PDA

View Full Version : The Centers

RaiderNation
12-28-2010, 05:26 PM
The opinions on this years Center class varies. It seems like C Stefen Wisniewsk is the clear cut #1 prospect and seems to get a late 1st/early 2nd grade. What are people opinions on C Kris O'Dowd? Some have him as a 2nd rounder, then other say not to touch him until the 4th. Is Mike Pouncey still being looked at or should we just keep him as a Guard now? Any underclassmen that need to be looked at? Ohio State Michael Brewster is looked at as maybe the top center next year but could he come out with the recent suspensions that have been handed out? Theres also the thought of maybe Florida State OG Rodney Hudson could be asked to play Center in the NFL because of his size. What round could he be drafted in?

I need some answers!!!!!

Abaddon
12-28-2010, 05:34 PM
If Pouncey is iffy as a collegiate center, I can't imagine much of a pro future there.

And count me among those looking at O'Dowd in the 4th round or later. Too many durability red flags for an earlier pick.

BeerBaron
12-28-2010, 05:59 PM
If he checks out healthy, O'Dowd definitely shouldn't fall out of the 2nd round. He has the potential to be a Mangold/Pouncey type of center if he stays healthy. I'd chance on him in the mid-late 2nd round if I needed help there, and I'd definitely take a shot in the 3rd round.

Wisniewski is being overrated a little I think. Good player, but I don't think he has the athleticism of some of the top centers of years past. I wouldn't take him in the first round unless it was at the very, very end of the round and some of my other options fell through.

Rodney Hudson is another to keep an eye on. If he really doesn't check in at only 6'2 280, I wouldn't touch him period except as a ZBS center. Athletic, sure, but I think he'd be dominated by bigger DTs in a traditional o-line. Certainly wouldn't want him at G....

ElectricEye
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
O'Dowd intrigues me. How do you guys rate him in terms of strength? The Patriots are looking to upgrade at center. Koppen is solid, but not spectacular and every 3-4 NT has their best game against him. That's a fairly large issue given that every team in the AFC East runs a 3-4 too...

keylime_5
12-28-2010, 07:45 PM
The only time I remember watching O'Dowd in the past 2 years is against Ohio State in the Shoe where he was dominated by Dexter Larimore for 4 quarters.

BeerBaron
12-28-2010, 08:06 PM
O'Dowd intrigues me. How do you guys rate him in terms of strength? The Patriots are looking to upgrade at center. Koppen is solid, but not spectacular and every 3-4 NT has their best game against him. That's a fairly large issue given that every team in the AFC East runs a 3-4 too...

And the Steelers, and the Ravens sort of, and the Chargers, and now the Chiefs too.....

Basically most of the AFC competitive teams run the 3-4 anymore.

ElectricEye
12-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah. It's an issue that has made Koppen extremely expendable.

critesy
12-28-2010, 08:47 PM
ryan pugh from auburn has started since he was a sophmore and started a game or 2 in his freshman year. 6-4 300. hes athletic and smart. better run blocker than pass blocker. could be a nice pick up in the 6th.

DiG
12-28-2010, 09:16 PM
tim barnes is quite undervalued right now. watch him on tv now.

regoob2
12-29-2010, 07:15 AM
I think Justin Boren the OG from Ohio State can move back to C.

TheBoyWonder22
12-29-2010, 07:22 AM
I bet Rodney Hudson from FSU could play some center if need be. Just a thought not saying he'd be a top pick at the position.

energizerbunny
12-31-2010, 09:19 PM
my big question about Hudson is why wasn't he moved to center earlier in his career?

Hudson is not the prospect his accolades will lead you to believe, and his lower body worries me, I don't care how good of a technician he is, he will be extremly limited at the next level when it comes to movement... even in the ZBS. I wouldn't touch him before 7th/UDFA

RaiderNation
12-31-2010, 09:34 PM
What about some of the mid round Centers? Any you guys think that you can find some starting potential in the 4th or 5th?

Duffman57
12-31-2010, 09:43 PM
One guy that people dont really talk about as a C is John Moffitt. He played alot of games as a spot starter at C durring his career at Wisconsin. He could easily make the transition to Center in the NFL if you wanted him to. He'd be the perfect fit for teams that run a power running game like the Chargers, Vikings or the Browns, (TBH i have NO clue who runs a power offense other than the Chargers...lol. These teams just look like they would run it)

JPP90
01-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Ryan Bartholomew-Syracuse. Guy is a monster.

Unbiased
01-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Since I didn't see his name mentioned yet, I like Chase Beeler from Stanford. Potential starter who apparently could be had late in the draft. I think he's a little light, though.

kennyb
01-01-2011, 01:49 PM
wht about ryan pugh-(gilist) from the auburn tigers

energizerbunny
01-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Keep an eye out for Wisconsin Center Peter Konz, he is only a sophmore but he will be a top prospect at center when he enters in the future.

JPP90
01-02-2011, 01:10 AM
In that case keep an eye on Mario Benavidez of Louisville because he is also a stud.

Grizzlegom
01-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Nobody has mentioned Brandon Fusco from Slippery Rock yet. Easily my favorite C in this draft not named Wisniewski. Fusco is probably the best D-II prospect in this draft. He's big, strong, athletic, he should be at the Senior Bowl I believe, can't wait to see how he handles himself against better competition. From my view, he has the kind of ability to vault himself into the 2nd/3rd round mix with a strong senior bowl.

TCU C Jake Kirkpatrick is another guy I like as a later round guy. He's got two years starting experience, won the Rimington this year, and has good size and strength. He's not overly athletic but he'll be good in a power blocking scheme. I've got him as a 5th rounder right now.

LSO
01-02-2011, 10:34 AM
The only time I remember watching O'Dowd in the past 2 years is against Ohio State in the Shoe where he was dominated by Dexter Larimore for 4 quarters.

If I remember correctly, USC's final drive had three or four "3rd/4th and short" and they ran behind O'Dowd every time ... and they made the first down every time on their way to the winning score.

Beyond that, O'Dowd came back (too early) from a knee injruy against Ohio State ... his lateral movement was horrible (and Latimore looked good as a result) ... anyway, O'Dowd is best combination of strength, size and speed at the center position in the draft ... with no injuries or missed games in 2010.

A Perfect Score
01-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Nobody has mentioned Brandon Fusco from Slippery Rock yet. Easily my favorite C in this draft not named Wisniewski. Fusco is probably the best D-II prospect in this draft. He's big, strong, athletic, he should be at the Senior Bowl I believe, can't wait to see how he handles himself against better competition. From my view, he has the kind of ability to vault himself into the 2nd/3rd round mix with a strong senior bowl.

TCU C Jake Kirkpatrick is another guy I like as a later round guy. He's got two years starting experience, won the Rimington this year, and has good size and strength. He's not overly athletic but he'll be good in a power blocking scheme. I've got him as a 5th rounder right now.

This is who I came in here to mention. I think Kirkpatrick can go higher then the fifth, definitely could end up in the fourth IMO. Not the most athletic guy around, but a tough blue collar guy who will be a starter for some team in the NFL.

Im also a big fan of O'Dowd, I think if he's healthy he's a second rounder easily.

LSO
01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

O'Dowd is very strong (especially upper body), but he needs to learn to "punch" (something not usually taught at the college level) to fend off the bull rush from larger NTs. In the end, O'Dowd is a very athletic, naturally 300+ pounder (I think he lies about being lighter than he really is) and should be able to handle the big NTs while still having the speed and agility to pull and get to the second level.

Clarkw267
01-02-2011, 10:59 AM
O'Dowd is very strong (especially upper body), but he needs to learn to "punch" (something not usually taught at the college level) to fend off the bull rush from larger NTs. In the end, O'Dowd is a very athletic, naturally 300+ pounder (I think he lies about being lighter than he really is) and should be able to handle the big NTs while still having the speed and agility to pull and get to the second level.

I didn't know O'Dowd went to D3 program in Maine....

Come on now. The linemen at SC and everywhere else across the FBS are taught how to "punch".

LSO
01-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I didn't know O'Dowd went to D3 program in Maine....

Come on now. The linemen at SC and everywhere else across the FBS are taught how to "punch".

That's a fair observation, and my comment was too general. USC and other FBS teams do teach a "punch", but more often than not, poor/ general hand palcement. The result looks more like "catching" the DTs than punching them. At the next level, NFL DTs will bull rush O'Dowd, Pouncey, Wisneiski, etc., effectively unless they learn hand placement in their punches.

contento
01-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Ben Lamaak

P-L
01-14-2011, 05:44 PM
A guy a really like, and has only been mentioned once in this thread, is Tim Barnes of Missouri. I think he could end up being a 4th round pick.

D-Unit
01-14-2011, 05:53 PM
The Cowboys will draft:

Brandon Fusco (6-5 305), Slippery Rock
DII Lineman of the Year

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201007/fusco.1_500.jpg

BeerBaron
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Fusco is the first draft prospect I ever got to watch in person when they played my Alma Mater Clarion. Clarion sucks badly, so it wasn't the best showcase of his skills, but Fusco was dominant. Easily the biggest guy on the field...he had his way with any defender he got his mitts on.

If we don't address center sooner, I wouldn't mind him in the 5th round. Let him sit and develop for a year while he acclimates to the higher level of play.

nobodyinparticular
01-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Sounds like the center version of Jared Veldheer.

regoob2
01-14-2011, 06:52 PM
The Cowboys will draft:

Brandon Fusco (6-5 305), Slippery Rock
DII Lineman of the Year

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201007/fusco.1_500.jpg
I know its just a picture but I like the low center of gravity he plays with. Is he on his tippy toes. haha

Chidi29
01-14-2011, 07:20 PM
I like O'Dowd but the durability issues are going to drop him. Plus, he really struggles in getting to and engaging at the second level. I don't know if I've seen him get to a linebacker and get a good block on him in the two games I watched him. He'll have to work in a phone booth.

I only watched Fusco once and probably didn't get the best look at him, but he didn't look like anything dominant to me. He looks like he has short arms for a 6'5 frame, too.