PDA

View Full Version : Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina

P-L
12-23-2010, 07:08 PM
What is everyone's opinion of him? I haven't seen a ton of the Tarheels this year, but I've been impressed with what I have seen. I know he's only a junior, but it sounds like there is a possibility that he comes out. I went to read up on him more for the Forum Mock, and I was very surprised to learn about what a great athlete he is. He's 6'2" 225 lbs and runs track at UNC. He was recently clocked at 4.28 in the 40. Now obviously that is fake, but a low-4.4 or high-4.3 would still be fantastic for a linebacker. A couple of sites I looked at have him rated as the #2 junior linebacker behind Akeem Ayers. I guess my question is, what are his major weaknesses? Why was I able to nab him in the 4th round of the Forum Mock?

brasho
12-24-2010, 06:32 AM
He hasn't started a whole lot so experience is the first thing you have to look at. Then you look at the guys around him. Bruce Carter, Sturdivant, among others and before suspensions Quinn and Austin as well as others and he isn't overly productive... but again, that is a talented defense, so not being able to break into a lineup with these guys on the field is nothing to be ashamed of.

Then you look at the other factors. In watching him play he is very active, but is definitely a run-around blocker-type LB and to me he doesn't look as big as he's listed (and his listed size is small) and looks like a safety so durability and the ability to take on blockers are questions that will pop-up into scouts' minds.

I think he needs more time to develop his game and develop physically before we call him a 1st rounder, but personally I do hope he comes out this season and is still around in round 3 for us to pick.

will99890
12-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Worst Case Scenario: Special teamer
Best Case Scenario: 4-3 ROLB

Linebackers don't usually get selected high, especially lacking size and experience like Brown. Late rounder unless he bulks up.

brasho
12-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Worst Case Scenario: Special teamer
Best Case Scenario: 4-3 ROLB

Linebackers don't usually get selected high, especially lacking size and experience like Brown. Late rounder unless he bulks up.

I'm not sure if you noticed but many teams really like their LBs to be on the smaller side. Plenty of LBs lacking size have been picked high, Ernie Sims, Derrick Brooks, and Ray Lewis were all said to have lacked size coming into the league and were picked in the 1st round.

If Brown shows well in the bowl game and does come out and runs as well as he is supposed to, he will probably be picked round 3 or higher. Playmaking LBs do get selected high.