PDA

View Full Version : Grillmasters unite

Vince Lombardi
06-13-2006, 09:18 PM
If you are a grillmaster (even if it's self appointed) share your secrets here!

Cooking over open flame is about the only way I know. :oops:

I can tell you that the #1 secret to becoming a grillmaster is marinade. It will take anything to a whole new level! Of course, there are a million different marinades out there so you have to know what you're going for.

And then there's the age long debate; charcoal or propane?

I like the taste of charcoal but I use propane at the moment because of convenience. When I have the money and room though, I want to get a Big Green Egg (http://www.biggreenegg.com/bge.htm). They're supposed to be the shhitttteeeee. :)

frogstomp
06-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Vince.... you crazy...

That is all.

FlutiesDropKick
06-13-2006, 09:19 PM
just got a new cheep ass charcol grill, ready to start the summer off right 8)

Moses
06-13-2006, 09:20 PM
The most important thing is getting quality meat and quality ingredients. Cuts from the grocery store just won't cut it. Plus don't be cheap on any of the ingredients, no matter how insignificant they may seem. It all makes a difference.

jetvilma51
charcoal is a million times better then gas but charcoal takes a little more time

I just sent this to PETA. They will now make you enemy number one.

njx9
06-13-2006, 09:21 PM
i don't know how anyone could vote propane for any reason other than convenience/hoa rules.

the other secret is how long you grill the meat. anyone who grills a burger until it's gray all the way through as a matter of course should never be allowed near a spatula again. the standard cook time should always be medium, with variation on request. this also applies to steak.

Nerv
06-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Hank Hill talked me into propane. Propane is just so quick and easy you have your food in no time and it still tastes great.

Nerv
06-13-2006, 09:25 PM
i don't know how anyone could vote propane for any reason other than convenience/hoa rules.

the other secret is how long you grill the meat. anyone who grills a burger until it's gray all the way through as a matter of course should never be allowed near a spatula again. the standard cook time should always be medium, with variation on request. this also applies to steak.

That is actually how I like my burgers. Grey with just a twinge of pink still in it, nice and medium well. You would hate eating meat with my dad, he likes to cook the stuff until it is dark & black. That is actually the reason Im not a big steak fan, my dad would always make it soooo well done that it turned me off from it for a long time.

Vince Lombardi
06-13-2006, 09:26 PM

Yeah, you gotta preheat the grill so that when you put the meat on, the heat sears it and seals the juices in. :wink:

njx9
06-13-2006, 09:31 PM

That is actually how I like my burgers. Grey with just a twinge of pink still in it, nice and medium well. You would hate eating meat with my dad, he likes to cook the stuff until it is dark & black. That is actually the reason Im not a big steak fan, my dad would always make it soooo well done that it turned me off from it for a long time.

see, and that's cool. i understand some people like the charcoal literally adhered to the meat. but it's just obnoxious when people cook everything that way without taking into account that the vast majority of the grilling public likes it some degree of medium (from med-well to med-rare, but regardless, still somewhat pink).

njx9
06-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Yeah, you gotta preheat the grill so that when you put the meat on, the heat sears it and seals the juices in. :wink:

WORD.

although i'm usually too lazy when i cook for myself :oops:

njx9
06-13-2006, 09:33 PM
another rule of grilling (actually, eating grilled food prepared by someone else):

if i've marinated the meat, taste it before you add A1 (or whatever condiment) or don't female-dog at me because it doesn't taste right.

otoh: if it's just a burger and all it's got is some pepper on it, by all means, do whatever the hell you want.

06-13-2006, 09:45 PM

Searing actually doesnt keep juices in.

Rob S
06-13-2006, 09:51 PM

Yes it does, but even more important is letting the meat rest.

rainbeaukid2
06-13-2006, 10:23 PM
charcoal tastes much better than propane.

duckseason
06-13-2006, 10:23 PM

Most important thing when cooking any meat. At least 10 mins.
You cut that steak/chicken/whatever open right away, and there goes all the effort you put into making it moist.

06-13-2006, 10:41 PM

Letting the meat rest is critical. But all the heat does from searing is burst the little cell walls and let juice out. Foot Network did a test on it.

duckseason
06-13-2006, 10:46 PM
People think searing meat seals juices in, but what it really does is give the meat flavor. That nice brown color/crust, is nothing but concentrated flavor heaven. I saw Alton Brown do a test, and what he did was weigh the 2 steaks afterward. The seared steak was slightly lighter.

If you're BBQ'ing, there is no need to sear.....you will get plenty of browning naturally.
I always sear my pot-roast though.

Vince Lombardi
06-13-2006, 10:49 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm concentrated flavor heaven drooooooooooooooollllllllllllll :lol:

06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
People think searing meat seals juices in, but what it really does is give the meat flavor. That nice brown color/crust, is nothing but concentrated flavor heaven. I saw Alton Brown do a test, and what he did was weigh the 2 steaks afterward. The seared steak was slightly lighter.

If you're BBQ'ing, there is no need to sear.....you will get plenty of browning naturally.

Indeed, flavor but no Juice. Alton Brown is an awesome Chef. I try to never miss his show. I hate that damn kid he brought on unfortunantly.

duckseason
06-13-2006, 11:01 PM

Indeed, flavor but no Juice. Alton Brown is an awesome Chef. I try to never miss his show. I hate that damn kid he brought on unfortunantly.

Dude, I've never made a recipe from him that didn't turn out great. Now, anytime I wanna make something that I'm not sure about, or want ideas about, I always go to foodnetwork.com and see if he's got a recipe for it. He usually does. He definitely knows his stuff.

06-13-2006, 11:08 PM

Dude, I've never made a recipe from him that didn't turn out great. Now, anytime I wanna make something that I'm not sure about, or want ideas about, I always go to foodnetwork.com and see if he's got a recipe for it. He usually does. He definitely knows his stuff.

Huh? I love that guy. I wasnt trying to say he s ucks. I made one of his recipes last night in fact.

iworshipbender
06-13-2006, 11:11 PM
i hate the pink, well done for me (not burnt to a crisp though

Vince Lombardi
06-13-2006, 11:14 PM

Cool, I'll have to check out some of this dudes recipes. I don't have the food network, but I'll see what I can find online.

Vespasian
06-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Cook with indirect heat and take your time. Grilling isn't a race its an art, a passion if you will. Take your time and you'll be glad you did.

nobodyinparticular
06-14-2006, 02:43 AM
If you are a grillmaster (even if it's self appointed) share your secrets here!

Cooking over open flame is about the only way I know. :oops:

I can tell you that the #1 secret to becoming a grillmaster is marinade. It will take anything to a whole new level! Of course, there are a million different marinades out there so you have to know what you're going for.

And then there's the age long debate; charcoal or propane?

I like the taste of charcoal but I use propane at the moment because of convenience. When I have the money and room though, I want to get a Big Green Egg (http://www.biggreenegg.com/bge.htm). They're supposed to be the shhitttteeeee. :)

I prefer charcoal but BBQ with gas for the most part... :oops:

06-14-2006, 02:58 AM
i like charcoal

Vespasian
06-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Here is a good website for grilling.

http://www.bbqu.net/

drowe
06-14-2006, 08:10 AM
i prefer charcoal...last summer i had a charcoal grill, and i don't wanna brag, but i mastered the damn thing. i had it down.

for a wedding present, my wife's uncles pitched in and got us an amazing gas grill. its really a thing of beauty. but i haven't quite mastered it yet....never owned a gas grill before and it takes some getting used to.

eazyb81
06-14-2006, 11:06 AM
I moved into my first place with a deck a few weeks ago, and the first thing I bought was one of the new Weber's with the little pitcher thing that catches all the ash. It is pretty sweet, i've probably grilled out at least 7 or 8 times already.

One question I have is should you cook your meat with the top of the grill up or down? Does it even matter? I've experimented with both but I haven't noticed much of a difference yet, except when I leave the top down for a few minutes the meat will occassionally stick to the surface.

Vince Lombardi
06-14-2006, 11:13 AM
I usually grill on low heat with the top down since I prefer my meat to be cooked all the way through. It takes longer, but it works for me.

I don't know if having the top up or down really matters except for how well done you want something cooked. Not really sure though.

njx9
06-14-2006, 12:04 PM
as far as i can tell, top down is better at lower temp, because it holds the heat in and cooks through better. at higher heats the top being down will help prevent flare ups on most grills.

*shrug* i cook top down because i think it helps keep the middle of the meat cooking at relatively the same rate as the outside.

06-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Having the top down creates convection as I recall, makes for more even cooking.

njx9
06-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Having the top down creates convection as I recall, makes for more even cooking.

assuming, of course, you have a worthwhile grill.

P-L
06-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Like Vince, I prefer charcoal but use propane due to convience.

drowe
06-14-2006, 12:17 PM
gotta be top down.

06-14-2006, 12:29 PM

I got a new propane one recently, works pretty well.

njx9
06-14-2006, 12:34 PM

i want to get one of those huge built in ones.

something like this (http://shop.lynxgrills.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=20).

drowe
06-14-2006, 12:37 PM

something like this (http://shop.lynxgrills.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=20).

that price was crazy...you get get a decent gas grill for a few hundred.

Tobzilla
06-14-2006, 12:45 PM
My secret is slowcooking...the longer you cook it the better it tastes. Charcoal>gas

njx9
06-14-2006, 12:47 PM

that price was crazy...you get get a decent gas grill for a few hundred.

sure, but why eat spam when you could have prime rib?

(currently, i can afford neither)

06-14-2006, 01:11 PM

Wow, its so pretty. but 7,200? Damn thats expensive, I couldnt afford to put any meat on there if I bought that sucker.

Vince Lombardi
06-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Wow, its so pretty. but 7,200? Damn thats expensive, I couldnt afford to put any meat on there if I bought that sucker.

ha..seriously! :shock: It truely is a thing of beauty though.

I think I'll stcik to my dream of someday getting a big green egg grill, they're much more reasonable and are suppossed to work great (and last forever).

njx9
06-14-2006, 02:12 PM

who buys meat? eat your neighbor.

06-14-2006, 02:14 PM

who buys meat? eat your neighbor.

Id rather eat my neighbor's dog, although I would need about 12-15 of them to even fill me up. I hate those dogs.

njx9
06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
little yippy things?

Vince Lombardi
06-14-2006, 02:45 PM
mean shish kabobs on the grill

chop or slice bite sized chunks of

beef or chicken
zucchini
mushrooms
red onion
pineapple
grape tomatos
potatos (might need to be boiled or nuked first to soften somewhat)
bell peppers (red,yellow,green)
(anything else you like!)

marinate all of this for a few hours (atleast) in a good balsamic vinaigrette.

Cook covered on low heat until meat is cooked through and veggies are tender, then flame up the grill to crispify everything a little bit. Season to taste with garlic salt and lemon pepper.

They're extremely easy to make and taste delicious. At parties you can let people make up their own custom skewers with whatever stuff they like. It's pretty cheap also.

06-14-2006, 02:48 PM
little yippy things?

Yes, *cringe*.

70challenger457
06-14-2006, 05:23 PM
all right i could tell just by reading all these, non of you are actually grill master. Carcol in the little biscits, thats rookie material, me being grill master JR. knows that if you really want to go for flavor, there is a actual realwood charcol. It's called Cowboy Brand Realwood Charcol. That stuff is the real deal. If you guys even need a killer recipe for an amazing shredded chicken sandwich just ask me some time. I even made my own logo for it.
http://myspace-231.vo.llnwd.net/00581/13/26/581616231_l.jpg

70challenger457
06-14-2006, 05:24 PM
well it's grillout wednesday for me so I'm out, brats and tropical punch this week.

critesy
06-14-2006, 06:20 PM
did someone say GRILLZ

http://www.kffm.com/template/images/paul_wall_grillz.jpg

stephenson86
06-14-2006, 06:21 PM
charcoal by a mile

Vince Lombardi
07-09-2006, 01:33 AM
I discovered 1/2 part Jack Daniels Original no:7 BBQ sauce mixed with 1/2 part Guldens spicy brown mustard = amazing!

duckseason
07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
I discovered 1/2 part Jack Daniels Original no:7 BBQ sauce mixed with 1/2 part Guldens spicy brown mustard = amazing!

That sounds hella good. I already got the Guldens, I'll have to go pick up some of the sauce and try that. Thanks.

07-09-2006, 01:49 AM
I use charcoal. AND I have a beer keg BBQ pit. I'm too cool.

Vince Lombardi
07-09-2006, 01:49 AM

That sounds hella good. I already got the Guldens, I'll have to go pick up some of the sauce and try that. Thanks.

You won't regret it! :wink: I came up with it after a few pitchers of beer the other day. lol