PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Carolina is #1

Scott Wright
12-26-2010, 07:08 PM
The Carolina Panthers have officially clinched the #1 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Now they just pray that Stanford QB Andrew Luck comes out...

SchizophrenicBatman
12-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Luck's decision could lead to a huge celebration or a huge meltdown...

I really have no idea what direction they go if he stays in school

DBNYDP
12-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I think Bowers would be a nice pick otherwise..
I mean he can be a Peppers type player for them.

Scott Wright
12-26-2010, 07:18 PM

I don't think Bowers has that kind of upside... Quinn might though.

CashmoneyDrew
12-26-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm now officially hoping Luck stays.

Luck, Barkley and Foles would be a great pool for the Titans to pick from next year.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Please stay Luck.

papageorgio
12-26-2010, 07:24 PM
If Luck doesn't declare will Carolina take Newton?

DBNYDP
12-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't think Bowers has that kind of upside... Quinn might though.
He doesn't have his speed, but I think he can still give them another dominant DE. Quinn has a lot of upside but I'm cynical about his ability to reach that potential.

scpanther22
12-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Peter King said he thinks Luck will stay

papageorgio
12-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Peter King said he thinks Luck will stay

As a panthers fan would you be upset if they picked Newton?

Pat Sims 90
12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Nick Fairley could be the pick if Luck stays

scpanther22
12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
As a panthers fan would you be upset if they picked Newton?

I am on the fence about Newton..I love his potential but #1 overall for him seems a bit much.

He has the tools but its not the first time we have heard the same thing about a player..

CameronCropper
12-26-2010, 07:33 PM
If Luck doesn't declare will Carolina take Newton?

I think it would be a huge mistake if they did.

Fairley seems like a better pick in the circumstances.

shylo3716
12-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm now officially hoping Luck stays.

Luck, Barkley and Foles would be a great pool for the Titans to pick from next year.

I'm praying Luck stays to shake the draft up. A.J. Green please go #1 overall

Scott Wright
12-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion Luck will stay too. Unless Harbaugh bolts that is.

If Luck doesn't come out I doubt the Panthers will take a quarterback.

regoob2
12-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion Luck will stay too. Unless Harbaugh bolts that is.

If Luck doesn't come out I doubt the Panthers will take a quarterback.
A.J. Green if Luck stays?

NotRickJames
12-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Would love for Luck to stay just because of this. It would break the hearts of the Carolina faithful. Would be hilarious.

TheFinisher
12-26-2010, 07:37 PM
School's for fools!

keylime_5
12-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I think Harbaugh leaves for sure to either the NFL or Michigan and Luck then bolts as well. Should Luck stay I think Carolina goes for Bowers, Green, or Fairley. If they take Quinn then it'll be two years in a row that a team drafts a player who didn't play their last year in college (well, Bradford played a little but not much).

bruschis4all
12-26-2010, 07:41 PM
School's for fools!

He should ask Matt Leinart about staying. What did that cost him? 20 million or something like that. Ouch!!

Morton
12-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Poor Panthers.

They are probably going to miss the next Peyton Manning by being exactly a year too early in their inept ways.

scpanther22
12-26-2010, 07:47 PM
He should ask Matt Leinart about staying. What did that cost him? 20 million or something like that. Ouch!!

True..but I wonder if Luck is as good as people say he is then would staying in school another year really hurt him.

Babylon
12-26-2010, 08:18 PM

It's only speculation as to where Leinart would have gone as a junior.

Brent
12-26-2010, 08:19 PM
It's only speculation as to where Leinart would have gone as a junior.
#1 overall to the Niners. I dont think that was really debatable

Babylon
12-26-2010, 08:27 PM
#1 overall to the Niners. I dont think that was really debatable

We just dont know for sure just as we didnt know for sure that Jake Locker would have gone first last year. It's always easy for people to have 20-20 hindsight after the draft.

RealityCheck
12-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Luck will stay and Mallett will be the pick, bet on it.

CameronCropper
12-26-2010, 08:37 PM

If the Panthers take Ryan Mallett with their first round pick it will set their franchise back another five or six years.

P-L
12-26-2010, 08:47 PM
With a rookie cap, the Panthers probably won't feel obligated to take a quarterback if Luck stays in school.

Nalej
12-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I hope Luck declares. I hate seeing a franchise tanking. Hopefully he resurges that franchise

Incogneetus69
12-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Dallas loses
Buffalo beats Mark Brunells Jets
Cincy beats *Ravens #2 QB* lead Ravens
Cowboys pick #4

Amirite?

Cigaro
12-26-2010, 08:59 PM

No

No

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If Luck doesn't come out, **** on my life. A.J. Green is a fine player, but to take a receiver number one overall, ****.

essential
12-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Dallas loses
Buffalo beats Mark Brunells Jets
Cincy beats *Ravens #2 QB* lead Ravens
Cowboys pick #4

Amirite?

The Jets better not play scrubs ... there has to be something they are playing for even though they clinched a spot. I'll be so pissed if the Bills beat Jets second teamers.

mellojello
12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
There's no good reason for Luck to stay in school.

Halsey
12-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I'd look hard at Locker if I was the Panthers and Luck didn't declare.

Chucky
12-26-2010, 09:47 PM
There's no good reason for Luck to stay in school.

Yup, a Stanford education ain't worth **** yo.

tjsunstein
12-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Sucks for Luck.

Incogneetus69
12-26-2010, 10:23 PM

He can get it later

PoopSandwich
12-26-2010, 10:45 PM

It isn't when you are making millions of dollars and get to live in the Carolinas.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-26-2010, 11:17 PM
I figure if Luck is on the board, take him. If he isn't, wait and see on Clausen. I don't think he's good enough to justify passing on Luck, but good enough to justify passing on the others.

Woodie
12-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Not likely. Assuming we re-sign Charles Johnson (which is pretty much a given - barring ridiculous contract demands), we already have two DE's we like A LOT in Johnson and Hardy. And while Brown hasn't lived up to what we gave up for him, he started to really pick it up before his injury. So DE is really not a position of need.

The real problem on our DL is at DT. We're ok for rotational guys, but we have nobody that is even close to starter quality. So if Luck doesn't declare, I could see us trying to trade down and pick up Fairley or Dareus. In fact, I think there is a very good chance that even if we can't find a trading partner, we'd still take Fairley at #1, even though it would be a bit of a reach.

I also don't think it would be Green since we already have Steve Smith and two rookies that seem to be developing just fine, so WR is just not the desperate need that many on the outside think (it hurt this year because they were learning and they had a rookie QB throwing it to them, but with a year under their belt, most think they will be fine). Even if we trade/release Smitty, I don't see Green since I believe the front office and any new coach would want at least one of their top three receivers to be a vet. Peterson is a possibility, though, since we will likely be losing one of our starting CB's, and the other has been in the doghouse lately, but we should be able to fill that spot in FA. So I doubt we go that route.

So my guess is that we go (in order):

QB (only if Luck declares, otherwise no QB)
DT
CB
WR (OL would be up here if there was a top 5 OL prospect this year)

proshoota25
12-26-2010, 11:31 PM
the New England Patriots officially have selection #33, or the first pick of the second round. #33>>>Edwards

shylo3716
12-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Not likely. Assuming we re-sign Charles Johnson (which is pretty much a given - barring ridiculous contract demands), we already have two DE's we like A LOT in Johnson and Hardy. And while Brown hasn't lived up to what we gave up for him, he started to really pick it up before his injury. So DE is really not a position of need.

The real problem on our DL is at DT. We're ok for rotational guys, but we have nobody that is even close to starter quality. So if Luck doesn't declare, I could see us trying to trade down and pick up Fairley or Dareus. In fact, I think there is a very good chance that even if we can't find a trading partner, we'd still take Fairley at #1, even though it would be a bit of a reach.

I also don't think it would be Green since we already have Steve Smith and two rookies that seem to be developing just fine, so WR is just not the desperate need that many on the outside think (it hurt this year because they were learning and they had a rookie QB throwing it to them, but with a year under their belt, most think they will be fine). Even if we trade/release Smitty, I don't see Green since I believe the front office and any new coach would want at least one of their top three receivers to be a vet. Peterson is a possibility, though, since we will likely be losing one of our starting CB's, and the other has been in the doghouse lately, but we should be able to fill that spot in FA. So I doubt we go that route.

So my guess is that we go (in order):

QB (only if Luck declares, otherwise no QB)
DT
CB
WR (OL would be up here if there was a top 5 OL prospect this year)

Which CB will you be losing, Gamble?

Woodie
12-26-2010, 11:43 PM
True..but I wonder if Luck is as good as people say he is then would staying in school another year really hurt him.
Except the fact that he will be losing most of his offense, and there is always the risk of serious injury. Luck's stock will never be higher than it is right now. If he decides to stay in school, he is taking a dangerous gamble with his financial future. It could work out, but it could also very easily cost him millions of dollars, if not tens of millions.

And if he just wants to get his degree, he has plenty of time to get it before he is done playing football.

shylo3716
12-26-2010, 11:50 PM
What do Carolina fans think about A.J. Green being the #1 overall pick?

SRK85
12-27-2010, 12:01 AM
I have no idea but AJ Green is the most logical decision the Panthers could make with the 1st overall pick unless they trade.

Halsey
12-27-2010, 12:47 AM
The Panthers would be better off just picking a different QB if Luck doesn't declare. They'd just need to work really really hard to figure out who it is. A stud WR doesn't mean much with no quality starting QB. Just ask Cardinals fans.

shylo3716
12-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Go for Green.....They can pick McNabb up in the offseason

Bald_81
12-27-2010, 01:48 AM
I honestly think if Luck doesn't declare, Jake Locker will get looked at heavily by Carolina at #1 over Newton and Mallett.

I feel so bad for their fanbase if he doesn't declare though. Talk about a humongous let down after they've basically been anticipating him as their future since mid-November.

JPP90
12-27-2010, 01:57 AM
the New England Patriots officially have selection #33, or the first pick of the second round. #33>>>Edwards

Marty Hurney: Bill, let's talk...there's an Appalachian State QB that we desperately need to convert into a WR.

Bill Belichick: Hmm..and do you think he wouldn't be a Patriot if he were capable of doing that?

Hurney: nice try..this Armanti Edwards has got mad game...he beat Michigan in 2007 and he's a great athlete!

Belichick: ok ok, how about your 2nd round pick. It won't be that high but I guess we'll take it.

Hurney: pick #64 to move up and get Armanti Edwards? Bill, you've got a deal.

Lol gotta love the great swindler...Bill Belichick.

soybean
12-27-2010, 04:15 AM
The Panthers would be better off just picking a different QB if Luck doesn't declare. They'd just need to work really really hard to figure out who it is. A stud WR doesn't mean much with no quality starting QB. Just ask Cardinals fans.

Yeah, but I think this is a bit sugarcoating it.

Cigaro
12-27-2010, 04:21 AM
Sucks for Luck.

We aren't Detroit. The team has talent, just not living up to it. The area's quite nice as well. I'm obviously biased, but I don't see Carolina as a franchise a prospect says '****' to when considering being drafted there.

:((((((((((((((((((

Marshall.

I'd be OK with it. Obviously I want Luck, but if he doesn't declare, I'd rather trade a couple of spots and draft either Green, Peterson, or Fairley.

descendency
12-27-2010, 04:48 AM
He can get it later

Yeah, because Stanford is easy to just quit and come back. I don't know what Luck is studying, but Stanford isn't an NFL-Prep school. It's an actual university.

Poor Panthers.

They are probably going to miss the next Peyton Manning by being exactly a year too early in their inept ways.

Whao... back the horses up, bro. Manning is an all-time great. Luck hasn't even been to the combine.

Verloren
12-27-2010, 05:08 AM
And if he just wants to get his degree, he has plenty of time to get it before he is done playing football.

Seriously confused here. Do you mean Luck is gonna get his degree during his NFL career?

Miaoww
12-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah, because Stanford is easy to just quit and come back. I don't know what Luck is studying, but Stanford isn't an NFL-Prep school. It's an actual university.

Yeah, like they'd stop him enrolling to finish off his degree. I can TOTALLY see that happening(!)

Saints-Tigers
12-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I wonder how ESPN will react when the golden boy Matt ryan is the 4th best QB in the division? yowch.

scpanther22
12-27-2010, 08:59 AM
From MMQB peter King

Carolina's not feeling Lucky this morning.

I heard reliably earlier in the week that Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, the unquestioned top prospect in the draft should he choose to bypass his final two years of eligibility, was thinking about staying in school rather than being this year's Sam Bradford. As I said on NBC last night, Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh told me he thought Luck, a redshirt junior, was leaning toward staying for a fourth year.

I said to Harbaugh Sunday that I'd heard the Luck family (his dad, Oliver Luck, is a former NFL quarterback) was concerned with the fact that drafted players, because of the prospect of a protracted work stoppage, might not even see their playbook or start practice 'til Labor Day -- or later. If that's the case, why wouldn't Luck stay for his fourth year at Stanford and play, whether Harbaugh (who is rumored to be a candidate for both pro and college head-coaching jobs after turning around the Cardinal) is there to coach him or not?Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/12/26/week-16/index.html#ixzz19Ku9R7OX

lod01
12-27-2010, 09:02 AM
From MMQB peter King

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/12/26/week-16/index.html#ixzz19Ku9R7OX

They all say that this time of the year. If this guy is paying attention, which he is, he knows that the potential for a rookie salary cap is very real in 2012 and he will bolt to the bank as the #1 pick in 2011. Otherwise he is as dumb as a brick. He's not.

prock
12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I say he declares. He can go back to Stanford and get his degree later. But right now he needs to take his $50+ million and go to Carolina. I would feel really bad for Carolina if he doesn't declare. But if they get stuck at number one without Luck, I think they go with AJ Green.

mellojello
12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, because Stanford is easy to just quit and come back. I don't know what Luck is studying, but Stanford isn't an NFL-Prep school. It's an actual university.Bill Gates says hello.

DBNYDP
12-27-2010, 02:19 PM
They all say that this time of the year. If this guy is paying attention, which he is, he knows that the potential for a rookie salary cap is very real in 2012 and he will bolt to the bank as the #1 pick in 2011. Otherwise he is as dumb as a brick. He's not.
Eh
Teams aren't going to sign till the CBA is finalized with the rookie caps it looks like.

P-L
12-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Luck won't be getting $50 million this year or any year.

yourfavestoner
12-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Eh
Teams aren't going to sign till the CBA is finalized with the rookie caps it looks like.

Exactly. What makes people think there won't be a rookie cap this year? No team is going to be signing their rookies to any deals until a new CBA is done.

JPP90
12-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Another thing for Luck to think about..Barkley is gonna steal some of his hype. Barkley isnt t going to pull a Locker..he will divide the masses and you will end up with as many people in love with him as with Luck. I think both make fantastic NFL Qb prospects so really, which do you prefer, given a choice of either? He's never gonna be as wanted as he is right now.

MizzouBig12
12-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I really want to see Cam Newton taken as the number 1 pick. Not that I have anything against the Panthers, they just happen to be in this position, but it would be fun to see another monumental bust (ala JaMarcus Russell) at number 1!!

Babylon
12-27-2010, 04:08 PM
I really want to see Cam Newton taken as the number 1 pick. Not that I have anything against the Panthers, they just happen to be in this position, but it would be fun to see another monumental bust (ala JaMarcus Russell) at number 1!!

I think he could be another Josh Freeman so it probably wouldnt be a bad pick, just not there. I'm in the camp that says if it isnt Luck it is a player at a differant position.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Well if Luck stays in school and we go into next season with cLOLson at QB again, we'll be back in the top 5 for Barkley/Luck again anyway

:(

thebow305
12-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Luck or Bowers IMO. Not sure A.J. is worth the Top pick.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I wonder how ESPN will react when the golden boy Matt ryan is the 4th best QB in the division? yowch.

And when exactly is that going to happen? Is it when Matt throws 21 picks next year or...

JPP90
12-27-2010, 11:19 PM
And when exactly is that going to happen? Is it when Matt throws 21 picks next year or...

As much as everyone loves hating on Brees and Manning, Id bet anything you don't see their interceptions tip 20 next year. Guys have down years. You deal with it and move on. Breees is still a better QB than Ryan.

raynman
12-27-2010, 11:48 PM
What do Carolina fans think about A.J. Green being the #1 overall pick?we'd still have crap for a QB. wouldn't do any good. green might get some stats but it wouldn't translate to wins.Go for Green.....They can pick McNabb up in the offseason
that would be a horribly bad and stupid move. how much life does mcnabb have in the league? i would be royally pissed if this was their solution to the QB problem. wouldn't be any better off than we were with jake for years. it's a patchwork solution.

raynman
12-27-2010, 11:51 PM
for those talking bowers or even quinn...DE isn't the issue down here on the Dline...it's all about the lack of push up the middle. DTs are crap and this draft class is weak for that (compared to last year) and there is no one close to being top 5 pick worthy, imo.

defense isn't really the problem here either. it's the offense.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-28-2010, 12:06 AM
The Panthers are really in an odd place as a franchise

They're very close to being able to blow it up everywhere, except really at LB and RB.

There are some good pieces but also a lot of fluff. With the right hire and draft decisions this year they could turn it around real fast...but with the wrong ones, they could be the new Lions/Raiders/etc

It should be an attractive option, though the defensive personnel kind of locks you into a 4-3 scheme if you don't want a complete overhaul - Beason will get Vilma'd if you do that, and the only guys on the roster that can make the transition were fringe players this year

shylo3716
12-28-2010, 12:06 AM
we'd still have crap for a QB. wouldn't do any good. green might get some stats but it wouldn't translate to wins.
that would be a horribly bad and stupid move. how much life does mcnabb have in the league? i would be royally pissed if this was their solution to the QB problem. wouldn't be any better off than we were with jake for years. it's a patchwork solution.

You can always trade us for Kolb

DBNYDP
12-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Or get Green this year. Play the year with Clausen as QB, see what happens. If he is good then good for you, otherwise like...you get Luck and Green lol.

Woodie
12-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Marshall will be an UFA and was not happy we didn't offer him the huge contract extension he (mistakenly) believes he's worth. There's very little chance he comes back.

Woodie
12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with taking him #1 based on talent, but if we keep Steve Smith, we really don't need him since both LaFell and Gettis have shown a lot of potential...and should really improve with an offseason to work on their game.

And if we trade Smitty, then I think having our top three receivers with a combined two years experience would be a frightening situation. In this case, we would need a vet, not a rookie.

dannyz
12-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I was in a discussion on in which Luck came out and The Panthers trade the pick. I said it would take a Ricky Williams type of trade for the Panthers to get rid of Luck.

Woodie
12-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Seriously confused here. Do you mean Luck is gonna get his degree during his NFL career?
Sure, why not? Lots of players get theirs by taking classes during the offseason. And Luck is an academic junior so is not that far off from finishing anyway. He'll have a good 15 years to work on completing it, which shouldn't be a problem.

Woodie
12-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Why would he have to quit? He can continue as a current student and complete his degree by being a part-time student. He's already enrolled, so as long as he takes a class or two each year, he should be able to attend classes without much problem. And anyway, I'm sure the school wouldn't have any interest in pushing such a high profile future alumni away...particularly one that has the potential to provide so much financial support.

Woodie
12-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Another thing for Luck to think about..Barkley is gonna steal some of his hype. Barkley isnt t going to pull a Locker..he will divide the masses and you will end up with as many people in love with him as with Luck. I think both make fantastic NFL Qb prospects so really, which do you prefer, given a choice of either? He's never gonna be as wanted as he is right now.
See, that the thing. If Luck stays in school, he'll be doing it without most of his offense and quite possibly his coach...who could also take most of the offensive coaches with him.

So not only would he be stuck with a bunch of guys trying to figure things out, he could have to do it in a completely new offense with a (likely) less skilled play caller and game planner. Throw into that the risk of serious injury, then add the next young hotshot that will inevitably pop up, like Barkley, and Luck could be setting himself up for a huge fall from where he is projected right now.

dannyz
12-28-2010, 09:47 PM
His Dad was on TV during the WVU Game and said that the Lockout stuff is a big part of his Decision.

scpanther22
12-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Another report has Luck leaning toward staying at Stanford
According to Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer, and citing a Stanford source, Luck would stay in school if he had to make a decision today.

The source — who is heavily involved with the Stanford football program and sees Luck every day — said that statement doesn’t mean that Luck has ruled out declaring himself eligible for the 2011 NFL draft. But the source said he “knew” Luck was leaning toward staying at this moment, as the redshirt sophomore quarterback prepares for Monday’s Orange Bowl showdown with Virginia Tech.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/31/another-report-has-luck-leaning-toward-staying-at-stanford/

niel89
01-02-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm hoping that he comes back. He isn't going to be losing a ton of money if he comes back with the new cap coming in.

Bottom line is if Harbaugh leaves Luck is probably gone.

JPP90
01-02-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm hoping that he comes back. He isn't going to be losing a ton of money if he comes back with the new cap coming in.

Bottom line is if Harbaugh leaves Luck is probably gone.

His options look to be michigan, San Fran, Carolina or Cleveland since Kubiak and Sparano are safe, Frazier and Garrett looking like the fulltime coaches in Minny and Dallas. I don't ee the point in going to Michigan if you want an NFL job too because you have to dedicate a lot of time o overhauling that roster from the spread. If you get passed over for an NFL job and that is ultimately what you want, stay put.

niel89
01-02-2011, 01:40 AM
Good point on the Michigan job. It would take 2-3 years to get his personnel installed and if he wants a NFL job, 2 years of semi success at Michigan would probably cool off his hype. He is the hot name now so jump to the NFL is you are going to try.

I could honestly see him going to the SF job because he wouldn't have to move his family at all. Only a 20 min drive to Santa Clara from Palo Alto.

JPP90
01-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Good point on the Michigan job. It would take 2-3 years to get his personnel installed and if he wants a NFL job, 2 years of semi success at Michigan would probably cool off his hype. He is the hot name now so jump to the NFL is you are going to try.

I could honestly see him going to the SF job because he wouldn't have to move his family at all. Only a 20 min drive to Santa Clara from Palo Alto.

He may have the option of going to Carolina and grabbing Luck too,and I recall Harbaugh once likening Luck to his own wife so I think that idea may intrigue him.

Sportsfan486
01-02-2011, 01:50 AM
He may have the option of going to Carolina and grabbing Luck too,and I recall Harbaugh once likening Luck to his own wife so I think that idea may intrigue him.

I think this would be a fantastic notion. What better way to bring a young #1 overall QB into the league then with his college coach? What gentler transition could there be? As has been mentioned, that Carolina team isn't as awful as standard for a #1 overall. They have some talented running backs, potential at WR, and a decent D.

Bring in Harb and Luck and see what happens.

If Luck doesn't come out this is a very strange year in that there isn't really another #1 overall talent but there's a LOT of 2-10 talent. So what do you do at this point? I'd trade it, try to pick up a first, second, third and gather talent. Then next year you either get Luck or Clausen is your guy.

JPP90
01-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Agreed on all points but without Luck I don't think anyone would wanna trade that bounty for the pick unless Locker gives a team like Arizona or SF an enormous boner in the postseason.

LonghornsLegend
01-02-2011, 01:56 AM
If Luck doesn't come out this is a very strange year in that there isn't really another #1 overall talent but there's a LOT of 2-10 talent. So what do you do at this point? I'd trade it, try to pick up a first, second, third and gather talent. Then next year you either get Luck or Clausen is your guy.

This is the whole problem. If Luck doesn't come out, everyone knows there isn't really that other guy for the top spot, so if Carolina realizes it and everyone else does why would someone trade into the #1 pick and give up as much as you suggest?

There is no trading back if your Carolina, you just have to hope Luck declares. The Harbaugh option is very intriguing and I think they should really go after him to see if he wants it, it wouldn't really take long to get that team back to the playoffs.

Their in a bad spot if he doesn't come out. Mallett or Cam Newton with the 1st pick is beyond risky, Locker shouldn't be in contention for it, and for as talented he is AJ Green wouldn't be who I would be hoping for if I'm Carolina at #1 overall.

Miaoww
01-02-2011, 08:11 AM
So in all seriousness - is Luck considered to be an absolutely amazing, can't miss, game changing, elite QB?

'Cos that's how the Panthers message boards are talking about him.

JPP90
01-02-2011, 08:38 AM
If Jimmy Clausen and Matt Moore were your QBs, you'd be trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel too lol

descendency
01-02-2011, 09:12 AM
So in all seriousness - is Luck considered to be an absolutely amazing, can't miss, game changing, elite QB?

Most people talk about him as the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. I even heard one idiot on ESPN say that he's the best QB prospect since John Elway (and he didn't mean just from Stanford).

Flyboy
01-02-2011, 11:23 AM
If Jimmy Clausen and Matt Moore were your QBs, you'd be trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel too lol

I think people are writing off Jimmy Clausen waaaaay too soon.

Babylon
01-02-2011, 11:59 AM

I think he's Matt Ryan and fill in the blanks weather you get too crazy over that. Luck has been the benefactor of an All Pac-10 offensive line that employs 2 TEs to give him even more time. He's cerebral, fairly mobile and you're never going to have to worry about character.

He may struggle a little with the deep ball and we really havent seen him under a pass rush like he will see at the next level, especially going to a bad team. I do think he will come out by the way.

DBNYDP
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
He's considered the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning for good reason. Excellent arm. Great decision making. NFL Ready in his reads. His footwork is really amazing. Mechanics are all good. And the production is there. His touch is really great.

He's going to struggle when he first comes into the league, just getting acclimated to the speed of the game/new system and stuff but...this guy can truly be incredible.

LonghornsLegend
01-02-2011, 12:23 PM
I think people are writing off Jimmy Clausen waaaaay too soon.

For good reason. I remember when people wrote Brady Quinn off too soon also. Watch if they get Luck he'll win the starting job and make the offense look 10x better with the same pieces in play but probably worse because Smith is likely gone. Clausen was supposed to be the QB that draft that was more pro ready then the others, but he's nowhere near good enough to make you give passing up Luck any thought.

BaLLiN
01-02-2011, 12:35 PM
He's considered the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning for good reason. Excellent arm. Great decision making. NFL Ready in his reads. His footwork is really amazing. Mechanics are all good. And the production is there. His touch is really great.

He's going to struggle when he first comes into the league, just getting acclimated to the speed of the game/new system and stuff but...this guy can truly be incredible.

and he's mobile enough to escape from pressure, even to pick up a first down.

Miaoww
01-02-2011, 03:00 PM
After a season of arguing with pretty much every Panthers fan going, I think it might be time to switch teams.

Clausen is to blame for EVERYTHING apparently. I don't see Luck stepping into this situation and doing any better.

Hopefully the new HC is much better at the Xs and Os than Fox. Not that this fan base deserves any success.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
I think you should switch teams Miaoww

anyone who is a fan of a player more than a team should go where the player goes

edit: the fact that you are a Miami fan really means you should bolt. Root for the Cowboys or Redskins like everyone else in the state

Miaoww
01-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I don't support a player over the team. I simply assign the blame where it's due - I don't crucify rookies in shocking situations.

I'm also neither from North Carolina or American.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
The team is terrible. So is your golden boy. Equal assignment of blame. Sometimes a bad rookie is just a bad player. There's a possibility that isn't the case here, but I think the possibility that he's a "just a rookie" who will develop into a great player is even lower

keylime_5
01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
The lockout/labor agreement stuff won't be settled by the January 15th deadline, and I don't think anyone expects there to be a lockout either, so I'm guessing Luck will have to make his decision with all that stuff being up in the air still.

Buc Baller12
01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I hope Luck declares. The NFC south would be QB central for years to come.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I think you should switch sports if you think Clausen is as good as Luck.

Woodie
01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
After a season of arguing with pretty much every Panthers fan going, I think it might be time to switch teams.

Clausen is to blame for EVERYTHING apparently. I don't see Luck stepping into this situation and doing any better.

Hopefully the new HC is much better at the Xs and Os than Fox. Not that this fan base deserves any success.
I stopped talking Clausen a long time ago since most fans either have had an agenda against him long before he ever became a Panther or they are using him as a scapegoat for the failings of the entire team.

With that said, I do think Luck has the potential to be much better than Clausen (which is not a slight against Jimmy, but more about how good I think Luck can be). And lets be honest, Clausen has not looked good this year...at all.

But we also have to be honest and say that Jimmy was put in one of the worst situations any rookie QB has ever been put into. Between poor playcalling and a complete lack of gameplanning to his strengths, to a breakdown of the OL right from the start, to an absence of any sort of running game until 3/4ths of the way through the season, to 2 of his top 3 WR's being rookies who were unsurprisingly inconsistent due to their own inexperience, and to the fact there was no veteran QB on the sidelines to help him out.

And while he was touted as being the most pro-ready QB in the draft, it is obvious that he wasn't ready and should never have been thrust into a position that even the most seasoned QB would have found difficult. He needed a year on the bench to get used to the speed and complexity of defenses in the NFL, as well as understanding that the window in which a receiver is open is much smaller than in college.

So is it any wonder he was gunshy and skittish back there. To be honest, I think one of the reasons he looked so bad, even when he seemingly had some time, was that he simply did not trust the OL or backs to give him the time to set and throw. He always looked to be rushing things out there compared to how he played at ND. I believe with a year under his belt, he'll have a better idea of what to expect and prepare accordingly. And as a result, show marked improvement.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-03-2011, 01:12 AM
But we also have to be honest and say that Jimmy was put in one of the worst situations any rookie QB has ever been put into. Between poor playcalling and a complete lack of gameplanning to his strengths, to a breakdown of the OL right from the start, to an absence of any sort of running game until 3/4ths of the way through the season, to 2 of his top 3 WR's being rookies who were unsurprisingly inconsistent due to their own inexperience, and to the fact there was no veteran QB on the sidelines to help him out.

I'm not buying this. If Bradford sucked this year everyone would say the Rams was an awful situation. Watch that Seahawks game again and tell me his receivers and OLine are really any better. People constantly made excuses for David Carr. I watched David Carr start outside of Houston. The guy was never going to be good. He wasn't "beat up." He is just incapable of being a starting NFL QB. Same deal with Alex Smith. He's a good back up, horrible long term starter and he would've been no matter where he went

Clausen has talent. It just might not be enough talent. Carr was extremely athletic. Smith is bright. Rex Grossman has a hell of an arm. Sometimes that isn't enough, and you're just a back up. It's not like that would be surprising given his draft slot. In descending order, quarterbacks drafted in the second round in the past decade: Pat White (LOL), Chad Henne, Brian Brohm, Drew Stanton, John Beck, Kevin Kolb, Tarvaris Jackson, Kellen Clemens, Marques Tuiasasopo, Quincy Carter, Drew Brees

yea, everyone knew Brees was coming. That's one big hit out of 11. Clausen to me looks like he's destined for the Henne/Kolb/Tarvaris level. You can pass the time with those guys, but you're really not going anywhere as a franchise with them either. Brohm is an interesting name on there too. I don't think he's that hopeless, but I'm sure there are people out there who do. Just like I'm sure there a few still holding out that he's Brees

dannyz
01-03-2011, 01:15 AM
http://www.catscratchreader.com/2011/1/3/1910376/a-sign-that-things-are-different#comments Something big might happen. I hope.

bearsfan_51
01-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Actually, in a 32 team league, Brees would have been a 1st round pick.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-03-2011, 01:22 AM
I remember Scott wrote this article up, didnt know that it was still on the site and that he updated it:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

Obviously it's a results-based evaluation, not a process-based one. But none of us are NFL scouts so let's not pretend otherwise. My opinion on the matter has always been that if the NFL has seen enough of a guy that they want him in the 2nd or 3rd, and not the first, then they just aren't going to cut it. You're better off going with someone in the 5th/6th/7th or a UDFA since at least that way, there are no expectations. For every Charlie Batch, Todd Collins, Chris Redman, etc that carved out a solid back up career there are guys who were bigger "projects" or just fell through the cracks that did the same thing. Same for Brees/Schaub vs Brady/Romo/Hasselbeck/etc

edit: Christian Ponder really strikes me as the prototype of one of these guys.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Actually, in a 32 team league, Brees would have been a 1st round pick.

yea he was pick 32 but thats a bit disingenuous. Highly doubtful the team that just won the Super Bowl takes him. The Panthers reportedly wanted to trade up for Clausen (can you imagine Jimmy Clausen traded for #1 overall and Armanti Edwards traded for #33?) and take him at 33 last year. If the NFL adds a couple more teams, I don't think we should be saying Clausen wouldve been a first rounder 10 years from now

Woodie
01-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm not buying this. If Bradford sucked this year everyone would say the Rams was an awful situation. Watch that Seahawks game again and tell me his receivers and OLine are really any better. People constantly made excuses for David Carr. I watched David Carr start outside of Houston. The guy was never going to be good. He wasn't "beat up." He is just incapable of being a starting NFL QB. Same deal with Alex Smith. He's a good back up, horrible long term starter and he would've been no matter where he went
I understand the tendency to compare, but it's really not a fair comparison. If you watched the Rams then watched the Panthers, you would notice that the Rams protected Bradford early on, giving him quick reads and short, easy throws to get him comfortable and allow him to adjust to the NFL. Then you would notice that the Panthers did not do a thing to change up their offense to account for Jimmy's inexperience, strengths and weaknesses, struggling OL, nothing. Instead of designing plays for him to get rid of the ball quickly and develop a rhythm and gain some confidence, they kept to the slowly developing, play action pass plays that had been the hallmark of our offense under John Fox. It's actually one of the main complaints on John Fox, he does not adjust to either the situation or his personnel, rather, he tries to force them to fit into his schemes.

Clausen has talent. It just might not be enough talent. Carr was extremely athletic. Smith is bright. Rex Grossman has a hell of an arm. Sometimes that isn't enough, and you're just a back up. It's not like that would be surprising given his draft slot. In descending order, quarterbacks drafted in the second round in the past decade: Pat White (LOL), Chad Henne, Brian Brohm, Drew Stanton, John Beck, Kevin Kolb, Tarvaris Jackson, Kellen Clemens, Marques Tuiasasopo, Quincy Carter, Drew Brees
To be honest, I don't know what Clausen will be. I don't think we can tell much from this season though, because he was put into such a bad situation, clearly before he was ready. With that said, I do believe he still has the ability to be a solid starter, but it's definitely not a given.

yea, everyone knew Brees was coming. That's one big hit out of 11. Clausen to me looks like he's destined for the Henne/Kolb/Tarvaris level. You can pass the time with those guys, but you're really not going anywhere as a franchise with them either. Brohm is an interesting name on there too. I don't think he's that hopeless, but I'm sure there are people out there who do. Just like I'm sure there a few still holding out that he's Brees
You might be right. If he wasn't a rookie, and still had these struggles, I might be more inclined to see this as a liklihood. As it is, I can see legitimate reasons for why he played so poorly, so will give him some time to better define where he will end up in the QB pecking order. However, I do think he needs to show marked improvement by as soon as preseason.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
The Panthers changed up their game plan as the season went on. When Clausen first came in he was running the same sputtering John Fox offense we always had but they reduced the playbook some and tried to focus more on short passes after Moore was put on IR. The issue is that Clausen still had a ton of those vertical short passes knocked down by DEs and that when he'd get a chance to score a TD on a quick crossing route, he'd throw the ball at the feet of his WR. I also believe the 2 or 3 times a receiver lined up without a defender on him this year and was screaming at his QB to throw a quick smoke route that Bradford would have recognized that a lot faster

I suppose you can say that Bradford had a marginally better situation (mainly that he didnt have Jeff Davidson at OC) but again, if he was a failure to the level Clausen was I'm sure the Rams would look quite awful and that card could be played as well. His performance against the Seahawks was positively Clausen-esque if I must say, and the surrounding cast sure looked awful when he wasn't elevating their level of play.

Woodie
01-04-2011, 02:03 AM
The Panthers changed up their game plan as the season went on. When Clausen first came in he was running the same sputtering John Fox offense we always had but they reduced the playbook some and tried to focus more on short passes after Moore was put on IR. The issue is that Clausen still had a ton of those vertical short passes knocked down by DEs and that when he'd get a chance to score a TD on a quick crossing route, he'd throw the ball at the feet of his WR. I also believe the 2 or 3 times a receiver lined up without a defender on him this year and was screaming at his QB to throw a quick smoke route that Bradford would have recognized that a lot faster

I suppose you can say that Bradford had a marginally better situation (mainly that he didnt have Jeff Davidson at OC) but again, if he was a failure to the level Clausen was I'm sure the Rams would look quite awful and that card could be played as well. His performance against the Seahawks was positively Clausen-esque if I must say, and the surrounding cast sure looked awful when he wasn't elevating their level of play.
Not really. The Panthers never truly adjusted their scheme to account for Clausen's inexperience and obvious struggles. While it may have appeared that they started calling more short pass plays, they really didn't. It was just that Clausen was constantly checking down because he wasn't given much time by the OL and didn't know how to extend the play. And for the most part, when receivers were open and screaming for the ball, it was usually either after Clausen started feeling pressure and started looking for the check down or the play was designed to go elsewhere and Clausen had already committed. Of course, Smitty always screamed for the ball and thought he was open, whether he was or not (usually not).

The thing is that by the end of the year Clausen was clearly shell shocked. He didn't trust his line or backs to protect him, and played very rushed. Does that mean he will suddenly become the next great thing at QB with better protection, no. Heck, he didn't even show enough to feel confident that he will be the next good thing at QB with better protection. But I think there are enough legitimate reasons to not make a final judgement on him at this point. But by next season he needs to show strides in recognition, pocket presence, and composure. Not that he has to suddenly become Tom Brady or anything, but enough to show that he is heading in the right direction. After all, not everybody develops at the same speed, but there does need to be real improvement.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2011, 04:00 AM
But we also have to be honest and say that Jimmy was put in one of the worst situations any rookie QB has ever been put into.

OMG I think I'm gonna throw up if I have to read this again. Jesus Christ, if you don't get drafted into a team that has filled every need like Aaron Rodgers then you were in a terrible situation. Carolina is the worst situation a rookie QB has ever been put into? AAahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.....

He has 2 elite RB's, guys who are top 10 talent wise, Goodson gives them the best 3 back rotation in the league. Steve Smith is an elite #1 WR, about as talented as they come. The offensive line did have some injuries, oh noeeezzz, heaven forbid every position isn't filled with a pro bowler.

They need a WR opposite Steve Smith, they need a pass catching TE, they need help on the line and to stay healthy, but gtfo if you think Carolina was anywhere near the worst situation for a rookie QB EVER, please give me some of what your smoking.

The ONLY thing you heard after the draft is how Jimmy Clausen was drafted into a perfect situation, and what better situation for a rookie QB to go into, yet when he plays like ****, and so does the rest of the team, now it was a **** situation to begin with.

Obviously, unless you have Fitz and Boldin at WR, Adrian Peterson at RB, Antonio Gates at TE and pro bowlers across the offensive line your situation is crap. I mean all those WR's and TE's Sam Bradford has to throw to has really done wonders for him. I guess the Browns managed to upgrade their roster for Colt McCoy while some of us were asleep, I seemed to miss the one skill position player they had that was worth a damn.

I guarantee you if Luck declares and ends up in Carolina, starting day 1, he'd make that offense move the chains and look alot better, that's pretty much what a good QB does for you. People just need to stop calling Carolina such a terrible situation, unless you guys thought Clausen was the type of raw QB prospect who should have been drafted in the 5th round to sit on the bench for 3 seasons until a perfect storm on offense was ready to be unleashed.

yourfavestoner
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I've posted this in various threads, and in one of our Jimmy Clausen threads during the season.

Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Flacco have set the bar for rookies so unrealistically high now that it's hard for people to figure out what to look for in a rookie quarterback.

Expecting anything other than bad QB play from play to play (let alone game to game) is just downright unrealistic. They're going to be bad, they're going to be inconsistent, they will not string drives together, they will turn the ball over, they will get sacked. For the most part, they have no idea what the **** they're doing out there. You're looking far more for flashes of talent to show through, and observe how they handle the adversity of being really unsuccessful.

And from my truth's thread.
I completely agree with this. Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Flacco have created unrealistic expectations for rookie quarterbacks in recent years. We've gotta temper the expectations back down.

Like you said, you're looking for flashes of potential. You cannot expect them to be consistent from game to game, series to series, or even from play to play. Also, the biggest thing you're looking at is how he's carrying himself. How is he dealing with being the worst player on the field? Is he letting go of his mistakes and focusing on the next throw?

You're not really looking for him to LEAD (but that doesn't hurt), but you need to make sure he's still exhibiting confidence in himself. If you get that out of your rookie quarterback, plus some flashes and key drives/moments mixed in there, you've quite possibly got yourself a keeper. The key is the development that occurs in years two and three.

That's a huge reason why I liked Josh Freeman so much coming into this season. Was the overall body of work good? No. He was terrible. But you definitely saw flashes of potential greatness with him last year.

Panthers fans: did you see anything that would lead you to believe he has the ability to be a starting quarterback in the league? I can't say because I only watched a few quarters of Panthers football this year. Were there any "flashes"
whatsoever? Did he forget about mistakes and move on, or did he go into a Sanchez-like sulk when the **** hit the fan?

jrdrylie
01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Not like this is a surprise or anything, but sources tell ESPN that the Panthers WILL draft Luck if he declares and would not even consider trading down. Very rare that teams are that definite when it comes to the draft. Could this be a very early smoke screen or a way of telling teams to start making offers for Clausen?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5988254

SRK85
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Interesting but I don't think Luck will declare.

jrdrylie
01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Interesting but I don't think Luck will declare.

Me neither. If he was going to declare, I think he would have done it yesterday. The longer he puts off the announcement, the more likely I think he is to stay in school. Or maybe I'm wrong and he is just waiting for a decision by Harbaugh.

Scott Wright
01-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Once again, if Harbaugh leaves then Luck is gone.

Cigaro
01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Luck is leaving, although the decision will come after Harbaugh's, as I see that as the deciding factor. But with Harbaugh likely for the NFL somewhere, Luck will be a Panther!

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Once again, if Harbaugh leaves then Luck is gone.

http://travisprange.com/blog/images/jackbauer.jpg

Hello, Mr. Harbaugh?

armageddon
01-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Luck's stock will never be higher. He would be an idiot not to declare. Didn't Bradford get a 50 mill contract with 30 mill guaranteed last year ? Luck will top that. Declare you fool. Carolina would be a good place to play. Good weather, beaches, good golf.

jrdrylie
01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Luck's stock will never be higher. He would be an idiot not to declare. Didn't Bradford get a 50 mill contract with 30 mill guaranteed last year ? Luck will top that. Declare you fool. Carolina would be a good place to play. Good weather, beaches, good golf.

Luck will not top it. Neither will anybody again. It a new CBA is signed before the draft, it will have a rookie wage scale. And if no CBA is signed, there will still be a draft but teams won't sign their picks. And after the lockout, when the CBA is finally signed, it will contain a rookie wage scale. The days of huge guaranteed money is over. Luck will be lucky to get $10 million guaranteed this year.

Sniper
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/panthers-unlikely-to-trade-top-pick/

On the next Panthers coach: Richardson confirmed they will go after an NFL assistant coach. Jim Harbaugh isnít a candidate.

bearsfan_51
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Ah, yes. The lovely beaches of Charlotte.

yourfavestoner
01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/panthers-unlikely-to-trade-top-pick/

Translation: Harbaugh will cost too much money.

Babylon
01-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Translation: Harbaugh will cost too much money.

I noticed John Elway with a real #### eating grin down in the Orange Bowl last night.

bearsfan_51
01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
That's just Elway's face.

Miaoww
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
I've posted this in various threads, and in one of our Jimmy Clausen threads during the season.

And from my truth's thread.

Panthers fans: did you see anything that would lead you to believe he has the ability to be a starting quarterback in the league? I can't say because I only watched a few quarters of Panthers football this year. Were there any "flashes"
whatsoever? Did he forget about mistakes and move on, or did he go into a Sanchez-like sulk when the **** hit the fan?

I thought he handled the situation well. He kept his head up and tried to lead the offence. Obviously the situation he walked into was wildly different to the one many thought he was entering, but I think he did ok. He certainly started adjusting to the speed of the NFL as the season progressed and began to make more plays.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to improve on, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes into next season as the starter (even if they draft Luck) and does very well for himself.

SRK85
01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Luck will not top it. Neither will anybody again. It a new CBA is signed before the draft, it will have a rookie wage scale. And if no CBA is signed, there will still be a draft but teams won't sign their picks. And after the lockout, when the CBA is finally signed, it will contain a rookie wage scale. The days of huge guaranteed money is over. Luck will be lucky to get $10 million guaranteed this year.

Exactly the new CBA will have a cap on maximum salary. I seriously doubt a CBA will be agreed upon next week, and why would Luck declare if there is a huge threat of a lockout. It is smarter for him to stay.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I thought he handled the situation well. He kept his head up and tried to lead the offence. Obviously the situation he walked into was wildly different to the one many thought he was entering, but I think he did ok. He certainly started adjusting to the speed of the NFL as the season progressed and began to make more plays.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to improve on, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes into next season as the starter (even if they draft Luck) and does very well for himself.

i remember when you thought he was vastly superior to matt moore this season

i still have yet to see a single clausen fan (and dont get me wrong, they are a very small subset of the fanbase - 98% of panthers fans think he is in the running for worst QB in franchise history with david carr) explain why they think he will be a good NFL qb outside of speaking in generalities or blaming the rest of the team. if he was a 6th rounder from cincinnati literally no one would want him on the team next year

Miaoww
01-04-2011, 11:58 PM
He has been vastly superior to Matt Moore. You were watching the Panthers this season, right?

Clausen wasn't the one having multiple pick games. Moore was throwing absolute ducks off his back foot in the red zone.

gpngc
01-04-2011, 11:58 PM
^There's no reason to even have this argument guys.

You're all about to get real lucky.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Clausen won as many games as Moore did in like twice the starts

I don't know what sports they play wherever you live but throwing interceptions is part of football. They don't cut off your arm if you do it. Clausen being terrified of throwing them is part of the reason he was awful. Moore was awful as well because he just floated balls up into quadruple coverage. At the end of the year they both had QB ratings in the 50s and Clausen had a much larger sample. Neither is a starting NFL QB from what they showed this year. Given the circumstances, maybe it isn't fair to judge their entire career based on this season. But it is fair to say that neither showed the potential to be a great QB. At his best, Moore was going to be Jake Delhomme. At Clausen's best, he throws the ball for 180 yards a game with 1 TD and 0 interceptions. That doesn't work in this decades NFL, sorry to say

Please show or explain to me something that shows potential for Clausen to succeed in the NFL. I am honestly curious what you see in the guy. What makes you think he can win a Super Bowl without having the 2000 Ravens defense?

Here is what I don't see in the guy: The fact that no matter how hard he "tried" to lead this year, no one on the team believed in him. After he took a 20 yard sack or would throw a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8 he would go sit on the bench by himself, and no one would go near him. He alienated the best receiver on his team. Jon Beason, the team's actual leader, just called up a local radio station and told them the Panthers should absolutely take a QB at #1. If he saw something in Clausen - and this is a guy who has been around him in practice all year - why the hell would he do that?

SRK85
01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
If Harbaugh goes to the 49ers what are the chances Luck holdsout against Carolina for being drafted?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992094

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
It's no point in trying to hold out for SF, SF is just too far away. Had they lost to Arizona they would be in a good distance but this type of jump is gonna be costly.

It's not like they just can't take Gabbert where they are and take their time with him, if Harbaugh is supposed to be able to develop QB's the way he is Luck shouldn't be the only guy he can work with. It's a match made in heaven, but it'd cost the first half of their draft this year and next AND you need to force Carolina to make that deal which by all accounts they want Luck themselves.

bearsfan_51
01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Luck would have to seriously be in love with Harbaugh to try and pull that off. Seems like idle media speculation at its worst.

armageddon
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Ah, yes. The lovely beaches of Charlotte.

Last time I checked, Carolina had beaches.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2011, 03:55 PM
it takes like 3 hours to get to the beach from charlotte

mountains are like 1.5 though. there are worse places to live

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-05-2011, 05:07 PM
I'd love to live in the Carolinas. Would be great.

Then again, I live in Ottawa, not California.