolphins because they said he was too small so if he has a huge game remember that little bit of info.

Edit - Suh, Corey Williams, and Sammie Lee Hill are playing insane football right now. Corey Williams is a stud. The Dolphin's interior offensive lineman are pretty crappy so hopefully Suh can get some sacks. He's gone a couple games now without one but the attention given to him has allowed the defensive ends to dominate. Avril and Lawrence Jackson have been really good. Lawrence Jackson is playing like a first round pick. Can't believe Carroll gave him to us.

Edit - Forgot about Bobby Carpenter. He made a great pass break up on Mike Williams in the first quarter and played a solid game at linebacker. He was a first round pick for a reason and a 43 OLB drafted to play in the 34. Lets see if he can put two more solid games together.

What? Logan was never signed by the Dolphins while Parcells was here.

EDIT- Just did a wikisearch and he was signed by the team in 07 so it was Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller who brought him in then cut him.

Scotty D
12-22-2010, 01:28 AM
What? Logan was never signed by the Dolphins while Parcells as here.
http://detnews.com/article/20101029/OPINION03/10290343/Stefan-Logan-s-hard-work-yields-big-returns-for-Lions
Logan jumped at the chance, then made the most of it, becoming the school's career leader in rushing and all-purpose yards. As a senior, he was a finalist for the Harlon Hill Trophy as the Division II player of the year.

But all that got him was a minicamp tryout with the Giants, and later, a six-week stint on the Dolphins practice squad, and then another pink slip.

Why? Bill Parcells, then head honcho for the Dolphins, "wasn't too fond of how big I was," Logan said.

Da-Phins
12-22-2010, 01:33 AM
http://detnews.com/article/20101029/OPINION03/10290343/Stefan-Logan-s-hard-work-yields-big-returns-for-Lions

Hmmm. Ok. Wasnt aware of that. Surprised by that since Parcells has went after small guys before.

P-L
12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Henne is a robot who is afraid to take shots down the field and is always due to a turnover.
This surprises me because at U-M, the only thing Henne did was chuck it down the field. He always struggles in the intermediate passing game so he'd just throw deep. I wonder if it would help his confidence if the Dolphins got him a true deep threat. Then again, if the fans down here get their way, he may be gone before that happens.

noondog
12-22-2010, 05:44 PM
As has been mentioned previously, I think that the prevailing intangible that tips the odds in our favour is the fact that the Phins are closing out what could be described as a disppointing season and they won't be charged with nearly as much emotion as the Lions, who are coming off of consecutive victories which have halted nasty losing streaks (vs div opponents, road game losses, etc). The Lions have more momentum than they've had in years with designs on finishing the year off strong, and I believe the entire team has really bought into this.

From an actual match-up standpoint, I'm looking for the following:

1. Megatron vs Vontae Davis: Davis has turned out to be a very solid corner for Miami, but Megatron is Megatron. It will be interesting to see how many single coverage packages the Phins use against Big Play CJ. Getting him the ball early and often would open up the field for the rest of the weapons later in the game. I think Megatron goes for 5-80-1. If Stafford plays, 5-110-1.

2. Lions ability to control Cameron Wake: Lots of double teams, chip blocks and screens to negate Wake as best as possible. I think that our TE's and RB's will get about 12-15 catches for short to medium yards (see #1 as well).

3. Running games: Both teams are averaging about 103 per game on O (wtf Phins?). However, the Phins D is allowing 30 less per game than the Lions. Imperative that the Lions get the ground game going as it has in recent weeks. Look for a few end-arounds to Burleson, Johnson and Logan. On the other side, I think we dominate the interior of the line and make running between the tackles very difficult, however we need to contain the edge to prevent any big runs by Ricky, Ronnie, etc.

4. Pressure Henne: Our D-line can dominate this game with constant pressure on Henne. He will turn the ball over multiple times if we can get to him. Suh/Williams/Hill should be a nightmare for the interior of the Phins O-line. Not expecting much from the RDE as Jake Long is a beast.

Overall, I think the result is Stafford-dependent. With Staff, Lions win 34-20. Without, Lions win 24-20.

detroit4life
12-22-2010, 06:44 PM
hill is starting. I think lions win this one as long as CJ plays (didnt practice today).

We have momentum and look like the better team right now IMO, Marshall has been playing well the past 2 weeks and with delmas most likely out he could have a big game

Scotty D
12-22-2010, 07:35 PM
From an actual match-up standpoint, I'm looking for the following:

1. Megatron vs Vontae Davis: Davis has turned out to be a very solid corner for Miami, but Megatron is Megatron. It will be interesting to see how many single coverage packages the Phins use against Big Play CJ. Getting him the ball early and often would open up the field for the rest of the weapons later in the game. I think Megatron goes for 5-80-1. If Stafford plays, 5-110-1.

That is a really interesting match up. Miami also has Sean Smith (6'4 214 lbs with speed) that they could put on CJ but I'm not sure how he is playing.

Scotty D
12-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Stafford to IR, Randy Phillips-S signed to active roster

So would you guys rather have Hill or Stanton start?

Ignoretheroar
12-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I want to see Tim Toone out there before the seasons over. This guy lit it up in mini camps and had a solid preseason. I don't understand why he hasn't a shot yet. Especially with our lack of receiver depth.

Scotty D
12-24-2010, 02:05 PM
I want to see Tim Toone out there before the seasons over. This guy lit it up in mini camps and had a solid preseason. I don't understand why he hasn't a shot yet. Especially with our lack of receiver depth.

I really like Tim Toone as well but he went on IR earlier in the season.

Xiomera
12-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Lions 27
Dolphins 16.

It's happening.

eeth
12-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Stafford to IR, Randy Phillips-S signed to active roster

So would you guys rather have Hill or Stanton start?

I say Stanton for the fact that we won 2 in a row with him, our running game has been better, and he gets Calvin involved in a big way

Xiomera
12-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Stanton better be starting Sunday.

WMD
12-24-2010, 10:37 PM
We'll probably win the last two games and miss out on Patrick Peterson. Oh well, it's nice to see some wins.

eeth
12-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah but hopefully we won't have to pay a super ridiculous contract if the CBA doesn't address this issue

WMD
12-25-2010, 03:51 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Dolphins-Ricky-Williams-blocks-anger-Lions-Gunther-Cunningham-122410

Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham threatened Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams Friday, saying he is "coming on the field," if Williams throws an illegal block during Sunday's game between the two teams, the Detroit Free Press reported Friday.

"All I can say to Ricky Williams — I want him to know this — if he hits one of our DBs in the back on a crack block, then I'm coming on the field," the 64-year-old Cunningham said. "I mean, he's had a couple of knockouts, but they've been nonlegal. I'll just put it as that."

Williams did not talk to reporters after Cunningham made his comments.

A "crackback block" happens when an offensive near the sideline goes against the flow of the play and hits an unsuspecting defensive player from behind.

Williams has not had a crackback penalty called against him the past three seasons.
YEAH GUNTHER

eeth
12-26-2010, 08:07 AM
He'll show us how it's done

frubulubu
12-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Lions win and win big...+14!

Xiomera
12-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Lions 27
Dolphins 16.

It's happening.

Oh, Hill is starting?

Make that Dolphins 27, Lions 16 then

P-L
12-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I know Stanton has a two game winning streak, but Hill has a much better quarterback this year.

Xiomera
12-26-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not over Shaun Hill's throw out of the endzone on the 2-pt. conversion vs. Buffalo.

Scotty D
12-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't care about draft position. I want wins.

Scotty D
12-26-2010, 12:06 PM
sick hit by Ashlee Palmer

Prowler
12-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Looks like Jahvid is finally getting over those turf toes.

Scotty D
12-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Hill and Pettigrew have nice chemistry

Prowler
12-26-2010, 01:56 PM
if we end up breaking CJ's back I'm going to be pissed.

BRAVEHEART
12-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Lions d-back corp is arguably the worst in the league.

Prowler
12-26-2010, 02:16 PM
why is Tye Hill on our team?

Scotty D
12-26-2010, 02:18 PM
CC Brown is so bad.

Prowler
12-26-2010, 02:52 PM
someone please cut brian clark

Scotty D
12-26-2010, 02:55 PM
The defensive line is getting good pressure.

BRAVEHEART
12-26-2010, 02:59 PM
great play by the D-line and levy. Cut Clark, that effin bum.

Prowler
12-26-2010, 03:02 PM
wow it must really suck to be a dolphins fan.

Silver & Blue
12-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Three in a row WOOOOOOOO!!!!

Kind sucks for draft position since we probably won't get Peterson, but oh well.

Prowler
12-26-2010, 03:13 PM
who's getting the game ball?

vasher, levy, suh?

i'd probably just give it to gunther and say its the defense's.

Xiomera
12-26-2010, 03:15 PM
How impressive if the Lions can win next week like I expect them to.

I predicted a 6-win season, and after they were 2-10, no one thought that was remotely possible.

Scotty D
12-26-2010, 03:15 PM
who's getting the game ball?

vasher, levy, suh?

i'd probably just give it to gunther and say its the defense's.

I'd give it Vasher. That tackle on Ronnie Brown was awesome.

Da-Phins
12-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Congrats on the win guys.

And thanks for giving Ross more reasons to fire Sparano.

detroit4life
12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
there we go! i dont even care about how badly we just screwed our draft pick position 3 game win streak feels great. hopefully prince falls...

Maybe Next Year Millen2
12-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Great win. Explosive offense with Best still and big turnover with a backup QB and 3/4 of our secondary out an Calvin out lat and we still win.

4 in a row and 3rd place would be awesome. I want Lions playing in DC next year so I can go. Go Lions and Redskins.

Things are looking up for next year. Here's to another good offseason.

BRAVEHEART
12-26-2010, 09:30 PM
my main thing is protecting Stafford. If we can protect him, we'll be alright.

Scotty D
12-27-2010, 02:18 AM
If the Lions beat the Vikings next week they will finish third in the North. I'm assuming the tiebreaker is division wins and they are both 1-4 right now. They can be in third place outright if the Minny loses to Philly and then the Lions. 6-10 looks a lot better than 2-14, 3-13, 4-12, to free agents. Lions are playing their way out of a top ten pick but I want to see what Mayhew can do with this positioning.

How sick was this draft?

Round 1, Matthew Stafford QB 6'2" 225 Georgia
Round 1, Brandon Pettigrew TE 6'5" 263 Oklahoma State
Round 2, Louis Delmas S 6'0" 202 Western Michigan
Round 3, DeAndre Levy OLB 6'2" 236 Wisconsin
Round 3, Derrick Williams WR 6'0" 194 Penn State
Round 4, Sammie Lee Hill DT 6'4" 329 Stillman
Round 6, Aaron Brown RB 6'1" 196 TCU
Round 7, Lydon Murtha OT - Started at RT for the Dolphins
Round 7, Zack Follett OLB 6'2" 236 California
Round 7, Dan Gronkowski TE - Used to get Alphonso Smith from Denver

I still think Aaron Brown is going to be good but he needs more touches. Levy and Sammie Lee Hill are looking like really good picks. I don't even care Derrick Williams has busted!

Prowler
12-27-2010, 07:15 AM
damn, makes me want the worst coaching staffs to get fired so we can coach the senior bowl again

frubulubu
12-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Im really impressed with how the Lions keep fighting til the end and dont give up. Penalties are down and the refs have not called bogus calls like they always do. Hill was not game changer but he was suitable for the victory. It also is refreshing to have this team draft out of the top 5 for a change.

Scotty D
12-27-2010, 02:13 PM
damn, makes me want the worst coaching staffs to get fired so we can coach the senior bowl again

Fire Schwartz!

P-L
12-27-2010, 02:22 PM
If the Lions beat the Vikings next week they will finish third in the North. I'm assuming the tiebreaker is division wins and they are both 1-4 right now. They can be in third place outright if the Minny loses to Philly and then the Lions. 6-10 looks a lot better than 2-14, 3-13, 4-12, to free agents. Lions are playing their way out of a top ten pick but I want to see what Mayhew can do with this positioning.

How sick was this draft?

Round 1, Matthew Stafford QB 6'2" 225 Georgia
Round 1, Brandon Pettigrew TE 6'5" 263 Oklahoma State
Round 2, Louis Delmas S 6'0" 202 Western Michigan
Round 3, DeAndre Levy OLB 6'2" 236 Wisconsin
Round 3, Derrick Williams WR 6'0" 194 Penn State
Round 4, Sammie Lee Hill DT 6'4" 329 Stillman
Round 6, Aaron Brown RB 6'1" 196 TCU
Round 7, Lydon Murtha OT - Started at RT for the Dolphins
Round 7, Zack Follett OLB 6'2" 236 California
Round 7, Dan Gronkowski TE - Used to get Alphonso Smith from Denver

I still think Aaron Brown is going to be good but he needs more touches. Levy and Sammie Lee Hill are looking like really good picks. I don't even care Derrick Williams has busted!
That was an awful draft. We should have drafted Michael Oher and moved Jeff Backus to guard.

detroit4life
12-27-2010, 06:15 PM
very true but looking past that it was a successful draft.

P-L
12-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I was being totally sarcastic...

detroit4life
12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
haha alright making sure didn't quite know. the oher move still haunts me though