PDA

View Full Version : Chimdi Chekwa Injury

MURPHMAN
01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Hard to get a lot of information but it appears the wrist injury suffered in the Sugar Bowl was a dislocation and surgery is scheduled (or has already been done).

I had him as an early 3rd rounder maybe slipping to the 4th before the injury. I guess the combine is out of the question. Pro day workout is still in play. Any chance he drops lower than an early 4th? Have any OSU fans heard anything in the past day or two about how serious the injury is?

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 09:27 AM
how long do broken or dislocated wrists take to heal? Can't be that long. It's not like he hurt his legs either so he could probably run before the thing if fully healed.

xxxxxxxx
01-06-2011, 10:17 AM
how long do broken or dislocated wrists take to heal? Can't be that long. It's not like he hurt his legs either so he could probably run before the thing if fully healed.

Not necessarily. Even if he is doing leg workouts, he wont be able to hold the bar, so he can't really train.

And, go get a serious upper body injury and try to run full speed with it... you can't. It hurts like hell from the stress and vibration going through your body. The pain of him pumping his arms while sprinting would probably be unbarrable.

Sucks for the kid, I liked him as a sleeper.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I know you can't even run with a broken arm or wrist or anything like that, but he can run before he can start lifting again I would imagine. I mean it's like a 2 month injury isn't it? He should be able to work out before the draft.

brasho
01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Not necessarily. Even if he is doing leg workouts, he wont be able to hold the bar, so he can't really train.

And, go get a serious upper body injury and try to run full speed with it... you can't. It hurts like hell from the stress and vibration going through your body. The pain of him pumping his arms while sprinting would probably be unbarrable.

Sucks for the kid, I liked him as a sleeper.

There are tons of leg, sprinting, and agilty workouts a guy can do without a bar. It isn't ideal as squats, cleans, power and hang cleans, and stiff legged and regular deadlifts would be out of the question... but he should have ZERO problem doing the plyometric workouts that these guys focus on so heavily before testing. As long as his cast his off his writst in time to run and do the agilities, he should be able to do everything but bench... though most CBs skip the bench anyways. He could choose not to do ball drills or he could do them and let teams know he isn't going to catch ball at that time.

The combine's in 2 months, he should be able to go if he chooses.

keylime_5
01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
apparently Chekwa will miss the combine, though I think he might be able to work out before the draft but I'm not sure. Luckily for Chekwa he has a lot of game tape because he is a 3 year starter and has been at least the #3 corner on Ohio State for all four years, and was defensive player of the week as a freshman after having a good game against Purdue that year.

Chimdi is also the anchor on the Ohio State 4x100 track team so there is no question about his speed at all.

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 01:12 PM
He runs the 4x100?

I didn't know he was fast like that.

Master Exploder
01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
A wrist injury should not hold him back from doing any sort of leg workouts or running. He can even do modified versions of a squat workout. I broke my arm a few years ago and I still managed to do a normal squat workout while I was still wearing my cast.

I just don't see how this would hold him back from the combine or anything like that.

DaBrowns41
01-22-2011, 06:21 PM
He was a 5th round pick at the max anyway. But this sure doesn't help him.

TheRoo
01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
He was a 5th round pick at the max anyway

LOL False.