PDA

View Full Version : Strength Of This Year's Draft Class?

NY+Giants=NYG
01-05-2011, 01:43 PM
If one were to examine the overall draft class. Where are the strength and weaknesses of this class?

Strength:

Weakness:

If someone can fill that. Just general stuff. DE is a strength this year, right? What other positions are stacked up?

superman
01-05-2011, 01:46 PM
QB seems stacked

and Oline weak. at least at the top.

keylime_5
01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
defensive line is absolutely loaded. Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Marcell Dareus, Cameron Heyward, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, Corey Liuget, Stephen Paea, Drake Nevis, Adrian Clayborn are all potential first round picks this year (some of those guys have to declare since they are underclassmen though). Not to mention guys like Christian Ballard, Jabaal Sheard, Allen Bailey, Justin Houston, Jared Crick, and Sam Acho.

WR is good too. Green, Jones, Blackmon, Floyd, Baldwin, Broyles, Smith, Jerrigan, Titus Young, and Leonard Hankerson could be a really impressive top tier at WR.

Weaknesses are definitely TE and S. There isn't any first round safeties this year, though there are some good values in round 2 and 3 at safety. Not any elite offensive tackles this year either, though there are plenty of potential starting tackles to be had in rounds 1 and 2.

regoob2
01-05-2011, 01:56 PM
1st round QBs
WR
OT No elite ones but a lot of starters
CB

Weak
OG
C
S
LB

wonderbredd24
The strongest, deepest positions in this draft are corner and wide receiver. Wherever you pick in any round, there should be a good value at either position.

And there are certainly some guys I like, but I'm not thrilled with this running back class.

rainbeaukid2
qb seems to be pretty strong at the top with the potential for around 5 first rounders, but after that i think the talent drops off pretty drastically

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-05-2011, 01:58 PM
defensive line is absolutely loaded. Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Marcell Dareus, Cameron Heyward, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, Corey Liuget, Stephen Paea, Drake Nevis, Adrian Clayborn are all potential first round picks this year (some of those guys have to declare since they are underclassmen though). Not to mention guys like Christian Ballard, Jabaal Sheard, Allen Bailey, Justin Houston, Jared Crick, and Sam Acho.

WR is good too. Green, Jones, Blackmon, Floyd, Baldwin, Broyles, Smith, Jerrigan, Titus Young, and Leonard Hankerson could be a really impressive top tier at WR.

Weaknesses are definitely TE and S. There isn't any first round safeties this year, though there are some good values in round 2 and 3 at safety. Not any elite offensive tackles this year either, though there are plenty of potential starting tackles to be had in rounds 1 and 2.

I agree with all of this.

If this draft had a few better OL it would be an epic class. It's a really good draft.

This TE class is very weak, but wasn't last years considered kind of the same? I know this year's class is worse, but if you look at the rookie TEs this year in a "weak" class they have shined. The two in New England, Moeaki in KC, Graham in NO, and I am missing one that I can't think of.

wicket
01-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Strengths:
QB, WR, CB, DEnd

Neutral:
OT, Safety, RB, DT

Down Year:
Interior OLine, TE, LB

jrdrylie
01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
I agree with all of this.

If this draft had a few better OL it would be an epic class. It's a really good draft.

This TE class is very weak, but wasn't last years considered kind of the same? I know this year's class is worse, but if you look at the rookie TEs this year in a "weak" class they have shined. The two in New England, Moeaki in KC, Graham in NO, and I am missing one that I can't think of.

You're probably thinking of Jermaine Gresham, the first TE taken.

K Train
01-05-2011, 02:11 PM
QB is stacked...best since 04, but WR is legendary.

so weak at tackle after some monster classes, and this is one of the better CB classes ive seen.

i think this CB class with
patrick peterson
prince amukamara
janoris jenkins
brandon harris
aaron williams
jimmy smith
curtis brown
davon house
chris culliver
ras-i dowling

could be as good as 08 with

Dominique Rodger's Cromartie
Leodis McKelvin
Aqib Talib
Mike Jenkins
Antoine Cason
Brandon Flowers
Tracy Porter
Patrick Lee
Terrence Wheatley
Terell Thomas

dline- in particular 34 dline seems pretty stacked as well

RB seems weak as hell

bucfan12
01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Strong:
- Dline is stacked
- WR

Good:
QB: Besides Andrew Luck, I don't know who really is elite. Maybe Gabbert, but the rest have question marks.
RB: pretty deep.
CB: It's not deep, but you can find some great players in the 1st two rounds if all the junior prospects end up declaring.

WEAK:
LB: No one really considered elite and honestly, don't see any 1st round prospects. A few might be good players in the NFL.
S: Really weak. I don't think any will be taken in round 1 either, but there are some sleepers, like Jarrett from Temple.
O-line: Don't really see any elite tackle prospects that warrant a top 10 grade like previous years. A lot of right tackle prospects and to be honest, the Guard class is better than the Tackle class.
TE: Only Kyle Rudolph and DJ Williams will be contributors in my opinion. Not a lot to choose from here though.

PossibleCabbage
01-05-2011, 03:01 PM
When you guys are saying "LB is weak" do you mean traditional 4-3 backers and 3-4 ILBs, or are you also commenting on the guys who will go from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB?

BuddyCHRIST
01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
I think its strong overall, when you have such legit guys at QB and D-Line, the 2 hardest positions to find then that says alot. Add in a loaded WR class.

The O-Line definitely lacks elite guys, but should be solid depth.

bucfan12
01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
When you guys are saying "LB is weak" do you mean traditional 4-3 backers and 3-4 ILBs, or are you also commenting on the guys who will go from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB?

I think outside of a few guys, that is even if they declare, the rest is full of backups/special teamers.

I think I might have left out a few 3-4 tweeners, but 4-3 LB's I think is stronger than 3-4 LB's. Honestly, Ayers declared and he will be a 3-4 pass rusher and might be a 1st rounder. I haven't really scouted 4-3 ends on how they will project to 3-4 OLB's because a few can play both. I don't like Von Miller at all and think he'll bust.

4-3 OLB, I think the best is Travis Lewis and thats it and I don't even know if he'll declare.

MLB's there could be a few in Sturdavent, Irving, and Sheppard. Greg Jones is a MLB-OLB tweener. I am just not really sold on the overall LB class.

PossibleCabbage
01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
I think outside of a few guys, that is even if they declare, the rest is full of backups/special teamers.

I think I might have left out a few 3-4 tweeners, but 4-3 LB's I think is stronger than 3-4 LB's. Honestly, Ayers declared and he will be a 3-4 pass rusher and might be a 1st rounder. I haven't really scouted 4-3 ends on how they will project to 3-4 OLB's because a few can play both. I don't like Von Miller at all and think he'll bust.

4-3 OLB, I think the best is Travis Lewis and thats it and I don't even know if he'll declare.

MLB's there could be a few in Sturdavent, Irving, and Sheppard. Greg Jones is a MLB-OLB tweener. I am just not really sold on the overall LB class.

There's also a bunch of guys that most people see as DEs, but would probably have no trouble converting to OLB like Quinn and Kerrigan. Those guys are both first rounders, I'm just wondering if people saying "LB is weak" are counting those guys.

bucfan12
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
There's also a bunch of guys that most people see as DEs, but would probably have no trouble converting to OLB like Quinn and Kerrigan. Those guys are both first rounders, I'm just wondering if people saying "LB is weak" are counting those guys.

I don't see Kerrigan as a 3-4 OLB. Robert Quinn has the athleticism to make the adjustment, but both are successful 4-3 ends. Quinn and Aldon Smith remind me of Simeon Rice, and he is a guy I never could imagine in a 3-4 OLB. Same thing with Kerrigan. He is a Kearney/Chris Long type player and is best fit as a 4-3 LDE.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2011, 03:57 PM
QB and WR strong

OL and TE seem pretty weak. I can't even think of one great TE prospect. Is DJ Williams the #1 guy? I havent even looked at the board tbh

K Train
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
i think rudolph is the clear #1 TE

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
BTW I think the CB class has big potential too as long as Amukamara and Peterson don't get moved to safety

When a guy like Jimmy Smith who I really like is hardly even talked about the class must be pretty good

edit: /\totally forgot about him. guess thats not bad

Don Vito
01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
This class of pass rushers is pretty weak.

A Perfect Score
01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
This is by far the best WR class Ive ever seen. Of the expected eligible, there are at least 10 guys who carry a first/second round grade IMO. My rankings go

1. Green
2. Jones
3. Blackmon
4. Floyd
5. Smith
6. Baldwin
7. Broyles
8. Jernigan
9. Hankerson
10. Pryor

K Train
01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
and imo 4 of those guys could end up with top 10 grades in most WR classes

rainbeaukid2
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
what do you guys think about guys who may not have been as heralded before during the season but had great bowl games like Shane Skov, Stanford and Tank Carder, TCU? they both had phenomenal bowl games, but I haven't really heard their names in connection to being high draft picks

RaiderNation
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
QB, WR and CB are stacked. Seems like a top heavy Dline class for the first few rounds

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
skov isnt (cant?) coming out, he's going to be a big time prospect when he does though

he was highly regarded out of high school and was great all year, the bowl performance wasnt a fluke

brasho
01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
There's going to be 5 QBs taken in round 1... but that still isn't the strongest position, DE will put at least 7 and maybe 10 guys in round 1. I've listed 14 guys, not all will be DEs, but all could be.

Nick Fairly and Marcel Dareus may end up inside at the next level, but in the 3-4 they would likely play DE.

Robert Quinn, DaQuan Bowers, Ryan Kerrigan, Allen Bailey, Adrian Clayborn, Aldon Smith, Cameron Heyward, Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt (of course Quinn, Kerrigan, and Smith could end up being OLBs)

Justin Houston and Von Miller (maybe Akeem Ayers) may end up being DE's in the 4-3

brasho
01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
skov isnt (cant?) coming out, he's going to be a big time prospect when he does though

he was highly regarded out of high school and was great all year, the bowl performance wasnt a fluke

You know who is good that isn't coming out is Kuechly of BC... that guy completely overshadows Herzlich.

rainbeaukid2
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM

oh my bad, i didn't realize he was that young, played a heck of a game though and looks to be a stud in the future. what about the other guy i was asking about, Tank Carder? dude also played a great game and just seemed to be everywhere for the TCU defense

NY+Giants=NYG
01-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks! If DL is so stacked, I wonder what the odds are we go DL, yet again, in a draft class that is stacked especially at the top.

brasho
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
oh my bad, i didn't realize he was that young, played a heck of a game though and looks to be a stud in the future. what about the other guy i was asking about, Tank Carder? dude also played a great game and just seemed to be everywhere for the TCU defense

He is a junior and the reigning conference player of the year... he's losing his QB, I read something about changes on defense (Barnett not calling plays?)... but I think he lacks the exposure to come out... I hope he does.. and my team gets lucky when he falls to them in round 3.