PDA

View Full Version : Patrick De'Mon Peterson

Jimmy
01-07-2011, 10:21 PM
The Speed De'Mon. Padlock Peterson. Patrick Peterson. Whatever you wanna call him. He's playing as we speak. Anyone else watching him? Impressions? Where does he go? Does he even declare?

I've been one his biggest supporters (albeit I think Dareus is a better pick at #2 for Denver providing he's a good kid and his interviews go well) but I haven't really been impressed tonight. I know the corner position really easy to nitpick on... but he really doesn't look like top 5 material tonight. I can't figure it out, is he playing too far off, or is he just getting flat out beat by Fuller? Fuller has at least 5 catches on the guy. Although, it's just one game, I suppose. On a positive note: he's the best corner in this draft, and he's undoubtedly top 10 material.

If this was the ONLY material on I had on this guy, and I was an nfl scout, I'd insist on a switch to safety. One game though.
--------------------------------------------------
Game Analysis

Patrick Peterson Vs. Jeff Fuller
Fuller Bio:(6'4, 215) 72 Rec, 1066 Yards, 12 TD to finish the year.

Texas A&M Drive Start at 7:55 1st Q
1. Ryan Tannehill pass complete to Jeff Fuller for 9 yards to the LSU 47.
(Peterson played 10 yards off the entire play, got beat on a comeback route. Stood no chance just by the play's design.)

2. Ryan Tannehill pass incomplete to Jeff Fuller.
(Peterson was covering Fuller on a comeback route, layed a hit on him on the sideline, would have been a tough catch, nice physicality)

Texas A&M Drive Start at 1:48 1nd Q
3. Ryan Tannehill pass complete to Jeff Fuller for 10 yards to the LSU 23 for a 1ST down.
(Peterson pressed him but bailed after a medium effort shove, got beat with a comeback route again. Had his hand up to swat it, showed okay presence and almost broke it up.)

2nd Quarter- Texas A&M at 10:13 (Drive start)

4. Ryan Tannehill pass complete to Jeff Fuller for 15 yards to the TexAM 40 for a 1ST down.
(I really can't tell you what happened here in terms of Peterson staying with his man. All I know is he lost him again. At the snap, PP was about 7 yards off. It was a playaction naked bootleg where the QB had quite a bit of time, enough time for Fuller to run yet again another comeback route 20 yards down the field. By the time he got to the ball, it was good for a 15 yard pickup. PP shows his strength on the tackle)

5. (The very next play) Ryan Tannehill pass complete to Jeff Fuller for 19 yards to the LSU 41 for a 1ST down.

(Peterson was up on Fuller, and starts backpedaling about a tenth of a second before the ball is snapped. I wouldn't attribute it to mastering the snap count, solely because Tannehill snaps the ball immediately after lifting his leg up in the shotgun. Peterson watched the quarterback the entire play, about 3 and a half yards off of Fuller. It was a pretty routine fly route, but Tannehill threw a GREAT pass to Fuller's outside shoulder, towards the sideline, and Fuller used his body to shield peterson. Essentially a modified comeback route. Peterson couldn't stop on a dime, change direction, and jump in front of the pass.

Texas A&M Drive start at 1:27
6. Ryan Tannehill pass incomplete to Jeff Fuller.
(Peterson was going to jam Fuller, kinda twitched around a bit just before the snap. He appeared to attempt jump the snap count and body up on fuller, realized he had mistimed, so bailed out of that and went into his backpedal. Fuller was running a fly again, and got on the outside of Peterson, who was on him the whole play. Tannehill knew he had nothing so he tried to do what he did on #5, but essentially threw the ball away, behind fuller.)

3rd Quarter- Texas A&M at 12:06
7. Ryan Tannehill pass complete to Jeff Fuller for 7 yards to the TexAM 29.
(Same thing, this time it was a 5 yard comeback. Not Peterson's fault, Fuller pushed off on him to get open. Peterson tackles him well.)

8. Ryan Tannehill pass complete to Jeff Fuller for 13 yards to the TexAM 49 for a 1ST down.
(Another comeback, Peterson was 10 yards off the ball. Stood 0 chance. Either terrible coaching or terrible misdiagnosis yet again by PP)

9. Ryan Tannehill pass complete to Jeff Fuller for 11 yards to the LSU 40 for a 1ST down.
(Press coverage without actual physical coverage. You know exactly the type of route fuller ran if you've been reading the previous 8 passes thrown his way. PP slipped, Fuller ducks out of bounds.

I still grade his performance a 3. He didn't give up anything huge, but got beat on one of the most elementary routes in football. Corners that are considered game changers (such as asante, bailey, revis) make their living off anticipating the comeback and breaking it up or even housing it for 7.

These are the only things you can take from this game:

Pros: He can tackle, he looks for the ball, he has semi-decent pre snap awareness
Cons: He got beat on the exact same route 7 times. He does not have elite quickness.

Fuller proved he is a round three candidate for next year, and will likely slide farther up.

xxxxxxxx
01-07-2011, 10:28 PM
He hasn't looked at his best tonight.. but my god I would empty my bank account to have him fall to Dallas at #9.

Nice nicknames, btw.

SenorGato
01-07-2011, 11:41 PM
With a strong combine I think he can end up my top player in this draft. It'd be weird to rank a CB that high, but w/e bro.

brasho
01-07-2011, 11:44 PM
I think he is still definitely worthy of top 5... but for the life of me... 220 lb CBs just scare me... that's too big, I just can't see that he will be able to change direction to stay with the quicker guys and I think if maintains that weight his best position might be S.

OaklandRaider56
01-08-2011, 01:48 AM
I think he is still definitely worthy of top 5... but for the life of me... 220 lb CBs just scare me... that's too big, I just can't see that he will be able to change direction to stay with the quicker guys and I think if maintains that weight his best position might be S.

If he's still fast I don't see why being 220 is a negative.

JPP90
01-08-2011, 01:57 AM

Asomugha at 210 is the closest thing I could find for a positive match for Peterson. Unless you think Cromartie is good. He may actually be onto something ...but I do like Peterson.

cajuncorey
01-08-2011, 12:16 PM

too much bulk... they were worried about taylor mays at safety because he was 230. mays ran a legitamate 4.24 at the combine but was taken away because of offcial times (but if you watchhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf9Vc-KAGCE&feature=related and time it with a stop watch he ran under 4.3 for sure). but anyways what im trying to say is straight line speed does not always translate to quickness and thats what they are worried about when talking about patrick peterson because he looks like a linebacker playing corner

FUNBUNCHER
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Taylor Mays problem was not his weight. He simply wasn't good in coverage and had poor ball instincts. If you've ever seen Mays, he really carries his weight well and doesn't seem to be as heavy as he is.

Former Raiders HOF corner Willie Brown played at a weight of 225# later in his career.

If you've got the hips and quickness, bodyweight is less of an issue.

I think PP can play a Cover 2 scheme and be an All Pro. And I still think he can lock up most WRs in the pros one on one.

Jimmy
01-08-2011, 01:58 PM
The two above me are both right. I still think a switch to safety is wise.

Full game analysis is up at the top of the thread, btw.

MI_Buckeye
01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
I think Peterson can be the next Ronnie Lott. Terrific college corner who makes an even better NFL safety.

TACKLE
01-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Methinks that LSU was probably running a lot of cover 3, hence Peterson's cushion and Texas A&M's consistent effort to run the 10-15 yard comebacks.