PDA

View Full Version : Aldon Smith, DE / OLB, Missouri

bucfan12
01-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey, as a Bucs fan, I am evaluating and looking for some insight on some DE prospects. Aldon Smith is one guy I have seen on insider reports of the Bucs scouting heavily during the offseason. I know this guy is super talented, but seems a bit raw. Anyone watch/seen him play? Any scouting reports?

Thanks.

Scott Wright
01-03-2011, 02:54 AM
I wrote a blog entry about this guy back on October 4:

http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/10/get-to-know-aldon-smith/

FUNBUNCHER
01-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Reminds me of JPP.

bucfan12
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM
What is your take on him now? That article has been posted 3 months ago though.

brasho
01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Not as productive as you would like, but he has an excellent get-off... but the most impressive thing for me is that several times he submarined his blocker to get a shot at the ball carrier and on two different occasions (iin his bowl game) really displayed violent, powerful hands, knocking his OL aside. I'm far more impressed with Smith than Iowa's Clayborn, who looks like a 3T or 5T at best.

bucfan12
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Not as productive as you would like, but he has an excellent get-off... but the most impressive thing for me is that several times he submarined his blocker to get a shot at the ball carrier and on two different occasions (iin his bowl game) really displayed violent, powerful hands, knocking his OL aside. I'm far more impressed with Smith than Iowa's Clayborn, who looks like a 3T or 5T at best.

I like SMith too, but I still think he's too raw to be successful at the NFL level in 2011. I think he needs another year at the college ranks. Some RS sophomores don't succeed in the NFL because they make the jump to quickly and not ready. Aaron Maybin is a prime example. Not sure about Smith's maturity issues and personality, as that has a lot to do when making that jump besides the development as a player.

RealityCheck
01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
I want him with the #33 overall pick.

Scott Wright
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I am a huge Smith fan. A Top 15-20 overall talent if he comes out this year.

In fact, I like him so much he could even be my #3 draft-eligible defensive end.

ToldLikeItIs
01-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Reiff absolutely contained him all game in the insight bowl.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Just ship Reiff right to the HoF, IMO.

shabazz916
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
he will be a buc

armageddon
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
with Gabbert gone, I am sure Smith will follow.

brasho
01-03-2011, 05:13 PM

No he didn't. Smith had some good rushes, and he was probably the one that got absolutely trashed twice by a hard right hand to the shoulder.

All I've focused on during EVERY single bowl game which I've DVRed and watched (except SMU-Army---or was it GTech-Navy... any way) is DE and LB play.... and Smith looked very good in the game, he was far stronger than I thought he'd be and his get-off was as good as expected. He looked very good to me.

PTPaQ
01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I guess you could say Reiff 'contained' him but I attribute that more to Iowa's game plan and success on the ground. There were several plays where Smith just tossed him to the side and either blew up a run play or got to the QB's face. He was actually quite impressive with his toughness against the run, and we all know about his edge speed but his inside move was a huge success against Reiff. I take Aldon right behind Robert Quinn when it comes to rushing off the edge (3-4 OLB).

ChiFan24
01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
He really just gets by on his athleticism at this point, doesn't have much of a pass rushing repertoire, but there is too much potential for him to slip out of the first round. He's 6-5 260 with a great first step and can probably afford to put on more weight.

RaiderNation
01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
In the current mock I have, I have Smith as a top 15 pick. I think this guy will really boost his draft stock at the combine. In some ways reminds me of Pierre-Paul and could have a good workouts to help his stock.

ToldLikeItIs
01-04-2011, 12:14 PM
He did well against the run?

We ran for 230 yards against Missouri.

CJSchneider
01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I want him with the #33 overall pick.

We want him with the 32nd ;)

iowatreat54
01-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I guess you could say Reiff 'contained' him but I attribute that more to Iowa's game plan and success on the ground. There were several plays where Smith just tossed him to the side and either blew up a run play or got to the QB's face. He was actually quite impressive with his toughness against the run, and we all know about his edge speed but his inside move was a huge success against Reiff. I take Aldon right behind Robert Quinn when it comes to rushing off the edge (3-4 OLB).

Marcus Coker had 1 carry that went for negative yards. Aldon Smith, while good, did not have "several plays" where he "blew up" a run play. In fact, Coker had 6 rushes (out of 33 total) that went for less than 2 yards, 1 being a 1 yard TD. I'd hardly call that "blowing up" run plays.

He finished with 4 tackles, 1 TFL on Coker's lone negative rushing play. Also, I highly doubt he "was in the QB's face" several times considering Stanzi could have baked a cake with how much time he had on 99% of passing plays, which was obvious while watching the game or seeing that Missouri had 0 sacks and 0 QB hurries.

Aldon Smith is good, and I think he should declare and go first round, but lets be real here. He was a non-factor in the Insight Bowl.

eaglesalltheway
01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
He did well against the run?

We ran for 230 yards against Missouri.

Because one man makes an entire defense?

bruschis4all
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Because one man makes an entire defense?

Dan Persa made Iowa's defense look like Indiana's defense. Take Clayborn, Ballard and Krug off of your boards. They looked fat, gassed , old men(like me) by the end of that game.

brasho
01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Marcus Coker had 1 carry that went for negative yards. Aldon Smith, while good, did not have "several plays" where he "blew up" a run play. In fact, Coker had 6 rushes (out of 33 total) that went for less than 2 yards, 1 being a 1 yard TD. I'd hardly call that "blowing up" run plays.

He finished with 4 tackles, 1 TFL on Coker's lone negative rushing play. Also, I highly doubt he "was in the QB's face" several times considering Stanzi could have baked a cake with how much time he had on 99% of passing plays, which was obvious while watching the game or seeing that Missouri had 0 sacks and 0 QB hurries.

Aldon Smith is good, and I think he should declare and go first round, but lets be real here. He was a non-factor in the Insight Bowl.

If you were watching the game you would notice that Iowa had most of their success to the opposite side of Smith or when Smith wasn't in the game. There were several occasions where Smith got penetration and disrupted the play only to see nobody follow up. He was impressive, far more impressive than Clayborn, who at this point is looking like a sluggish 5-tech and quite possibly somebody that might have to play the 3-tech to realize his value (strong hands, good strength for a DE).

iowatreat54
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
If you were watching the game you would notice that Iowa had most of their success to the opposite side of Smith or when Smith wasn't in the game. There were several occasions where Smith got penetration and disrupted the play only to see nobody follow up. He was impressive, far more impressive than Clayborn, who at this point is looking like a sluggish 5-tech and quite possibly somebody that might have to play the 3-tech to realize his value (strong hands, good strength for a DE).

Ok, well just to start, there are several flaws with this post, or argument if you want to call it...

1. Didn't ever say that Iowa had their success on him. I said he was a non-factor, which whether because we ran away from him or he blew doesn't matter. He had 4 tackles and no QB hurries.

2. Clayborn has nothing to do with this discussion. Good deflection argument.

3. I like Smith as a prospect. I even said so in this thread, the other thread, and during the game how his name was constantly called for being in the right places.

After that, your argument that Smith was impressive in the game is pretty subjective. I watched the entire game, I know hard to believe. His name was called a lot, and it was for being in the right places, but he wasn't stuffing the run or getting in the QB's face as was asserted in the reply of my original post.

If you want to say he didn't suck and was making the right reads, shedding his blocks on most plays is impressive, then that's your call. But to me, 4 tackles including 1 being for a loss is extremely unimpressive and pretty much a non-factor in the game. Or in other words, Iowa wasn't gameplanning to avoid him as much as they did whatever they wanted on the ground to that defense and didn't even leave a note the next morning.

brasho
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Ok, well just to start, there are several flaws with this post, or argument if you want to call it...

1. Didn't ever say that Iowa had their success on him. I said he was a non-factor, which whether because we ran away from him or he blew doesn't matter. He had 4 tackles and no QB hurries.

2. Clayborn has nothing to do with this discussion. Good deflection argument.

3. I like Smith as a prospect. I even said so in this thread, the other thread, and during the game how his name was constantly called for being in the right places.

After that, your argument that Smith was impressive in the game is pretty subjective. I watched the entire game, I know hard to believe. His name was called a lot, and it was for being in the right places, but he wasn't stuffing the run or getting in the QB's face as was asserted in the reply of my original post.

If you want to say he didn't suck and was making the right reads, shedding his blocks on most plays is impressive, then that's your call. But to me, 4 tackles including 1 being for a loss is extremely unimpressive and pretty much a non-factor in the game. Or in other words, Iowa wasn't gameplanning to avoid him as much as they did whatever they wanted on the ground to that defense and didn't even leave a note the next morning.

If an offense chooses to, they can eliminate any player on defense from showing up on the stat sheet. Now I'm not comparing Aldon Smith to Deion Sanders, but Sanders had entire stretches of games where he didn't intercept, break up a pass, or do anything of any significance... but he was still a huge factor in the game.

A player is deemed a factor if he makes a difference in the way the other team goes about their game plan...which Smith did... and for argument's sake, since when are stats the only determining factor of a player being impressive in a game?

I remember a Senior Bowl a few years back (when Okoye was among the top DTs drafted) where Nebraska DE Jay Moore had at least 2 sacks in the actual game... and yet to say he was impressive would be ridiculous. On one sack he simply wasn't blocked, and the other sack had another player pressure the QB right into him... NOT IMPRESSIVE. What is impressive for a DL is forcing the offense to alter the game plan to avoid the player or being disruptive and prevent the offense from running the play as intended.... and this can be done without racking up stats.

brasho
01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
As for me commenting on Clayborn, I'm not deflecting, I'm simply stating that when compared to the other guy at the same spot for the other team, who actually racked up a sack (I think), he played a far better game... Clayborn was a complete non-factor for 98% of the game where he was single blocked, didn't get penetration, nor was he particularly effective in anything else he did. Smith >>>> Clayborn as a RDE for sure.

bucfan12
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
As for me commenting on Clayborn, I'm not deflecting, I'm simply stating that when compared to the other guy at the same spot for the other team, who actually racked up a sack (I think), he played a far better game... Clayborn was a complete non-factor for 98% of the game where he was single blocked, didn't get penetration, nor was he particularly effective in anything else he did. Smith >>>> Clayborn as a RDE for sure.

Smith seems to be the perfect fit in a Tampa 2 RDE. He would be a pure pass rusher and has great skills to succeed in a scheme like that.

bullg8rdaddy
01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Love me some Aldon Smiff!

brasho
01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Smith seems to be the perfect fit in a Tampa 2 RDE. He would be a pure pass rusher and has great skills to succeed in a scheme like that.

As a Buc fan, that is what I am hoping almost as much as Kerrigan... of course I would like to see Kerrigan go to us in round 1 to play LDE and then for us to grab a DE/LB tweener in round 2 to play RDE (Moch, Beal, Mathews)

holt_bruce81
01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Anyone heard anything on whether or not he will be declaring? Missouri has a chance to have another 10-win team on the field next year so I wouldn't blame him for staying. Even though He would look sexy in a Rams uniform.

BPhilb
01-06-2011, 12:57 AM
I've heard Pinkle is telling him he should stay but Smith's been leaning towards going out for quite some time. There are rumors that his family needs the money, but I can't verify any of that. As an MU fan I was disappointed in Smith's performance in the Insight Bowl. I did not key on him for every play, but I got the impression that he was playing not to get hurt more than he was playing as he normally does. He's a heck of a talent and I would love for him to be opposite of Hali in KC next year. If he decides to stay I could see him being a top 10 guy in 2012.

bullg8rdaddy
01-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Anyone heard anything on whether or not he will be declaring? Missouri has a chance to have another 10-win team on the field next year so I wouldn't blame him for staying. Even though He would look sexy in a Rams uniform.

I think he leaves, since Gabbert declared.

Matthew Jones
01-06-2011, 09:09 PM
He's so young that I think he should stay after a disappointing 2010 season, but I think he's going to declare for the draft and be picked around #20 overall. The Buccaneers would be a good fit for him.

ramsfan308
01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Aldon Smith declares for the draft:

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010711aaa.html

Me Likey Rookies
01-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Will he be there at 20 for the Bucs or do his offseason workouts boost him up the draft?

bucfan12
01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Will he be there at 20 for the Bucs or do his offseason workouts boost him up the draft?

At first I wasn't too high on him, but I really did not know he had a leg injury that slowed him down a bit this season. Though he is still a bit raw, he has the potential to be the best defensive end (pass rusher) in this draft. He still has room to grow into his 6'5 260 lb frame as well. If a team before 20 falls in love with his talents and skills, then he could go very early, but right now, some teams might be looking at the Aaron Maybin situation and might not take him that early.

I would say between 15 and 25 would be where he gets drafted. He would probably be a top 10 pick for sure if he stayed and entered the 2012 draft instead. I hope the Bucs land him.

bullg8rdaddy
01-07-2011, 09:03 PM
WANT.

Kid could end up being the next Simeon Rice (production wise) for us.

I heart Aldon.

/all h0m0

NGSeiler
01-07-2011, 09:36 PM
If the Rams get some WR talent in free agency and don't go receiver in the first round of the draft, Smith might be a good choice for them to eventually take over the RDE spot from James Hall.

holt_bruce81
01-07-2011, 11:43 PM
If the Rams get some WR talent in free agency and don't go receiver in the first round of the draft, Smith might be a good choice for them to eventually take over the RDE spot from James Hall.

That would be awesome!

bullg8rdaddy
01-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Rams, stick with Blackmon or Kerrigan, plzkthx.

holt_bruce81
01-08-2011, 01:26 AM

I don't want Kerrigan, he sounds to much like Chris Long. Not saying Chris Long is a bad player, he was a beast this season but he's never going to be an elite Defensive end, he'll be a 8-10 sack a year guy.

GB12
01-08-2011, 01:41 AM
I don't want Kerrigan, he sounds to much like Chris Long. Not saying Chris Long is a bad player, he was a beast this season but he's never going to be an elite Defensive end, he'll be a 8-10 sack a year guy.
8-10 sacks a year is pretty damn good.

Number of players with more than 10 sacks:
2010: 15
2009: 10
2008: 11

Not many players do better than that, especially on a year to year basis. If there's a player that you think is a 8-10 sack per year guy you don't hesitate to take him.

That said, I don't like Kerrigan at all and don't think he is an 8-10 sack per year player.

bullg8rdaddy
01-08-2011, 02:10 AM

lol All good. Take Blackmon, please. Let us have Aldon! :)

tenorx
01-08-2011, 03:23 AM

Blackmon isn't coming out this year.

bullg8rdaddy
01-08-2011, 03:40 AM
SHEEEEIIIT!!!

fml

NGSeiler
01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Blackmon isn't coming out this year.

Is that your best guess or has it been confirmed?

tenorx
01-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Is that your best guess or has it been confirmed?

I've read it somewhere 1-2 days ago, but now I can't find it anywhere. It might have been some speculation, but I think it was somewhat official (twitter maybe, not sure)

NGSeiler
01-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I've read it somewhere 1-2 days ago, but now I can't find it anywhere. It might have been some speculation, but I think it was somewhat official (twitter maybe, not sure)

Was it this tweet from Joe Schad?

Hearing OSU WR Justin Blackmon is leaning toward staying in school
2 hours ago via txt Favorite Retweet Reply

tenorx
01-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Was it this tweet from Joe Schad?

Well I would be a pretty good oracle if it was that tweet :D

It was probably this: http://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2010/12/31/1906494/source-justin-blackmon-will-not-enter-nfl-draft