PDA

View Full Version : Von Millers Best Fit?

roscoesdad27
01-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Most mocks, including mine has him going to a 3-4 to play olb but I'm starting to think that a 4-3 slb/nickel r.e. role ala Brian Orakapo his fisrt season is a much better fit. He's a bit small for the 3-4 olb role and will become a liability in the run game not to mention that a large number of 3-4 teams come from the bellichek tree which requires bigger than usual olb's. To me he's a viable option for detriot if quinn, bowers, peterson and amukamara are gone....he could play olb immediatly and I would use him to blitz more often than normal olbs of course but he is also very good in coverage to mix it up. He could also put his hand in the dirt as.a r.e. in nickel/dime/passing situations to bring some serious heat and give the l.t. a new look. He would be perfect for teams like Detriot or N.O. cause they both need help at olb and r.e.

Dontay Moch would be better in this role as well imho.

K Train
01-05-2011, 09:07 AM
id like him in a lance briggs role more than a 34OLB

AntoinCD
01-05-2011, 09:16 AM
I really only see him as a situational player at the next level. I think he will really struggle to be a 3 down player in any system. He probably doesn't have the functional strength to set the edge in the running game in the 34, Im not sure he could handle taking NFL OTs on straight up in the 43 at DE and he doesn't have the coverage abilities to be a full time starter in a 43 at OLB.

The two players I would mostly compare Von Miller to are Tully Banta-Cain and Everette Brown

bruschis4all
01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I really only see him as a situational player at the next level. I think he will really struggle to be a 3 down player in any system. He probably doesn't have the functional strength to set the edge in the running game in the 34, Im not sure he could handle taking NFL OTs on straight up in the 43 at DE and he doesn't have the coverage abilities to be a full time starter in a 43 at OLB.

The two players I would mostly compare Von Miller to are Tully Banta-Cain and Everette Brown

You're underestimating his footspeed. I'll bet he runs a 4.55 or so. He reminds me of a Jon Beason/Ernie Sims type of 4-3 olb. We'll have to see if he has their instincts. But, his game against Oklahoma this year was the best I've seen all year. From any defender. Not just a lb. He was hurt early in the year and that's why his stats are off. TBC and E. Brown are 4.8/4.9 olb/de types in a 3-4. Miller is much faster.

1funguy
01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
He's an overrated one trick pony.

TACKLE
01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I love him as a 4-3 OLB. I'm not convinced that his pass rushing abilities off the edge will translate to the NFL. He's already a bit undersized for the position he lacks counter moves and only has speed and doesn't have the power to set up a good speed rush. I think he would hard time setting the edge in the run game too. But in the 4-3, he could use his speed and explosiveness to fly sideline to sideline. His size would be just right for the position. He hasn't look out of place at all when they ask him to drop in coverage. He might not be the best at taking on blocks compared to other DE/OLB types but would be above average compared to other WLB's. I can't help but think that he would be an excellent blitzer . Put him in as a WILL in a 4-3 team the likes to blitz wand he will thrive.

GoRavens
01-05-2011, 09:27 PM

- you ignorant fool.
Von Miller will eat you alive..
Every single team in the NFL needs an energetic, off the bench, game changing pass rusher.
He's a leader, players follow his lead and his energy is infectious.
He reminds me a lot of Terrell Suggs, who as we all know, does work.
Millers been hitting the weight room hard and will show up to the combine at 255+... I expect him to run a 4.7.. Late first/early second.
He's great

ShoeLB50
01-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Not in Detroit to much of a project for a outside linebacker in the 4-3 and a bit weak for end. The Lions need a immediate impact at OLB.

roscoesdad27
01-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Not in Detroit to much of a project for a outside linebacker in the 4-3 and a bit weak for end. The Lions need a immediate impact at OLB.

I think he's built idealy for the 4-3 olb spot....and yes he is to weak to play standard d.e. In base packages but he would be an ideal r.e. In passing situations...normally when a nickel corner comes in 1 of the olb's goes to the sideline....in this case a d.e. would go to the sideline with miller putting his hand in the dirt, leaving more speed on the field....his value might not be right for pick 13 but this is his ideal role and it seems like a fit with you guys needing help at olb and r.e.

Scotty D
01-06-2011, 06:17 AM
I think he's built idealy for the 4-3 olb spot....and yes he is to weak to play standard d.e. In base packages but he would be an ideal r.e. In passing situations...normally when a nickel corner comes in 1 of the olb's goes to the sideline....in this case a d.e. would go to the sideline with miller putting his hand in the dirt, leaving more speed on the field....his value might not be right for pick 13 but this is his ideal role and it seems like a fit with you guys needing help at olb and r.e.

Who do you like better in that role, Akeem Ayers or Von Miller? Both sound like good fits to take over for Julian Peterson at SLB.

1funguy
01-06-2011, 06:34 AM
- you ignorant fool.
Von Miller will eat you alive..
Every single team in the NFL needs an energetic, off the bench, game changing pass rusher.
He's a leader, players follow his lead and his energy is infectious.
He reminds me a lot of Terrell Suggs, who as we all know, does work.
Millers been hitting the weight room hard and will show up to the combine at 255+... I expect him to run a 4.7.. Late first/early second.
He's great

Well thanks for the first sentence.

You have your opinion, I'll maintain mine. If you'd like to be a tough guy to my face, I'm likely not far away if you're a local Ravens' fan.

Have a nice day, dikhed.

ShoeLB50
01-06-2011, 06:39 AM
I don't see the Lions looking to a guy that hasn't played the position before. I can at least see Ayers but Von has never done anything significant but rush from OLB. I honestly don't think they are looking for Petersons replacement as much as a OLB who can cover someone in the passing game. Its not like they need a Derrick Brooks type but maybe a Mason Foster would work. Von Miller NO. Maybe he can do it but if so it'll be the Lawrence Timmons path to it with time to develop.

roscoesdad27
01-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Ayers is a better pure olb but I like von's versatility and how they match your team needs....he's also better in coverage than credited for. He would have the same role as brian orakpo did his first year before washington switched to the 3-4. New Orleans could be a landing spot for him as well. Dontay Moch is very similiar and could possibly be had in round 2 if you like the idea but not the value at 13.

descendency
01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Where do you put speed rushers who have good coverage instincts?

43 Sam.

thegreatone
01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Well thanks for the first sentence.

You have your opinion, I'll maintain mine. If you'd like to be a tough guy to my face, I'm likely not far away if you're a local Ravens' fan.

Have a nice day, dikhed.
LOL

Baltimore fight.

1funguy
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
LOL

Baltimore fight.

Not a Raven fan or a Baltimore resident.

Just close enough if the gentleman wants to talk **** to my face.

I've come here to talk a little football, not to be insulted without provocation.

GoRavens
01-07-2011, 08:05 AM

I've come here to talk a little football, not to be insulted without provocation.

don't get all emotional over a NFL draft message board, c'mon son -_-
I called you 'ignorant' which you are if you believe thats an insult.
I sugar coated it, that's like calling someone with down syndrome 'special'
Von Miller has a wide variety of pass rush moves..
He's a tremendous athlete with amazing energy..
A one trick pony you say? why don't you explain your words?
- Not only is he arguably the most dominate passrusher in the draft, he's also one of the most versatile 3/4 OLBs..
- Let's see in 3 years, you will be proven wrong, like an ignorant little baby

stephenson86
01-07-2011, 08:08 AM

LOL, no way are you getting this irate on a message board...you allowed out in public?

Day One Pick
01-07-2011, 08:13 AM

Not true. That's the consensus on him because he can get to the QB. A lot of people say the same thing about James Harrison and he's as complete a LB you'll ever find. Miller is to me a linebacker first, a pass rusher 2nd. I tend to agree with the original poster that Miller might be be in a 4-3 defense. Good fit for the Eagles defense IMO.