PDA

View Full Version : Are There Really Five 1st Round Worthy QB's In This Draft?

purplepat
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
OK...many teams in the top half of the draft could use a better QB than the one they have now. No question about that.

But you see lots of talk about how Luck, Gabbert, Mallett, Newton, and Locker are all likely to be selected in the first half of the first round of this draft, assuming they all declare to be eligible. My question is, are these guys all really that good, or are they only projected this highly because so many teams need a QB? If so many teams didn't need help at QB, would they still be looked at as 1st round talent?

I remember lots of early talk last offseason about how Clausen was a top ten pick, McCoy top half of round one, yet look where they wound up going. Many thought Tebow was a 3rd round or later project.

Are there really five franchise quality QBs in the first round of this draft, or do we have one franchise guy, one average guy, and three busts/backups?

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
One or two can fall out. Mallett seems to be tanking due to character concerns and Newton might experience the same fate depending on how he handles the process. If Locker sucks at the Senior Bowl he'll drop too

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
What are Mallett's character concerns?

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
it's all smoke but there's questions about his intelligence, the "type of guy" he is and drug concerns

purplepat
01-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, but the question is "Are they that good"?, or are all of them except Luck (and maybe including him) just huge gambles...yeah, their game might translate to the pro game, maybe not....

romo4prez415
01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I only see 4 1st round qb's. Mallet being the 1 left out. Like another poster said his character issues are a problem and i'm not into spreading rumours without concrete facts but usually where there is smoke there is fire and I wouldnt touch this kid with a 10foot pole.

Grizzlegom
01-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I think there's a good chance. Even with all the questions about Mallett, Locker, Newton, and Gabbert, I'd be surprised if any of them fall completely out of the first. Even if some of them start to fall into the 20s, I'd be surprised if teams don't start to trade up. Should be interesting to say the least and who knows, maybe this turns into the best QB class since 1983, its on his way with one 'best QB prospect ever' guy and multiple others that are being considered elite even though they all have different tool sets and strengths/weaknesses.

SolidGold
01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I have come away pretty impressed with Mallet. I think his character concerns are overblown. He has performed well this season. Based on physical attributes and upside I think he warrants mid-to late first round consideration.

jrdrylie
01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
What are Mallett's character concerns?

I have heard that he is a fan of cocaine. Also, he is from Texarkana, TX (a place I unfortunately lived for a year), which is home to a lot of meth. Drug and intelligence concerns are all over the place. Not sure if anything has been proven. But with so much smoke, there is bound to be fire somewhere.

Babylon
01-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I think talent wise there are 5 capable of going in the first and i think the combine and Senior Bowl (For Locker) will validate that. There may be a huge drop for someone like in 83 when Marino went late in the first because of smoking weed but on a pure talent basis i would say most definitely.

This isnt a group that has some undersized guy that has put up gaudy numbers, all these players are 6-3 and 230lbs and up and they all have arms capable of making all the pro throws. Very bullish on this group.

It is odd to have so many but you're basically draining the pipe line of 3 years of players, Locker being a senior down to Luck being a sophomore. It'll get very sparse next year furthering the need to get one now.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Next year could be dire. The top senior QB would be...Kirk Cousins? Pryor? Obviously a Barkley or Landry Jones type would declare early to take advantage of that but still

RaiderNation
01-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Gabbert is still a 2nd round pick for me. If he has some great workouts though he could sneak into the late 1st

yourfavestoner
01-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I have heard that he is a fan of cocaine. Also, he is from Texarkana, TX (a place I unfortunately lived for a year), which is home to a lot of meth. Drug and intelligence concerns are all over the place. Not sure if anything has been proven. But with so much smoke, there is bound to be fire somewhere.

He's been arrested for cocaine possession before, and I've read multiple places that he's a big fan of the white lady.

Who knows though. Most people go through an experimental phase in college. I think you'd be suprised by the amount of guys that do some serious drugs.

Random thought, but I always wondered about Desean Jackson. He went to college at the drug capitol of the US and didn't gain a single pound from high school, despite being in a DI strength and conditioning program for four years.

keylime_5
01-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Well there's the one guy everyone will agree is a stud franchise surefire #1 overall pick in Andrew Luck. After him there is Newton, Gabbert, and Mallett who aren't sure things and have a lot of question marks but have great tools and tremendous upside who will be first round picks just because teams won't pass up guys with the type of tools they have. Locker has tools but had an awful year and doesn't display the accuracy or passing skills of the previous three guys, I would be surprised if he snuck into the first round after the season he's had but crazier things have happened.

I think the thing with Mallett is his personality and the fact that hearing him talk is reminiscent of Lil' Kev from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-04-2011, 04:15 PM
big difference between smoking some weed and doing hard drugs

similar huge difference between having your WR doing hard drugs and your QB, too

FUNBUNCHER
01-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Now Mallett has been arrested for cocaine possession??

I need confirmation on this.

fenikz
01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't see Gabbert as a 1st rounder at all, I think someone has greatly misled him into thinking he will be drafted high but i see nothing more than a late 2nd-3rd round pick

Hurricanes25
01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I know Mallett was arrested for public intoxication but I never heard that he was arrested for cocaine.

marshallb
01-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Now Mallett has been arrested for cocaine possession??

I need confirmation on this.

I had heard nothing of that as well. I knew he was arrested for public intoxication, but I knew nothing of a cocaine possession, and can't find anything either. I know that he's been rumored to have done cocaine, but not that he's been arrested.

princefielder28
01-04-2011, 04:30 PM
of the five listed I think Locker has the best chance to fall out of round one...honestly I only see Luck and Mallet as worthy of first round consideration

Shahin
01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Random thought, but I always wondered about Desean Jackson. He went to college at the drug capitol of the US and didn't gain a single pound from high school, despite being in a DI strength and conditioning program for four years.

Berkeley is the drug capitol of the US?

wordofi
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
it's all smoke but there's questions about his intelligence, the "type of guy" he is and drug concerns

If Mallett scores less than 20 on the Wonderlic, run.

wordofi
01-04-2011, 04:55 PM

He's talking about Vallejo.

wordofi
01-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't see Gabbert as a 1st rounder at all, I think someone has greatly misled him into thinking he will be drafted high but i see nothing more than a late 2nd-3rd round pick

I think he should stay for his senior year, but I can't see him falling out of the 1st round. There's too many teams who need a quarterback.

Babylon
01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
of the five listed I think Locker has the best chance to fall out of round one...honestly I only see Luck and Mallet as worthy of first round consideration

Not going to get into a food fight over this but do you actually think he wont shine at the combine? If it doesnt matter then he should just save the airfare and stay home.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
He's been arrested for cocaine possession before, and I've read multiple places that he's a big fan of the white lady.

Who knows though. Most people go through an experimental phase in college. I think you'd be suprised by the amount of guys that do some serious drugs.

I know a guy that plays for Cal now a RB named Covaughn Deboskie and him and some other guys in the program always talk about him and now he never lifted weights, worked out, etc. He'd go in the weight room and talk **** to some guys, goof around, but light it up on the field. They said he didn't do **** his entire time there which probably explains him not getting any bigger, but scary to think he can be that good without really putting in alot of extra effort.

PossibleCabbage
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
I have come away pretty impressed with Mallet. I think his character concerns are overblown. He has performed well this season. Based on physical attributes and upside I think he warrants mid-to late first round consideration.

Well, I'm pretty sure that NFL teams are going to come after Mallet pretty hard in the combine interviews, to try to suss out out how much of a jerk he really is. Even if he's well coached by his agent, I'm pretty sure they can get candid answers from some of the assistant coaches at Arkansas. So if there's something there about his character concerns, we really won't know about it until the actual draft happens. Apparently there was something to the concerns about Clausen last year, considering how he fell.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mallet has a similar fall. Remember that NFL teams tend to value "leadership" (whatever that means) as a characteristic of QB prospects above and beyond how much amateur and professional draftniks do. In large part, because actual NFL teams have significantly more access. The rest of us are just dealing in rumors and speculation.

Babylon
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure that NFL teams are going to come after Mallet pretty hard in the combine interviews, to try to suss out out how much of a jerk he really is. Even if he's well coached by his agent, I'm pretty sure they can get candid answers from some of the assistant coaches at Arkansas. So if there's something there about his character concerns, we really won't know about it until the actual draft happens. Apparently there was something to the concerns about Clausen last year, considering how he fell.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mallet has a similar fall. Remember that NFL teams tend to value "leadership" (whatever that means) as a characteristic of QB prospects above and beyond how much amateur and professional draftniks do. In large part, because actual NFL teams have significantly more access. The rest of us are just dealing in rumors and speculation.

The thing is he isnt alone. Mallett, Newton and Gabbert are going to be scrutinized. On the other side of the room you have the two choir boys in Locker and Luck.

yourfavestoner
01-04-2011, 05:34 PM

Not Berkeley, but the Bay Area in general.

descendency
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
No, there are not 5 first round grade QBs. One of them is getting a super inflated grade for a nothing. If he's a first rounder, then so is Pat Devlin.

Hurricanes25
01-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Right now I rank them....

1. Andrew Luck
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Cam Newton
4. Jake Locker
5. Blaine Gabbert

RaiderNation
01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Bay Area!!!! We got w/e you

Haha but back to the topic, Im surprised of all the Gabbert love. I know stats arent everything for a prospect, but he hasnt put up godly numbers like the other QB's this uear and he played in a spread.

FUNBUNCHER
01-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I think there's gonna be a run on QBs in this draft and there could be a perfect storm that results in 4 guys drafted in the top ten, maybe 2 or 3 more taken in the top 32-45 picks.

If the class of 2012 looks weak at QB, now is the year to grab one.

JPP90
01-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Not going to get into a food fight over this but do you actually think he wont shine at the combine? If it doesnt matter then he should just save the airfare and stay home.

You should be used to this by now.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't want to throw anything out about Mallett that hasn't been proven or backed up as a fact.

However,

I think that there will be a lock of three 1st round quarterbacks with the potential to be 4.

I would say that Luck, Mallett, and Newton are locks in the 1st. I think that Jake Locker could wind up dropping to a late 1st/early 2nd round pick. With Gabbert being a top 50 pick at this point.

SRK85
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I doubt 5 qbs will got in the 1st round. There are some QBs that will be available via trade most notably, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, and McNabb. Granted all these QBs have been in the league for a while. I find it hard to believe this QB draft class has 5 1st rounders. If Luck does not declare it will end up like this.
Locker-top 10
Cam Newton-top 15
Mallet-15+
Blaine Gaberrt-Late 1st early 2nd

papageorgio
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Does anyone see any similarity's between the prospects of the 2004 QB class and the 2011 QB class

Luck=Eli Manning
Mallet= Rivers
Newton= Big Ben
Locker= JP Losman

I think theres gonna be 3 genuine stars and at least one bust from this class.

CameronCropper
01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Does anyone see any similarity's between the prospects of the 2004 QB class and the 2011 QB class

Luck=Eli Manning
Mallet= Rivers
Newton= Big Ben
Locker= JP Losman

I do not see that at all.

Ryan Mallett has a much stronger arm than Rivers and Rivers' superior footwork and accuracy made him a much more complete prospect than Mallett will ever be.

ericzedwards
01-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I might get crucified for this one, but when I look at Mallett, all I see is Jamarcus Russell 2.0. He's all arm talent with an empty head. I personally wouldn't touch a quarterback in the first round that's as bad at communicating with other humans as he is. An idiot in interviews is still an idiot on the field. Props to the guy who made the Always Sunny Lil' Kev comparison.

Hey, at least if these cocaine accusations prove true he won't have Russell's weight issues. I wouldn't dismiss those rumors quickly. It wouldn't be the first Arkansas quarterback that loved the All-American drug. Just sayin'.

bullg8rdaddy
01-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I don't see how some people are so high on Cam.

/FWIW, putting all Gator Bias aside.

Babylon
01-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I might get crucified for this one, but when I look at Mallett, all I see is Jamarcus Russell 2.0. He's all arm talent with an empty head. I personally wouldn't touch a quarterback in the first round that's as bad at communicating with other humans as he is. An idiot in interviews is still an idiot on the field. Props to the guy who made the Always Sunny Lil' Kev comparison.

Hey, at least if these cocaine accusations prove true he won't have Russell's weight issues. I wouldn't dismiss those rumors quickly. It wouldn't be the first Arkansas quarterback that loved the All-American drug. Just sayin'.

I thought he showed some leadership out there tonight. Russell's problem was lack of motivation and too many burgers, Mallett doesnt seem to have that problem

ericzedwards
01-04-2011, 11:42 PM
I thought he showed some leadership out there tonight. Russell's problem was lack of motivation and too many burgers, Mallett doesnt seem to have that problem

Yeah you're right. Even if every rumor surrounding him is true, Mallett is probably still a better human being and a much better leader that Russell ever could be. I mainly just meant in terms of people falling in love with the arm and ignoring the brain. That last interception looked pretty stupid. Yeah, zone blitzes are hard to read, but he'll be seeing them in the NFL.

ChiFan24
01-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Mallet= Rivers

Yeah, that's really not even close in any area, except they're both tall (and even then, Mallet is 2 inches taller). Mallet's best case comparison is probably Drew Bledsoe. You could probably get away with saying Ponder is a poor man's Phillip Rivers, though.

PossibleCabbage
01-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Yeah you're right. Even if every rumor surrounding him is true, Mallett is probably still a better human being and a much better leader that Russell ever could be. I mainly just meant in terms of people falling in love with the arm and ignoring the brain. That last interception looked pretty stupid. Yeah, zone blitzes are hard to read, but he'll be seeing them in the NFL.

Really, unless I'm totally and completely misremembering 2007 there really wasn't much in the way of concern about Russell as a human being or a football player going into the draft. I think the case with Jamarcus was just a classic case of "money changes people in unpredictable ways.'

CameronCropper
01-04-2011, 11:48 PM

Yeah, because being lazy makes you a terrible human being.

Hate when people judge prospects as human beings as if they're in a position to do so, for all we know Ryan Mallett could stalk the streets of Arkansas at night and murder prostitutes.

ericzedwards
01-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Really, unless I'm totally and completely misremembering 2007 there really wasn't much in the way of concern about Russell as a human being or a football player going into the draft. I think the case with Jamarcus was just a classic case of "money changes people in unpredictable ways.'

The bad human being comment was based on what we all know about him now. But even in 2007, I thought Russell was a moron and hated him as an NFL prospect. I was a Brady Quinn kind of guy, you see. Ha.

ChiFan24
01-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Drug arrests don't help.

ericzedwards
01-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Hate when people judge prospects as human beings as if they're in a position to do so, for all we know Ryan Mallett could stalk the streets of Arkansas at night and murder prostitutes.

Whoa, it was just some hyperbole. Jamarcus, if you're reading this thread and were offended, I apologize.

49erNation85
01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't see how some people are so high on Cam.

/FWIW, putting all Gator Bias aside.

I'm with you on that one.I mean sure he put one hell of season to bring Auburn to the tittle game.But still the only thing he has going for him is arm power and speed / HB abilities etc.He better throw at the combine to show he can make those deep throws in front of the NFL crew.My top 3 QB s are Luck , Locker and Mallet.Newton be second round but with so many teams needing a QB all will be gone mid first round .I just 49ers grab either Locker or some how trade up to the first pick and snag up Luck and be with Hargbough again .

Babylon
01-04-2011, 11:51 PM

Luck=Eli Manning
Mallet= Rivers
Newton= Big Ben
Locker= JP Losman

I'm trying to figure what those two have in common.

JPP90
01-04-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm trying to figure what those two have in common.

JP was a bust and so will be Locker, get it? I saw right through that.

CameronCropper
01-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Drug arrests don't help.

Taking drugs makes you a bad human being?

Whoa, it was just some hyperbole. Jamarcus, if you're reading this thread and were offended, I apologize.

I wasn't being entirely specific towards JaMarcus/Mallett, it's just one of those things that has never really sat well with me about the whole draft process. It's understandable that you need to do some digging into a person's character/history to ensure that your investment in them is not going to be wasted.

Make a couple of mistakes when you're 19-22 (and most people do) and you've got this "character concerns" tag over you for the rest of your life.

jballa838
01-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Make a couple of mistakes when you're 19-22 (and most people do) and you've got this "character concerns" tag over you for the rest of your life.
I have not seen the police report, but cocaine possession is different than Calvin Johnson admitting he had smoked weed. Hard narcotics are something that you can be hooked on for a lifetime, which is why this is more serious. I will agree though, these prospects are not given the same leeway as other college kids, and LaMichael James choking out his girlfriend does not make him better or worse on a football field, in a weight room, or anywhere else that relates to football.

FUNBUNCHER
01-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm with you on that one.I mean sure he put one hell of season to bring Auburn to the tittle game.But still the only thing he has going for him is arm power and speed / HB abilities etc.He better throw at the combine to show he can make those deep throws in front of the NFL crew.My top 3 QB s are Luck , Locker and Mallet.Newton be second round but with so many teams needing a QB all will be gone mid first round .I just 49ers grab either Locker or some how trade up to the first pick and snag up Luck and be with Hargbough again .
There was no more clutch player in college football this past season than Cam Newton.

NONE.

If you're gonna rank Newton at best as a mid first rounder, IMO it would help to break down his game in a bit more detail than saying 'the only thing he has going for him is arm power and speed/HB abilities etc,'.

I've never seen an instance where there was a moment in the game that was too big for Cam.
The bigger the stakes, IMO the better he plays.

Cam is an unusual football player, as in highly unique. Dismissing him blindly is a mistake.

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2011, 12:40 AM
1 thing that's obvious to me is alot of these QB's need to sit and learn as a rookie behind a veteran to make the transition easy, but of course that means it won't happen. Luck is the only guy who needs to be starting right away. Fitzpatrick in Buf, Orton and McNabb are some other QB's who could go to a new team and transition the rookie QB in.

I like Locker, Newton, Gabbert, and Mallet alot better if they had 1 of those veterans in front of them and had a chance to just learn the ropes for a season, maybe 2 sometimes. Nobody wants to do that anymore for some reason, but if that were to happen for all 4 of these guys you would probably see a different career path for them.

DcmRulz
01-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Luck=Eli Manning
Mallet= Rivers
Newton= Big Ben
Locker= JP Losman

i think it's meant for comparisons of where they were taken, not who they compare to.

Anyway... of the 4-5 1st rounders, i don't think any of them will completely bust, depending on what bust means in this context. I think Mallett and Newton will wind up having okay, if unspectacular careers (Like Kerry Collins or Jason Campbell), Luck looks like a keeper to me, Locker and Gabbert look like good but ultimately, expendable players (like Ryan Fitzpatrick).

CameronCropper
01-05-2011, 12:49 AM
1 thing that's obvious to me is alot of these QB's need to sit and learn as a rookie behind a veteran to make the transition easy, but of course that means it won't happen. Luck is the only guy who needs to be starting right away. Fitzpatrick in Buf, Orton and McNabb are some other QB's who could go to a new team and transition the rookie QB in.

I like Locker, Newton, Gabbert, and Mallet alot better if they had 1 of those veterans in front of them and had a chance to just learn the ropes for a season, maybe 2 sometimes. Nobody wants to do that anymore for some reason, but if that were to happen for all 4 of these guys you would probably see a different career path for them.

Unless you go in the bottom half of the first round or lower I think the days of quarterbacks sitting for a season or two are long gone.

The NFL has become such a passing league that the teams at the top of the draft tend to lack franchise signal callers and learning on the job seems to be more in vogue now, especially since rookie QBs that have started off the bat have been more successful as of late than they used to be.

FUNBUNCHER
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
i think it's meant for comparisons of where they were taken, not who they compare to.

Anyway... of the 4-5 1st rounders, i don't think any of them will completely bust, depending on what bust means in this context. I think Mallett and Newton will wind up having okay, if unspectacular careers (Like Kerry Collins or Jason Campbell), Luck looks like a keeper to me, Locker and Gabbert look like good but ultimately, expendable players (like Ryan Fitzpatrick).

Did you just compare Cam Newton to Jason Campbell??

Why??

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Unless you go in the bottom half of the first round or lower I think the days of quarterbacks sitting for a season or two are long gone.

The NFL has become such a passing league that the teams at the top of the draft tend to lack franchise signal callers and learning on the job seems to be more in vogue now, especially since rookie QBs that have started off the bat have been more successful as of late than they used to be.

Why is a season too long? Especially when there are more then capable veterans out there playing in the league right now at a decent level? If you don't have 2 years to invest in a guy why take him?

CameronCropper
01-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Why is a season too long? Especially when there are more then capable veterans out there playing in the league right now at a decent level? If you don't have 2 years to invest in a guy why take him?

If you think the quarterback you've drafted doesn't have the ability to beat out someone playing at 'a decent level' then you probably should have drafted someone else.

Teams just seem to be drifting more towards starting their rookie quarterbacks and calling rather conservative, high percentage plays than sitting them anymore. I personally don't have a preference either way, it's just a trend I've noticed.

ViperVisor
01-05-2011, 02:35 AM

That is the total # of passes thrown in the NFL in 2010.
13,919 rushes

540 per team. That is 33.75 a game.

55.4% of plays were passes.

If a team can improve the QB position by even a hair it adds up to a much bigger difference than any other position.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2011, 03:33 AM
It's easier than ever to pass in the league too, which is a big reason why you see so many QBs playing (and playing well) early

DcmRulz
01-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Did you just compare Cam Newton to Jason Campbell??

Why??

career path, not talent and potential

FUNBUNCHER
01-05-2011, 09:43 AM
career path, not talent and potential

As a Skins fan, I'm not understanding what you mean here. JC is a good dude, but he was an abortion at QB here in D.C. and was afraid to throw the ball downfield to WRs in single coverage.
Campbell is a part time game-manager/career backup in the NFL.

That's not really the 'career path' I see for Cam Newton at this point.

BuddyCHRIST
01-05-2011, 10:50 AM
In two months everyone will be talking about how weak this year's QB class is, and how next years will be good.

bucfan12
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Atleast 4 Qb's will probably end up in the 1st round just because teams like San Fransisco, Miami, and Minnesota all need to find someone at that position and think those will be the teams that reach.

I've been watching more tape on Gabbertt and honestly, I think he is worthy of a top 15 selection and will probably be taken at 7 by San Fransisco. Luck, if he declares, will automatically be Carolina's pick and rightfully so.

Mallett did not impress me at all last night and struggled mightily against good defenses all year. You can say his wr's dropped a lot of passes, but honestly, he shouldn't be throwing lasers when guys are open 5 to 7 yards away from him. In my opinion, he needs to ease up on the velocity of his throws. He doesn't throw a catchable ball and I really question his leadership abilities and character.

Cam Newton is Vince Young 2.0. Don't think he'll make it as a passer and never runs a play from under center.

Locker is a 2nd round prospect, but I think a team like Minnesota or Miami will fall in love with the strong arm and mobility and think they can coach him up.

Comparisons:

1. Luck: Peyton Manning 2.0
2. Gabbert: Phillip Rivers
3. Mallett: Bigger version of Kyle Boller
4. Locker: Charlie Frye (as a passer)
5. Cam Newton: Vince Young

wordofi
01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Atleast 4 Qb's will probably end up in the 1st round just because teams like San Fransisco, Miami, and Minnesota all need to find someone at that position and think those will be the teams that reach.

I've been watching more tape on Gabbertt and honestly, I think he is worthy of a top 15 selection and will probably be taken at 7 by San Fransisco. Luck, if he declares, will automatically be Carolina's pick and rightfully so.

Mallett did not impress me at all last night and struggled mightily against good defenses all year. You can say his wr's dropped a lot of passes, but honestly, he shouldn't be throwing lasers when guys are open 5 to 7 yards away from him. In my opinion, he needs to ease up on the velocity of his throws. He doesn't throw a catchable ball and I really question his leadership abilities and character.

Cam Newton is Vince Young 2.0. Don't think he'll make it as a passer and never runs a play from under center.

Locker is a 2nd round prospect, but I think a team like Minnesota or Miami will fall in love with the strong arm and mobility and think they can coach him up.

Comparisons:

I don't see the Gabbert-Rivers comparison. Gabbert has more arm strength, less accuracy, and is much more mobile than rivers.

FUNBUNCHER
01-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Comparisons:

Mallett threw with a great deal of touch last night, IMO.

His WRs dropped very catchable balls, it wasn't a case of him muscling balls too hard for his WRs to make the adjust.

And don't bother comparing Mallett to Kyle Boller. Just say you think Mallett sucks as a prospect.
It's more informative to compare prospects to pro players who've had at least moderate success in the pros.
Comparing them to busts is really pointless.

EDIT: Cam Newton has more in common with Josh Freeman than Vince Young.

GaMeTiMe
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I really don't understand all the hoop-lah behind comparing prospects to current NFL players. The thread asked if there were 5 1st round QBs in this class and it's turned into a comparison free-for-all. Not having knowledge of who these guys are as players doesn't mean you need to define him by the closest playing style currently in the league, and it's even crazier to take that and use it in any determination of that person's stock. The beauty of the draft is that every year every player is different and his own prospects with his own upsides and downsides; obviously certain guy's games are similar in certain aspects but to say Eli = Luck or Big Ben = Newton is completely misguided. If you want to know more about a Cam Newton or Ryan Mallet how about watching those players play before reaching for the closest comparison currently playing in the league to better imagine how that guy's game translates.

All that being said, QB prospects are way too tricky to predict to know exactly what will happen in April. You could look at all of Locker and Gabbert's tape and say they deserve to go anywhere between the top-10 and third round. Just look at names like Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, and Brady Quinn. All top QB prospects in the last few years that took extremely different paths in the draft and with their NFL careers. Even the teams passing on or drafting these guys probably didn't know exactly what to expect of them at the next level. No one knows what they're going to get from a QB. McShay apparently ruined Jevan Snead's life because he said he'd be a high pick and he ended up going undrafted. I know that story has been beaten like a dead horse but it just goes to show evaluation of QB prospects is a LOT more of a crap-shoot than any other position. (Cue all the couch scouts saying "I knew Snead was a bust from the start")

We know Luck will be #1 if he comes out.

Newton should go in the top-10 based on potential. Even if the Bills start Fitz next year, I can't see them passing on him as the eventual face of the franchise. They don't need a 3-4 lineman or CB bad enough to pass on QB at #3. I do think AJ Green is a possibility, but for Newton to then slide past Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee and Washington would be a major upset.

Mallet, Gabbert and Locker are all up in the air at this point, in my opinion. The combine could make or break any of them, or just make everything that much more murky. The thing these players have going for them is from #5-#21 there will probably be about 10 teams that need a QB first and foremost. It's easy to mock these QBs to those teams based on need and their (arguable) potential to be franchise guys, but all three could end up being below-average backups aswell and a lot of these teams could see that, setting up the annual "QB falls into the late-first and a QB-needy team trades up from the early 2nd to pick him", possibly three times.

bucfan12
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Mallett threw with a great deal of touch last night, IMO.

His WRs dropped very catchable balls, it wasn't a case of him muscling balls too hard for his WRs to make the adjust.

And don't bother comparing Mallett to Kyle Boller. Just say you think Mallett sucks as a prospect.
It's more informative to compare prospects to pro players who've had at least moderate success in the pros.
Comparing them to busts is really pointless.

EDIT: Cam Newton has more in common with Josh Freeman than Vince Young.

Besides the height and weight, I really don't see the comparison between the both. Playing styles are completely different.

And on Mallett, he might have been hurt by WRs dropping balls, but he also did a poor job at reading coverage. He threw 4 or 5 balls that should have been picked and really when he was under pressure, he couldn't step up into the pocket and throw the ball away. If anything he might be a poor man's Jay Cutler, the 2009 version. He seriously doesn't know when to throw the ball away and will rely on his arm strength to fit the ball into closed windows. He never stepped up in big games at all this year and it wasn't just tonight.

Babylon
01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I really don't understand all the hoop-lah behind comparing prospects to current NFL players. The thread asked if there were 5 1st round QBs in this class and it's turned into a comparison free-for-all. Not having knowledge of who these guys are as players doesn't mean you need to define him by the closest playing style currently in the league, and it's even crazier to take that and use it in any determination of that person's stock. The beauty of the draft is that every year every player is different and his own prospects with his own upsides and downsides; obviously certain guy's games are similar in certain aspects but to say Eli = Luck or Big Ben = Newton is completely misguided. If you want to know more about a Cam Newton or Ryan Mallet how about watching those players play before reaching for the closest comparison currently playing in the league to better imagine how that guy's game translates.

All that being said, QB prospects are way too tricky to predict to know exactly what will happen in April. You could look at all of Locker and Gabbert's tape and say they deserve to go anywhere between the top-10 and third round. Just look at names like Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, and Brady Quinn. All top QB prospects in the last few years that took extremely different paths in the draft and with their NFL careers. Even the teams passing on or drafting these guys probably didn't know exactly what to expect of them at the next level. No one knows what they're going to get from a QB. McShay apparently ruined Jevan Snead's life because he said he'd be a high pick and he ended up going undrafted. I know that story has been beaten like a dead horse but it just goes to show evaluation of QB prospects is a LOT more of a crap-shoot than any other position. (Cue all the couch scouts saying "I knew Snead was a bust from the start")

We know Luck will be #1 if he comes out.

Newton should go in the top-10 based on potential. Even if the Bills start Fitz next year, I can't see them passing on him as the eventual face of the franchise. They don't need a 3-4 lineman or CB bad enough to pass on QB at #3. I do think AJ Green is a possibility, but for Newton to then slide past Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee and Washington would be a major upset.

Mallet, Gabbert and Locker are all up in the air at this point, in my opinion. The combine could make or break any of them, or just make everything that much more murky. The thing these players have going for them is from #5-#21 there will probably be about 10 teams that need a QB first and foremost. It's easy to mock these QBs to those teams based on need and their (arguable) potential to be franchise guys, but all three could end up being below-average backups aswell and a lot of these teams could see that, setting up the annual "QB falls into the late-first and a QB-needy team trades up from the early 2nd to pick him", possibly three times.

Newton should go top 10 on potential but Locker, Mallett and Gabbert are question marks, ok.

FUNBUNCHER
01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Besides the height and weight, I really don't see the comparison between the both. Playing styles are completely different.

And on Mallett, he might have been hurt by WRs dropping balls, but he also did a poor job at reading coverage. He threw 4 or 5 balls that should have been picked and really when he was under pressure, he couldn't step up into the pocket and throw the ball away. If anything he might be a poor man's Jay Cutler, the 2009 version. He seriously doesn't know when to throw the ball away and will rely on his arm strength to fit the ball into closed windows. He never stepped up in big games at all this year and it wasn't just tonight.

Georgia, South Carolina and LSU were all big games, IMO.

Babylon
01-05-2011, 05:24 PM

The dropped balls killed them, some people look at drops and think it's just an excuse why someone doesnt get it done. I dont get that.

descendency
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM

So was the Iron Bowl. . . where he lead one of the biggest comebacks I've watched, ever.

bucfan12
01-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Georgia and South Carolina were not top teams this year at all. When playing very good defenses, he was terrible. He makes poor decisions with the football and he thinks he has the arm strength to make the most impossible throws. He needs another year at Arkansas to show scouts he can make better decisions with the football.

GoRavens
01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
This draft will be interesting as far as QB potential. Only 3 first rounders in my opinion.
- Andrew Luck, top 10.
- Cam Newton, top 15.
- Jake Locker, top 20.
- Gabbart, early 2nd.
- Ryan Mallett, 2nd round.
- I think Greg McElroy will be a starter some day too

DBNYDP
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Luck/Gabbert are the only guys I'd draft in the first.
The rest are huge projects (except Mallet but there are a lot of concerns about touch/decision making/feet)
Every team that needs a QB has other big needs where there are much safer/better players.

papageorgio
01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Luck/Gabbert are the only guys I'd draft in the first.
The rest are huge projects (except Mallet but there are a lot of concerns about touch/decision making/feet)

Gabbert is being so overrated it is not even funny. To me he just doesn't have the it factor to be an elite player. If the Bills draft him with the third pick throw my tv out the god man window.

If were gonna reach for a quarterback I want Newton.

This will be very similar to the 2004 class in that there will be 4 first round quarterbacks drafted.

Master Exploder
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Donovan McNabb, Vince Young, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Alex Smith.

I think these are probably the top 5 veteran QBs to acquire during the offseason.

At the very least, I can see Arizona trying to grab Kyle Orton, and somebody trying to grab Vince Young to start (Vikings, Dolphins?) and I believe McNabb will get a shot to compete somewhere along with Kolb and Alex Smith.

Regardless of my opinion. How do you think these QBs can affect these 5 QBs in the 1st round? I understand a team like Seattle would probably like it if their chances increased in grabbing one of these guys, but I really believe there may be 1 or 2 guys left out. What do you guys think?

nepg
01-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I think 4 go in the Top 5 and Gabbert goes mid-first.

Wrathman
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM

I think these are probably the top 5 veteran QBs to acquire during the offseason.

I'd replace Alex Smith with Shaun Hill if the Lions choose to strike while the iron is hot and while demand outweighs supply on quarterbacks. I expect Matt Flynn's name to come up as well...who would push Smith down the list once again.

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2011, 10:53 PM

At the very least, I can see Arizona trying to grab Kyle Orton, and somebody trying to grab Vince Young to start (Vikings, Dolphins?) and I believe McNabb will get a shot to compete somewhere along with Kolb and Alex Smith.

Regardless of my opinion. How do you think these QBs can affect these 5 QBs in the 1st round? I understand a team like Seattle would probably like it if their chances increased in grabbing one of these guys, but I really believe there may be 1 or 2 guys left out. What do you guys think?

What will be interesting, is if one of those teams in the top 10 acquire one of those veteran QB's and still have to decide of they want to draft a rookie QB also. Not sure if a team like SF would opt to take someone like McNabb, then not draft a QB also.

Redruckus81
01-05-2011, 11:26 PM
I actually think there are only 3 1st round talent QBs at the maximum... Luck, Gabbert and Newton.

Dont like too much of what I see from Mallett and dont even get me started on Locker (already started a thread with my thoughts on that disaster of a QB)

Mr.Regular
01-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I love Luck, he's going #1 (we all know that).
The rest of the 4 have HUGE question marks.

Newton is crazy raw and will be a big time project.
Mallet seems like JaMarcus 2.0...physical specimen with an out of this world arm, but character concerns and headscratching play at times.
Locker had a beyond brutal season.
Gabbert is not very polished. He makes boneheaded mistakes and his play is sometimes sloppy, but he has very good NFL tools and huge potential.

All have the potential to go in the first round, but 4 of them have big time question marks. Newton has too much potential to slip, and seems destined to go in the top 10 at this point, but of the other 3, I can see scenarios where any of them slip.

DcmRulz
01-05-2011, 11:39 PM
I think all 5 of them will go in round 1, seeing as how basically half the league need a QB.

will99890
01-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I only see three surefire first round guys.

1. Andrew Luck - Top 5 lock.
2a. Jake Locker - Picks 5-15. I don't care too much about his play this year. He was dinged up and had zero talent around him. Tools and brain are there.
2b. Cameron Newton - Could go anywhere in the 1st. The wild card of the QB's. Too much upside for no one to fall in love with him in the 1st.

Next tier:
1. Ryan Mallett
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Christian Ponder
4. Ricky Stanzi
5. Colin Kaepernick
Sleeper: Case Keenum

49erNation85
01-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Your choking right ? He won't be a starter , maybe a career backup .

JPP90
01-06-2011, 12:26 AM

None of those guys with the exception maybe of Orton wil start again. I'm not buying into the Kolb hype...given the price Philly wants for a QB who stunk it up mostly when he did play. 7 tds to 7 ints isn't horrible but it doesn't cry "future franchise QB" either. The GB defense ate his lunch in week 1. Just crushed him. Frankly they got lucky they signed Vick last year because Kolb would have probably been no better than 8-8 QB. There's a chance someone may pick him up but for a 1st or 1st +? No way. I'm surprised he's so popular on here since people seem to frown on mediocrity so much. The numbers don't lie. Nice comp. Percentage, lackluster td/int ratio--QB rating.

Master Exploder
01-06-2011, 12:46 AM

None of those guys with the exception maybe of Orton wil start again. I'm not buying into the Kolb hype...given the price Philly wants for a QB who stunk it up mostly when he did play. 7 tds to 7 ints isn't horrible but it doesn't cry "future franchise QB" either. The GB defense ate his lunch in week 1. Just crushed him. Frankly they got lucky they signed Vick last year because Kolb would have probably been no better than 8-8 QB. There's a chance someone may pick him up but for a 1st or 1st +? No way. I'm surprised he's so popular on here since people seem to frown on mediocrity so much. The numbers don't lie. Nice comp. Percentage, lackluster td/int ratio--QB rating.

I never said any of them would be starters. I said I think 2 of them will be given a shot (Orton and Vince) and the rest will have a decent shot to land somewhere to compete.

Also, I'm not sure why you went off on Kolb. You may not like him, and I'm positive at best he'll land in a similar situation that Derek Anderson landed in this year at Arizona, but he's gonna' get some looks. I personally don't think he's that great, but all 5 of these guys will play in the NFL next season and they will probably have roles that will allow them to at the very least compete for a starting QB spot by next season and I think the fact that there seems to be more of an abundance of talent in the veteran QB market this season than normal that it may and most likely will affect the 1st round QB prospects this year.

JPP90
01-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I never said any of them would be starters. I said I think 2 of them will be given a shot (Orton and Vince) and the rest will have a decent shot to land somewhere to compete.

Also, I'm not sure why you went off on Kolb. You may not like him, and I'm positive at best he'll land in a similar situation that Derek Anderson landed in this year at Arizona, but he's gonna' get some looks. I personally don't think he's that great, but all 5 of these guys will play in the NFL next season and they will probably have roles that will allow them to at the very least compete for a starting QB spot by next season and I think the fact that there seems to be more of an abundance of talent in the veteran QB market this season than normal that it may and most likely will affect the 1st round QB prospects this year.

I don't see a whole lot of veteran options out there. You want Vince Young starting for you? Donovan McNabb? Alex Smith? Kolb and Kyle Orton are as good as it gets and that's not saying much. Those guys won't keep anyone from going with a young QB with franchise potential. I wasn't going off on Kolb either..I'm just stating my opinion on him..you see a lot about him being a big trade target for teams in need of a QB and a hefty price tag being sought for him And I'm saying he hasn't really been that impressive when he has played. I think he's a magic trick Andy Reid is playing and people respect him so much that they're buying into it and I wouldn't doubt he gets a bounty for Kolb from someone. Probably Buffalo because they're so incompetent.

Master Exploder
01-06-2011, 01:09 AM
I don't see a whole lot of veteran options out there. You want Vince Young starting for you? Donovan McNabb? Alex Smith? Kolb and Kyle Orton are as good as it gets and that's not saying much. Those guys won't keep anyone from going with a young QB with franchise potential. I wasn't going off on Kolb either..I'm just stating my opinion on him..you see a lot about him being a big trade target for teams in need of a QB and a hefty price tag being sought for him And I'm saying he hasn't really been that impressive when he has played. I think he's a magic trick Andy Reid is playing and people respect him so much that they're buying into it and I wouldn't doubt he gets a bounty for Kolb from someone. Probably Buffalo because they're so incompetent.

I agree on the Kolb thing. I sometimes wonder if this whole mess was created by Reid just to build up trading him. If maybe he had anticipated starting Mike Vick the entire time. It seems like a lot of work, but he seems overly confident in Kolb.

I'm not saying all of these guys are going to be taking starting gigs away from these prospects, but I definitely think 2 of them are capable of doing that, and probably 3 of them. I think there will be some Owners out there who would be willing to give Orton, McNabb, or VY a legitimate shot at starting. I don't think that is highly unlikely at all. If you look at them all, they're pretty good QB's and all of them did face controversy when they were benched. I know VY gets bashed a lot, but somebody is going to want him in this league. He still has tremendous talent and he did not look bad at all this past season. His maturity may shy some owners away, but if Vick could get a look from a team, I'm quite certain VY can get a look.

I know there are a lot of teams that need QBs this year, but I'm pretty confident 3 teams are going to go with these 3 options over drafting a questionable rookie in the top 10.

JPP90
01-06-2011, 01:29 AM
I agree on the Kolb thing. I sometimes wonder if this whole mess was created by Reid just to build up trading him. If maybe he had anticipated starting Mike Vick the entire time. It seems like a lot of work, but he seems overly confident in Kolb.

I'm not saying all of these guys are going to be taking starting gigs away from these prospects, but I definitely think 2 of them are capable of doing that, and probably 3 of them. I think there will be some Owners out there who would be willing to give Orton, McNabb, or VY a legitimate shot at starting. I don't think that is highly unlikely at all. If you look at them all, they're pretty good QB's and all of them did face controversy when they were benched. I know VY gets bashed a lot, but somebody is going to want him in this league. He still has tremendous talent and he did not look bad at all this past season. His maturity may shy some owners away, but if Vick could get a look from a team, I'm quite certain VY can get a look.

I know there are a lot of teams that need QBs this year, but I'm pretty confident 3 teams are going to go with these 3 options over drafting a questionable rookie in the top 10.

I can see what you're saying on Orton and McNabb, even though McNabb really had a bad year, but not Young. I don't think there's an over-riding sentiment out there that Young is a franchise QB or a guy you hitch your wagon to. He's gotten away with a lot of bad throws the last couple years that his WRs have made plays on, and gives new meaning to the term "dafety valve" for a TE. His mechanics never improved, he still throws ugly passes and floats deep balls and he still fumbles snaps from center. You're limited with Young at QB and on top of temper tantrums and lack of maturity, you can understand why a professional like Jeff Fisher wanted no part of it anymore. Young is the perfect QB for Rex Ryan..the guy willing to turn the other cheek and ignore obvious flaws. Hell if ROB Ryan gets a head job, maybe he does become a starter again lol. He has some mobility and brings a flair to the position but he's just the same athlete trying to play QB that he was at Texas...the playbook and the competition just got a lot harder. The people that like him I believe are still clouded by his mystique from his college career. But in the long run, a guy like Gabbert or Locker gives you much better potential to sit in a pocket and pick a defense apart than Young ever will.

FUNBUNCHER
01-06-2011, 03:37 AM
McNabb is an easy fit in Arizona, IMO. The Cards better do something to placate Fitz, or they're gonna lose him.

And if Fitz goes, Whisenhunt won't be far behind.

If Luck comes out, 4 QBs go in the first round, possibly 5.

And no way a guy with Mallett's arm slips out of the first.

JPP90
01-06-2011, 03:49 AM
McNabb is an easy fit in Arizona, IMO. The Cards better do something to placate Fitz, or they're gonna lose him.

And if Fitz goes, Whisenhunt won't be far behind.

If Luck comes out, 4 QBs go in the first round, possibly 5.

And no way a guy with Mallett's arm slips out of the first.

I think you'd actually please Fitz more getting him a young QB to grow with that displays the ability to get him the ball 10 times a game. Bringing in a 30+ year old QB is the reason he's in this crossroads in the prime of his career to begin with. You get a Locker, Mallett, or Gabbert and year 1 you might struggle from that point on, the sky is the limit. I won't even say Newton because I know Whisenhunt is smarter than that. He likes pocket QBs.

bucfan12
01-06-2011, 10:31 AM
As much as I never agree with McShay or Kiper, this morning, they both were right when discussing Mallett. He makes poor decisions under pressure and struggles against good defenses. He has trouble reading defenses at times and when his team needs him the most in the 4th qtr, he fails.

DeathbyStat
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Honestly i don't feel that any of them except Luck is worth a first round pick but we all know QB's get pushed up and most teams that are bad are deficient at the QB position.

Luck if he comes out will be the first overall pick. Best prospect since Matt Ryan still not completely sold on him being elite, but i think he will be a solid QB any where from 10-15 best QB in the league at any given time and a QB you can win with if you put the proper talent around him.

First Round Grade

Locker has alot of talent but i feel is a few years away from being really productive. Could easily bust if a bad team drafts him high and throws in the fire right away. Not really sold on the guy as a franchise option but some team in the first round will fall in love with his John Elway like physical tools. Perhaps Mike Shanahan.

I would take a shot on Locker mid second round if i had a veteran in place. but he most likely won't be there.

Haven't really watched enough of Gabbert, from what i can gather the NFL is going to love his arm strength and size, however I think people have rightly questioned his accuracy and decision making in a system that doesn't make you read defenses or force you to be accurate down field.

Cam Newton is obviously the wild card. I wouldn't take him the first round, but if Tebow can go in the first why can't Cam

Mallet could be true the second coming of Drew Bledsoe or the second coming of Derek Anderson or Byron Leftwich. Some team will fall in love with his arm but accuracy is just too big of an issue, not to mention his decision making on and off the field. I realize that Arkansas dropped a ton of passes in the sugar bowl but Mallet simply had not answer when Ohio State rush him up the middle. His only answer to throw weird off target throws while falling forward.

descendency
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Christian Ponder > Blaine Gabbert.

Yea, I went there.

FUNBUNCHER
01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
As much as I never agree with McShay or Kiper, this morning, they both were right when discussing Mallett. He makes poor decisions under pressure and struggles against good defenses. He has trouble reading defenses at times and when his team needs him the most in the 4th qtr, he fails.

Maybe, but when Peyton went up against the best team in the SEC during his college career, the Gators, the same could have been said about him.

In the biggest games, Manning came up a little short, and the year he left the Vols won the NC.

A prospect's college career has to be seen in total, and IMO Mallett's 'good' far outweighs his 'bad'.

To totally focus on Mallett turning the ball over on what would have been a game winning drive against Alabama and Ohio State, and ignore that he led Arkansas to a 10-2 record and threw for over 3500 yards, 30 TDs, 11 INTs and at a 65% clip, isn't really objective.

Does Mallett have flaws? Yeah.
Is he a choker?? I don't think so.

He needs to learn how to play better in late game situations, but it doesn't change who Mallett is as a prospect.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Christian Ponder > Blaine Gabbert.

Yea, I went there.

gabbert actually has the raw tools to succeed

ponder has ???

i dont expect much from either

choking isn't even close to mallett's biggest problem. if that was the only thing wrong with him he'd be in the running for #1

descendency
01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
gabbert actually has the raw tools to succeed

ponder has ???

i dont expect much from either

choking isn't even close to mallett's biggest problem. if that was the only thing wrong with him he'd be in the running for #1

Ponder's tools are about as low as you can get and succeed in the NFL. He has some decision making problems, but with an NFL QB coach, I think he will fix that. Gabbert has much better tools, but will require conditioning, a great QB coach, and a work ethic. I wouldn't draft a guy with a less than completely stellar work ethic. Just look at QBs with less than outstanding work ethic: JaMarcus Russell, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, pre-jail Mike Vick, etc.

Mallett is really good at times and not so at others. (He has drastically improved his accuracy in the intermediate game, for example). However, the two major rumors about him are that he's a jerk (Like Ryan Leaf bad) and he's a coke addict (like Matt Jones bad). I don't care what you can do on the field, I wouldn't draft a guy who has those problems.

bucfan12
01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe, but when Peyton went up against the best team in the SEC during his college career, the Gators, the same could have been said about him.

In the biggest games, Manning came up a little short, and the year he left the Vols won the NC.

A prospect's college career has to be seen in total, and IMO Mallett's 'good' far outweighs his 'bad'.

To totally focus on Mallett turning the ball over on what would have been a game winning drive against Alabama and Ohio State, and ignore that he led Arkansas to a 10-2 record and threw for over 3500 yards, 30 TDs, 11 INTs and at a 65% clip, isn't really objective.

Does Mallett have flaws? Yeah.
Is he a choker?? I don't think so.

He needs to learn how to play better in late game situations, but it doesn't change who Mallett is as a prospect.

So you're comparing Mallett to Manning? I was very young when Manning was in college so I cannot really say I saw him play much. But honestly, I cannot see Mallett succeeding at the next level. He doesn't have the leadership qualities, correction, HASN"T SHOWN the leadership qualities and intangibles in being an NFL QB. He has the big arm, but his mechanics are sloppy and he does a poor job at reading defenses. I've watched a few games and yes he can make the throws necessary, but he also does a poor job of reading coverages and his decision making is very questionable. I think the fact that he has a big arm gets to his head that he can be late on throws or fit the ball into tight coverage. Honestly, there were about 5 passes, maybe more that should have been picked in that Sugar Bowl.

FUNBUNCHER
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Still waiting to hear what NFL personnel men think about Mallett and his alleged past.

The jerky behavior stuff, I don't think there's much to that. Mallett will make that 'yuck face' when his WRs drop passes, or chew them out in the huddle. Some teams call that 'fiya'.

The extracurricular activities, the more I try to dig up, the more I read about someone said that they heard about a rumor of a conversation from someone who 'knows' that Mallett maybe has done cocaine.

It's very easy to construct a rookie's contract in such a way that if he screws up according to specific conduct guidelines, he forfeits money.

As far as I'm concerned, if Mallett tests clean at the combine, I'm not going to worry if he's a cokehead.

Didn't Dan Marino drop in his draft year based on rumors that he did coke too??

And then the (MIAMI) Dolphins drafted him, when South Beach at the time was at the cocaine distribution epicenter of the United States.

It really all depends on how much you believe in a prospect, I suppose.

EDIT: I'm not comparing HOFer Peyton Manning to college prospect Ryan Mallett.

Just pointing out they had similar success/production in college and both had whispers about them being unable to perform in pressure situations.

Not many QBs can play at a John Elway or Joe Montana level in the 4th quarter when their team is down a score.

scpanther22
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Who is Jon Wilner?
Wow: Jon Wilner reports that Stanford is about to announce that Andrew Luck will STAY at school for 2011 season.
http://twitter.com/timkawakami

Morton
01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
If Luck stays, Gabbert is the #1 pick. I'm calling it.

yo123
01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Sweet we get another chance to tank for him!

T-RICH49
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Joe Schad reporting it as well.Sorry Panther fans

Babylon
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
If Luck stays, Gabbert is the #1 pick. I'm calling it.

You'd probably be setting yourself up for a David Carr situation but have at it.

DcmRulz
01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't think any of the QBs available is so much better than Clausen that the panthers don't try to address other needs. That being said, the other 4 might be taken later now too, because there won't be as much fear of there being a run on QBs

MURPHMAN
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
As a Panther's fan, this is devistating.

I am probably saying this out of shock but I am hoping that there will be no 2011 season just so the Panthers will have a shot at him in the 2012 draft.
Unlikely that will happen.

JaxJag_1
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Newton will go 3 to Buffalo
Gabbert and Mallett will go somewhere in the top 10

And here in Redskins country, the talk is that the Shanahans love Jake Locker, and they have the 10th pick.

It's possible that 4 QB's go in the top 10. After that we're looking at a number of Round 2-5 guys like Ponder, Stanzi, Dalton, Devlin, and Kaepernick.

49erNation85
01-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Locker won't get pass SF sorry Skins .

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm going to say 2.5 first round QB's. Mallett, Locker and a 1/2 rating on Newton (still trying to figure out where I stand with him)

Not seeing it with Gabbert. He just doesn't have the complete control and command of his offense like Chase Daniel did. Just not a cerebral enough QB for me and his physical skills aren't on the level of, say, a Josh Freeman.

Jimmy
01-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Ryan Mallett is hands down the best QB in this draft with the Luck decision. I honestly feel bad for any team that goes after Gabbert, Locker, or Newton.
Especially Gabbert. I find it kinda comical that just because Luck will go back for his senior year, Gabbert will likely be a top 15 lock. Shouldn't a player's value be predicated upon how good he actually is, crossed with what his ceiling is? Because if that was the case, teams wouldn't touch any of those guys before pick 25. Just my humble opinion. This QB class will be chock full'o'busts, with Mallett being the only bright spot. Even he should be treated with caution though. He needs to be given the time Aaron Rodgers was given.

JPP90
01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I would say Mallett is anything but the hands down best QB in this draft. His decision-making undr pressure is alarming and he is not a mobile guy that can extend plays. What you see is what you get.

FUNBUNCHER
01-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Mallett has also made critical conversions on 3rd and long this season in the SEC.
He needs coaching and to improve his pocket awareness, but his upside is undeniable.

I feel bad if the only real game you've seen Mallett play this season was against OSU.

Even still, he played outstanding up until that INT.

JPP90
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Lol no I also saw him throw the game away against Alabama too.

LonghornsLegend
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
He needs to be given the time Aaron Rodgers was given.

If Gabbert was given that same time with a great QB coach he could be better then anyone who does come out since Luck is returning. Nobody wants to give these young QB's time, but it'll certainly make the draft interesting. I really don't know who Carolina takes now but I do know Mallett is likely the top QB off the board now even with his defeciancies. There are too many things he does well and he has elite tools that you can mold into a top tier QB.

I don't think people should assume this class is full of bust though, seems that around here if you don't like up the College season and carry the team on your back you'll be a bust in the NFL, when there are a ton of NFL QB's who ended up being successful and either had an average final college season or some really bad games.

FUNBUNCHER
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Lol no I also saw him throw the game away against Alabama too.

You Locker fanboys are ridiculous.

JPP90
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
You Locker fanboys are ridiculous.

Oh good one...

Babylon
01-06-2011, 10:08 PM
If Gabbert was given that same time with a great QB coach he could be better then anyone who does come out since Luck is returning. Nobody wants to give these young QB's time, but it'll certainly make the draft interesting. I really don't know who Carolina takes now but I do know Mallett is likely the top QB off the board now even with his defeciancies. There are too many things he does well and he has elite tools that you can mold into a top tier QB.

I don't think people should assume this class is full of bust though, seems that around here if you don't like up the College season and carry the team on your back you'll be a bust in the NFL, when there are a ton of NFL QB's who ended up being successful and either had an average final college season or some really bad games.

Just curious, what does Gabbert do better than Locker?

JPP90
01-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Just curious, what does Gabbert do better than Locker?

Wax his carrot.

purplepat
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone to this point for your input. DcmRulz sort of hit this on the head (for me anyway, you all have your own opinions). With hindsight being 20-20, Dcm has pretty much told me that really only Luck is (was) worthy of a 1st round pick...because if you told me that I was spending my top ten or fifteen draft pick for Collins, Campbell, or Fitzpatrick, I'd be pissed. To me, you should be getting a "franchise quality" starting QB if you spend a 1st round pick on one. Not necessarily Peyton Manning, but for sure not Jason Campbell.

I realize many QB desperate teams (like my Vikings) are probably going to grab a QB in the top half of the 1st round, but I wonder how many of these guys are just hype and their status is based more on how many teams need a QB rather than the actual potential of these guys in the pros.

I thought Jamarcus Russell would be a terrific QB in the pros, and sort of thought the same thing about Vince Young. I wonder if Newton is a hybrid of the two...a great college player with great skills, but won't translate to the pro game when he has to take snaps from under center, take drops and go beyond his first read. Mallett has a terrific looking arm, but hasn't learned to throw with touch, doesn't handle pressure well, and there are the character concerns. And on and on. I'm just hoping if the Vikings draft a QB in the first, they don't end up with another Vince Young, or Kyle Boller, or Matt Leinart, etc.

wordofi
01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone to this point for your input. DcmRulz sort of hit this on the head (for me anyway, you all have your own opinions). With hindsight being 20-20, Dcm has pretty much told me that really only Luck is (was) worthy of a 1st round pick...because if you told me that I was spending my top ten or fifteen draft pick for Collins, Campbell, or Fitzpatrick, I'd be pissed. To me, you should be getting a "franchise quality" starting QB if you spend a 1st round pick on one. Not necessarily Peyton Manning, but for sure not Jason Campbell.

I realize many QB desperate teams (like my Vikings) are probably going to grab a QB in the top half of the 1st round, but I wonder how many of these guys are just hype and their status is based more on how many teams need a QB rather than the actual potential of these guys in the pros.

I thought Jamarcus Russell would be a terrific QB in the pros, and sort of thought the same thing about Vince Young. I wonder if Newton is a hybrid of the two...a great college player with great skills, but won't translate to the pro game when he has to take snaps from under center, take drops and go beyond his first read. Mallett has a terrific looking arm, but hasn't learned to throw with touch, doesn't handle pressure well, and there are the character concerns. And on and on. I'm just hoping if the Vikings draft a QB in the first, they don't end up with another Vince Young, or Kyle Boller, or Matt Leinart, etc.

I think the problem is that too many people overanalyze the physical tools. When a prospect gets to the pros, other players are going to be just as athletic as they are. It's not like college where they can just get by on athleticism. Reggie Bush is Exhibit A.

The reason why there are elite players in the NFL is more because of work ethic and intangibles than ability. Look at JaMarcus Russell. That guy has all the ability in the world, but he's lazy and weighs near 300 lbs. Ryan Leaf was one of the most unstable quarterbacks I've ever seen.

If you place a high emphasis and work ethic and intangibles, you're going to be relatively successful over the long run. That's why a guy like Ryan Mallett would be off my draft board entirely.

no bare feet
01-07-2011, 09:35 AM
As prospects are they worth a first round grade? I don't think that matters because the market for certain positions based upon needs of teams dictates their selection more than their true grade.

scpanther22
01-07-2011, 10:02 AM
As prospects are they worth a first round grade? I don't think that matters because the market for certain positions based upon needs of teams dictates their selection more than their true grade.

This is true..

I know if Newton has a big game monday everyone will want the panthers to draft him.

FUNBUNCHER
01-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Now Mallett has a poor work ethic??
Look, Jawalrus failed because he was addicted to codeine and unmotivated to put in the work to become an elite QB. This was rumored about Russell at LSU, and if not for Al Davis, it's possible Russell would have fallen.

Vince Young is also a guy who simply wasn't a mature, hard-working athlete coming out of Texas and maybe will be a reformed player with his new team.

Look how long it took Mike Vick to 'figure it out'.

Unlike both these prospects, Newton had his personal 'trial by fire' in college; forced to leave Florida with his football career at a crossroads and then going to Blinn JC to re-establish his reputation.
In hindsight, looking at Newton's pro potential, this was absolutely the best situation that could have happened to him and may have prevented Cam from falling into many of the same pitfalls as other uber-athlete dual threat QBs who enter the NFL.

The reason that Newton had such an incredible first season for Auburn is because he worked his ass off to master Malzahn's offense after arriving on campus. Key word; WORKED.

Based on draft position, Kerry Collins' career has been a disappointment, not so surprising when you know that he had a serious alcohol problem early in his career.
But Jason Campbell was a 1st round reach by Joe Gibbs who thought he was the next Doug Williams, and Ryan Fitzpatrick was a 7th rounder.

Mallett and Newton are in a different stratosphere as prospects compared to Campbell/Collins/Fitz.

People want to talk about Newton's 'character issues' at Florida as a true freshman, but they should focus more on how Cam's character has dramatically elevated since attending Blinn JC.
He's simply not the man that he used to be and IMO should be the first QB taken in the 2011 draft.
And throwing with touch is not a problem for Mallet.

Bobertchin
01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Wow, some of you really don't like Gabbert, do you? I would put him as my top QB in this draft now that Luck won't be in it. I think Gabbert will go in the top 10, easily. Yes, he's a bit raw and will need to work on learning a pro-style system. But he has good tools and seems like a safer bet than some of the other QBs. After that, I can't tell whether Newton or Locker will get picked first. I'd take Locker, but it's close. I wouldn't touch Mallett in the first round, personally.

Babylon
01-07-2011, 11:15 AM
The resonses on how to rank the top 4 available are all over the map which should make for an interesting combine. What it should look like:

Mallett. Great arm, surprising accuracy, but doesnt show mobility and may come across lacking in the leadership department.

Gabbert. Good arm, some mobility, still not a ton of experience, average to above average in all departments when compaired to the rest.

Newton. Nice arm, real good athlete, limited resume, character concerns to be answered.

Locker. Not as tall as the rest at 6-3, coming off a bad year. Can make every throw at the next level, great mobility, excellant character.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/18754/SSWS-CamNewton_redo_jpg_630x1200_upscale_q85.jpg

FUNBUNCHER
01-07-2011, 11:26 AM
For the Cam detractors, he's 21, not 19. Let's move forward.

Tell me the **** ups at Auburn.

None?? Good.

LonghornsLegend
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Regardless of what you think of Newton I find it hard to believe anyone who says he won't go in the 1st round. If your being honest with yourself you should know he's in no way sliding out of the 1st no matter what reasons you bring up.

Gabbert is a lock for a top 20 pick also, more then likely top 10 now. The only guy who even has a remote chance at falling out of the 1st right now is Locker. Everyone else is about as big of a lock as you can get for the 1st round, whether or not you like them or maybe you have them graded out as a 3rd rounder but all 3 will go in the 1st.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Can someone compare Cam Newton to Akili Smith for me? Akili is before my time. Try to avoid the character stuff too, please. I get it and it's a huge issue but I'd like to measure the prospect on the field first then account for all the other crap

Babylon
01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Can someone compare Cam Newton to Akili Smith for me? Akili is before my time. Try to avoid the character stuff too, please. I get it and it's a huge issue but I'd like to measure the prospect on the field first then account for all the other crap

Newton is a better athlete, Smith's athletic ability i thought was a little overblown, he was bascially a 4.65 guy which is good but not in Newton's class. I would say Smith had the better arm of the two. I think Smith struggled with the NFL game and he wasnt in the ideal situation.

DiG
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Newtons taller, stronger, and faster. Akili was also less accurate in short range to intermediate passing. Akilis character concerns coming out were more about immaturity and work ethic. A different type of beast than Newtons potential concerns. But yes Smith had the stronger arm.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Akili had a rocket then? Because Newton's arm is pretty strong. Yea, it's not Mallett's but whose is...

It's tough to really get on his case for anything on the field. Yea, his offense is gimmicky but damn if he doesn't execute it well. I don't like how he leans back and throws off balance sometimes but it doesn't cause him to throws ducks so idk. Once he decides to pass he gets rid of the ball quickly, the fact that he doesn't throw completely over the top doesn't matter since he's 6'6 and other than that his mechanics are good

You have to wonder what would happen to his stock if he came back, scouts got more film to pick apart his passing and Auburn went like 9-3. As it stands, he's very attractive and no one in the NFL cares if he got paid. Interviews are going to be big for him. Does he care about his teammates? Is he willing to put in the work to learn an NFL offense? Breaking 20 on the Wonderlic would be nice too

I just feel like if you have to take a boom/bust guy in this draft you may as well take the one with the biggest boom and to me that's Newton. Of course, he could also be the biggest bust :/

FUNBUNCHER
01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Biggest comparison between Akili and Newton is that both blew up for one season in college and then jetted for the pros.

Akili wasn't ready for the pro game; didn't have that grind work-ethic you need to excel as an NFL QB and was forced to play too soon. Besides the fact that the Bengals may have been the worst team in the NFL.
Injuries basically killed it for him.

SRK85
01-07-2011, 04:51 PM
There are now 3 QBs that will be drafted in the 1st round.
Blaine Gabbert top 15
Jake Locker-top 15
Cam Newton 1st round

ViperVisor
01-07-2011, 05:03 PM
There are some parallels. Also sounds a little like Locker.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/players/15884.html

He is making the most dramatic move up the draft charts among the QBs despite of his lack of experience. He is a former junior college transferhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/news/1999/04/12/akili_draft/
"Football has always been my first love, but at the time I had went through some trouble and I didnít pass the SAT back in í93 and it really made my decision quite easy to pick baseball," Smith said. "It just didnít go well. I wasnít as focused as I am now."

JPP90
01-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok...and Locker isn't a JUCO transfer nor is he inexperienced. Where the hell are you trying to go with that?

Babylon
01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Ok...and Locker isn't a JUCO transfer nor is he inexperienced. Where the hell are you trying to go with that?

They do have similar size, arm, speed (almost) and a baseball background. I think Jake is more focused but i see some similarities.

ViperVisor
01-07-2011, 05:23 PM

JUCO is the Newton part not Jake.

Similar physical attributes and baseball in the background.
Report isn't far off from Scott's
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Jake-Locker.php

bucfan12
01-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Who ever drafts Mallett, good luck with this.

According to NFL.com's Albert Breer, "off-field concerns" are likely to adversely affect Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett's stock in the draft.
Mallett was arrested for public intoxication as a third-year sophomore, pleaded guilty, and was later subjected to further punishment by coach Bobby Petrino. It's not just that, though. Mallett has a Jimmy Clausen-like stigma as an "entitled" personality, and has drawn comparisons to Ryan Leaf. He's going to go high in the draft, most likely, but carries plenty of risk.

source: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&rwr=1&id=6470

Like I said, this kid has character issues and no leadership qualities what so ever. That is why I wouldn't draft him that high and believe me, a guy, say Jim Harbaugh, after coaching Andrew Luck the past few years, won't want an arrogant @** hole leading his team. Hopefully some of these GM's do their homework on him.

descendency
01-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Biggest comparison between Akili and Newton is that both blew up for one season in college and then jetted for the pros

Like Mark Sanchez?

Who ever drafts Mallett, good luck with this.

source: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&rwr=1&id=6470

Like I said, this kid has character issues and no leadership qualities what so ever. That is why I wouldn't draft him that high and believe me, a guy, say Jim Harbaugh, after coaching Andrew Luck the past few years, won't want an arrogant @** hole leading his team. Hopefully some of these GM's do their homework on him.

Been saying this for ages. He's improved as a football player (better touch and accuracy on all of his passes), but holy crap does he come off like a jerk.

FUNBUNCHER
01-07-2011, 10:24 PM
If Jimmy Clausen could throw a football like Mallett can, he would have gone in the first 20 picks last year, 'entitled personality' or not.

Not disregarding this opinion about Mallett, but to me it's being blown out of proportion.
What star QB in the SEC doesn't think they're 'special', on and off the field???
The bigger questions should be, is he coachable?? How is he received in the lockerroom? How much time does he put in own his own preparing for an opponent???

IMO I kind of expect college football players who are extremely physically gifted and KNOW it to be a little cocky.

To me it feels like people are grasping onto shreds of practically nothing to down grade Mallett.

Babylon
01-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Like Mark Sanchez?

Been saying this for ages. He's improved as a football player (better touch and accuracy on all of his passes), but holy crap does he come off like a jerk.

He did see action only in two years but he was in the system for 4 years facing arguably the best defense in the country every day in practice.