PDA

View Full Version : RavenOfProphecy's 1/6 Mock Draft!

Matthew Jones
01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
This is just another quick one-rounder with short explanations. I also included a list of some of the guys considered for the first round but who ultimately didn't make it. Constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks!

1. Carolina Panthers – WR A.J. Green, Georgia
The Panthers take the best player available, A.J. Green, in a year without Andrew Luck. Green could compliment or possibly replace Steve Smith, who’s asked to be traded.

2. Denver Broncos – CB Patrick Peterson, Louisiana St.
Denver’s defense needs help all over – Champ Bailey is likely gone after this season and Peterson is a fit for whatever defensive scheme the team uses.

3. Buffalo Bills – DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
Buffalo was having more success towards the end of last year operating out of a 4-3 defense than they were in their 3-4, so a scheme change is possible.

4. Cincinnati Bengals – DE Da’Quan Bowers, Clemson
With Marvin Lewis returning (presumably on a short leash, although he hasn’t been held accountable yet), the Bengals likely won’t look to replace Palmer.

5. Arizona Cardinals – QB Cam Newton, Auburn
After his much-hyped Heisman-winning campaign, Newton would, for better or worse, likely be the first quarterback off the board in a Luck-less draft.

6. Cleveland Browns – DE Marcel Dareus, Alabama
The Browns need defensive line help badly, and even though the defensive scheme is up in the air at this point, Dareus projects as a fit in both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts.

7. San Francisco 49ers – QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Mallett seems to be ahead of Jake Locker for most teams at this point – San Francisco will likely bring in a new quarterback with their regime change.

8. Tennessee Titans – QB Jake Locker, Washington
Now that Vince Young is supposedly out of the picture, Jeff Fisher will be looking for a new quarterback, and Locker seems like a strong fit in Tennessee.

9. Dallas Cowboys – CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
This is a match made in heaven – Dallas would love to land a top cornerback, as Terence Newman will be 33 next year and Mike Jenkins has struggled.

10. Washington Redskins – WR Julio Jones, Alabama
It seems like the Redskins have been looking for a stud receiver forever. Jones is an elite prospect and a likely top-ten pick at this point in the draft process.

11. Houston Texans – DE Robert Quinn, Notre Dame
With Wade Phillips in charge of the defense, look for Houston to target a top pass rusher for a 3-4 scheme that will be tasked with improving a terrible pass defense.

12. Minnesota Vikings – DT Stephen Paea, Oregon St.
Minnesota needs a quarterback, but Blaine Gabbert hasn’t shown enough to be taken this high in the draft, so they target a replacement for Pat Williams instead.

13. Detroit Lions – DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
Really like the fit of Kerrigan in Detroit. Kyle Vanden Bosch cannot be counted on long-term and the Lions have had some success with Purdue in the past (Cliff Avril.)

14. St. Louis Rams – WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.
His DUI could prove costly, but Blackmon’s dominating season will most likely have the Rams salivating as they attempt to add a true #1 receiver to their team.

15. Miami Dolphins – QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
The Dolphins would probably like to draft Mark Ingram here, but Chad Henne has not earned the starting job next year by any stretch, so they attempt to find a QB.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Cameron Jordan, California
Maybe not a perfect fit for a 4-3 defense coming from a 3-4 in college, but Cameron Jordan’s stock is extremely high right now and is a former teammate of Alualu.

17. New England Patriots (from Oakland) – DE Cameron Heyward, Ohio St.
Had a somewhat disappointing season this year but capped it off with a strong performance in the Sugar Bowl and projects as a good fit in New England.

18. San Diego Chargers – LB Von Miller, Texas A&M
Miller’s stock seems to be pretty high at this point, and the Chargers haven’t gotten enough out of Larry English to feel like they can count on him producing.

19. New York Giants – LB Akeem Ayers, UCLA
The Giants might need an offensive tackle, but Ayers seems like an ideal fit in their defense thanks to his versatility, and represents a strong value here.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Aldon Smith, Missouri
Raheem Morris’ defense really struggled to rush the passer from the end position this year, and could use some young blood to play next to Gerald McCoy on the line.

21. Seattle Seahawks – DE J.J. Watt, Wisconsin
Pete Carroll will likely be looking for an upgrade at end as well, and J.J. Watt would be a strong value at this point after an extremely productive junior year.

22. Kansas City Chiefs – LB Justin Houston, Georgia
Houston has experience in a 3-4 defense, which will give him some serious brownie points for teams such as Kansas City that are looking to upgrade their pass rush.

23. Indianapolis Colts – OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi St.
Peyton Manning needs to be protected for the Colts to win games, and Bill Polian’s recent comments suggest that they’ll attempt to do exactly that in the first round.

24. Philadelphia Eagles – OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
Ellis Hobbs’ career-ending injury creates uncertainty at cornerback, but the line has struggled too and Andy Reid has shown that he likes to draft in the trenches early.

25. Green Bay Packers – RB Mark Ingram, Alabama
Green Bay could use some upgrades at other positions, but Mark Ingram has fallen too far and represents a terrific value this late in the first round.

26. New Orleans Saints – DT Drake Nevis, Louisiana St.
The Saints are in a tough spot, but luckily are able to find a quality defensive tackle in quick-penetrating Drake Nevis to upgrade a position that has been thin for years.

27. Chicago Bears – OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
With over 50 consecutive starts, Anthony Castonzo could help stabilize a Chicago line that has struggled mightily to protect Jay Cutler, their franchise quarterback.

28. New York Jets – DE Allen Bailey, Miami (FL)
Surprisingly, the pressure defenses Rex Ryan employs haven’t been as successful this year, and the Jets need to start getting after the quarterback more consistently.

29. Baltimore Ravens – CB Brandon Harris, Miami (FL)
The second Hurricane in a row off the board, the Ravens would love for a potential mid-first talent like Harris to fall into their lap, where he could study under Ed Reed.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers – OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
Building a team isn’t about finding the most talented players, it’s about finding a group of guys that work together. Pouncey should be right at home with his brother.

31. Atlanta Falcons – TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
The uncertainty regarding Tony Gonzalez, the increased popularity of tight ends, and the lack of top prospects at the position this year could push Rudolph into the first.

32. New England Patriots – OT Nate Solder, Colorado
With highly-respected line coach Dante Scarnecchia, the Patriots could feel comfortable taking a gamble with a high-risk, high-reward player like Solder.

33. New England Patriots – C Stefen Wisniewski, Penn St.
Stefen Wisniewski would be a strong replacement for Dan Koppen, as he is smart, experienced, technically sound, and versatile, all important qualities in New England.

Notable omissions:

• RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois

• WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

• WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh

• OT Tyron Smith, Southern California

• OT Matt Reynolds, Brigham Young

• OT DeMarcus Love, Arkansas

• OG Marcus Cannon, Texas Christian

• DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa

• DT Jurrell Casey, Southern California

• CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida

• CB Aaron Williams, Texas

• FS Rahim Moore, UCLA

49erNation85
01-06-2011, 11:12 PM
I would seriously have Locker over Mallet at this point.I didn't like Mallet's pocket awareness in their bowl also his ability to run sucks compared to Locker but that is just being a **** with Locker lol . Any who descent draft tho .

farfromforgotten
01-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Not to be a d*ck but you have the "Lions" written under your explanation for the Panthers pick and you have "Notre Dame" listed as Robert Quinn's college. With that out of the way...

As a 49ers fan, I will gladly accept any/all mocks that give us a QB (Newton, Locker, Mallett, Gabbert) or a CB (Peterson, Amukamara) in the 1st round. Mallett is a good pick.

You mention Gabbert as a possibility for the Vikings at 12 but then you say that you think that is too high for him to go. Yet you then have the Dolphins select him 3 picks later at 15? That one stumped me.

All in all looks to be a pretty solid mock.

proshoota25
01-06-2011, 11:54 PM
pretty solid patriots pick, sucks no OLB tho :(

Don Vito
01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
That seems like a very realistic Pats draft, as you were saying the other day we are going to build from the trenches out and probably go somewhat cheap on OLB. I would love Heyward in the first, and adding two solid looking prospects that are good fits at C and T would be awesome. I could deal with that nice work.

Hurricanes25
01-07-2011, 12:21 AM
I would be very happy if the Jets drafted Allen Bailey.

Pat Sims 90
01-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Bowers is the best pick at that point with who is gone. Would like to see the Bengals move down with what is left on the table and go after a OL.

BallerT1215
01-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Fairley over Bowers at 3?

I'd start a riot. Legit.

Razor
01-07-2011, 02:47 AM
pretty solid patriots pick, sucks no OLB tho :(

This. Heyward is nice and all, but in this case I'd want Justin Houston even if it's a reach. Other than that this is a great Pats draft!

Poz51
01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
3. Buffalo Bills – DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
Buffalo was having more success towards the end of last year operating out of a 4-3 defense than they were in their 3-4, so a scheme change is possible.
5. Arizona Cardinals – QB Cam Newton, Auburn
After his much-hyped Heisman-winning campaign, Newton would, for better or worse, likely be the first quarterback off the board in a Luck-less draft.

Fairley over Bowers at 3?

I'd start a riot. Legit.

I still think Newton might be the pick, but Fairley at 3 would not be a disappointment to me at all. FYI, Gailey has stated that scheme will not dictate their pick, and that they will continue with the hybrid scheme next year. BPA...
Bowers makes alot of sense if they plan on using more 4-3, Fairley makes more sense if they plan on using more 3-4 (although Fairley makes sense both ways, Williams and Fairley inside is a sick duo in a 4-3), and I think the pick will be more telling of the direction they plan on going forward, unfortunately thye plan to go with more hybrid next year does not really tell which direction they plan on going in the draft.... Either way starting a legit riot might be taking things a bit far given both are excellent prospects IMO... Right now we get one of five guys, Newton, Fairley, Peterson, Bowers, or Green, and personally I am ok with that, especially if we get an impact defensive lineman for either scheme, although we have made significant investments along the dline recentley. I actually think this pick is tougher than many would think to predict right now.

prock
01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
If Gabbert is good enough to go at 15, he is good enough to be reached on an 12. We cannot pass on a QB for a defensive tackle. Unless a blue chip prospect on defense falls to us, we need a QB or an OT.

Matthew Jones
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I still think Newton might be the pick, but Fairley at 3 would not be a disappointment to me at all. FYI, Gailey has stated that scheme will not dictate their pick, and that they will continue with the hybrid scheme next year. BPA...
Bowers makes alot of sense if they plan on using more 4-3, Fairley makes more sense if they plan on using more 3-4 (although Fairley makes sense both ways, Williams and Fairley inside is a sick duo in a 4-3), and I think the pick will be more telling of the direction they plan on going forward, unfortunately thye plan to go with more hybrid next year does not really tell which direction they plan on going in the draft.... Either way starting a legit riot might be taking things a bit far given both are excellent prospects IMO... Right now we get one of five guys, Newton, Fairley, Peterson, Bowers, or Green, and personally I am ok with that, especially if we get an impact defensive lineman for either scheme, although we do have significant investments along the dline recentley. I actually think this pick is tougher than many would think to predict right now.

I had some trouble with the pick, but here's my two cents: if the Bills want to operate out of a 3-4 defense as their base, they're not going to take Nick Fairley. He's a strict 4-3 under tackle. He's excellent at getting into the backfield and making plays. He's not a great run defender and playing in a 3-4 would be a huge waste of his talents similar to how a 3-4 team wouldn't have drafted Gerald McCoy at the top of the first round last year. I know his size makes it seem like he could play in either scheme, but his skill-set restricts him.

Bowers, on the other hand, is a fit for both a 3-4 and a 4-3. I know he's huge at 6'4", 280 or so, but he's athletic enough to play linebacker and potentially be a devastating rusher off the edge in a 3-4. I almost went with him in Buffalo, and I think I might do that in my next mock. Robert Quinn might be more cleanly projected to outside linebacker in a 3-4 than Bowers, could you see the Bills drafting him? Kind of tough to project his stock at this point since he missed the entire season, although last year he was a beast and his infraction doesn't seem to be a big deal to a lot of people.

As for Newton and Peterson - I can see it from the "this guy's a freak" perspective but I think Buffalo would be better suited to going in another direction. Cam Newton would be somewhat of a fit in Chan Gailey's offense, but I still see him as somewhat unlikely given Fitzpatrick's solid play this year. If there's no rookie salary cap, the Bills almost certainly won't draft him, because quarterbacks command much higher salaries than players at other positions. Regarding Peterson: they've invested too heavily on the defensive backfield in recent years and it hasn't really gotten them anywhere, plus this is a year that's extremely deep at cornerback and they could potentially land a top guy who's sliding later on. Ditto for wide receiver and A.J. Green. They'd have to think one of those guys was head and shoulders above the rest of the players to take them.

One guy I think would really flourish in Buffalo is Marcell Dareus. This guy was everywhere in the bowl game and really boosted his stock as a dominating prospect for both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses (with extensive experience in the 3-4, of course), which makes sense for the Bills if they stick with their hybrid defense. He might be considered a slight reach by some, but it's never a reach if you find a dominating player who fits what you want to do schematically. Coaches come and go so fast in the NFL that finding someone who's "scheme-proof" should be a huge move.

Matthew Jones
01-07-2011, 10:48 AM
If Gabbert is good enough to go at 15, he is good enough to be reached on an 12. We cannot pass on a QB for a defensive tackle. Unless a blue chip prospect on defense falls to us, we need a QB or an OT.

I was trying to give the Vikings credit by going with a value over a need. In my opinion, Gabbert's gimmick offense (playing exclusively out of a shotgun, making one designed read and then either throwing it there or tucking it and running on almost every single throw), perceived laziness (due to weight gain), and bad mechanics/footwork (and inconsistency placing the ball as a result) should hurt him in the draft process.

He could certainly end up being a good quarterback in the NFL, but he's the type of guy some teams are going to love (interestingly, I could see Buffalo shocking everyone and taking him #3 overall), and some teams are going to be turned off by. We've seen quarterback-needy teams pass on top prospects in the draft before, and I think this is a case of the Vikings maybe looking to address QB either later on or in free agency. The Dolphins are a team that might be desperate enough to reach on him, although for Tony Sparano's sake I hope they don't - he's going to take time to develop and early struggles will likely cost Sparano his job.

The NFL is no longer a league where coaches get three or four years to prove themselves and quarterbacks are given the proper amount of time to develop before being thrown into the fire (just ask Vince Young/Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow/etc.) The best fit for Gabbert would be a situation where a team has a long-term coach in place and he could wait until he was ready to step in, but it's tough because not many teams who have a long-term coach need a quarterback. Maybe a team like the Tennessee Titans would be interested now that Fisher has survived the Vince Young controversy, but I'm not sure how many more of Fisher's failures Adams can tolerate at this point.

Nalej
01-07-2011, 11:08 AM
This. Heyward is nice and all, but in this case I'd want Justin Houston even if it's a reach. Other than that this is a great Pats draft!

I disagree. I'm not reaching for one position when there's a stud at another position of need.
I'd be fine picking up J.Beal over one of those OL. Probably over Solder bc when Nick K comes back, we can kick him out to RT.
Resign Mankin and stick S.Wisk to RG. Grab another OT with the 64th pick (hopefully)

Monomach
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Castonzo to the Bears es bueno.

ElectricEye
01-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm on the Solder train with you and it's hard to dispute drafting a potentially dominating 3-4 DE with our first pick. Solder almost seems like a slam dunk if he's there at the end of the first/early second even. He does everything we ask linemen to do very well, just raw technically. That's something Dante Scarnecchia has helped far less talented linemen with again and again. High character guy too.

I'm sort of questioning the Stefen Wisniewski pick at this point though. Good fit scheme wise, but I really don't see him as much of an upgrade over Koppen. Similar players on tape. I'm fine sitting with Koppen if we can't find someone to handle NT's and strong interior linemen better. I'll have to go back and take some more looks at him, especially against larger linemen, but as of right now I'm more of an O'Dowd later in the second kind of guy.

thebow305
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Solid Miami pick.

BallerT1215
01-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I had some trouble with the pick, but here's my two cents: if the Bills want to operate out of a 3-4 defense as their base, they're not going to take Nick Fairley. He's a strict 4-3 under tackle. He's excellent at getting into the backfield and making plays. He's not a great run defender and playing in a 3-4 would be a huge waste of his talents similar to how a 3-4 team wouldn't have drafted Gerald McCoy at the top of the first round last year. I know his size makes it seem like he could play in either scheme, but his skill-set restricts him.

Bowers, on the other hand, is a fit for both a 3-4 and a 4-3. I know he's huge at 6'4", 280 or so, but he's athletic enough to play linebacker and potentially be a devastating rusher off the edge in a 3-4. I almost went with him in Buffalo, and I think I might do that in my next mock. Robert Quinn might be more cleanly projected to outside linebacker in a 3-4 than Bowers, could you see the Bills drafting him? Kind of tough to project his stock at this point since he missed the entire season, although last year he was a beast and his infraction doesn't seem to be a big deal to a lot of people.

As for Newton and Peterson - I can see it from the "this guy's a freak" perspective but I think Buffalo would be better suited to going in another direction. Cam Newton would be somewhat of a fit in Chan Gailey's offense, but I still see him as somewhat unlikely given Fitzpatrick's solid play this year. If there's no rookie salary cap, the Bills almost certainly won't draft him, because quarterbacks command much higher salaries than players at other positions. Regarding Peterson: they've invested too heavily on the defensive backfield in recent years and it hasn't really gotten them anywhere, plus this is a year that's extremely deep at cornerback and they could potentially land a top guy who's sliding later on. Ditto for wide receiver and A.J. Green. They'd have to think one of those guys was head and shoulders above the rest of the players to take them.

One guy I think would really flourish in Buffalo is Marcell Dareus. This guy was everywhere in the bowl game and really boosted his stock as a dominating prospect for both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses (with extensive experience in the 3-4, of course), which makes sense for the Bills if they stick with their hybrid defense. He might be considered a slight reach by some, but it's never a reach if you find a dominating player who fits what you want to do schematically. Coaches come and go so fast in the NFL that finding someone who's "scheme-proof" should be a huge move.

Well Thought out...Pretty much agree with everything.

GB12
01-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Absolutely terrible Packers mock. We will not take a RB in the first round. I know no one on this forum will give him any respect, but we have Ryan Grant. All we need is a complimentary back, and that can be had later in the draft. I wouldn't rule out RB as a possibility in the second, but sure as hell not in the first.

ChicagoBearsVet23
01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Harris, Solder, Wisniewski or Pouncey are all better picks for the Bears

vidae
01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Great KC pick. Exactly who I want.

Xiomera
01-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Would much rather have Akeem Ayers or Von Miller than Kerrigan for Detroit.