PDA

View Full Version : List of GM's Who Pick by Need or BPA

whokevjones
12-30-2010, 09:58 PM
What style do the GM's of your team draft BPA or need. Also what specific type defensive scheme do they run and please add if they are considering changing or have a hybrid D

Detroit Lions

Martin Mayhew: History has shown he will draft BPA but with the amount of holes we've had in the past 2 drafts that wasn't too hard. But I think he will continue that trend.

Defense:4-3 Base

Rarely blitz and not a aggressive defense overall.
Place a major emphasis on speed with their CB's.
Safeties provide a lot of supprt for the run (although that might be because of Lber's suck.
Lber's I think they will look for one speed LB and another LB that excells in coverage. (Herzlich please)

keylime_5
12-30-2010, 10:03 PM
for mock drafts and whatnot I assume....

Cleveland Browns
Tom Heckert: BPA guy. Keep in mind Mike Holmgren is holding his chain.

Browns currently run a 2-gap 3-4 defense, but our coaching staff's fate for 2011 is up in the air, they might be back, they might be fired. Currently though we use big, 2 gap DEs who can take on double teams and occupy blockers. We like big, strong linebackers who are stout vs the run and can blitz (at least 6'4 usually and 250+ lbs.). Love cornerbacks who are physical and can tackle well. Emphasis on very SMART players who are very hardworking and selfless team players, not diva me-first players. Mangini has shown that he will sacrifice pure athleticism for guys who are less athletic but more technically sound, solid football players with brains who make very few mental mistakes.

JPP90
12-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Jerry Reese goes BPA, ubfortunately. JPP has a bright future but man...Devin McCourty would have been nice.

San Diego Chicken
12-31-2010, 04:22 AM
A.J. Smith is stubborn and only chases players that he likes. If he likes a player he takes them, it doesn't matter what his value on a draft board is and it doesn't matter what the depth chart looks like. Usually this means less success in the early rounds but better success in the late rounds or after.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Marty Hurney is a BPA guy but not to a fault. He will target positions based on team need though he will only take players at those positions if they are good value. Well, at least according to him. I'm not sure I would call Armanti Edwards for the #33 overall pick in the 2011 draft good value

Hopefully he will not the Panthers GM come the next draft but it's looking very likely that he will be retained

mario
12-31-2010, 04:43 AM
Carolina Panthers

Marty Hurney: Best player avalaible, especially in mid-to-late rounds. He's really bad negotiating contracts and trades, but has done a good job with draft picks (although i think this has more to do with college scouting director Don Gregory).

4-3 Defense (DC: Ron Meeks)

Tampa 2 as base defense system.
Bend but no break defense. Rarely blitz.
Cornerbacks MUST know how to play the run.

Although it seems Hurney is gonna stay here, Meeks could go with Fox.

Pat Sims 90
12-31-2010, 05:47 AM
The Bengals dont have a GM so that cant be put on this list. The name title should also include owners who are too cheap to pay a GM.

Bengals78
12-31-2010, 05:52 AM
The Bengals dont have a GM so that cant be put on this list. The name title should also include owners who are too cheap to pay a GM.

He isn't too cheap. He is just delusional and thinks he is his dad.

Pat Sims 90
12-31-2010, 05:53 AM
He isn't too cheap. He is just delusional and thinks he is his dad.

No he is too cheap. We are the only team in the NFL that is old enough to have a throwback jersey and we dont because Mike Brown is too cheap to pay for throwback jerseys

Bengals78
12-31-2010, 05:57 AM
No he is too cheap. We are the only team in the NFL that is old enough to have a throwback jersey and we dont because Mike Brown is too cheap to pay for throwback jerseys

Or we dont want to look like the Browns?
Or just stupid like MOST of the throwbacks.

Our throwbacks are just Browns unis in black instead of brown and Bengals across the helmet. Whoopdy friggin doo.

He doesn't think he needs a GM. He honestly just thinks he is his father and knows football inside and out. He doesnt

Pat Sims 90
12-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Or we dont want to look like the Browns?
Or just stupid like MOST of the throwbacks.

Our throwbacks are just Browns unis in black instead of brown and Bengals across the helmet. Whoopdy friggin doo.

He doesn't think he needs a GM. He honestly just thinks he is his father and knows football inside and out. He doesnt

Does not matter if he is cheap or trying to be like his father. He sucks period.

Bengals78
12-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Does not matter if he is cheap or trying to be like his father. He sucks period.

that we agree on

DBNYDP
12-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Xanders/Elway

We have no clue.

keylime_5
12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
the Bengals throwbacks from the 80s/90s are way better than their current unis, but that's a discussion for another time. Brown is a total cheapass though, just look at the fact that he basically will never fire Marvin Lewis after all these years of not getting it done.

Unbiased
12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Gene Smith for the Jags is a BPA guy. He has admitted, though, that Tiquan Underwood (7th rd in '09) and Scotty McGee and Deji Karim (6th rd picks in '10) were selected slightly ahead of some other guys because of Underwood's speed and McGee and Karim's ST ability.

So BPA early and need at the end of the draft. The tough part is we don't ever know what his board looks like. He definitely believes in getting big guys early and skill positions later.

Matthew Jones
12-31-2010, 11:13 AM
New England Patriots

- Draft best player available over need
- Strong emphasis on locker room chemistry
- Avoid anyone who doesn’t fit into the system
- Size, intelligence, work ethic, versatility, and special teams ability are key aspects
- Look for team captains and seniors most often
- Trade down often and trade out into next year often

Giantsfan1080
12-31-2010, 11:14 AM
New England Patriots

- Draft best player available over need
- Strong emphasis on locker room chemistry
- Avoid anyone who doesn’t fit into the system
- Size, intelligence, work ethic, versatility, and special teams ability are key aspects
- Look for team captains and seniors most often
- Trade down often and trade out into next year often

You forgot look for Florida players ahead of other schools.

On edit: I take that back since Urban is leaving.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-31-2010, 11:32 AM
I thought the Patriots used a cloud system?

And anyway, I didnt talk about Meeks because it's very unlikely he is retained. I'm not sure I see him following Fox either. Fox isn't a Cover2 guy and he had to step in for Meeks last year because Meeks has communication issues. That was a very good post summarizing the Panthers current set up, however

PhinsRock
12-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Miami:

Jeff Ireland does a good job taking the highest player on the board that fills a need. He doesn't reach for a need, but doesn't go with a guy just because he's a steal.

I know that doesn't help anybody's drafts, but, in short he tends to stay near needs. That said this April you're looking at RB, QB, TE and possibly O-line depending on Free Agency.

Halsey
12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't think teams ever just pick BPA. Would a team like the Patriots or Colts pick a QB in the first round just because they thought he was 'BPA'. I think teams look for the best players who fit needs, while taking factors like character and durability in account.

JohnCandy
12-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Jerry Angelo picks the best, undersized, injured knee, small school player available.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/george-ofman-thats-all-she-wrote/JERRY%20ANGELO.jpg

Malaka
12-31-2010, 01:43 PM
You forgot look for Florida players ahead of other schools.

On edit: I take that back since Urban is leaving.

Well that will hold true at least just for this year lol.

RealityCheck
12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
The Patriots think they're Chuck Norris and don't have needs so they always go BPA.

DBNYDP
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
The Patriots think they're Chuck Norris and don't have needs so they always go BPA.
Looks like it works <.<
Too bad it didn't work for McDaniels.
Oh well..

coordinator0
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Ozzie Newsome, Baltimore Ravens

Ozzie pretty much goes the "BPA" route, but the "BPA" is usually somewhat of a need as well. Seniors seem to be overwhelmingly favored by Ozzie and the scouting/drafting department as we've only taken about 7 underclassmen in the past 10 years.

Defensive scheme fit doesn't seem to be too big of a concern for Ozzie, but since we run a hybrid defense it's kind of hard to be picky. I will say that we do have a prototypical corner - usually a smaller guy that's quick with good feet and change of direction skills.

Duffman57
12-31-2010, 04:43 PM
A.J. Smith is stubborn and only chases players that he likes. If he likes a player he takes them, it doesn't matter what his value on a draft board is and it doesn't matter what the depth chart looks like. Usually this means less success in the early rounds but better success in the late rounds or after.

Pretty much this. The one thing he does do as well, is goes after the weakest link on the team that previous year. For example, last year, we had the 31st ranked rush O, so he went and got a RB, the year before, we had no pass rush, so he went and got an OLB in English etc etc. He does get "tunnel Vision" on alot of prospects, which as he says, can lead to bad 1st round choices, but good later round success.

thefridge15
12-31-2010, 05:27 PM
GM: Rick Spielman
- often drafting for need, trading into the positions that allow for need picks
- will draft BPA for elite prospects (who doesnt)
- doesnt get stuck on character concerns
- late round picks are very poor

4-3 Defensive Scheme
- Cover 2 or "Tampa 2"
- safeties expected to flow over top in coverage, play centerfield (often dont)
- may draft defensive tackle to replace Pat Williams as NT of future, not neccesarily for depth though
- emphasis on CB's stopping the run
- dont often blitz, must create pressure with front 4

ellsy82
12-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Ozzie Newsome, Baltimore Ravens

Ozzie pretty much goes the "BPA" route, but the "BPA" is usually somewhat of a need as well. Seniors seem to be overwhelmingly favored by Ozzie and the scouting/drafting department as we've only taken about 7 underclassmen in the past 10 years.

Defensive scheme fit doesn't seem to be too big of a concern for Ozzie, but since we run a hybrid defense it's kind of hard to be picky. I will say that we do have a prototypical corner - usually a smaller guy that's quick with good feet and change of direction skills.

Kevin Colbert, Pittsburgh

Colbert usually goes the same route. Though, more of a "BPA" guy, he recognizes that positions of need change every season, so if you see a guy on your radar you covet, regardless of position, he'll usually pull the trigger (i.e. Mendenhall w/ Parker the entrenched starter, Sweed w/ Ward, Washington, and Holmes, Timmons w/ Farrior & Foote as starters, Worilds and Gibson w/ Harrison and Woodley as starters).

The downside is, you let other positions deteriorate over time (Defensive end has no starters under the age of 32, offensive line is a hodgepodge of useless slobs save the rookie Pouncey). With the Pouncey pick, I hope he matches more BPA with need, but his success in the draft, especially the first rounds is nearly unmatched.