PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck to Stay or Go

shylo3716
12-26-2010, 11:07 PM
If Luck stays what lies ahead for the Carolina Panthers?

nikkayeah
12-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I saw on rotoworld that he's leaning on staying for his senior year. Hello Ryan Mallet.

Malaka
12-26-2010, 11:12 PM
I feel if Harbaugh stays, Luck stays- If Harbaugh leaves, he leaves.

shylo3716
12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
I saw on rotoworld that he's leaning on staying for his senior year. Hello Ryan Mallet.

A.J. Green will be the 1st WR taken since Keyshawn Johnson.

PoopSandwich
12-26-2010, 11:17 PM

There haven't been any wide receivers drafted since Keyshawn, I could swear thats wrong.

shylo3716
12-26-2010, 11:25 PM
There haven't been any wide receivers drafted since Keyshawn, I could swear thats wrong.

1984 Irving Fryar-New England Patriots
1996 Keyshawn Johnson-New York Jets

*Only 2 WRs to go #1 overall

Miaoww
12-27-2010, 12:29 AM

If the Panthers take Ryan Mallet I'm literally going to stop supporting them.

JPP90
12-27-2010, 12:38 AM
If the Panthers take Ryan Mallet I'm literally going to stop supporting them.

They won't take Mallett 1st, it was an idiotic post. You could argue he has as much character risk as Newton. Newton could be Young with the immaturity and inconsistency but Mallett could be Leaf with simply being a douchebag that teammates don't respect or follow. If Luck stays I really think Green or maybe Peterson go 1st, with great workouts. Unless Locker puts on an absolute clinic from here on out and they fall in love with him, and I realize that is a longshot but Locker is tailor-made for the workout game.

lod01
12-27-2010, 09:03 AM
No brainer that he goes with a looming rookie salary cap on the horizon.

Sniper
12-27-2010, 09:05 AM
1984 Irving Fryar-New England Patriots
1996 Keyshawn Johnson-New York Jets

*Only 2 WRs to go #1 overall

He was mocking your wording because...

Says that no wide receivers have been drafted at any point since Keyshawn Johnson.

Sniper
12-27-2010, 09:05 AM
They won't take Mallett 1st, it was an idiotic post. You could argue he has as much character risk as Newton. Newton could be Young with the immaturity and inconsistency but Mallett could be Leaf with simply being a douchebag that teammates don't respect or follow. If Luck stays I really think Green or maybe Peterson go 1st, with great workouts. Unless Locker puts on an absolute clinic from here on out and they fall in love with him, and I realize that is a longshot but Locker is tailor-made for the workout game.

Locker's mediocre senior year ensured that he won't be the top overall pick.

RealityCheck
12-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Mallett would be my guess too, I don't think they'll trust any of the QBs in their roster...

LZk_HnE-cdU

And this thread asks for it.

Brent
12-27-2010, 09:26 AM
well, maybe the Niners can hire Harbaugh and we can trade the Panthers some picks and players.

DBNYDP
12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Mallet is probably the most pro-ready. He has had to make his own reads. He hasn't had an offense that made his decisions easier (Bootleg Locker/Newton in that whole offense). Easily the best arm of the three. Constantly has zip on the ball.
Mallet has some decision making problems, and in general reminds me of Cutler. That being said those things can be fixed, and considering the lack of QBs this year I think a team like Arizona would be smart to draft Mallet and then trade for a veteran QB to tutor him. A guy like Kyle Orton can teach Mallet to play a bit smarter. There are character concerns with him, but to be honest this year...so many teams want QBs that you just have to ignore certain things. As far as ceiling I think this guy has an incredibly large ceiling, we are talking about one of the most accurate and strongest arm. If he learns to make the right decisions he can turn into a top 3 QB in the league.

scpanther22
12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I hope he does come out a division with

Andrew Luck
Matt Ryan
Josh Freeman
Drew Brees

would be fun to watch

no bare feet
12-27-2010, 11:38 AM
With the Panthers sitting at one I would say no, but you really cannot think that way. I still think he stays, it seems he has an affinity with Harbaugh. If Harbaugh leaves then yes he is outro.

ThePudge
12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
There's no sense in staying when you're going to be the first overall pick. He'll realize this. No guaranteed Top 5 pick typically stays. I think Harbaugh and Luck might leave the Stanford program together. I'm 90/10 Luck's leaving, but right now I'm sure he's about 60/40 on staying.

umphrey
12-27-2010, 12:37 PM
He'll definitely stay. This being a draft forum everyone wants to believe he'll go, but he'll stay and spend another year with his team and finish his degree.

shylo3716
12-27-2010, 12:44 PM
He'll definitely stay. This being a draft forum everyone wants to believe he'll go, but he'll stay and spend another year with his team and finish his degree.

I hope you are 110% right. I want Green to go in the Elite class as being a #1 overall WR.

prock
12-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Degree + another year with your team <<<<<<<<< $50+ million

keylime_5
12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I think Luck is just as concerned about a work stoppage as he is with Harbaugh leaving. It is possible that he wouldn't be able to practice or get his playbook even until September making most of his rookie year a sit on the bench, learn the playbook type season, so why not just go back to Stanford if you're on the fence about it anyway? IMO the labor thing will be cleaned up in the offseason, we'll have a draft and the players will be able to have training camp....but will it be cleared up by Jan. 15 (underclassmen deadline)? Will they move the deadline back?

There is a lot of acting like Luck staying is detrimental to Carolina, but really they'll be getting an elite core player like Green, Fairley, Bowers, or whoever even if they miss out on a QB who is going to be a perennial pro bowl type player.

Also, mark it down: Newton goes before Mallett.

Malaka
12-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Stanford is arguably one of the top 3 schools in the nation. Although the money might be a bit tempting I don't think the approaching rookie salary cap will affect his decision all too much than say someone coming out of less prestigous academy. I could be wrong but I feel he stays, unless Harbaugh leaves then I think it's obvious Luck will jump ship as well.

Shane P. Hallam
12-27-2010, 01:02 PM

Few things here.

1. He won't make 50 million at #1 overall, 95% chance there is a rookie cap before these rookies get paid.

2. He isn't hurting for money. His Dad played in the NFL, is the AD at WVU, that isn't an issue for him.

3. He can go back and get his degree whenever. I understand wanting to get it and be done, but a smart guy like him will be able to come back to Stanford when he is 25 or 35 or 65 and finish if he needs to.

prock
12-27-2010, 01:07 PM
I didn't know the scale would be set in before this year. But either way, when you are a virtual lock to go #1, you gotta go IMO. I just really want to see him in the NFL next year, and I would feel really bad for Carolina if he didn't declare.

umphrey
12-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Logic doesn't apply to the majority of potential draftees. I'll bring up Locker for the thousandth time. They are king of college town and loving it at a young age and they are all afraid of change.

How this applies to Luck: I think he believes he can live up the college life for another year and still make as much money as he did if he went pro now. Second, I think he wants the self satisfaction of finishing school which he seems to be passionate about.

DBNYDP
12-27-2010, 02:25 PM
From what I've read/heard the scale will be set. If not teams aren't going to sign their guys. That is why the whole "he won't see the playbook till Labor Day complaint has appeared".
He is a definite #1 this year.
Who knows what happens next year.
The fact is your stock can't be higher than it is now, there is no 0 pick. From the perspective of entering the NFL Draft there is honestly nothing better he can do.
If he wants to stay in to win a Championship/finish his degree that is another situation all together.
I think someone pointed out that this guy doesn't really need money, his family is loaded, so it isn't like he needs the money right now.

dannyz
12-27-2010, 04:50 PM
I think he goes. Lets say the NFL does not start right away and he can't practice with his team, That would be the time he could go back and get the Degree. When your the 1ST Overall Pick you can't get any higher and there is no where to go but down.

Saints-Tigers
12-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I hope you are 110% right. I want Green to go in the Elite class as being a #1 overall WR.

You do realize that going #1 doesn't make Green any better or worse, correct?

katnip
12-27-2010, 04:56 PM
I say go - to the panthers

its not like panthers have horrible personel/offense to me. you have j-stew, steve smith (who knows if he stays though), jeff otah, jordan gross, deangelo although he's most likely gone?,

if he does go to the panthers i'd most def draft another wr to compliment smith like muhsin muhammad did, maybe leonard hankerson?

drowe
12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
comin' out like a boner in sweat pants.

49erNation85
12-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I think he stays IMO he realizes and doesn't wanna play for Carolina so he stays and tries to win a National Champ with Standford.Then comes out and puts together a great senior bowl week .

katnip
12-27-2010, 05:06 PM
isn't he rs-soph though?

@senior bowl

brasho
12-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Why does everybody keep saying "He might stay for his senior year"? The guy would be a junior next season... which only reinforces my opinion of why he is such a fantastic prospect. Of course last season when people were debating over Clausen and Bradford, I declared I would take Luck over both of them.... and no, I'm not going back to find those posts but you can if you like.

brasho
12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I think he stays IMO he realizes and doesn't wanna play for Carolina so he stays and tries to win a National Champ with Standford.Then comes out and puts together a great senior bowl week .

He isn't eligible for the Senior Bowl for another two years... after this one.

nikkayeah
12-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Why does everybody keep saying "He might stay for his senior year"? The guy would be a junior next season... which only reinforces my opinion of why he is such a fantastic prospect. Of course last season when people were debating over Clausen and Bradford, I declared I would take Luck over both of them.... and no, I'm not going back to find those posts but you can if you like.

My fault i meant stay to get his degree

P-L
12-27-2010, 06:33 PM
It's extremely unlikely that Harbaugh is coaching Stanford next year. If you guys think that Luck's future at Stanford is tied to Harbaugh's then you might as well keep Andrew Luck in your mock drafts. After the bowl game Harbaugh will have his choice of NFL money or his dream job. I doubt he passes on both to stay at Stanford. Right now I'd put the odds at:

65% University of Michigan Head Coach
30% NFL Head Coach
4.5% Stanford Head Coach
0.5% Other NCAA Head Coach

wordofi
12-27-2010, 06:40 PM

I'm taking the $50 million.

Babylon
12-27-2010, 07:04 PM
He doesnt have to look any farther than his buddy Jake Locker, Luck is losing 3/5ths of his O-line, a couple of receivers and he could crack a rib.

The whole degree thing is overblown, he's been there 3 years and unless he isnt too bright he's probably close to it right now.

As for not wanting to play for Carolina that is bogus too, it's a nice part of the country, not far from where he's from and if you're good enough you turn it around. I think the only thing that could derail that scenario is if Harbaugh goes somewhere like San Francisco then the teams could talk trade and he could end up somewhere else.

FUNBUNCHER
12-27-2010, 07:12 PM
If Tiger Woods can leave Stanford early and come back later to finish his degree, why is it such a hardship for Luck to do the same???

MURPHMAN
12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
It's extremely unlikely that Harbaugh is coaching Stanford next year. If you guys think that Luck's future at Stanford is tied to Harbaugh's then you might as well keep Andrew Luck in your mock drafts. After the bowl game Harbaugh will have his choice of NFL money or his dream job. I doubt he passes on both to stay at Stanford. Right now I'd put the odds at:

65% University of Michigan Head Coach
30% NFL Head Coach
4.5% Stanford Head Coach
0.5% Other NCAA Head Coach

I agree although I think Stanford and other NCAA schools might have a slightly higher chance than you are giving them. Still, the Wolves or the NFL will probably lure him away.

Babylon
12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
If Tiger Woods can leave Stanford early and come back later to finish his degree, why is it such a hardship for Luck to do the same???

Very true and Tiger was probably a lot more distracted than Luck.:-D

DBNYDP
12-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes but you don't say no to Tiger Woods.

And I'm pretty sure he didn't come back to get his diploma.

scpanther22
12-27-2010, 10:56 PM
isnt Luck losing 6 senior starters on offense?

thats a lot to overcome if you come back for another year.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-27-2010, 10:59 PM
There is no logical reason to stay

Which is what makes me nervous

WCH
12-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I really hate when people say "His parents are loaded, so he doesn't need the money." I see that argument about somebody every year.

My parents money != my money. Most people don't just count on being able to leach off of their parents.

FUNBUNCHER
12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I really hate when people say "His parents are loaded, so he doesn't need the money." I see that argument about somebody every year.

My parents money != my money. Most people don't just count on being able to leach off of their parents.

LOLOL!!!

Luck's family may be financially secure, but his ass is BROKE!!!!

The NFL is calling, go get a job, son!!!!!

kalbears13
12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
I think Luck does what Harbaugh does and it doesn't look good for Luck staying...

That said, I think if Luck doesn't declare, even though there's only at most one more game to play for the other quarterback prospects, one will step up during workouts to become a top 5 prospect.

Babylon
12-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I think Luck does what Harbaugh does and it doesn't look good for Luck staying...

That said, I think if Luck doesn't declare, even though there's only at most one more game to play for the other quarterback prospects, one will step up during workouts to become a top 5 prospect.

History tells us you're correct and it may be more than one. My guess is Newton will have another good game against an overrated Oregon defense and Locker and Mallett should shine at the combine in a sterile environment.

kwilk103
12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Few things here.

1. He won't make 50 million at #1 overall, 95% chance there is a rookie cap before these rookies get paid.

2. He isn't hurting for money. His Dad played in the NFL, is the AD at WVU, that isn't an issue for him.

3. He can go back and get his degree whenever. I understand wanting to get it and be done, but a smart guy like him will be able to come back to Stanford when he is 25 or 35 or 65 and finish if he needs to.

also was an executive with nfl europe, and im pretty sure still has nfl contacts, and will get solid info on what andrew should do

Babylon
12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
isnt Luck losing 6 senior starters on offense?

thats a lot to overcome if you come back for another year.

I know he's losing 3/5ths of his offensive line and could be more if David DeCastro (og) declares. personally i'll be very surprised if he stays.

niel89
12-28-2010, 09:57 PM
I think its mainly based on Harbaugh. If he leaves, Luck is surely gone. Harbaugh stays and he would lean towards staying.

TheBoyWonder22
12-29-2010, 03:27 AM
I don't know if this is right, but can't Luck just enter the 2012 draft if he doesn't sign on next year? Ala what Michael Crabtree considered doing a couple years ago. Here are my thoughts on what he should do(granted irrelevant if the answer to the previous question is no).
If he's taken 1st overall, as most think he will be, he can holdout until the work stoppage is confirmed or denied. I'm sure he can stay in shape for a couple months and work with other players in preparation for the next draft.

If the PA and the league work things out, sign on and play for the Panthers or any other team he may want to play for(Eli Manning).

If stoppage takes place, he must decide on risking a rookie salary cap and essentially just being picked by the Panthers again only with an extremely deep player pool since the new prospects will also be placed into draft pool.

With that, I think it's a no-brainer. Come out, make the money. You're going to the same team regardless(unless someone decides to trade up), your coach will leave eventually. Overall, coming out seems to be the best decision, life won't just wait until he's spent time with his team and I hope those surrounding him don't hold him back with supposed sentimental values.

49ersFan_vienna
12-29-2010, 06:45 AM
Word in 49ers Land is that York wants Harbaugh as coach and searches an GM that fits.
My question is, do you think 49ers will go after luck ?
May luck even pull an Eli ?

It would be best situation if he could follow his coach.

What you think ?
1st,5th plus 2012 1st and 2012 3rd like Giants/Chargers did ?