PDA

View Full Version : Greg Reid, CB, Florida St.

Morton
01-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Did anyone see him in the FSU-SCAR bowl game last night?

He looked like Bob Sanders playing CB against Spurrier's Gamecocks. Some of the stuff he did in that game was unbelievable. Check out this big hit on Marcus Lattimore that caused Lattimore to not only fumble the ball, but require facial stitches in the hospital after the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1IGweDXSY

He also had some nice punt returns and pass break-ups. My question is: he's a sophomore, so he's staying in school for next year, correct? There's no chance he would be eligible for this year's draft?

Also, I haven't seen too many FSU games, so has he played at such a high level all year? Is he a legit prospect when he finally does declare eventually, or was this just a game in which he was playing out of his mind for one night?

brasho
01-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I think equally impressive was UCF CB Josh Robinson. He did very well covering AJ Greeen for most of the game and to me really raised questions about Green's deep speed and ability. Just from this one game, Green looked more like a Keyshawn-type possession WR than an elite top-end WR.

Jimmy
01-01-2011, 12:47 PM
. My question is: he's a sophomore, so he's staying in school for next year, correct? There's no chance he would be eligible for this year's draft?

Also, I haven't seen too many FSU games, so has he played at such a high level all year? Is he a legit prospect when he finally does declare eventually, or was this just a game in which he was playing out of his mind for one night?

Correct, he was a true freshman last year. He is an amazing asset in the return game, and in the 2 chances I had to watch him play last year, he was easily the D-MVP of the game. Just a playmaker in general.

BuddyCHRIST
01-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Definitely the best game of his career on defense.

His aggressiveness can work both ways as he will give up some big plays, and go for big hits rather than wrap up. He is an excellent return man, his quicks are unreal. He is very similar to someone like Javier Arenas, probably a mid rounder.

The real stud for FSU is Xavier Rhodes, he's 6'1" 210 and is an absolute lock down cover corner who is also a great tackler. He is a RS Freshmen but he looks like a future top 10 pick. Been the best player on FSU's defense.

Phillysteeler
01-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I have watched a decent amount of FSU games this year (5 or 6) and he is definitely a playmaker. However this can go both ways as has been said. I do like Xavier Rhodes more for consistency, but Reid is a game changer. I would say the big knock on him will be his lack of size since he is about 5'8".

sbh15
01-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Reid has some work to do in coverage, but he's young. He should improve a lot by the end of his career. Obvious playmaker, wish UF had been able to hold on to him.

Scott Wright
01-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Haven't looked at Reid in-depth. My initial impression was that he may be a young Javier Arenas.

draftguru151
01-01-2011, 06:34 PM
A loooooot faster than Arenas, has a ways to go to be as good of corner though.

BuddyCHRIST
01-01-2011, 10:51 PM
A loooooot faster than Arenas, has a ways to go to be as good of corner though.

He's actually not that straight line fast, probably will run in the 4.5s. But his quickness tends to mask that.

BallerT1215
01-04-2011, 12:46 AM
G5 is a beast. But to be honest, as an fsu fan, Rhodes is by far our # 1 CB. And a guy that no one is talking about and our nickle, Mike Harris, who was a juco transfer is damn good and will get even more playing time next year.

TuckNole
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Reid has some good games and some bad ones, but he is definitely getting better.

Rhodes is the the overall better prospect (ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year) and is one of the most physically intimidating corners in CFB.

One issue with Reid is that unless he starts playing like a superstar all the time, he will definitely lose snaps. Mike Harris will play in the NFL. Joyner had a really good freshman year.

All of these guys are coached by Mark Stoops of course, who has coached 6 or 7 guys into being first round defensive backs.

Jimbo Fisher said it after Peach Bowl, "we have some really special corners."

MassNole
01-04-2011, 07:18 PM
As people have said, Xavier Rhodes is the best CB for FSU, but I'd actually say the second best CB on the team is actually Michael Harris. Because of his Juco and their notorious transcript problems he missed the summer and maybe a little fall practice so he was behind. He lead the team in INTs and made a lot of big plays when needed. Ideally I think Reid fits better as a Nickelback, which is likely where is NFL use will be along as a Returner where he will make an instant impact.

TuckNole
01-04-2011, 07:24 PM
As people have said, Xavier Rhodes is the best CB for FSU, but I'd actually say the second best CB on the team is actually Michael Harris. Because of his Juco and their notorious transcript problems he missed the summer and maybe a little fall practice so he was behind. He lead the team in INTs and made a lot of big plays when needed. Ideally I think Reid fits better as a Nickelback, which is likely where is NFL use will be along as a Returner where he will make an instant impact.

Harris gets to "look" better because he is playing nickel and only comes in on obvious passing downs. I think he is a really really good player and will play in the NFL, but I'll wait to name him the better CB until he has to start playing on a lot of rushing / ambiguous downs. But you might be right.

The thing that you have to like about Reid though, is that he plays each game with more heart than most can ever muster, and it gets the whole team hyped.

MassNole
01-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah but then I remember games like UNC where Dwight Jones (a high level prospect in his own right) torched him repeatedly and really exposed his size issues.

BallerT1215
01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Yeah but then I remember games like UNC where Dwight Jones (a high level prospect in his own right) torched him repeatedly and really exposed his size issues.

Agreed...that was a nightmare...Reminded me of Tony Carter getting abused by bigger WR's..

fourthandray
09-21-2011, 02:46 PM
You guys think the kid is going to come out if he rocks it for the rest of the year? Might have National Title hopes as a senior, although I have noticed he is rocking some Ankle Braces (http://www.ultraankle.com) this year. Any way health could be an issue?

BigJohn98
09-21-2011, 03:09 PM
You guys think the kid is going to come out if he rocks it for the rest of the year? Might have National Title hopes as a senior...

No. He needs as much work at corner as possible.

sbh15
09-21-2011, 03:17 PM
greg reid = deangelo hall? just based on what i've read... both take way too many risks in coverage that don't pay off nearly often enough. both also have the ability to take it to the house once the ball is in their hands

shylo3716
09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I think he has a ceiling of the Early 2nd Round especially with his Return ability which is a + +

BuddyCHRIST
09-22-2011, 05:10 PM
greg reid = deangelo hall? just based on what i've read... both take way too many risks in coverage that don't pay off nearly often enough. both also have the ability to take it to the house once the ball is in their hands

similar type player, except Hall is a more physically talented player which allows him to do that at the NFL level. Reid is only 5'8" and with probably only mid 4.5 speed.

GaMeTiMe
09-23-2011, 03:14 AM
He's a nickel corner at the next level, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. You need as many playmakers and match-up guys in the secondary as you can get today. Whoever drafts him will use him to shadow the Harvins and Cobbs of the league while returning kicks. Not a stud starting corner but will certainly serve a purpose and excel at what he does.