PDA

View Full Version : If Luck stays, who's the #1 overall pick?

Morton
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Simple question. If we assume that Andrew Luck will remain at Stanford next year instead of declaring for the NFL draft, who will take his place as the prohibitive favorite to be picked #1 overall?

Will it be a quarterback nevertheless, such as Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton, or even Ryan Mallett? Or will Carolina select the BPA, which would probably be either Patrick Peterson, Nick Fairley, or Da'Quan Bowers? Will they be highly likely to trade down with a team?

I think that the Panthers will pick Blaine Gabbert, or trade down with a team who will pick Blaine Gabbert. I believe that regardless of the situation, a QB is going to go #1 this year.

Incogneetus69
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I think someone will pump themselves up for Newton. Washington is a trade up candidate

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
i think its gonna be between newton/bowers/peterson/green/fairley now

newton with the most outside chance of the 5

T-RICH49
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Bowers.Gabbert is not worthy opf the 1st overall pick

Morton
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Bowers.Gabbert is not worthy opf the 1st overall pick

Todd McShay has Gabbert as his #5 overall prospect tho. Clearly Gabbert has some franchise QB potential, no?

SchizophrenicBatman
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
there is no guy to take at 1

bowers will probably be the pick since he's local. theyll try to sell tickets with it because that worked out so well last time lmao

scpanther22
01-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Panthers are only interviewing DC so far so I say..

Bowers

K Train
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
they need WR/DE/CB....i think green/bowers/peterson are all very viable options.

WR will be much much easier to take this high this year with a new deal in the works

Morton
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
AJ Green #1 overall would be interesting. I mean, he's practically a Calvin Johnson type of player, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Might make Jimmy Clausen into a real baller if he finally has an elite target.

wordofi
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I think Bowers will be the pick. It's hard to find great lineman later on in the draft. Also, games are won and lost in the trenches. Having a great pass rusher like Bowers would also allow Carolina the luxury of not having to have great cornerbacks because they wouldn't have to cover as long.

Bald_81
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
The bright side to this decision is that it's going to be much more dramatic now come draft day since the first overall pick isn't a foregone conclusion.

ThePudge
01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I think its looking like Bowers right now, but Newton/Fairley/Green will likely receive consideration.

NotRickJames
01-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Bowers, could also see Green.

No quarterback is worth the number one overall pick, and certainly not Newton.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
They should go Fairley. I think they'll go Bowers. Too bad Quinn missed the season or else he'd have a better shot than anyone to go #1.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Newton at #1 and you're asking for a complete disaster of a pick, it has to be something more certain for a franchise that needs a lot.

If you think of it in terms of a two year process you take the great WR this year and come back with Luck or Barkely next year. If you reach on a QB this year no matter who you come back with next year it isnt near as good.

Halsey
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
People say there's not a QB worth the #1 pick almost every year. People said that about Bradford last year. I still think there's a chance a QB will go #1. If not, Bowers seems like a likely pick. I don't buy into Fairley as a potential #1 pick. He only had one dominant year and DTs are historically risky picks. Gree is a possibility, but I wouldn't if I was Carolina. A star WR with no franchise QB is kind of a waste. Just ask Arizona, Miami, Denver, etc.

TheFinisher
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
This sucks for Carolina

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Does Carolina really need a DE? Charles Johnson had a great year, and Brown/Hardy are both good young prospects. Hardy seems pretty darn similar to Bowers.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Without a second Carolina needs to trade down even if the value of the pick doesnt line up. Can't Patriots fans see A.J. Green in New England.:-D

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I would go all in with Clausen for one year, and draft Green. Clearly their woes are all on the offensive side of the ball. You have to think a red zone beast like Green would help a lot.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Methinks Monday night will go a long way in answering this question.

Halsey
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Without a second Carolina needs to trade down even if the value of the pick doesnt line up. Can't Patriots fans see A.J. Green in New England.:-D

You think the Patriots are going to trade up for AJ Green? They don't even need a star WR. Why would they trade up to the #1 pick for one?

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
You think the Patriots are going to trade up for AJ Green? They don't even need a star WR. Why would they trade up to the #1 pick for one?

Arguably they dont need anything but the best WR in a few years would be very tempting.

ThePudge
01-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Newton at #1 and you're asking for a complete disaster of a pick, it has to be something more certain for a franchise that needs a lot.

If you think of it in terms of a two year process you take the great WR this year and come back with Luck or Barkely next year. If you reach on a QB this year no matter who you come back with next year it isnt near as good.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Carolina isn't a horrible landing spot for Cameron Newton and he might be able to sit behind Clausen for half the year. Their OL is decent, their running game is decent, and there's no reason to think that Cam couldn't be successful there. I agree it'd be a slight reach. Honestly though, this class really doesn't have a clear-cut #1 guy or anyone that I would deem worthy of 1st Overall money at this point. But I have to say Cameron Newton could potentially offer the most upside for that team, though I'll acknowledge that he seems to be a pretty risky 1st Overall pick.

Babylon
01-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Methinks Monday night will go a long way in answering this question.

He's still going to have a short resume and questionable character. I'm all for the pick though, let them take him.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Does Carolina really need a DE? Charles Johnson had a great year, and Brown/Hardy are both good young prospects. Hardy seems pretty darn similar to Bowers.

this is why they should go for Fairley and his insane first step quickness that got him like 11 or 12 or however many sacks this season. Would go a long way to building a dominant DLine (especially makes sense if they hire Fewell) and after Suh's success this year (10 sack rookie year) it is justified to take an elite DT prospect in the top 2. Plus Bowers is kinda overrated as a prospect. He is definitely worth a top 5 pick with his 16 sacks, but his motor is inconsistent as well and his upside isn't even as good as another DE's in this draft, Robert Quinn who is a better athlete.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Can they really use all their draft picks, though? Look at their depth/roster at the moment..

They need to consolidate at some point.

Cigaro
01-06-2011, 02:22 PM

Not overwhelmingly. If you're picking that high you generally go BPA however, so if Bowers was indeed that, I wouldn't mind.

In other news, if this is true come the deadline, I hope that literally anything that can go wrong for Andrew Luck does. Including any possible career ending injuries. He hath destroyed my soul.

scpanther22
01-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Yeah..I think we should go with Nick Fairly

Halsey
01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Can they really use all their draft picks, though? Look at their depth/roster at the moment..

It seems like people have been expecting them to use their stockpiled picks to trade up for years now. Instead they keep going with the philosophy of having and using lots of picks. I don't see why they'd change now.

this is why they should go for Fairley

Fairley is older than most other elite prospects expected to enter this Draft, has only had one year of dominant play and plays a historically risky position. He doesn't seem like #1 pick material to me.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
It seems like people have been expecting them to use their stockpiled picks to trade up for years now. Instead they keep going with the philosophy of having and using lots of picks. I don't see why they'd change now.

Fairley is older than most other elite prospects expected to enter this Draft, has only had one year of dominant play and plays a historically risky position. He doesn't seem like #1 pick material to me.

I agree.

But I'm not sure ANYONE is #1 pick material.

Green or Newton... eh, I guess. If Calvin, Andre, and Fitz couldn't go #1 (they were ******* freaks) then how could Green? I guess it's a weak draft class...

K Train
01-06-2011, 02:32 PM
calvin should have gone #1 lol

i personally like jones better than green, but green may very well be the pick.

wouldnt take fairley....only DT id ever take #1 is king suh, DTs could end up being terrible or borderline terrible so easily, such a risky pick to take that high.

fairley isnt a suh, im not sure hes even a dorsey (who i thought was a top 3 guy)

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 02:34 PM

he'll be 23 compared to bowers who'll be 21. Not a huge deal, though a very minor detail that could be a factor. both were one year wonders in college.

molenguinurtle
01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
You take Green and let Clausen know this is his shot to prove he can be your guy.

Monomach
01-06-2011, 02:57 PM
If I couldn't trade down, I'd just take Green. Either Clausen turns it on next year, and I have a QBOTF in him...or I have a #1 WR with a year of experience for my 2012 draft QB to throw to.

TACKLE
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Another year with Clausen will not result in a step forward for the Panthers. He is not a good football player and in no way has the ability to lead a franchise. If they don't sign a vet in free-agency, they need to draft someone.

Hurricanes25
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I would put my money on Green or Bowers at this time.

I doubt they go QB. I think Clausen gets another year to prove himself.

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Another year with Clausen will not result in a step forward for the Panthers. He is not a good football player and in no way has the ability to lead a franchise. If they don't sign a vet in free-agency, they need to draft someone.

I'd sign a vet and give Clausen the first half of next year. He was a true junior and what you saw this year is not a good representation of what he could possibly be. Get Jeff Otah back healthy, upgrade the WR corps, and if Clausen hasn't shown progress by mid-season next year, pull the plug and get back in the Luck sweepstakes next year.

gpngc
01-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm surprised people aren't mentioning Newton more. I really am...

Cigaro
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm surprised people aren't mentioning Newton more. I really am...

Hopefully only if Carolina has traded down.

rainbeaukid2
01-06-2011, 03:20 PM
i feel like the pick will most likely be bowers, with the feeling that he may be able to come in and be the type of defensive player that julius peppers was, someone ferocious in pass rush with long arms and a ton of athletic ability. don't get me wrong, peppers is in a class of his own, but i feel that bowers, who has had 3 productive years in college football as compared to fairley's one year, may be able to immediately come in and be a game-changing defensive player, which god knows carolina could use

TACKLE
01-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Hopefully only if Carolina has traded down.

It doesn't make sense for anyone else to trade up. I still say that Newton is the most likely pick at this point.

rainbeaukid2
01-06-2011, 03:35 PM
It doesn't make sense for anyone else to trade up. I still say that Newton is the most likely pick at this point.

exactly, for a team like carolina to trade down, someone would have to be willing to trade up and, as Luck is now out of the sweepstakes, there isn't really anyone that is a consensus number one pick that anyone should be really gunning for.

granted this could all change between now and the draft, but at least as of right now, any other team trading up doesn't seem to make much sense

Cigaro
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I expect one of the top prospects should blow up at the Combine, likely Bowers. Maybe that'll entice someone.

bruschis4all
01-06-2011, 04:14 PM

18 games and expanded rosters my friend. Pats will be more prepared for it than any other team. Shocking news!!

DcmRulz
01-06-2011, 05:23 PM
This draft class is actually really good, just with no clear cut #1. I personally think they should not go with Netwon, not just because i have a very strong feeling that Newton will bust in the pros if he goes early, but because i think their WRs not named Steve Smith are young and growing, and will need time to develop. My money is on them trading it now; or taking Fairley or Bowers if not.

RaiderNation
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Todd McShay has Gabbert as his #5 overall prospect tho. Clearly Gabbert has some franchise QB potential, no?

McShay has his head up his ass half the time. Gabbert is a late 1st round prospect as of now

Right now Id think Newton, Green or Bowers are the only options they have at 1. Or if a team falls in love with a certain QB, they could trade down.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Franchise QBs always get overdrafted. Gabbert will be a mid-first round pick at worst with his tools. I don't see how they can take a guy that raw at #1. Would be like taking Josh Freeman #1 in 2007 if Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez weren't available. I can't see any QB going #1 except Newton, and I'm not sure that's very likely with a guy as raw as he is.

Halsey
01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Franchise QBs always get overdrafted. Gabbert will be a mid-first round pick at worst with his tools. I don't see how they can take a guy that raw at #1. Would be like taking Josh Freeman #1 in 2007 if Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez weren't available. I can't see any QB going #1 except Newton, and I'm not sure that's very likely with a guy as raw as he is.

You can't overdraft a franchise QB...

jdb1972
01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
CJ's a UFA this year, Brown has been poor and injured, and Hardy's still a question mark.

Hurricanes25
01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I think Green should be the pick. By drafting Green, it gives you a much better idea whether Clauson can play or not. If Clauson is not any good, you take Luck next year (they'll probably pick #1) and they have a stud WR for him to throw to.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 06:32 PM
When's the last time a team had the #1 pick 2 years in a row? Carolina has plenty of talent, they just had and awful passing game this year and a bunch of injuries. I don't think anyone can count on them to winning the Andrew Luck sweepstakes next year if you play the odds. They obviously should just take whoever is #1 on their board, and I think AJ Green has as good a chance as any to be that guy. WRs don't go #1 very often, but Calvin Johnson probably would've in 2007 if Russell wasn't available, and Green is being called the best since Johnson.

Bobertchin
01-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I think it will be either Green or Fairley, and I honestly don't know which they should pick. They might go with Green, thinking that he could play right away and give them an indicator of whether Clausen might turn things around. I'm not a Clausen fan (never have been), but they do need to make a decision on QB. I don't think any of the other QB prospects are worth that pick, and I don't see anyone trading up for that slot now, either. All the players in the top 5 or so are pretty equal, IMO.

PossumBoy9
01-06-2011, 07:03 PM
You take Green and let Clausen know this is his shot to prove he can be your guy.

I agree. If Clausen flops, the Panthers could have Luck throwing to Green in '12.

Whether it's Green or not, the Panthers need to go BPA....and not QB, IMO.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Don't see how they could go with Bowers after spending picks to get everette brown, greg hardy has a lot of potential, and had a guy with double digit sacks. They would be better off taking Fairley if they go d-line.

wogitalia
01-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't think they go QB. Realistically after Luck all of the QBs in this draft have flaws similar to Clausen and really are only slightly better prospects than he was, one bad year in a horrible situation is not enough reason to not get a more sure thing at another position than taking a punt on a QB.

I think who the HC is will probably play a big part in who they take. A defensive minded coach is probably going to look in that direction. Offensive may want to take a #1 to put with Clausen and really find out what they have there and whether they need to address QB next year.

LonghornsLegend
01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't think you can take AJ Green #1 honestly. a DE is just far more important and I think Bowers impact would be much bigger. Now if you think your getting a Calvin Johnson type of WR who can score 15 TD's with a scrub at QB then sure take him, but AJ really doesn't have the size or frame Calvin did.

AJ would have to be a solid 215, and run a 4.3 as well as tear up the combine to justify going #1 overall.

PossibleCabbage
01-07-2011, 01:12 AM
It wouldn't be totally outside the realm of possibility that Carolina trades #1 overall for $.75 on the dollar to a team with a high pick who is desperate for a QB. Say, move down 5-10ish spots for 2nd and a player.

BlindSite
01-07-2011, 03:04 AM
The only way they get offers for the first overall is if a team covets a player that they suspect will be taken 2nd overall. I can't think of any who fit the bill.

Detroit doesn't need a DT, QB or WR they're likely to take a CB or at worst a DE, and there's not exactly a lack of talent at those positions that will be there three or four picks later.

roscoesdad27
01-07-2011, 04:19 AM
The contenders, in no particualr order

1) Cam Newton... Big bowl game followed by a big combine and a good wonderlic score could get him here. A winner that will pump a lot of confidence into the franchise.

2) A.J. Green....Legit #1 reciever...doesn't quite have the elite measuarables as moss and johnson (who does?) but he runs better routes than either and like some other posters has said he would be a great way to gauge clausen.

3) N. Fairly.... What's his weight???? I've seen 295, 305, 310 and 315. He looks pretty sleak to me thou but he does have a long frame so I'm guessing 300-305 right now....no he's not better than suh, if suh was in this class hed be the hands down no brainer pick here.

4) D. Bowers... The best 4-3 L.E. Prospect ever? I know johnson had double digit sacks but everette brown needs upgraded and would be better coming in on nickel/dime packages. Bowers and johnson would start with bowers at L.E. and with hardy being the main rotational guy in base packages. When in the nickel/dime packages brown would come in at r.e. with johnson moving to l.e. and bowers inside to u.t. ala justin tuck. Tuck had a potential dpoty type season playing this role and bowers is a rich mans justin tuck to me.

The most wide open/toughest choice for #1 that I can remember

ChefMike
01-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Looks like it will be another Steve Emtman year... where it could be so random and plenty of talent just no clear cut #1...

Could be a situation where the CBA issues drives down the price of the #1 pick and it could get traded someplace to say NE being that hold 2 #1's and I think 2 #2's???

Black Bolt
01-07-2011, 07:54 AM
I agree.

But I'm not sure ANYONE is #1 pick material.

Green or Newton... eh, I guess. If Calvin, Andre, and Fitz couldn't go #1 (they were ******* freaks) then how could Green? I guess it's a weak draft class...

I said this coming into this college season and people wanted to argue with me. It's a weak draft overall. Positions like WR are one round deep.

ChefMike
01-07-2011, 08:13 AM
I said this coming into this college season and people wanted to argue with me. It's a weak draft overall. Positions like WR are one round deep.

Is it really that weak or is it just the teams at the TOP aren't in need of what's considered the TOP talent? If a team like Tennessee was at the TOP spot and AJ Green was there were not so many holes at QB with the TOP 10 teams in the draft this year... it wouldn't look like such a barren waste land of talent..

Day One Pick
01-07-2011, 08:14 AM
DaQuan Bowers or maybe Nick Fairly...has to be one of them. My money is on Bowers though.

Miaoww
01-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I'd be pissed if they took a DE with the #1 pick.

Gary
01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
One statistic I read said that teams who draft an offensive lineman early improve in wins the next season. Probably it's the left side of the line that protects the QB, since the NFL is a passing league.

Scotty D
01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
I want to watch him again on Monday but I'm leaning towards Fairley for Carolina. With no rookie wage scale I'd probably have Fairley, Newton, Green, Mallett as my top four. Anyone remember the ND-LSU bowl game where Russell locked up the #1 pick? I think that Newton could do that on Monday.

scottyboy
01-07-2011, 08:55 AM

i actually agree with this. Go with Green. If Clausen can't do anything with Green and Smith, a decent OL and a pretty nice running game, he's not the answer and you move onto to maybe Luck/Barkley next year.

Morton
01-07-2011, 08:55 AM
A sound argument for picking Green #1 overall:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Where-do-the-Panthers-go-from-here.html

I agree with him in that by picking Green, they give Clausen the best possibility opportunity to prove that he is a franchise QB next year.

BlindSite
01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
If I were GM, faced with no other choice, I'm contacting Denver, offering them a fourth for Orton, they turn it down, try washington for McNabb, take Green, keep Clausen as the back up, go after VY once he's released to be the third QB and entrench McNabb as the starter for at least 2011.

If the QB coach / offensive assistants see no clear progression from either Young or Clausen find a way to draft one of the top QBs in the next draft, cut your losses with Clausen and Young and develop whomever you draft for a year behind McNabb.

You get Orton keep Clausen around as back up / developmental prospect and see where you get to with Orton.

Right now no Luck really ***** Carolina on the QB front, so their only option is to make the offense as attractive and as easy as possible for whoever is under centre and be aggressive with finding options.

The defense is at least good enough with the talent they have (when healthy) to be good, not great, but top half of the league for sure (possibly sneaking into the top 10). This all hinges on who gets hired and their systems but the defense is no where near in need of an upgrade when you look at the QB position.

Cigaro
01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
To hell with all these plans to get the Panthers a quarterback. Start Jimmy Clausen the entire season. He'll either;

A- Be completely horrible, cause us to once again to be in serious contention for Luck/Barkley, which it will be proven that we need.
B- Somehow become the guy we thought he was, and then no need to draft Luck/Barkley.

All signing a quarterback will do is convince the front office to continue on with the Clausen 'experiment' unless a star QB lands in our lap at draft time.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-07-2011, 04:36 PM
i dont want some retread like orton/mcrib/vince young

and PLEASE, PLEASE NO KOLB

either find a guy in the draft worth taking or screw around with clausen/moore/whoever next year

BlindSite
01-07-2011, 05:35 PM
i dont want some retread like orton/mcrib/vince young

and PLEASE, PLEASE NO KOLB

either find a guy in the draft worth taking or screw around with clausen/moore/whoever next year

Orton is 28, McNabb would only be a stop gap Moore is a free agent and I doubt he'll be back. Clausen isn't worth screwing around with as a starter, he might be salvagable but he needs to sit for a year and have his mechanics adjusted.

keylime_5
01-07-2011, 05:38 PM
28 isn't that old for a starting QB these days. He still has at least 7 or 8 more years in the league. I think Orton is a great starting QB fit for a team looking to fix their signal caller woes, but not a franchise QB.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-07-2011, 05:49 PM
orton is one of those guys you get sucked into sticking with when he isn't good enough. i dont want any part of that. i think his true talent level is somewhere in between his bears numbers and his mcdaniels numbers and I can see the panthers FO being happy with that and keeping him for 5+ years

i highly suspect mcnabb is either finished, or close to it

i agree with you on clausen but i mean, why even keep him them? just cut him. moore might be gone but I could see him being brought back too depending on what they do in the offseason. he's probably not going to demand a huge contract and he seems like one of those guys who is content to be a back up

nepg
01-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't think the Panthers will be making the pick. I have Arizona, Cincy, and Buffalo taking a QB (Newton, Mallett, Locker - no particular order). We could see one or more of those teams trade with Carolina and Denver to get in a position to get the one they want.

Blaine Gabbert made himself a bunch of money, though. There are so many teams after those 3 that will be wanting a QB, and Gabbert's the only other guy with the franchise QB credentials you look for in the first round.

regoob2
01-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't think the Panthers will be making the pick. I have Arizona, Cincy, and Buffalo taking a QB (Newton, Mallett, Locker - no particular order). We could see one or more of those teams trade with Carolina and Denver to get in a position to get the one they want.

Blaine Gabbert made himself a bunch of money, though. There are so many teams after those 3 that will be wanting a QB, and Gabbert's the only other guy with the franchise QB credentials you look for in the first round.
No team is going to pay the price to do that. They'd likely want a 1st and 2nd if not more.

I think either Fairley or Green will be the pick.

nepg
01-08-2011, 10:28 AM
No team is going to pay the price to do that. They'd likely want a 1st and 2nd if not more.

I think either Fairley or Green will be the pick.
It's not a steep price. It's a couple picks (staying within the Top 5), and Carolina would be more than willing to oblige considering the contract involved with that pick. It's not like they're trading Andrew Luck at this point... It's someone who either wants to get ahead of Denver or someone who wants to make sure they get the QB they want.

bigbluedefense
01-08-2011, 10:30 AM
If Patrick Peterson times well, I'd probably take Peterson.

BlindSite
01-08-2011, 07:03 PM
If Patrick Peterson times well, I'd probably take Peterson.

The panthers could use a corner, but it's not like the secondary is in need of a major upgrade, particularly when a QB, WR or DT who grade out as well as prospects would fill a much bigger need.

keylime_5
01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
and cornerbacks never ever ever go #1 overall and I'm not too sure they ever will.