PDA

View Full Version : How Many Blue Chip Prospects?

GloryDaysRBack
12-28-2010, 10:30 AM
How many blue chip prospects do you guys think are in this draft? Who are they? I know not everyone has declared yet but aside from Luck are there any blue chip prospects that are on the fence?

wicket
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
well if you talk about blue chip as in what scott rates as Elite, there are a few there.
1 Andrew Luck
2 AJ Green
3 Patrick Peterson
4 Prince Amukamara

id give all four an elite ranking.
guys just missing out include Fairley, Bowers, Blackmon

Babylon
12-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I think every draft has a dozen or so bluechippers, (we arent talking HOFs i take it).

Luck
Locker
Mallett
Green
Jones
Peterson
Amukamura
Bowers
Clayborn
Fairley
Kalil
Kerrigan

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
i would add Kenny Tate to that list too. He would be the best pure athlete in the draft. And thats saying alot since Peterson, A,J Green and Julio are in it too. He is in the new mode of Safties can shut down TE,s fast guys like Winslow 2, and Gonzalez, and he can go up for the jump ball with big wideouts like Aj Green, Julio , and Andre Johnson Calvin Johnson. Tate is a 5 tool player.

ThePudge
12-28-2010, 12:08 PM
The Top 9 prospects in this draft stand out to me. I wouldn't say I use a scale similar to Scott's elite status, but I've got 9 that separate themselves from the rest.

- QB Andrew Luck
- WR A.J. Green
- CB Patrick Peterson
- DE Da'Quan Bowers
- DT Nick Fairley
- QB Cameron Newton
- WR Julio Jones
- CB Prince Amukamara
- DE/LB Robert Quinn

Babylon
12-28-2010, 01:02 PM
The Top 9 prospects in this draft stand out to me. I wouldn't say I use a scale similar to Scott's elite status, but I've got 9 that separate themselves from the rest.

- QB Andrew Luck
- WR A.J. Green
- CB Patrick Peterson
- DE Da'Quan Bowers
- DT Nick Fairley
- QB Cameron Newton
- WR Julio Jones
- CB Prince Amukamara
- DE/LB Robert Quinn

I know you like Newton but you think scouts are going to grade him higher than Locker and Mallett after the whole evaluation process?

FUNBUNCHER
12-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Who are THE best prospects at each position???
QB-Luck
RB-Ingram
WR-AJ Green
TE-??
OT-??

I riffing off the top of my head, I'm sure someone else can compile a more complete list.

Babylon
12-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Who are THE best prospects at each position???
QB-Luck
RB-Ingram
WR-AJ Green
TE-?? Kyle Rudloph
OT-?? Matt Kalil

DE Clayborn
DT Fairley
OLB Quinn
LB M. Foster
S Peterson
C Amukamura
I riffing off the top of my head, I'm sure someone else can compile a more complete list.

just my take

Grizzlegom
12-28-2010, 01:30 PM
To me there are 6 'elite' prospects.

QB Andrew Luck
CB Prince Amukamara
DE Da'Quan Bowers
DT Nick Fairley
WR A.J. Green
CB Patrick Peterson

Bowers and Fairley just make the grade because I am a little scared about the whole one-year wonder thing but neither have a lot of the negatives that usually accompany guys like that.

keylime_5
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
To me there are 6 'elite' prospects.

QB Andrew Luck
CB Prince Amukamara
DE Da'Quan Bowers
DT Nick Fairley
WR A.J. Green
CB Patrick Peterson

Bowers and Fairley just make the grade because I am a little scared about the whole one-year wonder thing but neither have a lot of the negatives that usually accompany guys like that.

I think if you throw in Robert Quinn then you are on the money. Quinn has the most upside of any defensive player in this draft.

Grizzlegom
12-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Yea, I have Quinn as my next guy but that year off scares me enough to not have him at elite at this moment. Talk to me after he works out and then I'll let you know if he's regained that status haha

GloryDaysRBack
12-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I think if you throw in Robert Quinn then you are on the money. Quinn has the most upside of any defensive player in this draft.

I just read an article that indicated Quinn had sub 4.4 speed...this can't be true can it? Here is the link

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/425166-robert-quinn-the-monster-off-the-edge

keylime_5
12-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Honestly I like Quinn more than any defensive player this year. Fairley is going to be a beast, but he also has the potential to just be another Tommie Harris. His greatest strength is his first step quickness off the snap, but he might not be the greatest at the point of attack in the NFL like Suh is. Bowers reminds me of Vernon Gholston in some ways. He gets the sack totals and is unblockable at times, but he disappears during stretches, plus he's only been producing for a year now. I'm not knocking these guys, just being nitpicky, this is a great defensive draft class no question and these guys definitely are "elite" prospects. Quinn had the year off but has off the charts athleticism and had a great year in 2009, and when it's 3 or 4 years down the road from now Quinn's year off in 2010 will be irrelevant.

TheFinisher
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I just read an article that indicated Quinn had sub 4.4 speed...this can't be true can it? Here is the link

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/425166-robert-quinn-the-monster-off-the-edge

We'll find out soon enough, although I have a hard time believing it.

goodlookin
12-28-2010, 04:18 PM
I dont see ingram as elite at all...I dont know why there is such a fuss about him, Heisman is all well and good his O-line was very good and he just doesnt strike me as a CJ or AP type player at all. Id rather take a Mendenhall type player at the bottom of round 1 than ingram in top 15.

SenorGato
12-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Luck
Peterson
Quinn
Green

Those are the only guys right now that I doubt lose their status.

Guys who could get there:

Heyward
J. Jones
Fairley
Bowers
Ingram
Castonzo
Sherrod
Amukamara
Locker
Kerrigan

RaiderNation
12-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Too early to say the blue chips right now, but my top 5 probably looks like:

1 Andrew Luck QB
2 Da'Quan Bowers DE
3 Cam Newton QB
4 AJ Green WR
5 Patrick Peterson DB

Clarkw267
12-28-2010, 10:28 PM
I've got:

Luck
Peterson
Green
Quinn
Fairley

I think Bowers is a very good prospect and the numbers are great, but I don't see him as elite. I dunno..

As much as the Lions need secondary help, if Peterson is gone, and somehow Quinn falls into their lap, I would take him over Amukamara

RealityCheck
12-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Luck, Bowers, Green, Peterson and Quinn.

whatadai
12-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Honestly I like Quinn more than any defensive player this year. Fairley is going to be a beast, but he also has the potential to just be another Tommie Harris. His greatest strength is his first step quickness off the snap, but he might not be the greatest at the point of attack in the NFL like Suh is. Bowers reminds me of Vernon Gholston in some ways. He gets the sack totals and is unblockable at times, but he disappears during stretches, plus he's only been producing for a year now. I'm not knocking these guys, just being nitpicky, this is a great defensive draft class no question and these guys definitely are "elite" prospects. Quinn had the year off but has off the charts athleticism and had a great year in 2009, and when it's 3 or 4 years down the road from now Quinn's year off in 2010 will be irrelevant.

I don't know much about these DEs, but what you're saying doesn't make sense just from looking at stats. Bowers has only been producing for a year and thats a con while Quinn has only produced one year and that's a pro? From game logs it looks as if Quinn also disappears for stretches more than Bower does, but then again I don't have stats for quarterback hurries, TFL, etc. Just by looking at Quinn's size and stats, he seems more comparable to Vernon Gholston than Bowers does.

keylime_5
12-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Quinn has more upside than Bowers I think, he's a freaky athlete who some call the "next Julius Peppers" potentially, and he had an 11 sack 2009 season. He was more consistent in his one big season than Bowers was, and TFL, QB hurry, and QB sack stats don't tell the whole story. For Bowers it has been either unblockable or invisible, which is very similar to what Vernon Gholston did in his two seasons starting at OSU. Also Quinn isn't anything like Gholston, he's not as stiff and is a longer, leaner player. Gholston was very stiff with a huge, bulky, maxed out frame who's game was strength and power as opposed to pure speed and quickness like Quinn.

whatadai
12-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Quinn has more upside than Bowers I think, he's a freaky athlete who some call the "next Julius Peppers" potentially, and he had an 11 sack 2009 season. He was more consistent in his one big season than Bowers was, and TFL, QB hurry, and QB sack stats don't tell the whole story. For Bowers it has been either unblockable or invisible, which is very similar to what Vernon Gholston did in his two seasons starting at OSU. Also Quinn isn't anything like Gholston, he's not as stiff and is a longer, leaner player. Gholston was very stiff with a huge, bulky, maxed out frame who's game was strength and power as opposed to pure speed and quickness like Quinn.

Gholston wasn't a bulky maxed out frame. He was a tall and lanky frame that was suppose to be filled out in the NFL. Gholston's strength wasn't just power, he was touted to be quick along with powerful. Not stiff, long, and lean describes Gholston.

Oh and I'm not trying to antagonize you in any way. I'm looking for elite 4-3 DEs to draft in a fantasy league. My team is strong but DEs and DTs are always my weakness and I've never been successful with drafting them. Aaron Maybin, Connor Barwin, and Jeremy Jarmon have been my picks. I wouldn't have been any better off with the top DEs that were drafted before my pick such as Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey, or Everette Brown. I'm just playing devil's advocate to see who I should go with. 10th pick in a 10 team draft. I need someone across from Terrell Suggs and a DT between them.

http://www9.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/76282#0
I'm the Autobots.

Clarkw267
12-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Gholston wasn't a bulky maxed out frame. He was a tall and lanky frame that was suppose to be filled out in the NFL. Gholston's strength wasn't just power, he was touted to be quick along with powerful. Not stiff, long, and lean describes Gholston.

Oh and I'm not trying to antagonize you in any way. I'm looking for elite 4-3 DEs to draft in a fantasy league. My team is strong but DEs and DTs are always my weakness and I've never been successful with drafting them. Aaron Maybin, Connor Barwin, and Jeremy Jarmon have been my picks. I wouldn't have been any better off with the top DEs that were drafted before my pick such as Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey, or Everette Brown. I'm just playing devil's advocate to see who I should go with. 10th pick in a 10 team draft. I need someone across from Terrell Suggs and a DT between them.

http://www9.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/76282#0
I'm the Autobots.

Actually Gholston was completely bulky and maxed out at Ohio St. The other knock on him was that he had really stiff hips, so he would be a liability if asked to cover as a 3-4 OLB.

Legend234
12-28-2010, 11:57 PM
How can people put Amukamara and not Blackmon? People can try to make excuses, but lets be honest, Blackmon dominated Prince. I don't know if I have ever seen a corner get hyped like this guy.

Master Exploder
12-29-2010, 12:46 AM
I think..
QB: Andrew Luck
WR: A.J. Green
DE: Da'Quan Bowers
DT: Nick Fairley
CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Prince Amukamura

Honestly, I think it's fair to say that either one of these guys will have a shot at being picked 1st overall. I don't get why Nick Fairley isn't being talked about as much as the others, he's really great.

Caulibflower
12-29-2010, 01:30 AM
I dont see ingram as elite at all...I dont know why there is such a fuss about him, Heisman is all well and good his O-line was very good and he just doesnt strike me as a CJ or AP type player at all. Id rather take a Mendenhall type player at the bottom of round 1 than ingram in top 15.

Ingram is a Mendenhall-type player. Except Ingram is a better pass-catcher, and has elite balance. Mendenhall might have the edge in straight speed, but most serious drafniks know that's one of the most overrated aspects of a prospect's profile. If a team really likes Ingram, he could easily be picked in the top 15. I don't know if I'd consider him "elite," but he's certainly going to be considered by those teams.

ThePudge
12-29-2010, 01:38 AM
I know you like Newton but you think scouts are going to grade him higher than Locker and Mallett after the whole evaluation process?

There are no guarantees. I think Newton will test at a very high level. I can't pretend to really know for sure how Mallett/Newton in particular will do in the interview process and while getting to know front office personnel on visits. I think Locker will do well once the season ends, but I don't think his somewhat disappointing season will be erased from all memories. There will certainly be scouts that prefer Locker/Mallett to Newton, but in the end I think Cam projects as the higher pick on draft day. Some scouts that aren't yet sold just might be after they watch him work out.

whatadai
12-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Actually Gholston was completely bulky and maxed out at Ohio St. The other knock on him was that he had really stiff hips, so he would be a liability if asked to cover as a 3-4 OLB.

I remember he was ridiculously cut and lean which made him look bulky, but he wasn't bulky for his size and one of the negatives about him was that he needed to gain more weight to go against NFL linemen.

keylime_5
12-29-2010, 09:34 AM
I remember he was ridiculously cut and lean which made him look bulky, but he wasn't bulky for his size and one of the negatives about him was that he needed to gain more weight to go against NFL linemen.

put any more weight on this frame and it is bad weight:

http://menofthescarletandgray.com/wp-content/uploads/gholston-ysu.jpg

....keep in mind I wasn't comparing Bowers and Gholston as players except in their tendency to dominate and put up huge numbers in college, yet disappear for stretches.

Monomach
12-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Why do people keep reading Bleacher Report? I could make an account there and 30 seconds later there'd be an article saying that Jimmy Clausen is 9 feet tall, shoots lasers from his eyes, has a shark where his dick should be, eats the children of the unrighteous, and impregnated a polar bear to make an ungodly BearMan spawn that will one day rule over us all with an iron fist. It's a source for sports information in the way that Sarah Palin is a source for Jeopardy answers; just because it's there doesn't mean you should trust it.