PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 07:31 AM
I'm in the process of evaluating talent just now, so I'm a little behind the loop compared to a lot of you guys, so I'm curious....why is he rated so low?

When I watch him, I see Jake Long so far. The guy is big and strong, he's an unbelievable run blocker, he never gets bullrushed, he gets to the 2nd level in the run game, he always gets his hat on ya, he's just a big mean nasty run blocker.

When I look at his pass pro, his punch is good, he has quick feet, and he's able to use his strength to keep you away. He reminds me of Jake Long an awful lot.

So why such a low grade? Am I missing something? Do I need to see more games? He looked impressive vs some high profile DEs.

He's reminds me of Andre Smith too. The good Alabama Andre Smith. Not the fat lazy Bengal Andre Smith.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 07:59 AM
shhhh I want him to be a colt so bad

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 08:01 AM
shhhh I want him to be a colt so bad

I highly doubt he becomes a Colt. They don't like big nasty run blockers. They want finnesse pass protectors.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Seriously though, I hear questions about his footwork. It looks pretty good to me. Questions about his lateral agility, again, he passes the eyeball test.

And players who try bullrushing him early find out the hard way that they can't bc he's so strong, then they just try to run around him and he's ready for it.

I don't see the "he's only a RT" talk. Not yet at least, I need to see more games, but so far, he's been a beast to me.

DiG
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
i havent posted much on gabe but i like him a lot from what ive seen also and could see him as being the guy that moves up boards into the top 10-15 talk when its all said and done. every year 1-2 tackles has that sort of climb.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm pessimistic that he goes too high, probably not higher than the 20s IMO, simply because almost every team will grade him as a right tackle and not a long term left tackle, and there are a lot of guys who can play left tackle that will be available (Smith, Sherrod, Costanzo, Solder, etc.). I wonder how high a team would take a guy who is only a right tackle in the NFL.

xxxxxxxx
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
People are under valueing the position of right tackle. Last time I checked... the defensive player he is blocking can still sack the QB, and make the tackle in the run game. I don't care about the blind side arguement, if the RT gets destroyed off the snap it doesnt matter if the QB see's him, he's still getting sacked, and the running back is getting TFL.

Anyways, on to Carimi, I am on your side BBD, he looked dominant in the Rose Bowl. If the Cowboys traded down i'd love for them to snag him. Carimi and Free would be a boss tackle combo for the future.

Grizzlegom
01-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm in the process of evaluating talent just now, so I'm a little behind the loop compared to a lot of you guys, so I'm curious....why is he rated so low?

When I watch him, I see Jake Long so far. The guy is big and strong, he's an unbelievable run blocker, he never gets bullrushed, he gets to the 2nd level in the run game, he always gets his hat on ya, he's just a big mean nasty run blocker.

When I look at his pass pro, his punch is good, he has quick feet, and he's able to use his strength to keep you away. He reminds me of Jake Long an awful lot.

So why such a low grade? Am I missing something? Do I need to see more games? He looked impressive vs some high profile DEs.

He's reminds me of Andre Smith too. The good Alabama Andre Smith. Not the fat lazy Bengal Andre Smith.

To respond to the bold, here's my opinion:

Similar to a lot of other guys, he struggled early in the year and people just wrote him off and started saying he was no longer in the first round mix. Ignore the fact that once he got into Big Ten play, he was easily the best offensive lineman in the conference. Ignore the fact that he shut down Kerrigan, Clayborn, Heyward, and Browne. He struggled early in the year, he's obviously terrible. Carimi is on my list of guys that were over-rated preseason but because of slow starts are now totally under-rated (Royster, Heyward, Solder, Castonzo, Von Miller, and Quan Sturdivant are also on my list although some of those guys are getting their due and moving back towards where their stock should be).

Now I'm not saying he has no knocks, he's stiffer than I'd like which causes him to struggle a bit with speed rushers and I'm not 100% sure he has that killer instinct/mean streak (85% sure though, definitely had it in Big Ten play) but overall I don't think he's nearly as bad as a lot of people lead you to believe and I think he's absolutely worthy of a first round pick.

SenorGato
01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
He's been a good prospect...it's just the Shiny New Toy Syndrome that hits during draft season...I like him better as a RT prospect but I see/hear alot of teams doing more strongside/weakside blocking than anything else these days...I think he'd make an excellent strongside blocker.

Also, as already stated the RT spot is underrated...I expect it's perceived value to fly up over the next 5 years...

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I have no question that he will be a dominant RT, but my question is why is everyone writing him off at LT?

As was stated earlier, he dominated a lot of premier guys, and from my observations of him, I think he can do more than enough on the left side to hold it down in pass pro.

I just don't get why we're automatically writing him off as a RT. Is it bc he run blocks so well? Why can't he just do that on the left side? It's not like he's a terrible pass protector. He's more than capable of dropping back.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I was impressed how he did against Clayborn and Heyward. Where he may have trouble as a lot of big guys do is the quick speed rusher like a Brandon Graham while at Michigan. Let's face it this is the year for a good player to go higher than he probably should based on supply and demand.

TheMorningZoo
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Now that I think about it, Jake Long is a pretty good comparison for Carimi. Only difference is now that Jake Long has proved all the doubters wrong, and is one of the top 3 "elite" Tackles in the NFL-people may say he doesn't compare to Long, or is a "poor man's" Jake Long. The similarities are their however: Both from Big 10 Programs that ran Pro-Style Offenses, Bulldozing Run Blockers, Stout at the point, King Sized Prospects, Experienced, "have their doubters they can play NFL LT", the only thing is I think Long was more athletic as a whole (Pure Strength, Quickness, etc.). Should be interesting to see where Carimi Lands. I have him as a solid 1st rounder, but would not be surprised if he goes early 2nd.

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Now that I think about it, Jake Long is a pretty good comparison for Carimi. Only difference is now that Jake Long has proved all the doubters wrong, and is one of the top 3 "elite" Tackles in the NFL-people may say he doesn't compare to Long, or is a "poor man's" Jake Long. The similarities are their however: Both from Big 10 Programs that ran Pro-Style Offenses, Bulldozing Run Blockers, Stout at the point, King Sized Prospects, Experienced, "have their doubters they can play NFL LT", the only thing is I think Long was more athletic as a whole (Pure Strength, Quickness, etc.). Should be interesting to see where Carimi Lands. I have him as a solid 1st rounder, but would not be surprised if he goes early 2nd.

agreed....i didnt realize how big carimi really was. i met jake long once he was one of the biggest guys ive ever seen, carimi is about 10 pounds heavier lol

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Yeah, I think people are forgetting how so many just assumed the same thing about Jake Long, how he was a RT in the pros.

Sometimes I think when we see a dominant run blocker, we just assume they're better off at RT bc they tend to be bigger stronger guys who aren't as quick on their feet. We've seen many examples though in the pros of guys who are less athletic than Carimi pan out at LT, and those guys aren't half as talented.

I really think we're selling this guy short, and I think if he gets his chance, he's going to develop as a beast of a LT. Especially if drafted by a team who runs the rock.

Jordan Gross is another comparison that comes to mind.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 01:59 PM
To be fair, I was one of the guys who wasn't sold on Long. I thought he was better off at RT myself.

But I learned my lesson. I see LT potential with Carimi. Remember when people said Trent Williams was a RT? Look at him now.

Carimi is being slept on.

Morton
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
He's going to be a steal for some team if he falls into the bottom half of the first round. No doubt about it.

If he falls into the second round, it's going to be absolutely criminal.

K Train
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
i always thought of long as a great RT with the potential of being a good LT, thats pretty much how i feel about carimi. hes not the RT prospect that a guy like gosder cherilus was (same thing i said about trent williams as well, not just a pure RT, but a RT with serious LT potential)

yourfavestoner
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
He can slide right down to Jacksonville and move Eben Britton to guard. <3

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
He can slide right down to Jacksonville and move Eben Britton to guard. <3

Nice try. You're getting a defensive end or quarterback and you'll like it.

Hines
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Carimi will be nasty as a Steeler.

MI_Buckeye
01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I think the Long comparison is good; they are similar player. Carimi is just not considered to be as good as Long was. Long is bigger and longer than Carimi, and he was one of the best high school basketball players in the state so he obviously had great athleticism.

Because he was so dominant, people dont realize how raw Long was coming out. I believe he came to Michigan as a center. I think the feeling is Carimi has much less upside.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
People are under valueing the position of right tackle. Last time I checked... the defensive player he is blocking can still sack the QB, and make the tackle in the run game. I don't care about the blind side arguement, if the RT gets destroyed off the snap it doesnt matter if the QB see's him, he's still getting sacked, and the running back is getting TFL.

Anyways, on to Carimi, I am on your side BBD, he looked dominant in the Rose Bowl. If the Cowboys traded down i'd love for them to snag him. Carimi and Free would be a boss tackle combo for the future.

right tackle is important, but usually the guys who go in the top 20 are thought of as potential left tackles. I think most pigeonhole Carimi as a right tackle who can play left tackle, but not long term. Kinda like how Eric Steinbach is a left guard in the NFL who can fill in at left tackle, but he is not a longterm answer at left tackle.

umphrey
01-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I've been wondering this myself. The game tape against Ohio State and Iowa (Heyward and Clayborn) pretty much speaks for itself. Not to mention he was the senior left tackle on the most dominant run blocking line in all of college football. I'd say the biggest question is whether he can handle speed rushers, which is something he didn't do a lot in college. That's kind of an unanswered question to me.

wogitalia
01-06-2011, 08:00 PM
I will run out of my house and high five a stranger if we were to take him. I love him as a prospect and totally agree with the Long comparison(who I also loved as a LT prospect).

It just seems like typical senior syndrome, it's almost like if you are a senior and you weren't a TE when you started in college then you get written off as a LT prospect in the pros. The irony being that it has been the seniors that weren't TEs that have done the best in recent times.

Carimi has dominant performance on film for everyone to see. It almost seems like the Big Ten lineman get a bad rep, the DL seem to get devalued for going against the OL and vice versa yet they seem to be continually producing elite NFL guys.

Would love him as the Vikings LT and we can get rid of the useless waste of space that is McKinnie.

PTPaQ
01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I agree with the majority of posters, & have been a Carimi advocate since day 1. People want to call a lot of his competition (Kerrigan, Heyword, Clayborn) top pass rushers at the next level but when Carimi out plays them he is still just a Right Tackle, and won't be able to do that in the NFL? And then he goes up against the speedy Wayne Daniels and handles him without any problems, although he is not suppose to be able to handle speed? He is a smart player that gets his assignments done and is not going to have mental lapses. If you watch some of the plays where it looks like he is getting beat to the edge, he always seems to be able to get into a position to cut off the angle to his QB. His awareness and understanding of where his QB is is top notch.

SenorGato
01-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I have no question that he will be a dominant RT, but my question is why is everyone writing him off at LT?

As was stated earlier, he dominated a lot of premier guys, and from my observations of him, I think he can do more than enough on the left side to hold it down in pass pro.

I just don't get why we're automatically writing him off as a RT. Is it bc he run blocks so well? Why can't he just do that on the left side? It's not like he's a terrible pass protector. He's more than capable of dropping back.

It's possible he can play LT in the NFL...there's not a freak LT on every team...but...yeah I have no after-but. I was the same with Long...there's tons of guys who don't fit the typical LT profile...Diehl did well there for the Giants for a while...Penn on Tampa...Long...hell, IIRC Shaun Andrews played LT for a game this year and did alright...Backus...whoever is playing LT for the Steelers...

Mr.Regular
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
I was really skeptical of Carimi before the year... thought he was a product of the hype. But, I'm with you BBD, the more I see of him, the more I love.
He's big, physical, get's tot he second level, and had a surprisingly good year pass blocking.

I want him for the Packers bad... Bulaga/Carimi can be the new Clifton/Tauscher

AntoinCD
01-07-2011, 07:19 AM
I love Carimi. Probably my #2 OT in the draft after Sherrod. He would look sexy as hell across from Vollmer for the Patriots

killxswitch
01-07-2011, 09:53 AM
No guys go back to thinking he's too slow. No hype for Carimi! The Colts need to get away from finesse bitches on the OL and Carimi has been my hearts desire for months.

killxswitch
01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Apparently he is killing it at the Senior Bowl.

Babylon
01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Apparently he is killing it at the Senior Bowl.

I think what you see with him is what you get, a big mauler type that can handle most 4-3 DEs. Where he will probably have trouple is with the Matthews and Freeneys of the world but it's like knocking an NBAer because he cant guard Kobe Bryant.

killxswitch
01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I think what you see with him is what you get, a big mauler type that can handle most 4-3 DEs. Where he will probably have trouple is with the Matthews and Freeneys of the world but it's like knocking an NBAer because he cant guard Kobe Bryant.

Yeah. Having protection problems against All-Pro NFL pass rushers isn't really a negative, it's just reality. I think that's a good point. "Struggles with speed rushers" can mean a lot of different things.

Babylon
01-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah. Having protection problems against All-Pro NFL pass rushers isn't really a negative, it's just reality. I think that's a good point. "Struggles with speed rushers" can mean a lot of different things.

I wouldnt be worried about it, i remember the whole "Gholston destroyed Jake Long" talk. How's that thing working out.

Carimi has had the luxury of facing several top DEs in his conferance from Clayborn to Heyward to Kerrigan to his own guy in practice, Watt. Battle tested.

killxswitch
01-25-2011, 02:11 PM
My biggest concern is that some team takes him before the 22nd pick. Hopefully they're all too busy with QBs, WRs, DBs, and DLmen.

TACKLE
01-25-2011, 02:16 PM
My biggest concern is that some team takes him before the 22nd pick. Hopefully they're all too busy with QBs, WRs, DBs, and DLmen.

Don't worry. He's not finesse enough for you guys. ;) (but really)

If I had to guess, I'd say he gets snatched up by KC one pick before yours though obviously there's a chance he'll be there at 22.

Day One Pick
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Really to me the only legitimate knock on him is injury history in both knees. I've considered him a top 20 talent from day one. From a talent standpoint I'd take him in the top 10. Then you factor in some risk because of the knees and I see a player worth every bit of a 20-25 selection.

bigbluedefense
01-25-2011, 02:27 PM
It's not too late to get on the bandwagon boys and girls.

I hope he doesn't do too good. I want him to be there for the Giants at 19.

ElectricEye
01-25-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm impressed. I haven't seen him get beat once. I wish Nate Solder would hang out with him and take some nastiness lessons. You don't hear it associated with tackle too often, but Carimi has a high motor. You can tell he's a guy who liked slapping heads around. I'm still not sure he's a LT in the NFL because he really doesn't look very natural doing the arch in pass protection, but he's so good with that initial punch and guarding against guys getting their hands under him that it really doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot.

bigbluedefense
01-25-2011, 02:35 PM
If David Diehl can play LT with no ability to punch and stone feet, I'm sure Gabe would do fine with what he has.

I just want an oline of

LT: Carimi
LG: Diehl
C: ? Drafted preferably
RG: Snee
RT: McKenzie

That is one bad ass group of run blockers.

killxswitch
01-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Screw you and the Giants! Don't you guys have another DE to draft or something? Carimi belongs in Indy.

AntoinCD
01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Carimi is a stud pure and simple but I still think he will go after Solder who will be overdrafted based on measureables and Sherrod who I have slightly above Carimi. I don't see him lasting past the early 20s.

Hines
01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Carimi will be a Steeler!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxxxx
01-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Screw you and the Giants! Don't you guys have another DE to draft or something? Carimi belongs in Indy.

You better hope the colts trade up or down. #22 is cursed. The cowboys have had it a few times.

I think there was a stat where there has never even been a solid starter from #22 ever.

it sucks.

scottyboy
01-26-2011, 09:42 AM

i actually laughed at this haha

and no! he should be a Giant!
and now that i said this, he probably won't be :(

Sniper
01-26-2011, 10:15 AM
believe he came to Michigan as a center.

No, he didn't.

I'd LOVE for the Eagles to land Carimi. He fits the Reid mold.

yourfavestoner
01-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Everybody at the bottom half of the draft can kiss him goodbye. He's going top 15.

killxswitch
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Shut up YFS!

yourfavestoner
01-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Shut up YFS!

I'm just as sad about it as you.

killxswitch
01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
I am going to stick with the idea that the top 20 picks will go after QBs, DEs, DTs, WRs, and DBs. Realistic or not.

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
From what I just read the New England Patriots have taken a keen interest with him even talked with him at length. When asked about what the Patriots talked to him about they told him "not to talk about it".

I have a feeling that if he's there at #17 that he's going to be a Patriot. I just have a feeling about that especially with the amount of rushbackers in this draft.

bored of education
01-26-2011, 11:36 AM
From what I just read the New England Patriots have taken a keen interest with him even talked with him at length. When asked about what the Patriots talked to him about they told him "not to talk about it".

I have a feeling that if he's there at #17 that he's going to be a Patriot. I just have a feeling about that especially with the amount of rushbackers in this draft.

I was just gonna type this in my overreaction to a team talking to a player post of the day! DAMN YOU DIAB!

killxswitch
01-26-2011, 11:38 AM
You guys are making me feel dead inside.

Ok, who are the guys likely to go before him?

- Patrick Peterson
- Nick Fairley
- Jake Locker... right?
- DaQuan Bowers
- Robert Quinn
- Marcel Dareus
- Prince Amukamara
- AJ Green
- Julio Jones
- Blaine Gabbert
- Ryan Mallet
- Cam Newton
- Cameron Jordan
- Cameron Heyward

Who else?

ellsy82
01-26-2011, 11:42 AM

- Patrick Peterson
- Nick Fairley
- Jake Locker... right?
- DaQuan Bowers
- Robert Quinn
- Marcel Dareus
- Prince Amukamara
- AJ Green
- Julio Jones
- Blaine Gabbert
- Ryan Mallet
- Cam Newton
- Cameron Jordan
- Cameron Heyward

Who else?

Sherrod or Carimi...whomever you consider the best tackle available.

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM

- Patrick Peterson
- Nick Fairley
- Jake Locker... right?
- DaQuan Bowers
- Robert Quinn
- Marcel Dareus
- Prince Amukamara
- AJ Green
- Julio Jones
- Blaine Gabbert
- Ryan Mallet
- Cam Newton
- Cameron Jordan
- Cameron Heyward

Who else?

Cameron Heyward will probably fall into the 2nd due to an injury that will have kept him out of the Senior Bowl and the combine.
It's also iffy to see which QB's will go ahead of him. I could actually see only two QB's going before him which will probably be Locker and Gabbert. Von Miller will also go before him and Derek Sherrod will quite possibly go before him depending on what teams look for in a LT.

umphrey
04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Some interesting excerpts from a Q&A from JSOnline by Dave Heller (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/119665769.html)

Q. I read you're a karate black belt. Do you still practice? And has it helped you on the football field?
I haven’t practiced in a studio since my sophomore year in high school, but it definitely helped me with flexibility. It was key for me to keep on stretching when I was younger because now it is easy for me. If you stretch when you’re younger you have a better chance of being flexible when you’re older. From a personal experience I believe that. I think I’d be pretty stiff without it. Also, I think it helped me with my coordination with my hands, so I have pretty good hand placement because I was constantly using punching bags and stuff like that when I was younger. I definitely think it has helped me and laid a great foundation early one in terms of discipline.

Q. What's your best NFL playing weight going to be?
I played at 325 at Wisconsin and I’m at 315 now. I like how I feel at 315 – I want to be as solid and lean as possible. I’ll have to work with my new strength and conditioning coach and they’ll let me know what weight they want me at.

Q. Which is the real Gabe? Some writers say that on the field you have a nasty streak, and are a thug (in a good way). But I read that off the field you grew your hair for 2 years, and donated it to Locks of Love.
(laughs) I’d say both are the real me. I am totally different person when I’m on the field. I play with a nasty streak. I’m not a guy who will be laughing and joking around. I take my job very seriously when I’m playing football, but as soon as I’m off the field I’ll be the first one to come say hi to you. This is part of the reason why I love football so much. You can be completely nice and gentlemanly off the field, but on the field it is a grimy sport and you have to be tough and physical. I’ve always been good at flipping the switch.

cunningham06
04-12-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm on the Carimi bandwagon as well. Although many have Castonzo rated higher, I just can't say that he's as impressive as Carimi when you put on the tape. Carimi's ability to anchor, engulf defensive linemen, and his strong initial punch really stand out from other prospects. I don't get where the questions about his mean streak are coming from because he displayed it quite a few times last season.

scottyboy
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
I LOVE carimi. I'm a fan of castonzo but damn Id love carimi to the giants at19

SenorGato
04-12-2011, 02:07 PM
What do you guys think it is that has so many people just personally leaning forwards Carimi amongst the tackle prospects? Is he just a likable guy?

Iamcanadian
04-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Carimi is an impressive RT prospect but LT's get drafted ahead of RT's so Carimi will go later in round 1. Sure, you can play him at LT, but there he would be just average at best while at RT he can be a star.

ChiefMojo
04-19-2011, 05:20 PM
There is a lot of mocks having the Chiefs taking Gabe at #21. I like the pick as a RT opposite of Branden Albert.

Sure there is a need for NT (Taylor) or OLB (Ayers) as well but I think taking Gabe at that spot would be a very safe pick for the Chiefs.

On top of that the Chiefs ran the ball a lot this past season. The word is the Chiefs could possibly run the ball even more next season. Adding a beast run-blocker could be a major plus in that department.

Iamcanadian
04-19-2011, 06:59 PM

I think you can say that as a RT, he has All Pro potential, as a LT, his feet aren't quick enough to put him at that level. He would be a very average LT with his skill set. So teams are realistically looking at him to play the right side and that means he will be drafted behind the real LT prospects with a higher upside on the left side.
He is still a very solid RT prospect and will be drafted anywhere from about #18 on. Some team will put him at RT and not have to worry for another dozen years.