PDA

View Full Version : Lions Possibilities

MI_Buckeye
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
As we all know, the Lions fell further down the draft board than anyone else over the final month of the season by winning their last four four games. Now, they are suddenly picking in the middle of the first round at No. 13, and it has totally opened up their possibilities.

Just about every mock a month ago had the Leos taking either Peterson or Prince. Those two are now out of the question, but is the corner position as a whole? IMO, both Janoris Jenkins and Brandon Harris would qualify as slight reaches at 13, but they might just be worth it since the Lions are so thin at CB.

To me, the three biggest priorities have to be CB, OT and LB. Could Castonzo or Sherrod be the long-term replacement for Backus? Is Detroit a possible landing spot for Akeem Ayers? How about one of the pass rushers given that Vandebosch is old and injured? And for once, trading down is an actual possibility.

What do you guys think? I think the Lions are one of the more intriguing teams going into the offseason. They have a lot of good players but a lot of holes as well.

Monomach
01-05-2011, 09:24 PM
What do you guys think?

We don't care because this isn't the Lions forum. We don't make "who will TEAM X draft" threads in the draft forum. That all goes in the specific team forum.

Scotty D
01-05-2011, 09:28 PM
We don't care because this isn't the Lions forum. We don't make "who will TEAM X draft" threads in the draft forum. That all goes in the specific team forum.

While you are telling everyone about the rules, why don't you fix your sig?

MI_Buckeye
01-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Well excuse for wanting to know what the rest of the fans on this forum who arent Lions fans think about what they should/are going to do with their draft.

I talk to enough Lions fans every day, and I wanted a different perspective from fans with decent knowledge of the prospects in the draft. If you only care about your team, why would you come on this site to begin with?

Master Exploder
01-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I like what the Lions did at the end of the season. It makes me wonder what could've been had they had Stafford the entire season. Regardless, there are other forums for that, but I'll play along anyways. I think they could luck out and possibly get Da'Quan Bowers or Robert Quinn at #13 depending on how the draft plays out. So, I wouldn't write off getting the best DE in the draft just yet. They'll probably have to reach for a corner, but Akumara could potentially fall to them, and it is a couple months away from draft time and stocks do rise and fall, but as of right now, I'd say they have a slim chance of getting 1 of the 2 top CB's and a they'll have to reach for the others. As far as the OT's go, I think Derek Sherrod is amazing and I think he's one of the safer picks in the draft as of right now. He's talented and can play all across the line and I think he'd do a fine job taking over for Backus in a year or so.

Monomach
01-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Eat me. And I mean that in the most polite way possible.

Wait. No, I don't.

Wrathman
01-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I think the Lions can get their CB in Round 2 if they think someone on the DL or OT is worth their first-round pick. They need to touch on LB, CB, OL, a power RB and WR depth in this draft. They will certainly be hoping that the QB-hungry teams ahead of them grab the rookie QBs and don't acquire veterans so that the other talent falls their way as much as possible. If it doesn't go that way, I can see them trading down.

roscoesdad27
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM
1) You don't have to be a lion fan to ponder who they will take. They've finished better than expected and the targets virtually all mockers been givin them since last may should be gone making this a legit thread in the general nfl draft thread even thou its team specific.

2) Don't know why backus continues to be underated, he's not the problem...o.g. is...pouncy looked tremendous in the penn state game and has the size to fit your power scheme plus could play center of need be. He could be another option.

3) Prince could slip cause I don't think he's as fast as some might think, might even be labeled a cover 2 corner which is fine with you guys. He would be ideal if available....jenkins wouldn't be bad but I wouldn't touch harris there.

4) I love ayers but I'm starting to think von miller might be better cause of his versatility to play r.e. In passing situations. I could see you guys using him like washington used brian orakpo his rookie year. SLB in base packages and r.e. in nickel/dime packages....could possibly get dontay moch in the second for this exact role if you like the idea but don't think miller is worth pick 12.

5) I wouldn't rule out julio jones or justin blackmon either. One of these guys along with calvin johnson could force defenses to leave both safties in coverage which could really open the run game up. Perfect for your power run/play action offense.

6) Justin Houston, Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan could be viable at d.e. as well.

Detriot big board

1) P. Peterson
2) D. Bowers
3) R. Quinn
4) P. Amukamara
5) V. Miller
6) J. Jenkins
7) M. Pouncy
8) A. Ayers
9) J. Jones
10) J. Blackmon

Master Exploder
01-06-2011, 01:00 AM
I was wondering.. what about Mark Ingram? I know they drafted Best last year in the 1st, but it doesn't look like they are committed into giving him the bulk of the carries in a game, and Maurice Morris is only getting older and I haven't heard any good news from Kevin Smith since his rookie season. I think Ingram could be a decent fit here and if used correctly they could use both Best and Ingram to the best of their abilities while splitting their carries.

I think it may be a little early, but I think a lot of teams are making the switch to rb committees and it would be interesting to see if they wanted to explore that option early in the 1st.

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
best had turf toe on both feet....i think its really underrated how terrible that is for someone who has to run.

i think at 13 they could take a serious look at sherrod...DE is a possibility but they could also look into running a 1-5-5 with king suh dominating the world

this IS a good team and i hope stafford stays healthy next year, they will win 10-11 games if he does....winning the last few screwed them out of peterson or bowers, which imo would have put their roster over the top of elite players

Michigan
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
As long as we don't get mocked a LT I'm happy. Backus sucked for most of his career, but he's been very good for the past couple years. Give us a guard.

and lawl no to Mark Ingram

MI_Buckeye
01-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I sort of salivate at the idea of Julio to pair with Calvin, but then I get nervous, because I just dont think Detroit has all the core positions taken care of. Hometown boy (sort of) Ingram would be and excellent addition, but I tend to agree with Scott when he says you should NOT take a RB in the top half of the first round unless he is an uber-elite prospect.

Also, I know Backus has improved greatly the past couple years, but he is getting up there, and I am just skeptical about his ability to play at a high level for more than another year or two. Sherrod could come in and beat out the waste that is Gosder Cherilus at RT, eventually replacing Backus on the left side.

That being said, all bets are off if Amukamara falls past No. 8. If that happens, Mayhew better be working the phones hard.

WMD
01-06-2011, 05:03 PM
We should trade Shaun Hill and Cliff Avril in a trade up with Arizona to get Patrick Peterson.

MI_Buckeye
01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
We should trade Shaun Hill and Cliff Avril in a trade up with Arizona to get Patrick Peterson.

If Arizona would be stupid enough to take that trade, The Cards should be demoted to the UFL.

ChiFan24
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Yeah, this forum is for Locker vs. Newton arguments only.

wordofi
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM

He got owned. Oh the irony.

detroit4life
01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I think you will see the needs of the lions change after FA. As of right now i would say best case scenario is prince falling, after that I expect them to either reach and take jenkins harris, or ayers (or the top LB in the draft).

Oline is an issue but its mostly interior line which really won't be addressed at 13 so that would be addressed in the 2nd or 3rd

terribletowel39
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
If Arizona would be stupid enough to take that trade, The Cards should be demoted to the UFL.
They get a serviceable QB and someone to replace the 56 yr old Haggans. Avril could play standing up.

detroit4life
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
They get a serviceable QB and someone to replace the 56 yr old Haggans. Avril could play standing up.

IMO avril is probably better suited to play standing up

rainbeaukid2
01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
idk if they would go with ayers, one of his main abilities is his pass rush, he might get harder looks as a 3-4 OLB where he can use his pass defense skills and still rush the QB on more occasions

WMD
01-06-2011, 10:03 PM

And #13, and whatever other pick we'd put in there.. a 3rd Rounder or something..

LETS DO IT ARIZONA.