PDA

View Full Version : How Much Did Cameron Heyward Improve Stock in Sugar Bowl?

MI_Buckeye
01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
After dominating a good Arkansas line everywhere from the Zero tech to the five, how much did Heyward raise his stock. I know his stock plummeted during the season, but he has been downright filthy at times through his career. Maddeningly inconsistent, but if you were to watch this game and the Penn State game from last year, you would wonder why he is not the No. 1 pick overall.

I think this game demonstrated that he is capable of being a beast as an UT in a Cover 2 scheme as well as a great 3-4 end. I do not anticipate him blowing away the combine, but he might be the most versatile D Lineman in the draft.

Don Vito
01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
His stock didn't really plummet this season, but now if I had my guess I'd bank on him being a top 20 pick. Probably somewhere in that 10-20 range if I had my guess but he still can raise his stock more with his workouts. He had a dominant performance at the perfect time, he definitely helped himself out a lot. He was moving all over the line, I would love to groom him to be our next stud end in New England.

eagles6606
01-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Yea he definately improved his stock with his great performance in the Sugar Bowl. He was making tackles for a loss and putting pressure on Mallett all night. I think he probably went from being a mid second round pick to being back in the discussion for the later half of round one.

K Train
01-06-2011, 05:39 PM
im not surprised he played so well, i never thought his stock dropping from potential top 10 to 2nd round was justified during the season....but i wasnt really looking for him to be a pass rusher either. he still looks like a 15-25 pick to me and id love the steelers to someone get him in the first to replace smith

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Did his stock really "plummet" during the season? His sack total wasn't high, but neither was anyone else's on Ohio State. That happens when you lose Worthington, Wilson, Denlinger, Rose, and Gibson from the 2009 defensive line. People keyed on Cam more this year, but he still was a fantastic defensive lineman this year. Defensive linemen are some of the hardest to measure effectiveness with if you only you stats, you have to watch their film a lot moreso than the other positions on defense to notice how good they are. I think he more likely failed to raise his stock after a great junior year rather than make his stock go down.

He definitely gave his stock a shot in the arm in SB. He was playing out of his mind, it was like he was possessed or something. They say he was acting crazy and incredibly fired up during the entire game, even on the sidelines. I think he's definitely in the 15-25 range.

ElectricEye
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Too much for him to be had below what he's worth, that's for damn sure. He's a top twenty pick for sure at this point and could go even higher.

SenorGato
01-06-2011, 06:25 PM
He's a possible top 10 pick, probably a top 16 pick, and almost definitely gone by 20.

DaBrowns41
01-06-2011, 06:37 PM
He was quite inconsistent all season. He would disappear in games. His stock didn't 'plummet', but it sure wasn't the Top 15 that people talked about.

I think he's going between 22-33, personally. He's a stud, but there are a lot of great talents out there in this top heavy draft.

umphrey
01-06-2011, 06:44 PM
A lot. In Big Ten play this year he really made me question why he was a top DE. Against Arkansas he was by far the most dominant player in the game, in a bowl game, against a SEC opponent. He was the reason Ohio State won that game. To me, he went from a mid second rounder to middle of the first. I thought he was overrated, but he showed ability that, if coached and motivated, can be very good on the NFL level.

I am still not sure where he fits best though. I had him pegged as a 3-4 DE but the bowl game made me question whether that would be a waste of his penetrating talents. He spent a lot of that game in the backfield.

DcmRulz
01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
I think the Sugar Bowl solidified his first round status, barring injury. I think he'll be one of those dependable guys that can occasionally pull off a huge game. High floor with some potential.

keylime_5
01-06-2011, 07:16 PM
A lot. In Big Ten play this year he really made me question why he was a top DE. Against Arkansas he was by far the most dominant player in the game, in a bowl game, against a SEC opponent. He was the reason Ohio State won that game. To me, he went from a mid second rounder to middle of the first. I thought he was overrated, but he showed ability that, if coached and motivated, can be very good on the NFL level.

I am still not sure where he fits best though. I had him pegged as a 3-4 DE but the bowl game made me question whether that would be a waste of his penetrating talents. He spent a lot of that game in the backfield.

I dont think it's a waste of his talents penetrating through the line. He is a perfect 5 tech DE and the fact that he can provide a pass rush is a bonus that 34 teams love to have, which is a big reason why Tyson Jackson went so high two years ago. Same with Richard Seymour. Now if a 2 gap team drafted Nick Fairley to play DE, that would be the perfect case of wasting a guy's talent as a pass rusher in a gap discipline system.

Matthew Jones
01-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Definitely strongly boosted his draft stock. I will most likely be projecting him somewhere in the first round.

bigfreak314
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
With 13 teams running 3-4 as their base defense there is a high demand for 5 tech ends like him. With that performance no way he makes out of the top 20 unless he has a horrible Combine. I could see New England drafting him with the Raiders 1st rounder.

RaiderNation
01-07-2011, 02:57 AM
I had him as a late 1st, but I can see his stock goiing back up into the top 25. Especially with the need of 3-4 DE's

princefielder28
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
It was the type of performance that people have been waiting for all year. He showed that he has plenty of ability but we'd like to see that type of performance on a more consistent basis. With the likes of Bowers, Fairley, Dareus, Jordan, Watt, Kerrigan and Paea as guys who are probably rated ahead of him, he'll more than likely slide to the bottom third of round one.

Bobertchin
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
He's a possible top 10 pick, probably a top 16 pick, and almost definitely gone by 20.

Top 10? Really? That seems high to me. He does have good size, and could be very intriguing for those teams that run a 3-4, and there are many in the top 10. So I guess it could happen.