PDA

View Full Version : Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

shylo3716
12-31-2010, 02:58 PM
With his performance thus far in the Bowl Game he is showing everyone he should not be forgotten. Floyd is abusing Miami's DBs.

Will he be a first rounder off of this game, where does he rank now?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5_sRMudZkj8/Syj2IK5eefI/AAAAAAAABLE/cxLPjPRVNVc/s640/nd3.jpg

no bare feet
12-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Floyd is abusing Miami's DBs.

you made your own point.
Still a late 1st rounder.

Scott Wright
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Probably more of a second rounder with a shot at sneaking into round one.

Floyd is better than Jon Baldwin, in my opinion.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Baldwin trashing his program while declaring is a red flag imo. Yea teams deal with diva WRs because thats just the way most are but I think if you look at the teams that are actually successful having a great QB with average to good WRs he trusts to run the right routes >>> having a good QB with a "great" WR who is flaky

ElectricEye
12-31-2010, 03:19 PM

Baldwin is a better talent in my opinion, but the stuff out there about him personally combined with how he sort of just mailed it in this year is defiantly not attractive.

Floyd looks good today. Really, really don't like that he dropped that touchdown pass for going for the one handed catch.

DBNYDP
12-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Floyd isn't going to push Green. But he can definitely compete for #2 with Jones/Blackmoon. His injuries might hold him to the #3/#4 receiver in this draft, but he really is exceptional.

shylo3716
12-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Baldwin trashing his program while declaring is a red flag imo. Yea teams deal with diva WRs because thats just the way most are but I think if you look at the teams that are actually successful having a great QB with average to good WRs he trusts to run the right routes >>> having a good QB with a "great" WR who is flaky

If I was Pitt Head Coach I would not play him next year just to sabotage his draft stock for his comments.

A Perfect Score
12-31-2010, 03:28 PM

Hooray, Ive been saying that since before the season. HOORAY!

Floyd is gunna be an absolute steal for someone at the end of the first.

Scott Wright
12-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Baldwin may be bigger and faster, Floyd is a better football player.

Thecollegedropout
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Seen all of Floyd's games as an Irish fan and he strikes me exactly like Dwayne Bowe. Had those mental lapses like a drop or a fumble but is such a big target and such a mismatch in the endzone that he could put forth a 12-15 TD season with no real struggle. Been a huge fan of his since Freshman year.

Baldwin reminds me of Braylon Edwards....he is another guy who is fast, tall but goes way too invisible for my liking like Edwards does. Invisible so much that he is such a threat that he should be a gamebreaker but doesn't make big plays all of the time. Baldwin isn't also the most sure fire catching WR too when I have seen him. I do agree with Baldwin that the QB play sabotaged him throughout his collegiate career though the way he handled this was poor. Also Floyd has worked with a freshman QB this year in Rees and hasn't slowed down so no excuses.

Greene
J. Jones
Blackmon
Floyd
Baldwin

would be my top 5. A team like ATL or (Ugh) NE will get a very nice player towards that 25-30 range pick.

Scott Wright
12-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Story of Floyd's career. Was dominant then didn't finish the game due to injury.

Durability is what keeps him out of Round 1.

RaiderNation
12-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Top 25 prospect, that will get drafted probably in the late 1st early 2nd

ElectricEye
12-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Story of Floyd's career. Was dominant then didn't finish the game due to injury.

Durability is what keeps him out of Round 1.

Yup, that's the issue. Was the best player on the field today but couldn't stay on it in the end.

Nalej
12-31-2010, 05:38 PM
He'll be a steal in the 2nd. Stud!

FUNBUNCHER
12-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Can we talk about Floyd without bringing Baldwin into the discussion??

If Floyd is 'great', it's all about his play on the field, his greatness isn't dependent on comparisons to Baldwin.

I was going to go on a rant about Baldwin, but this is a thread about Floyd and this isn't the place to defend him.

Scott Wright
12-31-2010, 06:19 PM
I think a Baldwin mention is relevant to the situation because those two guys are going to be battling for position on Draft Day. Liking one guy doesn't mean the other isn't a good player.

keylime_5
12-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Only knock on him is his injuries. If he never got hurt throughout his career he'd be a top 15 pick. I can't put my finger on who he reminds me of in that regard but it's someone, and I think he'll be a total stud when he's actually on the field in the NFL. I think Baldwin gets drafted first, especially if he has a really good workout like some have rumored. Baldwin was an academic all-conference selection too, something people don't realize b/c of his unadvised tweeting and whatnot.

wicket
12-31-2010, 06:21 PM
I think a Baldwin mention is relevant to the situation because those two guys are going to be battling for position on Draft Day. Liking one guy doesn't mean the other isn't a good player.

Scott, If you were advising Floyd, would you be advising Floyd to stay or to go pro. Keep in mind that his parents and family is not rich or poor so he has noone really to help by going pro but its not like his family could not use the money.

FUNBUNCHER
12-31-2010, 06:23 PM

Honestly, I wasn't talking about you Scott.

But when you pegged Floyd as a better player than Baldwin, I felt like there was a whole lot of piling on after the fact.

IMO your analysis of a player always is more objective than the rest of us, generally speaking.

Giantsfan1080
12-31-2010, 06:27 PM
He reminds me of a slightly less better Fitz. He's going to be a steal for any team that takes him at the end of round 1 or round 2.

ElectricEye
12-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Honestly, I wasn't talking about you Scott.

But when you pegged Floyd as a better player than Baldwin, I felt like there was a whole lot of piling on after the fact.

IMO your analysis of a player always is more objective than the rest of us, generally speaking.

I don't see anyone knocking Baldwin to near the extent you think they are. The comments he made after the season were brought up and it's completely fair game to do so. Not sure how that absolves the discussion of objectivity like you're implicating it does.

Scott Wright
12-31-2010, 06:33 PM
If I were advising Michael Floyd, I'd tell him to go back. Instead of competing to be the fifth or sixth player chosen at his position and a second rounder this year he could be one of the top two or three wideouts and a first rounder next year. Also, if Floyd has the type of big senior season he's capable of and can stay healthy the Top 10 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. In the 2011 NFL Draft, Floyd just has way too much elite competition.

As far as comparisons go, I've said Larry Fitzgerald since I saw him play in high school. Like Fitz, Floyd plays much faster than he times and is a terrific vertical threat even though he lacks elite speed. Plus they are both absolute monsters in the redzone.

Giantsfan1080
12-31-2010, 06:35 PM
If I were advising Michael Floyd, I'd tell him to go back. Instead of competing to be the fifth or sixth player chosen at his position and a second rounder this year he could be one of the top two or three wideouts and a first rounder next year. Also, if Floyd has the type of big senior season he's capable of and can stay healthy the Top 10 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

As far as comparisons go, I've said Larry Fitzgerald since I saw him in high school. Like Fitz, Floyd is a terrific vertical threat even though he lacks elite speed. Plus they are both absolute monsters in the redzone.

Plus they're both from Minnesota. I'd go though if I were Floyd. The odds of him staying healthy are not good and if he did return and then got hurt again it would turn teams off even more. He's better off getting late 1st round money and then cashing in on a big FA contract if he can produce.

FUNBUNCHER
12-31-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't see anyone knocking Baldwin to near the extent you think they are. The comments he made after the season were brought up and it's completely fair game to do so. Not sure how that absolves the discussion of objectivity like you're implicating it does.

Look at the thread title. Baldwin's name appears almost as much as Floyd's does.

It's like, Floyd is only good in comparison to Baldwin, instead of being exceptional on his own merits.

thenewfeature06
12-31-2010, 07:29 PM
I have had Floyd at my 2/3 spot for awile now just because Julio was inconsistent for some time but after the year Michael would be 3b to Blackmons 3a since he is eligible. I am a fan of Floyd a team like St.Louis could really use him and if he is there for Oakland in round 2 I hope we pull the trigger.

keylime_5
12-31-2010, 07:39 PM
The thing is about guys going pro early, even if they'll be an early 2nd rounder this year and possibly a 1st rounder if they stay, by staying they throw away a whole year's worth of NFL paychecks and risk getting hurt or playing worse and lowering their draft stock. It's a hard call in terms of what I would advise Floyd to do b/c he had a great year this year, his numbers weren't bad, and if he's hurt so much in his first 3 years like he was I think the odds of getting a bad injury in 2011 are just as good if not better than staying injury free....teams will still think his durability is a question mark even if he never gets hurt in 2011....so I'd advise him to leave, hope for a great workout/interview in the pre-draft process and sneak into the mid-late first round.

ElectricEye
12-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Look at the thread title. Baldwin's name appears almost as much as Floyd's does.

It's like, Floyd is only good in comparison to Baldwin, instead of be exceptional on his own merits.
It happens all of the time, as Scott mentioned. If we're talking about Allen Bailey, there's a chance someone is going to have an opinion he's better than Cameron Jordan or visa versa and that advances discussions forward. Of course they can both be good players in their own right, everyone knows that. We're talking about Baldwin because he and Floyd are competing for draft position and that's absolutely relevant to Floyd.

thegreatone
12-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Floyd will be a steal for someone in the bottom of the first imo.

GoRavens
12-31-2010, 08:59 PM
for some reason I can totally see Chicago grabbing this guy in the 1st.
Great all around receiver.
A complete package for Cutler.
I also have a feeling he could disappoint in a 40 time and run a 4.55ish
lets see

regoob2
12-31-2010, 10:39 PM
for some reason I can totally see Chicago grabbing this guy in the 1st.
Great all around receiver.
A complete package for Cutler.
I also have a feeling he could disappoint in a 40 time and run a 4.55ish
lets see
I would love him in Chicago.

armageddon
01-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I can't see Floyd going before AJ, Julio, Blackmon and Baldwin. I also can't see 5 wr's going in rd 1. 2nd round steal for somebody.

thegreatone
01-01-2011, 09:09 AM
I can't see Floyd going before AJ, Julio, Blackmon and Baldwin. I also can't see 5 wr's going in rd 1. 2nd round steal for somebody.
I think he gets picked before Baldwin because his character issues will most likely get overblown.

Monomach
01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I would love him in Chicago.

I'd kill for him. He'd be the perfect fit for those Jay Cutler jump balls that our receivers don't even jump for.

A Perfect Score
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I think he gets picked before Baldwin because his character issues will most likely get overblown.

There are much bigger concerns surrounding Baldwin then him throwing the Pitt program under the bus. Namely the fact that he just isn't a very good receiver.

thenewfeature06
01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
I think Chicago is a good spot for him for sure.I think Green and Julio will get drafted before him if they declare maybe even Blackmon too, but Floyd kind of plays like Plaxico Burress to me.

FUNBUNCHER
01-02-2011, 04:09 PM
There are much bigger concerns surrounding Baldwin then him throwing the Pitt program under the bus. Namely the fact that he just isn't a very good receiver.

Of course. Isn't it obvious??

A Perfect Score
01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Of course. Isn't it obvious??

If you watch him play it is.

FUNBUNCHER
01-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Stick to the topic of the OP. You're obsessed with Baldwin.