PDA

View Full Version : This Year's Lawrence Timmons?

thegreatone
12-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Is there an ILB or OLB that everyone is saying has no chance in a 3-4, but you actually believe can turn out to be excellent at it? ala Timmons.

DiG
12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
quan will be talked about as a 4-3 backer but i think he can play in any defense.

SenorGato
12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Ayers.

10char.

JHL6719
12-23-2010, 01:39 PM
What about Mario Harvey in a 3-4?

Duffman57
12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Is there an ILB or OLB that everyone is saying has no chance in a 3-4, but you actually believe can turn out to be excellent at it? ala Timmons.

The weird thing with Timmons was that he was a DE in college, or played a DE/OLB hybrid role in college, and then swiched to ILB in the Pro's IIRC.

I dont have a clue about who it would be. Ayers and Harvey are both projected to be 3-4 Backers IMO. Thats their best fit. Nobodys doubting their ability.

thegreatone
12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
What about Mario Harvey in a 3-4?
Yeah, but no ones really disputing him fitting well in a 3-4. Hes actually one of the better ILB for the 3-4 IMO.

K Train
12-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Ive been a huge timmons supporter since day one despite all the doubters, in all seriousness hes probably a way better fir for a WILL in a 43 but he has really transformed into a monster 34 MLB....he was one of the biggest pussies against the run ive seen on the steelers for 3 years then he put on 15 pounds and became an absolute hammer in the middle.

he did it all in college playing both OLB and DE and wasnt really one of the DE/34OLB prospects like gaines adams or anthony spencer was but he could definitely play outside in our defense because hes probably the best pass rusher on the team...he actually backs up harrison and worilds backs up woodley then they kick fox or foote to the BUCK spot.

its tough to come up with a comparison for him in this years but i would say the best one to use would definitely be quan as far as versatility goes

Duffman57
12-23-2010, 05:09 PM
The guy that interests me in that role who transformed from a DE/OLB to a ILB in a 3-4 is Thad Gibson. I think he could be a good 3-4 ILB. There's nobody thats really like that this year IMO.

Morton
12-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Travis Lewis of Oklahoma. I think he'll be a stud ILB for some 3-4 team similar to what Sean Lee (4-3 MIKE at Penn State) has done for the Cowboys this year in their 3-4.

ellsy82
12-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Greg Jones has looked very good in every game I've seen him in. However, he's a lot smaller than Timmons and not NEARLY as athletic. He's a thumper.

Comparable to Timmons? Travis Lewis as others have stated. A couple others are maybe Nigel Bradham (Florida St) or K.J. Wright (Mississippi St). Crazy athletes who need a lot of fine tuning before they'll start in a 3-4 at MLB.

TACKLE
12-23-2010, 11:02 PM
This doesn't necessarily answer the OP, but the guy who I could see thriving in Timmons roll is Von Miller. I like Von Miller inside in a 3-4 more than I like him outside. He gets praise as a pass rusher but he has zero pass rush moves and no power to use a bull rush to set up pass rush moves. I question how effective he can be as a edge rusher in the NFL but I like him a lot as an ILB in a 3-4 and love him as a blitzing WILL in a 4-3. He is still very explosive, very fast and does a great job at finding the ball. As an ILB in a 3-4 that likes to blitz, he could be an absolute force. You put him in a similar roll to Timmons, as an athletic blitzing ILB and he will thrive.

I know it doesn't necessarily answer the OP but just thought I'd share my thoughts on that. Also, didn't a lot of people expect him to be taken by the Steelers and thought they would use him as a pass rusher off the edge. That's the impression I was under. If I'm not mistaken, they had Joey Porter at the time and they drafted Timmons and Woodley to be, what people thought, was going to be the future pair of OLB's.

DaBrowns41
12-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Bruce Carter, easily. Doesn't have great bulk, but can play sideline to sideline, does well in coverage, but is just a great tackler.

He's such an intelligent player that he could pick up a 3-4 ILB scheme.

thegreatone
12-24-2010, 07:49 AM
This doesn't necessarily answer the OP, but the guy who I could see thriving in Timmons roll is Von Miller. I like Von Miller inside in a 3-4 more than I like him outside. He gets praise as a pass rusher but he has zero pass rush moves and no power to use a bull rush to set up pass rush moves. I question how effective he can be as a edge rusher in the NFL but I like him a lot as an ILB in a 3-4 and love him as a blitzing WILL in a 4-3. He is still very explosive, very fast and does a great job at finding the ball. As an ILB in a 3-4 that likes to blitz, he could be an absolute force. You put him in a similar roll to Timmons, as an athletic blitzing ILB and he will thrive.

I know it doesn't necessarily answer the OP but just thought I'd share my thoughts on that. Also, didn't a lot of people expect him to be taken by the Steelers and thought they would use him as a pass rusher off the edge. That's the impression I was under. If I'm not mistaken, they had Joey Porter at the time and they drafted Timmons and Woodley to be, what people thought, was going to be the future pair of OLB's.
I've heard some say that he isn't very good in coverage, or run defense. But than again, was Timmons great in either of those things coming out?