PDA

View Full Version : Allen Bailey Interview

Scott Wright
12-22-2010, 07:26 AM

Interview with Miami (FL) DL Allen Bailey
http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/Allen-Bailey/Allen-Bailey.php

tenorx
12-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Awesome, my favourite prospect this year :)

Brothgar
12-22-2010, 09:52 AM
How do these interviews work? Are they text interviews or Voice? Any chance of you recording them for your blogtalk show hmmmm????

bored of education
12-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Allen Bailey is a monster, he could really play any scheme. LDE, UT, 5 tech in a two gap

SenorGato
12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
I really don't buy this guy...Even his measurables point to him being Gholston 2.0...about the only advantage he has over Gholston is that no one is fooling themselves into thinking he's a 3-4 OLB.

I really hope for his sake that a 4-3 team drafts him...Detroit or something.

6'3/276/4.65 are not he measurables of a 5 tech...I also don't think that if a 3-4 team drafted him they could just plug him in and go.

cajuncorey
12-22-2010, 12:36 PM
he is a freak but at 276 he seems undersized for someone whos being talked as a DT... i hope he bulks up for the combine... right now he looks to be a solid LE

goldenbear.cal
12-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I really don't buy this guy...Even his measurables point to him being Gholston 2.0...about the only advantage he has over Gholston is that no one is fooling themselves into thinking he's a 3-4 OLB.

I really hope for his sake that a 4-3 team drafts him...Detroit or something.

6'3/276/4.65 are not he measurables of a 5 tech...I also don't think that if a 3-4 team drafted him they could just plug him in and go.

Bailey and Gholston are 2 different types of DE. Gholston was a freakish athlete (6'3 265lbs 4.55) while Bailey is a decent athlete w/ decent burst for his size and strength (6'3 285lbs 4.75). Gholston was a 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB prospect, while Bailey is a 4-3 and 3-4 DE prospect and has no business being a 3-4 LB. Bailey wont wow you with stats, but his versatility to play DE at both scheme gives him value. I compare him to Phillip Daniels.

Scott Wright
12-22-2010, 12:58 PM
How do these interviews work? Are they text interviews or Voice? Any chance of you recording them for your blogtalk show hmmmm????

I record them over the phone.

Don't worry, pretty soon we'll be having at least one prospect guest on the podcast every week.

TheMorningZoo
12-22-2010, 01:02 PM
At that size (276) you would think as mentioned he would play LE or maybe bulk up a bit (295?) and play inside in the 4-3 where he could use his athleticism as a penetrator. I don't know about the 5 tech. Putting on 30 or so pounds and playing the run may not be as appealing for him.

brasho
12-22-2010, 02:32 PM
At that size (276) you would think as mentioned he would play LE or maybe bulk up a bit (295?) and play inside in the 4-3 where he could use his athleticism as a penetrator. I don't know about the 5 tech. Putting on 30 or so pounds and playing the run may not be as appealing for him.

I think playing 5-tech is probably more appealing to most than the 3-tech or even 2... Most, I'm sure would rather be at LDE in the 4-3.... which for many defenses is still pretty much a 5-tech.

GaMeTiMe
12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I guess he's 276 right now but there is more than enough room to build on that frame and I've already seen him in the mid-280s on other sites. The Eagles were trying Brandon Graham inside early this season, a move I hated but they thought would generate more pass-rush from an undersized yet athletic UT-type. It was a fail and probably hindered his development honestly, but that's the type of player Bailey will be (while mostly playing DE). I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles look long and hard at him if available at that point, because he could do the things they wanted to try to do with Graham.

As far as the interview goes, I wasn't impressed on his part. It almost seems as if he has a disconnection from the game of football. I'm sure someone will pull up some story or other quote from him about how hard he works and wants to improve or something, but all prospects say that somewhere down the line. He just didn't seem to have much to say about other players, failing to even mention another name on any question regarding competition or comparisons. He lists his power and speed as his strengths, but technique and getting off blocks as his weaknesses. Not that he's supposed to lie, and plenty size/speed guys with bad technique can develop into players, but basically labeling yourself as a workout guy and not doing much else in the interview to add optimism isn't a good sign. When he was talking about having trouble against the Virginia tackle, he almost attributed the line's success as a whole to the players being big, "like 6'8".

He's going to put up great numbers and be a lock for the top 25 but I'm not sure that without a lot of polish and coaching he'll be that great of a pro.

Vox Populi
12-22-2010, 03:51 PM
People looking at what he said his weight was, remember he said he had 8% body fat as well. Thats visible, definable abs on a 276 pound man. This guy will never weigh less than 270 pounds and would be in better shape than any other guy his size in the league. He could easily get into the 290s and still be one of the leaner guys at his position, especially if you're having him play the end in a 3-4 or tackle in a 4-3.

shylo3716
12-22-2010, 04:07 PM
I record them over the phone.

Don't worry, pretty soon we'll be having at least one prospect guest on the podcast every week.

Can you give us a list of prospects on your interview list to look forward to.

thegreatone
12-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Hes a Ravens fan? Destiny. lol

RealityCheck
12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I guess a song people wouldn’t expect to be on my iPod is “How to Save a Life” by The Fray. Also, “Use Somebody” by Kings of Leon.

And I thought all Miami players refused to listen to any song with less than 250 curse words.

tenorx
12-22-2010, 07:28 PM
He is the best 3-4 DE prospect of this draft in my eyes, just before Heyward. I'd love to have him on the Steelers, although sadly we need to adress the OL first.

BeerBaron
12-22-2010, 07:29 PM
In the back of my head, I can't help but think that he very well may be high on Jerry Angelo's list. He's just the type of DE/DT tweener that JA seems to love drafting, and JA typically doesn't do sensible things like address our biggest needs, so don't be shocked if he's holding up a Bears jersey on draft day or shortly after.

regoob2
12-22-2010, 08:10 PM
He's similar to Henry Melton who the Bears moved to UT. 6-3 275ish now and ran a 4.65.

SuperMcGee
12-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Nice interview, but why is there a picture of Humpty Hump on the front page?

TACKLE
12-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Loved to see you get a Bailey interview.

Obviously I'm a fan but I can't help but think that the success of guys like JPP and Dunlap will only help his stock. Those guys had exceptional physical skill sets but were raw technically. I see a lot of the same things in JPP that I see in Bailey. I was really glad to see him say that he needed to improve on using his hands and disengaging from blocks. I couldn't agree more and its could to see that he's aware of that and that awareness should only help improve in that area. His versatility is obviously a big plus but his best fit is without a doubt, LE in a 4-3.

HawkeyeFan
12-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Could he play RE?