PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 DEs

whatadai
12-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Any good 4-3 DEs coming out that will most likely be a DE in a 4-3 and not a LB in a 3-4? Guys that will actually produce like Chris Long, Charles Johnson, Matt Shaugnessy, Carlos Dunlap, etc. even if it takes 3-4 years.

There haven't been many dominant 4-3 DEs in the past 4 drafts...a lot of busts like Derrick Harvey and Everette Brown though.

wicket
12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
bowers is a pure 43 DEnd, quinn fits best at 43 DEnd imho and there are a bunch of guys like kerrigan who can play both 43 DEnd and 34 olb

RaiderNation
12-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Bowers seems like a lock to be a 4-3 DE and a top 10 pick. Adrian Clayborn is another example who looks to be a top 25 pick. JJ Watt's best position IMO is as a DE in the 4-3 and maybe he rises

BeerBaron
12-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Adrian Clayborn is certainly one.

I also think that Ryan Kerrigan's best fit would be as a 4-3 DE. Would he be a bad 3-4 OLB? No...but it's not his best fit I don't think.

whatadai
12-28-2010, 05:59 PM
How would you rank these guys as prospects to the top 4-3 DE prospects in the past 3 to 4 drafts? Like Derrick Harvey, Everette Brown, Chris Long, etc.?

BeerBaron
12-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Ehh, I wasn't big on Derrick Harvey, or Jarvis Moss for that matter. Lanky "athletic" DEs in the 4-3 tend to struggle a bit. So I had them rated lower that others I think and so far, they haven't disproved me.

I had Everette rated as a late first rounder, so he slipped a bit, but I thought he could be like a poor man's Dwight Freeney. The jury is still out on him for now.

So if I were including this year's 4-3 DE prospects, I think I'd rank them like:

1.) Chris Long
2.) DaQuan Bowers
3.) Adrian Clayborn
4.) Ryan Kerrigan
5.) Everette Brown
6.) Derrick Harvey (like I said, I just wasn't a fan...)

whatadai
12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Ehh, I wasn't big on Derrick Harvey, or Jarvis Moss for that matter. Lanky "athletic" DEs in the 4-3 tend to struggle a bit. So I had them rated lower that others I think and so far, they haven't disproved me.

I had Everette rated as a late first rounder, so he slipped a bit, but I thought he could be like a poor man's Dwight Freeney. The jury is still out on him for now.

So if I were including this year's 4-3 DE prospects, I think I'd rank them like:

1.) Chris Long
2.) DaQuan Bowers
3.) Adrian Clayborn
4.) Ryan Kerrigan
5.) Everette Brown
6.) Derrick Harvey (like I said, I just wasn't a fan...)

What did you think of Carlos Dunlap as a prospect? Isn't he a bit lanky for his size too?

I find DE to be one of the most difficult to gauge and predict and haven't been successful at it at all. At least not in the past 3 to 4 years.

BeerBaron
12-28-2010, 06:19 PM
What did you think of Carlos Dunlap as a prospect? Isn't he a bit lanky for his size too?

I find DE to be one of the most difficult to gauge and predict and haven't been successful at it at all. At least not in the past 3 to 4 years.

Dunlap was about 280 coming out iirc....a good deal heavier than Harvey or Moss at the same time.

I wasn't too big of fan of his due to his questionable motor. A non-stop motor is something I want in all of my defensive players. Physically, he had the whole package and has been showing flashes of it in Cincy. If he had a consistent motor, he would have been a sure fire top 15 pick with his measureables.

whatadai
12-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Dunlap was about 280 coming out iirc....a good deal heavier than Harvey or Moss at the same time.

I wasn't too big of fan of his due to his questionable motor. A non-stop motor is something I want in all of my defensive players. Physically, he had the whole package and has been showing flashes of it in Cincy. If he had a consistent motor, he would have been a sure fire top 15 pick with his measureables.

How about Kerrigan? Do you think he'll be too lanky to succeed as a 4-3 DE? If he bulked up to 280, if he really is 6'4", would he still be successful as a 4-3 DE?

DBNYDP
12-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Allen Bailey
Kind of like JPP in terms of being a project and amazing raw talent.

BeerBaron
12-28-2010, 06:34 PM
How about Kerrigan? Do you think he'll be too lanky to succeed as a 4-3 DE? If he bulked up to 280, if he really is 6'4", would he still be successful as a 4-3 DE?

Kerrigan isn't exactly what Id' call lanky. I called Harvey (6'5 255 iirc around draft time) and Moss (6'7 252 now, don't remember what he was at draft time) lanky because I feel they were tall without the bulk behind it.

Kerrigan at 6'4 263 (listed) has a little bit better bulk, and you can see it with the eye test as well. He plays sound and strong.