PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Green to Carolina?

shylo3716
01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I know it's very early, but is it safe to say A.J. Green could potentially be the #1 overall pick to Carolina since Luck has made it official he will return to Stanford?

Another note I could also seeing Carolina target Gabbert because he seems to be a sure pick over the other top QBs or even Bowers to upgrade the pass rush.

http://www.outofboundsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/aj-green.jpg http://www.questfor31.com/images/Carolina-Panthers-Logo.gif

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't take Gabbert over Locker. For as much as people want to talk about Locker's statistics, Gabbert's aren't any better on the whole, and that's without even considering system (Missouri throws more screens than just about anyone) and supporting cast. And point blank, Locker just looks better to me on the field.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Gabbert is a much better pure passer than Locker. Locker is a great athlete and runner who has a long way to go before he's competent enough throwing the ball to be a starting QB in the NFL. He showed flashes in 2009 but he fell on his face with a bad 2010 season. That's a discussion for another time/place though. Gabbert has the great arm and can already make all the throws with fine accuracy, he just needs to become a more polished overall player with his footwork, decision making, leadership, etc.

It is definitely "safe to say" that Green could go #1. I think he's competing with Fairley, Bowers, and even Cam Newton for that spot. Newton is the only QB I see of potentially going #1 now that Luck is staying put.

K Train
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
can always count on locker being mentioned in any thread lol.

taking a WR #1 with the deal in the works will be way easier than it has been the last few years....i still think CB or DE would be considered a more premium position so peterson or bowers would be the more valued picks, but green is definitely a possibility

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Gabbert is a much better pure passer than Locker. Locker is a great athlete and runner who has a long way to go before he's competent enough throwing the ball to be a starting QB in the NFL. He showed flashes in 2009 but he fell on his face with a bad 2010 season. That's a discussion for another time/place though. Gabbert has the great arm and can already make all the throws with fine accuracy, he just needs to become a more polished overall player with his footwork, decision making, leadership, etc.

It is definitely "safe to say" that Green could go #1. I think he's competing with Fairley, Bowers, and even Cam Newton for that spot. Newton is the only QB I see of potentially going #1 now that Luck is staying put.

Really not seeing it to be honest. Gabbert just seems like the current flavor of the month to me and his arm and accuracy have never struck me as anything special. Jake Locker has definitely caused me to say "WOW" on more throws than Gabbert ever has.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Locker doesn't have the accuracy or polish that Gabbert has throwing the ball downfield. The guy makes all the throws and makes it looks like he's not even trying when he fits the ball into tight spaces downfield. Locker is an athlete playing QB right now that was extremely raw his first two years and finally started to get better under Sarkisian, but has regressed a bit his senior year after showing so much improvement as a junior. I don't think you've watched enough of Gabbert if you don't see this.

MetSox17
01-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Holy **** quit turning every thread into a Jake Locker argument. ****.

BuddyCHRIST
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I think its a possibility, but more than likely I see either Bowers or Fairley. I think with the slam dunk QB being gone, the Panthers give Clausen another year and try to upgrade their overall talent level.

AJ Green is great but he's not that much better than the other WR's (I like Julio better) and certainly doesn't have the value at number 1 overall. This is such a deep WR class they could get a great guy later while upgrading at more important positions at number 1.

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Locker doesn't have the accuracy or polish that Gabbert has throwing the ball downfield. The guy makes all the throws and makes it looks like he's not even trying when he fits the ball into tight spaces downfield. Locker is an athlete playing QB right now that was extremely raw his first two years and finally started to get better under Sarkisian, but has regressed a bit his senior year after showing so much improvement as a junior. I don't think you've watched enough of Gabbert if you don't see this.

I've actually watched alot of Gabbert because I knew he'd be on the radar as an NFL prospect because of his size, and how highly thought of he was out of high school. Watched a ton of Gabbert the first half of last season.

His downfield throws are mostly the typical spread seam throws where he holds the linebackers with a play fake. I toss those in the trash because they aren't NFL throws. On the rest of his 15+ throws... meh. Nothing crazy. Accurate on some, inaccurate on others. The best thing about him that I can see is that he's mobile at that size and improvises well.

San Diego Chicken
01-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Holy **** quit turning every thread into a Jake Locker argument. ****.

Ok sorry. My last post on the subject. Yes, A.J. Green to Carolina seems good to me. They're the worst offensive team in the league, A.J. is the best offensive prospect in the draft.

ChiFan24
01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I'd take Newton if I were them, but that's just me. It'll depend on the coach. If it's Fewell I think he takes a 3-tech in Fairley.

scpanther22
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Newton would be such a risk at #1...

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 05:32 PM
I've actually watched alot of Gabbert because I knew he'd be on the radar as an NFL prospect because of his size, and how highly thought of he was out of high school. Watched a ton of Gabbert the first half of last season.

His downfield throws are mostly the typical spread seam throws where he holds the linebackers with a play fake. I toss those in the trash because they aren't NFL throws. On the rest of his 15+ throws... meh. Nothing crazy. Accurate on some, inaccurate on others. The best thing about him that I can see is that he's mobile at that size and improvises well.

go watch the Insight Bowl agin. He puts on full display his crazy arm and accuracy. No question at all about his ability to make all the throws at the next level or his timing and accuracy. It's all between the ears with Gabbert. He just needs development before he becomes a franchise passer, and those NFL personnel evaluators will go gaga when they see him workout.

eagles6606
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Its definately a possibility that the Panthers take Green #1. We all know that they desperately need help on the d-line, but their offense actually has potential. A good line with Gross and Otah, good backs in Stewart, Williams, and Goodson, what I think is going to be a good #2 reciever in Lafell, and Clausen still has the potential to develop into a good QB, plus there is always Matt Moore. Taking Green would help Clausen develop, which could mean a pretty dynamic Panthers offense. A.J. Green is definately in play for Carolina at #1.

brasho
01-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I was on the way home today when I heard Luck was staying and at first I thought about Bowers... but then I considered the facts that Charles Johnson had something like 9.5 sacks in his last 8 games (or was that Von Miller?) and really showed he's becoming an excellent DE AND there is the possibility that the new coach comes in and likes what he sees, or just believes in Jimmy Clausen... and if that's the case, the next step would be to ger some weapons for him.... and AJ Green was the first name to pop into my mind.

If Clausen stays, then Clausen needs weapons, the Panthers lock up their RBs, keep Steve Smith and make him the #2 WR he's been wanting to be, and draft a #1 WR... and that would likely be Green.. even though I see Green impacting the NFL as more of a Keyshawn-type player than Randy Moss-type.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm saying Fairley. It sounds like they will be selecting a defensive minded head coach, so I'm sure he's going to want to get a beast in the middle. Then just ground and pound on offense.

DraftDoctor
01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
The worst thing you can do is take a QB just because you have the top pick in the draft. This draft has the Alex Smith smell to me.

I personally like Locker if he is in the right situation. For example going to a team where he can work with a guy like Josh McDaniels. Gabbert is protected by the system. Newton.....well we all know about him, how does he translate to the next level. Mallett suffers Henne-like brain cramps.

None of those guys have the qualities you want to invest in a first overall pick.

DraftDoctor
01-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Best thing Carolina could trade down, but we say that about the team picking first every year.

umphrey
01-06-2011, 08:10 PM
I thought Carolina would auction the #1 pick this year with the rookie pay scale coming into play but without Luck there isn't much to sell. Carolina got screwed badly this draft and they are going to have to 'settle' for someone. I think it's a defensive player and not a DE so probably Fairley, with Patrick Peterson having a chance. I think that would be the highest a DB would be drafted ever, by 2-3 picks and while I like Peterson a lot he doesn't scream (or even whimper) "best ever".

Halsey
01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Haven't we moved past the myth of defensive head coaches always going for defensive players? That assumption gets proven wrong all the time. Let it go.

GB12
01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Now that Luck's gone I don't think that there are any top 3 prospects in this draft. A bunch of top 10 prospects, but none that should be at the very top of a draft. The difference from having the #1 pick to the #7 pick is almost nonexistent.

BallerT1215
01-06-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure I can see it happening...but AJ Green is the type of WR that would give Steve Smith new life on the other side....

But when you got Clausen as a QB, does it really matter how good your weapons are?

SchizophrenicBatman
01-06-2011, 08:48 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lpiDRDaH-mU/SMU9GQzTYGI/AAAAAAAAHRQ/fyS6t5VByWE/s400/giantdouchevsturdsandwich7om.jpg

katnip
01-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I say they trade down. At least if I was in charge

GB12
01-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I say they trade down. At least if I was in charge

Good luck with that buddy.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
honestly i would take a really crappy package to just get back into the 2nd round at this point

i mean, who's to say that julio jones or alshon jeffrey doesnt end up better than aj green?

ok im getting desperate now just ignore me

Dirt McGirt
01-06-2011, 10:19 PM
honestly i would take a really crappy package to just get back into the 2nd round at this point

i mean, who's to say that julio jones or alshon jeffrey doesnt end up better than aj green?

ok im getting desperate now just ignore me

I think Alshon is better, but Carolina would have to wait another year to get him...

Mr.Regular
01-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Damn it's wide open at #1 right now.
Peterson, Bowers, Quinn, Fairley, Dareus, Newton, Gabbert, Green all guys that you could make a case for.
Realistically I think the options are Peterson, Fairley, Newton, or Green... and if I had to bet money on it right now I'd go with Fairley

SenorGato
01-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd go with Peterson.

JPP90
01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
They should definently trade out now and pick up a 2nd.

GB12
01-06-2011, 10:51 PM
They should definently trade out now and pick up a 2nd.

Yeah because so many teams are going to want to trade up so they can pick from a dozen prospects that aren't worth the top pick. Seriously, why the hell do people keep suggesting a trade? The same reasons that Carolina would want to trade down are the same reasons no one is even going to think about trading up. Not a single team would trade up to pick AJ Green or Nick Fairly #1.

JPP90
01-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah because so many teams are going to want to trade up so they can pick from a dozen prospects that aren't worth the top pick. Seriously, why the hell do people keep suggesting a trade? The same reasons that Carolina would want to trade down are the same reasons no one is even going to think about trading up. Not a single team would trade up to pick AJ Green or Nick Fairly #1.

Don't reply like a douchebag to one of my posts as if you know who every team wants and how badly they want them. Its a simple concept..the pick just lost a ton of value. Trade it below the typical #1 market value. Hell Cleveland gave the #5 pick away in 09 to the Jets for a bunch of bench players. Its fair to say someone may covet Green or Bowers or Peterson at a fair price.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-06-2011, 11:10 PM
yea seriously someone at 10 or even 15 wouldnt take the #1 if they just throw in their second rounder?

hell we can give them our 4th (basically late 3rd) since we're getting a comp pick for peppers

edited to say: this is probably a really dumb idea and we're most likely just taking the defensive BPA with a 5% chance at green...but in theory that's what i'd think about

TT Gator
01-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I think its a possibility, but more than likely I see either Bowers or Fairley. I think with the slam dunk QB being gone, the Panthers give Clausen another year and try to upgrade their overall talent level.

AJ Green is great but he's not that much better than the other WR's (I like Julio better) and certainly doesn't have the value at number 1 overall. This is such a deep WR class they could get a great guy later while upgrading at more important positions at number 1.

I see it much like you do. You could justify taking Luck #1 overall even though the year before you took Clausen in the 2nd round but one of these other guys? No way IMO. Not one of these guys are anywhere close to a sure thing. They all have huge boom or bust tags attached to them. Their picking #1 overall for a reason and it's not all cuz of Clausen. He has a year of experiance in the NFL/system now and if they give him a receiving threat like Green I could see him growing alot in his 2nd season. The one thing I differ from you on is that I do think Green is worth the #1 pick in the Draft. I don't mean he should be the pick but I do believe he's worth it. With him you could move Steve Smith to #2 WR right away which is what he wants and honestly where he should be. In the end though I think they take Nick Fairley. Because of the departure of Peppers, the deep WR class, and with many big name WRs hitting free agency this off-season I think they'll see the D-Line as a bigger concern and go there with the #1 pick. Bowers is absolutely a possibility but with the instant success of Suh (Fairley's performance againest Alabama drawing comparisions to Suh's Big 12 Championship performance) and since they already have a few young pass rushers with potential (Everette Brown, Greg Hardy) I think they decide to fix the interior with Fairley instead.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-07-2011, 12:11 AM
i wonder how many more years it takes for people to realize that 2nd+ round QBs are back ups at best until they prove otherwise

i mean i dont blame you, some nfl teams dont get it either...but they should be coming around soon

and no, the circumstances surrounding clausen's fall to the 2nd are meaningless; fact is he was a 2nd rounder. if kiper wasn't paid off to shill for him he's just kellen clemens that was forced into action earlier

Gary
01-07-2011, 09:08 AM
If he is close to Calvin Johnson in talent then not a bad way to go, for sure.

lod01
01-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Why would they pick someone that can't possibly help their team? They don't have a QB competent enough to consistently get the ball to the WRs. Talk about a wasted pick unless they get #1 in 2012 and draft Luck.

BTW, no chance a WR goes #1 in an NFL draft. Calvin Johnson didn't get picked #1 and he's 100x AJ Green.

Wrathman
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I think the top two options for Carolina are 1) Luck and 2) trade out. If neither is possible, I think they end up with Bowers.

umphrey
01-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Anyone saying trade down is just saying "I don't like your answer but I don't have one of my own"

RaiderNation
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Cam Newton

Master Exploder
01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Why would they pick someone that can't possibly help their team? They don't have a QB competent enough to consistently get the ball to the WRs. Talk about a wasted pick unless they get #1 in 2012 and draft Luck.

BTW, no chance a WR goes #1 in an NFL draft. Calvin Johnson didn't get picked #1 and he's 100x AJ Green.

Keyshawn Johnson went #1 overall not too long ago. Just because it hasn't happened in the past 5 years doesn't mean that it won't happen. Every other year there has been a clear cut #1 overall prospect, but this is a pretty weak class this year. I don't see any reason why A.J. Green won't go 1st overall, especially when he's the top rated overall player on a lot of people's boards in the draft this year.

RaiderNation
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Only reason why he didnt go #1 is Al Davis thought Russell was a great prospect. Anybody in their right mind would have went with Johnson if they controlled the Raiders

Wrathman
01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Anyone saying trade down is just saying "I don't like your answer but I don't have one of my own"

I disagree. The trade-down option is viable (from the Panthers perspective) if they want a prospect available deeper in the draft and don't need the first pick to insure that they get him. Why spend more money than you have to in order to get the player you want? When you combine this with the team not having their second round pick, it makes even more sense to trade down...if they can still grab the player they want.

roscoesdad27
01-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I think they should give clausen a chance and go defense with the first pick which boils down to fairly vs. bowers....leaning bowers cause of his upside and versatility to play d.e. and u.t. ala justin tuck....a rich mans justin tuck to me. I'd target a d.t. round 3 to compliment everything. The best way to bring along a young q.b. Is to allow him to be a game manager rather than try to outscore the opponent. The succesful young q.b.'s have had good defenses.

Orakpowned
01-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Has A.J. even officially declared? I've not seen any link anywhere..

katnip
01-07-2011, 08:49 PM
they don't need green. Just a WR to compliment steve smith IMO. Like Mushin did

especially because its at the #1 pick

shylo3716
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Has A.J. even officially declared? I've not seen any link anywhere..

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/1/6/1919971/report-georgias-a-j-green-justin-houston-brandon-boykin-declaring

Orakpowned
01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/1/6/1919971/report-georgias-a-j-green-justin-houston-brandon-boykin-declaring

Alright. Thank you!

SeanTaylorRIP
01-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Considering either Baldiwn or Floyd likely will be available at their 2nd round pick hell maybe even their 3rd it wouldn't be smart to take Green #1 just to be the big body complement to Smith. Have to go defense. I to am leaning towards Bowers. With the depth at WR I think it would be foolish to take Green. He's good but I don't have him at Calvin level. As a prospect I have him rated around where I had Braylond, the 3rd or 4th best player in the draft.

Wrathman
01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Considering either Baldiwn or Floyd likely will be available at their 2nd round pick hell maybe even their 3rd it wouldn't be smart to take Green #1 just to be the big body complement to Smith.

The Panthers traded this year's second round pick to the Patriots during last year's draft so that they could select Armanti Edwards in the third round with the 89th overall selection. In the end, they gave up 56 draft spots for a player who barely saw the field as a rookie though I like his potential in the slot.

SenorGato
01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I want to call it crazy, but I know Bowers is extremely talented. Is he really worthy of the #1 pick? Will he Mario Williams the combine?

If it's true, can the Panthers cut one of Hardy or Brown so that the Jets can sign whichever one?

Jimmy
01-07-2011, 10:34 PM
I want to call it crazy, but I know Bowers is extremely talented. Is he really worthy of the #1 pick? Will he Mario Williams the combine?

I personally think the combine will be a disaster for him unless he gets in shape. Although, I'm basing this statement completely off the fact that I saw a tremendous roll of backfat under his spandex tight jersey in the bowl game. He looks jacked on google images. He looked kinda sluggish/not like the athletic freak I assumed he'd be after being a H.S. running back. You ask me, I think he needs to loose 15 pounds and get a step back so he can run well at the combine and lock himself in the top 5.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I think the combine will be telling whether or not Bowers or Quinn are the first pick with Peterson and Green as alternate choices. Really Bowers and Quinn are pretty fan safe picks. I don't see the fans being angered at getting either of the local guys. TBH I give Quinn the advantage because he will probably test better at the combine and is the type of dynamic pass rusher who would warrant the #1 pick. Bowers is more complete but doesn't have the pass rush potential of Quinn. I think Quinn and Peterson are front runners because they have the Xfactor to be the #1 pick.

shylo3716
01-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I think the combine will be telling whether or not Bowers or Quinn are the first pick with Peterson and Green as alternate choices. Really Bowers and Quinn are pretty fan safe picks. I don't see the fans being angered at getting either of the local guys. TBH I give Quinn the advantage because he will probably test better at the combine and is the type of dynamic pass rusher who would warrant the #1 pick. Bowers is more complete but doesn't have the pass rush potential of Quinn. I think Quinn and Peterson are front runners because they have the Xfactor to be the #1 pick.

You can consider Green local too SC borders NC.

essential
01-07-2011, 10:53 PM
any chance Can Newton would be taken by Carolina?

FUNBUNCHER
01-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Even though he missed the season, I think Robert Quinn could blow up with a monster combine and be taken #1 based on having the greatest upside of any Dlineman in the draft.

He'd be an easy replacement for Peppers, and could be an even better pure athlete at D-End.

If Quinn shows up at the combine weighing close to 270#, at a height of 6'5 and runs in the 4.5s, the Panthers might feel the love for him.

At least Quinn has elite first pick overall measurables.

Saints-Tigers
01-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I would bet on Quinn not being a better pure athlete than Peppers. Dude lined up at WR successfully in the NFL lol.

roscoesdad27
01-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Bowers is such a unique player which is why I have him #1. Quinn is a better pure r.e. but Bowers is the best 4-3 l.e. prospect ever imho...a rich mans justin tuck, who's also coming off a dpoty caliber season btw, that would make your d.l. unique....no need to get rid of any d.e.'s either cause like tuck, bowers can kick inside tp play u.t. in passing situations meaning brown or hardy would still getplenty of clock and give you guys a great rotation.

Base package would have bowers at L.E. and johnson at R.E. with hardy being the main rotation guy.

When in nickel/dime packages bowers could kick inside to u.t. and brown would come in at r.e. with jonson going to l.e....basically the "nascar" look that the giants use because they have a unique player like tuck to pull it off.

I love all the players in this debate but still give the edge to bowers right now becasue he's truely unique and can be called the best prospect ever at his particular position, LEFT end....the other prospects can't say that. Suh > fairly, peppers > quinn, johnson/moss > green etc....name a better LEFT end prospect than bowers.

SenorGato
01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I think Quinn is the better player between the two. You can do some fun things with Quinn and he's a much better pass rusher.

eagles6606
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Breaking News: A.J. Green Declares for the 2011 Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6005102

Babylon
01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Breaking News: A.J. Green Declares for the 2011 Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6005102

I think he'd make the most sense for the Panthers and then if Clausen is still bad they can get the QB next year.

BlindSite
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
I think he'd make the most sense for the Panthers and then if Clausen is still bad they can get the QB next year.

It's hard to say because the team appears to be faily high on both gettis and LaFell and while I think it's foolish to even suggest that they're on par right now with Green, the team might not feel that he address the largest need.

imo, right now you have to consider Fairly to be the front runner, if for no other reason, outside of QB he'd fill the biggest need.

scpanther22
01-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Bowers is such a unique player which is why I have him #1. Quinn is a better pure r.e. but Bowers is the best 4-3 l.e. prospect ever imho...a rich mans justin tuck, who's also coming off a dpoty caliber season btw, that would make your d.l. unique....no need to get rid of any d.e.'s either cause like tuck, bowers can kick inside tp play u.t. in passing situations meaning brown or hardy would still getplenty of clock and give you guys a great rotation.

Base package would have bowers at L.E. and johnson at R.E. with hardy being the main rotation guy.

When in nickel/dime packages bowers could kick inside to u.t. and brown would come in at r.e. with jonson going to l.e....basically the "nascar" look that the giants use because they have a unique player like tuck to pull it off.

I love all the players in this debate but still give the edge to bowers right now becasue he's truely unique and can be called the best prospect ever at his particular position, LEFT end....the other prospects can't say that. Suh > fairly, peppers > quinn, johnson/moss > green etc....name a better LEFT end prospect than bowers.

you really think he is the Best ever?

I think the Panthers will go BPA..

dannyz
01-09-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't like a WR going 1ST but is anyone else worth it. Bowers/Quinn maybe. I don't see a DT going #1 if Suh could not go #1 and if the Panthers take Green and do bad next year they can take Andrew Luck in 2012.

roscoesdad27
01-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't like a WR going 1ST but is anyone else worth it. Bowers/Quinn maybe. I don't see a DT going #1 if Suh could not go #1 and if the Panthers take Green and do bad next year they can take Andrew Luck in 2012.

I don't see a w.r. going #1 if johnson could not go #1....see how easy that is. If fairly weighs in at 310 + I think the panthers should take him and no I don't think he's better than suh. As of now I think he's in the 300 pound range which gives the slight edge to the uniquely talented and versatile bowers....defense is a young q.b.'s best friend, taking green would be asking clausen to outscore opponents which would be difficult considering the panthers defense. Take bowers in the first then another defensive player (d.t./c.b.) In the second and properly groom clausen by allowing him to be a game manger behind a good defense.

shylo3716
01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
As of right now I can only see 2 possibilities in the Top 5, that's Carolina at #1 and Cincinnati at #4. Green is in a win win situation, because he can come right in and be the man for either team. Then again he can lose out on a lot of money he has never had if not the #1 pick.

What will be the pay scale difference between the #1 overall & #4 overall?

RealityCheck
01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I think it's a toss-up between Bowers and Green right now... I'd personally try to trade down and take Mallett and get some extra picks if I was them.

shylo3716
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
I think it's a toss-up between Bowers and Green right now... I'd personally try to trade down and take Mallett and get some extra picks if I was them.

How many spots do they trade back? Buffalo, Cincy, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennesse, Washington, Minny will all target QBs.

RealityCheck
01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
How many spots do they trade back? Buffalo, Cincy, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennesse, Washington, Minny will all target QBs.
That's the problem. Carolina is in a very, very hard situation.

ellsy82
01-10-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm saying Fairley. It sounds like they will be selecting a defensive minded head coach, so I'm sure he's going to want to get a beast in the middle. Then just ground and pound on offense.

Yeah, I'm with you. Carolina will look to build themselves back into the playoffs, and their best chances to do that was having a pro-bowl defensive lineman in Julius Peppers. Fairley is that same kind of dominant.

As far as Green goes, I don't see him as a Megatron or Andre Johnson clone. Dynamic talent and the best receiver in the draft by far, but not worth a #1 overall pick. When was the last time a WR was selected first overall? Calvin Johnson went #2 overall in '07.

The last WR to go #1 overall was Keyshawn Johnson in '96. Its not going to happen. I don't see Green as being THAT dominant.

roscoesdad27
01-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Fairly has to be the front runner now after that dominate performance.

ellsy82
01-11-2011, 12:54 AM

He was fun to watch, that's for sure. Not sure he's up there with Suh, but I'd definately rank him up there with McCoy. I'm just hoping that JJ Watt slips down to the bottom of the round.

Arsenal
01-11-2011, 01:08 AM

Agreed that he was awesome and pretty much unblockable the entire game. Only game I can remember like that was Suh versus Texas last year.

That said I can't see him as the #1 pick just yet. I think he's going to do very poorly in interviews and the guy is such a dirty player it is unreal. I've never seen anyone with the amount of cheap shots this guy dishes out. If he plays like that in the NFL he's definitely going to be suspended and rack up a boatload of fines.

The #1 pick becomes a face of the franchise for a lot of teams and I think the Panthers would have to seriously consider if they want someone like Fairley as that face.

ellsy82
01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
See...I've heard he's a dirty player. That doesn't bother me. I like the Suh's and Harrison's of this league. That aspect of their persona doesn't bother me. What bothers me, is if its a lockerroom thing.

Is he a dirty player or a nasty teammate? I can live with the first.

DeathbyStat
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
With current NFL climate Fairley needs to tone it down a bit, like Suh found out you can't just kill QB's with Roger Goddell's beautify the NFL campaign in full effect.

I love Fairly but he is not Suh, he seems like a guy that could do very poorly in interviews and only had one monster year.

How does Fairly fit in with the scheme Ron Rivera will want to play? Will he go back to his penetrating Tampa 2? I like Fairley in the 4-3, much better than the 3-4. Many have him mocked to Cleveland i don't really like the fit.

AntoinCD
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Right now I would have Fairley as the front runner for the Panthers. I'm actually pretty torn on this though and I started a mock draft recently where I had Green as the #1 overall selection, simply because the fact that Luck went back, unless the Panthers fall in love with Newton or Gabbert then they will live and die with Jimmy Clausen at QB. Now common sense says that giving him more weapons, especially one as talented as Green, is the way to go. However with the depth at the WR position I think they can justify passing on him. Especially since I believe he wont run any better than 4.5 at the combine.

They will also pass on him for the player who I now have as the top prospect in the country in Fairley. It also helps that their biggest need is probably DT as well. Imagine Fairley wreaking havoc inside with Johnson and Hardy off the edges. In a division with Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Josh Freeman that must sound good.

With a more talented defensive line along with the rest of the defense getting healthy they should have a decent defense. Add in if the running game gets going next year that will take the pressure off Clausen.

Best case scenario is probably Fairley here and a guy like Hankerson, Deandre Brown etc at the top of the 3rd.

ShutDwn
01-11-2011, 03:20 PM
They will also pass on him for the player who I now have as the top prospect in the country in Fairley. It also helps that their biggest need is probably DT as well. Imagine Fairley wreaking havoc inside with Johnson and Hardy off the edges. In a division with Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Josh Freeman that must sound good.

Good point there.

This thread is done though, Fairley was so dominant last night and Ron Rivera has been hired so I doubt the Panthers are going to use their number one pick on a receiver.