PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Andrew Luck will remain at Stanford for Senior year.

Pages : [1] 2

HawkeyeFan
01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/timkawakami

Wow: Jon Wilner reports that Stanford is about to announce that Andrew Luck will STAY at school for 2011 season.

Wow... That's all I have to say.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Sorry Panthers fans...

Darn.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Stanford kids aren't so smart after all.

Miaoww
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
And the hopes of Panthers nation are crushed.

Morton
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
And the hopes of Panthers nation are crushed.

But they can still get Da'Quan Bowers! He's the next Julius Peppers!

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
********.....the consensus #1 pick, why the hell would you stay. you can always finish your degree after football.

this is even dumber than locker staying (that worked out real well)

Xiomera
This is insanely stupid.

Why does a person go to college? The answer? To put oneself in a position to make a lot of money one day.

Well the NFL is calling and you just hung up the phone on 50 million dollars. Enjoy next year when you'll be lucky to make 15 million when a rookie pay scale goes into effect. Or maybe your arm will simply fall off and you get nothing.

Hurricanes25
This is not shocking news but a little but surprising. I guess he really wants to get that degree sooner rather than later.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
FML

i knew this was going to happen

HawkeyeFan
Maybe it's a sign that Jim Harbaugh will stay one more year, and they could finish what they started?

gpngc
This is insanely stupid.

Why does a person go to college? The answer? To put oneself in a position to make a lot of money one day.

Well the NFL is calling and you just hung up the phone on 50 million dollars. Enjoy next year when you'll be lucky to make 15 million when a rookie pay scale goes into effect. Or maybe your arm will simply fall off and you get nothing.

It's also just a leeeeeeetul fun.

FuzzyGopher
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
It would make more sense if Harbaugh was going to stay....but now that it looks like he's not, this is puzzling. Hope he is ready to be picked apart by scouts next year.

Morton
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
It's also just a leeeeeeetul fun.

Yeah, it's also fun to have millions of dollars in the bank.

Where's all that fun going to get him if he suffers a career-ending injury playing college ball next year and then misses the chance to be drafted?

Forenci
Luck is returning for his junior season, btw.

Still, pretty interesting if it's accurate.

scpanther22
Jimmy Clausen rejoice!!!

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
lol yeah hes got TWO years to graduate.

btw this just in:

Jimmy Clausen is holding a party tonight

TACKLE
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Wow! Even with the speculation, I did not see this coming at all. Still have to wait and see if its accurate.

I have a feeling this has more to do with the uncertainty of the CBA than it does about school work.

wordofi
01-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't know who is advising him, but they are flat out dumb. Why would you risk millions of dollars when you can get injured and wind up with nothing? He gains nothing by going back to school next year.

Thecollegedropout
As the Jimmy Clausen fan on this website........

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSS

prock
What a ****** idiot.

SchizophrenicBatman
i dont want gabbert. dude panics under pressure more than clausen if thats even possible

Nalej
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I can't see him staying if Harbaugh leaves. So I'd wait until the deadline before believing anything

diabsoule
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe it's a sign that Jim Harbaugh will stay one more year, and they could finish what they started?

Agreed that it's a sign that Harbaugh will stay but I doubt Stanford will be in the national title picture next year. Most of their starting OL were seniors.

Basileus777
01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't know who is advising him, but they are flat out dumb. Why would you risk millions of dollars when you can get injured and wind up with nothing? He gains nothing by going back to school next year.

He's not risking Bradford money or anything, the first overall pick isn't getting that kind of crazy guaranteed money anymore.

Giantsfan1080
I love Luck but this is just a terrible idea. There is not one good reason to stay.

SchizophrenicBatman
he wouldnt announce now if he was worried about harbaugh leaving

i dont know what hes thinking. he's losing half his offensive line and a lot of his targets. what would matt leinart say?

ShutDwn
this is like a swift kick to the nuts

Shiver
It may not be a wise decision financially, but this helps his long term prospects as a successful Quarterback big time. Quarterbacks with that little experience have lousy success rates in the NFL.

Miaoww

Well his redshirt junior year...

P-L
Harbaugh is going to Miami (the Dolphins that is). Expect an announcement as soon as they interview a minority candidate.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
This...is...Awesome

FuzzyGopher
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Except a college degree. He isn't risking that much, even if he has a down year and his stock falls with a rookie cap likely in place he won't be missing out on a ton of money. He also will probably take out an insurance policy with Lloyd's of London in case of injury. A major injury didn't stop Bradford from going number 1.

Good for him for putting his education ahead of the NFL, it's rare that someone would do that.

Bald_81
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Definitely interesting. Luck might regret staying another year because he could potentially enter the daaaaanngerrr zoooonneee!

ThePudge
ESPN's got the story. It's confirmed. Absolutely idiotic. Don't know what he's thinking... he could have finished his education after his NFL years. Makes no sense to me.

I guess I'm going to have to go on with Cameron Newton ranked atop my QB rankings. This QB class is suddenly a whole lot riskier.

K Train
He's not risking Bradford money or anything, the first overall pick isn't getting that kind of crazy guaranteed money anymore.

they probably will....but it wont be able to go any higher like it has been every year, but i would imagine the max salary would be fairly close to whats been given out the last 3-4 years for the #1 pick

detroit4life
01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
just wow... not only is he losing out on his last chance to get a ******** rookie contract before a rookie scale, his head coach is going to be gone, and has anyone looked at that starting offense this year?

3 senior olinemen starters
2 senior wr starters

this team is turning over on offense and he is going to feel a lot more pressure all next year while losing a lot of weapons.

Horrible decision IMO, also worth noting is that carolina is a pretty good set up for luck with a lot of young wr's and steve smith and a good running game

Morton
This actually makes me like him even more, though.

It takes tremendous character to resist the temptation of the NFL and its millions of dollars to complete a college career and try to take your school to a national championship.

He's going to be one of the best QBs ever when he finally does make it into the NFL.

K Train
Harbaugh is going to Miami (the Dolphins that is). Expect an announcement as soon as they interview a minority candidate.

someone posted this same exact thing about him taking the michigan job last week lol....i guess its between the phins and 9ers right?

SchizophrenicBatman
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
It may not be a wise decision financially, but this helps his long term prospects as a successful Quarterback big time. Quarterbacks with that little experience have lousy success rates in the NFL.

2 years as a starter like matt ryan?

bearsfan_51
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
People who hate on college kids for making a personal choice are some of the lowest people in the world.

xxxxxxxx
01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Damn, this hurts the cowboys, and any team that doesn't need a QB.

Your consensus #1... what a ***.

Miaoww
As the Jimmy Clausen fan on this website........

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSS

I think he was going to start next year anyway - but yeah, he has a big chance to prove his doubters wrong now.

TACKLE
just wow... not only is he losing out on his last chance to get a ******** rookie contract before a rookie scale, his head coach is going to be gone, and has anyone looked at that starting offense this year?

Nobody was going to sign there draft picks until the rookie scale was in place, even if it wasn't in place at the time of the draft.

K Train
2 years as a starter like matt ryan?
roethlisberger was an underclassman too...at a smaller school.

Complex
01-06-2011, 01:49 PM
YES! YES! YES! The titans are gonna suck next with Kerry Collins at QB, if we play our cards right and not draft a QB this year. Andrew Luck will be a Titan oh yeah

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
People who hate on college kids for making a personal choice are some of the lowest people in the world.

lowest people in the world? lmao

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I hope Stanford hires a coach who runs the spread option like Rich Rodriguez or Gus Malzahn after Harbaugh leaves. Hahaha.

NotRickJames
Somewhere Jimmy Clausen is crying tears of joy......while Panthers fans are mourning.

FuzzyGopher

Exactly. The kid wants to go back to school and finish what he started by getting a degree. Good for him, that takes balls to do and shows he is making his own decisions and not listening to agents and scouts. He should be applauded for going back and not chasing the money, not ridiculed.

DeathbyStat
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
********.....the consensus #1 pick, why the hell would you stay. you can always finish your degree after football.

this is even dumber than locker staying (that worked out real well)

I couldn't agree more

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
btw, who the hell is Carolina gonna take if Luck stays? Bowers? Not the best DE prospect in this draft even though he'll almost for sure get drafted before Quinn. Green? A WR #1 overall? :/ They should take Fairley imo.

TACKLE
Maybe he actually wants to play football next year opposed to risk having to take a year off and getting paid peanuts.

Babylon
Agreed that it's a sign that Harbaugh will stay but I doubt Stanford will be in the national title picture next year. Most of their starting OL were seniors.

3 seniors but their best two guys are most likely going to come back, Martin and DeCastro.

Carolina i guess could get an A.J. Green this year and Luck next year when they will most likely be right back at it.

Could this mean Harbaugh is staying because i wouldnt want to have to break in a new coach.

NotRickJames
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Ya, he announced this early in hopes of Harbaugh deciding to return. Harbaugh and Luck together next year could still make some serious noise. He can leave after next season and still be a hot commodity on the market.

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Let the great QB debate begin.

I respect Luck's decision. He most likely feels loyalty to Stanford and perhaps wants a shot at the national championship. The money will be there eventually. Luck's not up at night trying to figure out how to pay his bills or feed his family.

gator3guy
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
How much did Jimmy Clausen pay him to stay???

TACKLE
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
btw, who the hell is Carolina gonna take if Luck stays? Bowers? Not the best DE prospect in this draft even though he'll almost for sure get drafted before Quinn. Green? A WR #1 overall? :/ They should take Fairley imo.

Bowers makes sense but they invested a 1st round pick in Everrette Brown and Charles Johnson just came off a great season where he recorded double digit sacks. So its hard to say whether they would want to go the DE route.

Fairley and Green will also be option but at this point, by my money is on the guy who wears #2 for Auburn.

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
How much did Jimmy Clausen pay him to stay???

clausens family does have some serious cash dont they...hmmm

Shahin
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
i don't know why any non-panthers fan give half a ****.

A Perfect Score
01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
1) His coach is gone to the NFL
2) He's the consensus #1 overall draft pick, "Best QB Prospect in a Decade"
3) You can finish your degree later
4) What if he gets injured?
5) Stanford lost alot of experience on that offense this year

I understand its a personal choice, but damn...I dont get this one either. He had it made, I dont understand why he would jeopardize his future by going back.

descendency
01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
This is insanely stupid.

Yeah, I agree with this for this year because of the rookie salary cap coming.

That said, He's a RS Sophomore, meaning - if he has a bad year, he can come back again and have a good year.

2 bad years in a row = something is wrong with you.

king2am
01-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I love Luck but this is just a terrible idea. There is not one good reason to stay.

Playing for the Carolina Panthers in a division with the Falcons, Saints, Bucs.

That's one.

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:59 PM
i guess i dont really give a ****, it actually makes the first round alot more interesting....but i did want to see him play in the NFL next year

king2am
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Draft site?

K Train
01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Playing for the Carolina Panthers in a division with the Falcons, Saints, Bucs.

That's one.

a division that has had all 4 teams in the superbowl or NFC championship in recent memory, but at least in the playoffs and had like 5 years in a row when the last place team ended up in first place the following year.....not sure thats a good enough reason

luckyjackaubrey
01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Some how I don't think he cares much about what any of us think. He is aware of the risks, he knows he goes to a school that has limited success like he just experienced. He knows his coach is more than likely leaving. He wants to stay in school and be 21. I think whatever is coming his way futurre wise is still coming his way. He is doing the right thing and couldn't give a rat's pitoot what is being said here.

ZRO
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Folks, he has a while yet before he has to officially decide. I don't think this one's over yet.

gpngc
I don't see Bowers.

People don't know but Charles Johnson was one of the best DEs in the league during the regular season.

And they have Brown and Hardy.

Gun to my head - I think they take Newton. But Green's a possibility also. As is Fairley.

Basileus777
What if he gets injured?

Like Sam Bradford?

Luck will still be the #1 pick next year, and get pretty much the same salary as he would have gotten this year. The likelihood of a rookie salary cap has changed the circumstances, and it's not really so terrible of a decision. He's not giving up $30 million guaranteed here.

goldenbear.cal
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
What a dumbass. Jim Harbaugh is as good as gone, what the hell is the point of staying?

PossibleCabbage

Obviously somebody never double-majored in math and philosophy.

As for Luck, I honestly think a lot of guys are going to stay in school because of the labor uncertainty. There'll be a draft in April, but until a CBA is hammered out nobody is going to sign any draft picks, and there will be no minicamps, OTAs, training camp, etc. So Luck has the choice of getting drafted on April and then sitting on his hands until July and then finally meeting his new teammates in August and then getting paid much less than any #1 overall draft pick in the last decade or he can go back to school and actually play football and then go through the normal process next year.

San Diego Chicken
I can't wait for next year's Barkley vs. Luck debate. You're going to have two elite, elite QB prospects in the same draft (probably)

K Train
01-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't see Bowers.

People don't know but Charles Johnson was one of the best DEs in the league during the regular season.

And they have Brown and Hardy.

Gun to my head - I think they take Newton. But Green's a possibility also. As is Fairley.

kinda forgot about the man beast himself greg hardy. is everette brown any good?

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Folks, he has a while yet before he has to officially decide. I don't think this one's over yet.

It goes like this, Harbaugh goes to San Francisco and at the last minute Luck says he'll sit the year out if he isnt drafted by the Niners. Just a thought. Elway pulled a fast one on the Colts and Eli did it to the Chargers.

SRK85
Its his decision some people just love college, he already has money so why declare. This does not surprise me at all I figured he would stay. Now for the 1 pick is it Bowers, AJ Green, or Prince?

Cigaro
I refuse to accept this until the deadline has passed.

niel89
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
SSSPPPPPPOOOOOOGGGGGEEEEEE. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHKADJHFKAJDHFPAHFPAKSHFOANSCOPAHFOAUFHOPEI( HFOPHEFOUAEHBFPIHVNP{AEIBVPAIEHGO(AEUYHROPAYF)*OA$ HF(*YAHO*RTHOAF

I'm pretty excited. I honestly can't believe he is staying.

K Train
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Its his decision some people just love college, he already has money so why declare. This does not surprise me at all I figured he would stay. Now for the 1 pick is it Bowers, AJ Green, or Prince?

prince over peterson would be a crime imo

Miaoww
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Gun to my head, I have no earthly idea who the Panthers draft.

Giantsfan1080
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Well it's going to be fun watching him in college again next year that's for sure.

SRK85
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
prince over peterson would be a crime imo

Well whoever is the top rated CB but I can see the Panthers taking Bowers. They lacked talent at DE when Julius Peppers left.

gpngc
Yeah, it's also fun to have millions of dollars in the bank.

Where's all that fun going to get him if he suffers a career-ending injury playing college ball next year and then misses the chance to be drafted?

Quick, name every college player that has ever happened to.

OK, how many was it?

OK now divide the number of college football players EVER by that number and you'll get the chances that Andrew Luck misses the chance to be drafted next year.

And the college experience is absolutely unique and different than being filthy rich with an extremely DIFFICULT, PRESSURE-BASED, and TIME-CONSUMING JOB at age 21 or whatever.

People are overreacting because Locker stayed in school, when in fact, no one knows where Locker was really going to be drafted. McShay was the only one who said he would go high and he doesn't know anything. The "rumor" (it was probably true if you think about his decision) was that Locker was given a second round grade. In other words, he wasn't guaranteed **** last year just like he's not guaranteed **** this year. You don't all of the sudden dissolve into a BAD NFL prospect.

Luck KNOWS he's that good. He KNOWS that if he stays in school, he's got just as good a shot to go #1 as he did this year. He's willing to "risk" being picked a part a bit (still amazing, no one will care that much) or having a CAREER-ENDING INJURY (because those happen to pocket passers so much), because he enjoys college, wants a shot at a Heisman trophy (<---) and a NATIONAL TITLE (<----). Who the hell wouldn't? Money isn't everything and it's not like his family is struggling....

Bucs147

Wrong.

Teams obviously won't sign their rookies until the new CBA is in place. So if players wanted to avoid the rookie cap, they had to came out last year, not in the 2011 Draft.

Monomach
Dumb, dumb, dumb.

1. New coach, maybe new system to learn
2. A season of nitpicking = a drop because the next new, shiny QB will get all the hype
3. You can't go to college AFTER making 50 mildo guaranteed? Next year it'll be 10% of that.

Miaoww
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
kinda forgot about the man beast himself greg hardy. is everette brown any good?

....not really.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Like Sam Bradford?

Luck will still be the #1 pick next year, and get pretty much the same salary as he would have gotten this year. The likelihood of a rookie salary cap has changed the circumstances, and it's not really so terrible of a decision. He's not giving up $30 million guaranteed here.

The big money was probably not going to be there if he came out this year or next but you could argue he'll lose maybe 10 million by not coming out and if you have only so many years you could argue he'll never make that back. That also doesnt include what that money could be compounded.

And people thought only guys from the U of Wash. were dumb.

WCH
01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Why would a 21 year old man roll the dice and potentially pass up $50 Million??? He has a girlfriend at Stanford, and wants to stay near her.

Men make strange choices when pretty women are involved.

Miaoww
01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Well whoever is the top rated CB but I can see the Panthers taking Bowers. They lacked talent at DE when Julius Peppers left.

Charles Johnson > Julius Peppers.

So no, they didn't miss him at all.

Basileus777
01-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Why would a 21 year old man roll the dice and potentially pass up $50 Million???

He wasn't going to make $50 million. This years rookie class will likely be effected by the rookie scale too.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Charles Johnson > Julius Peppers.

So no, they didn't miss him at all.

You should really get negged for this.

Monomach
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Why would a 21 year old man roll the dice and potentially pass up $50 Million??? He has a girlfriend at Stanford, and wants to stay near her.

"Hey, baby. I bought you your own jet. You can come see me whenever you want."

Yeah, that might get him some play.

PossibleCabbage
01-06-2011, 02:15 PM

He's not making $50 million. He'll be lucky to get $25 million in his rookie contract. The last draft class without a wage scale was the one that happened in April 2010.

senormysterioso
The only real reason to stay is that he wanted nothing to do with the Carolina Panthers. It's hard to blame him, that franchise is in a complete state of disarray right now. The weapons that they do have on offense will likely stage a mass exodus this offseason. They're also looking for a new head coach and let's be honest, nobody is going to want that job.

I kind of feel for the kid though, it's a rock and a hard place situation for him. The media get's tired of hyping prospects for more than a year, and eventually there is always a sea change and they fall out of favor. It's especially true with quarterbacks.

bearsfan_51
You should really get negged for this.
He also questioned if Luck was an upgrade over Jimmy Clausen. I'm not sure if he's just a homer, or also knows nothing about football.

K Train
He's not going to make $50 million. This years rookie class will likely be effected by the rookie scale too.

i really do think it will be around 50 mil for the top pick though, it just wont rise 18% the following year like it has been

gpngc
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't understand how he's rolling any dice.

What is he risking?

Career-ending injuries to 21-year old pocket-passers (with great protection) simply don't happen.

Bradford still went #1 after an injury.

Sure something freaky could always happen but it's about as likely as him getting struck by lightning...

And it's not like he's TRICKING these NFL teams into thinking he's worthy of the #1 pick and now next year he's going to ride out the lie and it will ultimately expose his flaws and result in his downfall.

He's ******* good. #1 pick good. That doesn't just change overnight lol

ElectricEye
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Gabbert apparently knew what he was doing.

WCH
01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
He's not making $50 million. He'll be lucky to get $25 million in his rookie contract. The last draft class without a wage scale was the one that happened in April 2010.

I know. I was explaining the psychology to people who can't figure out what Luck is thinking.

Some talking head on ESPN has been saying for a couple days that his girlfriend is a big factor in this choice.

PossibleCabbage
01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
i really do think it will be around 50 mil for the top pick though, it just wont rise 18% the following year like it has been

Well, Bradford's contract was $50m guaranteed, $78m max. Luck may get a $50m contract as a #1 overall pick, but it's $50m max, not $50m guaranteed.

SRK85
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Why is everyone talking money, I thought Andrew Luck was rich already. His dad was Pro-QB and I thought he stated that money is not a problem. Its not like he is a poor peasant. Luck is living the good life at college and decided to stay. People just need to have patience before we see him in the pros.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I know. I was explaining the psychology to people who can't figure out what Luck is thinking.

Some talking head on ESPN has been saying for a couple days that his girlfriend is a big factor in this choice.

LOL'd

rockio42
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Spent 6 hours last night writing up a 5000+ word mock with Luck going number one, I get on after work about 10 minutes ago and see this. I'm going to cause much physical pain to Luck for this one. Jackass.

Halsey
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
When you've already got money and life is good, I can see the attraction of not wanting to take on the hectic, 80 hour a week life of being an NFL player. Yes, it's a risk, but for Luck it's less of a risk than for most guys because he's so talented and already has money. He could literally break his leg in the first game next year, miss the whole season and still be the likely #1 pick in the 2012 Draft.

yodabear
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
My brother and I have decided to read all college football news like Lou Holtz were reporting....

BREAKING NEWS
Stanford QB Andrew Luck zaba ziba zoo doo hoo, but will not return to the Ubibersity of Stanford, and will transfer to NOTRE DAME!

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
When you've already got money and life is good, I can see the attraction of not wanting to take on the hectic, 80 hour a week life of being an NFL player. Yes, it's a risk, but for Luck it's less of a risk than for most guys because he's so talented and already has money. He could literally break his leg in the first game next year, miss the whole season and still be the likely #1 pick in the 2012 Draft.

True. The thing you dont want to do is get an injury and then try to play through it and not play as well, see the irony?

scpanther22
I say we go Nick fairly.

bigbluedefense
According to Peter King (I know, I know), there will most likely be a rookie wage scale in place prior to the draft this year, so Luck isn't really running away from as much money as we think.

That is of course, if there is a rookie wage scale. If there is one, i can totally see why he would go back. Quite frankly, he should go back, he should work on his game.

But, if there is no wage scale, booooooooy was this dumb.

And lol @ the Panthers.

Cigaro
01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
According to Peter King (I know, I know), there will most likely be a rookie wage scale in place prior to the draft this year, so Luck isn't really running away from as much money as we think.

That is of course, if there is a rookie wage scale. If there is one, i can totally see why he would go back. Quite frankly, he should go back, he should work on his game.

But, if there is no wage scale, booooooooy was this dumb.

And lol @ the Panthers.

What does he need to work on? His game's already good enough for people to claim he's one of the best quarterback prospects this generation and nearly completely secure number one overall. Sounds like he's got it pretty down pat.

JoeJoeBrown
01-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I think it's dumb no matter what. All he can do wrt the draft is go backwards.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 02:29 PM
What does he need to work on? His game's already good enough for people to claim he's one of the best quarterback prospects this generation and nearly completely secure number one overall. Sounds like he's got it pretty down pat.

He needs to do a better job of looking off coverage. He sometimes stares down his guys.

Vikes99ej
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
This is bad news for me as a Vikings fan. All of the QBs in the first round will be pushed up now. Looks like CB, OT or LB for us at the 12th pick.

shylo3716
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A.J. Green #1 overall

prock
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM

This is a very, very stupid comment.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I think it's dumb no matter what. All he can do wrt the draft is go backwards.

Yes in terms of an NFL draft website.

But in real life he can:

-continue to enjoy college while getting his degree
-win a Heisman trophy
-win a National Title

Vikes99ej
01-06-2011, 02:32 PM

I would quote this a thousand times if I could. So the guy wants an education. jeez, what a piece of ****.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
This is bad news for me as a Vikings fan. All of the QBs in the first round will be pushed up now. Looks like CB, OT or LB for us at the 12th pick.

I'd say of the 4 big names remaining at least 2 will be there when you guys pick. Depending on the Senior Bowl and the Combine the whole group could slide for differant reasons.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
This is a very, very stupid comment.

Yeah, not seeing where anyone is hating anyone here. If it is viewed as a business, which it is, then it's not a good football decision most likely. More power to the kid for doing what he wants to do.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Exactly. The kid wants to go back to school and finish what he started by getting a degree. Good for him, that takes balls to do and shows he is making his own decisions and not listening to agents and scouts. He should be applauded for going back and not chasing the money, not ridiculed.

Nope. Hes a ******.

FuzzyGopher
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
He's basically a mortal lock to play in the NFL at some point. So why enter a league that is facing a lockout that would prevent him from signing a contract, working out with the team, learning the play book, and basically play football.

He can go back to Stanford, one of the best schools in the country, and get a degree in Architectural Design while continuing to work on his game. To say it's stupid to stay is ridiculous.

yodabear
01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Giving u some serious thoughts....my thougts on this decision has always went back to Matt Leinart and his situation. But good for Luck, he is no dumb, typical athlete dude. Dude seems really smart. I mean he doesn't exactly have much to work on, but he can. Come back, try to beat Oregon next year and win the title. Also win the Heisman. He has a chance to win it all possibly. U go to the NFL u go to a team that went 2-14 this season. I would think he has a better chance to win. Also he wants to graduate, so good for the dude. And I wouldn't want to play for the Panthers either.

ElectricEye

I agree. Completely ridiculous how much negativity is put towards prospects who decide to stay in school. I wonder if anyone will come in here and argue that Luck is not intellectually capable of playing quarterback in the NFL because he decided to stay like what happened with Locker at the end of last season.

bigbluedefense
In a related note, this now boosts Kevin Kolb's stock bc now a team will be more inclined to trade for his worthless ass.

niel89
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I need to go to the store for more tissues. As the possibly only Stanford fan on nfldc,

http://blog.adultrental.com/files/2009/11/jizzinmypants.jpg

FuzzyGopher
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Nope. Hes a ******.

Retards don't get into the school of engineering at ******* Stanford.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
In a related note, this now boosts Kevin Kolb's stock bc now a team will be more inclined to trade for his worthless ass.

IF the Panthers take a QB at #1, the 12-or-so teams that need QBs are in even worse shape.

If they go Green or DL, we're back where we started and Clausen gets another shot.

Either way the QB supply simply does not come close to the demand.

It's going to be an interesting offseason...

yodabear
01-06-2011, 02:43 PM
AJ Feely can be had for a large stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut.

A Perfect Score
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
AJ Feely can be had for a large stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut.

How many toppings?

WCH
With Bradford going #1 last year, and Brady showing that QBs can completely recover from blowing out a knee, I don't think that he has much reason to worry about injury affecting his draft stock.

If I were Luck, I'd be more worried about the Stanford AD doing something really stupid after Harbaugh leaves. You know, Michigan-level stupid.

JoeJoeBrown
Retards don't get into the school of engineering at ******* Stanford.

Still a dumb decision financially and risk-wise.

I hope he enjoys it and it doesn't burn him.

For good students that are smart, they can get their degree at anytime. There is only a finite window to be able to play football in.

If he'd rather spend a year of that time in college, so be it. Risk/reward-wise it is really dumb from a financial POV.

hawkeye123
01-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Luck is coming back for his JUNIOR year and people are calling him stupid?

Stanford isn't your typical school, getting a degree there will set you for life.

yodabear
01-06-2011, 02:47 PM
How many toppings?

As many as u want.

FuzzyGopher
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM

For good students that are smart, they can get their degree at anytime. There is only a finite window to be able to play football in.

If he'd rather spend a year of that time in college, so be it. Risk/reward-wise it is really dumb from a financial POV.

Money isn't everything (and this is coming from someone studying finance and going into commercial banking). He's happy at Stanford, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

J-Mike88
01-06-2011, 02:52 PM

I agree.

This proves that not all Stanford kids are smart.
And it proves that being book smart doesn't always equate to being life-smart.

Is Luck trying to tell us he's an architect by profession first, before being a professional football player? Really?

I will LMFA off if he suffers a few concussions next year or if he has some setbacks as a senior a la Matt Leinart when that idiot passed on the 2005 draft.

hawkeye123
01-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I agree.

Is Luck trying to tell us he's an architect by profession first, before being a professional football player? Really?

I will LMFA off if he suffers a few concussions next year or if he has some setbacks as a senior a la Matt Leinart when that idiot passed on the 2005 draft.

You do realize that a lot of people in the NFL end up bankrupt right?

Having a degree from Stanford to fall back on isn't exactly "stupid".

FuzzyGopher
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I agree.

Yeah, brain injuries are hilarious!

Hurricanes25
01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
It' amazing how much hate he is receiving but I guess....

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/11043/0000Leo%20haters%20gonna%20hate.jpg

Babylon
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
As many as u want.

Throw in a couple of bread sticks to make it somewhat reasonable.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
On top of getting his degree, maybe he feels he is not ready for the draft. Possibly a chance at an undefeated season or a heisman who knows.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Money isn't everything (and this is coming from someone studying finance and going into commercial banking). He's happy at Stanford, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

I said this last year when Locker decided to come back and even though he wasnt as highly ranked he wouldnt have lasted too long.

I always question it as a business decision but cant hate a kid doing what he wants to do. As i think most would agree, nobody is really hating on him here.

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Maybe I'm crazy but I find it refreshing to see a guy who isn't just motivated by money.

Luck's a good kid. I trust he's making the right decision for his life. People keep bringing up Matt Leinart, well the opposite end of the spectrum is Peyton Manning. Staying a year didn't affect him adversely.

Vox Populi
01-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Its going to be so awesome if theres a rookie wage scale this year and a lockout where none of this year's class even gets signed until a new CBA is released. Meanwhile Andrew Luck gets to actually play competitive football instead of chilling in a gym working out for 18 months without a pro contract, goes #1 overall next year and makes the same amount as this year's #1 overall pick.

If that happens, I'm so bumping this thread and laughing at everyone. If it doesn't happen, I don't really care because I'm not extremely enraged that a RS So QB is returning for his Junior year...

Babylon
01-06-2011, 03:07 PM
I wonder if he would have done it differantly if the Niners had the top pick and Harbaugh was their coach.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah, brain injuries are hilarious!

I know...

Ugh.

GB12
01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Luck is coming back for his JUNIOR year and people are calling him stupid?

Stanford isn't your typical school, getting a degree there will set you for life.
Going #1 in the NFL Draft will set you for life.

And I've had a strong feeling he didn't want to play for Carolina. I think that might be the biggest reason he's coming back. He just better hope they don't go back to back #1. Of course he could always just return for his senior year then.

king2am
01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I agree.

Va Tech fan or what?

The NFL will be waiting with open arms next year for this kid - to be in your early 20s in college comes around....once in a lifetime.

Clarkw267
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
You people are ridiculous

1. Luck comes from a family that is not in dire need of money. He doesn't need to turn pro to take care of his family.

2. Luck WILL be the #1 pick of the draft next year. He could tear his ACL in a bowl game next year, and a smart NFL GM would still take him 1st overall.

3. There is going to be a rookie scale in place prior to this draft class signing. So all of this money that he is supposedly walking away from, doesn't exist.

4. College is one of the best times of your life. Don't hate on a kid for wanting to prolong it. The kid wants to finish his degree and enjoy himself in the process.. man what an idiot...

That is all.

01-06-2011, 03:28 PM

I guess millions of dollars from the NFL doesn't set you for life?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-06-2011, 03:29 PM
If you watch Luck in his interviews, you can tell that he is smart. I'd say smarter than Alex Smith. The guy is at Stanford, a top 5 academic institution; maybe he has aspirations other than football. Why knock him for wanting a Stanford degree? Football only lasts so long, you still have the rest of your life to go after football. Good for Luck that he wants to stay in college.

tenorx
01-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I agree.

This comment is just simply ********.
Luck made his choice, and he'll go in the first round next year aswell.

Basileus777
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
I guess millions of dollars from the NFL doesn't set you for life?

Highly paid athletes go broke all the time.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
You people are ridiculous

1. Luck comes from a family that is not in dire need of money. He doesn't need to turn pro to take care of his family.

2. Luck WILL be the #1 pick of the draft next year. He could tear his ACL in a bowl game next year, and a smart NFL GM would still take him 1st overall.

3. There is going to be a rookie scale in place prior to this draft class signing. So all of this money that he is supposedly walking away from, doesn't exist.

4. College is one of the best times of your life. Don't hate on a kid for wanting to prolong it. The kid wants to finish his degree and enjoy himself in the process.. man what an idiot...

That is all.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sportsfan486
01-06-2011, 03:35 PM

$40+ guaranteed athletes with 3/4ths of a Stanford degree???

Horrible decision. That OLine is going to be much weaker next year and he's going to get sacked, his mediocre velocity and spotty deep-ball accuracy will get ripped apart, and all of a sudden he'll be Locker 2.0.

CashmoneyDrew
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't know whether to be sad or excited about this. Maybe the Titans can now get him or Barkley next year.

ElectricEye
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
$40+ guaranteed athletes with 3/4ths of a Stanford degree???

Horrible decision. That OLine is going to be much weaker next year and he's going to get sacked, his mediocre velocity and spotty deep-ball accuracy will get ripped apart, and all of a sudden he'll be Locker 2.0.

Smart GM's will look past this. Luck has proved that he's a franchise quarterback type prospect. If he puts up mediocre statistics, doesn't really matter to anyone besides fantasy football enthusiasts.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
He still has until the 15TH to Realize College is Forever The NFL is not. If you had to spend the rest of your life in a Wheel Chair you can go back to College but not the NFL. Is he going to have a Press Conference? I want to see it come straight from his mouth. If the Degree is the only reason to go back that is stupid. Stanford won't be up for a National Title Half of the Offense is gone the Coach is gone, A Heisman I don't think will be possible when he is the only good player on the Team.

GB12
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Irrelevant. They were still set for life, they were just ******* stupid and lost it all.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Smart GM's will look past this. Luck has proved that he's a franchise quarterback type prospect. If he puts up mediocre statistics, doesn't really matter to anyone besides fantasy football enthusiasts.

If hes proved that why is he not going to the Draft? He can always go back and get his Degree.

MizzouBig12
01-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Yeah, this Luck guy, staying in school just like those idiots, Peyton and Eli Manning........

ElectricEye
01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
If hes proved that why is he not going to the Draft? He can always go back and get his Degree.

Because he doesn't want to?

He enjoys college life? Enjoys his studies and wants to complete them like a normal human being instead of getting celebrity treatment? Has a nice relationship with a girl that he would prefer to sustain in it's present state?

Any number of reasons really. That type of mentality and approach to situations is part of what will make him a number one pick whenever he comes out because it legitimately translates to the football field in a lot of ways.

EvilNixon
01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I feel bad for the Panthers and their fans who got totally screwed.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Watch him see all these people that are saying he is stupid and and Declares.

Clarkw267
01-06-2011, 03:49 PM
He still has until the 15TH to Realize College is Forever The NFL is not. If you had to spend the rest of your life in a Wheel Chair you can go back to College but not the NFL. Is he going to have a Press Conference? I want to see it come straight from his mouth. If the Degree is the only reason to go back that is stupid. Stanford won't be up for a National Title Half of the Offense is gone the Coach is gone, A Heisman I don't think will be possible when he is the only good player on the Team.

This is 100% WRONG.

College is not forever. College life is a once in a lifetime experience.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
As much as he seems to love Stanford my guess is he would have come out if the Niners (and Harbaugh) had the #1 pick.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
This is 100% WRONG.

He had been in that College Life for 3 Years.

Saints-Tigers
01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Matt Ryan gets to hang onto his spot as the 3rd best QB in the division, nice!

dannyz
01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Watch Harbaugh tank with Miami and get Luck next year.

ElectricEye
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
and instantly become a UDFA prospect because no one will touch a prospect that absurdly stupid.

I wouldn't want anybody like that on my team, let alone a franchise quarterback. Anyone who takes ESPN Talking heads or people on messageboards seriously probably doesn't have a real bright NFL future anyway.

Clarkw267
01-06-2011, 03:54 PM
He had been in that College Life for 3 Years.

And he wants to extend it for another year and get his degree... What an idiot.

If anybody wants to bet that Luck won't be the 1st pick in next years draft, I'll take bets.

Like I said, he could go to the draft with a torn ACL and a smart GM will still take him 1st overall.

Contrarian
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
must be a great girl

jrdrylie
This is 100% WRONG.

No, the NFL is a once in a lifetime experience. College is forever. He can always go back to school and get his degree. As for the college life; he has lived it for the last 2 1/2 years. He gets a career ending injury next year (highly unlikely), he never plays in the NFL. But if he busts in the NFL (also unlikely), he has mllions of dollars and can finish his degree and become and engineer or architect.

49erNation85
OMG I love this news.Mostly the 49ers will have to take Locker now or wait until next year depending on who are coach is.If we don't draft a QB then bam we are doomed be in the top 3 pick .Just think guys Luck will come out at the senior bowl next season and rock the **** out of that game and become number 1 again .Also don't hate on the kid.College is a life time worth ethic and because part of you .If he leaves he will regret .It just adds more to his personal life resume a degree from Standford in the REAL WORLD is worth more then a career in the NFL .Sure the NFL is more bank money right off the bat .But the degree is just a long term deal for him.I mean really you can't play football for ever unless your dam Favre .This will insure Locker in the top 10 pick now! So proud of the kid for staying in school.

LookItsAlDavis
01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Why are some of you so angry about this? The guy probably has a much better idea of what's going on than all of you. He doesn't need the money, and he'll get the same amount when he comes out next year. He's actually showing some integrity by doing what he said he would do all along. He wanted to stay at Stanford four years and get his degree. Mort reported this over the summer from the Manning qb camp. God forbid someone wanting to finish something they started.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't know. I just found out the New's and going Crazy. I just think it is so stupid. I know he would not get a huge Contract this year but You would be getting the same amount next year. I just don't want to see anything bad happen to him but going back is a risk when you could have just taken the money and get your degree later.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
OMG I love this news.Mostly the 49ers will have to take Locker now or wait until next year depending on who are coach is.If we don't draft a QB then bam we are doomed be in the top 3 pick .Just think guys Luck will come out at the senior bowl next season and rock the **** out of that game and become number 1 again .Also don't hate on the kid.College is a life time worth ethic and because part of you .If he leaves he will regret .It just adds more to his personal life resume a degree from Standford in the REAL WORLD is worth more then a career in the NFL .Sure the NFL is more bank money right off the bat .But the degree is just a long term deal for him.I mean really you can't play football for ever unless your dam Favre .This will insure Locker in the top 10 pick now! So proud of the kid for staying in school.

Carolina taking a position player ensures Locker in the top 10, explain that one please. Locker should go 21st to be fair.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
No, the NFL is a once in a lifetime experience. College is forever. He can always go back to school and get his degree. As for the college life; he has lived it for the last 2 1/2 years. He gets a career ending injury next year (highly unlikely), he never plays in the NFL. But if he busts in the NFL (also unlikely), he has mllions of dollars and can finish his degree and become and engineer or architect.

Who wants to go back to college when they're 40, 50?

FuzzyGopher

He's going to take out an insurance policy so he's going to get millions if he gets hurt next year in college.

JPP90
Damn this kid for planning for his post-NFL life. He should know know its more important to give draftniks something to talk about this time of year. Shame on him.

This guy had all the makings of a guy going back to school. He's never going to hurt for the milions he could potentially lose. His name isn't Newton..his purpose in life isn't sports.

49erNation85
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
PEOPLE LUCK ISN'T ALL ABOUT THE DAM MONEY!!He doesn't have to worry about that.Get over that fact.JEEZ .

jrdrylie
01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
And he wants to extend it for another year and get his degree... What an idiot.

If anybody wants to bet that Luck won't be the 1st pick in next years draft, I'll take bets.

Like I said, he could go to the draft with a torn ACL and a smart GM will still take him 1st overall.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Luck isn't the 1st pick next season. Scouts are going to pick him apart, just like they did with Locker and Leinart. I'm not saying guys like Matt Barkley and Landry Jones are better, but it happens all the time. Scouts pick apart the highly rated guys.

Clarkw267
01-06-2011, 04:00 PM

He is going to get his millions regardless. You do get that right? He's going to have an insurance policy taken out on him, and unless he has a career ending injury... He's still going to be a top pick and get his.

Let's say he enters the draft and has a career ending injury in his 1st preseason game. Is that money going to make him feel better? I don't think so. The guy is making the best decision for him, and for other people to bash him for it is infantile, and just in poor taste.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Damn this kid for planning for his post-NFL life. He should know know its more important to give draftniks something to talk about this time of year. Shame on him.

This guy had all the makings of a guy going back to school. He's never going to hurt for the milions he could potentially lose. His name isn't Newton..his purpose in life isn't sports.

This. (10 chars)

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
It's not about the Money It's that why risk getting Injured in College when you could be playing in the NFL.

SolidGold
01-06-2011, 04:02 PM
The PAC 12 will be fun to watch next season...alot of good QBs...Foles, Luck, Barkley, Thomas. As a college football fan I am looking forward to that.

ElectricEye
It's not about the Money It's that why risk getting Injured in College when you could be playing in the NFL.

Personal preference does count for something you know....

Timbathia
How could he be so un-American, choosing to do what he thinks is right and best for him rather than just taking the quick cash? So hard for so many simple people to understand.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:04 PM
He is going to get his millions regardless. You do get that right? He's going to have an insurance policy taken out on him, and unless he has a career ending injury... He's still going to be a top pick and get his.

Let's say he enters the draft and has a career ending injury in his 1st preseason game. Is that money going to make him feel better? I don't think so. The guy is making the best decision for him, and for other people to bash him for it is infantile, and just in poor taste.

But at least he would have that money and be set for life while he could go back and get his degree but if he got injured in college no Money, no NFL just a Degree which he could have gotten anytime.

Forenci
01-06-2011, 04:06 PM

What does Newton have to do with this discussion? Furthermore, I'm sure you've never met Cam Newton, thus making assumptions about what is life is or isn't is wildly libelous.

I like when people take personal shots at players, despite having zero inside knowledge other than what they supposedly "hear."

Don Vito
01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Wow go out of my winter class to hear this. Not a smart decision, he has nowhere to go but down. Hopefully he stays healthy but its pretty clear that he just doesn't want to play for Carolina.

49erNation85
01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
It is still pretty dam funny a lot of you hating on his choose to stay in school lol .Let the kid be .Maybe Luck has some particular team he wants to play at close to Standford who knows so he waits another year who picks in the top 3.I wonder how long this thread is going to last until next season lol .

FuzzyGopher
How could he be so un-American, choosing to do what he thinks is right and best for him rather than just taking the quick cash? So hard for so many simple people to understand.

No way! Screw getting an engineering degree from one of the top schools in the country, a chance to win a Heisman, and play in a league that is guaranteed to have off season workouts and a season! Go take a job with a company that has an uncertain future! You'll make millions even though it really won't be as much as people are saying!

/sarcasm

Hurricanes25
But at least he would have that money and be set for life while he could go back and get his degree but if he got injured in college no Money, no NFL just a Degree which he could have gotten anytime.

Money is not an issue for Luck. How many times does this have to be said?

Forenci
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow go out of my winter class to hear this. Not a smart decision, he has nowhere to go but down. Hopefully he stays healthy but its pretty clear that he just doesn't want to play for Carolina.

Unless of course he wins a Heisman, wins a National Championship, puts up better numbers and improves some of his game while gaining valuable experience in college.

But you're right, he clearly has nothing to gain.

Clarkw267

Read carefully.

His family is very wealthy. He is not hurting for money.

He also is going to have an insurance policy on him, so if anything happens to him, he'll get paid out...It's gonna take a career ending injury to keep Luck out of the top of the draft next year.

Also you're acting like a Stanford degree is something to sneeze at. People pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to get that little diploma that he is going to receive at the end of next year.

dannyz

But Carolina will probably have the 1ST Pick next year.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Is he going to have a Press Conference? I would think someone like him and maybe the biggest Decision in Football this year he would publicly say it and not just tell the School.

JRTPlaya21
01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Good for Luck! This draft just got a whole lot more interesting. I just hope my Redskins don't find a way to muck it up.

Saints-Tigers
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
His family ain't THAT wealthy. They stayed at the same hotel as I did (they were there for the bowl game), and it wasn't really that nice lol.

PossibleCabbage
01-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Going #1 in the NFL Draft will set you for life.

Going #10 in the NFL Draft will also set you for life.

Heck, if you're not dumb with your money being drafted in the first round will set you for life.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm just so happy because it keeps the NFC South from potentially getting ridiculously hard.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Ok, seriously guys....WHO CARES!

This topic got boring 8 pages ago.

49erNation85
01-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Here is what EPSN had to say about him going back to Stanford.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Hurricanes25
01-06-2011, 04:18 PM
His family ain't THAT wealthy. They stayed at the same hotel as I did (they were there for the bowl game), and it wasn't really that nice lol.

And Jason Marquis goes to the same supermarket my family goes to. Does that make him not wealthy because I'm not?

His father was an NFL QB and currently the AD at West Va. They are pretty well off. Put that with his future degree from Stanford, Andrew is fine.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Are you his diary or maybe his best friend? You have no idea what his real reasons are.

PossibleCabbage
01-06-2011, 04:22 PM
And Jason Marquis goes to the same supermarket my family goes to. Does that make him not wealthy because I'm not?

His father was an NFL QB and currently the AD at West Va. They are pretty well off. Put that with his future degree from Stanford, Andrew is fine.

Moreover, people frequently get and stay rich by being careful with their money if not downright cheap.

The hotel that you stay in for less than a week while traveling is not like your house; buy the best stuff for the place you'll spend the vast majority of the time and if you travel, as long as it's comfortable then it's fine. You don't have to spend top dollar on absolutely everything just because you have money.

mario
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Oliver Luck also stressed -- and I asked him several times -- that the fact that his son would have ended up in Carolina had he declared early for the draft had "absolutely nothing to do with this decision." Jerry Richardson's news conference Tuesday, the Panthers' horrible 2010 season -- none of it mattered.

To hear the father tell it, the son barely even talked about the impending lockout, much less what team he would end up on. "Those external factors were just not that important to him," Luck said. "He wanted to go back to Stanford."

http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2011/01/un-lucky-day.html

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:31 PM
That is the thing that gets me upset. He did not care about what team, a Lockout only getting his degree. His father in his 5 Years in the NFL also went to Law School during offseason's and got a Law Degree.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Getting his education seems most important to Luck. He was ranked fairly high coming out of high school and he chose Stanford. The other schools he was looking at in high school were all great academic schools. There is life after football.

BlindSite
01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
The real problem here is that there's now no QB worthy of the number one pick. Realistically if Hurney hadn't traded away the 2nd this year to the Pats they'd stand a good chance of landing one of the other QBs with the 33rd overall and taking whomever they feel is worthy of the 1 overall.

Without that pick they're screwed, especially without the trade down being as attractive. Really who's going to want to give up their second and possibly more for AJ Green, Bowers or whoever else now slides into that spot.

Can't even trade for Orton with a 2nd, **** this *** earth.

Hurricanes25
01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
That is the thing that gets me upset. He did not care about what team, a Lockout only getting his degree. His father in his 5 Years in the NFL also went to Law School during offseason's and got a Law Degree.

What team are you talking about?

If you're talking about Stanford, you're dead wrong. He is going back there, isn't he?

If you're talking about Carolina, he owes nothing to that organization.

49erNation85
01-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Is still pretty fun and exciting this will effect the draft now I think.It should be a fun April ! It will be interesting to see which QB is taken off the board.it is really up in the air for all the top QB's now .Buffalo will have a shot and their QB who ever they want to take.

BSims
01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
A few things from my perspective.

First this People who hate on college kids for making a personal choice are some of the lowest people in the world.

Vikes99ej
I would quote this a thousand times if I could. So the guy wants an education. jeez, what a piece of ****.

Not only does someone post this, there are several that agree. Wouldn't the lowest person be someone that carves up a college kid? how bout beats a college kid with a pipe? how bout sets fire in their dorm room ? how bout falsely accusing them of cheating or theft? Point is there are alot of low people - someone criticizing a decision doesn't qualify.

Second, I think any criticism found here for Luck's decision is not to dismiss all the good reasons to stay. There are many valid ones. Given the entire situation, however, I believe a greater number of people would choose to enter the NFL draft if they were in his position. Luck chose not to, more power to him. Just one of many forks in the road we all face.

Finally, from a draft perspective as a Lions fan - ofcourse this irks me a lil - I'm not perfect - it means just one less player to choose from at 13! Furthermore, I wouldn't blame a Panthers fan for being irritable for days.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
What team are you talking about?

If you're talking about Stanford, you're dead wrong. He is going back there, isn't he?

If you're talking about Carolina, he owes nothing to that organization.

What? His dad did the thing I am saying he could do. His dad went to school for like 5 years while in the NFL, Andrew would only have to the rest of this year and all of next year.

PoopSandwich
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
When are people gonna learn?

Look at Locker's draft stock compared to last year.

Wait until someone really ***** up their career because they remain there for a year.

bruschis4all
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
The real problem here is that there's now no QB worthy of the number one pick. Realistically if Hurney hadn't traded away the 2nd this year to the Pats they'd stand a good chance of landing one of the other QBs with the 33rd overall and taking whomever they feel is worthy of the 1 overall.

Without that pick they're screwed, especially without the trade down being as attractive. Really who's going to want to give up their second and possibly more for AJ Green, Bowers or whoever else now slides into that spot.

Can't even trade for Orton with a 2nd, **** this *** earth.

Well, you can have that 2nd back for your first in 2012. Hell, you'll win 10 or 11 games easy. Look what TB did.

Hurricanes25
01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
What? His dad did the thing I am saying he could do. His dad went to school for like 5 years while in the NFL, Andrew would only have to the rest of this year and all of next year.

You said, "That is the thing that gets me upset. He did not care about what team, a Lockout only getting his degree."

Edit: Nevermind.....I understand what you're saying now.

And yes, he could do what his father did or he can get it done next year and then study film and the playbook during the off season.

Shiver
01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Maybe he read the news that Perry Fewell was going to be the Panthers new Head Coach... I wouldn't come out either.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:44 PM
He just better hope he does not get injured. Now what if he does really good next year then would he finally be better than Elway and Manning? Also he said that Harbaugh would have an impact on his Decision but he made it before Jim took the Miami Job could Andrew Luck change his mind in a Week?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Wait until someone really ***** up their career because they remain there for a year.

An he'll have a degree from one of the best learning institutions in the world. Oh how terrible life will be for him. Besides just because everyone and their mom thinks he is ready does not mean he thinks he is ready. There is more he can acomplish in college.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:46 PM
If he does not Come out in 2012 He then would be the Stupidest Person on the Planet then after he got his Degree.

FUNBUNCHER
01-06-2011, 04:47 PM
This decision was only dumb if it was a football-based decision.

If going back to school has nothing to do with football, then more power to him. It's his life.

BTW, watch Matt Barkley BLOW UP next season and throw for 4000 yards and 30 TDs and the Trojans win the Pac 10.

If this happens, I'll laugh my ass off until April.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 04:48 PM

When he was given a 2nd round projection by the advisory committee?

And now is going to be.... uh... no one knows? Probably high because of the demand...

How about Bradford - who physically injured himself and still went #1?

Or Leinart who wasn't near Luck ever as a prospect but still managed to go 7th overall?

Or what about Peyton Manning? Who made this very decision, was picked apart meticulously as a senior, and fought off a fast-rising Ryan Leaf to still go #1?

First of all, the first three were never considered the prospect Luck is. Ever.

He's not tricking people. He's not playing out a lie and another year is going to ultimately unmask him as a fraud. He's ******* good. #1 pick good. That doesn't just change.

BeerBaron
01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
My initial reaction was: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Because he's my favorite QB prospect since I've been following the draft. But them I thought about how he isn't going to be going to Carolina now.......just DO NOT GET HURT.

DO NOT GET HURT ANDREW. SERIOUSLY.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 04:50 PM
He just better hope he does not get injured. Now what if he does really good next year then would he finally be better than Elway and Manning? Also he said that Harbaugh would have an impact on his Decision but he made it before Jim took the Miami Job could Andrew Luck change his mind in a Week?

He better. He doesn't want to become another Sam Bradford!

wait...

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
My initial reaction was: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Because he's my favorite QB prospect since I've been following the draft. But them I thought about how he isn't going to be going to Carolina now.......just DO NOT GET HURT.

DO NOT GET HURT ANDREW. SERIOUSLY.

That is what I am saying now. But the only reason he is going back is to get a Degree. So do we all agree once he gets his Degree he is gone 210% in 2012?

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
He better. He doesn't want to become another Sam Bradford!

wait...

Getting hurt helped Bradford because I think if he played Scouts would have ripped him Apart.

Hollywood
01-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but just wanted to put in my personal opinion: Andrew Luck made a very, very poor decision here and making such a poor decision even if he stays healthy should reflect slightly on his status as an ultra-elite QB. This is a HUGE, tens of millions of dollars risk.

Peyton Manning is the ultimate exception, not the rule.

Saints-Tigers
01-06-2011, 04:57 PM

1) I don't know who Jason Marquis is

2) Buying groceries is not the equivalent to staying at a small hotel.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Getting hurt helped Bradford because I think if he played Scouts would have ripped him Apart.

OK.

So now getting hurt will HELP Luck.

So the only thing that can hurt him is if his play falls off DRAMATICALLY, and not only does he not look like the best QB of this generation, but he also somehow regresses into looking like the 2nd best QB prospect in his class.

^Why would you think this would happen?

dannyz
01-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I Pray he does not get hurt. But I think its 210% Sure he is coming out in 2012 and maybe he could pull a Peyton Manning and make everyone look stupid including me by staying and then beat out a rising Prospect in Barkley to be #1. I feel for the Panthers 2011 is a Great Draft but does not have a true #1 Talent.

Hurricanes25
01-06-2011, 05:00 PM
1) I don't know who Jason Marquis is

2) Buying groceries is not the equivalent to staying at a small hotel.

A) Starting Pitcher for the Washington Nationals.
B) I know, just trying to prove a point.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 05:03 PM
OK.

So now getting hurt will HELP Luck.

So the only thing that can hurt him is if his play falls off DRAMATICALLY, and not only does he not look like the best QB of this generation, but he also somehow regresses into looking like the 2nd best QB prospect in his class.

^Why would you think this would happen?

I never said that, I said that getting hurt helped Bradford because Scouts only had to make sure his Shoulder was Healthy because he had no game tape of 2009. Where I think Scouts would have looked into every bad thing. Like playing in a Spread which Luck Plays in a Pro Style.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but just wanted to put in my personal opinion: Andrew Luck made a very, very poor decision here and making such a poor decision even if he stays healthy should reflect slightly on his status as an ultra-elite QB. This is a HUGE, tens of millions of dollars risk.

Peyton Manning is the ultimate exception, not the rule.

To us that is a lot of money. When you have the option between 40 million now or maybe 20 million next year isn't that big of a deal. It reflects highly on his character to turn down that kind of money. There are things he can improve on while at stanford. Lets hate on a guy for getting an education though.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
First it was cool to hate on him, then for a few pages it was cool to stick up for him. Now people could care less. So Im bringin back da hate.

He sucks! What a tool!

PossibleCabbage
01-06-2011, 05:11 PM
It's interesting how little a lot of people think that a rookie wage scale is going to change things. I wouldn't be surprised that, after this is all said and done, the #1 overall pick gets a 3-4 year contract with $15-20m guaranteed.

dannyz
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Everyone stop bashing on me. I now realized I can't do anything about it. I just want to see Luck do good next year and Come out in 2012 and be the Next Peyton Manning.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
It's interesting how little a lot of people think that a rookie wage scale is going to change things. I wouldn't be surprised that, after this is all said and done, the #1 overall pick gets a 3-4 year contract with $15-20m guaranteed.

That is what it's roughly going to be.

And if for some strange reason Luck's play falls of DRAMATICALLY and he's drafted in the 7th slot or something. Which will probably be around 7-8 guaranteed.

And that's IF his stock drops to the point that 6 players in NEXT YEAR'S CLASS rise above a guy who would be drafted #1 overall if you had a draft comprised of EVERY SINGLE PROSPECT OF THE LAST 10 YEARS.

MI_Buckeye
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
To me, this taints the whole draft. I had no problem at all with guys like Peterson/Bowers/Fairley/Green as top 3-5 picks, but just none of them strike me as No. 1 overall type prospects, especially at positions that never go No. 1. If Bradford would have come back last year, there was still Ndamukong Suh and maybe even Eric Berry.

Everybody in Charlotte not named James Richard Clausen has got to be super-pissed.

RaiderNation
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this draft seems alot more weak with out Luck now? Luck would have been the by far #1 prospect the face of this deep draft class. Now whos the #1 guy? Bowers, PP, Green? Alot of different opinions.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this draft seems alot more weak with out Luck now? Luck would have been the by far #1 prospect the face of this deep draft class. Now whos the #1 guy? Bowers, PP, Green? Alot of different opinions.

The class lost its best player. Of course it's weaker.

I don't think it was all the great to begin with honestly...

shylo3716
01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Will Luck end up being the next Leinart for returning?

RaiderNation
01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Luck made his team, the players around Leinart made him. Luck should be the #1 prospect next season no doubt.

MI_Buckeye
01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

This draft seems to have 2008 written all over it. Polarizing quarterbacks and a bunch of linemen at the top. I remember people whining about how that was such a weak class, and now it is one of the best in recent memory.

As you could tell from my post above, Luck staying definitely makes the top of the board much more unnerving, but one player, no matter how elite, can not significantly alter the strength of the entire draft class long-term.

shylo3716
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Luck made his team, the players around Leinart made him. Luck should be the #1 prospect next season no doubt.

What about Matt Barkley?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Leinhart took ballroom dancing his senior year. Thats all. They're completely different prospects based on that alone.

Addict
01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
didn't we already know Luck came from a wealthy family that values education enormously? How is this such a surprise?

MI_Buckeye
01-06-2011, 05:48 PM
didn't we already know Luck came from a wealthy family that values education enormously? How is this such a surprise?

It is only a surprise, because he was one of the top rated prospects in the history of the draft. Of course we knew if he was a borderline guy like Blaine Gabbert he would be coming back.

Rabscuttle
01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure how skipping the draft furthers his education, it just speeds it up by a few years. Steve Young earned his law degree while he was playing and he wasn't the only one to do so.

Addict
01-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure how skipping the draft furthers his education, it just speeds it up by a few years. Steve Young earned his law degree while he was playing and he wasn't the only one to do so.

I distinctly recall Scott himself writing a blog article about how much value is put on education by the Luck family and how likely it is because of that that Andrew would stay in school to the end.

I honestly didn't understand all the talk as if it was a sure thing for him to come out. He's from a wealthy family so he doesn't really NEED to go to the draft for the money, so he chooses to stick around in Stanford to get his degree. I can't fault him for that. He's gonna get a big payday one way or the other anyway.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Why cant people see past the money? By not declaring he avoids the potential lockout next year. Missing a year of football will really damage his chances for pro success(where he could earn more money on his 2nd contract if he plays well). He gets another year of starting experience.

Cigaro
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Call me crazy, but don't you have to a senior to play in the Senior Bowl?