PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Colts' Draft/Off-Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2

MaxV
01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Well, the season is over, unfortunately. Time for off-season.

What do we need in the draft?

dansaint
01-08-2011, 10:11 PM
O-Line help or someone in the secondary.

RCAChainGang
01-08-2011, 10:15 PM
We need a legitimate safety.
Offensive Tackle is a big need as well.

First round gimme a S
Then trenches and linebacker by BPA.

I'm not a guru by any means, but this seems like our issues.
We also need a freaking ST unit!!! We need to figure out that personel. We need some people that hold their lanes and aren't afraid of contact.
Our ST is ridiculous and has been for a long time.

Philliez01
01-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Can they just draft some elixir of health?

MaxV
01-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I would say:

1. RT - Diem might have helped in run situations, but he's well past his prime.
2. OG - Both spots I would say. Both Pollak and Devan are natural centers.
3. SS - Bob will probably never play a full season, Bullitt might leave in FA. I think this is a significant need. Come to think of it, FS could use some depth too.
4. LT - CJ has done an ok job, but no one will confuse him with a franchise LT.
5. UT - This isn't as big of a need as most make it out to be. Moala and Mathews are talented youngsters. Muir and Mookie can stuff the run. They got beat today, but I can live with the same rotation for next season. However, I would like a guy who can rush the passer out of the inside.

I like what I saw from Conner and Angerer this season. Both overrun plays at times, but something like that could be fixed with experience. I'm not against picking another LB, we could always use more depth, but the only way this would become a big need is if Brackett would leave via FA.

Maybe another talented RB also. Our backs get injured way too often and I always hold out hope to find another Edge (in his prime).

More depth at CB wouldn't hurt, although if everyone is healthy (too much to ask for, I know), we are fine there.

killxswitch
01-08-2011, 11:55 PM
With the way the Jets ran over us I know DT is going to appear to be a need. But what we really need is to re-sign Antonio Johnson, play him next to Moala and Mathews more, draft/sign another NT, and stop playing DEs at DT on 3rd downs. The only DTs I'd draft in the 1st are Fairley and Dareus, and in the 2nd I'd only take Paea and Allen Bailey. Marvin Austin in the 3rd would be excellent though.

To me OT, OG, SS, and WR are the top needs going into the offseason. If the Colts get an OT and OG then WR becomes less of a need.

I would like to see

Rd 1 - Gabe Carimi or Derek Sherrod
Rd 2 - Marcus Cannon, Orlando Franklin, Mike Pouncey, Ben Ijalana, DeAndre McDaniel, Mark Barron, Steven Paea, Allen Bailey
RD 3 - Marvin Austin, Leonard Hankerson, Tandon Doss, Jerrel Jernigan, Justin Boren

I think the Colts could make it easy on themselves by looking at free agency for OL help. Here's a list of guys I think would instantly improve the Colts OL and would not necessarily break the bank. Obviously some or all of them might be re-signed by their team before the Colts would get a chance.

RT Tyson Clabo (Atlanta)
RG Harvey Dahl (Atlanta)
LT Doug Free (Dallas)
LT Jared Gaither (Baltimore)
RG Marshal Yanda (Baltimore)
LG Logan Mankins (New England)
RG Davin Joseph (Tampa Bay)
C Ryan Kalil (Carolina)

colts_fan8818
01-09-2011, 01:20 AM
To me OT, OG, SS, and WR are the top needs going into the offseason. If the Colts get an OT and OG then WR becomes less of a need.
I agree that OT, OL, and SS are all needs but I don't quite understand why WR is a top need. We have Wayne, Garcon is pretty decent despite some issues with drops, Collie looked great all season until he was hurt, White looks like he has some potential. I do think that some more depth is needed but I wouldn't say it's a top need.

colts_fan8818
01-09-2011, 01:24 AM
I also think that this off season, we need to cut our losses and let go of Gonzo who I don't think has ever been healthy for us, and Bob Sanders who I don't think will ever be healthy for a full season.

killxswitch
01-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Unless AJ Green is available I don't think the Colts should look at WR in the 1st. More like the 2nd or probably 3rd. But for your list, I think Wayne will not be re-signed after next year, Collie's return after the concussions is not guaranteed, and Blair White is ok but not a starter at all. And as you say Gonzo is not guaranteed to ever do anything again for the team. The other positions are more important, I'd put it on par with DT in terms of need I guess.

I don't want a WR but I'd much rather have one than RB in the first.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I have little faith in Polian anymore. Look at his 1st round success lately it is pitiful. He is going to end up drafting a CB i the 1st and won't touch o-line till the 4th.

MaxV
01-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm ok with drafting either WR or RB, but not in the first 2 rounds.

If a disruptive, pass-rushing DT is there, that would be awesome. Talented OT who is a good all-around blocker would be a great addition also.

We don't necessarily need to pick a OG in the first round, a good one could be found later in the draft.

And yes, I think looking for a Free Agent OL might not be a bad idea. If they can find a guy who will upgrade our line, for the right price, I think Polian needs to consider him.

UKfan
01-09-2011, 03:00 PM
OL definitely needs addressing more than once in the draft IMO. Another CB and SS would be nice, and I still think we need a DT, even if only for depth. Losing one player in Mookie can't be allowed to hurt our run stuffing like it did last night

jared3
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I am going to keep it short and pithy. The biggest weakness on the Colts is the OL. They absolutely can't run block. I like OT Gabe Carimi from Wisconsin in the 1st round. I would also be okay with OT DeMarcus Love from Arkansas as well.

I think SS Bob Sanders is done as a Colt. I really like undersized SS Ahmad Black from Florida. He is a solid tackler, good in coverage, and he looked good in Florida's bowl game.

In the third I want another O-lineman. OG John Moffitt fro Wisconsin was a good left guard for the Badgers. OT Lee Ziemba from Auburn is a solid player as well. The center Kristofer O'Dowd from SC is solid too.

1st: OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
2nd: SS Ahmad Black, Florida
3rd: OG Jon Moffitt, Wisconsin

MaxV
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM
BTW, do you guys agree with me that the worst player for the Colts yesterday was Jeff Satuday?

He was getting pushed around like a rug doll. He's finished.

However I didn't put Center as a position of need because I believe that we already have Saturday's replacement on the roster.

Both Pollak and Devan are natural Center. We also have Richard and McClendon.

Philliez01
01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
BTW, do you guys agree with me that the worst player for the Colts yesterday was Jeff Satuday?

He was getting pushed around like a rug doll. He's finished.

However I didn't put Center as a position of need because I believe that we already have Saturday's replacement on the roster.

Both Pollak and Devan are natural Center. We also have Richard and McClendon.

Sione Pouha (who I wanted at one point for Indy) manhandled him. He's a good guy (Saturday) but that looked to me like his time is over. Great career, good guy, hope to see him around in some capacity again.

I could go without drafting a tailback honestly. I would rather have the OL improve and hope that the running game follows. I can live with Brown/James/etc. as opposed to Linkenbach and the rest.

I just want OT, SS, a backup FS, OG and a late-round RB.

bigbuc
01-10-2011, 12:13 AM
I was going to ask you guys what do you think about Mike Pouncey? Saturday has not looked good and will be 36 years old. Mike Pouncey is grading out almost like his bro who was very good for Pitt this year. Everyone thinks you guys will draft a OT but I think you guys might draft a C.

MaxV
01-10-2011, 08:16 AM
I was going to ask you guys what do you think about Mike Pouncey? Saturday has not looked good and will be 36 years old. Mike Pouncey is grading out almost like his bro who was very good for Pitt this year. Everyone thinks you guys will draft a OT but I think you guys might draft a C.

As I've mentioned earlier, I think Colts already have a replacement for Saturday on the roster.

Both of the starting OGs, Pollak and Devan, are natural Centers really. I think both would be better off there. Plus Colts also have Jacques McClendon and Jamey Richard, 2 guys that can play that position as well.

But Pouncey could project at Guard as well. I'm not against drafting him, but not in the 1st round.

killxswitch
01-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Mike Pouncey is not his brother. He is not going to play center in the NFL. I would take him at guard in a heartbeat though. Pollak can play center. Saturday is DONE.

Best draft ever would be Carimi in the 1st and Pouncey in the 2nd.

bigbuc
01-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Mike Pouncey is not his brother. He is not going to play center in the NFL. I would take him at guard in a heartbeat though. Pollak can play center. Saturday is DONE.

Best draft ever would be Carimi in the 1st and Pouncey in the 2nd.

You're right he's not his brother. But I think you guys are grading out Pouncey a little low. I think he ends up anywhere from 22 to 32.

MaxV
01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Two DTs that intrigue me are Christian Ballard and Drake Nevis.

Both are athletic UT prospects that I think could excel in our scheme.

killxswitch
01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
You're right he's not his brother. But I think you guys are grading out Pouncey a little low. I think he ends up anywhere from 22 to 32.

I think he will probably go late first or early second. Too many other good players at other positions to select a guard any earlier than that.

Did any of you hear Polian's radio show tonight? I couldn't take more than a few minutes but that blowhard answered a question about drafting at 22 and the possibility of taking an OT.

He said if they did take an OT it would be someone that wouldn't play much his first year. He would sit and learn and hopefully contribute in year 2, like Fili Moala. WTF kind of attitude is this? He has no clue who will be available then or what they are capable of. He especially doesn't know since he sucks at drafting OLmen, but even people who are good at it don't know what this or that OLman will be capable of in his first year.

Why would you punt the first year of a first round pick on principle, without even knowing how good he can or can't be in his rookie year? This guy is seriously a ******* loser and I am sick of his ********. He is wasting Manning's time and our time ******* around with the roster with projects that never see the field (Brown, Hughes, etc) while the OL is garbage for 2+ years. Who would this rookie OT learn from Polian? I don't want him learning **** from the losers that started this year. We don't need impact players 2-3 years from now, we need them NOW.

Best GM in the game my ass. He lucked into picking Manning in '98 and has ridden that to an undeserved reputation and his lacking talent assessment skills have shown in the last 3-4 drafts. He hasn't had a good first round pick since Addai in '06.

Seamus2602
01-11-2011, 07:55 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2yzn4o0.jpg

Indianapolis Colts - Offseason Offensive Needs

Quarterback: Even as I write this it sounds a bit silly. The biggest need of the Indianapolis Colts this offseason is at Quarterback. Peyton Manning is not under contract in 2011. The team is going to resign him and Quarterback will turn from the biggest need in the history of football to being a minor depth issue. The team could do with upgrading the depth at Quarterback as Curtis Painter is useless. But they wonít, especially as the team has only 6 picks this year and, after resigning Manning and the introduction of a 2011 Salary Cap, probably has only around $6 or $7 Million in cap space after signing draft picks.

Running Back: The Colts arrive at a bit of a crossroads when it comes to the Running Back position. Currently only Donald Brown, Baby J and Devin Moore are tenured for next season. Joseph Addai, Mike Hart and Dom Rhodes are all Free Agents this Offseason. The major decision will be with the resigning of Joseph Addai. Addai will probably be the 2nd Free Agent Running Back this Offseason, after DeAngelo Williams. Demand will be high for him, especially from passing teams, as he is a Pro Bowler, a Superbowl winner, the top blocking back in the league and one of the top pass catching backs in the league. He will probably command 4-5 years at $20-25 Million. I would question whether or not he is worth it. The major problem is that Donald Brown has been regularly injured and inconsistent. The Colts need to resign or replace two of the three Free Agents. Mike Hart is only a RFA and should be relatively easily resigned. If Addai isnít resigned the Colts need to look at bringing in a later round pick to replace him.

Wide Receiver: I donít believe Wide Receiver is a major area of need. The Colts had severe injury issues at Receiver this year, a crisis that isnít likely to occur regularly. All six of our tenured Receivers will be back with the team in 2011 and as such there are no immediate needs here. Looking to the future Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon and Anthony Gonzalezís contracts are all up at the end of next season. Garcon is due for a huge pay rise, Gonzo canít stay healthy and Reggie wonít be the youngest in the world so the team could look at shoring up the Receiving corps due to the likelihood that at least one and possibly more of those three will leave next season. If one of the elite Receiver prospects drops to the Colts at #22 or one of the better Receivers is still available at #53 I think Polian will definitely consider pulling the trigger.

Tight End: The team is solid at Tight End. We have our starter, who is amongst the elite Tight Ends in the league, a good young blocking Tight End in Eldridge, while Jacob Tamme has shown that he can be as effective a backup Tight End as any backup in the league. Clarkís return to fitness will also allow Tamme to shore up our pathetic Special Teams unit.

Offensive Tackle: This is one of the areas of the team that the team needs to be brave and bold about. The team is solid at depth, in my opinion, at Tackle. Linkenbach is never going to be a starter but is an effective swing Tackle, providing depth at both Left and Right Tackle. That is where the good bit ends. Charlie Johnson is in the bottom 10 Left Tackle starters in the League and is also a Free Agent. He is going to want starter money he sure as hell isnít worth it. He needs to be replaced. This, if there is value at #22, should be the Colts first round pick. The second problem is that Ryan Diem has regressed from one of the top Right Tackles in the NFL to being one of the worst starting linemen in the NFL. He is slow, not great against speed rushers, prone to penalties and a liability in run blocking. He is also getting paid a significant amount of money. Right Tackle needs to be upgraded and Ryan Diem needs to be cut.

Offensive Guard: The Colts are again solid at depth at Guard with Thomas, Richard and McClendon, while Linkenbach can also backup at Guard. The major development will be at starter as well. Mike Pollak has improved this year but I think he is much more suited to Center, a position where the incumbent starter is becoming more a liability than an asset. Even if Saturday is retained at Center, and Pollak at Guard, the Colts could do with a major upgrade over Kyle DeVan.

Center: Similar to the other positions on the line the depth here is surprisingly good. Both Jamey Richard and Jacques McClendon can backup at Center, as can either of the two current starters at Guard. As with the rest of the line a new starter is needed. Saturday is a major liability. He has regressed somewhat in pass protection and has all but disappeared in run blocking. He was annihilated against the Jets, an even that happens anytime he goes up against a Nose Tackle. He needs to be replaced. The replacement could come from Mike Pollak. If this is the case the team needs to bring in a replacement for Pollak at Guard. If they do retain Pollak at Guard they will need to draft Saturday a new replacement in the earlier rounds of the draft.

MaxV
01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Great write-up, Seamus. I will only disagree with drafting a Center in the early rounds.

Even if Pollak isn't Saturday's replacement, I think Devan or McClendon could be.

Seamus2602
01-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Great write-up, Seamus. I will only disagree with drafting a Center in the early rounds.

Even if Pollak isn't Saturday's replacement, I think Devan or McClendon could be.

I haven't seen enough of McClendon to determine whether or not he can start. If DeVan moves to Center then we are going to need to replace DeVan at Guard. So I think we should definately address the Interior Line in the early rounds if not just Center specifically.

killxswitch
01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Great post Seamus. I agree with all of it. I would not mind picking OT at 22 and then trading up into the early 2nd round for a guard like Pouncey or Cannon. I am also intrigued by Ben Ijalana, he may be available mid or late 2nd round. I would like Carimi in the 1st, I've been saying that for months and he's done nothing to change my opinion.

Come to think of it Moffitt, the Wisconsin LG, might not be a bad 3rd rounder.

Seamus2602
01-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Great post Seamus. I agree with all of it. I would not mind picking OT at 22 and then trading up into the early 2nd round for a guard like Pouncey or Cannon. I am also intrigued by Ben Ijalana, he may be available mid or late 2nd round. I would like Carimi in the 1st, I've been saying that for months and he's done nothing to change my opinion.

Come to think of it Moffitt, the Wisconsin LG, might not be a bad 3rd rounder.

I have to admit I haven't looked a fierce amount at prospects yet. I'll do that over the next couple of months or so but definately there are options for the team to make in the early rounds. The team could legitametly in my opinion replace 4 of the 5 starters on the Offensive Line. We aren't going to get all of them in the draft so a case could be made for a major Free Agent signing. Looking at the numbers the only way the Colts could do that would be by cutting Diem or Saturday (I personally wouldn't [cheers Max] disagree with cutting both).

MaxV
01-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I have to admit I haven't looked a fierce amount at prospects yet. I'll do that over the next couple of months or so but definately there are options for the team to make in the early rounds. The team could legitametly in my opinion replace 4 of the 5 starters on the Offensive Line. We aren't going to get all of them in the draft so a case could be made for a major Free Agent signing. Looking at the numbers the only way the Colts could do that would be by cutting Diem or Saturday (I personally would disagree with cutting both).

Why? They are both finished. Is their experience really all THAT valuable if they can't block?

I mean, I understand that we can't just replace 4 starters with rookies, but if we can find an affordable Free Agent or 2.

I wouldn't be against having 2 rookie starters, as long as they are upgrades.

Seamus2602
01-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Why? They are both finished. Is their experience really all THAT valuable if they can't block?

I mean, I understand that we can't just replace 4 starters with rookies, but if we can find an affordable Free Agent or 2.

I wouldn't be against having 2 rookie starters, as long as they are upgrades.

Its what I get for typing too fast. I have edited it to clear it up.

killxswitch
01-11-2011, 09:20 AM
The last 2 years (at least) have to have proven that Diem and Saturday are done. They were great at their positions the middle of the last decade but since 2008 their play has slipped. Diem's contract is the biggest of any OLman on the team and he is the worst starter on the whole line. Saturday has just gotten too old and cannot handle strong defensive linemen anymore. Put Pollak at C and a free agent/rookie at RT. Or re-sign C Johnson for a reasonable contract and put him at RT. But both vets need to be let go. There's no room for sentiment on a team that should threaten to win it all every season.

Seamus2602
01-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Thats the thing. The year we won the Superbowl we had one of the best lines in football. Glenn - Lilja - Saturday - Scott - Diem. There isn't a single player on the Colts line today who is better than his equivalent in 2006. Saturday is done, Diem is done. I feel that CJ would cost too much to resign. But if we cut Diem and Saturday it would give us the money to sign one of the top Free Agent Linemen like Nicks or Gaither.

killxswitch
01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Thats the thing. The year we won the Superbowl we had one of the best lines in football. Glenn - Lilja - Saturday - Scott - Diem. There isn't a single player on the Colts line today who is better than his equivalent in 2006. Saturday is done, Diem is done. I feel that CJ would cost too much to resign. But if we cut Diem and Saturday it would give us the money to sign one of the top Free Agent Linemen like Nicks or Gaither.

I think Diem is gone for sure. Saturday I think they might keep around which will be a mistake. I thought Nicks had already been re-signed but that would be an incredible pick up. I would be happy even with a lesser guard signing like Davin Joseph from Tampa Bay or Marshal Yanda from Baltimore. Gaither would of course also be a great pick up as the LT of the future.

MaxV
01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I have a bad feeling that they'll give CJ an extension.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
According to Polian if the Colts take an offensive or defensive lineman, that player will not make impact right away. The players will be like Fili Moala. Woo i just get the feeling we won't address the lines till after the 1st round.

Philliez01
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I am all on the Ben Ijalana train. He went to my high school, was on my track team and is a great dude. Was very under the radar through much of his career sans his SR year where he got some looks. He really is a hard worker, very smart guy and would be an awesome addition.

Sorry for the fan-boying but it's cool to know someone who'll be in the NFL.......

killxswitch
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
According to Polian if the Colts take an offensive or defensive lineman, that player will not make impact right away. The players will be like Fili Moala. Woo i just get the feeling we won't address the lines till after the 1st round.

I posted that earlier. I don't think I really hate anybody but sometimes I think I might hate him.

RagingColt
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Like others, I get the sinking feeling that Polian is going to screw this draft up as well. We need new players at LT, RT, C and one guard spot.

Other areas of concern draft wise:

I'd also like to bring up the CB position. For whatever reason, both Powers and Hayden seem more injury prone than other corners. We traded a draft pic for Tyrone from teh Skins and I think he could be an adequate #3 corner with Lacey taking snaps as a #4/dime. That said, more depth at corner wouldn't help. Thomas that we drafted in the 3rd from last year from USC should be in the mix, but a later round pic focusing on CB would be a welcome site. Still need more depth at safety as well. Bobzilla will be 30 years old at the start of the 2011 season and hasn't played in 2+ years effectively. Bullit is a FA and Silvia is a special teamer at best.

We also need another RB -a shifty speedy guy who can turn screens and dump passes into 1st down gains.

Wildwood
01-13-2011, 01:15 AM
My Mock Draft for fun. I like Paea and Ijalana alot.

1 DT Stephen Paea - Oregon State (run stopper - prevent 10min+ drives)
2 OG Ben Ijalana - Villanova (protect QB and good run blocker)
3 OT Marcus Gilbert - Florida (protect the blind side)
4 DT Phil Taylor - Baylor (big heavy run stopper)
5 SS Joe Lefeged - Rutgers (fast safety with good size)
6 WR Ryan Whalen - Stanford (good dependable wideout)
7 CB Cortez Allen - The Citadel (good speed)

killxswitch
01-13-2011, 09:01 AM
If the draft turned out like that I wouldn't mind at all.

MaxV
01-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I like that draft, Wildwood.

I was watching Phil Taylor at Penn State his freshman year and I thought that he would be a 1st round pick eventually. He looked very quick for a 330lbs guy. As a matter of fact, I actually thought that he should use his power more. Despite his size, he actually looked more comfortable going around the blocker rather then through him.

I haven't seen him lately though, so I can't really comment on what kind of a prospect he is now.

With that being said, I'm not sure Colts need to draft two DTs. Moala and Mathews showed a lot of promise this season and I believe both of them still have plenty of upside. We also have Muir and Johnson.

If Colts were to get Paea, I think they would be in good shape at that position.

Maybe another talented LB, OL or RB with that pick.

RCAChainGang
01-15-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm not even impressed all that much with Bullit. I mean he is solid, but he isn't a star. I think an upgrade at the safety position could really shore up our run defense. I don't get the feeling that Bob Sanders is ever going to be able to stay healthy. I love the guy, but sometimes you got to cut your losses.

What do you guys think?

MaxV
01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Safety position is a top 5 need for us. As a matter of fact, it might be a bigger need then DT. Mathews and Moala have shown a lot of promise and if they continue to develop, we could be in good shape here.

As far as safety goes, even if either Sanders or Bullitt come back healthy, we still have little depth.

It would be great if both come back healthy, but we wouldn't be able to afford to keep both once Melvin hits Free Agency.

killxswitch
01-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Renegotiate Sanders contract or cut him. It sucks but he cannot stay healthy. Also, Bullitt is not good enough to be a starter IMO.

Morton
01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Renegotiate Sanders contract or cut him. It sucks but he cannot stay healthy. Also, Bullitt is not good enough to be a starter IMO.

The last thing you want, though, is Sanders magically healing up after being cut and playing like a Pro Bowler next year for, say, the Texans, or the Patriots.

I say keep him on the roster for as long as possible - he's too valuable (in terms of potential) to let go just yet.

RagingColt
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Sanders hasn't played for a meaningful time period in over 2.5 seasons. Guess he has a bunch of potential then! lol Basically he hasn't contributed a great deal to our defense since the '07 season. Sure, we could ask him to cut his base salary and play for incentives but he'll be 30 years old at the start of the '11 season. Makes little sense to me to keep Sanders at his current salary. He makes way too much $ to keep around around and risk him getting hurt. Bullit is solid as a 2nd string player and might start for a handful of teams with weak players. He'll live on in the hearts of all Colts fans for making the tackle on the 4th and 2 play last year vs. the Pats.

Francisco is a special teamer at best imv. We need to draft a safety somewhere in the draft, perhaps 4th or 5th round.

colts_fan8818
01-17-2011, 06:55 PM
The last thing you want, though, is Sanders magically healing up after being cut and playing like a Pro Bowler next year for, say, the Texans, or the Patriots.

I say keep him on the roster for as long as possible - he's too valuable (in terms of potential) to let go just yet.

That's a terrible idea. Sanders will never be healthy again, and if he is there is no guarantee that he will be playing at his previous level. If he doesn't take a pay cut, he needs to be cut. I think the risk involved in letting him go is minimal.

killxswitch
01-18-2011, 01:39 PM
The Colts cut ties with RB coach Gene Huey today for some reason. This is the guy that coached Marshall Faulk and Edge. If I hear some nonsense from Polian about this being a move "to improve the run game" I will be pissed. Hopefully there is other reasoning behind it that we just don't/can't know about.

MaxV
01-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Do we still have the same Special Team's coach?

killxswitch
01-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Of course.

MaxV
01-18-2011, 07:15 PM
And I was beginning to worry.

Watch, another 1st round RB this year.

killxswitch
01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Mark Whatshisname. I'm blanking. But yeah, it would not surprise me. It is painfully obvious to me that OL is the problem but I guess I just don't have the secret football knowledge Bill Polian has.

RagingColt
01-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Polian fires Huey as a scapegoat for the poor running game despite Polian knowing jack squat about drafting O-Line players and neglecting to fill the need successfully. Yeah, that all makes sense.

It's time for Irsay to part ways with the whole Polian family and find a new GM to run the team. I think the entire regime has peaked. So sad to see Polian waste picsks and the remaining years Manning has left trying to fill the holes on the O-Line with low round draft picks and other scrubs. More than ever, I believe the Colts will fail to win another SB with Manning as QB with Polian 1 or 2 in charge.

Seamus2602
01-19-2011, 11:14 AM

One doesn't keep a player just to stop his opponents using him. If Bob Sanders doesn't contribute anything to the Colts I don't think the team should be paying him over 5 million dollars just to stop the rest of the League using him.

Seamus2602
01-19-2011, 11:15 AM

Indianapolis Colts - Offseason Defensive Needs

Defensive End: The Colts are sound at starter with both Freeney and Mathis being in the Top 5 4-3 Defensive Ends in the league. An issue is potentially at depth. While I fully expect Jerry Hughes to step up in his second season (as is with most Rookie Defensive Ends in general) both Keyunta Dawson and Eric Foster (RFA) are Free Agents. At least one of them will have to resigned or replaced. If they don’t resign Dawson or tender Foster then they will need to address the depth at Defensive End in the later ends of the draft.

Defensive Tackle: Defensive Tackle is a major area of need for the Colts for a number of reasons. Two of the main players in the rotation, Mookie Johnson and Dan Muir, are both Free Agents. The second and arguably far more vital reason is that the Colts need to upgrade the interior of the line. I like the improvements that Fili Moala made in his second season. I also like the impact that Rookie Ricardo Matthews had in the line rotation and feel he could be a valuable piece of the rotation. While both Mookie and Dan Muir will be decent rotational players neither are starting caliber Defensive Tackles. At least one of the two needs to be resigned and the other needs to be replaced, preferably by taking a 3-Technique within the first two rounds of the draft. The Defensive Line needs to be able to get consistent pressure from the interior 2 rushers.

Weakside Linebacker: The big Offseason story at Linebacker for the Colts this year will be that Clint Session, easily the team’s top linebacker and probably their 4th best defender over the last 2 or so years, is a Free Agent. Session missed 11 games this season, with Conner playing 9 of those games. Conner did very well for a Rookie linebacker. He made some Rookie mistakes but what Rookie Linebackers don’t. He did well enough that the team will probably not resign Clint Session. By not resigning Session, and by promoting Conner to full time starter, the team will need to bring in a replacement, specifically one who can play special teams.

Middle Linebacker: Middle Linebacker isn’t a problem for the Colts. They have one of the top Middle Linebackers in the division in Brackett. If Brackett goes down Angerer can kick in from SAM Linebacker and Philip Wheeler can replace him. The team could sign or draft another linebacker to both help and special teams and provide backup if two of the three (Brackett, Angerer or Wheeler) go down.

Strongside Linebacker: Pat Angerer was a surprise selection for most Colts fans last year. The team seemed solid at all three Linebacker positions and had just signed Gary Brackett to a 5 year extension. The injuries to Brackett forced Angerer into the lineup and he played well enough that by the time Brackett returned Angerer had replaced Wheeler as a starter. Angerer played very well this season. He, liked Conner, made some Rookie mistakes in coverage but he will improve with experience. Between Angerer and Wheeler the team is solid at Strongside Linebacker, but could sign or draft another linebacker to both help and special teams and provide backup if two of the three (Brackett, Angerer or Wheeler) get injured.

Cornerback: The team was decimated at Cornerback in 2010, at one stage having two healthy cornerbacks (Lacey and Brown). The team has the top Cornerback in the division in Jerraud Powers, Hayden is a good starter when healthy, Tryon impressed me when pressed into action this season, Lacey isn’t good enough to start outside but he’s a damn good Dime Cornerback, while Brown played well enough for an undrafted Rookie to be the team’s fifth choice Corner. The good news is that the team’s third round pick from last year is the team’s sixth Cornerback on the depth chart. All six are tenured for the 2011 season. When healthy we have the best unit in the division and one of the better units in the league and we have tried and tested depth. I don’t believe the team should try to prepare for as bad an injury crisis as we had this year, especially when other areas of the team need work.

Free Safety: Antoine Bethea has emerged as one of the Safeties in the league over the last few years and is probably top of that second tier (after Reed and Polamalu) of Safeties. The team could bring in some Safety depth to help with Special Teams and backup Bethea. The team could resign Aaron Francisco with this in mind.

Strong Safety: Bob Sanders is done. I would say stick a fork in him but that may actually cripple him. Also, unfortunately, Melvin Bullitt spent most of last season on IR and is also a Free Agent. The next 3 Safeties on the depth chart are also Free Agents. Bullitt is decent in run support but is a bit of a liability in pass coverage. The team could use significant investment in Strong Safety both at starter and depth. It is time to move on from a starter who has only played in more than six games twice.

Seamus2602
01-19-2011, 11:20 AM
It's time for Irsay to part ways with the whole Polian family and find a new GM to run the team. I think the entire regime has peaked. So sad to see Polian waste picsks and the remaining years Manning has left trying to fill the holes on the O-Line with low round draft picks and other scrubs. More than ever, I believe the Colts will fail to win another SB with Manning as QB with Polian 1 or 2 in charge.

Jim Irsay is going to retire as team owner in the next five years and be replaced by his daughter. He isn't going to make radical changes to the front office in that time. If there is one thing that people in Irsay's position are more afraid of than having the wrong guy for the job is the instability of replacing him.

MaxV
01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Another great write-up, Seamus2602.

I really hope Colts resign Eric Foster (Scotty will probably be screaming for the Giants to sign him). He's a not a starter, but he provides a lot of energy off the bench as a situational player. If used right (hasn't always been the case) he could be a valuable player.

As far as Session goes, he can be a very good LB, but he still overruns plays a bit too often. I would say that Brackett is our 4th best defensive player (maybe even 3rd). He is a more consistent player.

I would be open to resigning Session, but I don't think we should break the bank.

I agree on the need of the pass-rushing 3-tech DT. This has been a need for the Colts ever since Ellis Johnson left a decade ago. Maybe if Moala or Mathews improve their pass-rushing moves, both have the athletic ability.

Now on to Sanders...Ugh...I don't know what to say. My heart says give him one more year, my head says he's finished. I think Polian will give him one more shot. But Colts should bring another talented SS.

Seamus2602
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I would say that Brackett is more consistent than Session but I would say that Session is more of a playmaker than Brackett. Session will over persue at times but that is a feature of the offense. He is more of a big play type of guy. He will make tackles at the line, in the backfield, he will get sacks, interceptions etc.

Seamus2602
01-19-2011, 11:52 AM

Indianapolis Colts - Offseason Special Teams Needs

Placekicker: The team has two ways to go here. Vinatieri isn’t a young man. He is starting to struggle to kick a field goal over 50 yards. On the other hand if there is a 40+ field goal, with 2 seconds to go, with the team 2 points down in the Superbowl, in a hurricane, I’m backing Vinatieri to split the uprights. Kickers also have a longer shelf life than other people so he could have 3 or 4 years left in him. I think they should resign Vinatieri.

Punter: Despite his attempts to give himself a combination of hyperthermia and a jail sentence, McAfee is a great, young punter and kickoff specialist. There is no need here.

Special Teams: Blair White did a decent job on punt returns but not spectacular, while Dominic Rhodes wasn’t great on Kick Returns and is a Free Agent. The team has never given much effort into both kick returners and coverage units. Bill Polian called out the Special Teams after the loss to the Jets so, while not being surprised if the Colts don’t upgrade it in any way, shape or form, getting a number of key special teams players could be high on the teams list, especially at the Kick Returner position.

killxswitch
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Good overall posts Seamus. I have a few comments.

- DT - Unless Dareus, Fairley, or possibly Paea is available at the 22nd pick I think the Colts should look for depth in the draft or at free agency. The DT class this year is not great. I would like the Colts to re-sign A Johnson. Muir can walk. Johnson plays the nose well in this 4-3 when he's healthy. Run defense improved significantly when he returned from injury this past season. Moala improved and I don't think he's done. Mathews looks like a steal between the 3 of them I think that is a pretty good core group of guys at DT. An additional guy to back up Mookie would be a good move, someone in the Muir mold but better. Because of the Colts scheme and coaching I don't think a high-ish draft choice is a wise move unless it is a very special player.

- Linebacker - I would really like to get a thumper to play SAM. A strong, instinctive guy that can shed blocks and set the edge, a real workhorse. Angerer did alright on the strong side but his future is at MLB and he needs serious work in coverage. I like Conner a lot. I was not impressed with Brackett this year. It may have been injury related but I thought he regressed in coverage and played pretty undisciplined against the run. Really I think we have an awkward situation at LB. I am ok with letting Session go if he can get more $ elsewhere, I think Conner did a very good job in his place. I don't like any of our players at LB. And at MLB we've got Brackett who I think is past his prime, and Angerer who has significant playing time but is suspect as a coverage LB right now. We have a bunch of 4-3 MLBs and WLBs and no real SLBs. And Wheeler, who doesn't really play any position well.

- Safety - Obviously Bethea is the present and future at FS. Great player especially when he has competent DBs playing with him. His play at times dipped this season but I attribute that to him having to do too much and playing with scrubs next to him. As for SS, I would like Sanders to restructure. Low-ball contract with incentives. But draft a guy that can start. Sanders agent acknowledged that the request is coming and acted like it was pretty reasonable to expect it. I don't think they should keep him just in case he could play well somewhere else. I think they should keep him so they possibly get a fantastic player at a cheap price. If he can stay healthy, great! He's a top SS in the NFL. If he can't, but he's getting the vet minimum, then who cares? Plug in the guy you just drafted. Maybe by then he'll have learned a thing or two about how to play from Bob (minus the injuries of course). If you can get Bob cheap it doesn't make sense to cut him, IMO. But either way, SS is a huge need in this draft.

- CB - I like who we have but the scheme calls for them to help in run support and I think that will hurt their chances of staying healthy. I hope they change the scheme a bit more than anything so our corners can be corners and not corner/safety hybrids. Powers, Hayden, and Tryon are a great CB1, CB2, and NB. I like Tryon a lot, actually. Great free agent pick up.

MaxV
01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Just like many people, you underrate Gary Brackett.

You've mentioned that Bethea is a tier below the elite Safeties, I think that's the case with Brackett and MLBs.

He isn't the biggest or the fastest, but his instincts are excellent. He is one of the few MLBs that can play equally well against the run and in coverage. If you consider how little of a protection he has been getting from his DTs in his career, he has done a very good job. He also makes tackles behind and line of scrimmage and can get an INT on occasion.

killxswitch
01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
I think that in 05 - 08 he was in the 2nd tier of MLBs in the NFL. Last year was different in that he played a very different role and blitzed a lot and was effective at it. Very impressive and surprising. And like I said, this year it may have been an injury that slowed him down, but he just did not look that great this past year.

My new wish is for the Colts to draft Dontay Moch in the 2nd to play SLB. I somehow missed just how freaking fast that guy is.

MaxV
01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our scheme calls for SLB to be more physical then fast.

They have to fight through blockers more.

Moch could be a heck of a WLB.

killxswitch
01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our scheme calls for SLB to be more physical then fast.

They have to fight through blockers more.

Moch could be a heck of a WLB.

His size and experience at DE would benefit him in shedding blocks and speed is never a bad thing. WLB in our scheme requires pass coverage skills that I doubt he has, though. Basically I am just psyched about a 245 lb. guy that can run a sub 4.3 40. My first thought was to make him lose 20 lbs. and play SS, but obviously then the pass coverage problems would be that much worse.

I really like the way the Giants play Kiwanuka at SLB, I'd like the Colts to borrow from that idea.

MaxV
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I remember Colts using Marcus Washington as blitzer at times.

Blitzing has been an effective weapon for us when we catch teams by surprise.

Seamus2602
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
The major difficulty is that Strongside Linebacker, for the Colts, is a 2 down position. As soon as the Colts go into the Nickle the SAM comes out. Drafting another Linebacker in the 2nd just to play maybe half the snaps isn't good value.

killxswitch
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
That seems like a lifetime ago but yeah I remember the same thing. I have wondered before, when Wheeler was starting, why not send him on a blitz? It's the only thing he was known for in college. Why send Brackett, who is ok as a blitzer but is better in coverage, when you've got a bigger, stronger, faster, worse-in-coverage blitzing LB right next to him?

Seamus, that is true. Really I am just stretching for a reason to draft Moch. What an incredible athlete.

Seamus2602
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
That seems like a lifetime ago but yeah I remember the same thing. I have wondered before, when Wheeler was starting, why not send him on a blitz? It's the only thing he was known for in college. Why send Brackett, who is ok as a blitzer but is better in coverage, when you've got a bigger, stronger, faster, worse-in-coverage blitzing LB right next to him?

Seamus, that is true. Really I am just stretching for a reason to draft Moch. What an incredible athlete.

My two issues with Moch are that, firstly, I don't think he'll be a 4-3 LB. 3-4 yeah but not 4-3. In the 4-3 I see him converting to DE, the way that Marcus Howard did. Remember that Moch is 1" smaller and the same weight as Robert Mathis.

Secondly he's a great athlete. I'm not a fan of athletes. Give me a football player any day of the week. I question whether he has the range and coverage skills to play linebacker or whether he has the strength and skills to be a pass rusher.

MaxV
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
- DT - Unless Dareus, Fairley, or possibly Paea is available at the 22nd pick I think the Colts should look for depth in the draft or at free agency.

With top underclassmen declaring, this all of a sudden looks like a good DT class.

After the 3 that you've mentioned Austin, Ballard, Nevis, Liuget, Casey and Wilkerson have upside as 3-techs.

MaxV
01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
This draft also features several big DE prospect that might project as 3-tech UTs.

Watt, Heyward, Jordan and Bailey are all interesting prospects.

I think an opportunity to upgrade the D-Line is definitely there this year.

MaxV
01-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Colts and Sanders possibly re-working the contract.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/1/19/1943961/colts-and-bob-sanders-possibly-looking-to-re-work-contract-for-2011#storyjump

It might be unrealistic, but I'm still hopeful he returns in good form.

killxswitch
01-20-2011, 01:02 PM
No reason not to re-sign him if he'll take a lot less money. If he plays, great! If not, no big loss. But we need a S in the draft regardless.

Matthew Jones
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Wanted to pass this on for you guys:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/1/20/1946152/east-west-shrine-game-colts-show-interest-in-caleb-schlauderaff-guard

killxswitch
01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6051054&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Interesting. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Dam8610
01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, the season is over, unfortunately. Time for off-season.

What do we need in the draft?

OL, OL, and more OL! Seriously, a draft that went OT, OT, OG would be great as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, where else is help needed?

QB - The only 4 time MVP in NFL history. 'Nuff said.
RB - Re-sign Addai (which should be cheap) and it's a non-issue.
WR - Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Anthony Gonzalez/Pierre Garcon, Blair White, the Colts are minimum 5 deep here.
TE - Dallas Clark, Jacob Tamme/Brody Eldridge, the Colts are 3 deep here
OT - Charlie Johnson and Ryan Diem could both be upgraded.
OG - Time to solidify the starters of this unit rather than rotating people in and out on a weekly basis. Hopefully Jacques McClendon can be a part of that starting next season.
OC - Saturday just made his 5th Pro Bowl, and Jamey Richard seems to be in line to replace him.

DE - Two Pro Bowl starters with a 1st round pick in reserves, this unit is fine.
DT - Personally, I'm highly comfortable with a rotation of Muir, Moala, Johnson, Mathews, and Foster.
LB - Two surprising rookies solidified this unit in 2010. Session, Brackett, Angerer, and Conner make for the best unit the team has had since the departure of Thornton.
CB - Powers, Hayden, Tryon, and Lacey are fine. Oh, and Kevin Thomas, 3rd round pick from 2010, has yet to see the field.
S - Bethea, Bullitt, and Sanders if healthy. I'm not comfortable with Francisco as a starter, so I wouldn't mind a S in the later rounds just in case Sanders and Bullitt go down again in 2011.

P - McAfee hasn't been so horrible as to need replacing. Could do better though.
K - Vinatieri is old, I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts grab a K with good accuracy.
LS - Snow seems to be a mainstay, so I'll trust in that until further notice.

So aside from OT and OG, I'm not seeing where the need exists.

killxswitch
01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
I think a strong safety is a bigger need than that. Bullitt is a great backup and an interesting 3rd safety option but not a great starter IMO. Sanders is a top 3 safety when fully healthy but you can't trust him to stay off the injury report. I agree going OL early and often would be great as long as the players are there. But if the safety talent in the 2nd was better than the OL talent I wouldn't mind taking the safety.

MaxV
01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Welcome back, Dam.

I agree with you regarding OL being top need. Clearly, significant upgrade is needed there.

But what do you think about this deep class of DLs this year? It looks like Colts might finally be in a position to find that talented UT that they've needed for so long.

Dam8610
01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I think a strong safety is a bigger need than that. Bullitt is a great backup and an interesting 3rd safety option but not a great starter IMO. Sanders is a top 3 safety when fully healthy but you can't trust him to stay off the injury report. I agree going OL early and often would be great as long as the players are there. But if the safety talent in the 2nd was better than the OL talent I wouldn't mind taking the safety.

He's not a great starter, but he's passable, especially when playing next to Antoine Bethea. I guess I wouldn't mind spending a pick there if the talent was much greater than the talent available at OL, but considering that virtually any OL is an option that would upgrade the unit either next year or in the not too distant future, I don't know that the value could be that much greater at SS.

Regardless, I'd like to see the Colts come away from this draft with at least 3 OL who could compete for starting jobs.

Welcome back, Dam.

I agree with you regarding OL being top need. Clearly, significant upgrade is needed there.

But what do you think about this deep class of DLs this year? It looks like Colts might finally be in a position to find that talented UT that they've needed for so long.

Well IMO DE is out of the question with Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes. Drafting another DE would be reaching the point of diminishing returns. That leaves DT, where I thought Moala came on strong, Muir remained a steady force, and Mathews came on strong at the end of the year. Combine with Johnson and Foster, and I see a relatively young and capable DT unit for the first time since 2005, so I'm not so sure that an upgrade is needed, especially not nearly as much as a good blindside protector for Peyton Manning. Now, if there's some sort of ludicrous value in round 2, sure, take it, but I really can't see the Colts going anywhere but OT in the first round this year.

MaxV
01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
A lot of mocks have us taking Solder or Smith. Both are talented, but still need work.

Both are kind of similar prospects to what Ugoh was coming out. I'm not sure if they'll have the same work-ethic (or lack there of) that Ugoh had, but I really prefer to get a more polished OT.

Sherrod, Castonzo or Carimi seem to be more polished and could probably start from day 1 for us.

MaxV
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Well IMO DE is out of the question with Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes. Drafting another DE would be reaching the point of diminishing returns. That leaves DT, where I thought Moala came on strong, Muir remained a steady force, and Mathews came on strong at the end of the year. Combine with Johnson and Foster, and I see a relatively young and capable DT unit for the first time since 2005, so I'm not so sure that an upgrade is needed, especially not nearly as much as a good blindside protector for Peyton Manning. Now, if there's some sort of ludicrous value in round 2, sure, take it, but I really can't see the Colts going anywhere but OT in the first round this year.

What if you have a situation where all the 1st round-caliber OLs are gone and there is an absolute BEASTLY DT (like Paea for example) still there?

killxswitch
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
A few thoughts on the last few posts:

- Muir was not as good this year as last year. He took a big step back IMO. Hist first step was slow and he looked out of shape. He was not blowing into the backfield like he did last year. I dont 'know if it was injury or what but I don't expect the Colts to re-sign him, especially when you look at how the Colts improved so much against the run when Mookie returned from his knee injury.

- IMO "passable" isn't good enough. Bethea is at his best when the rest of the DBs are at their best. He has to make up for too many screwups if the other DBs are scrubs. I want to maximize Bethea's talent which would mean having a better SS next to him. I agree if the talent is similar between OL and SS they should go OL. In that case, make a play for Dawan Landry in free agency. SS is important in our defense and Bullitt just isn't good enough. And when the SS position is weak Bethea has to try to cover up the mistakes and can't ball hawk.

- I agree that Solder and Smith are too developmental to be the desired 1st round picks. I would add Castonzo to that, I think he will need to add significant strength to start in the NFL and that will take time. As of now Carimi and Sherrod are the only two OTs that I'm interested in in the 1st. Marcus Cannon is another possibility but I want to see him at the combine.

There are some round 2 and 3 guys that I think have potential. Lee Ziemba and Marcus Gilbert for example.

There are also some guards that might be worth taking or even trading up in the 2nd for. Imagine getting both Carimi/Sherrod and Cannon in the 1st 2 rounds.

MaxV
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM
- I agree that Solder and Smith are too developmental to be the desired 1st round picks. I would add Castonzo to that, I think he will need to add significant strength to start in the NFL and that will take time. As of now Carimi and Sherrod are the only two OTs that I'm interested in in the 1st. Marcus Cannon is another possibility but I want to see him at the combine.

There are some round 2 and 3 guys that I think have potential. Lee Ziemba and Marcus Gilbert for example.

There are also some guards that might be worth taking or even trading up in the 2nd for. Imagine getting both Carimi/Sherrod and Cannon in the 1st 2 rounds.

Reading Scott's practice reports from Senior Bowl, it's just confirms what you and I agree on, Carimi and Sherrod are the top 2 OTs in the draft. Solder could be good, but needs work. Castonzo is ok, maybe he would be an upgrade over either CJ or Diem, but probably won't be a Pro-Bowler.

As far as guards, getting either Watkins or Moffitt would be a significant upgrade.

And Colts need to stay away from Hudson.

killxswitch
01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah Hudson was a real disappointment huh? I agree with you on Watkins and Moffitt. I expected Moffitt to do well but Watkins' dominance has been an exciting surprise.

I am probably getting a little too excited about drafting Carimi. With each day it seems less and less likely that he will be around when we pick.

jared3
01-29-2011, 05:31 AM
I am definately hoping the Colts draft OT Gabe Carimi. I am a Purdue fan, but I was very impressed with Wisconsin's offensive line, in particular Carimi and left guard John Moffitt.

Another guard that is good is Steve Schilling from Michigan.

I hope the Colts select at least 2 OL in the draft.

MaxV
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I still say that a good, pass-rushing DT would be a HUGE addition to our D.

But upgrading the O-Line should be the top priority.

Dam8610
01-30-2011, 04:51 PM
I still say that a good, pass-rushing DT would be a HUGE addition to our D.

But upgrading the O-Line should be the top priority.

Moala really came on last year, and Mathews was a key factor in the late season improvement in run defense. I think with Muir, Johnson, and Foster, those five make a competent if unspectacular DT rotation. At the very least, they're far more competent as a unit than Johnson and Diem are at the OT spots.

There at least 8 OTs in this draft that I'd rather see starting for the Colts than Johnson and Diem.

1) Nate Solder
2) Anthony Castonzo
3) Derek Sherrod
4) Gabe Carimi
5) Ben Ijalana
6) Lee Ziemba
7) Marcus Gilbert
8) Clint Boling

Left Tackle prospect
Right Tackle prospect

I really liked Ziemba's performance in the Senior Bowl, he's a guy I'd like to see the Colts grab in Round 2.

MaxV
01-31-2011, 09:43 AM
There is no question that our situation at DT is MUCH better then our situation at O-Line.

It's just, this is such a DEEP UT class. We've been waiting for a class like this for a long time. I think it would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

I think our D should be a solid unit next season. But it could be a great unit with a consistent disruptor in the interior.

With that being said, I think we might need to take a OT in the 1st round, just because there isn't much depth at that position.

Are we all in agreement that Smith would be too much of a project for us? I love his athleticism, but he needs time to develop. And we need someone NOW.

There will certainly be OTs taken before our pick. I'm hoping it's Smith, Solder and Castonzo, leaving us with Carimi or Sherrod, the 2 most polished imo.

killxswitch
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes the only two OTs I'm interested in for the 1st are Carimi and Sherrod. Castonzo is too much of a lightweight and needs to get stronger, Solder and Smith are projects that will take time (and possibly coaching skill) that we don't have.

colts_fan8818
02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes the only two OTs I'm interested in for the 1st are Carimi and Sherrod. Castonzo is too much of a lightweight and needs to get stronger, Solder and Smith are projects that will take time (and possibly coaching skill) that we don't have.

I agree, what we need is a OT who can run block. Castonzo seems way to much like what we have already ie an undersized OT who can pass block but can't get push in the run game to save his life. While Smith reminds me way too much of Tony Ugoh for some reason. As for Solder I'm praying that some team drafts him before us because I don't trust Polian to not draft him.
Out of Sherrod and Carimi I think either one would be an upgrade on what we have now, but i think we should take Carimi just because he seems to be the better run blocker of the two, which i think we need more.

MaxV
02-03-2011, 02:30 PM
It really sound like, unless Polian is willing to trade up, Carimi won't be there for us.

killxswitch
02-03-2011, 02:32 PM
It really sound like, unless Polian is willing to trade up, Carimi won't be there for us.

I'm afraid of that. Seems like he's clearly the #1 OT in the draft and it's hard to imagine no one picking an OT until #22. I think it'd be worth trading up for but I doubt Polian will do it.

colts_fan8818
02-04-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm afraid of that. Seems like he's clearly the #1 OT in the draft and it's hard to imagine no one picking an OT until #22. I think it'd be worth trading up for but I doubt Polian will do it.

While I agree that Polian will not trade up, I still think that there is a good chance we can nab Carimi. A lot of the teams ahead of us have more pressing issues then o-line, and due to the fact that OT is one of the weakest positions in this draft a lot of teams might not feel the value is there for the higher picks. Besides at least 1 team will most likely fall in love with Solder and draft him way before they should and possibly do the same with Smith. Besides if we don't get Carimi at least there is a good chance that Sharrod will still be there, which isn't a bad consolation prize. Even getting Costanzo would be an improvement, then what we have now.

killxswitch
02-04-2011, 08:07 AM
While I agree that Polian will not trade up, I still think that there is a good chance we can nab Carimi. A lot of the teams ahead of us have more pressing issues then o-line, and due to the fact that OT is one of the weakest positions in this draft a lot of teams might not feel the value is there for the higher picks. Besides at least 1 team will most likely fall in love with Solder and draft him way before they should and possibly do the same with Smith. Besides if we don't get Carimi at least there is a good chance that Sharrod will still be there, which isn't a bad consolation prize. Even getting Costanzo would be an improvement, then what we have now.

I hope you are right. I am fine with getting Sherrod in the 1st if Carimi isn't there. I don't want Castonzo though, he is not strong enough for the NFL.

What would be really exciting would be to see Polian move up to get Carimi, then move up again in the late 1st/early 2nd to nab another good OL prospect like Marcus Cannon or Mike Pouncey.

MaxV
02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I hope you are right. I am fine with getting Sherrod in the 1st if Carimi isn't there. I don't want Castonzo though, he is not strong enough for the NFL.

What would be really exciting would be to see Polian move up to get Carimi, then move up again in the late 1st/early 2nd to nab another good OL prospect like Marcus Cannon or Mike Pouncey.

I actually like Marcus Gilbert more then Castonzo, although he might be a reach with our pick.

Moving up with the first 2 picks would require for us to trade several of our later picks. I'm against that. We need depth and there is always a possibility to find late-round gems.

killxswitch
02-04-2011, 09:18 AM
To me getting Carimi and Cannon/Pouncey would be worth giving up a few picks. I don't disagree about depth though, we do need it at several spots.

Seamus2602
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Every year teams fall in love with the athletic guys, the former Tight End prospects and the guys with huge upside. I would not be shocked if Castonzo, Smith and Solder were all gone before Camiri and Sherrod.

colts_fan8818
02-10-2011, 10:37 PM
While I'm pretty confident that either Carimi or Sherrod will still be there when we pick, I'm afraid Polian will screw it up and take someone like Solder or Smith, or do something really stupid and not draft a linemen until the 3rd or 4th or something like that.

killxswitch
02-11-2011, 08:01 AM
While I'm pretty confident that either Carimi or Sherrod will still be there when we pick, I'm afraid Polian will screw it up and take someone like Solder or Smith, or do something really stupid and not draft a linemen until the 3rd or 4th or something like that.

Your fears are founded. I did predict drafting Hughes but usually I don't guess his picks right. I don't want him to pick a lineman just for the sake of picking one but my concern would be his inability to assess proper 1st round talent, especially on the OL.

MaxV
02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
I predicted the Addai pick, but everyone saw that one coming. He was considered a perfect fit for out system.

Marlin Jackson was a very popular pick in many mocks for the Colts also, but I actually didn't think we would pick him.

fischbowl
02-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Recent Forum Mock

1) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
2) Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
3) Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn
5) Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
6) Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers
7) Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State

Players I was targeting Rounds 6-7

Drake Nevis and Christian Ballard were taken before my pick in the 2nd and I had tried to trade for a few veteran DTs but to no avail.

colts_fan8818
02-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Recent Forum Mock

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

Drake Nevis and Christian Ballard were taken before my pick in the 2nd and I had tried to trade for a few veteran DTs but to no avail.

If the draft turns out like that I will break something. Solder is not at all what the Colts need at tackle, and we don't need a LB enough to pick one in the 2nd. Especially considering S and DT are much bigger needs.

killxswitch
02-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Yeah that would be a disaster of a draft for the Colts.

Seamus2602
02-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Recent Forum Mock

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

I'm not as low on Solder as others on this forum I would value Sherrod higher than Solder.

Backer isn't really a need for the Colts. If we resign Session then we are fine. If we don't Kavell Conner played very well in his absence and all the team would need to do is bring in depth. While I'm a big fan of Herzlich (it's hard not to be after what he came back from) I don't like the pick.

Do we really need to draft the 7th CB on our depth chart in the 3rd Round?

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

I quite like Hurd. I think he could even start further down the line in the NFL. He isn't NFL ready yet (but this in the 4th round you'd struggle to find someone who is). Maybe a little high but nothing to get overally annoyed at.

Quite like the pick. Good value for Parker, he can rush the passer from the interior of the line, something the Colts have been missing for a while now.

Really like this pick. Bit of steal (I have Lefeged currently rated as about a 4th Round pick), can provide depth at both Safety positions and give the team a dynamic kick returner.

My only problem with this pick is that I question how much depth we need on the O-Line. We have already drafted a LT. That means we have 4 OT on the roster. Even if we play CJ at RT and cut Diem I feel that Linkenbach is a good enough backup at both T spots. Similarly inside we have a couple of guys (Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, McClendon) so I don't think we need to address OL depth this year.

So overall hit and miss. 4-7 were pretty good. Good fits, good value but 1-3 rounds really hit the draft badly.

Seamus2602
02-11-2011, 09:38 PM
With Polian you get a lot of WTF moments. But the do, largely speaking, work out more often than not. I don't normally watch into the later stages of the draft (I check back every now and then) but I would watch the first 3 rounds. And the 2009 Draft sticks in my mind. A lot of people where predicting the Brown pick but the general consensus was that we were taking a UConn player (either Beatty or Brown). So I wasn't that shocked when he pulled the trigger on Brown. In the 2nd Round it was generally accepted that we were either going to take Sen'Derrick Marks or Fili Moala. So again that wasn't a surprise either. But then there was the real WTF moment. The team had just paid Kelvin Hayden a huge new contract, we had Jackson returning from injury, a couple of other players like Tim "first down" Jennings but still had players there. And Polian (in the third round, a round you should be getting a potential starter in) pulls the trigger on a 6th round rated CB prospect. Turned out pretty well and Powers is our best Cornerback and if he can stay healthy he is a potential pro bowler.

So what do we all know?

Dam8610
02-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Recent Forum Mock

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

Too much early investment in not OL. I'm really hoping the team will go 2 OTs and an OG in the first 3 rounds of the draft and pick up a 4th OL on Day 3. Lb and CB are positions of non-need, but I like Herzlich, and a Herzlich-Angerer-Session or Herzlich-Angerer-Conner LB corps in 2-3 years would be interesting. CB is a no-no though, not with (at minimum) Powers, Hayden, Tryon, Lacey, and Thomas guaranteed a roster spot. DT and S are secondary needs, and a guy like Ahmad Black in round 3 or so would be amazing, but when drafting for the Colts this year, the right answer is OL.

killxswitch
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I would really like to go Carimi in the first and best player available of OL, DT, and SS in the 2nd.

killxswitch
02-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Bob Sanders just got cut. Bummer. I was hoping for a minimal contract with performance incentives. If he goes to another team and kicks ass I will be very upset.

MaxV
02-18-2011, 03:50 PM
What could have been. That's the only statement that comes to my mind after this news.

No one should forget the contribution that he made to the Super Bowl run, but his career in Indy was disappointing.

colts_fan8818
02-20-2011, 10:58 PM
While it is sad to see Sanders go I think it is good that it happened. The guy hasn't done anything for us in the last couple of years and hopefully we can draft a replacement for him. Now Polian just needs to cut Gonzo, Diem and Saturday.

killxswitch
02-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I am all for cutting Diem (or restructuring to a much lower deal and moving him to guard but that seems unlikely), and I would be ok with letting Saturday go as I don't think his football smarts make up for his physical limitations anymore. But Gonzo is fairly cheap and is still a very good receiver when healthy. His last two injuries were a freak tendon tear with zero contact and an injury caused by Bernard Pollard riding him to the ground out of bounds and landing on his shoulder. I would give him another year to compete with the starters, especially since he was apparently healthy enough to come back at the end of the year despite being IRed.

Dam8610
02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
While it is sad to see Sanders go I think it is good that it happened. The guy hasn't done anything for us in the last couple of years and hopefully we can draft a replacement for him. Now Polian just needs to cut Gonzo, Diem and Saturday.

I'd be on board with one of those three moves. Diem should be cut, he's been awful for a while now, but some semblance of this OL has to remain in the transition period, and IMO Saturday is the best OL the team has as of now (though that might not be the case for long as he continues to decline due to age), and should be able to give the team one more decent year. As for Gonzo, are you mad? He's cheap, and before the injury bug struck what was looking like a promising career down, he was flourishing into a potential replacement for Wayne as the #1 WR down the road. I doubt he has that potential anymore after 2 major injuries, but for how cheap he is, it can't possibly hurt to see what he has left in the tank. At this point it's not like he's being counted on for any production, so anything he adds would be a bonus.

MaxV
02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Colts claim DT DeMario Pressley off waivers from Houston.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=dc30c58d-d26e-4e2d-bd30-598a51a2cb7d

One of the top recruits in the nation, he never lived up to the hype, but he has plenty of talent. Might be an interesting signing.

killxswitch
02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
I have zero expectations. At least he is 300 lbs.

Dam8610
02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
I have zero expectations. At least he is 300 lbs.

Expectations shouldn't be high, but hopes maybe? The guy has talent, maybe Teerlinck can finally bring it out of him.

killxswitch
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Expectations shouldn't be high, but hopes maybe? The guy has talent, maybe Teerlinck can finally bring it out of him.

My hopes are that he finally grows up and realizes some of the potential he showed when he was a top recruit out of high school. I have my doubts but maybe someone will have the right kind of "this is your last chance" kind of conversation and the light will come on for him. At least it's a low risk situation.

Dam8610
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
My hopes are that he finally grows up and realizes some of the potential he showed when he was a top recruit out of high school. I have my doubts but maybe someone will have the right kind of "this is your last chance" kind of conversation and the light will come on for him. At least it's a low risk situation.

Exactly, very much a low risk/high reward scenario.

falloutboy14
02-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Doing a forum mock here & so far I've picked:
1) Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
2) Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
3) Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
Ideally I see Sherrod at LT. Watkins, McClendon, DeVann, Pollack, & Saturday competing for the 2 G & C spots, with Johnson & Linkenbach competing for the RT spot. The time needs to come where Saturday isn't handed the C spot. I've heard Mayock suggest that Watkins can play RT as well as G too, so maybe he ends up there.

Casey seems like he can progress into a good run stuffer.

Was hoping Carimi would fall, so we could put him at RT and really improve the run blocking for 1/2 the line. All things considered I'm pretty pleased though.

colts_fan8818
02-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Doing a forum mock here & so far I've picked:
1) Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
2) Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
3) Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
Ideally I see Sherrod at LT. Watkins, McClendon, DeVann, Pollack, & Saturday competing for the 2 G & C spots, with Johnson & Linkenbach competing for the RT spot. The time needs to come where Saturday isn't handed the C spot. I've heard Mayock suggest that Watkins can play RT as well as G too, so maybe he ends up there.

Casey seems like he can progress into a good run stuffer.

Was hoping Carimi would fall, so we could put him at RT and really improve the run blocking for 1/2 the line. All things considered I'm pretty pleased though.

If we ended up with Sherrod, Watkins and Casey in the 1st 3 rounds I would be ecstatic. They all fill needed positions and the value is good on them. Hopefully that's what ends up happening.

MaxV
02-26-2011, 09:19 AM
That would be awesome.

I'm surprised Casey was still there in the 3rd for you.

But I can definitely see a talented DL falling with such a deep DL class.

killxswitch
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
And now for a swift kick to the balls, Bob Sanders signs with San Diego. You know he'll be healthy all year and get DPOY again.

Dam8610
03-08-2011, 01:48 PM
And now for a swift kick to the balls, Bob Sanders signs with San Diego. You know he'll be healthy all year and get DPOY again.

The Colts released him after not being willing to release him last year after consecutive seasons spent mostly on IR, plus they have the most comprehensive medical on him I'm sure. If this comes back to bite the Colts in the butt I'll be shocked.

Dunta_23
03-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey Guys...

Im involved in a forum mock draft representing the AFC South. I came here and read that you guys really need OL so with that in mind this is what Ive done so far....

1. Derek Sherrod, T, Miss St
2. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
3. Orlando Franklin, G, Miami

What do you guys think? Any particular guys I should be looking for in rounds 4-7?

killxswitch
03-21-2011, 09:28 AM
That is a pretty solid mock. I would look for a SS as we need a starter, Tyler Sash if he is available or the SS from OSU in a later round like 6. Also some good special teams coverage players would be nice.

falloutboy14
03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
That's not far off of the mock I did, it's a few pots up. I don't think anyone here will argue with getting starters for the O-line and DT, as long as it's not Solder.

For the next rounds, keep an eye out for WR as well. Greg Salas from Hawaii seems like a Collie clone. Very productive in college, looks like he could do wonders over the middle. With Gonzo & Collie as 2 of our WRs, think we need to carry 6 so we have depth if injuries happen.

Another WR I've kept an eye on is Vincent Brown from SD st. He killed at the senior bowl, but ran a 4.7 at the combine so tough to say where he should go in the draft. If he's there when we pick in 5th or 6th, I'd take him. He's returned kicks as well.

MaxV
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
WR isn't a big priority. But if they do pick one, I would like a deep threat burner.

Wayne, Collie, Gonzo, Clark, Tamme, we have PLENTY of good route-runners that consistently pick up the intermediate yardage. But we only have 1 true deep threat, Garcon and he is kind of inconsistent.

Our offense is at it's best when safeties have to respect the deep ball.

Revil
03-21-2011, 08:00 PM
WR isn't a big priority. But if they do pick one, I would like a deep threat burner.

Wayne, Collie, Gonzo, Clark, Tamme, we have PLENTY of good route-runners that consistently pick up the intermediate yardage. But we only have 1 true deep threat, Garcon and he is kind of inconsistent.

Our offense is at it's best when safeties have to respect the deep ball.

I would have to disagree with some of that. With Collie's and Gonzalez' injury history, and considering three WRs are entering a contract year, and with Reggie turning 33, I would say it's a pretty big priority.

I suppose I half agree on Garcon; I don't believe he's much of a deep threat at all.

killxswitch
03-21-2011, 10:38 PM
It depends on which Garcon decides to play. He can be deadly when he is focused and catches the ball.

Dam8610
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey Guys...

Im involved in a forum mock draft representing the AFC South. I came here and read that you guys really need OL so with that in mind this is what Ive done so far....

2. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

What do you guys think? Any particular guys I should be looking for in rounds 4-7?

Not bad so far, grab a C or RT at the very least and a S and you're set.

colts_fan8818
03-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Hey Guys...

2. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

Not a bad start for the first 3 rounds, it addresses several needs with pretty decent value. In the rest of the rounds get a SS as that is a huge need since sanders had been cut, a WR is needed, one that would be a deep threat would be nice, and possibly a c as well.

MaxV
03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
We need "Big Uglies," no doubt about it.

But I doubt they'll just commit the first 3 rounds to it.

Usually, Polian likes to diversify his drafts.

Glenn and Meadows were top two picks a lifetime ago, but that was when they were trying to keep Harbaugh alive.

RCAChainGang
03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Is there any good depth at S in this draft. I think our defense could benefit from a guy that can deliver big hits and give a bit of an identity to our defense. I feel like we lack a leader. That once was Bob, but do you think we could find a guy to run stuff from the S position?

Dam8610
04-01-2011, 02:39 AM
We need "Big Uglies," no doubt about it.

But I doubt they'll just commit the first 3 rounds to it.

Usually, Polian likes to diversify his drafts.

Glenn and Meadows were top two picks a lifetime ago, but that was when they were trying to keep Harbaugh alive.

If Manning wasn't the all-time great he is, they'd be trying to keep him alive, too. OL early and often would be the best course of action in this draft IMO.

Is there any good depth at S in this draft. I think our defense could benefit from a guy that can deliver big hits and give a bit of an identity to our defense. I feel like we lack a leader. That once was Bob, but do you think we could find a guy to run stuff from the S position?

There are a few guys that have caught my eye that might slip past a few teams radars for some reason or another:

Ahmad Black - Because he's an inch shorter, about 10-15 pounds lighter, and ran a bit slower than most teams like their safeties, he's likely to drop into the mid-late round, but if you watch a game of his, he's constantly around the ball and making plays.

Jaiquawn Jarrett - Small school kid who hits hard and makes plays. Hard to find tape of him, but he stands out. Also, has a decent HWS ratio going on, though speed if anything is lacking.

Jeron Johnson - Could be considered small school, but Boise State has risen to prominence recently. With a very solid HWS ratio, and a propensity to make plays, he could fit the role that needs to be filled well.

Shiloh Keo - Another small school kid who seems to have all the tools needed to succeed at the SS position. Times fairly slowly, but is big and reacts (and breaks) very quickly. With proper coaching (will likely need a lot of work on timing and reading plays), could develop into a good enforcer.

Mark LeGree - Small schooler with a great HWS ratio who appears to have the tools to do anything he's called upon for, though that was at the FCS level. The question for him (much like Antoine Bethea in 2006) is can he hang with the pros?

Wildwood
04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Colt draft and free agency.

Free agent from Baltimore
OT 6'9" 340 Jared Gaithers

Colts trade down with Denver
Denver gets Colt
Rd. 1 - 22
Colts get Denver
Rd. 2 - 04
Rd. 3 - 03

Colts Draft
Rd. 2 - 04 DT Stephan Paea
Rd. 2 - 21 OG Rodney Hudson - move to Center
Rd. 3 - 03 SS Quinton Carter
Rd. 3 - 23 OT Marcus Gilbert
Rd. 4 - 22 WR Austin Pettis
Rd. 5 - 21 CB Cortez Allen
Rd. 6 - 23 LB Jonas Mouton

Dam8610
04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
If the Colts are confident in Gaither's ability to perform at LT, and Pouncey's ability to convert to C, I'd be pretty happy about that.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
04-13-2011, 12:27 PM
If the colts touch a QB in the 1st 3 rounds with so many needs i may just be done with this team for a while. Hopefully it is all a smokescreen.

Dam8610
04-13-2011, 11:41 PM
If the colts touch a QB in the 1st 3 rounds with so many needs i may just be done with this team for a while. Hopefully it is all a smokescreen.

I hope Andy Dalton falls off the face of the Earth and gets scooped up by the Colts in round 4 or 5 if they're looking at QB. I think teams are going to look back on Dalton and wonder how they missed him.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
04-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Today is the day. If we don't address the trenches early and often i am getting the lynching mob. Pitchfork and torches are ready.

killxswitch
04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Too much depth on both lines in this draft to completely miss out.

If I say it enough I might believe it.

GABE CARIMI.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
04-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Too much depth on both lines in this draft to completely miss out.

If I say it enough I might believe it.

GABE CARIMI.

Bill Parcells has Carimi as a 3rd rounder i still cant figure it out.

killxswitch
04-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Bill Parcells has Carimi as a 3rd rounder i still cant figure it out.

Bill Parcels is overrated.

Here are my possibly optimistic picks for the Colts tonight.

1) OT Gabe Carimi
1a) OT Derek Sherrod
1b) DT Stephen Paea

2) OG Danny Watkins
2a) DT Marvin Austin
2b) CB Ras-I Dowling

3) SS Tyler Sash
3a) S Deandre McDaniel
3b) OG John Moffitt

4) OL Marcus Cannon
4a) S Deunta Williams
4b) LB Casey Matthews

5) TE Lee Smith
5a) WR Ronald Johnson
5b) RB Bilal Powell

6) SS Jermale Hines
6a) OLB KJ Wright
6b ) RB Delone Carter

MaxV
04-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Castonzo.

Is it just me, or does he look more like a Linebacker in plain clothes?

I hope he proves me wrong and dominates. We really need an upgrade at the line.

killxswitch
04-28-2011, 09:54 PM
He is a finesse passblocking LT. He has no mean streak and is underpowered. Polian screwed up. Ugh.

MaxV
04-28-2011, 10:36 PM
There are still very talented players left on the board.

I hope we can get multiple instant different-makers.

Dam8610
04-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Hudson or Ijalana are my top wants for Round 2, while Paea, Austin, and Hankerson would also be wins as far as I'm concerned.

Philliez01
04-28-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd love to see Ben Ijalana go to Indy, I told him four years ago that would be the coolest thing ever.

Seriously, I don't know what I'd do.

falloutboy14
04-28-2011, 11:59 PM
I think the player I'm highest on for the 2nd round is Orlando Franklin. A great run blocker who can start right away. With him & a guard later on, maybe we could maybe run the ball from time to time.

Wouldn't mind Leonard Hankerson either, think I read somewhere that Chris Carter coached him in HS.

RCAChainGang
04-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Round two Austin
Round three Ahmad Black, but that may be reaching.

I just think we need someone at safety who is willing to get his hands dirty like Bob Sanders was. We need him to be able to make blows at the line in run support. He also is a pretty durable guy.

What do you guys think?

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Round two Austin
Round three Ahmad Black, but that may be reaching.

I just think we need someone at safety who is willing to get his hands dirty like Bob Sanders was. We need him to be able to make blows at the line in run support. He also is a pretty durable guy.

What do you guys think?

He is slow and tiny. No thanks. I'd rather have someone like Tyler Sash, Deandre McDaniel, Deunta Williams, or even Jermale Hines.

RagingColt
04-29-2011, 09:25 AM
I put the rest of our needs in this order for the rest of the draft:

DT
SS
WR
RT/G
CB

Here's hoping that Castonzo hasn't peaked as a player.

MaxV
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I keep on hearing that Castonzo's intelligence was a big factor.

We'll see. The few times that I've seen him play, he didn't look like a 1st rounder, but I keep on reading good things about him. I hope they are right.

MaxV
04-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I put the rest of our needs in this order for the rest of the draft:

DT
SS
WR
RT/G
CB

Here's hoping that Castonzo hasn't peaked as a player.

I would put RT, OG and SS towards the top.

Even if Castonzo is good from day 1, our O-Line would still be average at best with current personnel.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Here's a post I made on another board about the players I think the Colts should consider for the rest of the draft.

DTs
Stephen Paea - Oregon St. - 6'1, 303 lbs, incredible strength, non-stop motor, solid interior pass rusher that anchors well against the run. Stubby arms will not bat down many passes.

Marvin Austin - UNC - 6'1, 309 lbs, very athletic for a big guy, can rush the passer from the interior and occupy blockers. Work ethic and character are questions but talent is undeniable.

Jarvis Jenkins - Clemson, 6'4, 310 lbs, durable and powerful, made a lot of tackles in the backfield. A good run stuffer that would help out other guys on the line.

Allen Bailey - Miami, 6'3, 285 lbs, an athletic freak that could play the Brock/Foster roll better than either of them. Not my first choice because he is raw but his upside is significant.

OL
Orlando Franklin - Miami, 6'5, 316 lbs, Great run blocker with excellent strength and bulk. I think he will be gone before the Colts get a shot at him. Can play RT or guard.

Ben Ijalana - Villanova, 6'3, 317 lbs, I am not as high on him as some but if he is there in the 3rd the Colts should take him. I think he will go in the 2nd. Talented for sure, not sure he has the right attitude. Reminds me a little of Ugoh honestly.

Marcus Gilbert - Florida, 6'6, 330 lbs, I've said for months on other forums that this guy is this years' Roger Saffold, not in terms of skillset but in terms of skill vs. value. The Colts could do a lot worse for a new RT or guard.

Rodney Hudson - Florida St., 6'2, 299 lbs, not my favorite in terms of size or strength but he is smart, tough, and a good football player. Good technique. Maybe a center in the future.

Marcus Cannon - TCU, 6'5, 350 lbs, a gigantic man with surprising athleticism. He has very treatable cancer so 3rd round might be early since he may not play his rookie year.

John Moffitt - Wisconsin, 6'4, 319 lbs, one of my favorite guard prospects. He knows how to run block and play like an asshole. He is already 25 and not perfect so 3rd round or later would be nice.

Safety
Tyler Sash - Iowa, 6',211 lbs, he's not Bob Sanders but he is a reliable starter that can hit hard and defend the deep ball. Good in run support. Also, he's white and from a Big 10 school so Polian probably likes him.

Deandre McDaniel - Clemson, 6', 217 lbs, hits hard and defends the run well. Has a bigger body to handle big hits. Good in zone coverage. Underrated IMO.

Jermale Hines - Ohio State, 6'1, 219 lbs, great in run support. Adequate in coverage but is better as a hard hitter. 4th round or later would be best here. I hate OSU but Hines might be a good fit.

CB
Ras-I Dowling - Virginia, 6'1, 198 lbs, a taller CB that can play both man and zone well. Solid in run support. If the Colts took him in the 2nd I wouldn't mind. Underrated IMO.

Davon House - New Mexico, 6', 200 lbs, perfect size and attitude for the Colts. Good tackler, physical in pass coverage and run support. Average speed for a CB. Reminds me of Kelvin Hayden before he started to suck.

LB
Dontay Moch - Nevada, 6'1, 248 lbs, INCREDIBLE 4.4 speed that does translate onto the field. High motor guy, I'd like to see him on the Colts roster.

Mark Herzlich, Boston College, 6'4, 244 lbs, great leader with good football IQ and aggressiveness. His body will only get better as he is recovering from chemo during his Jr. year. Good vs. the run and in coverage. Slow and a health concern, no higher than round 4 here.

Martez Wilson, Illinois, 6'3, 250 lbs, great speed and blitzing ability. Punishing hitter. There are some health concerns. Not sure if he fits what the Colts want to do since he is so big but he is fast so that shouldn't matter. Seems like a good fit at SLB.

MaxV
04-29-2011, 01:18 PM
I gotta be honest.

Bowers is on top of my list right now.

I know that DE isn't a big need, but I think he can be an absolute dominant force that makes a huge difference every time he is on the field.

Plus he can play some UT (in certain situations) also.

I have absolutely no clue why he is still on the board. He'll probably be picked early 2nd.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Max, I keep hearing his knee is in terrible shape. That's the only explanation I can think of. He had surgery and the condition might be "degenerative".

RagingColt
04-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I think the Jags and Titans both set themselves back by reaching so much on QBs. Both Locker and Gabbert are at best 2nd round values. . . . I'd have no issue with the Colts picking Sash in the 2nd round. While Melvin played some great minutes for us as 1B starter the past few years, he's at best a strong reserve and doesn't offer the run support and play making abilities the defense needs. Sash would be an upgrade-I don't want to see Aaron Francisco as a starter again, ever. We still need an upgrade at DT to line up with Fili. If we end up picking a guard or a RT prospect, please let them be above average run blockers. It's sucked the last 3-4 years watch us line up in shotgun on 3rd and 1 and pass. While the Castonzo selection is great for our passing game, I'm hoping he's not a slouch on run blocking.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I think Sash's value is more in the 3rd. I like him but there are a couple others (Deandre McDaniel) that I like as much. I completely agree with your comments on Bullitt. He's not a starting SS. He is a great backup to both safety positions.

I think the Titans will be better off with Locker (who I think went from overrated to underrated very quickly) than the Jags will with Ponder (I was cackling when that happened). However, I am thrilled with the idea of Freeney and Mathis going after two newbie QBs 4 times a year.

MaxV
04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Max, I keep hearing his knee is in terrible shape. That's the only explanation I can think of. He had surgery and the condition might be "degenerative".

You might be right. I guess these teams know something about him.

There are plenty of other very interesting guys still left on the board.

I've already mentioned Paea before. Austin and Casey are interesting DT prospects also.

Moffitt or Cannon at OG.

RagingColt
04-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Colts trade up to select Ben Ijalana T from Villanova. Sounds like he can be an asset in the run game which would be a major plus. Hopefully he replaces Deim on the right side or at the very least play guard. Yet to hear what we gave up to move 5 spots in the 2nd round.

UKfan
04-29-2011, 08:50 PM
So pleased we took Drake Nevis, love that guy!

RagingColt
04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
He's a bit of a tweener but should be a huge upgrade over Muir. We need to look at Safety on day 3 with our 4th pick. Sash might still be there on Saturday in the 4th . . . What value pick should we get for our 6th?

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 09:16 PM
OT, OT, and DT. It's hard to imagine the draft going better than that, even if I might've picked different players.

In the 4th I want DeAndre McDaniel or Tyler Sash, and I am leaning toward McDaniel right now. In the 6th I just want a guy to contribute on special teams and maybe compete for the SLB spot.

falloutboy14
04-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Marcus Cannon, G TCU, might be worth it if he falls to the 6th. He's got a treatable cancer, so he presumably will be out of football for a season. In addition, no clue what the treatment process would do to his body. But 2/3rd round talent with a year off & whatever risk is worth it.

Dam8610
04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
So after questioning the pick last night, Polian knocks rounds two and three out of the park. Ijalana will contribute from Day 1 somewhere along the OL, and I'll wager he ends up the team's starting LT. Then Nevis is great value at the end of Round 3 and could make a fantastic duo for a long time with Fili Moala. I'm starting to love this draft class, get a SS and a C on Day 3, and it will be a better class than I ever hoped for.

Dam8610
04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Marcus Cannon, G TCU, might be worth it if he falls to the 6th. He's got a treatable cancer, so he presumably will be out of football for a season. In addition, no clue what the treatment process would do to his body. But 2/3rd round talent with a year off & whatever risk is worth it.

If the Colts grab Cannon in Round 6, I'll do naked cartwheels down the street.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, 6th rounder for Cannon is easy. I bet he goes in the 4th or 5th though.

MaxV
04-29-2011, 09:36 PM
If Castonzo is as good as THEY THINK he is and if Ijalana and Drake Nevis are as good as I THINK they are, this could be a great draft.

I absolutely love the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I think Nevis could be that pass-rushing UT that we have been looking for.

I really hope these guys work out for us, that could make our team MUCH stronger.

falloutboy14
04-29-2011, 09:40 PM
If we hit a home run tomorrow like we did today, this could be my favorite draft going back to '06. It's just an amazing mix of value & need. Castonzo could have gone around 13-16, Ijalana was sniffing the bottom of the first at one point. If these tackles play like they should this set up the team for years to come.

Dam8610
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
All I know is Charlie Johnson and Ryan Diem will NOT be the starters at OT next year, and that makes me extremely happy.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 09:45 PM
This is a very exciting draft. I can't help but think of how much better it would be if we'd taken Carimi in the 1st but I still can't complain too much. I am getting excited about Nevis.

falloutboy14
04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Not only that, but it's 3 guys who will have an instant impact. I can't imagine a situation where Castonzo/Ijalana aren't on the field, and Nevis should be rotating in. Not like Hughes/Moala being inactive 70% of the year.

I'd like to see an interior lineman, but with Hughes, these 3, and all the injured guys back, we're ready to go.

MaxV
04-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, I don't know about that, Dam.

Starting 2 rookies on the edge wouldn't fly with Polian or Caldwell imo.

I think Ijalana starts at guard.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure Nevis' impact will be instant since rookie DTs rarely make an impact. I think he'll be a 3rd down DT most of this year if and when he does play. I am excited about his potential though.

RCAChainGang
04-30-2011, 02:40 AM
Thrilled to get Nevis.
The only question I have is who the hell is gonna play safety?
Bullit? Please no...
I'm really hoping for Sash. The guy is just physical, and we have been known to take Iowa players.
Is it possible Ahmad Black falls?

Dam8610
04-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Well, I don't know about that, Dam.

Starting 2 rookies on the edge wouldn't fly with Polian or Caldwell imo.

I think Ijalana starts at guard.

Charlie Johnson AND Ryan Diem will not start. One of them might, but not both. Hopefully neither, but that's probably wishful thinking for me. Ijalana probably starts off at OG and kicks out to RT next year if everything goes according to plan.

Seamus2602
04-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Charlie Johnson AND Ryan Diem will not start. One of them might, but not both. Hopefully neither, but that's probably wishful thinking for me. Ijalana probably starts off at OG and kicks out to RT next year if everything goes according to plan.

If I was a betting man I would suggest that Charlie Johnson will start the year at Tackle. Which tackle spot will depend on Castonzo's performance in preseason and Training Camp. If Johnson is at LT then Castonzo will start at RT. If Castonzo is at LT then Johnson will start at RT. Ijalana will start at LG until he develops at first and then will move to RT.

Starting Line (probably):

Johnson - Ijalana - Saturday - Pollak - Castonzo

Long term Line:

Castonzo - Johnson - Pollak - RG - Ijalana

falloutboy14
04-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Starting Line (probably):

Johnson - Ijalana - Saturday - Pollak - Castonzo

Long term Line:

Castonzo - Johnson - Pollak - RG - Ijalana

McClendon is supposed to be starting or competing to start at one of the guard spots this year. I think Pollak is better suited to be a center and he might replace Saturday at some point very soon. My starting line is:

Castonzo, McClendon, Saturday/Pollak, Ijalana, Johnson

I agree that in time Ijalana moves to RT, and we find a new RG. Johnson can provide depth at that point. It's very comforting to know that first, with Ijalana/McClendon as guards we might be able to run the ball. Second, we might be a guard, and maybe a center away from a re-vamped offensive line.

Who knows, maybe we'll hit free agency, pick up a Gaither or a Gallery and really be set. We got Diem's and Sander's cap space still.

Regarding the 4th & 6th round picks, I'm hoping we pick up a safety and a 1-tech in the two picks. I like Tyler Sash as much as everyone else, but if there's a run at safety, then a big guy like Ian Williams or Jerrel Powe could help reinforce the run defense.

Seamus2602
04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Colts just drafted Delone Carter. A good pass protector and good out of the backfield as a receiver. Does this spell the end of Addai's time in Indy?

falloutboy14
04-30-2011, 02:20 PM
I think in part it depends on the market that Addai can garner. His time in Indy, he hasn't been asked to do tasks which most teams value. So if you're talking about pass-heavy teams who value a pass-blocker/receiver out of the backfield and have a QB need, you're talking about a limited number of teams. Addai's our most reliable RB, and assuming no one throws money at him I'm sure we'll sign him to another contract.

MaxV
04-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Honestly, I don't like this Safety class at all.

Yes, SS is a need, but I really don't see any guy in this class that is an upgrade over Bullitt.

MaxV
04-30-2011, 03:10 PM
I like the Carter pick also. I love short and stocky RBs. Big pain in the ass tackling those guys.

I think this guy should be a good rotational back. And with all the injury issues that our backs have, this guy could certainly help.

MaxV
04-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Our pick coming up.

Still some players that I like left on the board.

MaxV
04-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Chris L. Rucker. Corner with good size.

I don't know him. Maybe projects at safety?

killxswitch
04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
I wish we could sign UDFA's because I really want Deandre McDaniel. I think Rucker will be a CB, not a S.

Seamus2602
05-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I wish we could sign UDFA's because I really want Deandre McDaniel. I think Rucker will be a CB, not a S.

I wanted Indy to draft McDaniel in the 4th Round so if we could get him as an UDFA then I'd be over the moon.

killxswitch
05-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I wanted Indy to draft McDaniel in the 4th Round so if we could get him as an UDFA then I'd be over the moon.

You and me both. I know he had the assault charge (was not convicted) in 08 but he has some serious skills at S.

Seamus2602
05-01-2011, 10:02 AM
You and me both. I know he had the assault charge (was not convicted) in 08 but he has some serious skills at S.

He accepted a pre-trial motion to avoid the convction though. But he's turned his life around. Since the incident is been a very Indy like player. Team captain, smart, hard working, spends a lot of time in the film room apparently. So all in all I really would like the team to bring him in as soon as the lockout is lifted again.

MaxV
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
BTW, I keep hearing that the addition of Castonzo means that Charlie Johnson can start at guard.

I think that's a terrible idea. CJ gets pushed around by 260lbs speed rushers, I don't see how he would open running lanes against 300+lbs DTs.

killxswitch
05-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I agree, I don't want him at guard. I think he should play RT. Ideally he would go back to being the 6th OLman super sub, but I don't think we're there yet.

Dam8610
05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Colts just drafted Delone Carter. A good pass protector and good out of the backfield as a receiver. Does this spell the end of Addai's time in Indy?

Doubt it, given the size (5'9" 222), it likely spells the end for Mike Hart.

killxswitch
05-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Doubt it, given the size (5'9" 222), it likely spells the end for Mike Hart.

I hope they use him more than Mike Hart.

MaxV
05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I loved Mike Hart. But yeah, Carter will probably take his spot.

A more interesting situation will be with the DL.

As of right now:

DE - Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Foster, Chick, Dawson
DT - Moala, Nevis, Johnson, Muir, Mathews, Pressley

I'm hoping Dawson is out.

killxswitch
05-04-2011, 01:23 PM
I'd forgotten about both Chick and Pressley. I really hope they re-sign A Johnson. Muir can go. Between Chick and Dawson I don't really care which they keep, I don't want either one playing except on special teams.

MaxV
05-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Here's an article regarding the remaining Colts' needs:

Safety: Melvin Bullitt may wind up a retainable restricted free agent. Even if they can keep him, safety is a thin spot that needs depth. Because the position is thin around the league, if Bullitt does become a free agent, heíll be attractive to a lot of teams. The Colts have a glue guy in Antoine Bethea at free safety, but need a strong safety option.

Receiver: Theyíve got a solid group here with Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, Anthony Gonzalez and even Blair White. But there are injury concerns with Collie and Gonzalez, and although the guys beyond Wayne can all be major contributors, none of them will be a clear-cut No. 1 option for the team when Wayne starts to slow. Perhaps they donít have to worry about it for another year, but itíd be nice to have that guy in house.

Kicker: Adam Vinatieri is a free agent under any scenario. It makes sense to re-sign a reliable, clutch guy even if long-distance range may be a question. But if someone else makes him a big offer, the Colts will be in need.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/23677/remaining-work-indianapolis-colts

Not a bad list, although I would still put O-line up there, even if both Castonzo and Ijalana contribute from day 1.

killxswitch
05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Best option for the Colts at SS would be to retain Bullitt as a RFA and bring in some other guys to compete for the starting job. No long-term contract for him, I hope.

MaxV
05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Bullitt is ok.

I know you guys, along with other Colts' fans, were pulling for Colts to draft a SS prospect in this draft, but this year's safety class sucked. I don't think Sash would be an upgrade over Melvin. Maybe we can get McDaniel, but honestly, I think he's overrated also.

Maybe there could be a cheap, under the radar SS free agent out there.

falloutboy14
05-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Anyone put any thought into bringing in an O-lineman in free agency? I know we don't delve into free agency, but we're also often attempting to retain a key player. Obviously there's Manning, which will make or break this possibility, but I don't expect Addai or others to require too much to keep. Not only that, but for the next few years, it's likely to be the same case. For the most part, our young guys aren't superstars in the making. The only young players who I think are necessary to retain are Powers and Collie. In addition, with the loss of Sanders and ideally Diem and/or Saturday, we could have some room to work with.

All that said, if we could get a Robert Gallery or Davin Joseph quality guard, or a tackle, imagine what it could do for our O-line.

RagingColt
05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
My dream version of the Colts starting O-Line after the bye week but preferably from week 1 on:

LT - Castonzo
LG - McClendon
C- Saturday
RG - Ijalana
RT - Linkenbach/Johnson

I really don't want to see Pollak or DeVan at either guard spot. Pollak would be fine at center but I don't see the team benching Saturday at all this year regardless of on the field performance. I'd like to see Link win the RT spot and have Charlie be our 6th lineman which he's better suited to be. Diem and his contract can be cut. He played great as a 4th rounder for us for many years but he's slipped a bunch in the past three years.

Bring in a few UDFA SS prospects and bring in a scub vet FA to compete. Agree on the Bullit observation made by Killswitch, if he's playing for on a one year deal that's ok. He's not the future at the position and if he got beat out of the starting job he'd at least be a key ST performer. I can see why Polian and company skipped drafting a S in this draft. My bad on wanting the Colts to draft one this year. The need though is still obviously there.

MaxV
05-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't call that O-Line a "dream".

killxswitch
05-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Bullitt is ok.

I know you guys, along with other Colts' fans, were pulling for Colts to draft a SS prospect in this draft, but this year's safety class sucked. I don't think Sash would be an upgrade over Melvin. Maybe we can get McDaniel, but honestly, I think he's overrated also.

Maybe there could be a cheap, under the radar SS free agent out there.

Ha ha, overrated by who? I'll assume just me, since none of the 32 teams rated him highly enough to draft him.

Here's a post I made on coltfreaks.com about SS options:

The draft took care of OT and to a lesser extent DT needs and IMO did it well. But the Polians obviously didn't like the safety options since they didn't draft any.

So who starts at strong safety next year? It needs to be someone with speed that can support the run and still play deep coverage.

Options:

Donte Whitner - A first round draft pick by the Bills in 06. Possibly underrated by Bills fans. Had a lot of tackles last year. Seems kind of stupid but we don't have a team of Rhodes Scholars. Good size and speed. The Bills GM appears to not want him back but he might want too much money.

Dawan Landry - Good in-the-box safety, excels in run support, but struggles more in coverage and in making downfield tackles. I don't think he's that great of an option.

Tom Zbikowski - RFA for the Ravens and seems to be better than Landry in coverage while still being good in run support. If the tender is low enough it might be worth snapping him up.

Jarrad Page - Backing up Patrick Chung in NE right now, had a contract tiff with the Chiefs. He is a big strong in-the-box SS that has made a number of game-sealing INTs. Also a good ST player.

Melvin Bullitt - Says he can't imagine coming back to the Colts unless it's with a long-term contract. I am sure he's looking to get paid but I am not sure he is worth a long term starting SS contract. He is a FS playing SS, and his best spot IMO is as a great backup, not a mediocre starter. He is at least proven and a known quantity, I just think the Colts can do better. Shoulder may be a recurring injury.

Al Afalava - A mini-linebacker type with good size and hitting but suspect in coverage. A Colts ERFA so he will probably be around to compete if Bullitt is'nt given a long-term contract.

Jamie Silva - A ST player and career backup.

Chip Vaughn - Good size but I haven't seen enough of him yet to say much. Seems like he has good size (6'2, 215) and speed, the Saints wanted to try him at FS.

DeAndre McDaniel - Will be an UDFA once the NFL stops being stupid, and I think he is underrated at this point. Great size, hard hitter and tackler, good enough speed, good hands though his INTs were down last year.

edit: Forgot about Jeron Johnson, another UDFA that was a hard hitting intimidator in college. He put on some weight to get stronger, so it will be important to see if he kept his 4.5 speed.

killxswitch
05-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Anyone put any thought into bringing in an O-lineman in free agency? I know we don't delve into free agency, but we're also often attempting to retain a key player.

All that said, if we could get a Robert Gallery or Davin Joseph quality guard, or a tackle, imagine what it could do for our O-line.

I've wanted Joseph for months. Also, Logan Mankins is possibly going to be a free agent. Gallery would be a nice addition for the run game but he is getting old. Which is weird because I clearly remember all the hype surrounding him pre-draft.

MaxV
05-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes, I meant he is overrated by the posters here.

I'm not against signing McDaniel, I just don't think he'll be anything more then an average starter.

Good post, killxswitch. I agree with you.

The options out there aren't great. I would sign Bullitt to a 2-year deal and try to bring someone in next year's draft to be eventual replacement.

killxswitch
05-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Max have you seen the quote by Bullitt that he doesn't want to come back to the Colts unless it's for a long-term deal? I read it on his Rotoworld player page. I agree that a 2 year contract would be ideal. It just looks like the Colts can't count on him agreeing to that.

MaxV
05-05-2011, 12:11 PM
It depends on what the market is out there for him.

I mean, he can say whatever he wants, but if there is no team out there willing to give him a long-term deal, then what leverage does he have?

He's not a franchise player. He's a "fill-the-position-for-1-or-2-years" kind of a player.

killxswitch
05-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I agree. Hopefully he doesn't take a long time looking around in free agency. Though I suppose it isn't even for sure that he will be unrestricted.

MaxV
05-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Polian has good history of finding talented players that other teams try to sneak through the practice squad.

Maybe he can find an O-lineman and a safety.

Dam8610
05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
As long as one good OG can be found between Diem, Thomas, DeVan and Pollak, I think the OL will be fine. Of course that means starting the year with bookend rookies, but in my opinion it offers the Colts their best possible lineup:

LT: Castonzo
LG: McClendon
OC: Saturday
RG: (winner of 4 mentioned above)
RT: Ijalana

With backups, this lineup looks like:

LT: Castonzo/Ijalana
LG: McClendon/(one of 4)
OC: Saturday/Richard
RG: (winner of 4)/(2nd place of 4)
RT: Ijalana/Johnson

With the two that don't make the cut at RG (my guess being Pollak and DeVan) being cut. That leaves holes beyond the 2011 season at OC and RG, though if the Colts are high on McClendon at OC, then it's a matter of finding a LG and RG, except if they also like Thomas or whoever wins that RG spot (unless it's Diem, which I think it very well could be) at one of the OG spots, then it's simply a matter of finding another OG. Saturday and Diem have to be replaced in all capacities by 2013 IMO.

Seamus2602
05-07-2011, 03:28 PM
As long as one good OG can be found between Diem, Thomas, DeVan and Pollak, I think the OL will be fine. Of course that means starting the year with bookend rookies, but in my opinion it offers the Colts their best possible lineup:

LT: Castonzo
LG: McClendon
OC: Saturday
RG: (winner of 4 mentioned above)
RT: Ijalana

With backups, this lineup looks like:

LT: Castonzo/Ijalana
LG: McClendon/(one of 4)
OC: Saturday/Richard
RG: (winner of 4)/(2nd place of 4)
RT: Ijalana/Johnson

With the two that don't make the cut at RG (my guess being Pollak and DeVan) being cut. That leaves holes beyond the 2011 season at OC and RG, though if the Colts are high on McClendon at OC, then it's a matter of finding a LG and RG, except if they also like Thomas or whoever wins that RG spot (unless it's Diem, which I think it very well could be) at one of the OG spots, then it's simply a matter of finding another OG. Saturday and Diem have to be replaced in all capacities by 2013 IMO.

Talk coming out of Indy is that both Charlie Johnson and Ben Ijalana are penciled in as the season starters at the two Guard spots with Ijalana long term projected at RT.

MaxV
05-07-2011, 05:31 PM
CJ isn't a good guard.

Dam8610
05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Talk coming out of Indy is that both Charlie Johnson and Ben Ijalana are penciled in as the season starters at the two Guard spots with Ijalana long term projected at RT.

I sure hope not, Johnson sucks there and Ijalana's talent would be wasted there (at least until he moved to RT).

RCAChainGang
05-11-2011, 01:04 AM
What was the thinking behind drafting Rucker.

I've heard he has off the field issues and I didn't see corner as a very high need. Does he have some potential?

killxswitch
05-11-2011, 09:04 AM
What was the thinking behind drafting Rucker.

I've heard he has off the field issues and I didn't see corner as a very high need. Does he have some potential?

Rucker was drafted because we suck at 3rd and short, and because we've been abused by MJD for years so it would be nice to have our own little bowling ball to abuse opposing defenses. Not that I think Carter will be as good as MJD, but he will be that type of back.

MaxV
05-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Rucker was BPA, that's all.

And I think that's absolutely the right approach in the lower rounds.

killxswitch
05-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Rucker was drafted because we suck at 3rd and short, and because we've been abused by MJD for years so it would be nice to have our own little bowling ball to abuse opposing defenses. Not that I think Carter will be as good as MJD, but he will be that type of back.

Woops, I feel stupid. I was talking about Carter, you asked about Rucker. I don't know much about him. Hopefully he can at least be a better than Lacey.

RCAChainGang
05-19-2011, 12:48 AM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=44eea325-eb95-427d-b81e-af4da3a3886d

Little article about UDFA.
Anybody you guys are eying?

killxswitch
05-19-2011, 08:46 AM
My list, in order of interest:

DeAndre McDaniel (S, Clemson)
Mark Herzlich (LB, Boston College)
Jaron Johnson (S, Boise St.)
Iam Williams (DT, Notre Dame)
Deunta Williams (S, UNC)
Kai Forbath (K, UCLA)

MaxV
05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
As you guys already might know, I'm a big Penn State fan. I really like what I saw from Pat Devlin whenever he got playing time for PSU.

I think he was a bit of a victim of a deep QB class. Most years, I think he gets drafted. He has ability.

Other then him, the guys that Killxswitch mentioned are high on my list also. Plus:

Joe Lefeged (S) Rutgers ... Big and fast
Steven Friday (DE) Virginia Tech ... I know, I know, we don't need another undersized DE, but I personally think this guy is very underrated.
David Mims (OT) Virginia Union .... 6'-8" 330lbs
Jeff Tarpinian (ILB) Iowa ... athletic LB from a school that produces good NFL players
Ryan Jones (CB) North Missouri St. ... interesting CB prospect that might be a fit for us and might project at safety
Jarriel King (OL) South Carolina ... I saw him play a couple of times and thought he looked pretty good
Ricardo Lockette (WR) Fort Valley St. ... 6'-2" 211 with 4.37 speed

Strong Safety and O-Line are our biggest remaining needs imo, so I hope we can find some interesting prospects at those positions specifically.

killxswitch
05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Max, I read that Lefeged looked pretty bad at the Senior Bowl. I didn't watch any Rutgers football this year. What kind of player is he?

MaxV
05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Based on a couple of times that I've seen him, he is a physical safety that plays well in run support. He is inconsistent in coverage, but has potential.

RCAChainGang
05-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Based on a couple of times that I've seen him, he is a physical safety that plays well in run support. He is inconsistent in coverage, but has potential.

That doesn't sound too bad. If we had a safety who could sniff out the run like Bob did we would be much better. Of course we are hoping our D-line improves this year, but I think a safety to come up and make plays in the run is exactly what we need. You can't really coach toughness. I think coverage could be coached up depending on his potential.

killxswitch
05-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I think our starting SS needs to be a hitter, and enforcer first. Let Bethea roam in coverage and get picks. Let Hayden, Powers, and Tryon play their man closer and actually COVER. And let our new SS come up and hit the ball carrier HARD. If that's a RB trying to stretch to the sideline, great. If that's a slot receiver or TE catching a ball over the middle, make him pay or hopefully make him drop the ball. We need someone to lay the wood like Bob did (or as close as possible) without getting hurt all the time. The Colts need to actually get some turnovers this year and make the other team pay for taking the easy underneath throw.

killxswitch
05-20-2011, 12:59 AM
If the Colts don't take a stab at an UDFA SS, what about these free agents?

- Quintin Mikell - Eagles
- Roman Harper - Saints
- Dawan Landry - Ravens
- Donte Whitner - Bills
- Nedu Ndukwe - Bengals
- Jarrad Page - Patriots

Seems like there should be some options in here for the Colts to get a legit starting SS.

MaxV
05-20-2011, 07:21 AM
I forgot to mention possibly signing either Noel Devine or Derrick Locke to compete for returner spot.

RCAChainGang
05-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Roman Harper and to be honest Dawon Landry is the only other one on that list I know.

Dam8610
05-31-2011, 08:05 PM
If the Colts don't take a stab at an UDFA SS, what about these free agents?

- Quintin Mikell - Eagles
- Roman Harper - Saints
- Dawan Landry - Ravens
- Donte Whitner - Bills
- Nedu Ndukwe - Bengals
- Jarrad Page - Patriots

Seems like there should be some options in here for the Colts to get a legit starting SS.

Mikell, Whitner (cheap competition), and Page (cheap competition) seem like interesting options. Mikell would be the only one that could walk in and be a starter Day 1, but the other two could at least challenge Bullit or be special teams contributors. The only one on that list that I am fairly certain would be useless is Roman Harper, he's been terrible every time I've watched him play.

RCAChainGang
06-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Do you think the Colts are confident in Bullit for a starter?

I sure hope not.

killxswitch
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Do you think the Colts are confident in Bullit for a starter?

I sure hope not.

I think Bill Polian would've been fine with it. Not sure if Chris will be.

RCAChainGang
06-06-2011, 09:06 AM
What kinda comp pick would we get for Sanders?
Is that some possible thinking behind it?

killxswitch
06-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Since he was released I don't think we get any comp picks. Only players lost to free agency result in a pick. I think he was released with the idea of re-signing him to a lesser contract, but he got a good offer from SD.

America
06-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Peyton Manning is winning the ESPN vote of best quarterback with 44%. Brady is in second with 33% and Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees round out the rest.

killxswitch
06-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Because he's the BEST. I hope his new contract doesn't cripple the team though.

Seamus2602
06-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Because he's the BEST. I hope his new contract doesn't cripple the team though.

If anything his new contract should help the team (at least this year). Currently Manning is due to get a cap hit of about $23M. That would put the Colts cap at around the $120M mark. By resigning him to a long term deal that number probably drops $7-8M, giving them more room to resign the likes of Addai and Vinatieri.

Sloopy
07-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Peyton Manning is winning the ESPN vote of best quarterback with 44%. Brady is in second with 33% and Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees round out the rest.

I find debates over who the best QB in the league is to be comical. If you ask any knowledgeable person who isn't a pats, saints or GB fan they will tell you Peyton Manning hands down, if you ask the players and coaches themselves, there is nothing scarier than Peyton with the ball in his hands.

Sloopy
07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Kind of starting to worry about how the lock out is gunna affect our team...

We have two rookie tackles coming into the fold and they haven't even been able to take a look at the playbook yet. Considering the number of audibles and protection audibles we use in our offense I am worried this lack of study time may make them ineffective as starters on our team.

We brought these guys in to help keep Manning upright but if they are blowing protection assignments they wont be of much use. Considering Manning's recent neck surgery, this is a major problem. Also factor in that this teams window may be closing, this lockout could hit the Colts hard, especially if it lasts into training camp.

killxswitch
07-08-2011, 12:57 PM
SVM, your sig is disgusting but you make good points. Though I am guessing Saturday, Diem, or even Manning himself has been in contact with the new tackles and has given them playbooks and some instruction. That doesn't replace coaching but I don't think they'll get to camp completely unprepared.

I am more concerned about the DT and SS positions. IMO we need at least one impact free agent at either position, preferably both. At DT we really need a 4-3 NT to rotate with A Johnson. Aubrayo Franklin or Brandon Mebane would be great. At SS we need a guy that can play in the box so Bethea can get back to breaking up passes and causing turnovers instead of doing two jobs at once. But with such a short preseason our options are going to be limited. I was hoping for DeAndre McDaniel as the SS of the future. IMO with a full offseason he would've been the next big Colts undrafted free agent. But with no time and possibly no initial contact made at all, we will probably just see Melvin Bullitt or possibly a high-priced vet.

Sloopy
07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
HAHA the sig is loud and proud

I certainly hope that you are right about the players being in contact, and if there is anyone who would almost be as good as being in contact with a coaching staff its Saturday and/or Manning.

I agree that the shortened offseason should have an impact on UDFA but it also may have an interesting impact on free agency, especially the part being discussed about teams being aloud to match offers on up to 3 free agents. Might see some interesting "poison pill" clauses

... but in regard to us, I do see us going the seasoned vet route. I think I would love to see Zibikowski if the Ravens let him go. He can play in the box and drop back if needed, and could add something to special teams and also he might not cost as much as some of the other guys out there.

Sloopy
07-20-2011, 09:05 PM
So does having a little less than $3 mil to play with under the new cap about to be implemented hurt our chances of signing said free agent safety? We still need to sign Manning as well as our rookies. Looks like Addai will most likely have to go (not upset about this, just saying)

falloutboy14
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Not so sure I trust any of these numbers. Read somewhere that we'd have about $8M left after signing all FAs worth keeping. Last time there was a cap, it was $129M I believe. At that time, we had Sanders, Lilja, Brock, & Marvin Harrison's dead cap space with us. Since then, only Bethea's gotten a new high-price contract. Not to mention Diem can be released & Hayden could/should be restructured if need be.

I realize that contracts fluctuate yearly, but until it happens I'll be under the impression that we can keep the players that are worth keeping and maybe have some wiggle room to bring in some moderately priced FA.

killxswitch
07-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm not believing anything I read about the Colts' cap situation until the CBA is signed and details about the new cap are released. I've read huge variations in cap space for the Colts, from $3M to over $50M.

Seamus2602
07-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Here is where I have the Colts now, estimating what the 2011 Cap hits will be. The Rookie contracts, as well as new contracts, for this year and last year are estimates as I can't find breakdown of new contracts. The hits are $M, with the hits in brackets being those under contract but not counting against the Cap (only the top 53 contracts count against the cap). All told it puts the current cap at $116.72M. This isn't completely accurate but it does say to me that the Colts will have to restructure some deals or cut some players to resign key free agents. As soon as Manning's contract is signed I imagine the number will come down give us some space. Similarly Diem is due $5.4M next season and neither has the skills or the ability to stay healthy to deserve that. Hayden won't be touched this year as he still has about $8.85M of guaranteed money against his cap hit. It means that to cut Hayden would only net a saving of under about half a million dollars.

Peyton Manning - QB - $23.00 - Franchised
Curtis Painter - QB - $0.50

Donald Brown - RB - $1.65
Delone Carter - RB - $0.45 - Rookie
Javarris James - RB - $0.41
Devin Moore - RB - $0.41
Joseph Addai - RB - UFA
Mike Hart - RB - RFA
Dominic Rhodes - RB - UFA

Reggie Wayne - WR - $6.19
Pierre GarÁon - WR - $0.58
Austin Collie - WR - $0.59
Anthony Gonzalez - WR - $1.50
Blair White - WR - $0.41
Taj Smith - WR - $0.41
Chris Brooks - WR - ($0.3)
Kole Heckendorf - WR - ($0.3)

Dallas Clark - TE - $7.72
Brody Eldridge - TE - $0.45
Jacob Tamme - TE - $0.66
Rob Myers - TE - ($0.3)
Gijon Robinson - TE - RFA
Tom Santi - TE - RFA

Anthony Castonzo - OT - $1.59 - Rookie
Ryan Diem - OT - $5.40
Jeff Linkenbach - OT - $0.41
Joe Reitz - OT - $0.41
Mike Tepper - OT - ($0.3)
James Williams - OT - ($0.3)
Casey Bender - OT - ($0.3)
Michael Toudouze - OT - ERFA

Mike Pollak - OG - $0.92
Ben Ijalana - OG - $0.88 - Rookie
Jacques McClendon - OG - $0.51
Jaimie Thomas - OG - $0.41
Charlie Johnson - OG - UFA
Kyle DeVan - OG - RFA

Jeff Saturday - C - $4.88
Jamey Richard - C - $0.57

Dwight Freeney - DE - $16.13
Robert Mathis - DE - $4.35
Jerry Hughes - DE - $1.56
John Chick - DE - ($0.3)
Eric Foster - DE - RFA
Keyunta Dawson - DE - UFA

Fili Moala - DT - $0.87
Ricardo Mathews - DT - $0.42
Drake Nevis - DT - $0.52 - Rookie
DeMario Pressley - DT - $0.48
John Gill - DT - ($0.3)
Daniel Muir - DT - UFA
Antonio Johnson - DT - UFA

Kavell Conner - WLB - $0.42
Clint Session - WLB - UFA

Gary Brackett - MLB - $4.40
Cody Glenn - MLB - $0.48

Pat Angerer - SLB - $0.74
Philip Wheeler - SLB - $0.64
Nate Triplett - SLB - $0.41
Tyjuan Hagler - SLB - UFA

Jerraud Powers - CB - $0.65
Kelvin Hayden - CB - $9.06
Justin Tryon - CB - $0.56
Jacob Lacey - CB - $0.48
Cornelius Brown - CB - $0.41
Kevin Thomas - CB - $0.52
Chris Rucker - CB - $0.36 - Rookie
Terrence Johnson - CB - ($0.3)
Jordan Hemby - CB - ($0.3)
Mike Richardson - CB - RFA

Antoine Bethea - FS - $7.75
Chip Vaughn - FS - $0.41
Brandon King - FS - $0.41
Ken Hamlin - FS - UFA
Al Afalava - FS - ERFA

Mike Newton - SS - $0.41
David Caldwell - SS - $0.41
Melvin Bullitt - SS - UFA
Aaron Francisco - SS - UFA
Jamie Silva - SS - RFA

Brett Swenson - K - $0.41
Adam Vinatieri - K - UFA

Pat McAfee - P - $0.41

Justin Snow - LS - $0.94

killxswitch
07-21-2011, 08:08 AM
It's disgusting how overpaid Hayden is. I wonder if the Colts try to restructure his contract. He's made a lot of money sitting on his ass.

Diem has to be cut. He's not due any guaranteed money and even if he were getting $1M his on-field performance wouldn't warrant it.

Also, I love Freeney, but damn his cap hit is enormous. I hope he is worth it this year. I hope the coaches know how to utilize him and the other players around him. I hope they get a NT that can command more than a single blocker so Freeney is not constantly doubled and tripled.

Dam8610
07-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Here is where I have the Colts now, estimating what the 2011 Cap hits will be. The Rookie contracts, as well as new contracts, for this year and last year are estimates as I can't find breakdown of new contracts. The hits are $M, with the hits in brackets being those under contract but not counting against the Cap (only the top 53 contracts count against the cap). All told it puts the current cap at $116.72M. This isn't completely accurate but it does say to me that the Colts will have to restructure some deals or cut some players to resign key free agents. As soon as Manning's contract is signed I imagine the number will come down give us some space. Similarly Diem is due $5.4M next season and neither has the skills or the ability to stay healthy to deserve that. Hayden won't be touched this year as he still has about $8.85M of guaranteed money against his cap hit. It means that to cut Hayden would only net a saving of under about half a million dollars.

Peyton Manning - QB - $23.00 - Franchised
Curtis Painter - QB - $0.50

Donald Brown - RB - $1.65
Delone Carter - RB - $0.45 - Rookie
Javarris James - RB - $0.41
Devin Moore - RB - $0.41
Joseph Addai - RB - UFA
Mike Hart - RB - RFA
Dominic Rhodes - RB - UFA

Reggie Wayne - WR - $6.19
Pierre GarÁon - WR - $0.58
Austin Collie - WR - $0.59
Anthony Gonzalez - WR - $1.50
Blair White - WR - $0.41
Taj Smith - WR - $0.41
Chris Brooks - WR - ($0.3)
Kole Heckendorf - WR - ($0.3)

Dallas Clark - TE - $7.72
Brody Eldridge - TE - $0.45
Jacob Tamme - TE - $0.66
Rob Myers - TE - ($0.3)
Gijon Robinson - TE - RFA
Tom Santi - TE - RFA

Anthony Castonzo - OT - $1.59 - Rookie
Ryan Diem - OT - $5.40
Jeff Linkenbach - OT - $0.41
Joe Reitz - OT - $0.41
Mike Tepper - OT - ($0.3)
James Williams - OT - ($0.3)
Casey Bender - OT - ($0.3)
Michael Toudouze - OT - ERFA

Mike Pollak - OG - $0.92
Ben Ijalana - OG - $0.88 - Rookie
Jacques McClendon - OG - $0.51
Jaimie Thomas - OG - $0.41
Charlie Johnson - OG - UFA
Kyle DeVan - OG - RFA

Jeff Saturday - C - $4.88
Jamey Richard - C - $0.57

Dwight Freeney - DE - $16.13
Robert Mathis - DE - $4.35
Jerry Hughes - DE - $1.56
John Chick - DE - ($0.3)
Eric Foster - DE - RFA
Keyunta Dawson - DE - UFA

Fili Moala - DT - $0.87
Ricardo Mathews - DT - $0.42
Drake Nevis - DT - $0.52 - Rookie
DeMario Pressley - DT - $0.48
John Gill - DT - ($0.3)
Daniel Muir - DT - UFA
Antonio Johnson - DT - UFA

Kavell Conner - WLB - $0.42
Clint Session - WLB - UFA

Gary Brackett - MLB - $4.40
Cody Glenn - MLB - $0.48

Pat Angerer - SLB - $0.74
Philip Wheeler - SLB - $0.64
Nate Triplett - SLB - $0.41
Tyjuan Hagler - SLB - UFA

Jerraud Powers - CB - $0.65
Kelvin Hayden - CB - $9.06
Justin Tryon - CB - $0.56
Jacob Lacey - CB - $0.48
Cornelius Brown - CB - $0.41
Kevin Thomas - CB - $0.52
Chris Rucker - CB - $0.36 - Rookie
Terrence Johnson - CB - ($0.3)
Jordan Hemby - CB - ($0.3)
Mike Richardson - CB - RFA

Antoine Bethea - FS - $7.75
Chip Vaughn - FS - $0.41
Brandon King - FS - $0.41
Ken Hamlin - FS - UFA
Al Afalava - FS - ERFA

Mike Newton - SS - $0.41
David Caldwell - SS - $0.41
Melvin Bullitt - SS - UFA
Aaron Francisco - SS - UFA
Jamie Silva - SS - RFA

Brett Swenson - K - $0.41
Adam Vinatieri - K - UFA

Pat McAfee - P - $0.41

Justin Snow - LS - $0.94

Isn't there a rule that only the Top 51 contracts count against the cap?

Dam8610
07-21-2011, 08:28 AM
It's disgusting how overpaid Hayden is. I wonder if the Colts try to restructure his contract. He's made a lot of money sitting on his ass.

Diem has to be cut. He's not due any guaranteed money and even if he were getting $1M his on-field performance wouldn't warrant it.

Also, I love Freeney, but damn his cap his is enormous. I hope he is worth it this year. I hope the coaches know how to utilize him and the other players around him. I hope they get a NT that can command more than a single blocker so Freeney is not constantly doubled and tripled.

If Diem isn't guaranteed anything, that's $5.4 million right there. Get Manning to sign a cap friendly deal and Hayden to restructure and you're in business for free agency.

Seamus2602
07-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Isn't there a rule that only the Top 51 contracts count against the cap?

It might be 51. I went with 53 because that's the number on a roster but it may be 51.

falloutboy14
07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Fairly sure it's 53. Hayden being the 3rd highest payed player is a little disgusting. That and the Sanders contract were the two I disagreed with over the last few years.

If we can get Manning's cap hit down to $20M & cut Diem, that should give us around $15M in cap room. Leaning towards letting Session test the market now to save money. Was really hoping we could keep Addai, bullit, C & A Johnson, and still get a FA.

killxswitch
07-21-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd say sign a couple of the high end UDFA SSs and LBs and let both Session and Bullitt test the market. Spreading the money out evenly to get a bunch of decent, solid players is a boring way to lose football games. I'd rather go young and lean at a few positions and bolster some others like DT and SS. No-namers at LB will look a lot better with a top DT in front of them.

Seamus2602
07-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Let's remember that Kelvin Hayden signed a new contract where he was coming off a stellar season. Excluding one game against the Lions, where the entire defence seemed to not show up and he was beaten a couple of times by Megatron, one for a touchdown, Hayden averaged less than 20 yards per game allowed and didn't give up a Touchdown.

killxswitch
07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Let's remember that Kelvin Hayden signed a new contract where he was coming off a stellar season. Excluding one game against the Lions, where the entire defence seemed to not show up and he was beaten a couple of times by Megatron, one for a touchdown, Hayden averaged less than 20 yards per game allowed and didn't give up a Touchdown.

And since then he's been injured or unimpressive.

Seamus2602
07-21-2011, 12:06 PM
And since then he's been injured or unimpressive.

That's the problem. He has been either injured or playing while hurt. But there have been times over the last two season when he has shown the level of ability and form that he showed before that contract. We need him to stay healthy because when he is healthy he is one of the top cover 2 corners in the league.

killxswitch
07-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I still question whether any cover 2 corner is worth the contract he got.

MaxV
07-21-2011, 10:56 PM
How much would it save us to cut Saturday?

He's massively overpaid now too.

killxswitch
07-21-2011, 11:36 PM

I agree but there's no way it happens.

Seamus2602
07-22-2011, 01:02 AM

About $2.4M. They'll never do it. Manning would throw a bit of a hissy fit not to mention the PR aspect of it. Let's remember to the average fan and those who don't really watch football Jeff Saturday was a pro-bowler last year. The team cut a pro-bowler to safe only a small amount of cap. Oh it just happens to be the team's union representative. It would make the team look petty.