PDA

View Full Version : Will We Come to Like This Interior OL Class?

SenorGato
01-08-2011, 09:36 AM
So I was looking at the Senior Bowl invite thread and saw the list of interior OL guys going into it. I went in with the idea that this is a weak class stuck in the back of my head because week is the word commonly used to describe this class. I looked and I looked, and I was impressed. There are some pretty good names on that list:

James Carpenter from Alabama
Ben Ijalana from Villanova
Kris O'Dowd
John Moffit
Pouncey
Hudson
Fusco
Schilling

This looks like a solid group, and I think the first 5 in particular can end up going in the first 3 rounds. I'm particularly a fan of Carpenter, O'Dowd, and Moffitt who have prototype LG/C/LG size and skills respectively...and besides for maybe missing an inch or two in height Ijalana is a beast, and who doesn't like him?

I even think the OT group is underrated too...no one's a freakishly developed athlete like the D'Brick/Thomas/Long/Okung/Smith/Smith/etc. group over the past 5 years, but all are large, skilled, and healthy...plus the merely really good prospects like Albert and Monroe are fine players... then there's the fact that no one knows who will be throwing up what at the combine this year. Should be interesting...this is a really cloudy draft right now and there seems to be alot of room for guys to fly up and down the all powerful boards.

underscore
01-08-2011, 11:31 AM
And Wisniewski isn't even on that list.

PTPaQ
01-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree I love Ijalana, Boling and Moffitt as steals. I think Marcus Cannon is veryunderated, its not every year you find a 350 Left tackle that moves like him, who is also a very good football player. I also strongly beleive that Sherrod is a guy that has top 10 talent at the LT position but nobody wants to throw an 'elite' title at any of these linemen. Sherrod is going to be the real deal.

Babylon
01-08-2011, 11:42 AM
My guess is DeCastro will stay at Stanford barring some last minute mass exodus there, he would have made the group special i think.

SenorGato
01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I forgot about Clint Boling...I like him quite a bit too.

Well it was the Senior bowl invites, but I'm not as sure on him as I should be...I like the bigger type Cs and I'm not a Penn state fan for NFL players.

Anyone else a really big fan of James Carpenter? I've heard some say he can play LT, but I really think he can be a dominant LG.

Mr.Regular
01-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I like James Carpenter.. think he could play tackle, but you're right in that guard may be his best eventual fit.
All he did was produce...he may not be a physical freak, or stand out in the passing game, but he is an experienced starter that produced at a high level.. think he goes higher than expected.

MaxV
01-08-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm not a Penn state fan for NFL players.

I guess you're not a fan of Tamba Hali and Cameron Wake.

regoob2
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Jason Pinkston
Danny Watkins

Don Vito
01-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Bama's OL was nothing special this year. They lost a few guys of the NC squad and they really suffered. Carpenter was a solid player in his two years with the tide, but he wasn't anything special. He might end up starting for somebody at guard but I think his most likely future will be as a backup. He has some versatility and some ability but he isn't an NFL tackle, guard is certainly his best fit but I don't think he will be anything spectacular.

ElectricEye
01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
How did Pouncey look at center down the stretch? He had massive issues early, but did he get any better there? He really becomes a lot more valuable if he can stick there.

Da Big Harv
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Pouncey couldn't get the snapping part down all year he must of botched 45 snaps this year at least he was just awful.

But he is a big strong man who can really move well in space he is a tremendous guard prospect

princefielder28
01-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm a big fan of the interior depth this year...not necessarily top tier like an Alex Mack coming out of school but in rounds 3-5 there's gonna be several solid choices

ellsy82
01-11-2011, 01:43 AM

Wizzy's too damn light. If he gains some weight, I might consider him as a left guard on a weak line. Otherwise, he'll have to hold himself up while handing out towels in the lockerroom.

SenorGato
01-11-2011, 08:14 AM

Why, am I obligated to? Wake plays for the Dolphins so he can go f a goat, and Hali...well good for him.

The guy I think will be rising in the offseason might be Moffitt.

K Train
01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
i like pouncey and cannon for the steelers. i also like hudson, i just dont think hes a good fit for the steelers oline

killxswitch
01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Pouncey and Cannon are my two favorite guard prospects but I think teams might try Cannon at tackle first. I think a lot of people see 350 lbs., look at his height, and assume interior OL. #1, he can lose weight. #2, he moves REALLY well for a guy that size. I think both will be gone well before round 3.

There is some OT talk in here so I'll add that I think Carimi will eventually be looked at as the best OT of this draft.

K Train
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
i think carimi and sherrod are easily the best tackles. i like cannon at RT too, but i also think he has top guard potential

VoteLynnSwan
01-11-2011, 01:30 PM

Even if he did, he might dislike the following list more.

Courtney Brown
Michael Haynes
Jimmy Kennedy
Aaron Maybin

I don't know if you can really take credit for Wake since he really developed in the CFL. Couldn't even make an NFL practice squad out of college.

Those are just the Defensive linemen.

I don't have a horse in this race... but at this point it's a completely legitimate argument to stay away from Penn State players simply because they're from Penn State.

Black Bolt
01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
i like pouncey and cannon for the steelers. i also like hudson, i just dont think hes a good fit for the steelers oline

I'll say it again, Jake Kirkpatrick, TCU.

ChiFan24
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Bryant Browning impresses me whenever I see him.

katnip
01-11-2011, 08:53 PM
When do we ever come to like interior OL? Unless they become very very very good. Like nick mangold (the present).

Like. Who ever talks about them?

descendency
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
If Rodney Hudson could add and play like he does with another 25 lbs, he would be an all time great, but 285 doesn't cut it at guard. Supposedly, he's had problems with illnesses. That and he plays for Florida State, where the weight program is awful.

BuddyCHRIST
01-12-2011, 11:45 AM
If Rodney Hudson could add and play like he does with another 25 lbs, he would be an all time great, but 285 doesn't cut it at guard. Supposedly, he's had problems with illnesses. That and he plays for Florida State, where the weight program is awful.

Where the weight program use to be awful, its top notch starting last year. But he just has a smaller frame, he'll probably always be under 300 lbs. He projects more to Center in the pros anyways.

ThePudge
01-12-2011, 12:12 PM
At the Senior Bowl, keep your eyes/ears and open for news about Nebraska OG Keith Williams. I feel he's one of the most underrated players in this class at this point. He's big (6045e 312e) and is a powerful in-line run-blocker who uses strength and leverage to move & seal defenders. He does a good job getting to the next level but, like most big guys, he'll whiff from time to time. His strength certainly isn't his lateral movement, but his feet are adequate to play at the next level. He's pretty good in pass-protection overall, with a strong punch and decent hand technique. I'm glad he's getting the chance in Mobile as I was impressed each time I watched the Huskers this season.

SenorGato
01-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Even if he did, he might dislike the following list more.

Courtney Brown
Michael Haynes
Jimmy Kennedy
Aaron Maybin

I don't know if you can really take credit for Wake since he really developed in the CFL. Couldn't even make an NFL practice squad out of college.

Those are just the Defensive linemen.

I don't have a horse in this race... but at this point it's a completely legitimate argument to stay away from Penn State players simply because they're from Penn State.

Don't forget all non-Larry Johnson RBs...and was it Johnson or was it that ridiculous Chiefs O-line? Man I miss that OL...Roaf/Waters/Wieggmann/Shields ftw.

It's nothing against Penn State the school, it's just that it's very hard to love a guy as a prospect there. Even their best prospect in the past decade was just an undisciplined, unpolished NFL player who came and went fast...and I went back 11 years for that one.

ellsy82
01-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Sorry...what's to like?

thebow305
01-15-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm a BIG Kris O'Dowd fan. I feel like he's going to prove to be the best Center prospect in this draft by far.

As for Pouncey, the Senior Bowl will be HUGE for him.

ellsy82
01-15-2011, 01:50 AM
I'm a BIG Kris O'Dowd fan. I feel like he's going to prove to be the best Center prospect in this draft by far.

As for Pouncey, the Senior Bowl will be HUGE for him.

I was a huge O'Dowd fan before his injury. I'm also fairly certain that Pouncey is a guard only. He has no talent at center and never will. His only position is guard, and I'm not sure how successful he'll be with that in hte pros.

KCJ58
01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
uhh Colin Baxter C/Arizona, hello