PDA

View Full Version : First Rounder with Highest Bust Potential

no bare feet
12-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Da'Quan Bowers.

There's no way he doesn't turn into a Julius Peppers type of player in the NFL.

Da'Quan Bowers. Thoughts?

Morton
12-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Have you watched him play?

He's easily one of the best two-three DE prospects of the past five years.

jrdrylie
12-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't say "there is no way he doesn't turn into Julius Peppers." That would be crazy. No prospect is a sure things. But Bowers is not even close to having the highest bust potential in the first round. Robert Quinn is higher at the same position. Mallet, Newton (character concerns), and Jake Locker at QB all have higher potential. Justin Blackmon, Nate Solder, Allen Bailey, and Aaron Williams all have much higher bust potential than Bowers. In fact, I'd say Bowers is one of the closest prospects to being can't miss.

Shane P. Hallam
12-30-2010, 11:07 AM

From 07 on, you may be right. I'm unsure if Bowers is dynamic though. He's very good and will be solid, but he won't be a dynamic rack up the stats type of player.

thegreatone
12-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Hes only had 1 great year, so I wouldn't go that far.

DiG
12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
my ranking of bust factored first round prospects:

1. Michael Floyd
2. Jon Baldwin
3. Cam Newton
4. Julio Jones
5. Ryan Mallett / Jake Locker
6. Nate Solder

Not to say I dont like some of these prospects because I do actually like quite a few of them but the risk is definitely there with some of these guys more than others.

DBNYDP
12-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Cam Newton

Monomach
12-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Cam Newton

Yes. This.

Cigaro
12-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I can't see Bowers being a bust. He's too athletically gifted combined with too great a work ethic to bust out. Now he may not live up to his draft position, but I think he will at the least be a solid player.

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Bowers does need to gain more consistency with his motor. Like I said in some other thread he is kinda like Vernon Gholston in that sense, plus he didn't do much during his freshman and sophomore years before having a monster junior year. I can see why you'd say Bowers.

But it's gotta be Cam Newton, no brainer. Either him or Mallett. I won't say Locker because I don't think he'll go in the first round.

Morton
12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Bowers does need to gain more consistency with his motor. Like I said in some other thread he is kinda like Vernon Gholston in that sense, plus he didn't do much during his freshman and sophomore years before having a monster junior year. I can see why you'd say Bowers.

But it's gotta be Cam Newton, no brainer. Either him or Mallett. I won't say Locker because I don't think he'll go in the first round.

If I had to choose which has the highest bust potential: Mallet over Newton easily.

I heard the guy speak on TV recently and that alone would give me nightmares about giving him first round money if I were an NFL GM.

HawkeyeFan
12-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Big BOOM or BUST is Adrian Clayborn.

GloryDaysRBack
12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Where do you guys rate Quinn's bust potential? High, medium, low?

A Perfect Score
12-30-2010, 12:28 PM

I think bowers has a higher bust potential then clayborn. Remember bowers has had exactly one dominant season and I do question his ability to be consistent in the pros. I think at the worst clayborn is a very solid de

wonderbredd24
12-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Cam Newton, Julio Jones and Robert Quinn

jrdrylie
12-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Where do you guys rate Quinn's bust potential? High, medium, low?

Much higher than Bowers. Both had one dominant season (with Bowers being a bit better) but lets not forget that Quinn hasn't played this season. He could be rusty. Quinn has a higher ceiling but his floor is also much lower.

HawkeyeFan
12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I think bowers has a higher bust potential then clayborn. Remember bowers has had exactly one dominant season and I do question his ability to be consistent in the pros. I think at the worst clayborn is a very solid de
Have you watched Clayborn this year? He's been doubled/tripled/chipped and what not, but he seems to be getting lazy. And that's not good.

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 12:57 PM
I would love to see Clayborn in a 1 gap, 3 man front. I think he has a really high floor of success, a pretty safe bet to be a really solid starting DE at worst. Not exactly a boom or bust.

descendency
12-30-2010, 12:58 PM

I've watched him a lot this year and don't see what's so great about him. I'm also largely scared he will do the same thing Russell did when he signed his contract... nothing.

edit: Both him and Von Miller are 1 trick pass rushers = failures in the NFL. (miller is a speed rusher, bowers uses his bull rush)

wonderbredd24
12-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Von Miller is definitely not a one trick pony as a pass rusher.

descendency
12-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Which is why his counter moves are anemic and his bull rush is weak.

SickwithIt1010
12-30-2010, 01:06 PM

I think that Bowers is a lot like Albert Haynesworth in the sense that he may be a money player....in a year in which he can make a bunch of money he plays his ass off and plays like the dominant player that he is and in years like his freshman and sophomore season hes kind of invisible.

CameronCropper
12-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Cam Newton.

Highest bust potential, highest boom potential. If he can be half as dominant as he's been at Auburn in the NFL he's going to be something special, but the warning flags are there for Newton.

I want to see the kid succeed at the next level but I'm skeptical.

JPP90
12-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Without a doubt Cam Newton. Think about it, you're taking a guy probably in the top 15 with major mechanical/pocket issues to work on from a zone-read offense, with character questions and with 1 year of noteworthy collegiate expeirence. Major, major risk involved but someone will bite.

BeerBaron
12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Newton
Newton
Newton
Newton

and some more Newton.

As some have said, his boom potential is ridiculous....guys that big who move that fast and who can throw the ball even decently don't come along all that often. A patient, creative coach might be able to turn him into a unique, elite player.

But he could also fail on a JaMarcus Russell level in a bad situation...or even in a good situation if he doesn't work hard and keep his nose clean.

Some of the WRs also scare me....Julio Jones could simply waste his talent by not working hard and being a diva. Michael Floyd could fail to stay healthy. Torrey Smith could become DHB 2.0....all guys who could go in the first and who could fail miserably.

mario
12-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Julio Jones could simply waste his talent by not working hard and being a diva.
Julio Jones is by far the most quiet guy out of the Top WR bunch. He is (or was) the delegate of his class and never said a bad word on & off the field. IDK where do you get those comments about Jones being a diva or a lazy player...

TACKLE
12-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Have you watched Clayborn this year? He's been doubled/tripled/chipped and what not, but he seems to be getting lazy. And that's not good.

I was just gonna say that Hawkeye. Clayborn has had exactly one dominant season as well. At least Bowers production as increased every year whereas Clayborn seemed to be suffering from some senioritis this season.

Which is why his counter moves are anemic and his bull rush is weak.

I'm going to have to agree with the latter here. I love Miller's explosiveness but he has no pass rush moves other than a speed rush and no counters which is a must have for a speed rusher. I know most see him as a 3-4 OLB but I just don't think he will be effective enough as a pass rusher in the NFL and won't be able to set the edge in the run game. But....I love him as a WLB in a 4-3, especially on a team that blitzes a lot. Let him use his speed and explosiveness to fly sideline to sideline making plays. Also he would be a dangerous blitzer matched up against RB's. Oddly enough, as a 3-4 OLB I have a lot of questions but in a 4-3 I think he could turn out to be a stud.

BeerBaron
12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Julio Jones is by far the most quiet guy out of the Top WR bunch. He is (or was) the delegate of his class and never said a bad word on & off the field. IDK where do you get those comments about Jones being a diva or a lazy player...

By watching him play. I guess Diva isn't the right word, but it gets used for most WRs who fit this description...

I've seen him simply play lazy too many times. Maybe that'll change when he hits the pros and any sense of entitlement as a top recruit is gone, but maybe not either....

Pat Sims 90
12-30-2010, 03:02 PM
I would say Bowers just because most of his sacks came against 3 teams this year and he dissappears alot during games. He will need a coach to light his ass on fire to get him going. Kinda like what Lewis and Zimmer did with Dunlap this year.

wicket
12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Newton, easily. QBs are the most bust prone anyway and Newton is about as boom or bust as they come at QB. The only thing he really has going for him with regards of being a bit of a certainty is his experience as a pro.

:youknowIhadto:

Matthew Jones
12-30-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't know what's causing all of this hate for Julio Jones. Here are some guys I see as having high bust potential:

QB Cam Newton, Auburn (mechanics/system)
WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh (character/polish)
DE Allen Bailey, Miami (FL) (consistency/polish)
DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa (character/consistency)
DE Robert Quinn, North Carolina (character/year off)
DE Aldon Smith, Missouri (polish)
LB Akeem Ayers, UCLA (physicality/strength)
LB Justin Houston, Georgia (one-dimensional)
LB Von Miller, Texas A&M (one-dimensional)
CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida (intelligence)

RealityCheck
12-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Cameron Newton, no doubt about it. Let's say 99% bust, 1% boom.

SenorGato
12-30-2010, 04:03 PM

+1

I maintain that Christian Ballard is the better of the two.

That said, Allen Bailey is my pick.

Matthew Jones
12-30-2010, 04:03 PM
I would say Bowers just because most of his sacks came against 3 teams this year and he dissappears alot during games. He will need a coach to light his ass on fire to get him going. Kinda like what Lewis and Zimmer did with Dunlap this year.

I'd say he gets to quarterbacks pretty consistently - only two games this year where he didn't record a sack.

TACKLE
12-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Cameron Newton, no doubt about it. Let's say 99% bust, 1% boom.

Nothing should instill more confidence in Cam Newton than this statement.

RaiderNation
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
I can see Ryan Mallett either being a Carson Palmer in him prime type guy, or a Derek Anderson type QB.

Another guy Im not buying the hype is AJ Green. Dont get me wrong, I think he is a very good WR prospect, but I dont see a elite WR in the NFL. The Randy Moss type comparisions is too much for him

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Green will definitely be an elite WR. Another Randy Moss? That is kinda hard to be as good as Moss. Not many guys who were as good as him. But he can easily be in the Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Calvin Johnson, Terrell Owens echelon of WRs.

umphrey
12-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Cameron Newton

/thread

RaiderNation
12-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Green will definitely be an elite WR. Another Randy Moss? That is kinda hard to be as good as Moss. Not many guys who were as good as him. But he can easily be in the Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Calvin Johnson, Terrell Owens echelon of WRs.

I agree to somewhat to a Roddy White type potential for him, but I cant see him as a guy who will dominate. if he ends up with a good QB he will look good, he wont make a QB look good on his own

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I think it's safe to say Roddy White dominates. He's the best WR in the NFL right now.

umphrey
12-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Well I think it's safe to say Roddy White dominates. He's the best WR in the NFL right now.
Nah. Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald are all better. He's lumped in with Calvin Johnson, Miles Austin, DeSean Jackson, Hakeem Nicks but probably at the top of that pile. He was statistically dominant and dominant on field at times but when AJ is healthy he's better. If Marshall had a quarterback he'd be more productive. Same with Larry.