12-23-2010, 11:02 AM
According to Joe Schad:

-Terrelle Pryor
-DeVier Posey
-Boom Herron
-Mike Adams
-Solomon Thomas

Still can play in Sugar Bowl.

Jordan Whiting also suspended for the first game of the season next year.

Reason is selling apparel, awards, and gifts. Pryor reportedly sold his Big Ten Ring, sportsmanship award, and gold pants award from beating Michigan.

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/

Giantsfan1080
12-23-2010, 11:05 AM
That's the BCS and ESPN saying we don't want to lose an audience to mess up the ratings. What hypocrisy.

keylime_5
12-23-2010, 11:07 AM
well that sucks. goodbye 2011 season.

TitanHope
12-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Some huge names. Why are these guys getting suspended?

Edit: Ninja edit! Curses!

Sniper
12-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Joe Bauserman vs. Miami in Miami?

Fap.

Shane P. Hallam
12-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Joe Bauserman vs. Miami in Miami?

Fap.

We may see Braxton Miller sooner rather than later.

Shane P. Hallam
12-23-2010, 11:10 AM
In addition, I think we see Pryor, Posey, and Herron in the NFL next year because of this.

Sniper
12-23-2010, 11:11 AM
We may see Braxton Miller sooner rather than later.

Part of the punishment should be having to start Bauserman against Miami and have him play the whole game. It's only fair!

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-23-2010, 11:12 AM
lol Pryor selling sportsmanship award, ironic. Why give these kids gifts if they are not free to do what they want with them? Say a bowl gave a kids a watch they can't see it if they have no use for it?

Sniper
12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
https://twitter.com/TPeezy2

I paid for my tattoos. GoBucks

Well, now we know how!

redbills
12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
lol Pryor selling sportsmanship award, ironic. Why give these kids gifts if they are not free to do what they want with them? Say a bowl gave a kids a watch they can't see it if they have no use for it?

no ****, this is bs.
you want to sell your 08 big ten champ. ring, okay but in 25 years you'll wish you didn't.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
The players are eligibile[sic] for the bowl game because the NCAA determined they did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred, Lennon said."

Michigan
12-23-2010, 11:27 AM
The players are eligibile[sic] for the bowl game because the NCAA determined they did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred, Lennon said."

that's straight up ********

happy to hear the news though. made my morning.

Shane P. Hallam
12-23-2010, 11:27 AM

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 11:29 AM
These kids are all sorts stupid. Pryor being an idiot should shock no one. Boom doing this disappoints me quite a bit.

The NCAA is a joke. Cash Newton getting off is a joke so they come down on OSU. Great job guys. But they come down on four players that are probably going pro and another guy that is a role player. Also, they push the suspensions into next year. So basically, there is very little pain.

What a farce. Suspend them now if you are going to suspend them. This is such kabuki theater.

lod01
12-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Turdell just lost a boatload of $. On the flipside, at least an NFL club won't waste a 1st rounder on this bum. This was good for the NFL.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-23-2010, 11:30 AM
These kids are all sorts stupid. Pryor being an idiot should shock no one. Boom doing this disappoints me quite a bit.

The NCAA is a joke. Cash Newton getting off is a joke so they come down on OSU. Great job guys. But they come down on four players that are probably going pro and another guy that is a role player. Also, they push the suspensions into next year. So basically, there is very little pain.

What a farce. Suspend them now if you are going to suspend them. This is such kabuki theater.

Lets not forget USC golf cart scandal

Sniper
12-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Much like Cam Newton didn't know of anything his dad was doing.

Shane P. Hallam
12-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Turdell just lost a boatload of $. On the flipside, at least an NFL club won't waste a 1st rounder on this bum. This was good for the NFL.

I wouldn't count your chickens...

He probably didn't lose much, he wasn't going to be a QB at the next level anyway. His stock will come down to his willingness to play WR and how he performs at the combine.

NGSeiler
12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
In addition, I think we see Pryor, Posey, and Herron in the NFL next year because of this.

Same thing I was thinking.

J-Mike88
12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
UN******BELIEVABLE!!
What apologists.... again, this shows they're more concerned with the BS BCS bowl crap games than anything else, especially fairness and rules.

They did bad enough that they're suspended for 5 games right? But the excuse is these fools didn't receive adequate education on these things? Really?

Now I will be rooting for the SEC once again against the Buckeyes!

J-Mike88
12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Wow, that will really hurt the team.
Who's that against, Middle Montana State?

wonderbredd24
12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Depending on who you talk to... a lot of Buckeye fans would rather have them suspended for the Bowl game than for any important games next year, so 5 games next year is actually worse.

Michigan
12-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Depending on who you talk to... a lot of Buckeye fans would rather have them suspended for the Bowl game than for any important games next year, so 5 games next year is actually worse.

it should be both

Halsey
12-23-2010, 11:53 AM
They need to be suspended, but not for the Bowl game? Typical...

Sniper
12-23-2010, 11:54 AM
it should be both

They should be suspended for the bowl and five games selected at random by....me.

The random five games are...Miami, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan.

wonderbredd24
12-23-2010, 11:55 AM
They should be suspended for the bowl and five games selected at random by....me.

The random five games are...Miami, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan.

The streak would remain intact

Sniper
12-23-2010, 11:56 AM
The streak would remain intact

Yeah, but I want to lose to a different group of players. I'm getting bored with losing by more than 30 to these guys. Bauserman could make the game interesting.

MassNole
12-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Why isn't OSU losing games retroactively for playing ineligible players?

umphrey
12-23-2010, 12:01 PM
So Terrell Pryor will go pro (likely) and the beginning of the end of his football career has begun.

Brent
12-23-2010, 12:06 PM
so, who is the likely starter for the buckeyes next year? Bauserman, Graham or Guiton?

wonderbredd24
12-23-2010, 12:07 PM
so, who is the likely starter for the buckeyes next year? Bauserman, Graham or Guiton?
I would hope it's some combination of Guiton/Miller

Sniper
12-23-2010, 12:10 PM

If there truly is a God above, it will be Bauserman.

Arsenal
12-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Not sure if others in the program feel this way but I was listening to Colin Cowherd's radio show and Kirk Herbstreit was just tearing Terrelle Pryor apart.

Herbstreit called the suspensions addition by subtraction because it gets rid of selfish, me-first players. He said Pryor still thinks he is the next Michael Vick, Vince Young, Cam Newton, etc. but in reality he isn't in the same stratosphere. That no one at Ohio State or in his personal life has ever told him he's just not that good.

He also called Pryor's time at Ohio State a "complete failure" because he went there to be a NFL player but hasn't improved his NFL stock any. Went on to say Ohio State doesn't need people who think they are already NFL stars like Pryor but guys who want to come to Ohio State to play in the Horseshoe and win Big 10 championships.

MassNole
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Wow, way to go Kirk calling out a tOSU kid!

Shane P. Hallam
12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Wow, that will really hurt the team.
Who's that against, Middle Montana State?

First 5 games are:

-Akron
-Toledo
-@Miami (FL)
-Colorado
-Michigan State

MassNole
12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
First 5 games are:

-Akron
-Toledo
-@Miami (FL)
-Colorado
-Michigan State
Only one game there OSU should worry about

Sniper
12-23-2010, 12:26 PM
http://columbus.craigslist.org/clt/2127040159.html

Bringing the lulz. I'd take a screenshot, but I'm dumb and don't know how to.

no bare feet
12-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Pryor will be a fine Tight End or WR.

umphrey
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Pryor will be a fine Tight End or WR.
Except he has no agility whatsoever, mediocre straight line speed, bad work ethic, terrible football instincts, and ... oh yeah he's never played there before

wonderbredd24
12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Except he has no agility whatsoever, mediocre straight line speed, bad work ethic, terrible football instincts, and ... oh yeah he's never played there before
Not one of those is true including not playing wide receiver before. He did as a freshman.

I'm not a Pryor defender and think he is a terrible quarterback, but he's an exceptional athlete

Sniper
12-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Not one of those is true including not playing wide receiver before. He did as a freshman.

For, what, three snaps that consisted of running 10-yard fades in the end zone?

umphrey
12-23-2010, 12:44 PM

I'm not a Pryor defender and think he is a terrible quarterback, but he's an exceptional athlete
He runs with one of the longest strides I've ever seen. No way he's going to be able to run routes and make cuts and quickly accelerate or stop at an NFL level. Further, when he runs the ball, he grades out pretty poorly at following his blockers and being aware of where people are. When he takes off to run, he gets yards in college because he has straight line speed and the defenders are spread out defending the pass. He could get a lot more if he actually ran the right way and had any shiftiness at all. Last, what exactly did he learn in his freshman year that you think will translate -at all- to the pro game?

SolidGold
12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
On top of his subpar QB skills (accuracy, reading defenses, throwing mechanics etc.) Pryor now has proof of character concerns that need to be addressed. Pryor is nothing "revolutionary" in terms of athletic ability (think Matt Jones), he was just hyped up as a blue chip recruit and has never lived up to his expectations.

I agree with all of Herbstreit's comments Arsenal posted earlier in the thread.

kalbears13
12-23-2010, 12:54 PM

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/kaddyescalade/sugarbowl.jpg

BeerBaron
12-23-2010, 01:06 PM
That's the BCS and ESPN saying we don't want to lose an audience to mess up the ratings. What hypocrisy.

This is the first thing I thought too. They shouldn't be allowed to play in the Bowl game either. Complete hypocrisy.

But I've long determined that logic, reason and common sense simply cannot be applied to anything college football related.....alas.

Halsey
12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Pryor sure gets a lot of people's panties in a wad. He's helped OSU win a lot of games, but people talk about him like OSU has never won a game since he became the starting QB as a true freshman. OSU fans are just mad that they haven't won 3 national titles in a row since he got there and other fans just don't like his cockiness.

SickwithIt1010
12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
wow....this just made my day.

thebow305
12-23-2010, 01:21 PM

I don't know about Herron, but I definitely think Pryor, Posey and Adams will bolt now. I think Mike has the most to gain here, he's the only first rounder out of the 3 IMO.

iowatreat54
12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Thank you stupid OSU players for taking the Big Ten torch for dumb off the field incident during the offseason(ish) from Iowa.

Also, if they did sell off those things, they all deserve what they get for just being morons.

Shane P. Hallam
12-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't know about Herron, but I definitely think Pryor, Posey and Adams will bolt now. I think Mike has the most to gain here, he's the only first rounder out of the 3 IMO.

Adams has not had a great season, I think he'd be a late rounder at best if he declared now. Herron was already in heavy consideration of leaving, so we will see.

Sniper
12-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Adams has not had a great season, I think he'd be a late rounder at best if he declared now. Herron was already in heavy consideration of leaving, so we will see.

Didn't he get first-team All-Big 10?

JHL6719
12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
UN******BELIEVABLE!!
What apologists.... again, this shows they're more concerned with the BS BCS bowl crap games than anything else, especially fairness and rules.

They did bad enough that they're suspended for 5 games right? But the excuse is these fools didn't receive adequate education on these things? Really?

Now I will be rooting for the SEC once again against the Buckeyes!

They're only 0-9 against the SEC in bowl games anyway... they could use a little support ya know...

BeerBaron
12-23-2010, 01:42 PM
They're only 0-9 against the SEC in bowl games anyway... they could use a little support ya know...

Incorrecto. Penn State beat LSU last year.

JHL6719
12-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Incorrecto. Penn State beat LSU last year.

Lol... I was talking about Ohio Tate...

BeerBaron
12-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Ah, I thought you meant Big 10 vs. SEC last year or something. My mistake.

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Yeah, the Big10 is 6-5 vs the SEC in bowl games since 2002. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM CHERRY PICKED NUMBAS?

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
wow....this just made my day.

Cool. Now go find some other team to add to your front runner list. Oregon is pretty hot now and west coast so you should like them.

USC AND BSU AND OREGON OMG ITZ DA GIBBLZ

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Didn't he get first-team All-Big 10?

Shane = Buckeye Eeyore

JHL6719
12-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, the Big10 is 6-5 vs the SEC in bowl games since 2002. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM CHERRY PICKED NUMBAS?

Not quite as impressive as the 0-9... but they'll do..

Smooth Criminal
12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
********. I find it hilarious and ironic he's getting suspended for selling his sportsmanship award.

I like the crackdown by the NCAA on violations. They really need to start cleaning things like this up to bring some of the credibility back. But then things like Cam Newton getting the Heisman destroy the credibility. Everyone just accepts that these things happen at every school, and the crackdown lately should make programs look into putting a stop to it. I don't think selling your own things is wrong, but its against the rules so until they are changed, they should be enforced. Their bowl game excuse is lame as hell, and 5 games for this kind of violation is pretty rough. Akron, Toledo, Miami, Colorado, and Michigan State will be the games missed, so theres at least 2 losses penciled in there.

Dissapointing, but its whatever. I'd expect atleast Posey and Herron to declare for the draft now. Adams is a possibility, and I can see Pryor letting his ego get the better of him and deciding that he can go pro. I highly doubt he'll want to come back and play without the possibility of getting a Heisman, and likely with no hope of going undefeated and playing for a title.

Really puts OSU in a bind next year offensivly. If these guys all declare, we'll be losing Pryor, Herron, Saine, Posey, and Sanz. Thats a ton of the offensive production. Judging from past performances, I think Guiton will get the start of the season over Bauserman, and either Braxton Miller will get a shot at some point later, or Pryor can take over if he stays around. A ton of the offense is going to rely a ton on a combination of Jordan Hall and Jamal Berry, with a new QB and no receivers that have proven anything.

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Not quite as impressive as the 0-9... but they'll do..

This is true. I can't believe that collectively all of the slave states have been whooping up on OSU all of these years. Ya'll must be so proud.

ryno626
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM
It is a real shame they are gonna go 0-5 against the murderer's row of Akron, Toledo, []_[], Colorado and Sparty

SickwithIt1010
12-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Cool. Now go find some other team to add to your front runner list. Oregon is pretty hot now and west coast so you should like them.

USC AND BSU AND OREGON OMG ITZ DA GIBBLZ

My front runner list? the list that consists of the teams from LA.....where i am from...BSU from idaho...where i currently live.

Hmmm, sounds really out of this world i know.

shut the **** up.

J-Mike88
12-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Why isn't OSU losing games retroactively for playing ineligible players?
Answer: It's Ohio State.

Mark May and the boys on ESPN College Football Today just CRUCIFIED the double-standard, hypocritical BCS and NCAA, Big Ten in general.
Hope everyone in the public eye does.

Where's by E Gordon Gee thread again?

BeerBaron
12-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Where's by E Gordon Gee thread again?

Don't get me started on that douchebag again....

And did you hear their AD talking on ESPN? He was saying about how they're going to submit "mitigating circumstances" to the NCAA or some other BS to try and get the suspensions reduced.

WTF!! Jesus H. Christ I hate Ohio ******* State. You think your above the ******* law. Your players sold **** they shouldn't have been selling....what the **** mitigating circumstances can there possibly be?

Translation: "We're going to remind the NCAA that we are Ohio State and get them to let our players off."

**** you Ohio State. You can burn in hell.

wonderbredd24
12-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Don't get me started on that douchebag again....

And did you hear their AD talking on ESPN? He was saying about how they're going to submit "mitigating circumstances" to the NCAA or some other BS to try and get the suspensions reduced.

WTF!! Jesus H. Christ I hate Ohio ******* State. You think your above the ******* law. Your players sold **** they shouldn't have been selling....what the **** mitigating circumstances can there possibly be?

Translation: "We're going to remind the NCAA that we are Ohio State and get them to let our players off."

**** you Ohio State. You can burn in hell.
Yea, **** Ohio State and your self reporting wrong doing ****. Stupid honesty. Be like Auburn and pray no one finds out instead. Bastards.

diabsoule
12-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Georgia's A.J. Green was suspended for 4 games for selling his jersey so there is a precedent for these type of circumstances. The only problem I have with the punishment is that they should sit out for the bowl game instead of still being allowed to play.

Smooth Criminal
12-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Them playing the bowl game is ridiculous, and simply proves the NCAA and the BCS are nothing more than a money grab. Making the suspensions half of next season seems long, but then again im guessing many of thm will just choose to go pro and avoid it anyway.

BeerBaron
12-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Yea, **** Ohio State and your self reporting wrong doing ****. Stupid honesty. Be like Auburn and pray no one finds out instead. Bastards.

As soon as it was said that they will seek reduced suspensions, ANY good they might have done in this situation went out the window.

In fact, if you want to set an incredible precedent, self impose a suspension of those players for the bowl game as well.

Any illusion of the NCAA "maintaining the integrity of the game" went out the window when they weren't suspended for the bowl game. Absolute BS.

If Tressell really does care about the thing she says he does, he should suspend these players himself for the bowl game. Clearly team and unity and integrity and all of the other "rights things" he is saying mean nothing in the end.

And Auburn is a completely different situation, doesn't even compare. They investigated, and I still think they are letting Newton play because of the money involved. A few months from now, it'll probably come out that he is going to be in trouble as well, his Heisman will eventually be stripped and Auburn will lose the wins from this season...

...but not after the schools and NCAA squeeze every damn penny out of the situation.

The NCAA has become greedy and corrupt. The integrity of the game no longer matters to them so long as they get their money....it's going to take someone from within to ever change anything.

I'm hoping the SEC "secedes" from the NCAA...start their own college athletics association. They could probably convince Texas to join them and really threaten the NCAA.

I hope it happens. I hate the NCAA. I hate the BCS. And I hate that any sort of integrity the game could possess is now tarnished beyond all recognition.

/rant.

diabsoule
12-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Them playing the bowl game is ridiculous, and simply proves the NCAA and the BCS are nothing more than a money grab. Making the suspensions half of next season seems long, but then again im guessing many of thm will just choose to go pro and avoid it anyway.

Exactly, and if they do that then they come out unscathed. They should sit for the bowl game. I know that would make the bowl game less desirable to watch but that's just tough titty.

jballa838
12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
calling BS on the "not informed" quote. There is literally 20 pages of documents every NCAA Student-Athlete has to sign and i'm pretty sure this is in there. Also, you have to attend a couple required presentations about NCAA rules, this being one of them.

these 5 guys can go off themselves for making the required compliance meetings another 10 minutes longer.

BeerBaron
12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Exactly, and if they do that then they come out unscathed. They should sit for the bowl game. I know that would make the bowl game less desirable to watch but that's just tough titty.

Like I said, Tressell should suspend them himself. He is saying all the "right things" now, about how these aren't the values that he teaches and blah blah blah.....team team team, values values values...

Suspend them yourself. You have the power. Don't play them. SHOW that these are the values you teach and believe in.

But he won't. He knows he needs them to win. My respect for anything Ohio State related continues to ebb away.

Smooth Criminal
12-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I think its very comparable to the Auburn and Newton situation. The NCAA let Newton play because they made a ton of money off of him, and theyre going to do the same thing with the Buckeyes players for the bowl games.

And I definitely think its the right thing for the school to both turn in the violation, and fight for it to be reduced. Ethically, they should turn themselves in, but no one does. And at the same time, these are their players. Of course they're going to fight for a shorter suspension. I mean why not? It never hurts to ask. The worst thing the NCAA can do is say no.

5 games seems like a lot for something like this. But the rules are the rules, and everyone knew them. Its up to the program, coaches, and other players to police themselves against things like this. I think the rules like this need reevaluated, but as of now it is what it is.

jballa838
12-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I think its very comparable to the Auburn and Newton situation. The NCAA let Newton play because they made a ton of money off of him, and theyre going to do the same thing with the Buckeyes players for the bowl games.

exactly. If they declare him ineligible now, do they forfeit every game he played in? it's too messy.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Wow Pryor sold his sportsmanship award for clothes and apparel, what a guy.

P-L
12-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Pryor should've just claim that he didn't know he was receiving money. It sure worked for Cam Newton.

keylime_5
12-23-2010, 03:57 PM

1st team all big ten by coaches and media. he had a very good season anyhow. that said he needs another year, he's not ready for the NFL yet despite having a great year this year.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-23-2010, 03:59 PM
"@Antoniopittman This osu tattoo stuff is silly. Cats been gettin hookups on tatts since back in 01"

Allegedly was up but has been since taken down and...

@Brewster50: Why couldn't we get the investigators that handled the auburn case??

keylime_5
12-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I think Pryor still stays another year. Posey, Adams, and Herron wouldn't surprise me one bit if they bolted but I have a feeling Pryor sticks it out for his last 8 games of his career.

Also it would shock me if Miller didn't start the season ahead of Bauserman and Guiton. He comes in during the spring and if Pryor can start as a true frosh over Boeckman after 2 games w/o being here for spring ball, then Miller can start over Bauserman the Terrible after a spring and fall camp.

Brent
12-23-2010, 04:02 PM

christ that **** is ******* funny.

RealityCheck
12-23-2010, 04:07 PM
If you haven't met before, may I introduce you guys... Terrelle Pryor, this is 7th round. 7th round, this is Terrelle Pryor.

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
If you haven't met before, may I introduce you guys... Terrelle Pryor, this is 7th round. 7th round, this is Terrelle Pryor.

7th round is favorable. Huge character concerns coupled with idiotic on the field and off the field decision making. And a mediocre arm for a physical freak.

It all adds up to fail.

The NCAA is a joke. Cash Newton walks because everyone from the family to Auburn to the SEC commissioner get's their lies straight and then they get him off of the hook, despite a freaking rule that says you or your family can't solicit money.

OSU self reports and gets bent over. Except they aren't really that bent over because the players involved are likely out this season anyways and they can play in the bowl game.

Basically this all adds up to pay players in a way that everyone can deny that the player or the school knew.

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 04:29 PM
My front runner list? the list that consists of the teams from LA.....where i am from...BSU from idaho...where i currently live.

Hmmm, sounds really out of this world i know.

shut the **** up.

Why would you move from LA to Boise?

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 04:33 PM
The NCAA has become greedy and corrupt. The integrity of the game no longer matters to them so long as they get their money....it's going to take someone from within to ever change anything.

I'm hoping the SEC "secedes" from the NCAA...start their own college athletics association. They could probably convince Texas to join them and really threaten the NCAA.

I hope it happens. I hate the NCAA. I hate the BCS. And I hate that any sort of integrity the game could possess is now tarnished beyond all recognition.

The SEC is as bad as or worse than the old SWC. They are some corrupt mofos. I say it should all go pro and make this stuff above board.

All of the big schools cheat. Some go crazy with it. Why not just legitimize this behavior?

P-L
12-23-2010, 05:03 PM
He's a pitcher for Lewis-Clark State College.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Typical students don't have the ability to reap some of the benefits the athletes do? No ****. Most of these guys are on full rides they aren't the typical student. Feel like this has to infringe on their personal rights. Say you are an honor student maybe even line in an honors dorm, you can have kids pay you to be a tutor. How is that fair? The typical student can't reap that benefit.

Sniper
12-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Mark May- "I guarantee that if a player from the SEC did this, they wouldn't be playing in the Sugar Bowl."

Like, seriously, dickhead? What the **** is Cam Newton doing these days?

"The NCAA won't punish their sacred cows in the Big 10 and the Pac-10."

Again, seriously? Does the name Reggie Bush ring a bell or six?

SeanTaylorRIP
12-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Just listening to that what an idiot. Then he used AJ Green as an example, what an idiot. Green sold his jersey after the bowl game how would they have suspended him for the bowl game? He compared letting Green play the season opener and then suspending him to suspending someone for a bowl game, there is no comparison.

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Mark May- "I guarantee that if a player from the SEC did this, they wouldn't be playing in the Sugar Bowl."

Like, seriously, dickhead? What the **** is Cam Newton doing these days?

"The NCAA won't punish their sacred cows in the Big 10 and the Pac-10."

Again, seriously? Does the name Reggie Bush ring a bell or six?

The worsening WWE style coverage of cfb by ESPN is terrible. I have not watched nonsporting events on ESPN for years. Their scripted yelling is a waste of time. I hope the big10 pac12 and big12 form their own collective network and cut the mouse out.

keylime_5
12-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I put my human ignore button on Mark May's mouth about 7 years ago.

SickwithIt1010
12-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Cost of living, the life in cali is a **** ton more expensive than it is in Idaho my man. Even though money isnt that valuable anywhere anymore.

I actually live in Coeur d' alene Idaho, which is northern idaho, but i have grown to hate the university of Idaho and a lot of my teammates from high school play at BSU, so thats that ive been a bronco fan.

He's a pitcher for Lewis-Clark State College.

Thank you for backing me up kind sir.

Babylon
12-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Cost of living, the life in cali is a **** ton more expensive than it is in Idaho my man. Even though money isnt that valuable anywhere anymore.

I actually live in Coeur d' alene Idaho, which is northern idaho, but i have grown to hate the university of Idaho and a lot of my teammates from high school play at BSU, so thats that ive been a bronco fan.

Love the lake over there, first went there when my son was at Gonzaga.

SickwithIt1010
12-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Love the lake over there, first went there when my son was at Gonzaga.

Thats what we are known for, really big summer town. Getting swarmed with tourists more and more every year.

Sportsfan486
12-23-2010, 06:37 PM
The NCAA is officially, publicly corrupt. 5 games next season? Wait a second, don't the Buckeyes still play a game this year? So they're letting ineligible players.. play..? Why in the world would they do that?

OH YEAH, IT'S THE MONEY! What a ******* joke. I'm not sure which is worse, this or Cam. Cam at least they pretended like he did nothing wrong, here they can't even dispute it but are saying because they "didn't know" that something everyone and their ******* mothers knows is a violation that they'll be allowed to play the last game this year but not games next year, when they might have already declared? I mean, are they really going with that angle? "So, we can't take any money.. but we can sell stuff they give us, like AWARDS, right?" I mean come. *******. On.

Just ******* get rid of the "rules" already. They're obviously not enforced for any good teams.

kalbears13
12-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Edit: Nvm...

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 07:06 PM

I heard you Cali folk were making it expensive. I also heard it's beautiful. If you can handle the cold in the winter.

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 07:07 PM
The NCAA is officially, publicly corrupt. 5 games next season? Wait a second, don't the Buckeyes still play a game this year? So they're letting ineligible players.. play..? Why in the world would they do that?

OH YEAH, IT'S THE MONEY! What a ******* joke. I'm not sure which is worse, this or Cam. Cam at least they pretended like he did nothing wrong, here they can't even dispute it but are saying because they "didn't know" that something everyone and their ******* mothers knows is a violation that they'll be allowed to play the last game this year but not games next year, when they might have already declared? I mean, are they really going with that angle? "So, we can't take any money.. but we can sell stuff they give us, like AWARDS, right?" I mean come. *******. On.

Just ******* get rid of the "rules" already. They're obviously not enforced for any good teams.

Pretty much agree. It's a farce. Professionalize it already.

SickwithIt1010
12-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I heard you Cali folk were making it expensive. I also heard it's beautiful. If you can handle the cold in the winter.

Ive lived in Idaho much longer than i lived in Cali, so i guess you could consider us Idahoans....but the winter hasnt been too bad the last couple years, but could get brutal at any given moment.

kalbears13
12-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Ive lived in Idaho much longer than i lived in Cali, so i guess you could consider us Idahoans....but the winter hasnt been too bad the last couple years, but could get brutal at any given moment.

I got excited at first when I saw Lewis-Clark State University because I know a few guys from my HS that went to Lewis & Clark College in Portland but then I realized they were two different places...

SickwithIt1010
12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I got excited at first when I saw Lewis-Clark State University because I know a few guys from my HS that went to Lewis & Clark College in Portland but then I realized they were two different places...

Yeah its really weird because we are so close, and both schools mascot is the warriors haha.

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 07:47 PM

Word. I definitely want to visit there... in the summer :)

SickwithIt1010
12-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Word. I definitely want to visit there... in the summer :)

Come on down. Take ya out on the boat.

JHL6719
12-23-2010, 09:23 PM
This is true. I can't believe that collectively all of the slave states have been whooping up on OSU all of these years. Ya'll must be so proud.

Yeah we get tired of beating up on each other all the time in the SEC. Every now and then the Yanks from up north deserve a dose of good ol' fashion country boy a** whoopin'.

On the bright side, OSU has the opportunity to make it an even 0-10 in few weeks ;)

Michigan
12-23-2010, 09:50 PM
If you want a good laugh:

http://sportsrings.net/home.php

The other two teams on there shouldn't be surprising either.

Sportsfan486
12-23-2010, 09:54 PM
If you want a good laugh:

http://sportsrings.net/home.php

The other two teams on there shouldn't be surprising either.

Meh, if I was a bench player and was going on to some entry-level position I'd sell that ****. What am I going to do? Wear it around? "WOW, YOU WERE ON THE TIDE?! WERE YOU GOOD?!" "Well, I rode the bench but my moral support was really the key."

JoeJoeBrown
12-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Yeah we get tired of beating up on each other all the time in the SEC. Every now and then the Yanks from up north deserve a dose of good ol' fashion country boy a** whoopin'.

On the bright side, OSU has the opportunity to make it an even 0-10 in few weeks ;)

Joking aside, I think 0-10 will happen, regardless of suspensions. I also think it's BS that they aren't suspended for the SB. I hope JT mulls it over and does it. Integrity means a lot. At the end of the day he's just a football coach, no matter what pedestal people in Ohio put him on.

JHL6719
12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Joking aside, I think 0-10 will happen, regardless of suspensions. I also think it's BS that they aren't suspended for the SB. I hope JT mulls it over and does it. Integrity means a lot. At the end of the day he's just a football coach, no matter what pedestal people in Ohio put him on.

Can't disagree with you there, it just doesn't make much sense from where I'm standing either. Either way, it's still peanuts compared to what's going on at Aubarn.

Bias aside, I can only in good conscience favor one Big-10 team in the bowl matchups with the SEC. I think Penn St. beats Florida.

Other than that, I like the SEC in all the other matchups with Big-10 teams... if I was a betting man, of course. o-O

Smooth Criminal
12-23-2010, 11:42 PM
If only they had chosen to steal laptops instead of sell their own property in order to make money they wouldn't be suspended.

NotRickJames
12-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Should've gotten Cecil Newton to sell their gear for them.

BlockO22
12-24-2010, 02:00 AM
as of right now, none of Pryor, Posey, Adams, or Herron are going to go pro

obviously things could change, but they have told people on the team and close to OSU football they will return and make up for this. None of them want to go out like this or be remembered for this.

Sniper
12-24-2010, 06:36 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/12/24/poseys-mom-blames-ncaa-for-players-money-plight.html?sid=101

Julie Posey is grateful that her son DeVier has an athletic scholarship to Ohio State.

A widow with four children, she appreciates that the scholarship provides for tuition, books and room and board. But she also is fully aware of what an athletic scholarship does not cover, which is virtually everything else.

It is a gap that she estimates costs her thousands of dollars per year in miscellaneous living expenses.

blah blah blah...

Julie Posey said the NCAA - not her son and not Ohio State - is the real guilty party.

"The NCAA is amazing," she said. "Every time you turn around, they come up with something new to ensure that the young men that have poured their hearts and souls and energy and intellect into their craft are continually kept at a disadvantage when everybody else around them is running to the bank."

What a ******* twat.

JoeJoeBrown
12-24-2010, 08:04 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/12/24/poseys-mom-blames-ncaa-for-players-money-plight.html?sid=101

What a ******* twat.

Pretty much. Also a sad indication of the state of American society today. Entitlement and it's always somebody else's fault.

Brent
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Wait, you mean she only has to pay a few thousand each year for her son to attend Ohio State? You mean that room and board & tuition and fees, which runs to about 20k a year (sauce (http://undergrad.osu.edu/money-matters/tuition-and-fees.html)) only costs you a few thousand? **** you, lady.

J-Mike88
12-24-2010, 09:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5951832

Pat Forde:

NCAA ruling defies common sense

A few clips:

Newton said he didn't know that his father attempted to sell Cam's services to Mississippi State for $180,000. That deniability has kept Newton on the field as the Tigers have marched into the BCS National Championship Game.
Thursday at Ohio State, we learned that five players didn't know it was a no-no to sell championship rings, game gear and personal awards for cash. Why didn't they know? According to the NCAA release, the players "did not receive adequate rules education" from the school at the time of the transgressions, which occurred in 2009. That deniability will allow all five to play in the Buckeyes' Sugar Bowl showdown with Arkansas on Jan. 4.
So there you have it, future NCAA rules breakers of America (and your parents). Go for the gold. When you get caught, shrug and say, "Why, I had no idea." Blame it on your dad and/or a negligent compliance staff at your university.
The NCAA has done it again, producing a ruling that defies common sense and provokes suspicions about ulterior motives.

J-Mike88
12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
By the way, can anyone explain to me the difference between these 2 high profile QB's cases and that of Rhett Bomar a few years back at Oklahoma?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Should have given everything to their parents as gifts. Then the parents should have turned around and solid it. When the NCAA comes questioning to the athletes play the idiot card.

keylime_5
12-24-2010, 09:42 AM

What a ******* twat.

bad form! Mama Posey is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Sniper
12-24-2010, 09:50 AM
bad form! Mama Posey is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Apparently, also one of the dumbest. Looks like the apple doesn't fall from the tree in that case.

keylime_5
12-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I think biased is a better word than dumb here.

Smooth Criminal
12-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Wait, you mean she only has to pay a few thousand each year for her son to attend Ohio State? You mean that room and board & tuition and fees, which runs to about 20k a year (sauce (http://undergrad.osu.edu/money-matters/tuition-and-fees.html)) only costs you a few thousand? **** you, lady.

Mines 30k a year. IDK if Posey is in state or out, but out of state is over 30k now.

Smooth Criminal
12-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Apparently, also one of the dumbest. Looks like the apple doesn't fall from the tree in that case.

She knows whats shes talking about here. Its definitely not a dumb argument, whether or not you agree with it. These college players are given very little compared to the money that everyone else in college football is making. And rules about selling their own personal property are ********.

And at the same time, I'm sure Posey only sold things when he was in a desperate need of money to buy lifes necesities. Like tattoos.

Sniper
12-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Mines 30k a year. IDK if Posey is in state or out, but out of state is over 30k now.

Posey is from Cincy, so he's in-state.

She knows whats shes talking about here.

No, she doesn't.

Its definitely not a dumb argument, whether or not you agree with it. These college players are given very little compared to the money that everyone else in college football is making.

Yeah, I feel just so bad for the kids who have their education, books, housing, injuries and training table meals paid for. I'll weep for them the next time I write out my check for my student loans. Oh, wait, there's a ******* concept. If you're so strapped for cash (hint: they're not), get a ******* loan. Work a job in the summer. Get the **** out of here with that ****. Great, Ohio State football makes money. Most D-1 programs don't. Plus, thanks to Title IX, if you want to pay Terrelle Pryor, you also pay the backup libero on the women's volleyball team. Posey and everyone else get plenty.

College football players get the most of any student and ***** the most of any student. If a kid tears their ACL and needs surgery, who pays for it? Right, the school. I hear the Woody Hayes Athletic Center is quite the workout facility for the Buckeye athletes. I wonder how the school pays for it. Oh, right, all of the money that apparently goes to the "evil NCAA". By all accounts, Texas has a weight room that would probably make most S&C coaches (oh hey, there's someone else who gets paid because of football's profit) fall to their knees and cry tears of joy. I wonder how they paid for it.

The Buckeyes' beloved coach and his multi-million dollar salary? Paid for by the team's profits. But yeah, let's ***** and cry about this "travesty". I'll switch positions with DeVier Posey. He can have my student loans and I'll take the free education. I bet you I can make enough money to survive.

Shane P. Hallam
12-24-2010, 10:36 AM
And they do get paid. The Pell Grant is out there. The money for books is double what ANYONE would spend on books. When I was an RA for some of the football players, one kid bought his books then used the rest of the cash to buy new tennis shoes.

Smooth Criminal
12-24-2010, 10:38 AM
You list all the people that get paid because of OSU players, but the players aren't among that group. When it comes down to it Posey as the example is going to end up with about 60k if he stays all for years. Nice pay day certainly, but nothing outrageous or even comparble to what the others involved in college football are making.

I don't think they should be paid, but players certainly should be able to sell their own property to anyone thats willing to buy it.

Sniper
12-24-2010, 11:01 AM
When it comes down to it Posey as the example is going to end up with about 60k if he stays all for years.

Really? 60K? Uh, try harder.

Sniper
12-24-2010, 11:11 AM
http://undergrad.osu.edu/admissions/quick-facts.html

•Tuition (full-time undergraduate, Columbus): $9,420

•Room and board (most popular combination): $10,164

Let's be generous and say $400 for books per quarter since OSU is on quarters: $1,600

Meal plan.

Essentially a gym membership at the WHAC.

Injury care, surgeries, and rehabilitation paid for.

Training table, drinks and good nutritional foods.

Emergency fund- see Evan Turner's braces.

Am I missing anything?

Sorry DeVier, they won't pay for your tattoos. Rough life you've got going on.

iowatreat54
12-24-2010, 11:15 AM
http://undergrad.osu.edu/admissions/quick-facts.html

Let's be generous and say $400 for books per quarter since OSU is on quarters: $1,600

Meal plan.

Essentially a gym membership at the WHAC.

Injury care, surgeries, and rehabilitation paid for.

Training table, drinks and good nutritional foods.

Emergency fund- see Evan Turner's braces.

Am I missing anything?

Sorry DeVier, they won't pay for your tattoos. Rough life you've got going on.

99% of the time the school will help them find a job during the summer.

Basically, there is little to nothing that the school won't cover/help you out with if you really want.

Sorry, but normal college kids aren't making enough money to afford flat screen TVs or brand new cars, so neither should athletes. If they wanted, football players would easily have enough money and other benefits that they would be living a modest lifestyle 24/7. It's the fact that they think they don't have enough money to buy **** they don't need.

Smooth Criminal
12-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Not too far off. I wasn't familiar with how much tutition is for in state, because I'm out of state. And Books at $400 would only be $1200. They're called quarters, but most students only take classes for 3 of them. Even with all that, it doesn't compare to what everyone else involved in college football makes.

But no matter what he gets it doesn't change the fact that he should be allowed to sell anything that he owns.

Brent
12-24-2010, 11:18 AM
By the way, can anyone explain to me the difference between these 2 high profile QB's cases and that of Rhett Bomar a few years back at Oklahoma?
They are selling their stuff, which they cannot do. Rhett took a job at a dealership which paid him a lot of money for not working at all.

P-L
12-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Even with all that, it doesn't compare to what everyone else involved in college football makes.
This has no real relevance to anything at all. That's how the real world works. Life's a ***** sometimes and not always fair.

Smooth Criminal
12-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Thats all fine and well, but the NCAA shouldn't have ******** rules preventing players from selling their own property in order to get more money. Thats what this whole issue is really about.

jballa838
12-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Thats all fine and well, but the NCAA shouldn't have ******** rules preventing players from selling their own property in order to get more money. Thats what this whole issue is really about.
without the NCAA, they would have not have gotten this property. That is their logic and it's pretty sound.

mellojello
12-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Life isn't fair, anyone who tells you differently is feeding you bs or just doesn't know better.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, USC got hosed. I'm a Cal fan and I was happy when SC got nailed, but I read the NCAA report and I was completely unconvinced that they had committed any kind of violation that fit the punishment. It will go down as a witchhunt in my mind and any reporter with any integrity would have called it the same way. Nobody had the balls to write about it becuaes the tide was completely against SC at the time.

The coaches that care about players as student-athletes and run clean programs end up in the unemployment line. Randy Shannon and Phillip Fulmer are two guys that come to mind. Yet, jackoffs like Lane Kiffin have a job. No, life is not fair.

I may watch the Oregon & Auburn game, but moreso becuase I like watching Oregon football. For the most part, I watch my Cal football and accept it for what it is. As far as caring for NCAA football, it doesn't do much for me and I have no interest in supporting it.

At least we still have the NFL.

Smooth Criminal
12-24-2010, 01:24 PM
without the NCAA, they would have not have gotten this property. That is their logic and it's pretty sound.

Not really. They own it they should be free to do whatever they want with it.

draftguru151
12-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Those things have value because they're athletes, so they're making money off of being athletes, which would make them professional not amateur athletes. No one said they can't sell them when they're not playing college football, but when you're an amateur athlete you're not allowed to make money off it.

Sniper
12-24-2010, 01:40 PM
This has no real relevance to anything at all. That's how the real world works. Life's a ***** sometimes and not always fair.

In the wise words of one of my editors at the newspaper I work for, "**** fair".

mellojello
12-24-2010, 02:15 PM
In the wise words of one of my editors at the newspaper I work for, "**** fair".You know, when you're in HS or even college, you may think that's the way the world works. I know there's some younger guys in this forum and if you don't believe it, ask your parents.

When I have kids, I plan to teach them that they can and probably should fight for fairness, but not to ever expect it.

J-Mike88
12-24-2010, 05:24 PM
They are selling their stuff, which they cannot do. Rhett took a job at a dealership which paid him a lot of money for not working at all.
OK, so it's pretty damn close.
Both got $, for not doing anything, but rather for being someone.

soybean
12-24-2010, 05:55 PM
If the NCAA refuses to ban them from the bowl game but the first five game of next year, what difference does it make if the NCAA says: "we'll ban them for the first five games of 2012"

P-L
12-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Allowing players to sell their own property would immediately lead to college athletes getting paid. What's to stop a coach from using something like this as a recruiting pitch: "Come to our school. If you sign with us, I can get a booster to buy your socks from you for $100,000"? College players take whatever money the wanted as long as they claim something of theirs was sold.

mellojello
12-24-2010, 06:28 PM
If the NCAA refuses to ban them from the bowl game but the first five game of next year, what difference does it make if the NCAA says: "we'll ban them for the first five games of 2012"Haha...I'd love to watch as someone at the NCAA answers this.

JoeJoeBrown
12-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Allowing players to sell their own property would immediately lead to college athletes getting paid. What's to stop a coach from using something like this as a recruiting pitch: "Come to our school. If you sign with us, I can get a booster to buy your socks from you for $100,000"? College players take whatever money the wanted as long as they claim something of theirs was sold.

Apparently this rule is pretty new. Like 2004. So I'd say selling flair for profit has been a reality for decades.

The fact is if a kid wants money he is going to get it. I think the idiots should be banned from the bowl (which OSU suggested but the NCAA rejected winkwink). But selling your own property for profit is not a heinous crime. I don't think you can or will stop kids from getting paid if they want it. This kinda crap happens everywhere.

JHL6719
12-25-2010, 04:34 AM
If the NCAA refuses to ban them from the bowl game but the first five game of next year, what difference does it make if the NCAA says: "we'll ban them for the first five games of 2012"

Exactly... what good does it do to ban them for the first 5 games next season if they all decide to enter the draft...

Either you're ruled eligible to play or you're not. If you're not eligible, it begins immediately. Not only that, but if they investigate and find that you were ineligible to play in games that have already taken place, you may have to vacate those games, face sanctions, etc.

I've never seen anything like this before in my life. It's ridiculous.

JoeJoeBrown
12-25-2010, 06:06 AM
Exactly... what good does it do to ban them for the first 5 games next season if they all decide to enter the draft...

Either you're ruled eligible to play or you're not. If you're not eligible, it begins immediately. Not only that, but if they investigate and find that you were ineligible to play in games that have already taken place, you may have to vacate those games, face sanctions, etc.

I've never seen anything like this before in my life. It's ridiculous.

Uhhh, you just saw something a hell of a lot worse with Cash Newton.

JHL6719
12-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Uhhh, you just saw something a hell of a lot worse with Cash Newton.

I'm talking about the NCAA and this "punishment", along with the ridiculous logic behind it, not whatever the alledged is guilty/not guilty of in either situation.

Cam was ruled eligible to play by the NCAA. Had he been ruled ineligible, he would've sat immediately, not next season. Auburn chose to play him anyway and take the risk because there was a shot at the national title at stake.

I've never seen kids be guilty of something that makes them ineligible to play, be ruled ineligible by the NCAA, and play anyway...

Your very first post that I quoted in this thread where you said none of this makes sense and I agreed with you.... well... this is why.

JoeJoeBrown
12-25-2010, 06:38 AM
I'm talking about the NCAA and this "punishment", along with the ridiculous logic behind it, not whatever the alledged is guilty/not guilty of in either situation.

Cam was ruled eligible to play by the NCAA. Had he been ruled ineligible, he would've sat immediately, not next season. Auburn chose to play him anyway and take the risk because there was a shot at the national title at stake.

I've never seen kids be guilty of something that makes them ineligible to play, be ruled ineligible by the NCAA, and play anyway...

Your very first post that I quoted in this thread where you said none of this makes sense and I agreed with you.... well... this is why.

I see. Sorry, I was confused by what you were flabbergasted about. Like you mentioned, I too am baffled by the logic. And supposedly, OSU wink wink nudge nudge, recommended SB suspension but the NCAA said nope. Yeah right, like anyone believes that.

It's all a farce and is for me the straw that broke the camel's back wrt the NCAA. A sport needs integrity to be successful. If you don't think that the game is as clean as it should be, then you start questioning motives, you start trying to figure out who is playing favorites, and it ends up ruining the game on the field.

Pretty frustrating. Stewart Mandel has a good writeup on it but doesn't take it far enough, IMO. The organization is a joke when schools get slaps on the wrist. And don't get me wrong, I think the rule they broke is a joke. But they should have followed it, as those rules are what it takes to play the game, no matter how silly. And those kids sure as hell knew it, despite what OSU is claiming.

Here is the link. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/12/23/ohio-state-suspensions-ncaa/index.html)

Sniper
12-27-2010, 09:31 AM
http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/2007_09_buckeye_disputes_i_didnt_know_defense/3854836

Thad Gibson's biceps disagree with the "Yeah, we didn't know we couldn't sell this stuff" argument.

The OSU players in questions are using a common answer, the same answer that Newton used in the midst of his scandal. Basically, they didn’t know they were in the wrong.

While it’s possible that the players are telling the truth, former Buckeye defensive starter and current San Francisco 49er Thaddeus Gibson said that they were told not to sell personal items fairly often. Gibson played for OSU from 2007-09.

“Oh yeah, they (OSU athletic director Gene Smith and the coaches) talked about it a lot,” Gibson said Thursday in a phone interview with The Lantern.

This would appear to contradict what Gene Smith said Thursday, unless those warnings didn’t start occurring until November 2009.

What say you, Antonio Pittman?

This osu tattoo stuff is silly. Cats been gettin hookups on tatts since back in 01

iowatreat54
12-27-2010, 01:48 PM
God, I wish I could just plead ignorance to every wrong doing I've ever done/will do.

"No, I swear officer, I had no idea she was unconscious and I have no idea how she got that way..."

Smooth Criminal
12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
You can plead ignorance, and like these players you wont get away with it. They got suspended 5 games and their names and school's repuation are tarnished. The only reason they're allowed to be playing in the bowl game is to make money for everyone else involved. And of course Gibson and Pittman say everyone knew that they were violations, no one actually believes the garbage ignorance excuse we're being fed. If these comments prove anything, its just further proof of how corrupt the NCAA is and how ******** ruling them eligible for the bowl game but not next season is.

The only one getting away with pleading ignorance is Cam Newton.

iowatreat54
12-27-2010, 04:07 PM
You can plead ignorance, and like these players you wont get away with it. They got suspended 5 games and their names and school's repuation are tarnished. The only reason they're allowed to be playing in the bowl game is to make money for everyone else involved. And of course Gibson and Pittman say everyone knew that they were violations, no one actually believes the garbage ignorance excuse we're being fed. If these comments prove anything, its just further proof of how corrupt the NCAA is and how ******** ruling them eligible for the bowl game but not next season is.

The only one getting away with pleading ignorance is Cam Newton.

Oh I know, more of a statement about the NCAA in general. Schools plead ignorance all the time to basically plead down to lesser punishment. I don't buy for 1 second that every school doesn't know, or at least have a handful of people (maybe not necessarily the HC, but at least in the AD) that know the ins and outs of NCAA rules and regulations, or that they don't constantly inform their athletes of them.

I just have a hard time believing that a academic institution has no idea what the regulations of one of its organizations is, or that that they do know and just don't inform their students/coaches or do inform them but barely.

Smooth Criminal
12-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Obviously all of the schools know the rules and that these are violations. I'm sure the schools train their players on what violations are. The "we didn't know" excuse is jsut convient for the NCAA to allow players to stay eligible when they need them to play to keep making money.

Shane P. Hallam
12-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Wrote a blog entry about it today:

http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/12/buckeyes-may-bolt/

P-L
12-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Qf6CLokNyUo

HindSight
12-28-2010, 08:44 AM
they own their likeness and their autographs. should they be allowed to sell those?

Smooth Criminal
12-28-2010, 09:29 AM
they own their likeness and their autographs. should they be allowed to sell those?

I absolutely think so. But the NCAA says they shouldn't, so they should know better than to do it.

If someone wanted my autograph I'd be allowed to sell it.

Shane P. Hallam
12-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I absolutely think so. But the NCAA says they shouldn't, so they should know better than to do it.

The NCAA's rule is that being on the football team increases the value of it though. Yes, you could, but no one wants your autograph. What the NCAA has allowed these players to do by playing football has increased the value of their autograph, shoes, etc. I could sell Terrelle Pryor's shoes as a college student but I would not earn as much money as Terrelle Pryor selling his own shoes. That is the unfair advantage and thus why it isn't allowed.

HindSight
12-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Well then you just took away the amateurism of college sports. Now kids can be paid to be in car commercials and put up on billboards......which means the school with the most money will be able to pay for the best kids.

Smooth Criminal
12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
The NCAA's rule is that being on the football team increases the value of it though. Yes, you could, but no one wants your autograph. What the NCAA has allowed these players to do by playing football has increased the value of their autograph, shoes, etc. I could sell Terrelle Pryor's shoes as a college student but I would not earn as much money as Terrelle Pryor selling his own shoes. That is the unfair advantage and thus why it isn't allowed.

I understand why it isn't allowed and the NCAA's reasoning, I just don't agree with it. Playing football is certainly what makes his autograph worth something, but I really just don't care if players making money on their own name and accomplishments.

Commercials might be taking it a little far, and the NCAA's rules are made to ensure its fair to all programs. I just don't think selling rings or trading autographs for benefits is that big of a deal. Is the money they're making really this significant.

And I'm not trying to sound like a bitter OSU fan. I know the rules and think they should be suspended because they violated them, but I've always just thought the rules like these are too restrictive on the players. I see nothing wrong with selling the rings, gear, or autographs.

HindSight
12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
I understand why it isn't allowed and the NCAA's reasoning, I just don't agree with it. Playing football is certainly what makes his autograph worth something, but I really just don't care if players making money on their own name and accomplishments.

Commercials might be taking it a little far, and the NCAA's rules are made to ensure its fair to all programs. I just don't think selling rings or trading autographs for benefits is that big of a deal. Is the money they're making really this significant.

And I'm not trying to sound like a bitter OSU fan. I know the rules and think they should be suspended because they violated them, but I've always just thought the rules like these are too restrictive on the players. I see nothing wrong with selling the rings, gear, or autographs.
it would be if it were allowed.

P-L
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
So Thaddeus Gibson refuted that Ohio State players were not properly educated in regards the rules against selling personal property.

Sniper
12-28-2010, 04:59 PM
So Thaddeus Gibson refuted that Ohio State players were not properly educated in regards the rules against selling personal property.

That's so last page.

Smooth Criminal
12-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Not like anyone believed that garbae excuse anyway. Everyone knows they're playing the bowl game simply for ratings.

BlockO22
12-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Wrote a blog entry about it today:

http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/12/buckeyes-may-bolt/

Pryor, Posey, and Adams are all returning

Boom is the only one who could leave... which I think he will

keylime_5
12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
you have a subscription to scout don't you BlockO? I wish I had money :(

between this thread and the "Big Ten Discussion" thread it is basically OSU and Michigan fans bantering, Iowa's people having their own little discussion, and bearsfan dropping knowledge.

P-L
12-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I wonder why Posey is coming back considering how badly him and his mom need the money. http://www.booleansoup.com/images/emoticons/eyeroll.gif

BuckeyeDan17
12-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Maybe because his draft status is non-existent and he needs to display he can catch an STD at an unprotected sex orgy?

HindSight
12-29-2010, 08:10 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=nfp-20101228_thaddeus_gibson_clarifies_remarks_on_ohio _state&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"At the time of the interview, I was simply commenting on having been made aware of rules regarding extra benefits for student athletes, not on selling any personal items.”

It was still a bogus excuse, though.

Smooth Criminal
12-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Pryor, Posey, and Adams are all returning

Boom is the only one who could leave... which I think he will

And all is not lost for the season. Great news. I'm not too worried about Boom, Id love to see Hall and Berry get more carries, they both have shown talent with the carries they've gotten. I still think this offense will miss Sanz more than anyone else that we're losing.

I'm suprised as hell that Posey is returning.

BuckeyeDan17
12-29-2010, 11:51 AM
And all is not lost for the season. Great news. I'm not too worried about Boom, Id love to see Hall and Berry get more carries, they both have shown talent with the carries they've gotten. I still think this offense will miss Sanz more than anyone else that we're losing.

I'm suprised as hell that Posey is returning.

Not to mention Carlos Hyde and Roderick Smith will be hungry for carries as well, both are promising prospects in my opinion. At WR, I think James Louis has the potential to be a decent Sanzo replacement. Don't forget 6'6 T.Y. Williams. I like our young talent, alot.

soybean
12-29-2010, 02:45 PM
You know what I don't understand, and this is in no way to defend the bush case or USC but the NCAA found USC guilty of having "lack of institutional control"

How is Ohio State not guilty of the same, shouldn't they have properly educated the players on the rules and regulations?

The NCAA said it's 'absurd' that people accuse them of playing favorites, yet offer no evidence to the contrary.

P-L
12-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Maybe because his draft status is non-existent and he needs to display he can catch an STD at an unprotected sex orgy?
Non-existent? The guy is probably a third round pick if he doesn't bomb the combine.

keylime_5
12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
You know what I don't understand, and this is in no way to defend the bush case or USC but the NCAA found USC guilty of having "lack of institutional control"

How is Ohio State not guilty of the same, shouldn't they have properly educated the players on the rules and regulations?

The NCAA said it's 'absurd' that people accuse them of playing favorites, yet offer no evidence to the contrary.

the usc thing wasn't just one thing, it was several incidents.....and the bush scandal where he took improper benefits is worlds bigger than some players selling their jerseys, rings, etc. that belong to them. AJ Green sold a jersey and got suspended for a few games just this past year.

We all know that the "lack of properly educating the players on the rules" thing is just BS anyway by the NCAA so they could make money off the Sugar Bowl.....either that or Gene Smith figured he could play that card and get away with it since it is part the NCAA rules that you could do that and avoid being suspended for the bowl like this.

Smooth Criminal
12-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I think the USC Bush thing was different cause Bush's family was given benfits to go there. The Ohio State players were selling gear. It wasn't so much the school doing something, but the 'not educating' excuse does sound like they didn't have institutional control.

This situation is much close to AJ Green while the USC/Bush situation is more comparable to Newton I would say. Green and these Buckeyes broke the rules by selling gear, while Bush and Newton appear to have been given benefits in order to recruit them to the schools.

BuckeyeDan17
12-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I wonder why Posey is coming back considering how badly him and his mom need the money. http://www.booleansoup.com/images/emoticons/eyeroll.gif

You would draft a player as inconsistent as he is in the third round?

Sorry for quoting the wrong post.

Smooth Criminal
12-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Posey is thought of pretty highly by most of the draft experts. from watching them play, I'd rather draft Sanz, but I'm willing to bet Posey would go no later than the 3rd or 4th, unless he blows the combine.

wonderbredd24
12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Posey is thought of pretty highly by most of the draft experts. from watching them play, I'd rather draft Sanz, but I'm willing to bet Posey would go no later than the 3rd or 4th, unless he blows the combine.
If Posey gets his eyes fixed, I'd take him by a country mile. Posey has all the tools to be very successful in the NFL if he can just catch the ball with consistency. He's got decent size, he's fast, and he can be a gamebreaker.

JoeJoeBrown
12-29-2010, 09:34 PM

You mean how they self report vs lying, turning a blind eye, and covering up like USC? Or Auburn? Or many other schools?

Every school is going to have kids that present issues. It's how you handle those kids and what they do when the problems occur. Remember, this wasn't externally pressured.

It was a nice try, though.

keylime_5
12-29-2010, 09:38 PM
yeah, when they found out about them selling their stuff Tressel reported it immediately to Jim Delaney who relayed it to the NCAA. You don't get lack of institutional control penalties for handling it right.

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 09:37 AM
In the Sugar Bowl presser today, Tressel said all 5 suspended players pledged to return for 2011.

Smooth Criminal
12-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Thats exciting, and pretty shocking. I definitely expected Boom and Posey to go atleast.

Now we just have to wait and see how the backups hold off. Akron, Toledo, and Coloardo at home shouldn't be any problem, but @ Miami and hosting Michigan State pose huge obstacles. Atleast the defense won't be suffering from these suspension.

Legacy
12-30-2010, 10:18 AM
The fact that they pledged to return for another season is probably the only reason why they're being allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl.

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Thats exciting, and pretty shocking. I definitely expected Boom and Posey to go atleast.

Now we just have to wait and see how the backups hold off. Akron, Toledo, and Coloardo at home shouldn't be any problem, but @ Miami and hosting Michigan State pose huge obstacles. Atleast the defense won't be suffering from these suspension.

crossing fingers that the suspensions get reduced for at least one game. I don't care about the OOC slate, but it will suck if we lose our Big Ten opener.

Smooth Criminal
12-30-2010, 10:33 AM
The fact that they pledged to return for another season is probably the only reason why they're being allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl.

I doubt that ha anything to do with it actually. They're playing in the Sugar bowl to make money for evryone involved, the decision to come back to next year is more in house.

HindSight
12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I doubt that ha anything to do with it actually. They're playing in the Sugar bowl to make money for evryone involved, the decision to come back to next year is more in house.
According to Tressel, the only way they were going to play in the Sugar Bowl was if they pledged to come back.

wonderbredd24
12-30-2010, 10:42 AM
According to Tressel, the only way they were going to play in the Sugar Bowl was if they pledged to come back.
Which means absolutely nothing, since nothing prevents them from saying that and then jumping ship. Not to say they necessarily will, but they certainly can.

HindSight
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Which means absolutely nothing, since nothing prevents them from saying that and then jumping ship. Not to say they necessarily will, but they certainly can.
Then the negative press is solely on their shoulders.....taking all the heat off of the program. Now people claiming Tressel engineered a way for them to skip out on their punishment can suck a fat one.

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 12:03 PM

well what he said was he wouldn't let them make the trip to New Orleans unless they stated their plans for next season and got that out of the way before the game, and they all pledged to come back. He wasn't clear on whether that meant he wouldn't let them play if they said they wanted to leave for the NFL, because he also said that it wouldn't be fair to all involved in the process if they didn't take some sort of penalty for their actions by leaving to avoid suspension. Does anyone think these guys would do Tress like that anyway and skip town anyway?

HindSight
12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
No.....but if they do, guess who is the bad guy. Not the Senator.

Miaoww
12-30-2010, 02:22 PM
In the Sugar Bowl presser today, Tressel said all 5 suspended players pledged to return for 2011.

Idiots. They're missing half of their senior seasons.

Smooth Criminal
12-30-2010, 02:26 PM
3 of the games they're missing are Akron, Toledo, and Colorado. Missing those gmaes will hurt their stats and chances at awards, but I doubt it hurts their draft status much. They're going to get judged basd on how they play against the Big Ten opponents, not some cupcake.

soybean
12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
The self reporting is a separate issue from the supposed "inability to proper educate their players"

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 02:48 PM

They miss 5 games at most, which means they'll play in 8 or 9. 5/13 or 5/14 is closer to a third than a half. There is a chance the NCAA reduces the suspensions by a game or two as well.

Plus they won't go out as goats if they come back.

Pat Sims 90
12-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Yea cause getting a college education is not important at all.

soybean
12-31-2010, 05:27 AM
Yea cause getting a college eduacation is not important at all.

college degree vs. college education

2 very different things.

descendency
12-31-2010, 07:32 AM

I have tremendous respect for Tressel for doing that, but lose all respect for him if he seriously believes those guys.

keylime_5
12-31-2010, 10:02 AM
if you know tressel you know these guys aren't gonna go back on their words. that would completely embarrasing for anyone who left anyhow after it was all over the national news that "5 suspended players pledge to return"

JoeJoeBrown
12-31-2010, 02:31 PM
if you know tressel you know these guys aren't gonna go back on their words. that would completely embarrasing for anyone who left anyhow after it was all over the national news that "5 suspended players pledge to return"

There is no guarantee that these guys are coming back and their character is in question already by violating NCAA rules. I'd say at least two of them go pro.

keylime_5
12-31-2010, 02:49 PM
No way, I would be beyond shocked if any of them go pro. These guys respect Tressel way too much to pledge to come back and take their punishment and then just totally stab him in the back like that.

superman8456
12-31-2010, 02:53 PM
No way, I would be beyond shocked if any of them go pro. These guys respect Tressel way too much to pledge to come back and take their punishment and then just totally stab him in the back like that.

These guys also respect dollar signs from the violations they committed. If an agent gets in their ear and tells them how much they could earn, it might be too enticing to deny.

keylime_5
12-31-2010, 02:57 PM
whatever. All of them were going to return anyway except perhaps Herron. People are making too much of this. Tressel knows what he's doing, these guys don't want to go out as goats. None of them would go any higher than round 3 either.

JoeJoeBrown
12-31-2010, 08:46 PM
These guys also respect dollar signs from the violations they committed. If an agent gets in their ear and tells them how much they could earn, it might be too enticing to deny.

Agree 100%.

keylime_5
01-01-2011, 11:31 AM
it sounds like Herron might leave, but I think he'd get the blessing to do so being that he's a 4th year junior instead of a 3rd year player. Pryor and Posey are returning for sure though, and Adams I assume is too. Herron is the only one in danger of losing his starting job though and he was the only one who was gonna leave before the suspensions, so we'll see.

jballa838
01-01-2011, 11:34 AM
ken gordon reporting:
Terrelle Pryor said "I don't care what Kirk Herbstreit says, has he beat Michigan?"

I guess he's a little salty right now.

Smooth Criminal
01-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Ouch. Herby has been very rough on Pryor over the years, but most of his criticisms were well earned. And of course he's going to hate selfish actions like these that hurt his school.

wonderbredd24
01-01-2011, 12:03 PM
ken gordon reporting:
Terrelle Pryor said "I don't care what Kirk Herbstreit says, has he beat Michigan?"

I guess he's a little salty right now.
Nice to see Pryor is learning from his mistakes... ugh. Moron.