PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 MIKEs

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Are there any worth a damn in the 1st round this year? I'm looking for a Curtis Lofton/Jon Beason type of MIKEbacker, a guy who is fast and can run sideline to sideline, defend the deep middle, but also has enough speed/strength combo to take on blockers downhill and stuff the run.

Any of those this year? I know I pretty much asked for a prototype 43 MIKE, I'm just curious to know if any of them are available this year.

I'm not looking for a Patrick Willis, I know that kind of freak doesn't come by every year, but there's gotta be someone with that Curtis Lofton type of athleticism right?

I havent followed college football at all this year, that's why I'm asking.

roscoesdad27
01-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Even thou its his third best position after 4-3 olb and 3-4 olb, Akeem Ayers would be the only player I would consider at mike in the first round. The value is in the second or even third round with jones, bynes, wilson and sheppard. This isn't a good year for a first round mike, the guys with impressive stats are small or not very atheletic and the guys with the size don't have the stats...Ayers is the only one that has both but he would have to do a position switch.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm intrigued by Greg Jones. Just watching highlights (i know that's not an accurate way of evaluating talent, but i'm just starting to evaluate guys so i'm starting with youtube unfortunately), he seems like he has the speed, aggressiveness, and tackling ability I'm looking for.

But he seems tiny. He's listed at 6 1", but just looking at him I question that, he looks 5 9- 5 10" to me. And he's listed at 240 but he looks like he's 230 at best to me as well.

Anyone can offer any insight on this prospect?

I also quickly checked out Quan, I think the guy is kinda like Rolando McClain in a sense that he's a little slow, but he does a good job of reading and flowing to the ball.

I also looked at OLB guys to see if they can move inside, Bruce Carter looks like a guy who has the speed, but he overpursues a lot and doesn't do a good job tackling.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Even thou its his third best position after 4-3 olb and 3-4 olb, Akeem Ayers would be the only player I would consider at mike in the first round. The value is in the second or even third round with jones, bynes, wilson and sheppard. This isn't a good year for a first round mike, the guys with impressive stats are small or not very atheletic and the guys with the size don't have the stats...Ayers is the only one that has both but he would have to do a position switch.

He doesn't look all that bad. He has the size, and he has decent speed. I don't think he's the type I'm looking for though.

Greg Jones would be the type if he was a little bigger. I'm curious to see how he stacks up at the combine. I have a feeling he's going to be a lot smaller than his current listed size/weight.

KennyG
01-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Nate Irving was a beast this year. Sturdivant, Jones, Sheppard, Casey Matthews are probably the top of the class but none really worth a 1st round grade. What you really got to think about is how many 4-3 teams will be looking for a ILB, you will probably be able to get a top 5 rated ILB in the 3/4th round this year. Then there are a few FA's, Harris from the Jets and Barrett Ruud right off the top of my head, my Buc's will not resign Ruud most likely so I can see us going ILB early... Anyways good luck next year but lose to the Redskins manana so my Buc's can get into the playoffs.

roscoesdad27
01-01-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm intrigued by Greg Jones. Just watching highlights (i know that's not an accurate way of evaluating talent, but i'm just starting to evaluate guys so i'm starting with youtube unfortunately), he seems like he has the speed, aggressiveness, and tackling ability I'm looking for.

But he seems tiny. He's listed at 6 1", but just looking at him I question that, he looks 5 9- 5 10" to me. And he's listed at 240 but he looks like he's 230 at best to me as well.

Anyone can offer any insight on this prospect?

I also quickly checked out Quan, I think the guy is kinda like Rolando McClain in a sense that he's a little slow, but he does a good job of reading and flowing to the ball.

I also looked at OLB guys to see if they can move inside, Bruce Carter looks like a guy who has the speed, but he overpursues a lot and doesn't do a good job tackling.

1) Jones isn't a hair over 230 and I wouldn't be surprised if he was 220-225 plus he doesn't have the frame to carry much additional weight. He is an excellent tackler and is very good in coverage but I can't see him beating many blocks and he will struggle against physical backs....I think his best position is wlb.

2) Quan is a guy worth looking at in the late second - early fourth range. Your off on the mcclain comparison thou, quan isn't nearly as big and wouldn't fit into a 3-4 like mcclain idealy does. The only player worth comparing to mcclain is hightower althou he isn't as talented and is scheme reliant (3-4) ted only.

3) Carter actually coulda been a first round possibilty but he's also a bit small and would have to make a position switch from olb....not to mention he recently tore his acl.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 08:53 AM
1) Jones isn't a hair over 230 and I wouldn't be surprised if he was 220-225 plus he doesn't have the frame to carry much additional weight. He is an excellent tackler and is very good in coverage but I can't see him beating many blocks and he will struggle against physical backs....I think his best position is wlb.

2) Quan is a guy worth looking at in the late second - early fourth range. Your off on the mcclain comparison thou, quan isn't nearly as big and wouldn't fit into a 3-4 like mcclain idealy does. The only player worth comparing to mcclain is hightower althou he isn't as talented and is scheme reliant (3-4) ted only.

3) Carter actually coulda been a first round possibilty but he's also a bit small and would have to make a position switch from olb....not to mention he recently tore his acl.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info bro.

Morton
01-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Size doesn't really matter as much as you think it does in the NFL. It's all about technique, toughness, and instincts.

A guy who is 5'11" and 220lbs can actually be a better hitter and tackler than a guy who is 6'3" and 260lbs.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Size doesn't really matter as much as you think it does in the NFL. It's all about technique, toughness, and instincts.

A guy who is 5'11" and 220lbs can actually be a better hitter and tackler than a guy who is 6'3" and 260lbs.

Sure. But you still factor in athleticism when evaluating prospects. It didn't mean anything there wouldn't be a combine.

Morton
01-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Sure. But you still factor in athleticism when evaluating prospects. It didn't mean anything there wouldn't be a combine.

The combine actually is mostly useless and if you talk to coaches they'll tell you that behind closed doors. Something like 80-90% of the grade they give to a player, and the consideration they give to drafting a player, is based on game tape and not measurables.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2011, 10:17 AM
The combine actually is mostly useless and if you talk to coaches they'll tell you that behind closed doors. Something like 80-90% of the grade they give to a player, and the consideration they give to drafting a player, is based on game tape and not measurables.

The combine is not useless at all. You can't play in the NFL if you don't have NFL athleticism. Now I'm not saying you have to be the fastest guy on the track, but there is a certain parameter of athleticism that you must fall within in order to get drafted.

That's the whole purpose of the combine. Bill Polian, one of the better GMs in the league, puts a heavy emphasis on the combine.

It's almost become cliche at this point by draft followers to shun it's importance. While it's clearly not the only means of evaluating prospects, it's a very key piece in determining who will translate to the next level.

That said, I agree that game tape is more important. But the combine has it's place in the evaluation process.

All of the process does. Interviews, game tape, combine, the wonderlic. They do all of it for a reason.

PTPaQ
01-01-2011, 11:13 AM
I think you would like Mason Foster. Maybe not as athletic as your looking for but he can be a force in the middle for somebody for a LONG time.

A Perfect Score
01-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Mason Foster could most definitely play in the middle of a 4-3. Im a huge fan of Greg Jones in a 4-3, he's a bit undersized but he could definitely play the part. Alex Wujciak out of Maryland is another guy to keep an eye on, he's scheme versatile and could definitely succeed inside in a 4-3. He's more of a mid rounder at this point though, but the guy is just a football player.

DBNYDP
01-01-2011, 01:00 PM
When I'm looking at a 4-3 Mike, I'm mainly looking for...
-Great tackling technique
-Ability to get off blocks
-Coverage ability
-Instincts
-Leadership ability as that 4-3 MLB is a typical leader of defense (could be other positions, but I mean 4-3 seems to be one of the more typical)

There are some guys that fit that, and the guy I'm taking a look at would have to be Kelvin Shepherd. Leader of the LSU defense, great instincts, good fundementals, and he has produced in college as well. The biggest knock against him is going to be speed, he will probably run somewhere from 4.7-4.9, but if I were a GM, I'd still look at him as one of the top 4-3 MLBs. I feel like Jones is going to get blocked a lot, which really scares me. Otherwise he is an ideal guy.

irishbucsfan
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Tampa fans are getting a bit sick of watching Ruud's huge inability to get off blocks and his drag down tackles several yards past the LOS. Jones was looking like a good fit, but I didn't realise he was that small. Sad panda.

brasho
01-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I've been taking in all the MLBs the past couple of days and overall I am very unimpressed.

I watched the Alabama-MSU massacre with the sole intent of watching Greg Jones on D... and he did very little. He took bad angles, got himself blocked unncessarily, didn't meet many plays in the hole, wouldn't run sideline to sideline, and perhaps even worse, not one time did I see him take a true pass drop. In passing sitations he almost always trailed in m2m or stood at the line of scrimmage in a very short zone. He is also not much of a thumper and more of a drag down tackler. Truthfully I was more impressed with his partner Eric Gordon who met some plays in the hole and on a few occasions flipped his hips and turned up field on pass coverage.

Colin McCarthy reminded me very much of the Bucs Barrett Ruud. Pure wrap up tackler, bad angles, makes plays down field, not impressed.

Nate Irving looked pretty good to me, he plays moving forward, several times he took on a block from an OG and gave him a nice jolt, and ran around the field at full speed. If he runs ok and his health checks out, I am impressed enough with him.

The guy I am most excited about is a junior and admittedly I had written him off earlier in the year because of the competition he played against... and his silly-ish name... but Tank Carder really impressed me today. He zipped through the hole several times and met the RB in the backfield, he looks to have good range, he can be a thumper... but my biggest issue with him is that he's still a junior and doesn't look likely to come out this season. In favor of him coming out, his team just finished the season undefeated (can't get any better than that), his QB and several teammates are seniors and are leaving, and he is the reigning conference defensive MVP.

Anyways, to me Nate Irving... and Dont'a Hightower have looked the best of the players likely to come out this season.

DBNYDP
01-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Dont'a Hightower has NOT impressed me this season. He's has been slow at recognizing things. He gets blocked easily despite his frame. Missed some tackles.
I was highly disappointed in Hightower. At the end of last year I said that this guy was going to be an easy 1st rounder, and a better prospect than McClain.

brasho
01-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Tampa fans are getting a bit sick of watching Ruud's huge inability to get off blocks and his drag down tackles several yards past the LOS. Jones was looking like a good fit, but I didn't realise he was that small. Sad panda.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but all of the great mikes for the Bucs in the past have been smaller. Neither Hardy Nickerson nor Shelton Quarles ever topped 235 lbs for the Bucs... and though Ruud is listed at 241, he admitted in an interview (where he tried to defend his crappy play) that he had to keep his weight around 235 to maximize his speed and agility.

ChiFan24
01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
I think Bruce Carter is my favorite possibility. He'd work better at OLB, but if my choice is between him and Greg Jones or Quan Sturdivant, I'm taking my chances with Carter.

critesy
01-02-2011, 06:30 PM
josh bynes from auburn is very identical to brandon spikes from last year minus the eye gouging issues.

Da Big Harv
01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't know how small he got over the season but Greg Jones specifically put on weight last off season and started the year off at about 245 so either he was lying or he lost it over the season.

Most MLB in NFL played college at about 235 tho and gain 10 or 15 in NFL over the years.

bigbluedefense
01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
When is Oklahoma's Bowl game? I need to scout Travis Lewis. I'm hoping he comes out, if he does, he's the guy I'd prefer, if he passes the eyeball test.

Giantsfan1080
01-03-2011, 04:36 PM
When is Oklahoma's Bowl game? I need to scout Travis Lewis. I'm hoping he comes out, if he does, he's the guy I'd prefer, if he passes the eyeball test.

They already played Saturday night.