Round 2
1. WAS f/New England - from Carolina (2-14): Corey Luiget, DT, Illinois
2. GB f/Buffalo (4-12): DeMarcus Love, RT, Arkansas
3. Cincinnati (4-12): Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
4. Denver (4-12): Muhammed Wilkerson, DT, Temple
5. Cleveland (5-11): Marvin Austin, DL, North Carolina
6. PHI f/Arizona (5-11): Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
7. Tennessee (6-10): Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
8. Dallas (6-10): Orlando Franklin, OG, Miami Fl.
9. NE f/Washington (6-10): Jeremy Beal, LB, Oklahoma
10. Houston (6-10): Brandon Harris, Miami Fl.
11. Minnesota (6-10): Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware
12. Detroit (6-10): Benjamin Ijalana, OG, Villanova
13. San Francisco (6-10): Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
14. Denver - from Miami (7-9): Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
15. St. Louis (7-9): Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
16. Oakland (8-8): Mike Pouncey, C, Florida
17. Jacksonville (8-8): Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
18. San Diego (9-7): Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
19. Tampa Bay (10-6): Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma
20. New York Giants (10-6): Mason Foster, LB, Washington
21. Seattle* (7-9): Rodney Hudson, OL, Florida State
22. Indianapolis* (10-6): Danny Watkins, OT, Baylor
23. Philadelphia* (10-6): Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
24. MIA f/Kansas City* (10-6): Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois
25. Green Bay* (10-6): DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma
26. SD f/New York Jets* (11-5): Kelvin Sheppard, LB, LSU
27. Baltimore* (11-5): Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
28. New Orleans* (11-5): Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina
29. Chicago* (11-5): Greg Little, WR, North Carolina
30. Pittsburgh* (12-4): Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech
31. SEA f/Atlanta* (13-3): Jurrell Casey, DL, USC
32. New England* (14-2): Cecil Shorts III, WR, Mount Union

TitanHope
01-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Mallett is good, but I don't think we draft a DE unless Babin leaves in FA and it's BPA. OG/C is a huge problem, so in the 2nd I'd like DeCastro if you have him declaring or Pouncey. Brandon Harris would be really tempting there as well.

You have Sheard going twice anyway (Titans and Jacksonville).

shylo3716
01-07-2011, 05:11 AM
How do you value Mark Ingram as a 2nd rounder?

1funguy
01-07-2011, 06:30 AM
I could see this happening for the Chargers, particularly if the Cromartie pick turns into a 2nd.

aheineken
01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I can't see the Rams passing on their choice between Jones and Blackmon unless they address that position through Free Agency.

Legacy
01-07-2011, 08:51 AM
If the Bucs select a CB with Ryan Kerrigan on the board, I'd be extremely mad.

Your selections for the Bucs seem to indicate that their secondary is in need of help. While they could use depth at CB and safety, DE is by far the biggest need for the Bucs.

IwannatalktoSampson
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
good Lions picks. Approved my little friend

prock
01-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I would be in no way thrilled about this draft for the Vikings, especially because I think Delvin isn't worth a second rounder, but I have seen worse.

T-RICH49
01-07-2011, 09:51 AM
would prefer KC to stay put and take Floyd in that scenario

SimonRath
01-07-2011, 10:21 AM
you have the falcons trading up to draft a WR?.. really?

Poz51
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
3. Buffalo (4-12): Marcell Dareus, DL, Alabama
4. Cincinnati (4-12): Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
5. Arizona (5-11): Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6. Cleveland (5-11): A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
25. BUF f/Green Bay* (10-6): Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Not a fan of Dareus over Fairley, Peterson, or Green at this point, as I believe that they are better values, and top 5 picks. Not a fan of the trade up for Carimi, but it would not end my world, like say reaching for Maybin over, Orakpo and Oher...

derza222
01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
With all of those 5 techs still around and the Jets already having a high draft pick going to SD, why do you have them moving up?

fischbowl
01-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Please if you're going to give the Bills a defensive lineman, make it Fairley.

Nalej
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
17. New England - from Oakland (8-8) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
32. New England* (14-2): Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

What exactly is the trade b/w the Pats and Washington?
I'll say, I'm not a fan of an OT that early, due to money.
I rather the Pats use up some of that on Mankin and get an OL in the 2nd
CB is possible but I hope not with Bodden coming back and Butler making progress (as slow as humanly possible but still progress)
We need DE and OLB help... so the WR there is a terrible pick
Only WRs I'd like for the Pats to take would be one of the top 5 studs

1-R.Kerrigan OLB
1-D.Love OT/OG
2-M.Floyd/J.Baldwin WR
2-C.Ballard DE

That'd be a sexier Pats mock

thebow305
01-07-2011, 01:16 PM
For Miami, I'd LOVE that trade. The picks are just ok. Not a big Wisniewski fan, but it is a definite need on the interior of our OL, so I'd be ok with it. And LeShoure would be a rock solid pick, if not steal, at the end of the 2nd. Both Big Ten guys so it makes sense for us. Not bad, but I'd prefer a combo of Ingram/Floyd to give the offense a spark, and to give Vince some help if we do sign him.

gpngc
01-07-2011, 02:26 PM
How do you value Mark Ingram as a 2nd rounder?

1) Mocking a player to a specific draft slot doesn't mean I value him there. But I actually do so I'll explain.

2) He's a running back. And he's not the same caliber of a Peterson or CJ2K. That to me means 2nd round. Good chance he goes higher but in today's NFL I think GMs will start realizing that there's no reason to draft RBs high.

GatorsBullsFan
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Julio Jones is not even close to what the Jags will even have on there value board and since you have Jabaal Sheard going twice in the second round Im not sure what the Jags second pick is. Plus Gene wont even look at Sheard considering he has been arrested in the last year:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/19/jabaal-sheard-arrested-as_n_651219.html

NGSeiler
01-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Not a fan of the Rams' draft. Don't see how you could pass on Jones/Blackmon to take a guy whose best fit is probably a scheme you don't run. And I'm not a big fan of Jon Baldwin, though the value there is probably correct.

gpngc
01-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Gotta explain these things every year:

-Trades are trades. Use your imagination. I'm not going to say they move up 10 slots and gain a 3rd, 4th, and 7th because then people say "we don't have a 7th" or start arguing about the outdated value chart. If you moved down, assume you got fair compensation. That's how it always happens on draft day and there are always a lot of trades.

And trades aren't always explainable. Like, we don't know WHY certain teams move up (who were the jumping over?) because we don't know who was on the phone or who the other teams planned to pick.

-A mock draft (for me at least) is a prediction (sure to be mostly inaccurate) of which players teams will take. It is no reflection of my personal opinion of a prospect. For example, I would not draft Jake Locker in the top ten, but I think he'll go there.

-The NFL draft is not necessarily about plugging in your top needs in each consecutive round in order. It's just not. It's about building for the future. Teams do weird things every year whether it be taking Tyson Alualu in the top ten, completely ignoring perceived BIGGEST need, or drafting the same position multiple times. NEVER rule out a pick either. Anything can happen. There's a difference between the comment: "I would not like for that happen" and "that will never happen."

Also consider aging players and future free agents. And I don't mean guys that will retire next year. I mean guys that may be cut sometime down the road or their play will fall off. Good drafting teams prepare for the future by filling needs before they actually become needs. Having a guy on your team that can come in and supplant a guy who is a quality starter already (but may either fall off due to age, be cut, or walk via free agency) is a sharp angle to take in the draft and it happens a lot. And it's not always so obvious as Tony Gonzalez is old so let's mock him Kyle Rudolph to the Falcons. Or Champ Bailey. It might be something like Brandon Jacobs isn't old, but he's got a lot of tread on his tires, a contract that could allow us to cut ties, and his play will probably fall off within the next year or so - RB may not be a need right now, but we could still take one.

And all teams don't look to exclusively "fill needs" in the draft, especially when some players may not be ready to contribute early on. Instead, they look to build on strengths. For example, the Giants adding yet another DE, Colts adding Hughes for the turf, a run-blocking OG for a good running team, etc. etc.

Show me a mock draft that appeases every fanbase and puts players in their media-created perceived value slot and I'll show you a mock draft that's way, way off.

The NFL is changing....
-RBs should not (teams HAVE to catch on soon, right?) be selected high and none in this class should be picked in the first round (maybe Ingram).
-It's a passing league, so you can NEVER have enough pass rushers. DEs and OLBs who can get to the passer are extremely valuable.
-Many teams use three-WR sets a LOT. That means a nickel CB is basically a starter. So if you have two good starters that doesn't mean you won't take another CB. Jets and Saints last year.

Team comments:

Rams could definitely take a WR but I'm not sure it's really as much of a priority as people think. They have a bunch of decent young options and were missing their two best (Avery, Clayton) when Alexander had that nightmare game against Seattle. Darkhorse for them could be TE where I think an upgrade is easily possible.

Falcons need a WR badly. Their offense is stagnant when their running game doesn't work because teams can shade a safety on Roddy. Jenkins is terrible and Harry Douglas hasn't panned out either. Behind White and the aging Gonzo, their next leading receiver is a fullback I think.

Jets, Titans, and Bucs points are taken but addressed somewhat in my schpeal (made up a word) above.
-can never have too many DEs.
-it's a 3-wr league so you need 3 or 4 starting caliber CBs.
-you don't know who wants who so a trade-up for a player is always possible (plus I think teams will reallllly like Jordan).

Finally, I don't think the Fairley-Dareus debate is over. I just wanted to be a contrarian I guess.

Because it never actually goes down the way people think it's gonna go down at this point in the process. Never. Including the top picks.

gpngc
01-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Jags - Sheard point taken but how do you know where they'll place Jones on their value board?

Rams - I think Miller would make an outstanding 4-3 LB in Spags scheme. What he tried with Kiwi except Miller can actually do it.

GatorsBullsFan
01-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Jags - Sheard point taken but how do you know where they'll place Jones on their value board?

Rams - I think Miller would make an outstanding 4-3 LB in Spags scheme. What he tried with Kiwi except Miller can actually do it.

Because Gene Smith doesn't put WRs high on his value board

gpngc
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Because Gene Smith doesn't put WRs high on his value board

I see.

It's a good point.

But if a player of the caliber of Jones is sitting there, history is history, but it doesn't mean in this instance he'll pass on Jones. Who knows, he could have Jones ranked #5 overall or something.

Just because a GM has tendencies doesn't mean he won't buck the trend eventually.

And I think Jacksonville has really soured on their WR corps. I think the only guy they truly like is Mike Thomas, and he's a #2 at BEST. MSW is a free agent and I'm not sure they'll bring him back...

During his year-ending press conference Monday, owner Wayne Weaver notably left out impending free agent Mike Sims-Walker's name when discussing the Jaguars' young receiver corps.
Weaver did mention Mike Thomas, Jason Hill, and Jarett Dillard. Jags.com writer Vic Ketchman cautions to not read into it, but MSW's inconsistent week-to-week role, production, and contract status made the omission noticeable. Sims-Walker was also rumored to be on the trade block in October.

Even though he hasn't taken WRs high in the past, it doesn't mean he won't this year, especially seeing as it could be their most glaring hole.

With that said, point taken.

Legacy
01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
-it's a 3-wr league so you need 3 or 4 starting caliber CBs.
The Bucs have Aqib Talib, Ronde Barber, EJ Biggers and Myron Lewis. The only way I could see this being a possibility would be if Barber decides to retire, but I think he'll stick around for one more year.

wicket
01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I LOVE kerrigan in the first for the saints, Id prefer a guy like casey over sturdivant who should still be around for our early third rounder, but still, sturdy is not a bad pick.

And I do think Floyd will come back to school given recent things, although he admittedly hasnt said publicly he is coming back

Joecool
01-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I can't see the Rams passing on their choice between Jones and Blackmon unless they address that position through Free Agency.

Tbh avery and clayton should be back and i could see the rams going with ingram in the first and waiting intill later to get another wr.

bruschis4all
01-07-2011, 04:45 PM
17. New England - from Oakland (8-8) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
32. New England* (14-2): Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

What exactly is the trade b/w the Pats and Washington?
I'll say, I'm not a fan of an OT that early, due to money.
I rather the Pats use up some of that on Mankin and get an OL in the 2nd
CB is possible but I hope not with Bodden coming back and Butler making progress (as slow as humanly possible but still progress)
We need DE and OLB help... so the WR there is a terrible pick
Only WRs I'd like for the Pats to take would be one of the top 5 studs

1-R.Kerrigan OLB
1-D.Love OT/OG
2-M.Floyd/J.Baldwin WR
2-C.Ballard DE

That'd be a sexier Pats mock

They can keep their 2nd. I'll take their first in 2012. I'd rather have Kerrigan and M. Wilkerson at 1a and 1b. Get your pass rusher and two gap end. Trade 33. Say no to D. Love. Doesn't look the mold of a NE ol. Looks more like the road-grader type. If Light leave, I have no problem with Solder at 17 though.

SickwithIt1010
01-07-2011, 05:14 PM
so what did the eagles get for that trade of their 1st round pick?

jCut
01-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Though I don't know much about Wilkerson, I'd say that's a good Denver draft. I don't like the idea of drafting a TE that high, but Rudolph is legit.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
While I agree with the need and love Blackmon, trading up in the first and giving away early picks really isn't our style.

GB12
01-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Trade Carimi for Love? Hell no. I don't even care what the rest of the deal is, that's just dumb.

I mean if you had us trading down for Beal or someone it would make some sense, but why would we trade down to take an inferior tackle?

ChicagoBearsVet23
01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Give the Bears Pouncey in the 1st and Casey in the 2nd.

vidae
01-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I really don't see Pioli moving up. He'll stay at 22 and take the best player on the board.

GatorsBullsFan
01-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Are you going to edit it so Sheard isn't taken twice?