PDA

View Full Version : Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Pages : [1] 2

TheFinisher
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/03/missouri-qb-gabbert-declares-for-nfl-draft

QB class just got better...

Scott Wright
01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
I posted this in another thread too but want to toot my own horn a bit...

I've been singing Gabbert's praises for months. Just ask Shane.

I really think Gabbert is going to give Mallett and Newton a run for their money.

xxxxxxxx
01-03-2011, 04:10 PM
does this mess up the top ten?

rockio42
01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm going to copy and paste my post from the underclassmen thread because its also extremely pertinent here

Blaine Gabbert doesn't have some of the key physical parts (obviously he has the height, weight, throw power, etc. you want) like footwork, pocket presence, all that.

I called the Colorado game and watched all the Mizzou games this year and I can not say how many times I saw him try to scramble out of the pocket when teams only rushed three guys and he had the perfect pocket to step up and deliver a throw, but instead he felt the need to stutter step in the pocket and then run the ball for two yards. Not to mention how horrible his deep-ball touch, or the fact that its non-existent on almost all 20+ yard throws.

I won't lie, I haven't seen a QB who can throw a perfect 15-18 yard deep out like him in a while but other than that his touch on passes is ****. Did you watch the game last night? Notice how Charlie Whitehurst just hung all his deep balls? That's what Blaine does on his throws. Ball that up with his extreme lack of footwork and pocket presence and it does nothing close to make up for the fact he is 6'5, 230, and can throw the ball a mile.

ElectricEye
01-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Gabbert probably has the highest bust potential out of all the quarterbacks in the class for me, or is at least right up there. I could see him being very, very good but I could also see him struggling out of the gate and not being able to get over it. Absolutely love his potential, saw him as a top 15 pick early in the season, but his lack of pocket presence and lower body mechanics worry me. He also really doesn't have to do much in the way or reads right now. That's coachable and he seems to be a bright kid, so he'll likely get over over that.

Very high upside, but he's also equally as raw.

CashmoneyDrew
01-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Could get a Titans look depending on how this Jeff Fisher/VY thing plays out.

RealityCheck
01-03-2011, 04:16 PM
12nd overall pick, future Viking, bet on it.

DcmRulz
01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I think he could be a star in the NFL, but i believe he needs to hold the clipboard for a year or so before he's ready, let him get acquainted with the playbook. My Vikings could sure use his talent.

xxxxxxxx
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM

12nd?... It's 12th dude....

lol just kidding, but I think that would be a nice fit for the vikes.

FuzzyGopher
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM

Wouldn't mind having him, he as great size and a strong arm. I didn't get a chance to watch him much this year but from what I saw his accuracy was a little spotty. Not sure if it was bad foot work or what but a lot of his passes seemed to go over his receivers heads.

RealityCheck
01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
12nd, 12th, you got it.

Gabbert would be a great fit in Minny... Although I see them passing on a QB once again for a mysterious reason.

ElectricEye
01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Wouldn't mind having him, he as great size and a strong arm. I didn't get a chance to watch him much this year but from what I saw his accuracy was a little spotty. Not sure if it was bad foot work or what but a lot of his passes seemed to go over his receivers heads.

That's mostly the lower body mechanics, I think. I wouldn't go as far as to call him inaccurate, but his ball placement leaves something to be desired at times.

rockio42
01-03-2011, 04:22 PM

He overthrew 6'4 Danario Alexander last year on a consistent basis. His completion percentage will tell you his accuracy is pretty good but don't believe the stats. A lot of people can complete 60% of their passes when you are checking down to TJ Moe and the best TE in the country on every play

descendency
01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I just don't see it. McShay and company have him rated 2nd overall among QBs, and I don't even know why.

12nd, 12th, you got it.

Gabbert would be a great fit in Minny... Although I see them passing on a QB once again for a mysterious reason.

They won't want to upset Brett Favre.

FuzzyGopher
01-03-2011, 04:30 PM
They won't want to upset Brett Favre.

*shudders* I wish they would add the word Favre to the swear filter so I never have to see his name on here again.

ThePudge
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I posted this in another thread too but want to toot my own horn a bit...

I've been singing Gabbert's praises for months. Just ask Shane.

I really think Gabbert is going to give Mallett and Newton a run for their money.

I think he'll give Mallett and Locker a run for their money. I think Blaine Gabbert is a guy that fits more into the Mid 1st-Early 2nd Round range than the 5-10 range. I like Locker, I think he could develop into a great pro, but I think questions about his play this season will keep him from going too high. He could turn out to be a great value in the 10-16 range (Washington, Minnesota, Miami, Jacksonville.) I think Luck is the obvious #1 guy if he declares, but I think there will be teams that hold Cameron Newton to a similarly high regard. By the time he works out in Indianapolis (or his Pro Day) and teams begin to get to know/trust Newton as a person his stock will soar.

I think Buffalo would give him a good situation for him in Chan Gailley's offense with a veteran Quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick. Newton will surely need some time to improve his footwork and to digest an NFL playbook. Fitzpatrick is a guy that can start 8-12-16 games while they groom the young guy. San Francisco at 7th Overall sounds like a great fit as well. While it doesn't offer the veteran tutelage, Newton would be brought along with some young talent at WR, TE, OT, and OG. With a new coach the play-calling should improve and the run game should get a boost. Arizona at 5 is interesting, but I have the gut feeling they will pursue a veteran such as Kevin Kolb or Donovan McNabb.

PhinsRock
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Gabbert will end up in the top 5. Guaranteed.

katnip
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
reading about he's raw technically and stuff.. i know everyone's different, but weren't people saying that about Josh Freeman (i wanted Freeman over both - Sanchez & Stafford)

RealityCheck
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
2008, Joe Flacco. 2009, Josh Freeman. 2011, Blaine Gabbert. That's what it looks like now.

Babylon
01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Looks like we could see 5 1st round QBs this year. Big question will be does it more resemble 83 when you had Elway, Kelley, Marino, Eason, Blackledge or
99 when we had Couch, McNabb, Akili Smith, Culpepper and McNown.

ElectricEye
01-03-2011, 04:48 PM
reading about he's raw technically and stuff.. i know everyone's different, but weren't people saying that about Josh Freeman (i wanted Freeman over both - Sanchez & Stafford)

Freemen was more in the Jake Locker territory in terms of mechanics. Rushed and got sloppy because of poor players around him and poor protection, not so much technical issues like Gabbert has. Taking Locker out of it to prevent some sort of potential argument based on that, Freemen had inconsistently good mechanics. In my opinion, Gabbert has consistently bad mechanics, particularly in terms of footwork and pocket presence.

SRK85
01-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Probably top 15 material all depends on the combine and if Luck declares.

RealityCheck
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Looks like we could see 5 1st round QBs this year. Big question will be does it more resemble 83 when you had Elway, Kelley, Marino, Eason, Blackledge or
99 when we had Couch, McNabb, Akili Smith, Culpepper and McNown.
Nah, just Mallett, Newton and Gabbert.

JRTPlaya21
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
So you don't see Luck declaring?

RealityCheck
01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
So you don't see Luck declaring?
I think there's a better chance hell freezes over than Luck declaring this year.

Scott Wright
01-03-2011, 05:03 PM
If Harbaugh leaves Stanford, which looks likely, Luck will definitely bolt too.

By the way, I am liking that Josh Freeman comparison for Gabbert...

jballa838
01-03-2011, 05:08 PM
How's Gabbert's character? It's odd so many Mizzou fans hate the guy, but so many draftniks love him, from what i've seen.

brasho
01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
If Harbaugh leaves Stanford, which looks likely, Luck will definitely bolt too.

By the way, I am liking that Josh Freeman comparison for Gabbert...

I'll take credit for that one, I made it hours ago in another thread.

Shane P. Hallam
01-03-2011, 05:14 PM
How's Gabbert's character? It's odd so many Mizzou fans hate the guy, but so many draftniks love him, from what i've seen.

High character, high intangibles.

Babylon
01-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Thank God, we dont need another character concern to work our way through here.

armageddon
01-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I went to HS with Gabbert's Uncle. I think his Dad was a couple years older and already graduated. All the Gabbert boys are smart, athletic and high character. Pretty big guys too.

rockio42
01-03-2011, 05:23 PM

I'm sorry but I can not agree with this. I went to highschool with this kid and he is an absolute d-bag. He knocked out two of my friends one night his senior year and he's been in an altercation here at Mizzou at one of the bars because a guy was talking **** on the team so he and his little brother knocked the guy out. I don't see the intangibles either.

brasho
01-03-2011, 05:23 PM
I went to HS with Gabbert's Uncle. I think his Dad was a couple years older and already graduated. All the Gabbert boys are smart, athletic and high character. Pretty big guys too.

Doesn't he have a younger bro at Mizzou that is only 6'0? Was that his primary backup? If so, that would be even more reason to leave now, to give his bro a shot at the starting gig.

rockio42
01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Doesn't he have a younger bro at Mizzou that is only 6'0? Was that his primary backup? If so, that would be even more reason to leave now, to give his bro a shot at the starting gig.

Tyler was red-shirted this past year. James Franklin was the main back-up and saw playing time in certain packages. He'll be the starter next year for sure.

armageddon
01-03-2011, 05:26 PM

I think he does have a younger bro who is a QB. Don't know anything about him though.

xxxxxxxx
RealityCheck, Luck is gonna leave dude.. If harbaugh goes, there is no way he is staying.

brasho
I remember Frankling being on the field a few times in the bowl game, was he the wildcat QB?

JDR2882
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Gabbert looked excellent in his recent bowl game. He consistently showed excellent arm strength and anticipation. My biggest concern deals with the system, he will need to be coached up. Top 20 pick for sure, and I hope the Jags get a shot at him (Jags GM Gene Smith was at Gabbert's bowl game).

rockio42
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I remember Frankling being on the field a few times in the bowl game, was he the wildcat QB?

Essentially. In all the packages he ran the ball like 10-11 times for each throw he attempted this year.

cdmPSU17
01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm sorry but I can not agree with this. I went to highschool with this kid and he is an absolute d-bag. He knocked out two of my friends one night his senior year and he's been in an altercation here at Mizzou at one of the bars because a guy was talking **** on the team so he and his little brother knocked the guy out. I don't see the intangibles either.

Inside info!!

I don't really care how much of a d-bag he is if the Phins draft him.

RealityCheck
01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm not buying Harbaugh leaving Stanford too, sorry...

ElectricEye
01-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Not sure what to think of all this, but there's a documented incident too...

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=196114&catid=3

Again, not making a judgement here, just getting some facts out here.

Babylon
01-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Not sure what to think of all this, but there's a documented incident too...

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=196114&catid=3

Again, not making a judgement here, just getting some facts out here.

Sounds fiesty, that may be a good thing.

brasho
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Ok, considering that linked incident occurred over/around a bathroom, perhaps I go a little deeper and instead of comparing him to Freeman, I compare him to the guy Freeman is compared to... Roethlisberger.

If he truly has maturity issues, and they raise their ugly heads around el bano, I think Blaine and Big Ben might be the better comparison.

xxxxxxxx
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Sorry realitycheck, but you need a reality check. LOL.

but seriously, Luck is the consensus #1 overall, and a rookie wage may be in place starter next year. He is coming out and getting his 75 million. And harbaugh is gone.

Scott Wright
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm not buying Harbaugh leaving Stanford too, sorry...

Right, why leave a small school with a little stadium, tough recruiting restrictions and a luke-warm fan-base to double your salary and compete for championships. :o)

Babylon
01-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Sorry realitycheck, but you need a reality check. LOL.

but seriously, Luck is the consensus #1 overall, and a rookie wage may be in place starter next year. He is coming out and getting his 75 million. And harbaugh is gone.

There probably isnt that sort of money out there but i do think he'll come out. Question is can Harbaugh and Luck make it work so they go to the same team. Carolina would be obvious but Luck could hold out for a San Francisco. Nobody ever thought John Elway or Eli Manning would try to influence where they ended up.

Arsenal
01-03-2011, 06:25 PM
There probably isnt that sort of money out there but i do think he'll come out. Question is can Harbaugh and Luck make it work so they go to the same team. Carolina would be obvious but Luck could hold out for a San Francisco. Nobody ever thought John Elway or Eli Manning would try to influence where they ended up.

Don't get my hopes up, I would be in heaven!

I think that's a longshot but Andrew's dad is the AD here at WVU and is a very smart guy. I think he actually would be one of the more likely ones to do it since the other two were each from wealthy families (Manning) or had something else to fall back on (Elway). If Oliver Luck thinks Carolina is a horrible situation with their cheap owner I guess there's a shot.

I guess I can always hope though!

RealityCheck
01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
If Harbaugh goes to SF, I see the good old Manning-switcharoo happening.

SF gets Luck, CAR gets the rights to sign the #7 pick (which would be Mallett or Newton) and a bunch of spare parts.

Scott Wright
01-03-2011, 06:36 PM
If Harbaugh goes to SF, I see the good old Manning-switcharoo happening.

SF gets Luck, CAR gets the rights to sign the #7 pick (which would be Mallett or Newton) and a bunch of spare parts.

Ha, for San Francisco to go from #7 to #1 for Luck it would cost A TON.

I honestly can't even fathom the price.

I would think at least a 1st, 2nd and 3rd plus one or two future #1's.

romo4prez415
01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Ha, for San Francisco to go from #7 to #1 for Luck it would cost A TON.

I honestly can't even fathom the price.

I would think at least a 1st, 2nd and 3rd plus one or two future #1's.

I completely agree. With scouts saying he's the best prospect they've ever scouted, comparing him to peyton manning and etc. its only going to add to the value even more.

xxxxxxxx
01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
That is why the draft trading chart is awful.

#7 to #1 is a decent jump, but your 2nd, 3rd, and one or two future 1st's is ********.

THink about it, you should be still getting a perrenial pro-bowler at 7 if you know how to draft.

The system is messed up.

bruschis4all
01-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Would have to be a Lawrence Welk type trade. For you youngsters. That's a one, two...a one, two , three. The way the rules are now, it makes having a good qb imperative. Well worth it.

jnew76
01-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I am a huge Missouri and Blaine Gabbert fan. I have seen virtually every snap he has ever taken at Mizzou. I don't know him personally like rockio42, but the people I am close to in the program all have some reservations about his leadership and intangibles. But they also tell me he has come a long way and grown up a lot in the last year.

Gabbert has a great arm and lightning quick release, and when his footwork is good, he is as accurate and as good as any QB in the country on throws up to 30 yards. He reminds me of Jim Kelly when he slings it. His 30+ yard throws are often overthrown. He consistently throws them on a line and does not give his receivers time to run under the ball. His footwork breaks down under pressure, and when he perceives pressure. He can be rattled, and gets happy feet and loses his fundamentals. He is not accurate on the move and he has huge trouble moving to the left.

I know it sounds like I don't like Gabbert, but that is not true. All of his flaws are fixable, and his natural talent is immense! I am very happy and proud to have had him as a Tiger. I hoped to have him one more year, and I thought that he had a chance to be the #1 pick in 2012 if he worked hard and continued to improve, not to mention I thought Missouri could have competed for a BCS bowl. However, if I were in his shoes, I would have declared as well. The NFL draft committee reportedly said he should be a top 20 pick and I can't blame him for declaring.

I wish him all the best, and I think he has as much potential as any QB in the draft. He is not as polished as Luck, but has just as much if not more "physical" potential.

Scott Wright
01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
That is why the draft trading chart is awful.

#7 to #1 is a decent jump, but your 2nd, 3rd, and one or two future 1st's is ********.

THink about it, you should be still getting a perrenial pro-bowler at 7 if you know how to draft.

The system is messed up.

It's impossible to overpay for a true franchise quarterback.

I_C_DeadPeople
01-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Isn't ever jock in High School a d-bag?

D-Unit
01-03-2011, 07:46 PM
But it is possible in thinking a QB is a true franchise QB, when he really is not.

That's the scary part.

I_C_DeadPeople
01-03-2011, 07:46 PM

Unfortunately it is all to easy to overpay for a would be franchise QB.

So many QB choices, I am not sure Mike Brown can resist...

49erNation85
01-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Dude Luck and Harrbaough in SF together , that would the biggest orgy ever ! Be high doubt it .On the upside it would be awesome see if SF could pull it off and give Car maybe two draft picks and a possible player .One big IF tho .

MidwayMonster31
01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Trades I would accept as the Panthers:
San Francisco: 2011/2012 first round pick, 2011 third round pick, Michael Crabtree. Panthers give a 2012 third round pick.
Buffalo: 2011 first round pick, 2011 third round pick.
Arizona: 2011 first round pick, 2011 second round pick, 2012 second round pick.
(Dark horse) Tennessee: 2011/ 2012 first round pick, Vince Young, Bo Scaife, 2011 third round pick.

SolidGold
01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't think Gabbert is first round material. Questionable choice. I think earliest he would go is mid-second round. I don't think he will suffer the McShay Snead curse.

SRK85
01-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Anyone have any youtube footage of this kid?

wordofi
01-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm going to copy and paste my post from the underclassmen thread because its also extremely pertinent here

Blaine Gabbert doesn't have some of the key physical parts (obviously he has the height, weight, throw power, etc. you want) like footwork, pocket presence, all that.

I called the Colorado game and watched all the Mizzou games this year and I can not say how many times I saw him try to scramble out of the pocket when teams only rushed three guys and he had the perfect pocket to step up and deliver a throw, but instead he felt the need to stutter step in the pocket and then run the ball for two yards. Not to mention how horrible his deep-ball touch, or the fact that its non-existent on almost all 20+ yard throws.

I won't lie, I haven't seen a QB who can throw a perfect 15-18 yard deep out like him in a while but other than that his touch on passes is ****. Did you watch the game last night? Notice how Charlie Whitehurst just hung all his deep balls? That's what Blaine does on his throws. Ball that up with his extreme lack of footwork and pocket presence and it does nothing close to make up for the fact he is 6'5, 230, and can throw the ball a mile.

Also, you forgot to mention that he isn't able to go through progressions. He definitely should go back for his senior year.

MidwayMonster31
01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
The system is the only thing that bothers me about Gabbert. But I believe he has the work ethic and football smarts to be able to adapt to an NFL system. His decision making could be an issue at the next level, as well as his footwork, but good coaching can fix those things. I think he can sneak into the first round or early second round since somebody is going to have to miss out on the top quarterbacks and he figures to work out well.

Hurricanes25
01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Anyone have any youtube footage of this kid?

1. Type in youtube.com
2. In the search bar, type, Blaine Gabbert highlights.

CameronCropper
01-04-2011, 01:48 AM
I honestly don't understand why he came out this year.

He could do with some work, there are question marks over a possible work stoppage and this quarterback class (I'm aware there are red flags regarding a few of the top prospects) is stacked.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2011, 01:58 AM
I honestly don't understand why he came out this year.

He could do with some work, there are question marks over a possible work stoppage and this quarterback class (I'm aware there are red flags regarding a few of the top prospects) is stacked.

I mean, he's going to get drafted high for his tools. Is his arm going to get any better by going back to school? Maybe he goes back, has a huge year and gets drafted #1 overall. Or maybe he repeats his performance this year, is heavily scrutinized for not improving and falls. The QB class this year might be a hurdle - but next year could be too. Luck, Newton and Mallett could all be in next year's class for all we know right now. Then there's Matt Barkley and the possibility that someone could come out of nowhere like a Robert Griffin, Landry Jones, Mike Glennon, whoever is next on the Delaware depth chart, etc

holt_bruce81
01-04-2011, 05:57 AM
I would rank his arm 2nd behind Mallet's, now his deep ball is atrocious, I don't think I saw him complete a 40+ yard pass all season, it's always 10-15 yards beyond the Receiver.

He's very good in the 10-15 yard range, nice velocity on his throws and very accurate. Makes some terrible throws on what seem like easy passes, like 0-5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Tends to throw the ball high over the middle a lot. Isn't a "scrambler" but has the speed to extend plays, gets happy feet way to easily and rolls out of the pocket pretty much every play, doesn't take off and run often though, usually keeps his eyes down field, not a great decision maker, will take the sack instead of just throwing the ball away, will make boneheaded throws at times.

When the draft nears people will fall in love with his 6'5 225 pound frame, his arm strength and his character and he will be a top 20 pick IMO. If anyone has a chance watch him vs Oklahoma earlier this season, that was probably his best game of the season and it shows he does have the skills to be great at the next level. He led Missouri over Oklahoma 36-27 where Mizzou outsscored OU 16-6 in the 4th quarter, a quarter where Gabbert went 8/9 for 82 yards 1 TD and no picks.

wordofi
01-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I think Gabbert is the 2nd best prospect at quarterback regardless of who else declares. I'm not sold on Mallett because of his shaky intangibles, his tendency to overthrow targets (short area accuracy), and the fact that he has zero mobility whatsoever.

wordofi
01-04-2011, 09:51 AM

I have to disagree with you on that. Lets say, for example, that the 49ers want to move from #7 to #1. The Panthers ask for the 49ers 1st-7th round picks for both 2011 and 2012. The 49ers agree and they have the #1 for the 2011 draft. They get Luck. Here's where the problem arrives. Who are they going to surround him with? How are they going to develop talent? You can't win with just one guy. They might be good for a year or two, but not having draft picks for two years would hurt their long-term prospects dramatically.

A Perfect Score
01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I have to disagree with you on that. Lets say, for example, that the 49ers want to move from #7 to #1. The Panthers ask for the 49ers 1st-7th round picks for both 2011 and 2012. The 49ers agree and they have the #1 for the 2011 draft. They get Luck. Here's where the problem arrives. Who are they going to surround him with? How are they going to develop talent? You can't win with just one guy. They might be good for a year or two, but not having draft picks for two years would hurt their long-term prospects dramatically.

The Chicago Bears and their 11-5 record strongly disagree with everything in this post.

Babylon
01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
I would rank his arm 2nd behind Mallet's, now his deep ball is atrocious, I don't think I saw him complete a 40+ yard pass all season, it's always 10-15 yards beyond the Receiver.

He's very good in the 10-15 yard range, nice velocity on his throws and very accurate. Makes some terrible throws on what seem like easy passes, like 0-5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Tends to throw the ball high over the middle a lot. Isn't a "scrambler" but has the speed to extend plays, gets happy feet way to easily and rolls out of the pocket pretty much every play, doesn't take off and run often though, usually keeps his eyes down field, not a great decision maker, will take the sack instead of just throwing the ball away, will make boneheaded throws at times.

When the draft nears people will fall in love with his 6'5 225 pound frame, his arm strength and his character and he will be a top 20 pick IMO. If anyone has a chance watch him vs Oklahoma earlier this season, that was probably his best game of the season and it shows he does have the skills to be great at the next level. He led Missouri over Oklahoma 36-27 where Mizzou outsscored OU 16-6 in the 4th quarter, a quarter where Gabbert went 8/9 for 82 yards 1 TD and no picks.

I like his overral skill set but i would say his arm is behind Mallett, Locker and Newton.

wordofi
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
The Chicago Bears and their 11-5 record strongly disagree with everything in this post.

They gave up somewhere between 3 and 5 picks. In my post, they gave up 13 picks. No player is worth 13 picks. Not Andrew Luck, not Peyton Manning, not Tom Brady.

ElectricEye
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I like his overral skill set but i would say his arm is behind Mallett, Locker and Newton.

Agree. He's not far behind Locker and Newton, but he's not ahead of them either. Might be right in the same place.

As far him coming out goes...Meh. Not a good move or a bad move. Mizzou isn't going to do absolutely anything to make him more NFL ready than he is right now. Could he help his stock a bit by not having to compete with all of the other quarterbacks? Possibly, but it also gives us(and the NFL) time to over analyze, and trust me, we would find a TON wrong with him.

TheMorningZoo
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
So I think the consensus agrees that Gabbert is a solid 2nd rounder right now. I think as mentioned he could have really elevated his draft stock had he stayed another year (which I think is a big mistake he didn't, but that's not my choice)-but he might of also encountered a Jevan Snead, Brian Brohm, Andre Woodson, etc. type scenario. I just wonder who comes off first, Ponder or Gabbert. Gabbert is more the prototypical QB as far as measurables are concerned, but Ponder would be a great fit in WCO (but all the injuries and down year have really hurt him so far). Combine will tell.

jrdrylie
01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
They gave up somewhere between 3 and 5 picks. In my post, they gave up 13 picks. No player is worth 13 picks. Not Andrew Luck, not Peyton Manning, not Tom Brady.

I disagree. I think a team like Tennessee would definitely trade two entire drafts for Brady or Manning. They are close and with a great QB, they would win a Super Bowl and that is worth more than two draft classes. Other teams like Miami, Minnesota, San Francisco, Arizona, and Jacksonville might do the same thing.

Really bad teams like Carolina, Buffalo, and Cleveland might not because the QB probably wouldn't take them to a Super Bowl Champion. But if I'm a GM and I have the choice between a Super Bowl or two drafts, I'm taking the Super Bowl every time.

FUNBUNCHER
01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Does anyone have a good explanation why Gabbert has the worst stats I've ever seen from a spread QB in the Big 12???

I thought throwing for 25 TDs in that system at Texas Tech/Oklahoma/TT/Mizzou for a 'good' QB regardless of his WR talent was almost a given.

Gabbert is not a top 10 pick IMO.

katnip
01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
49ers fans. Would you want Gabbert? I'm not a fan (NYJ). But to me they should go QB/1st round, RB/2nd Pick. Just because Frank Gore's hip injury late in the season.

Again I don't know much about them. Other then the 2 Smith's are pretty bad

ElectricEye
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Does anyone have a good explanation why Gabbert has the worst stats I've ever seen from a spread QB in the Big 12???

I thought throwing for 25 TDs in that system at Texas Tech/Oklahoma/TT/Mizzou for a 'good' QB regardless of his WR talent was almost a given.

Gabbert is not a top 10 pick IMO.

It's because he has times when he really struggles. His ball placement is poor, stares down receivers, and gets happy feet. Great physical tools, almost ideal even, but a long way to go.

Babylon
01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
It's because he has times when he really struggles. His ball placement is poor, stares down receivers, and gets happy feet. Great physical tools, almost ideal even, but a long way to go.

I'm a little surprised he would come out and risk being the 5th QB taken when he could compete for the top spot next year. Of course when you have a little birdy whispering in your ear that you're the #2 QB in the country you tend to get excited i guess. Not sure if it's a smart move.

Scott Wright
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm a little surprised he would come out and risk being the 5th QB taken

I really don't think that's a risk, he's going much earlier than people realize.

The NFL's underclassmen advisory panel, which is notoriously conservative, gave him a Top 20 grade. So that is probably a worst-case scenario. My guess is he's third quarterback chosen.

SolidGold
01-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Scott, Do you think his game compares at all to Big Ben's? I vaguely remember Ben coming out of college, the main concern was that he worked primarily out of shotgun (and level of competition)/Gabbert comes from a spread offense as well.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I really don't think that's a risk, he's going much earlier than people realize.

The NFL's underclassmen advisory panel, which is notoriously conservative, gave him a Top 20 grade. So that is probably a worst-case scenario. My guess is he's third quarterback chosen.

That's extremely interesting. Gabbert to me looks a lot like what Locker would look like if he went to a spread team

Hurricanes25
01-04-2011, 02:54 PM
With Gabbert declaring and Luck probably declaring, should Ryan Mallet stay in school and possibly be the top QB next year?

Scott Wright
01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
With Gabbert declaring and Luck probably declaring, should Ryan Mallet stay in school and possibly be the top QB next year?

He should VERY seriously consider it, but I doubt he will.

FUNBUNCHER
01-04-2011, 04:33 PM
16 TD passes in a spread at a 63% completion pace and suddenly you're a near lock 1st rounder???

Have NFL personnel people changed the way they grade college QB prospects??
Seems like the buzz word now is all 'potential' and performance on game days is highly overrated in college.

If Gabbert is a 1st rounder, I've totally flipped in my opinion on Locker.

ElectricEye
01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
If Gabbert is a 1st rounder, I've totally flipped in my opinion on Locker.
Legit think Gabbert struggled to a greater degree than Locker this year. The film on him was actually a whole lot better last year now that I'm going back and looking at it. Played much calmer and more in control. He did improve his decision making this year a bit, but that's the only thing I'm seeing that's better.

As far as potential/production, the former has always been more important.

midwestpatsfan
01-04-2011, 04:47 PM
The more QB's in the top 10 the better, just keep the talent falling to the Patriots. I posted in another thread on here that my big shock would be Gabbert would be the 2nd QB taken if he came out, and after that bowl game, I do not think it is even a stretch anymore.

wordofi
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I disagree. I think a team like Tennessee would definitely trade two entire drafts for Brady or Manning. They are close and with a great QB, they would win a Super Bowl and that is worth more than two draft classes. Other teams like Miami, Minnesota, San Francisco, Arizona, and Jacksonville might do the same thing.

Really bad teams like Carolina, Buffalo, and Cleveland might not because the QB probably wouldn't take them to a Super Bowl Champion. But if I'm a GM and I have the choice between a Super Bowl or two drafts, I'm taking the Super Bowl every time.

I don't think any team could win a Super Bowl by merely acquiring Manning or Brady. As good as they are, they would be in a new environment, and it would be hard to improve any glaring holes around them because they wouldn't have any draft picks.

I would rather have the Super Bowl than the draft picks, but I don't think you can have the Super Bowl without the draft picks.

The bottom line is that you can't trade away draft picks year after year and win in the NFL. Just look at the Washington Redskins as exhibit #1.

marshallb
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't think any team could win a Super Bowl by merely acquiring Manning or Brady. As good as they are, they would be in a new environment, and it would be hard to improve any glaring holes around them because they wouldn't have any draft picks.

I would rather have the Super Bowl than the draft picks, but I don't think you can have the Super Bowl without the draft picks.

The bottom line is that you can't trade away draft picks year after year and win in the NFL. Just look at the Washington Redskins as exhibit #1.

There is a thing called free agency that also allows teams to fill holes. The draft isn't the only way to fill holes for the short term, which is what one of those teams likely would be doing when they've decided to give up all of those picks.

wordofi
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
There is a thing called free agency that also allows teams to fill holes. The draft isn't the only way to fill holes for the short term, which is what one of those teams likely would be doing when they've decided to give up all of those picks.

Tell me how often elite players reach free agency? It's even hard to find good players in free agency. You'll be lucky if your team find fours good players out of free agency.

Anybody who would trade two drafts for Manning or Brady is idiotic and would be fired overnight. On top of that, they're both in their mid-thirties. You'd only get three good years max.

Babylon
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM

Not sure about that, at the combine he'll be in the character question camp and there are several guys with better arms and mobility. I dont see him standing out against the other 4 guys.

SRK85
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
1. Type in youtube.com
2. In the search bar, type, Blaine Gabbert highlights.

Yea but those videos don't help much, he tends to lead his WRs too much. I guess it comes down to the combine.

Scott Wright
01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Another indication Gabbert is going to be a very early pick is that he signed with CAA.

That agency doesn't mess around with average quarterback prospects.

xxxxxxxx
01-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Damn scott, you have quite the boner for Gabbert lol.

Scott Wright
01-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Damn scott, you have quite the boner for Gabbert lol.

I've liked him all year. Just ask Shane! :o)

The only reason he hasn't been in my mock is I didn't think he'd come out.

Thought he would go back and be the projected #1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

xxxxxxxx
01-05-2011, 12:44 AM
I've liked him all year. Just ask Shane! :o)

The only reason he hasn't been in my mock is I didn't think he'd come out.

Thought he would go back and be the projected #1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Just busting your chops.

Do you think he's going top 10?

Scott Wright
01-05-2011, 01:26 AM

I think it's a distinct possibility.

raynman
01-07-2011, 01:37 PM
i just don't see it. tale of the "prototypical build" and "cannon for an arm" hyped up product that people think has enough physical tools that you can over look his inadequacies in a multitude of other areas (including coming from a strictly spread offense).

you can pull out all the highlight reels you want, but i doubt it tells the whole story.

this is clips from the game against the illini and seriously, it's just not all that impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5nGYHLeB2g

why are so many people suddenly riding on this guys jock. is this QB class so bad that we have to start reaching for future career backups like this?

someone sell me on him and tell me why i'm wrong about him.

Halsey
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44824

raynman
01-07-2011, 02:01 PM
meh. didn't see it.

raynman
01-07-2011, 02:02 PM
dupe comment.

Babylon
01-07-2011, 02:14 PM
i just don't see it. tale of the "prototypical build" and "cannon for an arm" hyped up product that people think has enough physical tools that you can over look his inadequacies in a multitude of other areas (including coming from a strictly spread offense).

you can pull out all the highlight reels you want, but i doubt it tells the whole story.

this is clips from the game against the illini and seriously, it's just not all that impressive.

why are so many people suddenly riding on this guys jock. is this QB class so bad that we have to start reaching for future career backups like this?

someone sell me on him and tell me why i'm wrong about him.

To me he was a year away. Almost like in the NBA though someone declares you have to take him based on upside, which for the NFL can spell trouble. I think he's almost a poor man's Ryan Mallett although he has some mobility.

Not sure how he'll be looked at after the combine because there are guys that are better in every area. As i've said though i hope someone takes him early so a player i'd want can be available.

raynman
01-07-2011, 02:25 PM
a poor man's ryan mallet is pretty poor. i see mallett being a huge bust. if anyone was close to jamarcus russell/ryan leaf type bust in this draft, it's him.

not sure i want someone who is almost as good as mallet anywhere close to my team.

will99890
01-07-2011, 02:31 PM
My biggest problem with Gabbert, besides inexperience, is the fact that he is either throwing screens/check downs or throwing really deep. Gabbert hasn't shown me that he can consistently complete 10-20 yard passes, although he has the arm for it. I would rate him right around Mallett range, with both men receiving a slight push up boards due to Luck returning to Stanford.

raynman
01-07-2011, 02:34 PM
neither guy should be in the top 10 unless someone is really desperate.

Bobertchin
01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Just busting your chops.

I think he definitely will now that Luck isn't in the draft. Gabbert is my top QB in the draft right now. Of course, who cares what I think? Still, I think he's this year's Bradford-- a guy that will be unfairly criticized for the offense he played in college but will put in the work and has the tools to succeed at the next level. I think he has a high ceiling and reasonably high floor.

Let's face it, every one of the QBs in this draft have some real question marks. There are no sure-fire guys. But there are several teams that need a QB. I don't think Gabbert makes it past the Titans, if he even gets that far.

SenorGato
01-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Seriously...Charlie Whitehurst...minus the injuries. That's if things go well enough. He's talented, but he's not there yet and is probably a 3-4th round QB who maybe gets overdrafted but probably doesn't. Whitehurst was a solid developmental prospect when he came out, but not in the first two rounds.

Gabbert's got good upside, but I don't see him turning that into becoming a first round pick. As long as he doesn't do the drug thing like Erik Ainge he might become something.

49erNation85
01-07-2011, 10:47 PM
49ers fans. Would you want Gabbert? I'm not a fan (NYJ). But to me they should go QB/1st round, RB/2nd Pick. Just because Frank Gore's hip injury late in the season.

Again I don't know much about them. Other then the 2 Smith's are pretty bad

I didn't even know who this kid was until like 2 weeks ago and now people are locking him in the top ten picks ?I'm like what the heck.Some having going to SF and I don't like it.Only because I saw very little of him at his bowl game against Iowa and didn't like well .He threw some ugly balls .Sure he is tall but not accurate IMO .I think he falls to the second round unless he throws good at the combine.I'm really hoping the 49ers take Jake Locker and have Jim Hargbaugh mentor him into a elite QB of the future of the franchise !

holt_bruce81
01-07-2011, 11:46 PM
My biggest problem with Gabbert, besides inexperience, is the fact that he is either throwing screens/check downs or throwing really deep. Gabbert hasn't shown me that he can consistently complete 10-20 yard passes, although he has the arm for it. I would rate him right around Mallett range, with both men receiving a slight push up boards due to Luck returning to Stanford.

Gabbert is probably most accurate when he's throwing in the 10-20 yard range. I have yet to see him complete a deep pass without Danario Alexander and a lot of times he throws bad balls on short passes/screens.

raynman
01-08-2011, 10:25 AM
I think he definitely will now that Luck isn't in the draft. Gabbert is my top QB in the draft right now. Of course, who cares what I think? Still, I think he's this year's Bradford-- a guy that will be unfairly criticized for the offense he played in college but will put in the work and has the tools to succeed at the next level. I think he has a high ceiling and reasonably high floor.seriously...what makes you say this?

BlindSite
01-08-2011, 07:22 PM
I think one thing that's abundantly clear about Gabbert is he gets very, very happy feet in the pocket, even against a three man rush where holding his ground he'd be fine. To me that's a little scary in a prospect.

TACKLE
01-08-2011, 09:04 PM
I think one thing that's abundantly clear about Gabbert is he gets very, very happy feet in the pocket, even against a three man rush where holding his ground he'd be fine. To me that's a little scary in a prospect.

His footwork in the pocket is brutal, worse than Mallett's. He has decent athleticism/mobility for a guy his size but his footwork itself sucks. Any time there's pressure he just sprints outside the pocket opposed to maneuvering within it.

ElectricEye
01-08-2011, 09:07 PM
The bad thing is it totally effect the velocity of his throws. Even worse, effects the accuracy of them. He'll throw a whole ton of picks if he doesn't correct that stuff.

DaBrowns41
01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
My biggest problem is the fact that I don't think he knows how to read a defense. Coming from a one read system at Mizzou, I don't know how well he's going to be able to go through all of his reads and make the right decision.

The physical ability is there, and his throwing motion is as technically sound as it gets. He's got the talent, but not the intangibles.

BlindSite
01-08-2011, 10:52 PM
My biggest problem is the fact that I don't think he knows how to read a defense. Coming from a one read system at Mizzou, I don't know how well he's going to be able to go through all of his reads and make the right decision.

The physical ability is there, and his throwing motion is as technically sound as it gets. He's got the talent, but not the intangibles.

When it comes to QBs I like to see two things at the very least, solid, grounded mechanics and ability to read a defense. I don't see him having either of those things at this point. He'd be a great heir apparent to someone in the NFL, like maybe David Garrard who's now 32, or McNabb or hell even Peyton Manning (he's 35 this year, packers drafted Rogers when Favre was 36), maybe Philly.

Point is he needs to go to an extremely stable situation with a HC and offensive staff that's not likely to see a lot of turnover and have everything from the ground up rebuilt.

As a day one starter he'd have the same issues Clausen's had this year, panicking under pressure causing massive amount of sacks and turnovers and bad mechanics leading to bad, bad passes when he does set. Throw in not being able to go through progressions and it's a recipe for disaster.

Babylon
01-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I know there is talk from the media that he'll go early but not sure why. I happen to think he's pretty good down the road but right now he's lacking some of what other guys this year bring.

I'm not sure just what strides he can make at the combine, if there are 4 candidates to go early (now that Luck is out) then what does he stand out in? He is the 3rd most mobile, 4th best arm, 2nd-4th on the character question. None of the top 4 would be lights out in the accuracy department so maybe he could shine there.

Gabbert's situation is sort of like the NBA where a guy comes out early and even though he's not ready you somehow have to take him, it only takes one team.

Nard_Dog
01-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Meh, I'm not a huge fan. Seems to be out of shape a lot. Needs to work on accuracy, and learn an NFL offense. He could still end up a high pick. The #1 quarterback spot is up for grabs right now.

miz11
01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Blaine Gabbert is the best player I've ever seen at creating a pass rush out of nothing. He has all the physical tools but has 0 intangibles. Heck just send one or two defensive lineman at him and save the rest for when he rolls out right after sitting in the pocket for half a second.

raynman
01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
"he has all the physical tools"

everyone is reading from the same script.

Brent
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I hear he has all of something. Tools, I want to say.

ElectricEye
01-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Matt Cassel looked a lot like Blaine Gabbert today. Sort of a cautionary tale about how some of the things he does now don't translate well to the NFL.

BlindSite
01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
"he has all the physical tools"

People should remember something about physical tools.

I have them to be a male prostitute, doesn't mean I am or ever will be.

moTIGS
01-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Part of his struggles can be directly attributed to the fact that his receivers this year just weren't very good. TJ Moe and Michael Egnew both have reliable hands, but they weren't great at getting open consistently and they were the only guys Gabbert had who he could consistently trust. In a pass-first spread offense you need guys who can actually get open.

In a more balanced pro-style offense with better receivers, I think he works through a lot of his problems pretty quickly.

holt_bruce81
01-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Part of his struggles can be directly attributed to the fact that his receivers this year just weren't very good. TJ Moe and Michael Egnew both have reliable hands, but they weren't great at getting open consistently and they were the only guys Gabbert had who he could consistently trust. In a pass-first spread offense you need guys who can actually get open.

In a more balanced pro-style offense with better receivers, I think he works through a lot of his problems pretty quickly.

I don't think they Receivers have anything to do with it. Missouri's Receivers were just fine, TJ Moe, Michael Egnew, Jerrell Jackson........

brasho
01-12-2011, 05:52 AM
I think he'll give Mallett and Locker a run for their money. I think Blaine Gabbert is a guy that fits more into the Mid 1st-Early 2nd Round range than the 5-10 range. I like Locker, I think he could develop into a great pro, but I think questions about his play this season will keep him from going too high. He could turn out to be a great value in the 10-16 range (Washington, Minnesota, Miami, Jacksonville.) I think Luck is the obvious #1 guy if he declares, but I think there will be teams that hold Cameron Newton to a similarly high regard. By the time he works out in Indianapolis (or his Pro Day) and teams begin to get to know/trust Newton as a person his stock will soar.

I think Buffalo would give him a good situation for him in Chan Gailley's offense with a veteran Quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick. Newton will surely need some time to improve his footwork and to digest an NFL playbook. Fitzpatrick is a guy that can start 8-12-16 games while they groom the young guy. San Francisco at 7th Overall sounds like a great fit as well. While it doesn't offer the veteran tutelage, Newton would be brought along with some young talent at WR, TE, OT, and OG. With a new coach the play-calling should improve and the run game should get a boost. Arizona at 5 is interesting, but I have the gut feeling they will pursue a veteran such as Kevin Kolb or Donovan McNabb.

You seem to be pretty conservative in regards to QBs. You don't like Kaepernick, Gabbert is a 2nd rounder... I don't think Gabbert gets past pick 15 or so for sure and I was thinking he was a potential 1st rounder as early as the Oklahoma game.

brasho
01-12-2011, 05:56 AM
People should remember something about physical tools.

I have them to be a male prostitute, doesn't mean I am or ever will be.

My granny (the one with the hip replacement) has photos proving the contrary. Haven't we all heard this one before, Mr. Saban?

Vox Populi
01-12-2011, 07:11 AM
He shouldn't go any earlier than Freeman. Freeman was better in college and had more pro potential coming out. I have no idea how he somehow has become this prospect on the same level as a Ben Roethlisberger coming out of college. I wouldn't take him until the late 20s.

FUNBUNCHER
01-12-2011, 08:05 AM
I don't think they Receivers have anything to do with it. Missouri's Receivers were just fine, TJ Moe, Michael Egnew, Jerrell Jackson........

That Gabbert couldn't throw for more than 15 TDs during the regular season in Mizzou's wide open spread attack would cause me great concern about considering him as a 1st round pick.

You don't draft RBs high with great tools and poor to little production in college.
Same goes for WRs with elite measurables but don't produce on game days.

Gabbert, simply put, did not back up his potential with performance on Saturdays.
There's something lacking in Gabbert's decision-making or confidence IMO when he's required to make plays with his arm and get the football into the endzone.

If any of the top QB prospects had only thrown for 15 TDs this past year, they'd be eviscerated.

When was the last time a junior spread QB from a BCS school who started the entire season threw for 15 TDs????

Even during the soft part of Mizzou's schedule, Gabbert struggled to put up stats.

There's a problem there, IMO, that people are ignoring in their desire to find another top NFL QB prospect.

RealityCheck
01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
So if a guy has a 15-TD season, he's knocked down.
In the other hand, a guy who goes 9-36 in a bowl game is treated like God.

Babylon
01-12-2011, 01:59 PM
So if a guy has a 15-TD season, he's knocked down.
In the other hand, a guy who goes 9-36 in a bowl game is treated like God.

Two games actually and nobody is treating Jake Locker as a god, except maybe Jake Locker (not the real one).

bucfan12
01-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Picking a QB in the 1st round is going to be very difficult for some teams.

Gabbert has the physical tools and will be a 1st round pick, but I think a team in the top 10 will pick him higher than they should (Buffalo or Arizona). However, some still question his leadership abilities and the fact that he played in the spread. However, some say he lacked talent on offense and he carried the offense throughout the season.

Mallett has the physical tools with a big frame and strong arm, but he makes poor decisions and doesn't handle pressure well at all. He actually doesn't have a great pocket presence and sloppy mechanics. He is cocky and some compare him to Ryan Leaf and Jimmy Clausen when it comes to leadership skills and character.

Locker was blown up as a top 5 pick last year by Tod McShay and Mel Kiper, but rumor had it he received a 2nd round draft grade by the advisory board, which lead to him coming back for his Senior Year. He doesn't have a feel for the pocket and makes poor decisions. Honestly, he's a poor mans Tim Tebow (right handed) who has a lot of questions about his accuracy. He was absolutely awful this year and he really didn't stand out to me at all during his career, except for the 2009 game vs. USC, where he lead them to a game winning drive. That might have been a 1 time deal though.

Honestly, all 3 of these guys who declared have issues, but I think Gabbert is the only sure fire guy I would take in the 1st round from picks 11-25. I wouldn't wager a top 5-7 pick on him.

Mallett is a 2nd round guy who will be taken a lot higher than he should, along with Locker.

Chidi29
01-12-2011, 04:56 PM
As a preface, I watched Gabbert with an open-mind. This was the first time I've ever watched him. I didn't think he would declare this season so I took my attention elsewhere. By the time he did, I didn't get a chance to watch the bowl game because it had been taken off of espn3.com's list.

After watching the Nebraska game (And I fully realize it is just one game against a tough team in their house), I must say. This is a franchise QB? This is the top 10 pick, the guy that may be the first QB taken?

I'll give my good/bad thoughts on the game.

Good: He does have mobility outside of the pocket and he keeps plays alive with his feet. He isn't the fleetest of foot though. He has that "awkward athleticism" that people said about Ben Roethlisberger coming out. That seems like a fair comparison, given their size. Gabbert definitely has it, listed at 6'5, 235. He showed good arm strength, can throw the deep ball. I didn't see the "captain checkdown" people have been talking about. There were a couple quick screens and variations of it thrown in there, but the offense wasn't centered around it. Despite all the pressure he had (And he was under fire all game long) he smartly threw away a couple passes when nothing was there.

And that's where the honeymoon ends...

Bad: His pocket presence was AWFUL. I'm sure the fact that Nebraska was getting pressure at a constant rate played a role, but even when they weren't coming in free, he'd leave the pocket at the first signs of pressure. Even when it was coming around the edge; instead of just stepping up, he'd move up and flush out. You lose your foundation and take away half the field. He had a severe case of happy feet. He flat out looked nervous everytime he dropped back.

He doesn't reset his feet after leaving the pocket, routinely throwing off his back foot or not stepping into the throw. He doesn't keep his eyes downfield when he starts to move. The ball will drop down when he's in the pocket. Longer to throw it and prone to getting it knocked away. He threw across the field once, nearly resulting in an interception. He stares down targets; he could have had three interceptions on curl routes because he waited until after the WR made his break, letting the corner jump it. One pass went right through the cornerback's hands. Maybe I'm just seeing things because I don't have in-depth knowledge on this aspect, but his release looks a little funny too. It's pretty quick. I don't see a windup. But it almost looks like he's pushing the ball along. Just seemed off to me. I'm sure someone else can chime in.

---------

Like I said, it was just one game and it doesn't paint the entire picture. But going against a top team on the road and having success would have looked really good on his resume. He didn't have it and I can't say I'm even remotely close to being a fan after watching him.

Here's a link to the video for anyone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97tXjeH861E&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

brasho
01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
All the incoming QBs have flaws, but most of them have impressive enough physical tools that some team is going to fall in love with them.

Cameron Newton's got Vince Young's feet on Josh Freeman's body-nevermind the character and experience issues, physically he is a candidate for all-time leader in physical tools.

Jake Locker athletically is very similar to John Elway. Which means he's also similar to Akili Smith-perhaps his game is far closer to Smith's when he came out of school, but still, we're talking about Elway and Smith, who went #1 and #3 in their drafts.

Ryan Mallett has very impressive size and arm strength, he's more athletic than people give him credit for, think of him as Ryan Leaf with Drew Bledsoe's feet, or just Drew Bledsoe.. either way, we're talking two guys that physically he resembles went #1 and #2 in their draft classes.

Blaine Gabbert arm, size, and athletic ability-wise is similiar to Roethlisberger and Freeman, not too shabby, ignore the stats and look at the physical tools and he's as impressive as any but Newton.

Then there's the darkhorse, 6'6 225 with a great arm and WR speed, he reminds me of former #37 overall pick Randall Cunningham, not a bad player to be compared to. From a tools standpoint, Colin Kaepernick is a top 10 talent. Better arm, speed, and mental capacity than Vince Young for sure.

All these players have their warts, but from a physical standpoint they are sure-fire first round picks, especially considering that most head coaches and offensive coordinators think that they are the special ones that can shine a turd. How else do you explain Jeff George going #1 overall despite a less than stellar college career and some of the worst footwork ever? Jason Campbell and his impressive size, arm, and above average athletic ability being a #1 draft pick despite being a caretaker in college? Jim Druckenmiller?

While it's true that the cerebral QBs in this draft aren't 1st round quality (Dalton) and there are no Matt Ryan/Philip Rivers-type off the chart intangbiles guy, these guys and their physical tools are enough to make these numerous QB needy teams drool. And considering it is unlikely there will be any free agency or trades made before the draft, these teams will want to address QB as early as possible, and that means the draft.

bucfan12
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
All the incoming QBs have flaws, but most of them have impressive enough physical tools that some team is going to fall in love with them.

Cameron Newton's got Vince Young's feet on Josh Freeman's body-nevermind the character and experience issues, physically he is a candidate for all-time leader in physical tools.

Jake Locker athletically is very similar to John Elway. Which means he's also similar to Akili Smith-perhaps his game is far closer to Smith's when he came out of school, but still, we're talking about Elway and Smith, who went #1 and #3 in their drafts.

Ryan Mallett has very impressive size and arm strength, he's more athletic than people give him credit for, think of him as Ryan Leaf with Drew Bledsoe's feet, or just Drew Bledsoe.. either way, we're talking two guys that physically he resembles went #1 and #2 in their draft classes.

Blaine Gabbert arm, size, and athletic ability-wise is similiar to Roethlisberger and Freeman, not too shabby, ignore the stats and look at the physical tools and he's as impressive as any but Newton.

Then there's the darkhorse, 6'6 225 with a great arm and WR speed, he reminds me of former #37 overall pick Randall Cunningham, not a bad player to be compared to. From a tools standpoint, Colin Kaepernick is a top 10 talent. Better arm, speed, and mental capacity than Vince Young for sure.

All these players have their warts, but from a physical standpoint they are sure-fire first round picks, especially considering that most head coaches and offensive coordinators think that they are the special ones that can shine a turd. How else do you explain Jeff George going #1 overall despite a less than stellar college career and some of the worst footwork ever? Jason Campbell and his impressive size, arm, and above average athletic ability being a #1 draft pick despite being a caretaker in college? Jim Druckenmiller?

While it's true that the cerebral QBs in this draft aren't 1st round quality (Dalton) and there are no Matt Ryan/Philip Rivers-type off the chart intangbiles guy, these guys and their physical tools are enough to make these numerous QB needy teams drool. And considering it is unlikely there will be any free agency or trades made before the draft, these teams will want to address QB as early as possible, and that means the draft.

I agree with all of this , but all of this is in the past. A lot of scouts are looking at recent busts and are evaluating QBs a lot better now. Seriously, many thought Jimmy Clausen was a top 10 guy last year, but 31 teams did there homework on him. Honestly, the film speaks for itself on a guy like Locker. He really isn't going to be an elite QB or Franchise guy in this league. I'll eat my words if this happens, but I just don't see it.

Gabbert I think will be the best QB in this draft and I also agree with you Brasho on Kaepernick. I think he is the most underrated guy in the draft and a team like Minnesota or San Fransisco would be ideal fits for him. I think 2-3 years from now, he could be the 2nd best QB , possibly best QB in this class. I just compare Gabbert to Freeman's situation in college and is better than the stats. Remember, a lot of scouts really didn't do there homework on Freeman and I bet you the Lions and Jets Front Office are kicking themselves in the @** right now. You have to look at the overall play and the environment these QB's are in.

RIght now, I'd rank them for who has definately declared/elligible:
1. Gabbert
2. Kaepernick
3. Devlin
4. Locker
5. Mallett
6. Dalton

Caulibflower
01-12-2011, 06:00 PM
I've been watching some tape of Gabbert, and the guy is just not that good. Locker is way better. People say Locker is inaccurate... Gabbert is erratic. He makes wild throws, and his receivers get jacked up all the time trying to catch his passes, which don't have a lot of zip on them. I'd rather have Locker than Gabbert, and I'd rather have Andy Dalton in the second than Gabbert in the first, easily. And if you were making me choose between Dalton and Gabbert in the first (hypothetically, obviously) I'd choose Dalton. Gabbert is flying up boards way too fast people Locker had bad stats this year and Luck is going back to school. Gabbert reeks of bust.

holt_bruce81
01-12-2011, 06:16 PM
I've been watching some tape of Gabbert, and the guy is just not that good. Locker is way better. People say Locker is inaccurate... Gabbert is erratic. He makes wild throws, and his receivers get jacked up all the time trying to catch his passes, which don't have a lot of zip on them. I'd rather have Locker than Gabbert, and I'd rather have Andy Dalton in the second than Gabbert in the first, easily. And if you were making me choose between Dalton and Gabbert in the first (hypothetically, obviously) I'd choose Dalton. Gabbert is flying up boards way too fast people Locker had bad stats this year and Luck is going back to school. Gabbert reeks of bust.

He does tend to leave a lot of balls high over the middle of the field.

brasho
01-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I agree with all of this , but all of this is in the past. A lot of scouts are looking at recent busts and are evaluating QBs a lot better now. Seriously, many thought Jimmy Clausen was a top 10 guy last year, but 31 teams did there homework on him. Honestly, the film speaks for itself on a guy like Locker. He really isn't going to be an elite QB or Franchise guy in this league. I'll eat my words if this happens, but I just don't see it.

Gabbert I think will be the best QB in this draft and I also agree with you Brasho on Kaepernick. I think he is the most underrated guy in the draft and a team like Minnesota or San Fransisco would be ideal fits for him. I think 2-3 years from now, he could be the 2nd best QB , possibly best QB in this class. I just compare Gabbert to Freeman's situation in college and is better than the stats. Remember, a lot of scouts really didn't do there homework on Freeman and I bet you the Lions and Jets Front Office are kicking themselves in the @** right now. You have to look at the overall play and the environment these QB's are in.

RIght now, I'd rank them for who has definately declared/elligible:
1. Gabbert
2. Kaepernick
3. Devlin
4. Locker
5. Mallett
6. Dalton

I think part of the problem with Clausen is that he does not have any outstanding physical traits. He's not very big (Bradford), he's not extremely accurrate (Ryan), he doesn't have a strong arm (Flacco), he doesn't have great mobility (Freeman), and he's not a great field general (Ryan)... so when this guy is in trouble or plays breakdown, he has no outstanding physical traits to rely on. Chad Pennington was extremely smart and accurrate and even as a young player he could rely on that, Freeman could make plays with his feet and size, Stafford could put a ball where nobody but his guy dared touch it... I really think scouts are more worried about that 10% physical side of the position over the 90% mental... coaches believe they could teach a goat how to play QB if he had the physical ability.

This is why I don't like Dalton or McElroy as first round picks even though both or either of them could turn out to be pretty good pros.

ThePudge
01-12-2011, 07:22 PM
You seem to be pretty conservative in regards to QBs. You don't like Kaepernick, Gabbert is a 2nd rounder... I don't think Gabbert gets past pick 15 or so for sure and I was thinking he was a potential 1st rounder as early as the Oklahoma game.

Where I seem conservative with some players, I'm aggressive with others. For instance, Cameron Newton and Jake Locker are my 1st and 2nd ranked Quarterbacks respectively. There's some dispute over whether either player belongs in the First Round, but I'd take them both in the Top 15. Andy Dalton is another guy I've been higher on since the bowl game and it'll be fun to see where he is compared to Locker/Ponder/Stanzi in Mobile.

On draft day, I'd like to say Blaine Gabbert would go Mid 1st-Early 2nd; however, as it stands today, I think you have to project him in the Top 10-15 overall with as many as 8 teams in that range unsettled at the Quarterback position. I think some team pulls the trigger too early on him and likely will rush him into early action, when he (moreso than anybody) needs to take a year to mature and settle in as a pro.

Kaepernick is just not a guy I believe in as a pro Quarterback. He could light up the Senior Bowl, prove me wrong, and rise up boards. If I were a betting man, however, I'd put my money on the Nevada product having a rough start to his week in Mobile. They won't be lining him up in any pistol formations and he's going to have to learn quick if he wants to stay on scouts' good side. Like Tony Pike a year ago, I expect Kaepernick to have a hard time finding a rhythm throwing the football taking snaps from under-center. I think Ricky Stanzi, Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, and Andy Dalton will all make an easier transition into the week and Kaepernick might be looking like the odd man out.

princefielder28
01-12-2011, 07:27 PM
The love for Gabbert is hilarious. I saw someone comment above about how Gabbert struggles while in the pocket but does a decent job on the move and outside the pocket. The NFL game is played in the pocket for a quarterback and if he struggles in that department, greatly, then either people aren't watching his game or they think that switch will come on with work.

I personally see him as nothing more than a borderline 2nd/3rd round pick as a developmental guy.

49erNation85
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
The love for Gabbert is hilarious. I saw someone comment above about how Gabbert struggles while in the pocket but does a decent job on the move and outside the pocket. The NFL game is played in the pocket for a quarterback and if he struggles in that department, greatly, then either people aren't watching his game or they think that switch will come on with work.

I personally see him as nothing more than a borderline 2nd/3rd round pick as a developmental guy.

That is what I'm saying.I mean for reals , he can't be the first QB off the board coming out of the spread . But what ever I guess.

TACKLE
01-12-2011, 07:33 PM

Totally agree. I don't see how a team can draft this guy in the first round expecting him to be their franchise QB and contribute early on. Like you said, I'm fine with him in the 3rd because he has the physical tools where he could develop into a good back up and possibly be a starter down the road. But this top 10 talk seems crazy, though I have a hunch that there might something to it.

TACKLE
01-12-2011, 07:34 PM
That is what I'm saying.I mean for reals , he can't be the first QB off the board coming out of the spread . But what ever I guess.

Are you familiar with a player by the name of Sam Bradford?

Chidi29
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM

If that comment was directed my way, I wasn't attempting to weigh either aspect. I was just giving an analysis of a game, not an actual scouting report of him overall. And my post had a very negative Gabbert tone to it.

GB12
01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a theory that people love Gabbert because he's the new guy. All season long Locker and the other QBs were talked about, while Gabbert didn't really enter the picture until after the college regular season ended. That gave a lot of time for them to be criticized and picked apart while Gabbert wasn't even talked about. I question how much of Gabbert most people have seen, or if they've even seen him at all. But since he's the fresh new guy everyone likes him. Until McShay put him in his top 5, nobody thought he was a first rounder. Now all of a sudden that's the common thought and some are even putting him in the top 10.

princefielder28
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
If that comment was directed my way, I wasn't attempting to weigh either aspect. I was just giving an analysis of a game, not an actual scouting report of him overall. And my post had a very negative Gabbert tone to it.

It did happen to be your post, and I completely agree with what you had to say in those terms; his game has tons of question marks.

Right now here's how i have the QBs ranked...

1. Ryan Mallet :: Arkansas*
2. Ricky Stanzi :: Iowa
3. Jake Locker :: Washington
4. Blaine Gabbert :: Missouri*
5. Pat Devlin :: Delaware
6. Andy Dalton :: TCU
7. Cam Newton :: Auburn*
8. Christian Ponder :: Florida State

I go with Mallet but very hesitantly because I'm most worried about the mental part of the game for him. I know lots of people will disagree with where I have Locker and Newton placed, but I'll comment, when it comes to Newton I see him as a product of the talent around him (not saying he isn't talented) and his mechanics and accuracy worry me greatly, much like T. Pryor.

brasho
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I have a theory that people love Gabbert because he's the new guy. All season long Locker and the other QBs were talked about, while Gabbert didn't really enter the picture until after the college regular season ended. That gave a lot of time for them to be criticized and picked apart while Gabbert wasn't even talked about. I question how much of Gabbert most people have seen, or if they've even seen him at all. But since he's the fresh new guy everyone likes him. Until McShay put him in his top 5, nobody thought he was a first rounder. Now all of a sudden that's the common thought and some are even putting him in the top 10.

He made some great plays against Oklahoma and if he can bring that "A" game with him to the pros, he could be good, especially considering his best weapon was TJ Moe, who likely projects to be a mide to late round pick a la Kerry Meier.

Chidi29
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
It did happen to be your post, and I completely agree with what you had to say in those terms; his game has tons of question marks.

Right now here's how i have the QBs ranked...

1. Ryan Mallet :: Arkansas*
2. Ricky Stanzi :: Iowa
3. Jake Locker :: Washington
4. Blaine Gabbert :: Missouri*
5. Pat Devlin :: Delaware
6. Andy Dalton :: TCU
7. Cam Newton :: Auburn*
8. Christian Ponder :: Florida State

I go with Mallet but very hesitantly because I'm most worried about the mental part of the game for him. I know lots of people will disagree with where I have Locker and Newton placed, but I'll comment, when it comes to Newton I see him as a product of the talent around him (not saying he isn't talented) and his mechanics and accuracy worry me greatly, much like T. Pryor.

I really can't decide on my rankings either. There just aren't any guys that have that complete package. A lot of these guys aren't even close to it. If I had to take a stab at my top eight right now, I would go with...

1. Ryan Mallet
2. Cam Newton
3. Nathan Enderle
4. Pat Devlin
5. Jake Locker
6. Colin Kapernick
7. Blaine Gabbert

It just seems like putting any of these guys in the top spot or two is misleading because I don't consider anyone here a sure star. Honestly, the most impressive of that list from what I've seen is Enderle. And while irrelevant to rankings, his value is going to be great.

I can see what you mean with Newton. The championship game was the first time I really watched him and his footwork was all over the place. Rarely had his feet set. And it's just crazy to see a guy go from JUCO, to getting a starting job, to playing well, to being lightly discussed as the #1 overall pick in the drafy in just a year.

RealityCheck
01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
1a. Ryan Mallett
1b. Blaine Gabbert
1c. Cameron Newton
4. Colin Kaepernick
5a. Jake Locker
5b. Pat Devlin
5c. Ricky Stanzi
5d. Nathan Enderle

The Senior Bowl should solve the second tie and some tape breakdown would do for the first...

Hurricanes25
01-12-2011, 09:06 PM
1. Ryan Mallet
2. Cam Newton
3. Nathan Enderle
4. Pat Devlin
5. Jake Locker
6. Colin Kapernick
7. Blaine Gabbert

It just seems like putting any of these guys in the top spot or two is misleading because I don't consider anyone here a sure star. Honestly, the most impressive of that list from what I've seen is Enderle. And while irrelevant to rankings, his value is going to be great.

Enderle at 3, really? What has he done to deserve that ranking. The guy is a terrible QB in WAC. I know people like his arm but wow.

JaxJag_1
01-12-2011, 09:27 PM
1. Andy Dalton
2. Pat Devlin
3. Blaine Gabbert
4. Christian Ponder
5. Ricky Stanzi
6. Jake Locker
7. Cam Newton
8. Colin Kaepernick
9. Ryan Mallett
10. Greg McElroy

Caulibflower
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
1. Cam Newton
2. Jake Locker
3. Andy Dalton
4. Ryan Mallett
5. Ricky Stanzi
6. Pat Devlin
7. Blaine Gabbert

I think Newton and Locker are the only ones who deserve to go in the first round, and they're both gambles who'll be drafted on physical talent. Mallett's got the physical talent, too, but I don't like him enough for the gamble. I think Dalton would be a good pick in the second for a team that needs a QB, and Stanzi, Devlin and Gabbert are guys I'd like to see drafted in the 3-4 range. With Luck going back to school, this is a pretty weak QB class.

Chidi29
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Enderle at 3, really? What has he done to deserve that ranking. The guy is a terrible QB in WAC. I know people like his arm but wow.

Do keep in mind this is a weak QB class. That gives Enderle a boost and really makes this race wide open.

Enderle can make every type of NFL throw. He'll throw the out, the slant, the fade in the end zone. I've watched him many times this year and he's made every type of throw you'd look for. He's got an arm but he is accurate too.

His pocket presence is pretty good although he can break down and start patting the football when he's flustered. I saw that against Nebraska. But overall, he does a good job of feeling the rush and buying time.

He's a fairly smart QB. He can audbile based on what he sees and as alluded to with the pocket presence, he knows where the rush is coming from. He does a good job of getting the ball out of his hand. I know the sack numbers wouldn't indicate that, but I'll get to that shortly.

It's a conventional offense. Lots of snaps under center and a good deal of playaction. That's a plus. He's got boatloads of experience reading coverages when dropping back.

His experience is as good as anyone. Been starting since he was a freshman although he's missed time with some injuries. Nothing major.

And he's made Idaho semi-relevant. Didn't make a bowl game this year (Although they were one win short of being bowl elgibile and their defense couldn't hold on to beat Fresno St. in the second to last game of the season). Remember that Enderle and the Vandals went bowling last year, beating Bowling Green in the last few seconds of the game, aided by Enderle heaving a pass a good 50 yards downfield to put them in a position to score, scoring, and then Enderle throwing the game-winning two-point conversion. In his last play as a Vandal, he threw a 20 yard slant to Eric Greenwood to beat San Jose St and give Idaho a win on Senior Night for the first time in years.

The numbers were down this year after having a spectacular junior season. Completion percentage down, interceptions up. And interceptions have always been an issue for him. He is a gunslinger and sometimes, that gets him into trouble. But keep in mind he lost his top running back,, his top WR in Max Komar, and the best Idaho lineman in a long time in Mike Iupati. His receivers killed him with drops and his line did an awful job of providing any sort of protection. When you're having to take five/seven step drops out of that conventional offense, there are times where the rush is all over you by the time you reach the end of your drop. That line was terrible this year.

The two biggest issues I see with him is that gunslinger mentality. Partly due to the other reason: he will make his fair share of poor decisions. No question. He pretty much threw right at a LB working underneath against Bosie. He got killed in that game and was eventually pulled in the 4th quarter.

But he's got the size (6'5 230+), arm, accuracy, experience, and pro offense going for him.

/mancrush

descendency
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
This isn't a weak QB class.

Chidi29
01-12-2011, 10:39 PM
This isn't a weak QB class.

For the QB position, if it isn't top heavy (It isn't. With Luck returning, there's no franchise QB and each guy has a ton of question marks around him) it's weak.

holt_bruce81
01-12-2011, 11:38 PM

This is what I see him as too, and I've watched pretty much every snap he's taken at Missouri.

nyqua
01-13-2011, 12:40 AM
I'll give my two cents, not really a scouter or someone who has a respected opinion but I'll give what I think.

Watched some youtube clips of Gabbert.....well he has the physical tools to me. But I wasn't really impressed by him. He gets out of the pocket way too much, plays in a spread system, but he made some nice throws now that I look back at it. He also had some quick screen easy throws, but I can see why some guys like him. He seems to look through his progressions to find the open guy, but also seems like he gets to throw to his first read in the spread system.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
The Dalton love on this forum is getting out of control. He's basically Jimmy Clausen with good intangibles

And despite what some people here think, that still isn't a top of the line QB

49erNation85
01-13-2011, 01:26 AM
The Dalton love on this forum is getting out of control. He's basically Jimmy Clausen with good intangibles

And despite what some people here think, that still isn't a top of the line QB

I see Dalton maybe a 4th round pick .

scpanther22
01-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Gabbert is the QB prospect who has generated the most momentum for being the top passer taken with Luck out of the mix. Though Gabbert played in the ever-more-prevalent spread offense at Missouri, NFL scouts do not seem to penalize him for it, as they have other recent spread quarterbacks entering the league. It might have something to do with him being about 6-4, 235, with a big arm.

"The thing that sticks out to me is that he's a lot more athletic than you think he is,'' the NFC scout said. "He's like Ben Roethlisberger and Josh Freeman, in that he's a guy who can extend the play even when he's got guys hanging off him. That's the trait that makes those guys so special. They're so big and they can shake guys off. He's not as strong as Roethlisberger and Freeman, but he has some of the same skills.''

Gabbert also gets high marks for largely carrying his team's offense, despite the lack of other great skills players. He scores well too in terms of his work ethic and football savvy.

"Missouri's spread offense isn't like Florida's,'' the scout said. "They don't have great athletes all around him and it's not a simple spread like in some places. He's doing it all on his own. You can see him scanning through his progressions, reading the field, and he has to move, extend the play, and create. And he's a mature kid and will put in the work. I could see him going near the top, in that third,Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/01/12/2011-nfl-draft/index.html#ixzz1AwVzV2p0

eazyb81
01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
All season I've thought Gabbert looked like a Joe Flacco clone, and I'm sticking with it. He has the size and tools scouts dream about - anyone that doubts his arm strength is clueless. However, he is very raw, and will require either a year to sit and learn a system or need an offensive coordinator who can run a basic gameplan his rookie year to keep him out of trouble, like how Sanchez and Flacco were babied their first year.

The lack of production argument has some merit, but Mizzou focused more on the running game this season - by both Gabbert and the RBs - then it had in recent memory. Also, as some analysts are beginning to point out, Mizzou didn't run a June Jones/Mike Leach type spread this year, where they're airing it out 60+ times a game. He also went through progressions more than your generic spread QB, which is why he's not getting knocked much for the system.

I can't stress enough how raw he is, but he stands out because his weak areas are all correctable by a good QB coach. Gabbert's biggest weakness is getting happy feet which leads him to abandon the pocket too fast, but that can be worked on. Great pedigree, elite size and arm, outstanding character and work ethic, team leader - he has QB tools to die for. The key for him is getting with a QB guru who can get the most of those tools, and given the arrogance of NFL coaches, I'm betting he will go much higher than most on here expect.

Babylon
01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I just wonder how he can stand out enough at the combine to seperate himself from the others. When you look at the consensus top 4 (Mallett, Locker, Newton and Gabbert) what area does he rank #1.

Production-no
Arm-no
Mobility-No
Accuracy-no
Character-no
Upside-????

It only takes one team to fall in love with the guy and i'm not saying he wont go in the first but where is the case for him being the top guy?

brasho
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I just wonder how he can stand out enough at the combine to seperate himself from the others. When you look at the consensus top 4 (Mallett, Locker, Newton and Gabbert) what area does he rank #1.

Production-no
Arm-no
Mobility-No
Accuracy-no
Character-no
Upside-????

It only takes one team to fall in love with the guy and i'm not saying he wont go in the first but where is the case for him being the top guy?

You could've said the same thing about Freeman, Sanchez, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Eli and numerous others that turned out well. On the other hand, Brian Brohm had great accuracy, J Russell had a great arm, Akili Smith had great mobility, Alex Smith had great accuracy, David Carr had great character, and they all had great upside... that being said, I know what you mean.

farfromforgotten
01-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Production-no
Arm-no
Mobility-No
Accuracy-no
Character-no
Upside-????

I don't really get why this matters. Especially with this years group of QBs. They all seem like projects to me in one way or another. Going by your list of attributes there let's say Newton would rank #1 in mobility and production of the 4 but would rank towards the bottom in the others... is that any better than if Gabbert were to rank say in the middle of just about every one? Or if Mallett would rank #1 overall arm and lower on the others? Just as examples. I think all these top 4 guys could be ranked differently in most categories if you took a poll of x number of people.

I don't know much about Gabbert but from what I've heard he'd probably rank towards the top in all those categories except for production, which I personally don't care all that much for. A lot of things factor into production... like surrounding talent.

Sorry for the terrible spelling/grammar. I'm on my phone and in a hurry!

JPP90
01-16-2011, 12:48 AM
I hope Locker turns heads at the Senior Bowl and makes it a 2 horse race or this is gonna be one sad QB class at the top. Usually the #1 QB does something to earn that title. At least a consensus #1 QB. Gabbert has bust written all over him. Basically, he will be a Buffalo Bill.

jrdrylie
01-16-2011, 01:07 AM
I hope Locker turns heads at the Senior Bowl and makes it a 2 horse race or this is gonna be one sad QB class at the top. Usually the #1 QB does something to earn that title. At least a consensus #1 QB. Gabbert has bust written all over him. Basically, he will be a Buffalo Bill.

I don't think the Bills are taking a QB in the first. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gabbert doesn't go in the top ten. Carolina, Denver, Dallas, and Cleveland certainly won't. I'd be shocked if Cincinnati goes QB. With no clear franchise guy, I think the Bills stick with Fitz, Wasington sticks with Grossman (God help help), and the Cardinals sign or trade for a veteran. I think the Niners are more likely to take Locker, leaving Tennessee as the only option to Gabbert.

Some say this is a pretty good QB class, but in a few years, I think this will be one of the worst. Gabbert has a high likelihood of being a top ten bust. I think Mallet and Newton far really far (second round for both maybe) and bust. Even Locker has serious question marks. But I think he ends up being the best, with Dalton (whom I believe the Jags will take in the third) will be the next best (but not a star by any means).

Docta
01-16-2011, 03:10 AM
I'll give my two cents, not really a scouter or someone who has a respected opinion but I'll give what I think.

Watched some youtube clips of Gabbert.....well he has the physical tools to me. But I wasn't really impressed by him. He gets out of the pocket way too much, plays in a spread system, but he made some nice throws now that I look back at it. He also had some quick screen easy throws, but I can see why some guys like him. He seems to look through his progressions to find the open guy, but also seems like he gets to throw to his first read in the spread system.
That could change with an NFL offensive line.

And if you're just watching youtube clips, people are going to single out plays like that.

Verloren
01-16-2011, 05:47 AM
That could change with an NFL offensive line.

And if you're just watching youtube clips, people are going to single out plays like that.
Gabbert leaves the pocket too much on a 3 man rush. Not to mention he could stay in the pocket for 2-3 more seconds most of the time. I highly doubt a NFL offensive line will help at all since there are very good pass rushers there too.

JPP90
01-16-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't think the Bills are taking a QB in the first. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gabbert doesn't go in the top ten. Carolina, Denver, Dallas, and Cleveland certainly won't. I'd be shocked if Cincinnati goes QB. With no clear franchise guy, I think the Bills stick with Fitz, Wasington sticks with Grossman (God help help), and the Cardinals sign or trade for a veteran. I think the Niners are more likely to take Locker, leaving Tennessee as the only option to Gabbert.

Some say this is a pretty good QB class, but in a few years, I think this will be one of the worst. Gabbert has a high likelihood of being a top ten bust. I think Mallet and Newton far really far (second round for both maybe) and bust. Even Locker has serious question marks. But I think he ends up being the best, with Dalton (whom I believe the Jags will take in the third) will be the next best (but not a star by any means).

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but its the Bills we're talking about. Aaron Maybin over Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews. CJ Spiller with 2 adequate RBs on the roster and absolutely no need to jump on the position 1st round. Expect the unexpected. Fitz had a nice year so I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up to 1 and grabbed Newton over Gabbert or something.

wordofi
01-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I think with Gabbert it's all going to come down to where he winds up. Landing in the right situation will be of the utmost importance for him.

moTIGS
01-17-2011, 03:58 AM

Production-no
Arm-no
Mobility-No
Accuracy-no
Character-no
Upside-????

I realize it was in high school, and I know the guys he's competing with in this draft weren't there, but Gabbert was the overwhelming MVP of the Elite 11 camp when he attended in 2007. This year's draft doesn't have anyone else from that year's camp, but it could have, and that guy would've been the #1 pick. Gabbert has a history of doing extremely well in these types of settings.

And wtf do you even know about his character? I've read all kinds of rumors about Mallett, and Newton's issues are well documented. Maybe Locker spends his free time feeding sick babies or something, but I don't know of any reason to criticize Gabbert's character.

moTIGS
01-17-2011, 04:02 AM

TJ Moe is a glorified Tommie Saunders, Egnew is worse than both Rucker and Coffman and Jackson was extremely inconsistent in about every way.

And past those three he had nothing.

He was throwing to guys who would never see the field for previous Mizzou offenses. Quarterbacks who have no one to throw to usually aren't very productive.

JPP90
01-17-2011, 04:11 AM
TJ Moe is a glorified Tommie Saunders, Egnew is worse than both Rucker and Coffman and Jackson was extremely inconsistent in about every way.

And past those three he had nothing.

He was throwing to guys who would never see the field for previous Mizzou offenses. Quarterbacks who have no one to throw to usually aren't very productive.

Lol...you should explain that logic to the Locker haters on here. Hell you may even be one..but clearly you shouldn't be.

Quailman
01-17-2011, 07:29 AM
What do these people all have in common?

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/6308-1/AndreWoodson7.jpghttp://images.athlonsports.com/d/16758-1/JevanSnead.jpghttp://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/10/blaine-gabbert-p1.jpghttp://theredzonereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/brian_brohm.jpg

If you guessed:

http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/todd-mcshay.jpg

Congratulations! Here is your prize:

http://backseatcuddler.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/full_nicole_snooki_polizzi_09_wenn2706889.jpg

TACKLE
01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
There's two thinks I'm really starting to believe lately:

#1 - Blaine Gabbert will be a Top 10 pick and will likely be the #1 QB taken

#2 - Blaine Gabbert will be the worst college football player I personally have ever seen go in the top 10.

FUNBUNCHER
01-17-2011, 03:20 PM
There are no 'sleeper' QB prospects when you're talking about the top 10 picks.

Gabbert was an afterthought two months ago, and now he's considered by some to be the best available pro prospect at QB in the 2011 draft??

Either that's an indictment against ALL the top QB prospects, or someone IMO is clueless.

Mizzou has recruited solid skill position talent for several years now. They may not be incredible pro talents, but they are good enough to compete in the Big 12.

Saying that Gabbert had a lack of talent around him when someone like Locker was literally a one-man-band most Saturdays is a cop-out for Gabbert supporters.

Gabbert is a nice developmental prospect, but he is NOT an elite talent at QB.

IMO Gabbert is the definition of hype and brings little more than height, some mobility, arm strength and questionable accuracy to the table.

How that suddenly translates into a top 5 pick, or #1 overall is still a mystery to me.

A Perfect Score
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
There are no 'sleeper' QB prospects when you're talking about the top 10 picks.

Gabbert was an afterthought two months ago, and now he's considered by some to be the best available pro prospect at QB in the 2011 draft??

Either that's an indictment against ALL the top QB prospects, or someone IMO is clueless.

Mizzou has recruited solid skill position talent for several years now. They may not be incredible pro talents, but they are good enough to compete in the Big 12.

Saying that Gabbert had a lack of talent around him when someone like Locker was literally a one-man-band most Saturdays is a cop-out for Gabbert supporters.

Gabbert is a nice developmental prospect, but he is NOT an elite talent at QB.

IMO Gabbert is the definition of hype and brings little more than height, some mobility, arm strength and questionable accuracy to the table.

How that suddenly translates into a top 5 pick, or #1 overall is still a mystery to me.

Its funny, because that sounds an awful lot like Cam Newton to me.

Also, Gabbert is severely overrated. Late first? Sure, Ill buy that. He's got the tools to succeed at the NFL level and someone will take a gamble on that. He certainly made the right move declaring now that Luck went back. I think the combine/pro day will be HUGE for him in displaying some things that we really need to see.

Ugh, this QB class is downright awful.

RealityCheck
01-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Some years from now we'll all be laughing at who took Newton, Mallett and Gabbert, as Kaepernick will be having a Michael Vick-like season, despite being a 3rd round pick.

ThePudge
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Its funny, because that sounds an awful lot like Cam Newton to me.

Also, Gabbert is severely overrated. Late first? Sure, Ill buy that. He's got the tools to succeed at the NFL level and someone will take a gamble on that. He certainly made the right move declaring now that Luck went back. I think the combine/pro day will be HUGE for him in displaying some things that we really need to see.

Ugh, this QB class is downright awful.

What did Gabbert do to earn his lofty grades? Cameron Newton may have burst on the scene but there's no exaggerated "hype" in saying Newton was the best player in college football this past year. Blaine Gabbert wasn't that much of a difference maker on his team, where Newton took a team that normally would have lost 3-4 games min. to an NCAA Championship.

Now, he's also 6'5 240 with a big arm and excellent mobility/athleticism. He's going to be seen by some as a top NFL prospect. I don't think there is that much "hype" surrounding Newton as many hold the opinion that he's not close to a Top 10 pick at the position. In a class with no clear-cut #1 QB (could be one of four guys depending where you look) Newton's upside/college success is going to draw some high consideration. We know there will likely be 2 or more QBs selected in the Top 10 picks and right now I don't see any way there will be two that deserve to go there... but they will. This is a weak class so all value will be inflated.

Really, the only thing Gabbert has on Newton is starting experience. I think Cam is a superior player/prospect in every imaginable way. I also think Gabbert's immaturity shows much more on tape than any character issues that Newton may/may not possess.

Chidi29
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Watched another game of Gabbert and I'm still not seeing what people are enamored with. He was woefully inaccurate. His receivers did have a couple of drops, but he'll lose pretty much all accuracy throwing downfield. His deep passes were generally nowhere close and passes over the middle started to nose-dive into the ground as the game went on.

I will be going back and watching the bowl game where I know his statline was pretty good, but this guy is not a Top 10 pick. Not even a first rounder at this moment.

FUNBUNCHER
01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
If Newton had performed to the level of Gabbert the last two seasons, Auburn wouldn't have won the NC or even been in the game, and he wouldn't have won the Heisman.

Gabbert may resemble Newton physically as a prospect in shorts and a tee shirt, but not in pads when the score of the games actually counts.

Newton has all kinds of game over Gabbert as a football player, it's not even close.

A Perfect Score
01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
What did Gabbert do to earn his lofty grades? Cameron Newton may have burst on the scene but there's no exaggerated "hype" in saying Newton was the best player in college football this past year. Blaine Gabbert wasn't that much of a difference maker on his team, where Newton took a team that normally would have lost 3-4 games min. to an NCAA Championship.

Now, he's also 6'5 240 with a big arm and excellent mobility/athleticism. He's going to be seen by some as a top NFL prospect. I don't think there is that much "hype" surrounding Newton as many hold the opinion that he's not close to a Top 10 pick at the position. In a class with no clear-cut #1 QB (could be one of four guys depending where you look) Newton's upside/college success is going to draw some high consideration. We know there will likely be 2 or more QBs selected in the Top 10 picks and right now I don't see any way there will be two that deserve to go there... but they will. This is a weak class so all value will be inflated.

Really, the only thing Gabbert has on Newton is starting experience. I think Cam is a superior player/prospect in every imaginable way. I also think Gabbert's immaturity shows much more on tape than any character issues that Newton may/may not possess.

I wasnt comparing the two as prospects, merely speculating that FUNBUNCHER's description of Gabbert sounds very similar to how Newton can be described as a pro prospect.

the natural
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Blaine just turned 21 awhile back. He didn't have the benefit of being coached from birth by former NFL QBs. But he has all the tools, physical and mental. Top drawer. Plus he has the ideal disposition for the job. Competitive, but not over the top. Confident, but not arrogant. Easy going, but not soft. As for his production, it isn't out of line for most top picks at QB over the years. His final season was so-so compared to some other players in the draft, but he had a very impressive sophomore year, and wasn't redshirted as a freshman. I like him a lot more than Bradford from last year.

ThePudge
01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I wasnt comparing the two as prospects, merely speculating that FUNBUNCHER's description of Gabbert sounds very similar to how Newton can be described as a pro prospect.

Ok, I'm just strongly disagreeing with the "hype" word. Where did Newton get his hype? An incredible college football season that saw him take his team to a National Championship, contribute 50 Touchdowns (30 passing, 20 rushing), and win the Heisman trophy. What's the source of Blaine Gabbert's hype? Todd McShay.

Now, this next part is for other posters, not necessarily you APS...

If you're not impressed by Gabbert's film, take a look at his stat-lines, they'll re-affirm your beliefs. The guy threw 475 passes on the year in a pass-happy spread offense that is designed to inflate passing numbers. Unfortunately for Gabbert, that wasn't the case as he finished the season with a pedestrian 16:9 Td:Int ratio. Newton threw 280 passes, 30 of them were Td's. I'm not a big numbers guy, but Cam threw Td's on 10.7% of his passes... Gabbert, a measly 3.3%.... if you want to broaden that number to include other top prospects: Mallett 7.8%, Locker 5.1%.

Another stat I like, though as I said before I'm by no means a number junky, is yards per attempt. The comparison starts with Newton a top the list (10.2), Ryan Mallett (9.4), Jake Locker (6.82), and finally, Blaine Gabbert (6.7). I mean when you break down the numbers, not only does Gabbert have some of the worst pocket presence of any QB in recent memory, he really wasn't very productive in an offense that is built for Quarterbacks to produce.

He lacks maturity on and off the field as well, with numerous accounts here from Mizzou students/fans attesting to that. He certainly doesn't play with poise and his pocket awareness may be the worst I've ever seen. That may not get him into a ton of trouble at the college level, but Gabbert is out of his mind if he intentionally leaves his protection like this in the NFL. I don't consider him a great leader on/off the field and his command of the huddle/his team is suspect.

So please, anyone, give me one sound reason why you'd be better off taking Blaine Gabbert Top 10 over Cameron Newton. As I said before, the only thing you could possibly like more about Gabbert is starting experience, but that doesn't say too much about your ability to play QB at an NFL level.

wordofi
01-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I think he lights it up at the combine and is gone by the middle of the 1st round. He'll be no shorter than 6'4" and weigh at least 230 lbs. Also, he'll probably run about a 4.7.

descendency
01-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I refuse to draft a QB in a spread offense at Missouri who fails to put up more than 16 TDs.

edit: You read that right, I said "refuse to draft" and not "refuse to draft in the first round".

edit2: His numbers are pedestrian for a Pro-style offense going against elite competition. His numbers are abysmal for below average competition in a spread offense.

Even if you watch his film, you won't go "Wow that was an amazing game from him".

ElectricEye
01-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Pudge is owning this thread again. I completely agree. I really like Gabbert's physical tools, but there's just waaaaay too much that doesn't check out. He really doesn't even look like a high level collegian quarterback on tape. His footwork is downright laughably bad for a guy starting in the Big XII, let alone for an NFL prospect. No pocket presence whatsoever. I question his vision too as he really doesn't seem to see the field very well.

I actually think he regressed more than a little this year. I was a lot more impressed with him last season than I was this one.

hockey619
01-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Gabbert is big with an arm. Thats really all he has.

Hes inaccurate, showed little ability to make reads, made questionable decisions, and seems abrasive and not the leader type. Id be very dissappointed if i was the fan of a team that took him with the intention of making him the franchise qb.

JaxJag_1
01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
In a handful of years we'll look back at this draft class when Gabbert, Mallett, Locker, and Newton are all NFL busts, marginal starters, or back-ups after being 1st round picks and many people will be in disbelief that they could rank them above guys like Andy Dalton and Pat Devlin who will go on to have very good to great NFL careers as starting NFL quarterbacks.

SRK85
01-18-2011, 01:10 AM
It all depends where Gabbert ends up. If his development is not rushed he could be a fine QB. He needs to sit on the bench for at least year.

papageorgio
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
In a handful of years we'll look back at this draft class when Gabbert, Mallett, Locker, and Newton are all NFL busts, marginal starters, or back-ups after being 1st round picks and many people will be in disbelief that they could rank them above guys like Andy Dalton and Pat Devlin who will go on to have very good to great NFL careers as starting NFL quarterbacks.

Or we'll look back and cant believe that this class became as good as the 2004 draft class and have 3 great quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

No one can predict the future and I think Newton,Locker and even Mallet will be great players.

Shane P. Hallam
01-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Or we'll look back and cant believe that this class became as good as the 2004 draft class and have 3 great quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

No one can predict the future and I think Newton,Locker and even Mallet will be great players.

I think I will eat my hat if this class ends up in 04's category. It is possible if they all end up in the right places, but the more I am watching, the more and more I feel like there isn't a true franchise QB here.

D-Unit
01-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Does he get picked in the Top 8?

DiG
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM

im hoping so

http://dreamalittledream.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/LolCatRenderer2.aspxtopDOESWANTbottomsize60imagena mecheeses.jpg

the natural
01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
I think he lights it up at the combine and is gone by the middle of the 1st round. He'll be no shorter than 6'4" and weigh at least 230 lbs. Also, he'll probably run about a 4.7.

He was 6"4 3/4" coming out of high school. 232 pounds at the time. He will run closer to 4.5 in the 40 than 4.7. Give the guy his due.

descendency
01-18-2011, 05:32 PM

I hope so. One fewer team that takes Robert Quinn is one fewer teams the Patriots will have to jump to get him.

FUNBUNCHER
01-18-2011, 05:56 PM
He was 6"4 3/4" coming out of high school. 232 pounds at the time. He will run closer to 4.5 in the 40 than 4.7. Give the guy his due.
Are you saying you think Gabbert will run close to 4.5??

That's really blazing speed for any QB not named Vick.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
no chance gabbert puts up that time

when i watch gabbert i see jake locker except a couple inches taller and maybe a tenth of a second slower in the 40

the natural
01-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure if Locker was there, but Gabbert won the QB footraces at the Nike and EA Sport elite camps. He was close to 230 pounds at the time as well.

ViperVisor
01-18-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure if Locker was there, but Gabbert won the QB footraces at the Nike and EA Sport elite camps. He was close to 230 pounds at the time as well.

June 2, 2007
Gabbert consistently runs the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds. (http://journalstar.com/sports/football/college/article_78efc4f8-25d5-597c-8857-56e2d7901f54.html)

gpngc
01-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Blaine just turned 21 awhile back. He didn't have the benefit of being coached from birth by former NFL QBs. But he has all the tools, physical and mental. Top drawer. Plus he has the ideal disposition for the job. Competitive, but not over the top. Confident, but not arrogant. Easy going, but not soft. As for his production, it isn't out of line for most top picks at QB over the years. His final season was so-so compared to some other players in the draft, but he had a very impressive sophomore year, and wasn't redshirted as a freshman. I like him a lot more than Bradford from last year.

These are the key words.

This is a QB-driven league.

When you combine those two key words, you get a guy who will go very, very high in the draft. ESPECIALLY in a draft class in which EVERY QB has glaring flaws.

Whether he lives up to his draft position is a whole other story.

But you've got to look at it from a coaches perspective. You see a kid with pro size, a pro arm, and pro intangibles - if you're halfway confident in your abilities you want a chance to develop and mold this clay into something special.

There are only a handfull of QBs each year with true NFL quarterback disposition in all basic phases (size, arm, intangibles). These guys CAN struggle in accuracy, decision-making, and footwork because NFL coaches believe (right or wrong) that THEY can markedly improve those aspects of the prospect's game.

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Gabbert's but I can definitely see WHY some team will take him very high.

Iamcanadian
01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
I think he will go top 5 maybe even #1 overall. Does need a solid post season though.

edgrenade
01-18-2011, 09:51 PM
All you have to know is that McShay REEALLYY likes Gabbert, and that tells you everything about him...

FUNBUNCHER
01-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't have a problem with Gabbert going top 11-25.

But top 5 for him is beyond a reach. Being a great pro prospect is about more than perceived 'disposition' and physical 'tools'.

He simply does not make enough plays in game situations for me to consider him a top 3-5 pick, or the top QB prospect overall.

If this is the new model for scouting/drafting QB prospects, where everything matters way more than a scrub performance on the field, there are NFL teams that are going to get burned bad.

Look at the four QBs left in the NFL playoffs; Cutler, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and Sanchez.

Forget about their intangibles and tools, instead take a look at the numbers each one put up their last season in college.

To a one, they were ALL dominant college football players, guys who carried their teams and could impact the final outcome in the win/loss column by their play ALONE.

A stud QB prospect IMO has to show that he's been a gamer on Saturdays, not merely adequate or better than pathetic.

ThePudge
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
But you've got to look at it from a coaches perspective. You see a kid with pro size, a pro arm, and pro intangibles - if you're halfway confident in your abilities you want a chance to develop and mold this clay into something special.

See this is what I don't see. Someone this frantic in the pocket with such little awareness doesn't strike me as a guy with top intangibles. We've heard accounts from Missouri fans reflecting they feel the kind entered college as a very immature kid and has only grown up so much. I don't think he plays like he has strong intangibles and I don't know where people get the impression that he has pristine character.

If you go to the film, he may have the ideal physical tools teams would look for, but he really wasn't even a very good football player. He was a relatively average Quarterback this season and I have a hard time believing teams will be lining up for the guy. He may wind up being a Mid-1st Round Pick but I really am not buying any Top 10 talk. I don't think he'll fool as many scouts/coaches as he does fans.

BPhilb
01-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Those around the program and the guys on the team speak glowingly of him. It really seems that the intangible talk is mostly about that. Our local beat writer here in Missouri states that he very much studied the game and knew the offense well. As far as on the field production, his stats were a bit deceiving this year. We didn't have a great red zone threat as we have in years past at Mizzou which lead to a lot of rushing touchdowns in that area compared to years past. He was brilliant in beating OU and at A&M. At Nebraska he was brutal in it appeared to carry over for the remaining part of the regular season. There are legitimate concerns about Gabbert, but I wouldn't say he wasn't productive or dominate in college. He really could have used another year in college, but over time I think he will be a very productive QB at the NFL level and worth taking a chance on with a top 5 pick because his upside is that of a super bowl winning QB.

brat316
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I think he'll end up like Josh Freeman, a fringe first rounder. But a team is going to take him for future help rather than immediate help like the Seahawks. Someone that doesn't need to rush him on the field.

He has the tools, but its like gpngc said it just takes 1 coach who this he can make him into a finished product. McDaniels thought he could do that with Tim Tebow.

gpngc
01-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Well you can't see intangibles.

No one can.

But you can get that vibe with the interviews and talking to his coaches. None of us have those sources. The major publications (ESPN, CBS, SI, Mayock, etc.) have insight that we don't have (scouts, college coaches, etc.) Based on the logic that his game film isn't exactly great yet all these places are putting him high and based on what I've read (and the mysterious rise up the charts), I've come to the conclusion that his intangibles are viewed as a strength. Maybe I'm wrong - I don't know the kid. But why is he so high? Reminds me of Alex Smith's meteoric rise (of which I was extremely skeptical as well).

I don't even like Gabbert.

But when you're talking about draft position if you're willing to concede that he's worthy of a mid-first round pick it's definitely not a stretch to assume he'll actually be taken higher for three reasons:

-He's a QB and the value of that position has somehow actually increased in today's NFL.
-The demand for QBs is extremely high and the supply is terribly low.
-This draft class kinda sucks.

I probably wouldn't take ANY of these QBs high this year. My argument is just that Gabbert will be selected high.

SRK85
01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Refer to these vidoes about his skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWbCF2UicI

It has been stated before he is very inconsistent but since this draft lacks a clear number 1 QB prospect he will be drafted a lot higher than he should. I don't think he should be considered to be a top 10 pick but some team will draft him within the top 10 since QB is the most coveted position in the NFL. But with that being said he probably has to most upside compared to the other QBs in this draft.

the natural
01-19-2011, 01:49 AM
I think Blaine will get a huge boost on draft day based on the performances of Josh Freeman and Joe Flacco in recent times. Both of those players came in regarded as raw "tool" prospects, and as a consequence dropped into the second half of the first round. Yet Flacco and Freeman have arguably turned out to be the best of their class. Gabbert fits into the Flacco/Freeman mold in a lot of ways. Any teams looking for QB help this year aren't going to take a chance on getting him with the 17th or 18th pick of the draft.

Iamcanadian
01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't have a problem with Gabbert going top 11-25.

But top 5 for him is beyond a reach. Being a great pro prospect is about more than perceived 'disposition' and physical 'tools'.

He simply does not make enough plays in game situations for me to consider him a top 3-5 pick, or the top QB prospect overall.

If this is the new model for scouting/drafting QB prospects, where everything matters way more than a scrub performance on the field, there are NFL teams that are going to get burned bad.

Look at the four QBs left in the NFL playoffs; Cutler, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and Sanchez.

Forget about their intangibles and tools, instead take a look at the numbers each one put up their last season in college.

To a one, they were ALL dominant college football players, guys who carried their teams and could impact the final outcome in the win/loss column by their play ALONE.

A stud QB prospect IMO has to show that he's been a gamer on Saturdays, not merely adequate or better than pathetic.

Only Sanchez came out before finishing his senior year. Gabbert has an upside that cannot be ignored. As a junior he wasn't a finished prospect, ditto for Sanchez, but both will go on to have a shot at a great career.

FUNBUNCHER
01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
You can't really compare Sanchez coming out of USC his junior year to Gabbert.

Even though Gabbert has better tools, Sanchez was an elite talent on the field for USC.
Again, I can accept that Gabbert is rated a 1st round prospect by some, but I don't understand this talk about going in the top 5, or #1.

brat316
01-19-2011, 11:51 AM

Even though Gabbert has better tools, Sanchez was an elite talent on the field for USC.
Again, I can accept that Gabbert is rated a 1st round prospect by some, but I don't understand this talk about going in the top 5, or #1.

Cause he has the tools.
Same with Lockers he has the tools.

Both are raw, but both have size, and arm. But the technical stuff they don't have and there is a coach out there that thinks they can change him and teach him. Thats how they end up in the top 5.

Also add that they both can have tremendous potential and that how you end up in the top 5. Usually thats the case with the draft, how much potential can the player offer you? With the tools, and my ability to coach them up will they be a star, depth chart player, ST, role player?

It usually gets broken down further in the tools department, what do they have, what do they lack, special size and speed, or average..ect.

I'm not to big on the Qbs this draft, but how can he be rated higher than Locker? Both are about the same, from the physical standpoint.

the natural
01-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Draft day is just a snapshot. It's different from the snapshots just prior to it, and sometimes very different from the snapshots (redrafts) after it. But from a salary perspective, it is the only one that matters. Gabbert seems to be playing the perfect shot so far in terms of maximizing his payday. From coming out right off the top, to signing with CAA (7 of last 9 first overall picks), to training under Terry Shea (Stafford, Freeman, Bradford) in Phoenix. I really think he goes in the top two picks, although not necessarily to the teams that hold those picks at the moment.

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
I think Blaine will get a huge boost on draft day based on the performances of Josh Freeman and Joe Flacco in recent times. Both of those players came in regarded as raw "tool" prospects, and as a consequence dropped into the second half of the first round. Yet Flacco and Freeman have arguably turned out to be the best of their class. Gabbert fits into the Flacco/Freeman mold in a lot of ways. Any teams looking for QB help this year aren't going to take a chance on getting him with the 17th or 18th pick of the draft.

Both those guys were fairly dominant in college, Gabbert was pretty much just an average Big XII Quarterback.

I'll go back to some of the stats I chose to illustrate earlier in comparing Gabbert's effectiveness/efficiency to that of the other QBs in this draft class. Let me compare YPA and % of passes thrown that went for Td's. I'm only going to take the final year of college for each due to the fact that they are drafted largely on the most recent tape they have to offer. The fact that Joe Flacco faced FCS competition should be acknowledged.

Yards Per Attempt
Flacco - 8.2
Freeman - 7.7
Gabbert - 6.7

Touchdowns Per Attempt
Freeman - 5.3%
Flacco - 4.4%
Gabbert - 3.3%

Basically, what these statistics help me do is gauge the players' effectiveness as college Quarterbacks.

I was pretty compelled to broaden that study a little further. I'm going to include Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, and Cameron Newton with every QB drafted in the 1st Round since 2005 to illustrate how big a gap there is between Gabbert and the next worst college football player to be considered a 1st Round Prospect.

Blue indicates a Top 10 Pick
Green indicates a pick in the 11-32 range

Yards Per Attempt
Cameron Newton - 10.2
Jason Campbell - 10.0
Sam Bradford - 9.8
Ryan Mallett - 9.4
Alex Smith - 9.3
Vince Young - 9.3
Tim Tebow - 9.2
JaMarcus Russell - 9.1
Matthew Stafford - 9.0
Matt Leinart - 8.9
Mark Sanchez - 8.8
Joe Flacco - 8.2
Aaron Rodgers - 8.1
Josh Freeman - 7.7
Brady Quinn - 7.3
Matt Ryan - 6.9
Jake Locker - 6.8
Jay Cutler - 6.7
Blaine Gabbert - 6.7

-Note: Spread guys typically are near the top, pro-style guys toward the bottom; however, you'll notice Blaine Gabbert ranks dead last despite a high-powered spread scheme.

TD% (per attempt)
Newton - 10.7
Bradford - 10.4
Smith - 10.1
Sanchez - 9.3
Russell - 8.2
Young - 8.0
Quinn - 7.9
Mallett - 7.8
Rodgers - 7.6
Campbell - 7.4
Tebow - 6.7
Stafford - 6.5
Leinart - 6.5
Freeman - 5.3
Locker - 5.1
Ryan - 4.7
Cutler - 4.5
Flacco - 4.4
Gabbert - 3.3

- Now... I'm not saying top to bottom these stats indicated the better players, but this is a fair tool to use when breaking down the effectiveness of these guys as college players. These college numbers really don't mean much in terms of how NFL-ready a guy is or how talented he is, but they are fairly significant in determining draft position because college production does play a part on draft day.

Seeing as picking in the Top 10 requires an enormous investment, I think teams will be careful not to take a mediocre college player simply for development sake. Blaine Gabbert sounds more like a 2nd Round project to me. In the end, I think he probably finds a spot in the mid-late 1st because of the enormous demand this year, but by no means is he guaranteed a spot in the opening round. His game leaves a lot to be desired.

Iamcanadian
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Not that it means a whole lot but Kiper's first mock which just came out and lists Gabbert at #5 and Draft Countdown lists him as their 10th best prospect and we all know that if he is ranked that high he will go even higher in the draft to some QB desperate team.

the natural
01-19-2011, 12:18 PM

For their career, I think Gabbert and Sanchez had nearly identical TD/Int numbers, and Blaine had more passing yards. Sanchez had a bit higher completion percentage. Blaine is a year younger than Sanchez was coming out as well.

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Not that it means a whole lot but Kiper's first mock which just came out and lists Gabbert at #5 and Draft Countdown lists him as their 10th best prospect and we all know that if he is ranked that high he will go even higher in the draft to some QB desperate team.

Those aren't NFL boards. If Scott and Mel get this wrong it doesn't mean a thing, if an NFL team gets this wrong it's somebody's job. Scott and Mel both liked Jimmy Clausen as a Top 10 prospect and we saw what happened there. No team was willing to spend 1st Round money on the guy despite QBs being in huge demand. The only NFL source I've seen with a take on Blaine Gabbert didn't like him at all. He may be pulling the sheet over the heads of many draftniks, but not me, and I highly doubt NFL teams will be lining up for an average Big XII Quarterback.

Teams are desperate for QBs but that doesn't mean they have to act rashly out of desperation. Several veteran names on the market available for trade while they wait to get their guy another time or draft someone like Dalton, Devlin, Stanzi, or Ponder to groom.

papageorgio
01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Those aren't NFL boards. If Scott and Mel get this wrong it doesn't mean a thing, if an NFL team gets this wrong it's somebody's job. Scott and Mel both liked Jimmy Clausen as a Top 10 prospect and we saw what happened there. No team was willing to spend 1st Round money on the guy despite QBs being in huge demand. The only NFL source I've seen with a take on Blaine Gabbert didn't like him at all. He may be pulling the sheet over the heads of many draftniks, but not me, and I highly doubt NFL teams will be lining up for an average Big XII Quarterback.

Teams are desperate for QBs but that doesn't mean they have to act rashly out of desperation. Several veteran names on the market available for trade while they wait to get their guy another time or draft someone like Dalton, Devlin, Stanzi, or Ponder to groom.

This guy threw 16 tds in a pass happy spread offence and hes a top 5 pick.

Are these draft experts taking crazy pills, Blaine Gabbert as a top five pick even top 20 pick is like a bad dream coming true.

BPhilb
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Missouri had 1 senior on offense this year and just two the year before. He was working with a young cast and I don't see any of the current WR's getting drafted. There is some talent on Missouri's offense, but it's not like it's littered with what USC had for Sanchez. Missouri won 8 and 10 games with the guy and I can't imagine any of the other Big 12 teams wouldn't have traded their QB's in a heartbeat for him. I respect your opinion, but I don't think the whole picture is being looked at here.

raynman
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
he is the best* QB in a really weak QB class...actually a really weak draft class overall. there has to be some QB hyped and since no one is allowed to hype cam newton because they can't get their minds around the idea that he is not jamarcus russell or vince young, they are hyping gabbert.

there isn't a QB in this class that is really worth a top 5 pick. in most drafts these guys would be 2nd rounders at best.

*"best" is a stretch. newton is the best QB in this class, none are pro-ready.

Iamcanadian
01-19-2011, 03:05 PM
he is the best* QB in a really weak QB class...actually a really weak draft class overall. there has to be some QB hyped and since no one is allowed to hype cam newton because they can't get their minds around the idea that he is not jamarcus russell or vince young, they are hyping gabbert.

there isn't a QB in this class that is really worth a top 5 pick. in most drafts these guys would be 2nd rounders at best.

*"best" is a stretch. newton is the best QB in this class, none are pro-ready.

I disagree. Every year people criticize the QB class, especially the top guys. Ryan lasted till the 3rd pick(Miami is still ctying over passing on him) and Flacco lasted even longer, nobody really liked Sanchez or Freeman and even Mayock questioned Stafford. Most questioned Bradford being from a spread offense. This year's crop could go either way, with 4 guys all getting round 1 attention, Gabbert, Newton, Mallet and Locker. This QB class could be disappointing or it may just turnout to be special. 3 of the guys are juniors and you just don't know how well they will adjust to the next level.
Luck had to be an idiot for not coming out with a possible rookie salary cap on the horizon.

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Missouri had 1 senior on offense this year and just two the year before. He was working with a young cast and I don't see any of the current WR's getting drafted. There is some talent on Missouri's offense, but it's not like it's littered with what USC had for Sanchez. Missouri won 8 and 10 games with the guy and I can't imagine any of the other Big 12 teams wouldn't have traded their QB's in a heartbeat for him. I respect your opinion, but I don't think the whole picture is being looked at here.

I disagree. Give me Landry Jones or Brandon Weeden over him any day of the week. For their respective teams, I think Ryan Tannehill and Robert Griffin were much better college players than Gabbert ever was. Out of those, I'd agree Gabbert is close to the best prospect; however, I think Landry Jones is better in that regard.

If QBs were this easy to evaluate and draft there'd be no point of having draftniks or a draft. I think people have done kind of a lazy job evaluating him. Big, strong-armed, mobile =/= Good player or good prospect.

Iamcanadian
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
I disagree. Give me Landry Jones or Brandon Weeden over him any day of the week. For their respective teams, I think Ryan Tannehill and Robert Griffin were much better college players than Gabbert ever was. Out of those, I'd agree Gabbert is close to the best prospect; however, I think Landry Jones is better in that regard.

If QBs were this easy to evaluate and draft there'd be no point of having draftniks or a draft. I think people have done kind of a lazy job evaluating him. Big, strong-armed, mobile =/= Good player or good prospect.

Your certainly right about people and teams having different opinions about QB's in particular. Many teams passed on Roethlisberger, Flacco, and Freeman, while others disrepected Ryan, and Sanchez. We'll just have to wait and see on Gabbert.
Just an interesting note that Morris, the Tampa Bay HC, coached Freeman in college and insisted Tampa Bay draft him otherwise they might have passed also.

Brown Leader
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM

It's not desperation for a team like Buffalo or Cincinnati-that have established vets at the position and have an opportunity to take a talented QB prospect and allow him to sit for a year or two.

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 04:01 PM
It's not desperation for a team like Buffalo or Cincinnati-that have established vets at the position and have an opportunity to take a talented QB prospect and allow him to sit for a year or two.

I couldn't disagree more. In the Second Round each would be making a nice move, but at 3rd or 4th Overall I'd consider that an enormous reach. You don't take an average college Quarterback in the Top 10, it's as simple as that for me. There's no reason for Gabbert to ever be considered with a Top 5 pick. Whether you're able to develop him or not, there's no way he's worth consideration with that kind of draft spot/money.

Iamcanadian
01-19-2011, 04:07 PM

In the salary cap era, it is almost impossible for a team to sit a very high pick for a year or 2, especially QB's when both carry a high salary figure. You are tying up so much money in one position that you are bound to lose solid FA's right and left

Iamcanadian
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I couldn't disagree more. In the Second Round each would be making a nice move, but at 3rd or 4th Overall I'd consider that an enormous reach. You don't take an average college Quarterback in the Top 10, it's as simple as that for me. There's no reason for Gabbert to ever be considered with a Top 5 pick. Whether you're able to develop him or not, there's no way he's worth consideration with that kind of draft spot/money.

I wonder how many teams would take a Roethlisberger, Freeman or a Flacco with a high pick in retrospect. Gabbert is a much better prospect than your giving him credit for. Certainly no QB is a total guarantee in the draft but Gabbert's upside is top notch, far better than any round 2 prospect, does that guarantee success, never, but it is certainly worth the risk if you want to become a winner in the NFL. Miami passed on Ryan for a very solid pro LT, but what direction are they moving without a solid QB, Atlanta bit the bullet and are now a very solid SB contender and will be for years to come.

the natural
01-19-2011, 04:21 PM
I wonder how many teams would take a Roethlisberger, Freeman or a Flacco with a high pick in retrospect. Gabbert is a much better prospect than your giving him credit for. Certainly no QB is a total guarantee in the draft but Gabbert's upside is top notch, far better than any round 2 prospect, does that guarantee success, never, but it is certainly worth the risk if you want to become a winner in the NFL. Miami passed on Ryan for a very solid pro LT, but what direction are they moving without a solid QB, Atlanta bit the bullet and are now a very solid SB contender and will be for years to come.

Gabbert's college numbers look almost identical to Freeman's to me. Other than the fact that Josh played more as a true frosh, while Blaine had Chase Daniels ahead of him. As sophs and juniors the numbers were uncannily similar. They are about the same size and close to the same age coming out. Flacco put up better numbers but he had to drop down a couple levels of competition to even get a starting job. He couldn't beat out Tyler Palko at Pitt. Rothlisberger also put up his college numbers against lower level competition in the MAC. I can't see that Gabbert is any less a prospect than those three coming out.

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM

I'm with you, Quarterback is by far the most important position on the field and guys like Roethlisberger and Freeman absolutely would have been terrific picks in the Top 5-10 (ignoring the fact they'd go to lesser teams.) I was one of those that had Matt Ryan at the top of my board and thought the Dolphins would be wise to go in that direction.

I tried to illustrate earlier how much better I thought Flacco/Freeman were as college football players. I agree Gabbert has excellent upside, which is why I'd consider him in the Late 1st-Early 2nd Round. I don't think he's far from what Jason Campbell was as an NFL Quarterback prospect. He's a pretty average Big XII QB on film and certainly didn't ever dominate like Flacco & Freeman showed they were capable of in college. There is plenty of upside there, but he's pretty much just physical tools right now.

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Gabbert's college numbers look almost identical to Freeman's to me. Other than the fact that Josh played more as a true frosh, while Blaine had Chase Daniels ahead of him. As sophs and juniors the numbers were uncannily similar. They are about the same size and close to the same age coming out. Flacco put up better numbers but he had to drop down a couple levels of competition to even get a starting job. He couldn't beat out Tyler Palko at Pitt. Rothlisberger also put up his college numbers against lower level competition in the MAC. I can't see that Gabbert is any less a prospect than those three coming out.

I want to re-post this because you seem convinced that Gabbert stacks up production wise to what a 1st Round Quarterback should look like... I put some work into it and you should consider taking just a quick look (notably at the bottom of each list.)

Blue indicates a Top 10 Pick
Green indicates a pick in the 11-32 range

Yards Per Attempt
Cameron Newton - 10.2
Jason Campbell - 10.0
Sam Bradford - 9.8
Ryan Mallett - 9.4
Alex Smith - 9.3
Vince Young - 9.3
Tim Tebow - 9.2
JaMarcus Russell - 9.1
Matthew Stafford - 9.0
Matt Leinart - 8.9
Mark Sanchez - 8.8
Joe Flacco - 8.2
Aaron Rodgers - 8.1
Josh Freeman - 7.7
Brady Quinn - 7.3
Matt Ryan - 6.9
Jake Locker - 6.8
Jay Cutler - 6.7
Blaine Gabbert - 6.7

-Note: Spread guys typically are near the top, pro-style guys toward the bottom; however, you'll notice Blaine Gabbert ranks dead last despite a high-powered spread scheme.

TD% (per attempt)
Newton - 10.7
Bradford - 10.4
Smith - 10.1
Sanchez - 9.3
Russell - 8.2
Young - 8.0
Quinn - 7.9
Mallett - 7.8
Rodgers - 7.6
Campbell - 7.4
Tebow - 6.7
Stafford - 6.5
Leinart - 6.5
Freeman - 5.3
Locker - 5.1
Ryan - 4.7
Cutler - 4.5
Flacco - 4.4
Gabbert - 3.3

- Now... I'm not saying top to bottom these stats indicated the better players, but this is a fair tool to use when breaking down the effectiveness of these guys as college players. These college numbers really don't mean much in terms of how NFL-ready a guy is or how talented he is, but they are fairly significant in determining draft position because college production does play a part on draft day.

Seeing as picking in the Top 10 requires an enormous investment, I think teams will be careful not to take a mediocre college player simply for development sake. Blaine Gabbert sounds more like a 2nd Round project to me. In the end, I think he probably finds a spot in the mid-late 1st because of the enormous demand this year, but by no means is he guaranteed a spot in the opening round. His game leaves a lot to be desired.

Babylon
01-19-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm with you, Quarterback is by far the most important position on the field and guys like Roethlisberger and Freeman absolutely would have been terrific picks in the Top 5-10 (ignoring the fact they'd go to lesser teams.) I was one of those that had Matt Ryan at the top of my board and thought the Dolphins would be wise to go in that direction.

I tried to illustrate earlier how much better I thought Flacco/Freeman were as college football players. I agree Gabbert has excellent upside, which is why I'd consider him in the Late 1st-Early 2nd Round. I don't think he's far from what Jason Campbell was as an NFL Quarterback prospect. He's a pretty average Big XII QB on film and certainly didn't ever dominate like Flacco & Freeman showed they were capable of in college. There is plenty of upside there, but he's pretty much just physical tools right now.

I'm with you on Gabbert who i think would have been a much better prospect had he stayed another year. When mentioning Ben, Flacco and Freeman i think it's important to note that Gabbert doesnt have their physical tools.

the natural
01-19-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm with you on Gabbert who i think would have been a much better prospect had he stayed another year. When mentioning Ben, Flacco and Freeman i think it's important to note that Gabbert doesnt have their physical tools.

Which tools doesn't he have compared to these guys? He may not have quite the size of Flacco, but he is a lot more mobile and has a quicker release. He may not be as athletic as Freeman, but he has a stronger arm. He may not be as strong as Roethlisberger, but he seems like he will be a helluva lot smarter. I don't see Gabbert fourth on this list in any single "tool" category.

armageddon
01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Gabbert is a Roethlisberger clone.

Babylon
01-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Which tools doesn't he have compared to these guys? He may not have quite the size of Flacco, but he is a lot more mobile and has a quicker release. He may not be as athletic as Freeman, but he has a stronger arm. He may not be as strong as Roethlisberger, but he seems like he will be a helluva lot smarter. I don't see Gabbert fourth on this list in any single "tool" category.

Arm:

1. Flacco
2. Ben
3. Freeman
4. Gabbert

Mobility:

1. Ben
1a. Freeman
3. Gabbert
4. Flacco

Thats' how is see it.

Iamcanadian
01-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Hopefully, Gabbert attends the Combine and works out, then we will get a true read on his abilities.

D-Unit
01-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I mentioned earlier in a thread about Sam Bradford busting the myth of Spread Option QBs how in the future NFL teams will look more favorably upon QBs coming from this system. Looks like I didn't have to wait long for that to come to fruition as Gabbert is the prime example.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the myth will go back into action once Gabbert busts. He's no Sam Bradford.

draftguru151
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Gabbert is a Roethlisberger clone.

Physically yea, but Big Ben is amazing when things break down, Gabbert is beyond horrendous.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Arm:

1. Flacco
2. Ben
3. Freeman
4. Gabbert

Mobility:

1. Ben
1a. Freeman
3. Gabbert
4. Flacco

Thats' how is see it.

I agree with that completely.

SolidGold
01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I mentioned earlier in a thread about Sam Bradford busting the myth of Spread Option QBs how in the future NFL teams will look more favorably upon QBs coming from this system. Looks like I didn't have to wait long for that to come to fruition as Gabbert is the prime example.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the myth will go back into action once Gabbert busts. He's no Sam Bradford.

I agree with you D-Unit with one caveat: That Spread-Option QBs built like prototypical drop back passers are the types of QBs that NFL talent evaluators covet.

I really do not understand the Gabbert hype, I was more impressed with him in 2009, his first season as starter. I won't discount him as a prospect but I do not think he is merits anything earlier than late first round consideration. He has the arm, size and mobility needed to be sucessful. It all depends on how coachable he is and what kind of head he has on his shoulders. He pretty much became the media's golden boy once Luck went back to school (probably due to the fact the media couldn't talk about Luck anymore).

the natural
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I agree with you D-Unit with one caveat: That Spread-Option QBs built like prototypical drop back passers are the types of QBs that NFL talent evaluators covet.

I really do not understand the Gabbert hype, I was more impressed with him in 2009, his first season as starter. I won't discount him as a prospect but I do not think he is merits anything earlier than late first round consideration. He has the arm, size and mobility needed to be sucessful. It all depends on how coachable he is and what kind of head he has on his shoulders. He pretty much became the media's golden boy once Luck went back to school (probably due to the fact the media couldn't talk about Luck anymore).

Gabbert was really highly rated coming into college. Well ahead of Luck, whom he blew away that the elite camps they both attended together. Then Blaine played as a true frosh while Luck redshirted. Then Gabbert had twice as many passing yards and TDs the following year than Luck did. It's only the past year that Luck has emerged and been regarded ahead of Gabbert.

HorusKing
01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
The kid can play he adds to the talent pool.

raynman
01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Gabbert was really highly rated coming into college. Well ahead of Luck, whom he blew away that the elite camps they both attended together. Then Blaine played as a true frosh while Luck redshirted. Then Gabbert had twice as many passing yards and TDs the following year than Luck did. It's only the past year that Luck has emerged and been regarded ahead of Gabbert.jimmy clausen was an absolute stud in high school and was one of the, if not the most highly sought after players heading into college. see how that worked out?

Babylon
01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
jimmy clausen was an absolute stud in high school and was one of the, if not the most highly sought after players heading into college. see how that worked out?

Josh Booty, Ryan Perriloux, Rhett Bomar and Mitch Mustain all come to mind. Being a highly touted highschooler means squat when translated to the pros.

Cicero
01-20-2011, 05:16 PM

The Oklahoma spread is much more "pro-ish" than the Missouri spread and Bradford was able to put up god-like numbers where as Gabbert's accomplishments are pretty meh.

Huisinga24
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Gabbert is incredibly un-clutch and has horrendous decision making. Yes, he has prototypical size and a nice arm. However, he has been extremely overhyped. IMO he is a 2nd round prospect at best.

the natural
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
jimmy clausen was an absolute stud in high school and was one of the, if not the most highly sought after players heading into college. see how that worked out?

Actually, wasn't Clausen projected to go top 5 in the draft by most last year? As far as Gabbert is concerned, his college career was more impressive than Luck's right up to about the mid point of the 2010 season. That was when Luck and Stanford slaughtered Locker and Washington. That got Andrew the attention. At that point Gabbert (who passed for twice as many yards and TDs in 2009 as I mentioned) was 7-0 at Missouri and his passing numbers were right there with Luck for 2010. Then Blaine got banged up, the team lost a couple of games badly, his passer rating went for a crap and that was pretty much it for the Mizzou season. Luck stayed healthy, Stanford stayed on top, and he was the newest flavor of the month from about mid November to the point he announced he was returning to school.

ElectricEye
01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

There's no real myth about spread quarterbacks anymore. You have to look past statistics and offenses these days to see what's underneath. Scouting quarterbacks requires you to be more objective than ever, that's for sure.

FUNBUNCHER
01-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Actually, wasn't Clausen projected to go top 5 in the draft by most last year? As far as Gabbert is concerned, his college career was more impressive than Luck's right up to about the mid point of the 2010 season. That was when Luck and Stanford slaughtered Locker and Washington. That got Andrew the attention. At that point Gabbert (who passed for twice as many yards and TDs in 2009 as I mentioned) was 7-0 at Missouri and his passing numbers were right there with Luck for 2010. Then Blaine got banged up, the team lost a couple of games badly, his passer rating went for a crap and that was pretty much it for the Mizzou season. Luck stayed healthy, Stanford stayed on top, and he was the newest flavor of the month from about mid November to the point he announced he was returning to school.

Please don't compare Luck to Gabbert. Luck was being hyped after the 2009 season, not 2010.

the natural
01-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Josh Booty, Ryan Perriloux, Rhett Bomar and Mitch Mustain all come to mind. Being a highly touted highschooler means squat when translated to the pros.

I think these guys get sorted at the elite camps. They are all there competing directly against each other in position specific drills as well as in game conditions. Gabbert was #2 I think, on Nike's top all time Elite Camp performances behind Matthew Stafford. Clausen and Luck didn't make the list, nor did any of the guys you mention above. Josh Freeman was on it, down a ways. Tebow near the end. Locker and Mallett, I believe were on it.