PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Tate, S, Maryland

JustDezIT
12-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Apparently he's declaring. Smart move with this incredibly weak S class.

90 tackles, 3 INT, 3 PB, 4 FF, 6 TFL, 4 sacks, and a touchdown

This guys amazing. I can picture it right now....

Dallas Cowboys trade down, and with the 16th pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys select - Kenny Tate

Duffman57
12-24-2010, 06:56 PM
He's a very good prospect IMO. He looks like he could be very good, and is smoother in and out of his breaks than i've ever seen a guy who's 6'4". I'm not sure he goes that high in the first but for me, due to an extremely weak S class, he goes late 1st, early 2nd, and may move a bit higher if he tears up the combine like i expect him to (4.4 40, around 40 vert, etc.)

ElectricEye
12-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Unreal athlete. Very fast, very fluid for his size. Should be one of the stars of the combine. In the end, I could see him coming off the board in the late first/early second round if things go well for him.

SenorGato
12-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Kerry Rhodes clone is anywhere from 2nd to 4th round pick depending on the usual things stuff like this is depended on.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Well as a Maryland football fan, am going to miss him if this is true.

he is a better person and human being than player, he is good with his team mates, never gets in any trouble of the field, nice young man.
from a good family.
he is going to go to the combine and shut it down. HE IS IN THE SAME CLASS OF ATHLETE AS VERNON DAVIS. watching him play in college is like watching a man play among boys or teenagers he is huge. 6;4 226 4.49/40 speed

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Dallas Cowboys trade down, and with the 16th pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys select - Kenny Tate

Funny Enough Kenny is a HUGE HUGE HUGE cowboy fan too.

P-L
12-25-2010, 01:21 PM
If he has the combine performance that some are expecting, I could see him being drafted in the late-1st round. I'd be shocked though if he raised his stock high enough to be drafted 16th overall.

Duffman57
12-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Well as a Maryland football fan, am going to miss him if this is true.

he is a better person and human being than player, he is good with his team mates, never gets in any trouble of the field, nice young man.
from a good family.
he is going to go to the combine and shut it down. HE IS IN THE SAME CLASS OF ATHLETE AS VERNON DAVIS. watching him play in college is like watching a man play among boys or teenagers he is huge. 6;4 226 4.49/40 speed

Thats good but Nobody in the NFL right now other than maybe Mays and Campbell, and maybe Gholston is at Davis' level of freakishness.

Davis is 6'3" 255 and runs a mid 4.3.

Does anyone see a splash of Adrian Wilson in him, with that tall big, rangy athletic body?

jsagan77
12-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Thats good but Nobody in the NFL right now other than maybe Mays and Campbell, and maybe Gholston is at Davis' level of freakishness.

Does anyone see a splash of Adrian Wilson in him, with that tall big, rangy athletic body?

Andre Johnson and Calvin are probably in that freakish category too.... Maybe even Trent Williams with his freakish blend of size and speed. Leonard Davis could be the equivalent in OG's as well.

That said, I'm really intrigued by Kenny Tate. Hopefully the Skins take him in the 2nd round...

Malaka
12-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if the Giants pick'em if Perry Fewell is still here, that means the 3 safety set we use a lot will also still be used, and most likely Deon Grant is gone after this season. With that, I can see Tate be picked if he is the BPA, however I'd really prefer an O-linemen that is in my opinion the biggest neeed on the Giants at any spot except maybe the Guard spots with Snee, and maybe Diehl kicking it in if we find an LT (Beatty?).

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-25-2010, 05:09 PM

Yeah your right i am just way tooo excited and going over board, he is alot like Adrian Wilson.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Andre Johnson and Calvin are probably in that freakish category too.... Maybe even Trent Williams with his freakish blend of size and speed. Leonard Davis could be the equivalent in OG's as well.

That said, I'm really intrigued by Kenny Tate. Hopefully the Skins take him in the 2nd round...

Yeah hope the Redskins pick him too. He and Landry would be awesome saftey combo, Since Skins lost Sean Taylor, Secondary really hasnt been the same.

bruschis4all
12-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Do you guys consider him a FS or SS? I'll be honest, I didn't see Maryland play all year.

JustDezIT
12-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Do you guys consider him a FS or SS? I'll be honest, I didn't see Maryland play all year.

He can play both IMO. He can be that centerfielder, he can be that in the box type, sometime he even rushes with his hand in the dirt. This guys amazing. Everyone hop off, this guy will be a cowboy. Especially when Jerry finds out he's a Boys fan.

The next Sean Taylor.

steelcrew43
12-25-2010, 07:52 PM
i'd put him at free safety, he has the speed to cover massive amounts of turf

bruschis4all
12-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Pats can't be happy with B. Meriweather. He's made 4-5 bonehead plays this year. Late for meetings, free lancing. I see his days as a Pat ending soon. P. Chung looks like a pretty good SS. Could really use that CF type. I see James Sanders more as a nickel back. I'll have to check out the highlights on Tate.

Nalej
12-25-2010, 08:32 PM
I can definitely see the Pats trading Meriweather and then taking a S relatively early in this draft.... maybe Tate is the guy

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-25-2010, 09:41 PM

Tate can play FS he has great range long legs. And very good ball skills highschool wide out. He is also a huge hitter that can be an in the box safty. He can do it all very very Hugh ceiling. Floor is good getting better every game. I cant wait him vs east Carolina December 29 2:30pm millitary bowl ESPN or ESPN 2.

DBNYDP
12-26-2010, 02:49 AM
I like him better as SS. With that size and speed he could just be an absolute nightmare against the running game, and on pass rushes. I'm not fully confident in his coverage abilities to put him at FS. I think he can be successful in coverage, just I think his hard hits will be the focus.
But hey that is just me.
I see him being a really great player in this league for years to come, if the Broncos grab him in the 2nd, I'd be excited.

shylo3716
12-26-2010, 09:59 AM
IMO he will be the Safety to break the ice and go in the 1st Round, Mid at best.

steelcrew43
12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
reminds me of a taylor mays body type with way better ball skills and instincts..

DiG
12-27-2010, 08:28 AM
dude is a true FS. people who say they prefer him at SS have not watched him play. he has insane range and is a playmaker. hes good in coverage, can run with most any receivers, shows good play recognition, and can hit. best safety in the draft.

shylo3716
12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Is there a declaration link?

prock
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM
If the Vikes can't get a QB or PP or Prince, by the time the draft rolls around I might be leaning towards this dude in the first even maybe. The more I watch on him the more I like him over the second tier of corners. But it is still early in the process, so who knows... I will probably flip flop many times.

mario
12-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Is there a declaration link?http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=3780
- Receiver Torrey Smith won’t be the only underclassmen leaving Maryland early. Sources have told us his teammate, safety Kenny Tate, will also make himself eligible for the 2011 draft.
[/URL]
BTW i've made a highlights/lowhights video of Tate against Florida State:
cHglU3nYRqQ

Grizzlegom
12-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Physical freak. Check.
Will blow up combine with ridiculous numbers. Check.
Better athlete than football player. Check.

Sounds like another mid-round Maryland player that people are projecting in the first because of freakish athleticism. Teams showed with Bruce Campbell that they are starting to learn so I'll stick with the 3rd round evaluation I have on Tate.

ThePudge
12-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Physical freak. Check.
Will blow up combine with ridiculous numbers. Check.
Better athlete than football player. Check.

Sounds like another mid-round Maryland player that people are projecting in the first because of freakish athleticism. Teams showed with Bruce Campbell that they are starting to learn so I'll stick with the 3rd round evaluation I have on Tate.

Well Kenny Tate was a 1st-Team All-Conference Safety that burst onto the scene. His production this season stacks up with just about any Safety in the country. You definitely couldn't say Campbell was anything close to one of the best players in the conference at his position. Tate was one of the best DBs in the ACC this season. Campbell was an average OT in the ACC with a lot of size, strength, and athleticism.

I don't think he's being overrated right now based on physical ability, considering he was a tremendous football player this year. He has as much upside as any Safety in the upcoming draft class and as a player he's not far behind any of them.

DBNYDP
12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
dude is a true FS. people who say they prefer him at SS have not watched him play. he has insane range and is a playmaker. hes good in coverage, can run with most any receivers, shows good play recognition, and can hit. best safety in the draft.
From what I've seen of him (I'll be honest I've seen like 1-2 games of him playing) he isn't great in coverage. He's average but he seems slow in recognizing things, and sometimes he just is in terrible position.
I rather have him at SS where he can really use all those athletic gifts he has against the run, and creating some pass rush.
This doesn't mean he won't drop back and cover, but it will be a more limited role which I think could help him improve his game quite a bit by not giving him too much responsibility.

Grizzlegom
12-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Well Kenny Tate was a 1st-Team All-Conference Safety that burst onto the scene. His production this season stacks up with just about any Safety in the country. You definitely couldn't say Campbell was anything close to one of the best players in the conference at his position. Tate was one of the best DBs in the ACC this season. Campbell was an average OT in the ACC with a lot of size, strength, and athleticism.

I don't think he's being overrated right now based on physical ability, considering he was a tremendous football player this year. He has as much upside as any Safety in the upcoming draft class and as a player he's not far behind any of them.

I wasn't saying that he was as bad of a football player as Campbell showed on tape, my point was just that teams are starting to learn not to crazy over physical freaks and over-draft them anymore. Campbell and Mays are two prime examples of that. I do think people are over-blowing Tate because of his physical ability. Tate had a huge season no doubt and has gotten better and better but he's only a one-year starter that is raw that will be looked at as a different player depending on what scheme he's drafted to play in. He does seem to play well in coverage, not entirely surprising considering he's a WR convert, but he's still a big hitter with massive size that will make some teams pigeon-hole him as a SS or even OLB. Unfortunate? Yes. Reality? Absolutely.

He doesn't have near the production that Taylor Mays had and is a similar type of prospect and Mays went mid-2nd and I'd be surprised to see Tate go any higher than that. I totally agree with you that he stacks up well with all the other safeties in this class but everyone is so desperate for one of these safeties to have first round value that a lot of them are getting over-rated (Tate, Moore, Sash, Barron, McDaniel, Carter). Reality is, all of them belong in the mid-2nd-early-4th range but with so many teams having ball-hawking FS towards the top of their needs list, guys like Moore, Tate, and Carter are getting pushed up a lot further than they deserve to be (at least around these boards) despite having some major questions in their game.

JustDezIT
12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
I wasn't saying that he was as bad of a football player as Campbell showed on tape, my point was just that teams are starting to learn not to crazy over physical freaks and over-draft them anymore. Campbell and Mays are two prime examples of that. I do think people are over-blowing Tate because of his physical ability. Tate had a huge season no doubt and has gotten better and better but he's only a one-year starter that is raw that will be looked at as a different player depending on what scheme he's drafted to play in. He does seem to play well in coverage, not entirely surprising considering he's a WR convert, but he's still a big hitter with massive size that will make some teams pigeon-hole him as a SS or even OLB. Unfortunate? Yes. Reality? Absolutely.

He doesn't have near the production that Taylor Mays had and is a similar type of prospect and Mays went mid-2nd and I'd be surprised to see Tate go any higher than that. I totally agree with you that he stacks up well with all the other safeties in this class but everyone is so desperate for one of these safeties to have first round value that a lot of them are getting over-rated (Tate, Moore, Sash, Barron, McDaniel, Carter). Reality is, all of them belong in the mid-2nd-early-4th range but with so many teams having ball-hawking FS towards the top of their needs list, guys like Moore, Tate, and Carter are getting pushed up a lot further than they deserve to be (at least around these boards) despite having some major questions in their game.

LMFAO. Are you kidding me? You just lost all credibility. Your actually trying to convince yourself Mays had more production then Tate. Unbelievable. In Tates ONLY SEASON AS A STARTER he had - 90 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 FF, 3 INT (with 2 dropped) - and 2 fumble recoveries - AND a touchdown. If Mays even came close to those numbers his SR year he'd be a top 5 pick. Its no comparison. Comparing Tate to Mays is like comparing Sean Taylor to C.C Adam Archuleta.

JustDezIT
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
From what I've seen of him (I'll be honest I've seen like 1-2 games of him playing) he isn't great in coverage. He's average but he seems slow in recognizing things, and sometimes he just is in terrible position.
I rather have him at SS where he can really use all those athletic gifts he has against the run, and creating some pass rush.
This doesn't mean he won't drop back and cover, but it will be a more limited role which I think could help him improve his game quite a bit by not giving him too much responsibility.

From what I have seen of him (I've only missed 4 games this season) I can tell you you're completely wrong. He is one of the best zone coverage Safeties in this class - by far. This guys a FS. Not a SS, IMO. He's for the most part ALWAYS around the ball and in good position. Teams are scared to throw in his zone/area. People like you just assume he's a SS because of his size.

FUNBUNCHER
12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Tate started last season too and was a part time player in 2008.

Don't talk trash about a prospect if you know so little about them.

DBNYDP
12-27-2010, 04:24 PM
From what I have seen of him (I've only missed 4 games this season) I can tell you you're completely wrong. He is one of the best zone coverage Safeties in this class - by far. This guys a FS. Not a SS, IMO. He's for the most part ALWAYS around the ball and in good position. Teams are scared to throw in his zone/area. People like you just assume he's a SS because of his size.
Look the games I watched I wasn't too impressed by his coverage ability. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't the coverage ability of a 1st/2nd round guy. He failed to come up after the linebackers blitzed, leaving the middle of the field open on a couple third downs. Didn't offer support to the CB a couple times over the top which resulted in a couple big gains.
Hey maybe when I watched he had some bad games, but he did not impress me as far as coverage ability went. I did see him make a nice tackle in the backfield, I did see him absolutely crush the runner, and I did see him get pressure on the QB (There was this one play where he was blitzing, the guy threw the ball over the middle and he jumped like sideways to knock the ball away while blitzing).

In the immediate future he should be a SS from what I have seen. It will at the least transition him to FS, by giving him limited coverage responsibility, allowing him to focus on it more.

Grizzlegom
12-27-2010, 04:28 PM
LMFAO. Are you kidding me? You just lost all credibility. Your actually trying to convince yourself Mays had more production then Tate. Unbelievable. In Tates ONLY SEASON AS A STARTER he had - 90 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 FF, 3 INT (with 2 dropped) - and 2 fumble recoveries - AND a touchdown. If Mays even came close to those numbers his SR year he'd be a top 5 pick. Its no comparison. Comparing Tate to Mays is like comparing Sean Taylor to C.C Adam Archuleta.

Comparing Tate to Sean Taylor is laughable. Taylor was a 2-year starter that intercepted 14 passes and averaged 55 solo tackles a year. Tate is a one-year starter with the numbers you have above, only I'll change the 90 to 48 solo tackles because those are the ones that matter. (Good to know that dropped INTs count as a stat...I guess Ike Taylor is the best playmaker in the NFL, he has about 40 dropped INTs in his career...)

As for the comparison of Tate to Mays, Mays never had a single season as good as Tate's, no, but Mays played on a much more talented defense and wasn't asked to tackle as much as Tate early in his career. In his senior season when he was asked to run support some more, he had comparable tackle numbers. On top of that Mays consistently produced over 4 years of starting and that's what I mean by Tate not having the same production. I just question whether this year was Tate 'figuring out' the safety position or if it was a flash in the pan. He would have done himself some good by going back to school to prove he could play like this other wise he could be an athletic freak that's a one year wonder that struggles in the NFL. I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you really think that, as prospects, Tate is that different from Mays.

DBNYDP
12-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Comparing Tate to Sean Taylor is laughable. Taylor was a 2-year starter that intercepted 14 passes and averaged 55 solo tackles a year. Tate is a one-year starter with the numbers you have above, only I'll change the 90 to 48 solo tackles because those are the ones that matter. (Good to know that dropped INTs count as a stat...I guess Ike Taylor is the best playmaker in the NFL, he has about 40 dropped INTs in his career...)

As for the comparison of Tate to Mays, Mays never had a single season as good as Tate's, no, but Mays played on a much more talented defense and wasn't asked to tackle as much as Tate early in his career. In his senior season when he was asked to run support some more, he had comparable tackle numbers. On top of that Mays consistently produced over 4 years of starting and that's what I mean by Tate not having the same production. I just question whether this year was Tate 'figuring out' the safety position or if it was a flash in the pan. He would have done himself some good by going back to school to prove he could play like this other wise he could be an athletic freak that's a one year wonder that struggles in the NFL. I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you really think that, as prospects, Tate is that different from Mays.
May is actually terrible in coverage.
Taylor just hasn't been outstanding.
I think Taylor can definitely fix that part of his game, I'm not too sure Mays can..

Grizzlegom
12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Tate started last season too and was a part time player in 2008.

Don't talk trash about a prospect if you know so little about them.

Idk if this is directed to me or not but...

Ok, he's a one and a half year starter then. I know he started some of last year but if I recall correctly, he had a pretty severe ankle injury and missed a decent chuck of the season. I live 3 miles from UMs campus and I've seen all their games in the two years I've lived there...as for talking trash on the guy, I didn't know saying people are over-rating someone and stating my overall opinion on him was talking trash? I'm sorry I don't see him as a demi-god?

FUNBUNCHER
12-27-2010, 04:35 PM
No, he's a two and a half year starter.

Saying he's had the production of Mays is asinine. Mays had absolutely no ball skills or instincts for the position.

Right now he's a top 50 prospect.
Who's overrating him???

Grizzlegom
12-27-2010, 04:39 PM

How is that possible? He played mostly STs and reserve role as a freshman, technically only started 4 games as a soph between starting the season as a reserve and suffering the ankle injury and then started all of this year...I count 16 total games started...

Edit: went back and re-read the other posts, I guess its only JustDezIt that's really majorly over-rating him. Comparing him to Sean Taylor...

I still don't think he's that different from Mays overall though. Tate's still really raw as a safety and it shows, he had a huge year, no doubt but he's still got a long way to go in terms of the intricacies and mental aspect of the position.

DiG
12-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Saying he's had the production of Mays is asinine. Mays had absolutely no ball skills or instincts for the position.

pretty sure he only started the second half of his sophomore year. and his injury that year was a sprained ankle that he missed 2 games for. ive watched every game hes played in and id play him at FS but really it depends on the scheme. his pass/run recognition is very good and his range is phenomenal. his instincts and ability to read the qb are really quite amazing for someone playing the position for so few years. he needs to be a center fielder in the nfl where he can be let loose to make plays. some defenses thats at fs, and others its ss.

FUNBUNCHER
12-27-2010, 04:47 PM
41 tackles and a pick in 2009, missing three games with injury.
Tate got the majority of the snaps at one of the safety spots for UMD in '09, don't know if he was the listed starter before every game. I assume that he was. (Okay, saw the UMD bio, official starter 4 times in '09.)
He definitely has more than one season of significant playing time and isn't a 'one year wonder' type prospect.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I live in Maryland huge terps and Redskins football fan , i have watched every single games Tate has played in the last 3 years. let me break down his football career for you folks.

In highschool he was an All American he played in the Army bowl game , He was a Wideout and saftey in highschool, at 6-4 215.

Came to U of Maryland as a Wideout, In summer Practice Maryland coaches though he would player quicker get on the field quicker at saftey, that year we had Darius Heyward-Bey. Long story short, His true freshman year he played some about 25 snaps a game, he was a big saftey he did make tackles but didnt make plays on the ball. had one Int in the bowl game in this true freshman season.

in his sophmore season, in preseason the coaches were really excited about what he had done in the weight room taking about every time he lifted weights he added pounds got stronger and stronger added 10 pounds, got to 6-4 225. Sophmore year was so so , made the sure tackle didnt show any ball skills. was a blizter at saftey alot.We have a very aggressive Defense coach that blizts alot, safeties Linbers, everyone.

in Tates Junior season he put everything together, he was a force, he rushed the QB alot better, HE covered Wideoutsm deep field better. He is like a 5 tool player in baseball. He can run , hitt he can play zone, play man ,. He doesnt really do anything very very well, he does everything good. You can tell he is getting better each day,

He is starting to Bait Qbs into throwing into his half of the field and picking the pass off. he has very soft hands for ints. he covers aton of ground long strider. he is not a finished product yet, in the NFL he will need 1 or 2 seasons to get the speed of the game down and feel 100% comfortable.

right now i would give him a high first round grade from picks, 20-32. NFL he reminds me of Adrian Wilson of the Cards.

shylo3716
12-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Can you say Dallas Cowboy

GloryDaysRBack
12-28-2010, 06:03 PM

I'll pass...Dallas needs a safety that can come in and play from day 1...Tate doesn't sound like that guy..we don't have time to wait to groom a safety.

shylo3716
12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I'll pass...Dallas needs a safety that can come in and play from day 1...Tate doesn't sound like that guy..we don't have time to wait to groom a safety.

Which Safety prospect in this draft is not worth grooming?

JustDezIT
12-28-2010, 11:18 PM
what makes you think that?

JustDezIT
12-28-2010, 11:19 PM

IMO he could....

Clarkw267
12-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Tate is a much better Safety prospect than Taylor Mays. He actually can flip his hips and cover either the deep half, or man to man in the slot.

I'd definitely start looking at him in the 20s.

thebow305
12-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Kenny Tate or Rahim Moore for Top Safety?

Duffman57
12-29-2010, 03:32 AM
Tate to me looks like a guy who could really turn into a great deep half S who could just wash away an entire side of the field.

I dont know if its just me or not, but every time i see him he SCREAMS Adrian Wilson. A big bodied S who can really hit, but he knows how to use his length and for how big he is, is able to really get out of his cuts and use that in coverage.

shylo3716
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
what makes you think that?

When Dalls figures out that PP and Amukamara will be gone, either they will trade back to get Tate or take him as is. I believe his stock will soar from Combine workouts.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Kenny Tate or Rahim Moore for Top Safety?

Tate all the way 3 times on sundays, when he figures out how good he can be WATCH out, his up side is out of this world, the coaches and his teammates at Maryland call him "The Freak" for good reason.

Duffman57
12-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Is anyone else watching the game right now, where Tate is basically playing OLB. Of the about 10 snaps i've seen him, he's taken 1 snap at S and he took a terrible angle to the ball. He's basically playing as a 3-4 OLB the entire game so far.

DiG
12-29-2010, 02:12 PM
our def coordinator lines tate up at the line a lot early and sends him on blitzes a ton early. he usually drops back more into his FS spot more in the second half in most games. it really depends on the matchup.

GloryDaysRBack
12-29-2010, 02:18 PM
When Dalls figures out that PP and Amukamara will be gone, either they will trade back to get Tate or take him as is. I believe his stock will soar from Combine workouts.

If Dallas losses on Sunday @ Philly then there is no way PP and Prince are off the board when they pick. Worst case scenario is Dallas will be picking 6th..even if both are off the board Dallas still won't trade down and take Tate..fairley, Quinn, bowers (can he play 3-4?) are all possibilities at 6...

DBNYDP
12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
If Dallas losses on Sunday @ Philly then there is no way PP and Prince are off the board when they pick. Worst case scenario is Dallas will be picking 6th..even if both are off the board Dallas still won't trade down and take Tate..fairley, Quinn, bowers (can he play 3-4?) are all possibilities at 6...
Fairley would be a viable option as 1-gap NT. He can do that. I don't think he would be a great 2-gap player. Quinn would be a nice OLB. Bowers...well he can, but his natural position is 4-3 DE, he would be a larger OLB if anything I would say.

Stupid play by Tate there. Good rush, but he held on after the ball was clearly out.
Not seeing him in coverage too much..

GloryDaysRBack
12-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Fairley would be a viable option as 1-gap NT. He can do that. I don't think he would be a great 2-gap player. Quinn would be a nice OLB. Bowers...well he can, but his natural position is 4-3 DE, he would be a larger OLB if anything I would say.

Stupid play by Tate there. Good rush, but he held on after the ball was clearly out.
Not seeing him in coverage too much..

Haven't seen him in coverage at all..

Horrible call by the refs on that late hit.

GloryDaysRBack
12-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I've seen two instances in which he failed to wrap up to tackle. He seems like he's a shoulder tackler. Likes to lower the shoulder and drill people..i don't like that.

DBNYDP
12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
He has been in coverage like a total of 5 plays or something.
Late hit call was justified.
He made impact,then the ball was thrown, and Tate continued to push him, and then drove him into the ground, without the ball in his hands.
Was pretty clear call for me.

DiG
12-29-2010, 03:19 PM
i cant argue that late hit call. good pressure on tate but just a second late but i do completely disagree with the should tackling. tates a talented tackler having watched all season. youll see as the draft gets closer the analyst/scouts will agree when they go back and look at the film.

He has been in coverage like a total of 5 plays or something.

ecu simply cannot handle the blitz so md wont stop

DBNYDP
12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
ecu simply cannot handle the blitz so md wont stop
Well that sucks for Tate.
Hasn't looked great in the few coverage plays he has been.
Looks good blitzing.

ElectricEye
12-29-2010, 04:51 PM
I've been been really impressed with him coming off the edge on the blitz today. He's already proved himself in coverage to me multiple times over, so that's just icing on the cake really.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Tate is having a B type of game, making tackles rushing the passer alot. nothing amazing i still feel he is in the last first round range.

DiG
12-29-2010, 05:18 PM
covered a lot of ground nicely on that corner fade pass breakup

Grizzlegom
12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Overall up and down game from Tate which is pretty consistent with what I've seen from him. Definitely a great blitzer and when he takes the right angle, he absolutely kills the ball carrier as a fierce hitter. Coverage skills have been improving but they still leave a lot to be desired. He definitely needs to go to a scheme where he's allowed to freelance because he plays with almost no discipline. In a normal draft I'd say he's a 3rd round upside guy but in this draft he could go as high as early 2nd due to lack of S talent. still think he'll be a SS on a lot of boards and even an OLB to a couple teams.

FUNBUNCHER
12-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Overall up and down game from Tate which is pretty consistent with what I've seen from him. Definitely a great blitzer and when he takes the right angle, he absolutely kills the ball carrier as a fierce hitter. Coverage skills have been improving but they still leave a lot to be desired. He definitely needs to go to a scheme where he's allowed to freelance because he plays with almost no discipline. In a normal draft I'd say he's a 3rd round upside guy but in this draft he could go as high as early 2nd due to lack of S talent. still think he'll be a SS on a lot of boards and even an OLB to a couple teams.

A little over the top, IMO.

ElectricEye
12-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I think you're being extremely harsh with him for whatever reason. Not seeing anywhere near the amount of red flags you're listing. Not saying he's a top five prospect or anything or even a major super duper first round value, but this isn't a guy who can't cover and is just a free lancer.

Grizzlegom
12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
A little over the top, IMO.

I actually don't mean that in a bad way. He's at his best when he's allowed to roam free and gamble and make plays. That's what Maryland lets him do and that's why he had such a big year. I'm just saying he should to be used in a Troy Polamalu type role where he can let all that athleticism and playmaking ability take over.

I know I've been a bit harsher on him than others, part of me is just trying to play a little devil's advocate as I think any 1st round talk is a little premature for any safety in this weak class but for all the negatives I've been saying, I'm still listing him as a player in the 48-70 range...I'd love to see Miami trade back in the first and then bring in Tate in the late second we would get in a trade back honestly, he's exactly the type of safety we need as Yeremiah Bell has lost a step and his playmaking has gone with it.

JustDezIT
12-30-2010, 12:27 PM
This kid will DOMINATE in a Polamalu type role at the next level. Just let him roam and do his own thing and occasionally send him on the blitz.

Like somebody said, he's already proved to be dominate against the pass, yesterday he proved he was dominate as a pass rusher aswell.

I say early 2nd. Could go at the top of round 1 with a sick combine.

toddmlazarchick
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
The next Sean Taylor.

Ummmmm NOT A FREAKING CHANCE IN HELL!!!! There will never, ever, EVER be another player of his caliber.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Ummmmm NOT A FREAKING CHANCE IN HELL!!!! There will never, ever, EVER be another player of his caliber.

I AGREE TIMES 1 MILLION, Taylor just played with so much passion, and fire, and never quit. he had more juice than any player ever, He was SO HARDCORE. the natural. i am his biggest fan ever.

Tate is a big saftey and good in coverage, run stuff.

Taylor was building a HALL OF FAME CAREER.

FuzzyGopher
12-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Can you tell me the winning Powerball numbers for next week and the Super Bowl champs for the next 10 years? I'll give you 10% of my winnings. Tyia.

BaLLiN
12-30-2010, 06:36 PM
you guys are crazy, 1st round? early 2nd round? I mean he looks like an above average player for the Terps, but the ACC hasn't proven itself to be a powerful conference. I'll give him late 2nd to early 4th in a weak safety class.

He's used at corner, slot, centerfield, OLB which is something alot of DC's will love, but i don't see him as a dominant player in any of them. If by free lancing you mean he should play Rover or Hero, then i would have to agree because he isn't someone i want to give a pivotal responsibility on my defense because of how he new he looks to deep coverage.

JaxJag_1
12-30-2010, 09:39 PM
but the ACC hasn't proven itself to be a powerful conference.

You scout the player, not his school or conference.

BaLLiN
12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
You scout the player, not his school or conference.

level of competition definitely deserves consideration when scouting a player.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Lets see all the bowl games before we judge the quality of the ACC. Right now ACC is 3-1 in bowl games with wins over an SEC team and #22 West Virginia. If Virginia Tech plays #4 Stanford, 7-5 BC plays #15 Nevada, and Florida State plays SEC West champions South Carolina. I think how these teams play will show the strength of the ACC.

prock
12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
level of competition definitely deserves consideration when scouting a player.

I guess you only like players from the Big Ten, SEC, and Pac 10 then.

toddmlazarchick
12-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Can you tell me the winning Powerball numbers for next week and the Super Bowl champs for the next 10 years? I'll give you 10% of my winnings. Tyia.

Sean Taylor had put everything together his last season, both on and off the field, and was on his way to the best safety ever. Please bookmark this and feel free to bring it up and rub it in my face when someone like that ever comes along again.

prock
12-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Sean Taylor had put everything together his last season, both on and off the field, and was on his way to the best safety ever. Please bookmark this and feel free to bring it up and rub it in my face when someone like that ever comes along again.

OK, if you insist that you can say he was on his on his way to be the best of all time after one season with absolute certainty, please feel free.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-31-2010, 05:19 PM
It's dumb projecting what Sean could have been, he could have been just a good player, who knows, yeah he was an elite DB the year he passed but small sample size. Comparing Taylor to Tate as a prospect however is ludicrous. Taylor dominated college football all 3 years in college. He was the thrope winner, had 10 INT's in his junior season and was the biggest hitter on the field. Tate has great physical tools no doubt but he has never once for an entire game stood out to me as a potentially great player. Taylor's junior years was one of the best single seasons for a defender in the past 25 years. Tate is a good prospect but late first is his ceiling. Sean was a top 5 prospect in a great draft.

FuzzyGopher
12-31-2010, 05:21 PM

Eternity is a pretty long time, so to say that there will never be a safety as good as him is hyperbole times 1,000,000,000,000.

BaLLiN
01-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I guess you only like players from the Big Ten, SEC, and Pac 10 then.

no, i just dont jizz over players that compile misleading stats. Thats not a pivotal point of my evaluation, but it has to count for something.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Now that's Maryland's defensive co.coach Don Brown will return in the randy Edsall coaching staff. I think Kenny Tate will stay in school for he's senior season and graduates. That's best for him,because he needs one more year to refine his skills. Plus as a Terp fan am happy as all get out. Because every year he has inpressed and improved. Every game he played in he was the best athlete on the field. And Maryland player u of Miami, Florida state, Clemson this year. He needs to work on read and reacting to plays quicker in coverage. And work on playing faster,and more fire and passion like bob sanders, Ronnie Lott did.2012 if he stays healthy he should me a lock for top 15 draft pick.

JustDezIT
01-15-2011, 03:56 PM
did he declare? I think not. Good decision IMO. Could go top 15 next year.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
01-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Looks like Tate made his self 10's of millions of bucks by staying in college.
Scout.com has his the #1 defensive player in the 2012 NFL draft.
And the#2 overall player , only behind Andrew Luck here is the link. i am a Huge Tate and Maryland fan and i am shocked a little. I knew he was looked on as a high level talent, but #2 over all thats Eric Berry , Laron Landry range. I think this season Maryland's defense Co will use Tate more in center field Fs role. So Tate can show his great range and ball skills. We all know he is very good against the run as a blizter.

The Top 32 Returning NFL Prospects (among those eligible for the 2012 Draft).

1. QB Andrew Luck, Stanford (Jr.)
2. FS Kenny Tate, Maryland
3. ILB Don'ta Hightower, Alabama (Jr.)
4. CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida
5. WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina (Jr.)
6. SS Mark Barron, Alabama
7. OLB Nigel Bradham, Florida State
8. DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
9. OT Matt Reynolds, BYU
10. DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State (Jr.)
11. OT Mike Adams Ohio State
12. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama (Jr.)
13. OLB Zach Brown, North Carolina
14. OLB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1041584.html

DiG
03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
For what its worth. Maryland just released their Spring Depth Chart and it looks like Edsall is moving Tate to "Star" Linebacker. His two backups at the position are also converted safeties and the first impression is that the position will basically be a rover type role that gives Tate a lot of freedom to move all over the place.

fear the elf
03-28-2011, 09:16 AM

did he declare? I think not. Good decision IMO. Could go top 15 next year.

You're the OP! At least try to stay consistent in your own thread!

thenewfeature06
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Justdezit,

You are better than that.

Grizzlegom
03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Overall up and down game from Tate which is pretty consistent with what I've seen from him. Definitely a great blitzer and when he takes the right angle, he absolutely kills the ball carrier as a fierce hitter. Coverage skills have been improving but they still leave a lot to be desired. He definitely needs to go to a scheme where he's allowed to freelance because he plays with almost no discipline. I actually don't mean that in a bad way. He's at his best when he's allowed to roam free and gamble and make plays. In a normal draft I'd say he's a 3rd round upside guy but in this draft he could go as high as early 2nd due to lack of S talent. still think he'll be a SS on a lot of boards and even an OLB to a couple teams.

For what its worth. Maryland just released their Spring Depth Chart and it looks like Edsall is moving Tate to "Star" Linebacker. His two backups at the position are also converted safeties and the first impression is that the position will basically be a rover type role that gives Tate a lot of freedom to move all over the place.

Just sayin...

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I mean if you watched Tate play last 2 years, he played Linebacker position pretty much, 5 -15 yards from the line.So this is not big news. Maryland just lost 2 senior top linebackers to draft /graduation. So Tate should be able to pick up were they left off.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Edsall has said that Tate's future in the NFL is at linebacker. I'm sure he'll bulk up into the 230's but IMO this will hurt his draft stock.

FUNBUNCHER
04-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Edsall has said that Tate's future in the NFL is at linebacker. I'm sure he'll bulk up into the 230's but IMO this will hurt his draft stock.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tate transfers.

New dumb ass coach comes in and tells an all-conference, prototype in-the-box safety he's a LB??

A 'team player' oftentimes is a guy who's willing to screw his NFL draft prospects for the 'good of the team'.
You think any NFL GM is gonna think, 'wow what a great guy Tate is, he moved from his natural position to play a position he's not ideally suited for.'

GTFOH.

We miss you, Fridge.