PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Justin Houston?

midwestpatsfan
12-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi all,
First off, this is my first official thread here. I have trolled here for years and decided to get more involved. This site is great and thought I would pick the brains of all the others out there that share my passion for the draft.

Back to my original question. How do you feel about Justin Houston and more specifically for the Patriots at OLB in their 3-4 defense? Also, where does Houston project to be drafted if he comes out?

Thanks in advance!

Razor
12-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Houston is a great 3-4 OLB prospect, but at the moment he doesn't offer much more than his pass rushing abilities. That's fine for most teams, but I don't think it'll cut it with the Patriots. If he shows the ability to drop into coverage and if the coaching staff thinks he can set the edge I could definetly see him being our selection at some point in the first round. He has great upside has the size BB is looking for. But for the Pats to grab him there are a number of questions that needs to be answered...

EDIT:

Also, there's already a thread about Houston:
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43507&highlight=justin+houston

midwestpatsfan
12-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Razor,
Thanks for the other thread, I did a search of his name but did not see it, maybe I did something wrong. Glad to find a fellow Pats fan on here, will definitely look forward to seeing other posts by you and your thoughts on the pats draft.

Razor
12-28-2010, 02:54 PM
And make sure to check out the Patriot forum under team boards. We've got a great group of active posters here on SWDC and there's always room for more Pats fans!

Scott Wright
12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I need to take a more in-depth if Houston opts to come out but my I haven't been all that impressed with my cursory examination. Looked like more of a second or third rounder.

Razor
12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I need to take a more in-depth if Houston opts to come out but my I haven't been all that impressed with my cursory examination. Looked like more of a second or third rounder.

Why is that exactly? Is it because he is more of a one trick pony at this point?

Scott Wright
12-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Why is that exactly? Is it because he is more of a one trick pony at this point?

Exactly. I also thought he looked stiff and uncomfortable standing up and in space.

midwestpatsfan
12-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Scott or Razor,
I think most Patriots fans would agree that a pass rushing OLB is a big need for this team, but with the specific Height Weight Speed that Belichick looks for it is hard to find really any prospect who fit the bill and can both rush the passer and not be a big liability in the run. Who am I missing out there that has that potential at least.

A Perfect Score
12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Personally, I think he looks soft. Im not nearly as high on him as some people are. The Top 15 talk is ridiculous...Id take a ton of pass rushers over him in those slots. I wouldnt blink if he went late first though, thats about where I have him set at this point.

FUNBUNCHER
12-28-2010, 04:09 PM
The Black Clay MatthewsIII

thebow305
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Exactly. I also thought he looked stiff and uncomfortable standing up and in space.

Really? I thought he looked like he has solid lateral mobility in space, and while he may never be able to cover tight ends or slot men down the field, I think he would be just fine dropping back into zones from time to time. But I think he sets the edge fairly well and is explosive off the snap getting into the backfield. Scott I forget where but I think it was you who compared him to James Harrison and I definitely like that comparison a lot.

bored of education
12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
One of my favorite overall players in the draft. He is a player who can play 3-4 OLB without having to be someone who has to make that transition most 4-3 college DEs have to make. He is not really a liability in coverage but it is not his best attribute. The guy is a a beast off the edge and has a quick twitch. he reminds me of Tamba Hali, may not be the best against the run but is not a total liability at anything either.