PDA

View Full Version : The "Soccer Really Annoys Me Thread"

Vikes99ej
06-13-2006, 08:32 PM
How many people on here are tired of seeing all of the stuff about the world cup on ESPN and the newspapers? I try to watch soccer and it is so boring. There is no winning and rarely any big hits or anything. It is wasting minutes on Sportscenter that could be used giving us reports on the real football. I on't have anything against you if you like soccer, though. I just needed some way to vent my frustrations.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Soccers not terrible, not great, but not terrible.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
06-13-2006, 08:33 PM
I like the WC, but yeah, it is kinda boring. What I really hate is the diving though, that pisses me off. At lunch every day when I play soccer, whenever anyone touches me I drop and scream like I tore every ligament in my knee. twice. :p. just to make fun of soccer players.

Canadian_kid16
06-13-2006, 08:34 PM
I agree with Chuck Norris, If I want to see a score, I watch the highlights, it is weird when people talk about how "exciting" watching soccer is

Maroney22
06-13-2006, 08:34 PM
I agree its not good. Im interested in whose winning and losing in the World Cup, not watching the World Cup though. Anything else soccer related I could give a rats ass about.

CGF 216/137
06-13-2006, 08:36 PM
I love soccer, watching it it is the most exciting sport on earth. Even if the scores aren't really high it's still extremely gripping.

duckseason
06-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Dude, the most annoying thing about soccer is that only one guy knows how much time is left in the game.
There's no set clock. Imagine Elway driving for the winning TD, and all of a sudden the official says the game is over.

CGF 216/137
06-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Dude, the most annoying thing about soccer is that only one guy knows how much time is left in the game.
There's no set clock. Imagine Elway driving for the winning TD, and all of a sudden the official says the game is over.

You're gauranteed 90 minutes plus a little stoppage time, so i have no beef with that.

Maroney22
06-13-2006, 08:38 PM

what? I didnt know that?

06-13-2006, 08:39 PM
I've watched worse and more boring sports before ALA BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jetvilma51
soccer will be out of the headlines in 2 months so just accept it

Maroney22
I've watched worse and more boring sports before ALA BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baseball is awesome what are you talking about

nvot9
06-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Maybe you should re-name this the "I'm an ignorant person who only wants to see brutal action because I have a tiny attention span thread"...just a thought.

duckseason
06-13-2006, 08:41 PM

You're gauranteed 90 minutes plus a little stoppage time, so i have no beef with that.

Yeah, but there's no clock to tell everybody when the game ends though right? They just stop it when it's time.

Vikes99ej
06-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Maybe you should re-name this the "I'm an ignorant person who only wants to see brutal action because I have a tiny attention span thread"...just a thought. So? I don't care.... I won't be the only one.

elway777
06-13-2006, 08:43 PM
the sound of soccer gives me krabs....i mean chills

nvot9
Maybe you should re-name this the "I'm an ignorant person who only wants to see brutal action because I have a tiny attention span thread"...just a thought. So? I don't care.... I won't be the only one.

That response didn't really make all that much sense, but...?

By the way, sorry if I'm being a little harsh, not in that great of a mood.

Maroney22
Maybe you should re-name this the "I'm an ignorant person who only wants to see brutal action because I have a tiny attention span thread"...just a thought.

Maybe you should stop being so defensive and negative and let people voice their opinions?

jets future

what? I didnt know that?
well there is 90 minnutes at regulation and the refs stop time at the end and they can end the stop time according to dead balls and injuries, well you cant be reliable on stoppage time. when i watched the netherlands game espn gave an estimated time and it was around the estimation. they stop time because in regulation they dont stop the 90 minnutes.

For me, I don't find it boring because of low scoring, I'm a New JErsey Devils fan, before the lockout they were notorious for low scoring. I just find it kinda boring cuz it just seems like whenever something's about to happen... nothing does. It might be because Canada sucks at soccer. I dunno. But I do know it wold be AMAZING to watchlive, with that kind of atmosphere.

Vikes99ej
06-13-2006, 08:44 PM

That response didn't really make all that much sense, but...?

By the way, sorry if I'm being a little harsh, not in that great of a mood. That's all right.... I can see why people would like soccer is they play it a lot, like in college or high school. It might be their love. Just the way swimmers or nordic skiers love their sport.

Maroney22
06-13-2006, 08:45 PM

what? I didnt know that?
well there is 90 minnutes at regulation and the refs stop time at the end and they can end the stop time according to dead balls and injuries, well you cant be reliable on stoppage time. when i watched the netherlands game espn gave an estimated time and it was around the estimation. they stop time because in regulation they dont stop the 90 minnutes.

Thats really f'ed up

jets future
06-13-2006, 08:50 PM
i like soccer because they work hard out there. they run around a huge field, for 90 min, and dont froget in the first round you have olny three subs. When you watch t.v they make it look so easy, but you cant see all the pushing and \they contstantly keep kicking the ball and they use there head alot.

nvot9
06-13-2006, 08:50 PM
You really need to understand soccer to enjoy it, it is not just putting a ball into a net. I guess you could say it is an "aquired taste" so to speak. It is also hard to enjoy soccer from a television because you really can't see all the pushing and shoving and tugging. It is really quite the contact sport and requires ample skill. I think something that sort of ruins the game is the diving however.

theshark08
06-13-2006, 08:51 PM
i definatley agree. how someone can watch for hours with only one goal is beyond me.

jets future
06-13-2006, 08:53 PM
p*** basketball players complain when they get touched, and they have there littel time outs, and they have subs, and they dont even run as much as soccer players do, soccer players work more harder than any other spoirt.
I honestly was like all of the people who dont like soccer last week but when i watched the weekend i found out how much heart they have

Maroney22
06-13-2006, 08:57 PM
p*** basketball players complain when they get touched, and they have there littel time outs, and they have subs, and they dont even run as much as soccer players do, soccer players work more harder than any other spoirt.

LOL. Me and my friend were just talking about how soccer players are pussies and like 3 seconds after a player got tripped and was almost crying. And basketball runs more, think about it. Theres 10 players on the court in a basketball game which means they are around the action more. Defenders in soccer do almost nothing when the ball i son the other side of the field.

CGF 216/137
06-13-2006, 08:58 PM
i definatley agree. how someone can watch for hours with only one goal is beyond me.

there's more than just goals. Goals are cool, but there only cool if beautifully set up, thus it's better that weak goals aren't that common as they are in baseball or basketball.

yodabear
06-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Soccer is fine with me.

06-13-2006, 09:02 PM

there's more than just goals. Goals are cool, but there only cool if beautifully set up, thus it's better that weak goals aren't that common as they are in baseball or basketball.

Yeah, you have to have appreciation for more than just goals. After years of watching hockey, I've learned to appreciate great passing, skating, deking, hitting, and of course, saves. I imaigne soccer is the same way, just with dribbling, passing, tackling, etc.

CGF 216/137
06-13-2006, 09:03 PM

Yeah, you have to have appreciation for more than just goals. After years of watching hockey, I've learned to appreciate great passing, skating, deking, hitting, and of course, saves. I imaigne soccer is the same way, just with dribbling, passing, tackling, etc.

Definately that's why the brazilians are so popular because they move the ball quickly and accurately and don't just score goals but are just sauve and beautiful in how they move the ball.

Maroney22
06-13-2006, 09:04 PM

i appreciate hockey a million times more than soccer. I can get in to hockey somewhat because there is much more action

Namy
06-13-2006, 09:06 PM

LOL. Me and my friend were just talking about how soccer players are pussies and like 3 seconds after a player got tripped and was almost crying. And basketball runs more, think about it. Theres 10 players on the court in a basketball game which means they are around the action more. Defenders in soccer do almost nothing when the ball i son the other side of the field.
The average professional soccer player runs 8 miles per game. Not sure about basketball tho...

I also agree with Jets Future. People who complain about the diving in soccer fail to realize that basketball is worse. In soccer, most of the time, they actually do get kicked in the leg... while there is over dramatization, the foul is usually there. In the NBA, either you're a superstar or you're good at acting and you get fouls called in your favor for getting bumped in the shoulder or tapped in the hand after the ball is shot.

For people who complain about low scoring, hockey is just as bad. 3-4 goals is a lot for a hockey team in a game, and there are several soccer teams that can put up a lot of goals such as Brazil, Germany, etc. Besides, at least you can see the ball in soccer. Whenever I watch the NHL, I have no idea where the puck is cuz it's so small...

For those who complain about soccer being boring, I think baseball is sooo much more boring. Baseball is such a routine sport. Batter comes up, pitcher pitches, etc. Soccer is more flowing and animated. Another thing, soccer is much more fun (I guess like all sports) when you have a team to root for. For me, it's Korea. Not only that, seeing the best athletes of each country in the world (with the exception of the USA) going at it on a soccer field is pretty thrilling imho.

Iunno, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the reasons mentioned for why soccer sucks were pretty weak arguments and typifies the American ignorance to the most popular worldwide sport. :?

Maroney22
06-13-2006, 09:09 PM

The average professional soccer player runs 8 miles per game. Not sure about basketball tho...

I also agree with Jets Future. People who complain about the diving in soccer fail to realize that basketball is worse. In soccer, most of the time, they actually do get kicked in the leg... while there is over dramatization, the foul is usually there. In the NBA, either you're a superstar or you're good at acting and you get fouls called in your favor for getting bumped in the shoulder or tapped in the hand after the ball is shot.

For people who complain about low scoring, hockey is just as bad. 3-4 goals is a lot for a hockey team in a game, and there are several soccer teams that can put up a lot of goals such as Brazil, Germany, etc. Besides, at least you can see the ball in soccer. Whenever I watch the NHL, I have no idea where the puck is cuz it's so small...

For those who complain about soccer being boring, I think baseball is sooo much more boring. Baseball is such a routine sport. Batter comes up, pitcher pitches, etc. Soccer is more flowing and animated. Another thing, soccer is much more fun (I guess like all sports) when you have a team to root for. For me, it's Korea. Not only that, seeing the best athletes of each country in the world (with the exception of the USA) going at it on a soccer field is pretty thrilling imho.

Iunno, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the reasons mentioned for why soccer is not good were pretty weak arguments and typifies the American ignorance to the most popular worldwide sport. :?

Actaully hockey games have 10x as many goals as soccer now because of the rule changes. And I can see how you think baseball is boring because I used to think the same thing, but great catches, home runs, stolen bases etc. are very exciting to me.

CGF 216/137
06-13-2006, 09:12 PM
I love most sports but soccer is truly the most animated and well moving sport as it takes many more players and much mroe movement to beat 8 players and a goalkeeper when you're on O. I love Hockey as well, because it is so fast moving, but there a single individual can take over and use speed to dominate much mroe than in soccer where it takes a lot of players to move the ball well.

jets future
06-13-2006, 09:33 PM

they like dive constantly which trips other players and they fall pretty hard, and lets dont froget that these soccer players are playing for the pride of there countries, unlike american basket ball players who play for the check, not for the game, and american b ball players dont want to represent there own country, because they dont care. american players used to dominate basketball now look what happened.
oh yeah soccer players play out side so it can get pretty hot especially people from south ameica, and africa. basket ball players play in an arena for 48 mins where they have timeouts, and subs

Raiderz4Life
06-13-2006, 09:44 PM
How many people on here are tired of seeing all of the stuff about the world cup on ESPN and the newspapers? I try to watch soccer and it is so boring. There is no winning and rarely any big hits or anything. It is wasting minutes on Sportscenter that could be used giving us reports on the real football. I on't have anything against you if you like soccer, though. I just needed some way to vent my frustrations.

Soccer is actually more football than football because in soccer you actually use your foot to do everything, in football the only time your leg touches the ball is when kicking/punting.

Nerv
06-13-2006, 09:51 PM
You really need to understand soccer to enjoy it, it is not just putting a ball into a net. I guess you could say it is an "aquired taste" so to speak. It is also hard to enjoy soccer from a television because you really can't see all the pushing and shoving and tugging. It is really quite the contact sport and requires ample skill. I think something that sort of ruins the game is the diving however.

Thierry Henry or whatever his name is really looks like Chauncey Billups in your sig.

Maroney22
06-13-2006, 11:37 PM

they like dive constantly which trips other players and they fall pretty hard, and lets dont froget that these soccer players are playing for the pride of there countries, unlike american basket ball players who play for the check, not for the game, and american b ball players dont want to represent there own country, because they dont care. american players used to dominate basketball now look what happened.
oh yeah soccer players play out side so it can get pretty hot especially people from south ameica, and africa. basket ball players play in an arena for 48 mins where they have timeouts, and subs

But to call basketball player p*** is ********. I wanna see you play Shaq or Ben Wallace one on one. Tell me how that goes for ya. And you know there is a lot of basketball players who do care Kevin Garnett, AI Duncan Nash Kobe Shaq they go all out on the floor so dont tell me they dont care about basketball. Quit generalizing.

06-13-2006, 11:41 PM
soccer really annoys me

DHVF
06-14-2006, 12:06 AM
I can watch the world cup I guess (even though I really haven't much), but anything else in soccer is just unbarable for me, I'm sorry but it is. It can be like watching paint dry.

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 12:09 AM
I can watch the world cup I guess (even though I really haven't much), but anything else in soccer is just unbarable for me, I'm sorry but it is. It can be like watching paint dry.

06-14-2006, 12:16 AM

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 12:17 AM

Raiderz4Life
06-14-2006, 12:37 AM

But to call basketball player p*** is ***********. I wanna see you play Shaq or Ben Wallace one on one. Tell me how that goes for ya. And you know there is a lot of basketball players who do care Kevin Garnett, AI Duncan Nash Kobe Shaq they go all out on the floor so dont tell me they dont care about basketball. Quit generalizing.

Kobe doesen't play for the love of the game, he plays to be on highlight reels getting payed and being a famous worthless punk.

renegade17
06-14-2006, 12:44 AM
I try to watch soccer, because my dad loves it.. but I can't get myself to like it. I prefer tennis, actually.

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 12:46 AM

But to call basketball player p*** is ***********. I wanna see you play Shaq or Ben Wallace one on one. Tell me how that goes for ya. And you know there is a lot of basketball players who do care Kevin Garnett, AI Duncan Nash Kobe Shaq they go all out on the floor so dont tell me they dont care about basketball. Quit generalizing.

Kobe doesen't play for the love of the game, he plays to be on highlight reels getting payed and being a famous worthless punk.

fine. how bout Mark Madsen, D-Wade, Gary Payton, Anderson Varejau, Lebron, Jason Kidd...

Raiderz4Life
06-14-2006, 01:25 AM

fine. how bout Mark Madsen, D-Wade, Gary Payton, Anderson Varejau, Lebron, Jason Kidd...

ok now you got it. but Madsen sucks.

smittyjs
06-14-2006, 01:29 AM
I agree with you.

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 01:51 AM

ok now you got it. but Madsen is not good.

dont you ever put down Maddog ya hear me?

drowe
06-14-2006, 08:18 AM
i really can't stand soccer. i respect the athletes and i know there is probably more to it than i see...but.. 'yaaaaawwwn'

i know its huge in the rest of the world, but here in america, soccer is just for the people that didn't make the footbal team.

draftguru151
06-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Most of my friends are hispanic so I tried to get into it but I really can't sit there and watch it without doing something else.

I can't stand the fact that there is only one time to cheer the whole game. In basketball there are 100 points scored, football you can get excited on a turnover, big run, sack, etc, baseball even has big plays on defense, and hockey has good hits. Soccer I never see a chance to get up and yell except for when they score goals. That's mainly what bugs me.

CGF 216/137
06-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Most of my friends are hispanic so I tried to get into it but I really can't sit there and watch it without doing something else.

I can't stand the fact that there is only one time to cheer the whole game. In basketball there are 100 points scored, football you can get excited on a turnover, big run, sack, etc, baseball even has big plays on defense, and hockey has good hits. Soccer I never see a chance to get up and yell except for when they score goals. That's mainly what bugs me.

That's why I hate basketball, the points become worthless, it's like inflation of points. No single basket excites you that much until really late. In soccer every goal and close oppurtunity is really nerv wrecking. Not to mention if you appreciate quality passing and ball movement there is often quality moves and balls to cheer.

draftguru151
06-14-2006, 10:12 AM

That's why I hate basketball, the points become worthless, it's like inflation of points. No single basket excites you that much until really late. In soccer every goal and close oppurtunity is really nerv wrecking. Not to mention if you appreciate quality passing and ball movement there is often quality moves and balls to cheer.

Most baskets are ok, but every time a guy drives and does something, or a three, its exciting, not to mention all the dunks and style. Its just when I watch soccer no one is trying to make a play or force a turnover. I'd like to see someone jump in a passing lane still the ball and go running the other way.

CGF 216/137
06-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Most baskets are ok, but every time a guy drives and does something, or a three, its exciting, not to mention all the dunks and style. Its just when I watch soccer no one is trying to make a play or force a turnover. I'd like to see someone jump in a passing lane still the ball and go running the other way.

Players do that all of the time, it's just that teams can't risk it as much, the only place you'll see consistent risk taking on D is if a team is running an offsides trap.

However I find that basketball baskets can't get me excited yet a beautiful run on the flank and cross are better than a goal.

stephenson86
06-14-2006, 10:15 AM
what is the need in this thread?

draftguru151
06-14-2006, 10:17 AM

For Americans to complain that soccer is taking up too much time on sportscenter.

stephenson86
06-14-2006, 10:19 AM

For Americans to complain that soccer is taking up too much time on sportscenter.

oh well im sorry too ehar that tragic new, what shall we talk about on sports centre, how about a 4 hour stint on big ben? America also plays soccer therefore its a part of their country and they should stop being so whiney

draftguru151
06-14-2006, 10:20 AM

oh well im sorry too ehar that tragic new, what shall we talk about on sports centre, how about a 4 hour stint on big ben? America also plays soccer therefore its a part of their country and they should stop being so whiney

There are also terrorists in America but we don't like them.

stephenson86
06-14-2006, 10:22 AM

There are also terrorists in America but we don't like them.

all who complain about it should shut up and listen too it, maybe it will help them learn something and they may end up finding it interesting

njx9
06-14-2006, 10:27 AM
soccer fans, talk to me:

why is it that some people are so incredulous that i would not, if given the opportunity, fall down on my knees and open wide for david beckham? i mean, i feel like i've heard more calls on local sports radio from soccer nuts who are literally screaming at the hosts because the hosts don't think soccer is interesting.

maybe it happens elsewhere, but i've never noticed american football fans or baseball fans doing that...

stephenson86
06-14-2006, 10:28 AM
if hosts on the radio talked about american sports here there would be an up raw, its coz soccor is a secondary sport in the states

Vikes99ej
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Can I say that there are more people in the U.S. who like hockey more than soccer?

06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, hopefully soccer will just finish already so we can see more of Stuart Scott or Danny Patrick or some other lameass SportsCenter anchors try to be hip. Man do I miss watching that tool Peter Gammons give his analysis on the Red Sox. And boy, they need to stop kidnapping my ESPN2. I mean, I need Cold Pizza. That Skip Bayless and Woody Paige. Wacky. Don't forget all those shows of Stump the Schwab or the 2003 World Series of Poker or the Road to Mom's Car Show (or whatever the **** it's called) we're missing. I mean, damn, I've only been given the option of watching those about a thousand times a year.

And what about when team USA plays on ABC on Saturday? What's going to happen with the infomercials?!! No infomercials? That is un-American.

jets future
06-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Can I say that there are more people in the U.S. who like hockey more than soccer?
actually there are a lot of immigrants from other countries that come to america, soccer is like for people who were born in a diffrent country than america. our genneration doesnt like it that much because aamericans who are born here SUCK

slightlyaraiderfan
06-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, hopefully soccer will just finish already so we can see more of Stuart Scott or Danny Patrick or some other lameass SportsCenter anchors try to be hip. Man do I miss watching that tool Peter Gammons give his analysis on the Red Sox. And boy, they need to stop kidnapping my ESPN2. I mean, I need Cold Pizza. That Skip Bayless and Woody Paige. Wacky. Don't forget all those shows of Stump the Schwab or the 2003 World Series of Poker or the Road to Mom's Car Show (or whatever the *********** it's called) we're missing. I mean, damn, I've only been given the option of watching those about a thousand times a year.

And what about when team USA plays on ABC on Saturday? What's going to happen with the infomercials?!! No infomercials? That is un-American.
I sense a hint of sarcasim. Good post. :wink:

Vikes99ej
06-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah, hopefully soccer will just finish already so we can see more of Stuart Scott or Danny Patrick or some other lameass SportsCenter anchors try to be hip. Man do I miss watching that tool Peter Gammons give his analysis on the Red Sox. And boy, they need to stop kidnapping my ESPN2. I mean, I need Cold Pizza. That Skip Bayless and Woody Paige. Wacky. Don't forget all those shows of Stump the Schwab or the 2003 World Series of Poker or the Road to Mom's Car Show (or whatever the *********** it's called) we're missing. I mean, damn, I've only been given the option of watching those about a thousand times a year.

And what about when team USA plays on ABC on Saturday? What's going to happen with the infomercials?!! No infomercials? That is un-American. I'm pretty sure I'd rather watch Cold Pizza and those other shows than watch a bunch of dudes run around and listen to some annoying Brittish guy.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-14-2006, 12:06 PM
"dudes run around" You should listen to yourself, and see how ignorant that sounds.

drowe
06-14-2006, 12:24 PM
ya, know, we're allowed to think soccer is boring. just like you europeans can think american football is boring (which you don't, since you're posting here :P ). Just don't take offense, there may be more to it than what we see...but all i see are a bunch of dudes running around.

rainbeaukid2
06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
i dont really enjoy watching soccer but the world cup only happens one every four years so let them have their month or whatever of soccer.

06-14-2006, 02:47 PM

baseball is awesome what are you talking about

Yeah if you like mind numbing, drawn out action where something exciting happens once every 6 innings.

Nerv
06-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Though I scratch my head when I hear CGF describe what excites him about soccer. I bash it a lot less than other people on here but that is only because it is World Cup time and I cant say no to the World Cup.

I mean I guess you could compare a nicely placed/struck pass to a great reception in football but watching 'amazing ball movement' and foot handling ability that leads to nothing 97% of the time just isnt that exciting. Im sure I will get a reply that says I am ignorant to this because Im not European but I guess Euro's were just born with a higher tolerance to boredom than I.

The Unseen
06-14-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm not a fan of soccer. It does bore me a bit, but I'm learning to like all sports, so I can see why people love it. I just don't. I don't think I ever will. I don't know why, but that's the fact. Maybe it's because I was not raised on it. I will watch some World Cup soccer, but I'm not a fanatic. I'm your typical casual observer who only knows a few players that the media touts.

I love football, I've returned to baseball (which I used the think was boring too), and I will watch basketball. I'm not a fan of an NBA team, and I can't really watch Florida State games enough to be a big FSU basketball fan. Hockey will never be able to relate to me. I live in the South; it is an irrelavant sport. I can understand, like soccer, the beauty and intense interest in the game and it's attributes, but ice in Florida melts in the winter.

yodabear
06-14-2006, 03:26 PM

I gotta agree with this. Even though I've watched almost every game of the WC.

ShutDwn
06-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I know soccer players are tough, and it is physical. But they piss me off so much. They over react all the time, like Manu ginobli bringing that BS to the NBA.

Still, soccer is physical yes, but so is Basketball. It doesn't matter what position you play, it is a ver physical sport.

The field is too big in soccer, nothing freaking happens.

Points in basketball are not worthless because their are so many of them. Because, unlike Soccer, basketball is very fast paced in its scoring system. Sure, they not be huge at the time, but ever point counts, and the flare that players have when scoring them make it worth while.

Basketball also uses more explosion then Soccer.

jets future
06-14-2006, 05:28 PM
I know soccer players are tough, and it is physical. But they piss me off so much. They over react all the time, like Manu ginobli bringing that BS to the NBA.

Still, soccer is physical yes, but so is Basketball. It doesn't matter what position you play, it is a ver physical sport.

Points in basketball are not worthless because their are so many of them. Because, unlike Soccer, basketball is very fast paced in its scoring system. Sure, they not be huge at the time, but ever point counts, and the flare that players have when scoring them make it worth while.

oh FUC**** hell no, basket ball is a finess sport, i can get a 5 year old to tell you basketball is not physical. once you touch some body its a foul. dont say basket ball is physical,

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 05:47 PM

oh FUC**** hell no, basket ball is a finess sport, i can get a 5 year old to tell you basketball is not physical. once you touch some body its a foul. dont say basket ball is physical,

ur ******* ignorant. I think its safe to say you have never played organized basketball in your entire life if you think its not a contact sport. It gets really rough in the paint.

jets future
06-14-2006, 06:04 PM

ur *********** ignorant. I think its safe to say you have never played organized basketball in your entire life if you think its not a contact sport. It gets really rough in the paint.
actually basket ball used to be my favorite sport when i was a kid to watch now its my 2nd fav, and starting to be third,but basket ball is my fav sport to play. why? in the nba it can get a little phsical in the paint but still if you touch a player it still will be foul. see i play basket ball but my freinds play physical especialy because i play with cats who are like four years older than me. nba is a little physical but basket ball is a finess sport.

critesy
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM

ur *********** ignorant. I think its safe to say you have never played organized basketball in your entire life if you think its not a contact sport. It gets really rough in the paint.

people grabbing eachothers balls and such :wink:

ShutDwn
06-14-2006, 06:46 PM

Are you ******* stupid? You don't know **** if you think Basketball is a finess sport. Have you seen Bruce bowen? Have you seen how he defends? Or how about when Dwayne Wade or Allen iverson gets hammered going to the basket? I don't even need to mention post players like Shaq, who are like offensive lineman

just because there are fouls doesn't mean it is a finess sport.

sweetness34
06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
You want to know why goals are more exciting than a dunk or a 3ptr...Because in the NBA you can give up a 3 and very easily get one back on the other end on the next play. You people are telling me that you get excited for all 40 field goals in an NBA Game? I like Basketball and I really only get excited in the 4th Quarter. I like seeing my team score but I don't scream when they nail a 3 in the 2nd Quarter. Points coem ast such a premium in the NBA that you can't get excited about every field goal, well I find it really hard to at least.

In soccer, goals mean so much because you may only see one goal a game. That one goal could be the difference in a game. Therefore as a team, it's so important if you're on defense to keep a clean sheet and if you're on offense capatalizes on every opporutnity you get, because you may only get one good one during the game.

The beauty of soccer doesn't necessarily lie within the header goals or the volley blasts from 40 yards away. It lies on the creativity, the 40 yard runs up the side line, the slide tackles, the battles in the air, and the electricity in the crowd. If you listen to a EPL Game and you listen to the crowd, a simple switching of the ball can bring just about the same noise as an alley-oop in basketball.

In Soccer, a 0-0 game can be just as exciting as a 5-4 game. Goals are great but there are other parts of the game that make it exciting. Hell, just look at the Poland vs Germany game today, 1-0 and it felt like the score was 5-4.

Jimmy
06-14-2006, 08:56 PM

it has its moments

sweetness34
06-14-2006, 08:56 PM
One more thing...

Basketball is the epitamy of an individual sport because an individual team sport can take over a game offensively and keep his team in the game. I can't stand that one on one crap that they do in the NBA now....

In soccer, if you try to dribble through an entire defense you're going to get stuck. Much like Football it's the Ultimate Team sport because you have to rely on your teammates so much.

Whereas with Basketball, you can give one guy the ball and try to outscore another team....

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 09:02 PM

actually basket ball used to be my favorite sport when i was a kid to watch now its my 2nd fav, and starting to be third,but basket ball is my fav sport to play. why? in the nba it can get a little phsical in the paint but still if you touch a player it still will be foul. see i play basket ball but my freinds play physical especialy because i play with cats who are like four years older than me. nba is a little physical but basket ball is a finess sport.

Touching is not a foul. You have no clue. You might have watched it when you were a kid but i 100% gurantee you never played it organized. If you could not touch a player do you realize what would happen? The player could drive and shoot a layup every single time.

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 09:04 PM

people grabbing eachothers balls and such :wink:

Oh that was an intelligent comment? How old are you. 5?

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 09:05 PM
One more thing...

Basketball is the epitamy of an individual sport because an individual team sport can take over a game offensively and keep his team in the game. I can't stand that one on one crap that they do in the NBA now....

In soccer, if you try to dribble through an entire defense you're going to get stuck. Much like Football it's the Ultimate Team sport because you have to rely on your teammates so much.

Whereas with Basketball, you can give one guy the ball and try to outscore another team....

Yeah but the great teams do not have one player that takes over usually. Great teams need 3-4 players that can score consistnently. Like the Pistons a couple years ago.

sweetness34
06-14-2006, 09:06 PM

Touching is not a foul. You have no clue. You might have watched it when you were a kid but i 100% gurantee you never played it organized. If you could not touch a player do you realize what would happen? The player could drive and shoot a layup every single time.

In the NBA it is. The NBA wanted more scoring so they tightened up the foul calls in order to get more free throws. It slows the game down too much and it gets boring to watch at times. Basketball is really good to watch when they let them play. But it seems like everytime I turn it on, someone's shooting a free throw.

Maroney22
06-14-2006, 09:07 PM

In the NBA it is. The NBA wanted more scoring so they tightened up the foul calls in order to get more free throws. It slows the game down too much and it gets boring to watch at times. Basketball is really good to watch when they let them play. But it seems like everytime I turn it on, someone's shooting a free throw.

thats why I prefer college basketball but I still like the NBA. It just pisses me off that this kid is arguing that its a finesse sport when its not.

draftguru151
06-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Rugby>soccer.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-14-2006, 09:28 PM

it has its moments

It does... I'm a fan of breakaway speed, a quick move, then a perfect shot. Love those types of plays.

draftguru151
06-14-2006, 10:03 PM

it has its moments

It does... I'm a fan of breakaway speed, a quick move, then a perfect shot. Love those types of plays.

I think everyone is a fan of those plays. Too bad they never/rarely happen.

SouthernPride396
06-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Soccer is just boring to watch. I know the players have to be amazing atheletes, nothing against them. Players take dives, but that happens in other sports too. Also, as an SEC fan, I can appreciate a 1-score game.

But, its just so boring to watch and even worse because of the length. I've watched 2 games this year trying to figure out whats so special about it, but its still just as boring.

Somebody said earlier that soccer is an 'acquired taste'. Well, hookers have a certain 'acquired taste' for something too.

Gribble
06-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Soccer is just boring to watch. I know the players have to be amazing atheletes, nothing against them. Players take dives, but that happens in other sports too. Also, as an SEC fan, I can appreciate a 1-score game.

But, its just so boring to watch and even worse because of the length. I've watched 2 games this year trying to figure out whats so special about it, but its still just as boring.

Somebody said earlier that soccer is an 'acquired taste'. Well, hookers have a certain 'acquired taste' for something too.

I give you a gold star.

That made my day.

TitleTown088
06-15-2006, 12:40 AM
soccer sucks

CGF 216/137
06-15-2006, 01:32 AM
The packers are not good

true, but to the matter at hand Soccer takes passion, to me I was watching the Germany v poland game today and have but recently calmed back down. I however have been raised around soccer and watching your team try penetrate an opposing D is just nerv wrecking.

70challenger457
06-15-2006, 07:37 AM
soccar is just too much of sally sport for me to be any interested, this is a football forum so I really don't see why were talking about this.

drowe
06-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Rugby>soccer.

competitive eating>soccer

CGF 216/137
06-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Soccer is less of a "sally" sport than Baseball and Basketball. Sure pplayers embellish every foul, but that's the only real knock I have on the game.

draftguru151
06-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Soccer is less of a "sally" sport than Baseball and Basketball. Sure pplayers embellish every foul, but that's the only real knock I have on the game.

What do you mean by sally? You mean like wussie? Cause some baseball players are the "hardest" guys out there, but Rowand destroying his face going after that bal was nice, and Pete Rose was more of a man than any soccer player out there.

CGF 216/137
06-15-2006, 11:39 AM

What do you mean by sally? You mean like wussie? Cause some baseball players are the "hardest" guys out there, but Rowand destroying his face going after that bal was nice, and Pete Rose was more of a man than any soccer player out there.

I'm assuming that's what challenger meant by sally. And I like baseball alot, but Rose isn't more of a man than any player out there. Maybe than Beckham, but Adriano would eat him, literally.

stephenson86
06-15-2006, 11:42 AM
100 8)

Maroney22
06-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Rugby>soccer.

competitive eating>soccer

so very true

TCU
02-28-2007, 08:20 PM
i dont see how anyone can not like soccer but like the NBA or even baseball

Vikes99ej
02-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Was it necassary to bump this?

TCU
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Was it necassary to bump this?

i didnt know it was that far down the list, i was posting in the soccer thread and at the bottom there is a box that said related threads so i saw it and posted in this thread, in no way was i trying to bumb this thread

Vikes99ej
02-28-2007, 09:04 PM
i didnt know it was that far down the list, i was posting in the soccer thread and at the bottom there is a box that said related threads so i saw it and posted in this thread, in no way was i trying to bumb this thread

Oh, sorry. I can see how that would happen. Soccer still annoys me.

sweetness34
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM

EPL soccer isn't boring. MLS is for the casual fan, unless you actually go to the games. You have to know how to watch soccer though b/c there isn't a lot of scoring, and it's not up and down like hockey. You have to appreciate the passing and the ball control, which a lot of people don't and that's a big reason why they find it boring.

Soccer is probably the dirtiest sport though, especially in England. Watch an Aresenal vs Man U game if you can. Talk about attempting to injure someone; guys go in studs up, they throw elbows, etc...

nvot9
03-01-2007, 02:08 PM
How many people on here are tired of seeing all of the stuff about the world cup on ESPN and the newspapers? I try to watch soccer and it is so boring. There is no winning and rarely any big hits or anything. It is wasting ******s on Sportscenter that could be used giving us reports on the real football. I on't have anything against you if you like soccer, though. I just needed some way to vent my frustrations.

I'm really starting to hate Vikings fans not named DHVF. You my friend, are an ignorant buffoon.

Eaglez.Fan
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
How many people on here are tired of seeing all of the stuff about the world cup on ESPN and the newspapers? I try to watch soccer and it is so boring. There is no winning and rarely any big hits or anything. It is wasting ******s on Sportscenter that could be used giving us reports on the real football. I on't have anything against you if you like soccer, though. I just needed some way to vent my frustrations.

Probably because you don't know whats happening. Why the players do this or that, and there is a great deal of strategy that takes place. Playing soccer is fun, I don't think soccer is the most entertaining but it is somewhat entertaining. And when a goal happens it is very big rather then in basketball a basket happens and it's not really much a of a deal.

A-Dub4President
03-01-2007, 02:28 PM
i dont see how anyone can not like soccer but like the NBA or even baseball

I love Basketball and enjoy Baseball... but I don't like soccer at all. Probably because it translates piss poorly to TV. Just not my thing.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm really starting to hate Vikings fans not named DHVF. You my friend, are an ignorant buffoon.

I don't give a **** if you like me or not. I don't need to defend myself for a comment I made almost an entire year ago. I'm sorry. Not everyone can be classy sophisticate like you guy.

dabears10
03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Soccer is boring if you watch only highlights of games in my opinion. However, watching a game in full is much more thrilling and exillarating than anyother sport on earth.

RWFender1
03-01-2007, 04:31 PM
soccer is awesome. most people dont have patience to see the build up and skill leading towards scoring a single point. they'd rather watch NBA games where scoring a point is virtually worthless and scores run up to like 90 points. to me that is boring. ill take soccer over baseball or basketball anyday.

etk
03-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Who bumped this stupid thread? Soccer is awesome people just don't give it a chance. Try having to see hockey highlights and analysis around the clock on TSN Sportscenter. I get to see no football or soccer, ever.

nvot9
03-01-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't give a **** if you like me or not. I don't need to defend myself for a comment I made almost an entire year ago. I'm sorry. Not everyone can be classy sophisticate like you guy.

I'm glad you don't, because if you did care what I think, you'd be a sad man. That first comment still cracks me up...so ignorant...

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Anybody who doesn't like soccer should go play a few games with some good players and when you realize the amount of skill that goes into playing the game well you'll have a new appreciation for the game and for what the elite players are able to do. There's a reason soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world.

someone447
03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
For me, soccer is a lot like baseball. I don't find either of them particularly exciting. I will watch the world cup, and I used to watch the baseball playoffs(and will again when bud selig is gone, DAMN THE TIE ALLSTAR GAME I WAS AT!!!) I would also guess that soccer is a lot more exciting in person than on tv. Just like baseball. I can watch both football and basketball on TV.

Hockey I just never watch, maybe because I can't skate? I can play all the other sports competently, but hockey I fall on my ass as soon as I get the skates on, so I think it sucks just as much as soccer.

someone447
03-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Anybody who doesn't like soccer should go play a few games with some good players and when you realize the amount of skill that goes into playing the game well you'll have a new appreciation for the game and for what the elite players are able to do. There's a reason soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world.

Anybody who doesn't like glassblowing should go blow some glass with some good artists and when you realize the amount of skill that goes into blowing glass well you'll have a new appreciation for glass blowing and for what the elite artists are able to do.

That isn't a very good reason to like soccer. I know that Soccer is a tough sport, I still find it really boring.

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Anybody who doesn't like glassblowing should go blow some glass with some good artists and when you realize the amount of skill that goes into blowing glass well you'll have a new appreciation for glass blowing and for what the elite artists are able to do.

That isn't a very good reason to like soccer. I know that Soccer is a tough sport, I still find it really boring.

Sure it is. People are afraid of what they don't understand, maybe if they weren't so ignorant they could legitimately find enjoyment. BTW, glass blowing is amazing.

rchrd
03-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I dont want to carry on a year old thread but that first post is pretty funny (from my perspective at least). It's very...http://www.veoh.com/videos/v248931hssHN8K3

TH3
03-01-2007, 06:36 PM

thats not the only type of blowing you are an expert in ....

Damix
03-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Does the maker of this thread realize the "real" football is soccer?

njx9
03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
soccer is an entirely worthless sport, and i'm honestly disappointed in every single person who posted in this thread trying to argue that it's actually really awesome and everyone should like it.

like you all say every time someone jumps into your thread: if you like the sport, don't post in this thread. it's pretty bloody simple. i hear the pot calling several of you.

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I dont want to carry on a year old thread but that first post is pretty funny (from my perspective at least). It's very...http://www.veoh.com/videos/v248931hssHN8K3

haha, that's equally hilarious and frightening.

sweetness34
03-01-2007, 08:01 PM
soccer is an entirely worthless sport, and i'm honestly disappointed in every single person who posted in this thread trying to argue that it's actually really awesome and everyone should like it.

like you all say every time someone jumps into your thread: if you like the sport, don't post in this thread. it's pretty bloody simple. i hear the pot calling several of you.

I never called someone stupid or dumb if they didn't like Soccer, but I disagree with them. But hey, people here love baseball, and I personally think it's like watching paint dry.

I love the sport. I played it for 4 years in High School (and possibly next year in college).

If you don't like soccer, hey that's your thing. But I have the right to voice my opinion in this thread as long as I don't attack people.

The thread isn't title, "Only post here if you don't like soccer" thread. I do agree though that there's no point in going after someone on their opinion.

I mean, there's a reason why it's the most popular sport in the world, by faaaar. So I guess it's not completely worthless. I'm sure a majority of the world thinks baseball is pointless and boring to watch too.

njx9
03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I never called someone stupid or dumb if they didn't like Soccer, but I disagree with them. But hey, people here love baseball, and I personally think it's like watching paint dry.

I love the sport. I played it for 4 years in High School (and possibly next year in college).

If you don't like soccer, hey that's your thing. But I have the right to voice my opinion in this thread as long as I don't attack people.

The thread isn't title, "Only post here if you don't like soccer" thread. I do agree though that there's no point in going after someone on their opinion.

I mean, there's a reason why it's the most popular sport in the world, by faaaar. So I guess it's not completely worthless. I'm sure a majority of the world thinks baseball is pointless and boring to watch too.

i couldn't care less what people think of soccer. but it's utterly pathetic that anytime someone comes into say, the nascar thread, to say they don't like the sport, people scream bloody murder about how they should stay out. i'm applying the same logic here. either stay out of the thread, or don't whine when someone comes into the soccer thread and says it's not a sport.

also, vince, that's pathetic. respond in the thread if you have something to say, otherwise stop trying to hide behind the rep function just because you thought posting about how much you love soccer in a "i hate soccer" thread was worthwhile.

sweetness34
03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
i couldn't care less what people think of soccer. but it's utterly pathetic that anytime someone comes into say, the nascar thread, to say they don't like the sport, people scream bloody murder about how they should stay out. i'm applying the same logic here. either stay out of the thread, or don't whine when someone comes into the soccer thread and says it's not a sport.

also, vince, that's pathetic. respond in the thread if you have something to say, otherwise stop trying to hide behind the rep function just because you thought posting about how much you love soccer in a "i hate soccer" thread was worthwhile.

I never whined about it. I just stated my opinion.

If you don't like soccer, again, that's your opinion. And I'm not going to cry foul if you say something bad about it.

njx9
03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
I never whined about it. I just stated my opinion.

If you don't like soccer, again, that's your opinion. And I'm not going to cry foul if you say something bad about it.

then you're in the minority as far as these threads go.

as if my previous record weren't a good example, i don't particularly care. i'd rather people post on both sides in any given thread.

Windy
03-01-2007, 08:26 PM
to each his own. i love soccer and i was lucky enough to go to euro 2004 and it was one of the best experiences i've had.

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM

I'm not trying to hide behind anything, I just know how futile it is to argue with you since I know you're not gonna change your opinion on the matter.

soccer is an entirely worthless sport

Several billion people would disagree with you on this comment. I don't think I really need to waste my time trying to convince you to think otherwise, because honestly I don't care if you like soccer or not. I disagreed with this comment though and thought it was very close minded that's why I rep'd you, after all that's what the system is for right? ;P

RWFender1
03-01-2007, 08:39 PM
soccer rules...i wish it was more appreciated in the US. the entire world cant be wrong

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 08:39 PM

C'mon Njx9, you're being ignorant. Don't be so ignorant. Why are you being so ignorant? Because, according to all these un-ignorant soccer fans, if you don't enjoy soccer you're ignorant.

njx9
03-01-2007, 08:43 PM
it's my opinion that, if you disagree, i want to know why. if it's simply because you disagree with me about the worthwhileness of soccer, that's one thing. it seemed more directed at the rest of the comment.

and several billion people dig chinese socialism. i know you've got something better (i can't be convinced it's entertaining, just like you can't be convinced it isn't, but i CAN be convinced it isn't completely useless).

TH3
03-01-2007, 08:45 PM
it's my opinion that, if you disagree, i want to know why. if it's simply because you disagree with me about the worthwhileness of soccer, that's one thing. it seemed more directed at the rest of the comment.

and several billion people dig chinese socialism. i know you've got something better (i can't be convinced it's entertaining, just like you can't be convinced it isn't, but i CAN be convinced it isn't completely useless).

Well.... if we get the 2014 WC and it brings in revenue to the country... that would be worth.... therefor having a use... boosting the economy

Windy
03-01-2007, 08:47 PM
We'll probably get 2018. 2014 will be in South America, most likely Brazil.

njx9
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
i hear an IF in that statement. i know you guys can be more concrete.

(and maybe less literal)

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM

My disagreement was with the part of your comment that I just quoted (i.e. the worthwhileness of soccer ).

I can understand the other point of view although I also disagree with that to an extent because I think your logic is flawed.

IMO there is a difference between someone going into a thread to flame people who are just discussing a topic that they are genuinely interested in, opposed to someone creating a thread thats whole purpose is to flame a group or subject and then having them get upset when people reply to defend said group or subject. By your logic I should be able to create a thread that's titled "Anybody who likes baseball is an asshat" and expect that the boards baseball fans cannot reply in defense of their beloved game.

TH3
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
My disagreement was with the part of your comment that I just quoted (i.e. the worthwhileness of soccer ).

I can understand the other point of view although I also disagree with that to an extent because I think your logic is flawed.

IMO there is a difference between someone going into a thread to flame people who are just discussing a topic that they are genuinely interested in, opposed to someone creating a thread thats whole purpose is to flame a group or subject and then having them get upset when people reply to defend said group or subject. By your logic I should be able to create a thread that's titled "Anybody who likes baseball is an asshat" and expect that the boards baseball fans cannot reply in defense of their beloved game.

Yes... a "baseball annoys the piss out of me" thread would surely draw some harsh critics...

Bigbadbob72
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
it sucks and it is boring.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Yes... a "baseball annoys the piss out of me" thread would surely draw some harsh critics...

Baseball and Soccer are two COMPLETELY different sports. Don't even get me started.

TH3
03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Baseball and Soccer are two COMPLETELY different sports. Don't even get me started.

no no... why are they so different sir??

someone447
03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Sure it is. People are afraid of what they don't understand, maybe if they weren't so ignorant they could legitimately find enjoyment. BTW, glass blowing is amazing.

Oh, I know glass blowing is amazing. It is really cool how they do it. I probably should have said curling. But, I digress.

The fact that it takes skill does not make it a reason to enjoy watching it. Computer programming takes skill, would you want watch that? I have tried watching soccer, and I honestly don't like it. I find it incredibly boring. I have quite a few friends that used to play soccer in high school, and I let them know how boring I thought it was at every opportunity. Many of them said the same to me about baseball. Granted, that seal bounce thing that one guy does is absolutely amazing, but I am not enthralled by passing, which is probably the same reason I don't like hockey.

But I LOVE good defensive basketball teams, probably because I am a Badger fan, and we all know how they used to be in the late 90s. If a team scored over 50 it was a disappointment for them.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 09:16 PM
no no... why are they so different sir??

Do I need to make a thread asking how the sports fans of America differentiate MLB from Soccer? The two sports are different levels, and will be probably forever.

TH3
03-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Do I need to make a thread asking how the sports fans of America differentiate MLB from Soccer? The two sports are different levels, and will be probably forever.

so because americans love baseball and not soccer it makes baseball greater

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Oh, I know glass blowing is amazing. It is really cool how they do it. I probably should have said curling. But, I digress.

The fact that it takes skill does not make it a reason to enjoy watching it. Computer programming takes skill, would you want watch that? I have tried watching soccer, and I honestly don't like it. I find it incredibly boring. I have quite a few friends that used to play soccer in high school, and I let them know how boring I thought it was at every opportunity. Many of them said the same to me about baseball. Granted, that seal bounce thing that one guy does is absolutely amazing, but I am not enthralled by passing, which is probably the same reason I don't like hockey.

But I LOVE good defensive basketball teams, probably because I am a Badger fan, and we all know how they used to be in the late 90s. If a team scored over 50 it was a disappointment for them.

I never said that the fact that it takes skill is why they should like it. Pretty much any profession takes skill to be at the top. I said that if they played the game for themselves so they could get a realistic idea of how difficult it really is then maybe they could have a newfound appreciation for it, which may even lead to them enjoying watching it.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 09:21 PM
so because americans love baseball and not soccer it makes baseball greater

I didn't say that. I said the two sports experience different popularity levels in this country.

TH3
03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I didn't say that. I said the two sports experience different popularity levels in this country.

where have i ever argued otherwise...

sweetness34
03-01-2007, 09:27 PM

And baseball doesn't hold a candle to soccer's popularity in the rest of the world.

Soccer is becoming more and more popular in the US. There's been a youth movement with the amount of youngsters picking up the game. And a lot of that has to do with the success of the 2002 team. Just in my area alone the amount of kids 10 years of age and under playing soccer went up like 50% or something like that from what I read.

With Beckham coing over here now, it'll grow even more because we actually have a big name guy playing in America. No one really thought the MLS was going to last long in America, but it's popularity level has really risen. And each year a new team is building their own stadium.

I think 10-15 years down the road, Soccer could be on the heels of a sport like baseball popularity wise. But it all hinges on how well our US team does in the next two World Cups and how much the MLS can grow in that time.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 09:29 PM

That gave me the feeling you were comparing the two.

Vince Lombardi
03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
That gave me the feeling you were comparing the two.

In all fairness baseball does annoy the piss out of me, but I'm not gonna create a thread about that, and if I did I certainly wouldn't be naive enough to think that the baseball fans here aren't gonna react negatively to it.

njx9
03-01-2007, 11:31 PM

but again, in your example, you're explicity calling out fans of baseball for being "asshats", whereas in this thread, it was one guy expressing his frustration that espn (iirc) is actually showing soccer crap now. if the thread had been titled "everyone who likes soccer is a raving lunatic" that would've been one thing. it also would've been different if your example was "why ESPN has no business showing spirng training crap when there's already 162 worthless regular season games for them to over-report".

Mr. Stiller
03-02-2007, 12:26 AM
but again, in your example, you're explicity calling out fans of baseball for being "asshats", whereas in this thread, it was one guy expressing his frustration that espn (iirc) is actually showing soccer crap now. if the thread had been titled "everyone who likes soccer is a raving lunatic" that would've been one thing. it also would've been different if your example was "why ESPN has no business showing spirng training crap when there's already 162 worthless regular season games for them to over-report".

Wow, ESPN is actually airing soccer games? I had to get FoxSports and the Euro Soccer channel to watch anything.

They Cover basketball, Golf, Football, Baseball and Hockey and the very few times they cover soccer, theres a complaint. I wonder what would happen if they covered Cricket. Not a fan myself, but it's an agitating game at times. But I'm glad I got the new Channels because Aussie Rules Football and EuroSoccer are awesome.

Mr. Stiller
03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
And baseball doesn't hold a candle to soccer's popularity in the rest of the world.

Soccer is becoming more and more popular in the US. There's been a youth movement with the amount of youngsters picking up the game. And a lot of that has to do with the success of the 2002 team. Just in my area alone the amount of kids 10 years of age and under playing soccer went up like 50% or something like that from what I read.

With Beckham coing over here now, it'll grow even more because we actually have a big name guy playing in America. No one really thought the MLS was going to last long in America, but it's popularity level has really risen. And each year a new team is building their own stadium.

I think 10-15 years down the road, Soccer could be on the heels of a sport like baseball popularity wise. But it all hinges on how well our US team does in the next two World Cups and how much the MLS can grow in that time.

Well with players like Freddy Adu, who's like 15 now.. he made the D.C. United Squad at 13. He's going to be a sick soccer player. Not to mention as you did Beckham. But reports show that another well known player Edgar Davids might be heading over as well as some other prominent Euro League players. It's only a matter of time before we get a team to the finals and win. I think our hold back now, is honestly coaching. With the abundance of youth and talent the US is grooming now, he doesn't put players or use alignments to help the team succeed, he's to hard headed. Especially not bringing back Will Friedel after his monster performance that helped us into the qualifiers only to lose to Michael Ballack and Germany.

njx9
03-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Wow, ESPN is actually airing soccer games?

just ads until beckham starts playing, i think.

They Cover basketball, Golf, Football, Baseball and Hockey and the very few times they cover soccer, theres a complaint. I wonder what would happen if they covered Cricket. Not a fan myself, but it's an agitating game at times. But I'm glad I got the new Channels because Aussie Rules Football and EuroSoccer are awesome.

oh come on. i complain every time they cover bowling and golf and nascar, too. i don't think they could ever cover an 18 hour cricket match with any degree of straight face.

sweetness34
03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Well with players like Freddy Adu, who's like 15 now.. he made the D.C. United Squad at 13. He's going to be a sick soccer player. Not to mention as you did Beckham. But reports show that another well known player Edgar Davids might be heading over as well as some other prominent Euro League players. It's only a matter of time before we get a team to the finals and win. I think our hold back now, is honestly coaching. With the abundance of youth and talent the US is grooming now, he doesn't put players or use alignments to help the team succeed, he's to hard headed. Especially not bringing back Will Friedel after his monster performance that helped us into the qualifiers only to lose to Michael Ballack and Germany.

I think you mean Brad Freidel, but it's ok. Anywho, Brad was way too old to bring back, and Keller is one of the best GK's in the world. Kasey deserved a shot, and he was awesome in the WC.

Timmy Howard, who plays over the EPL right now will be our GK in 2010. And he's near his 30's right now I believe. So we're good for at least 2 more WC's. He's a world class caliber goalie; he's got the tools, but he suffers from mental lapses due to a disorder. And that's his only drawback.

We've got some bright young stars over here (Beasley, Donovan, Gooch, Barrett, Szetela, Gavin, Spector, Wynn, Dempsey, Johnson, Feilhaber, etc...) and from what I've been hearing, the younger kids right now have been playing with and outplaying the kids over in Europe at camps and things like that.

I think we've still got a ways to go before we'll smell the finals of the WC, but things are on the up and up right now. We've proven we can play with the likes of Italy, Germany, and Portugal. I'd say by 2020 we'll be right there with the likes of England, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Germany, France, et...

But yes I'll agree that coaching is the problem, as it was in the WC this year. I do like Bradley however. I think he'll do wonders for our National Team. He's a great X's and O's guy and he preaches fundamentals, something we lacked in the WC. He's succeeded everywhere he's been in the MLS, and he just led us to a 2-0 win over Mexico last month. Klinsmen (sp?) was my first choice but I'll gladly take Bradley.

Vince Lombardi
03-02-2007, 12:53 PM

Well you're just nitpicking now. My point still remains, if I were to create a thread called "baseball sucks and is the most boring game on earth" all the fans on the board would jump all over me and try to tear my head off for bashing a sport they love.

Oh, and Sweetness, don't rule out Klinnsman just quite yet.... Bradley's done a good job up to this point and if he keeps it up they may just remove his interim tag, but if the team starts to struggle they may be able to make another push and convince Klinnsman. Neither side has completely ruled it out yet.

NYmoney
03-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Well you're just nitpicking now. My point still remains, if I were to create a thread called "baseball sucks and is the most boring game on earth" all the fans on the board would jump all over me and try to tear my head off for bashing a sport they love.

Oh, and Sweetness, don't rule out Klinnsman just quite yet.... Bradley's done a good job up to this point and if he keeps it up they may just remove his interim tag, but if the team starts to struggle they may be able to make another push and convince Klinnsman. Neither side has completely ruled it out yet.

Klinnsman is 100% out. No chance. Bradley deserves the job.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2007, 01:50 PM
As far as I'm concerned, America has three primary sports: football, baseball, and basketball (maybe hockey, too). The MLS is on the same level as the World Series of Poker, boxing, billiards, and professional masturbating.

Vince Lombardi
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
As far as I'm concerned, America has three primary sports: football, baseball, and basketball (maybe hockey, too). The MLS is on the same level as the World Series of Poker, boxing, billiards, and professional masturbating.

MLS isn't shiite, the elite soccer leagues far surpass football, baseball, and basketball in popularity.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2007, 02:21 PM
MLS isn't shiite, the elite soccer leagues far surpass football, baseball, and basketball in popularity.

In America, AMERICA. Let's talk about how popular the Euro is then.

TH3
03-02-2007, 02:36 PM
that's because they're insecure and weak and can't take criticism of their sport. what do you think would happen if someone posted to the NFL board that the nfl is worthless? they'd be laughed at. they wouldn't inspire 152 passionate responses about why they're wrong because no one on this site is insecure about their love for football.

on the other hand, the instant this thread was even bumped back up, 247 people had to jump in to explain why soccer really is this excellent game. i mean, what if someone didn't like it and thought it was boring!?!?!?!??!??!?? OMFG!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, it really does seem that weak to me.

1st your argument is flawed... posting how football is dumb on a football board is not at all like posting about how dumb soccer is on a football board. If I were to go to a soccer board and post how boring the NFL is the NFL fans would stand up and defend there sport... or if we were to bash baseball on a football board the exact same thing would happen.... the minority would stand up and defend their sport...

2nd why is it wrong for us to explain that soccer is a excellent game... but ok for people to make a thread saying how boring it is... if they have the right to complain we have the right to defend...

TH3
03-02-2007, 02:44 PM
In America, AMERICA. Let's talk about how popular the Euro is then.

OK WE GET IT AMERICA HATES SOCCER.... the topic at hand is one dealing with the game as a whole, soccer is much more than a single league. MLB NHL NBA NFL do not play outside of there own league and are in reality the only truely competitve leagues. In soccer you have MANY league with top level teams and they play each other.... the game of soccer as a whole encompases more than the NFL NBA AND NHL can do put together.

TitleTown088
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
ahhh... about time some one started this thread.

Vince Lombardi
03-02-2007, 02:59 PM
It's funny that njx9's argument gets shot down, so instead he resorts to insults. Very classy. :rolleyes:

comahan
03-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I enjoy soccer. I wish i could watch more of it, but I dont get most of the channels that carry good soccer, oh well.

Vince Lombardi
03-02-2007, 03:04 PM
i don't recall my arguments getting shot down OR resorting to insults, but that's cool. again, why do you take it SO personally that people don't like soccer? like i said in the last post, i don't take it personally that people don't like hockey. i couldn't care less.

You mistake insecurity & weakness for passion, big difference.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I honestly do not care if the rest of the world likes soccer. Good for them. The U.S. is completely different from any other country on the planet.

Vince Lombardi
03-02-2007, 03:26 PM
I honestly do not care if the rest of the world likes soccer. Good for them. The U.S. is completely different from any other country on the planet.

Ah, good ole US ignorance blinders. You gotta love it.

"If you dont like it then you can jest git out!"
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4575/redneckjs8.jpg

And njx, I never said that people aren't allowed to dislike soccer. My whole point was that if somebody is gonna post a thread talking about something that they hate (especially if it's the most popular sport in the world) you can't reasonably expect that nobody is going to post in that thread and disagree. Anyways, it's clear that this is going nowhere so I'll just be on my way. Cheers.

nvot9
03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Wow, Vince is so damn right, it's just funny to read any other argument. It's cool that you don't like soccer, w/e, I'm not a HUGE football fan like most of you, we all have differences, but please, tell me how soccer is bad? Because you don't like it, it's all of a sudden a bad sport?

Vikes99ej
03-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Thank you for bumping this. Thank you.

nvot9
03-04-2007, 01:18 PM
No problem, thanks for not being able to come up with a good answer, so instead give me some ******** response, thank you. Jack ass.

Vikes99ej
03-04-2007, 01:44 PM
No problem, thanks for not being able to come up with a good answer, so instead give me some ******** response, thank you. Jack ass.

If you want my opinions go look through the last few pages of this thread. I don't feel like repeating myself.

NittanyBo
03-04-2007, 02:01 PM
I've played soccer since I was 4 and I guess thats why I enjoy it.

Soccer is thrilling to watch...live. Its like Baseball. I enjoy baseball but only if I'm at the game. I can't sit down and watch baseball because its just to boring to watch on TV. Same goes for Hockey. Even though out of the three Hockey is the easiest to watch out home.

ccB
03-04-2007, 02:02 PM
VIkes and Novt either play nice or I will lock the thread.

NittanyBo
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Geeez you guys take this to seriously.

lol Its suppose to be fun.

Vikes99ej
03-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry, Charm City. I just got a little frustrated.

casskid
04-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Everyone who complains about soccer being boring is going to watch all 92 hours of the draft this weekend right? Youre trying to tell me that watching the draft unfold in real time is less boring then a soccer match. But ooooooooooooohhh the trades and picks. You could get the same satisifaction out of reading what happens in the first 3 rounds in 10 mins as watching the picks for 10 hours.

Ive played all the major sports and to me soccer is the best. Soccer is just so challenging mentally and physically that its hard to compare it to anyother sport. You only have to think about one play at a time, and even then what you're supposed to do is dictated to you by your coach. In soccer the its up to the players to fill out the coachs philosophy with their own play.
Soccer also has the best high lights. Many football high lights are the same thing;one handed touchdown grabs and some ones helmet being knocked off/or flipped over. Each player has a unique style and its rare you se the same move twice. If you havent played the sport its impossible to understand just how amazing the professional athletes are, and when they come up with spectacular goals or fakes its truly breathtaking. I dont like to watch hockey but I appreciate how difficult it is doing everything on ice.

Playing styles also are more varied and interesting then in the NFL. But i also prefer the NCAA to the NFL because the NCAA is more daring with its approach to how you should play the game. Same thing with college vs the NBA.

I guess if you never played soccer then its impossible to understand how much fun it is. I cant knock you for it, but dont say that soccer is boring or wussy because you dont understand it.

thule
04-24-2007, 11:10 AM
You do realize your on a draft site right? Maybe you forgot and thought you were on a soccer site.

You've played all the sports..but what gives you the right to say soccer is the best. I've played all the sports and think baseballs the best. Baseball is so challenging mentally and physically. But unlike your shallow mind I won't be as bold as to say it's hard to compare it to another sport. Every sport you have to think on play at a time. What sport isn't dictated to you by your coach come on man...thats what coaches do. Soccer has the best highlights.....it's clear to see that you have a personal opinion...but these are weak arguemental points..you can't back up personal appealing things with facts. Sayig I like or It's the best get you no where. Each player has a unique style...geez lets see here how many different batting styles are there...pitching delieveries...you need to open your eyes man. I mean once again I"ll argue your point...if you haven't played baseball it is impossible to understand just how amazing the professional athletes are, and when they come up with spectacular catches or homeruns its truly breathtaking. Your points are bland and biased...

Just admit it..your a fan of soccer..but don't say it is any different or harder than another sport.

neko4
04-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Everyone who complains about soccer being boring is going to watch all 92 hours of the draft this weekend right? Youre trying to tell me that watching the draft unfold in real time is less boring then a soccer match. But ooooooooooooohhh the trades and picks. You could get the same satisifaction out of reading what happens in the first 3 rounds in 10 mins as watching the picks for 10 hours.

Ive played all the major sports and to me soccer is the best. Soccer is just so challenging mentally and physically that its hard to compare it to anyother sport. You only have to think about one play at a time, and even then what you're supposed to do is dictated to you by your coach. In soccer the its up to the players to fill out the coachs philosophy with their own play.
Soccer also has the best high lights. Many football high lights are the same thing;one handed touchdown grabs and some ones helmet being knocked off/or flipped over. Each player has a unique style and its rare you se the same move twice. If you havent played the sport its impossible to understand just how amazing the professional athletes are, and when they come up with spectacular goals or fakes its truly breathtaking. I dont like to watch hockey but I appreciate how difficult it is doing everything on ice.

Playing styles also are more varied and interesting then in the NFL. But i also prefer the NCAA to the NFL because the NCAA is more daring with its approach to how you should play the game. Same thing with college vs the NBA.

I guess if you never played soccer then its impossible to understand how much fun it is. I cant knock you for it, but dont say that soccer is boring or wussy because you dont understand it.

And soccer is any different? Their highlights are bunch of head ins and backward kicks. Plus how can you say everyone in the NFL has the same style. If youve ever compared Reggie Bush to Laddanian Tomlinson you'd find their very different. Or Peyton Manning to Michael Vick. VInce Young is one of the few QB's who throws sidearmed, thats different isnt it?

Moses
04-24-2007, 11:23 AM
How are people debating over what is better to watch? That's like debating what colour is the best. Soccer may be boring to some people, but a ton of people around the globe find it very exciting. Football is beloved in America and is starting to gain a bigger internation following.

Moses
04-24-2007, 11:28 AM
what's a "colour"?

It's how everybody except Americans spell "color".

thule
04-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I'll debate colours with anyone.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I've got only one thing to add and sorry if it has already been mentioned. I find it hilarious when a players get taken off on a stretcher after a minor injury and then come running into the game a few minutes later.

Vikes99ej
04-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm sooooo glad someone bumped this thread!!!

casskid
04-24-2007, 12:46 PM
When I said everyone in the NFL plays the same style I meant system wise. The number of systems in soccer far outweigh those used in football, its just a fact. I just like seeing how certain aspects of the cover 2 vs a 3-4 work, but with soccer i have pretty much unlimited permutaions of completley different systems that have evolved for years. NFL teams also seem to be alot less daring then any other professional or amateur sport in America.

My main complaint with baseball is two fold, first there is simply to much downtime. Second, when was the last time we saw a player revolutionize the whole game for the better? The biggest player, as in the one who garners most of the headlines, in baseball right now (Barry Bonds) and along with some others (McQuire, Sosa) have ushered in a new era of walks, which makes baseball even more difficult to watch. Baseball and soccer are probably the closest comparison in how it polarizes fans. If you dont know the ins and outs of the sport you cant really get into it. Ive heard die hard baseball talk about how pitchers set up hitters every at bat and how the infield shifts and all the other stuff that I couldnt care less about, but then they turn around and knock soccer for the same subtetly. But while those mental aspects are interesting, there just isnt enough action. I remember a study that said 80% of baseball is standing around and i dont think anyone can honestly say thats not right. Soccer combines the mental aspects of baseball with the physical demands of the other major sports (basketball, football, hockey). I guess my point was that for me soccer works best, but ive tried to give everything else a fair shot.

And yes Americans have been exposed to some pretty bad soccer, so i understand why people would hate it (blame the Italians for it, even I cant watch Italian soccer).

drowe
04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
in my high school, soccer was for the dudes that couldn't make the real football team.

and, yes, soccer is more boring than the NFL Draft. hell, soccer is more boring than the WNBA Draft. just one dude's opinion. but, i'd rather watch a middle age dude read off names than watch a bunch of euro trash make one exciting play in 90 minutes. oh, and the whole "goooooooooooaaaaaaaalllllllllllll" thing: way tired.

now, if they televised the soccer riots, i'd watch in a heartbeat.

DChess
04-24-2007, 01:49 PM
im sorry but unless your going to go play in Europe (less than .5 percent do) than its for guys who couldn't really play other sports, so they played soccer. in our school if you blew at football baseball and bball you either participated in swimming, tennis, track or soccer. i remember this one kid got cut formt he baseball team and the next day joined the tennis team, a junior on jv, thats laughable

casskid
04-24-2007, 02:02 PM
It was the complete opposite at my high school. We had a consistent top 25 football team and a consistent top 10 soccer team and alot of times the soccer team out drew the football team. My school had 6,000 kids at it, so I guess there was enough talent to around for all the teams. Actually the soccer teams were much more selective then the football teams. If you couldnt cut it in soccer you went to play football. And if they broadcasted baseball brawls I would tune into baseball in a heartbeat.

neko4
04-24-2007, 02:35 PM
im sorry but unless your going to go play in Europe (less than .5 percent do) than its for guys who couldn't really play other sports, so they played soccer. in our school if you blew at football baseball and bball you either participated in swimming, tennis, track or soccer. i remember this one kid got cut formt he baseball team and the next day joined the tennis team, a junior on jv, thats laughable
You cant even be a junior on jv in VA

neko4
04-24-2007, 02:37 PM
in my high school, soccer was for the dudes that couldn't make the real football team.

and, yes, soccer is more boring than the NFL Draft. hell, soccer is more boring than the WNBA Draft. just one dude's opinion. but, i'd rather watch a middle age dude read off names than watch a bunch of euro trash make one exciting play in 90 minutes. oh, and the whole "goooooooooooaaaaaaaalllllllllllll" thing: way tired.

now, if they televised the soccer riots, i'd watch in a heartbeat.

It was the complete opposite at my high school. We had a consistent top 25 football team and a consistent top 10 soccer team and alot of times the soccer team out drew the football team. My school had 6,000 kids at it, so I guess there was enough talent to around for all the teams. Actually the soccer teams were much more selective then the football teams. If you couldnt cut it in soccer you went to play football. And if they broadcasted baseball brawls I would tune into baseball in a heartbeat.

I think on the matter of who draws more players, that has to do w/ suceess. The football team at my high school hasnt been good for awhile so has failed to draw more people. But we went 5-5 this year and the size went up 20% or so

AdrianWilson12
04-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't normally endorse this thread, but Manchester Uniteds unbelieveable luck is certainly annoying me. Given that I hate them with a intensity I've yet to direct at anything else, I guess this is the better place to rant.

cunningham06
04-24-2007, 07:53 PM
ESPN "Deportes" is the ******* gayest thing ever. Did anyone besides me hear the Deportes coverage of some baseball game?(sorry don't remember which one) It was awful just lots of muttering in spanish then shouting the equivalent of homerun just like they shout GOOAALLLLL!! The last thing we need is more soccer like commentary in the USA.

Space Ghost
04-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Soccer is inferior to Rugby. Rugby > Soccer. Soccer licks bif.

This is obvious when the highlight videos are as follows:

Soccer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=K60mAc89w-Y

Rugby: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tc0Ut5y-GRc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nYyoHgdRFtw

As I originally stated, Soccer is inferior to Rugby. Rugby > Soccer. Soccer licks bif.

I think those videos clearly show why real men play rugby.
http://www.uglyfootballers.com/content/images/rogues/injuries/images/injury08.jpg

and why soccer is for, well...:
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/301377/2/istockphoto_301377_active_little_girl_playing_socc er.jpg

The most contact you see in a soccer game:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/irishkorean/owned_soccer.jpg

The least contact you see in a rugby game is about one of these:
http://www.sportsphotography.net/portfolio/rugby.jpg

You could get lucky and see one of these though: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MhvdeGjZDYE

Space Ghost
04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Rugby>soccer.

QFT. For Explanation see my other post.

Vikes99ej
04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Rugby is the shizz.