PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Report Changes - Need Advice!

Scott Wright
12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Hey,

I am starting to crank out scouting reports and I am leaning towards going with a slightly different format, which should be more efficient. Basically it's going from sentences separated by "..." in paragraphs to bullet points, but still relaying the same type of information.

Check out Jake Locker's and let me know what you think!

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Jake-Locker.php

CashmoneyDrew
12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Definitely a better format.

vidae
12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Easier to read. A lot better than the "..." imo.

RaiderNation
12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I like the new look, maybe you keep the notes formatted like the older version though would look better.

prock
12-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Definitely go with this. It makes it easier to read and probably easier to type out too.

Sniper
12-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Signed by the Angels, not the Angles.

I would say production would be a concern.

JFINK11
12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Looks good just looks longer

ElectricEye
12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Like the format a lot better. I would say go with it. Wouldn't it be better to not capitalize everything? Just an opinion though.

Also really like the scouting report, felt like you nailed it.

Matthew Jones
12-23-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree about everything being capitalized looking kind of strange, but I like the bullet points.

AS11toFG21
12-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I like it.

49erNation85
12-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I like it always and agree. Much better laid out and easier to read quicker . Can't wait for draft season are we there yet ? lol

Scott Wright
12-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Here is a second option with the "Notes" section in paragraph form:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Jake-Locker-2.php

etk
12-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I like the "..." but I'm biased...I'm already used to it...I find it easy to get my thoughts down that way.

Saints-Tigers
12-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I hate the paragraph form. Bullets are much better, for both.

brasho
12-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Bullets are far better. I think too much time is wasted trying to think of different ways to say a guy isn't tough: not physical, isn't a glass -eater, not enough glass in his diet, blah blah blah blah....

Bullets are better; leave the literary experience for your novel.

Babylon
12-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Love it, as for Jake i dont question his dedication to football. He says it's football then that is what it is. If he washes out he can try the little round ball but that is irrelevant to his evaluation.

Mr.Regular
12-23-2010, 06:47 PM
I like the bullets much better.
Don't think you should capitalize everything though, it seemed awkward. Other than that, good changes.

RealityCheck
12-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Way, way better, Scott.

Also, I'd like to point out that capitalizing the first letters of most words make it harder to read...

Like, instead of "Great Mobility to Buy Time and Make Plays with His Feet", it would be a lot easier to read if it was "Great mobility to buy time and make plays with his feet".

EDIT: Mr. Regular took the words out of my mouth. :D

Rosebud
12-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm with the people that say that the bullets are better all around, but maybe add a poll? Maybe even make one on the forums and on the main page? Individual opinions are great and all but there's something to be said for put numbers as well.

TACKLE
12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Personally I like the old format better. This one is better organized but the other one was more fluid to read. Depends what you're looking for though.

bored of education
12-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Ok, so I looked at all types.

I like the bullet format for S/W section. It seems more organized and thought out where as the ...format... seems like you are watching one play, making note, watching another play, making a note.

For the additional notes I like the ...format...it seems like you follow up on the break down of the prospect..like footnoots almost. more of a follow up..discussion like break down

bored of education
12-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Also, you must remember your audience....and the average reader. this is not for Scott Pioli to read...even though he told me he reads this site.

bored of education
12-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok final answer. the notes is more casual in the paragraph format, i like that a lot, the s/w area is more formal.

so the notes paragraph..s/w outline is my final answer

regoob2
12-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Just do whatever is easier. Its all the same to me.

BeerBaron
12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm always a fan of bulleted lists. It looks cleaner.

ChiFan24
12-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Like the bullets, not crazy about all of the capitalization.

I_C_DeadPeople
12-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Most here seem to like the new format. I am but a simple fan who relies on this type of information to anticipate/review the draft for my team. The bullet points seem clinical and I for one (please don't flame as whatever you decide Scott is good for me) would like more description of the analysis. We tend to have every player 'needing more strength" for example. For Locker, what about him makes you question his decision making? For me, again this is a personal opinion, but I like to read a scouting report like I was in a war room. "What I love about this guy is...", 'I watched him against the best LT's and he was a non factor", 'he reminds me of', etc.

Vox Populi
12-23-2010, 09:58 PM
The ... format is consistent with all of the college player profiles on their team's pages, keeping it in line with those is the only reason I wouldn't switch to bullets.

And yeah, capitalizing everything seems to stress the eyes out imo, I'd get away from that.

JHL6719
12-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Agree that the bullet format looks better, also agree with the point about capitalization.

Also agree about being more specific reguarding certain knocks/strengths, etc.

Nice job. I'll read 'em any way they come though.

TACKLE
12-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Of the two, I like this one best.

kalbears13
12-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Of the two, I like this one best.

I agree. Bullets for Positives and Negatives and "..." for Notes.

Scott Wright
12-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Sounds like the consensus is bullet points for the strengths and weaknesses and a paragraph for the notes section. I also fixed the capitalization issues. Here is the final product:

Matthew Jones
12-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Sounds like the consensus is bullet points for the strengths and weaknesses and a paragraph for the notes section. I also fixed the capitalization issues. Here is the final product:

Looks a lot better. Nice work!

davlar87
12-24-2010, 07:29 AM
I like the new layout, Scott.

superpack84
12-24-2010, 07:58 AM
I like a scouting report that gets straight to the point and this format does.

Scott Wright
12-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Here is #2:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Derek-Sherrod.php

Scott Wright
12-24-2010, 10:39 AM
For those interested, I'll be posting the latest scouting report additions in the following thread:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112

P-L
12-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Love the final format.

villagewarrior
12-24-2010, 12:18 PM
At first I wasn't sure about the new format but after reading some of the Scouting Reports I'm sold. Very nice work, and thanks for the reports too.

kalbears13
12-24-2010, 12:20 PM
For those interested, I'll be posting the latest scouting report additions in the following thread:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112

http://americanlettering.com/chan/New/moar_cake.jpg

vidae
12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
The finished product looks great. Good job.

Brown Leader
12-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Most here seem to like the new format. I am but a simple fan who relies on this type of information to anticipate/review the draft for my team. The bullet points seem clinical and I for one (please don't flame as whatever you decide Scott is good for me) would like more description of the analysis. We tend to have every player 'needing more strength" for example. For Locker, what about him makes you question his decision making? For me, again this is a personal opinion, but I like to read a scouting report like I was in a war room. "What I love about this guy is...", 'I watched him against the best LT's and he was a non factor", 'he reminds me of', etc.

New format is fine but I agree with the dead guy.

descendency
12-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I don't like it. I'd say Locker is 100% dedicated to football.

(yea, just kidding, I realize you mean the formating, which is way better)

ElectricEye
12-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Scott, I am so excited. This looks to be the best round of NFL DC scouting reports yet. Awesome job!

RealityCheck
12-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Just perfect, Scott. Very nice.

will99890
12-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Ditto with what everyone else has to say. Final product is great. Love the bullets for the strengths and weaknesses. The notes section looks good and breaks the monotony of having bullets for all three sections. Definitely an improvement.

My only suggestion, even though I realize that it is unrealistic and unrelated to the thread, would be to add embedded highlight videos in a way that flows with the scouting report page format. Even if this was done only for select prospects, I think it could be very helpful/entertaining while also giving some exposure to some of the guys who put together high quality videos (i.e. Alo).

Nalej
12-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm a fan of the bullets and of the current overall format right now. Great job, Scott

YoJoeBucsFan
12-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Good on the new format.

Abaddon
12-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Definitely liking the bullet point style. Much better imo.

Regarding the Locker profile, and any QB profile really, a little more info on their release would be a nice touch. You mentioned that Locker has "impressive mechanics", and I could assume that includes a quick release...but having it said specifically would be a plus. Speed of release, high/over-the-top release, etc.

Just a thought.

mancl
12-26-2010, 08:00 PM
It would be very helpful if you highlighted the names of the players after you did a report on them, very helpful. Thanks for your great work

elway=goat
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
i like it better.

Wrathman
12-27-2010, 12:35 AM
I like it. Can you put the --- portion in a different color to break up the wall of comments and ease things on the readers?

Side comment - I've never understood how what any given prospect's relatives did on the field has an impact on the given player. I can see a rare exception made (such as the Mannings) due to Archie's success level and the fact that his kids play the same position as he did. It shows you've done your research, but I fail to see the value of it.

It could just be me. :-)

RaiderNation
12-27-2010, 03:31 AM
I like the new look, maybe you keep the notes formatted like the older version though would look better.

My idea worked :)

niel89
12-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I love the new bullet point format first off. Working off the comments below I think that might be something to look into. You could just have an lower indented bullet below it with further description.
Ex:

- Impressive Mechanics
-Quick release
-Ideal over the top delivery.

I think that while it would make the reports look longer and more sizable, I think that people would appreciate the additional description. People will always want more rather than less.

Definitely liking the bullet point style. Much better imo.

Regarding the Locker profile, and any QB profile really, a little more info on their release would be a nice touch. You mentioned that Locker has "impressive mechanics", and I could assume that includes a quick release...but having it said specifically would be a plus. Speed of release, high/over-the-top release, etc.

Just a thought.