PDA

View Full Version : Official Free Agency Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Xiomera
01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
The counterpart to the Draft discussion thread. Let's try and separate the two.

Can one of the Mods sticky this please?

Xiomera
01-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I'll begin by throwing this out there:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

Nnamdi Asomugha is a free agent now. Do we break the bank for him?

Newbs24
01-09-2011, 04:29 PM

For a guy that can shut down half the field? I say yes. Draft a DE and MLB and LT and we should be a very solid team.

wingboy2999
01-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I knew someone was going to bring him up. I'm down for it... but I don't see it happening. It'd be great.... but yeah.

Xiomera
01-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Which OLB do you guys like?

Chad Greenway is a pipe dream, I suppose.

Scotty D
01-10-2011, 05:00 AM
http://ten.247sports.com/Article/Stephen-Tulloch-not-sure-if-hell-be-back-in-Tennessee-10071

MLB Stephen Tulloch looks like he is going to hit the market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/29/cardinals-havent-shown-interest-in-re-signing-breaston/

Cardinals haven't shown interest in re-signing WR Steve Breaston

SINCE1978
01-10-2011, 08:44 AM
I say no to Nnamdi Asomugha. Just a gut feeling ...

CB Scenario: retain Houston / A. Smith (Jimmy Smith pick #45, Chykie Brown pick #77)

LB I like (a healthy) Paul Posluszny (who should of been ours with the Stanton debacle pick, but I'm not bitter @ MM or anything) :o)

LB Scenario: (All Big 10 starters) Carpertner / Posluszny / Levy (Von Miller pick #13, Casey Matthews pick #109)

Buffalo will probably lock up PP but it's a cool thought.

tblain1
01-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Not only yes but hell yes.

Xiomera
01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Tom Kowalski says the Lions will go for Nnamdi:

http://twitter.com/TomKowalski36/status/24526141326888960

Scotty D
01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Revis's contract was 4 years 32 million guaranteed, 46 million overall.

Prowler
01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
we probably 'saved' that much money by winning the final 4 games and not having to draft that high again.

SINCE1978
01-10-2011, 06:44 PM
we probably 'saved' that much money by winning the final 4 games and not having to draft that high again.

cutting Peterson's 8M helped too!

Prowler
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
the killer is doing a great job right now. he's building a bridge out of nothing that links us with nnamdi. nnamdi is probably sitting at home, reading espn insider and now he can think about the lions dline. all because of killer.

WMD
01-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Tom Kowalski says the Lions will go for Nnamdi:

http://twitter.com/TomKowalski36/status/24526141326888960
Er.. I'm sure about 100% of NFL teams will go after Nnamdi. Tom Kowalski still sucks.

cotts1
01-11-2011, 01:53 AM
I say no to Nnamdi Asomugha. Just a gut feeling ...

CB Scenario: retain Houston / A. Smith (Jimmy Smith pick #45, Chykie Brown pick #77)

LB I like (a healthy) Paul Posluszny (who should of been ours with the Stanton debacle pick, but I'm not bitter @ MM or anything) :o)

LB Scenario: (All Big 10 starters) Carpertner / Posluszny / Levy (Von Miller pick #13, Casey Matthews pick #109)

Buffalo will probably lock up PP but it's a cool thought.

Not sure how you could say no to going after 1 of the 2 true shutdown corners in the NFL. He is such a valuable commodity to a defense. The Raiders are insane for voiding this guys contract. And there is no guarantee Houston resigns with us.

<0% chance of happening but imagine if the Lions somehow landed Nnamdi. Traded up and drafted Patrick Peterson. Sign Tulloch, draft a mid round LB like Casey Matthews.... Ok, dream is over now.

SINCE1978
01-11-2011, 06:50 AM
He made 16M last year (roughly) & will fetch more than that on the open market as the #1 CB prospect ... happy hunting with Ford's $$ ...
He is a terrific talent, no question. I just still do not picture Detroit as the #1 off season option for a guy who could go anywhere. Still not picturing that :o)

I say draft the next potential Asomugha ... Did you see KC's secondary on Sunday? Filled with rookies & 2nd, 3rd year guys making plays. Strive for that .. .draft 2 CB's or a CB & S combo in the first 3 rounds that fits what Schwartz/Gun want. It's cheaper & you can mold them to your team. (ie Spievey) MM is proving he can hit on most of his draft picks, plus he was an NFL DB so he seems pretty dialed in at what he wants I believe.

tblain1
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
He made 16M last year (roughly) & will fetch more than that on the open market as the #1 CB prospect ... happy hunting with Ford's $$ ...
He is a terrific talent, no question. I just still do not picture Detroit as the #1 off season option for a guy who could go anywhere. Still not picturing that :o)

I say draft the next potential Asomugha ... Did you see KC's secondary on Sunday? Filled with rookies & 2nd, 3rd year guys making plays. Strive for that .. .draft 2 CB's or a CB & S combo in the first 3 rounds that fits what Schwartz/Gun want. It's cheaper & you can mold them to your team. (ie Spievey) MM is proving he can hit on most of his draft picks, plus he was an NFL DB so he seems pretty dialed in at what he wants I believe.

Just that simple? There aren't that many shutdown corners in the league to begin with and the two people like in the upcoming draft are probably out of reach.

I dunno... I see a guy out there who with our line can make a huge difference. If we make a play for him now and grab him that's a secondary upgrade of the highest magnitude. Its one less thing we "need" in the draft and then we can fall back to doing what successful teams do at the draft: take the best player available regardless of need.

detroit4life
01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
one of the best CBs in the league now at the age of 29.... of course you go for him. adding him and a full draft this team can be looking extremely good. Would completely change this defense adding him to our dline

noondog
01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Whether or not we should go after Nnamdi should not even be in question. As has been discussed, the only question is whether or not we can lure him to Detroit. His effect would be massive, period.

SINCE1978
01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Just that simple? There aren't that many shutdown corners in the league to begin with and the two people like in the upcoming draft are probably out of reach.

I dunno... I see a guy out there who with our line can make a huge difference. If we make a play for him now and grab him that's a secondary upgrade of the highest magnitude. Its one less thing we "need" in the draft and then we can fall back to doing what successful teams do at the draft: take the best player available regardless of need.

You make it sound like it's the Lions choice. Similar to the dillusional Michigan slappy who believed Harbaugh & then Miles were Michigan's choices & were looked over for another option. Like the AD & President opted to not bring them to Schembechler Hall or something ... Wrong! It's the other way around!
This guy plays in the Bay area for 16M/year! What in his right mind would bring him to Detroit to play for the Lions? Think logically ... I'm with noondog, this guy can name his ticket ... I was being realistic in the game plan with the draft scenarios etc ... never questioning his talent/ability. No doubt he shuts down 1/2 the field in passing (at a hefty price tag) but he IS NOT picking Ford Field as his home.

tblain1
01-11-2011, 03:26 PM
You make it sound like it's the Lions choice. Similar to the dillusional Michigan slappy who believed Harbough & then Miles were Michigan's choices & were looked over for another option. Like the AD & President opted to not bring them to Schembechler Hall or something ... Wrong! It's the other way around!
This guy plays in the Bay are for 16M/year! What in his right mind would bring him to Detroit to play for the Lions? Think logically ... I'm with noondog, this guy can name his ticket ... I was being realistic in the game plan with the draft scenarios etc ... never questioning his talent/ability. No doubt he shuts down 1/2 the field in passing (at a hefty price tag) but he IS NOT picking Ford Field as his home.

The question was whether Detroit should go after him. We'll leave it up to Nmandi whether he wants to make Detroit his home.

Sorry I mis-read your original post. I think I got the gist of your plan now: Don't expect him to land here, have a solid plan B. Make sense, I just hope our scouts can identify the right CBs. I wasn't overly impressed with Spivey during the few games I saw of him. Corner seems to be a hard position to scout projecting from NCAA to NFL.

Prowler
01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
i still don't understand this whole no collective bargaining agreement restrictions fully. are we only able to trade draft choices from here on out? no player swaps on draft day like usual? that will be boring and force GMs to actually scout and make good decisions.

dannyz
01-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Nnamdi wants to go to a good team. If he went to the Lions he would make them a good team with that D-Line and then the Lions would be able to Draft a guy Like Robert Quinn and make the D even better.

DrunkenLament
01-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Nnamdi wants to go to a good team. If he went to the Lions he would make them a good team with that D-Line and then the Lions would be able to Draft a guy Like Robert Quinn and make the D even better.

Why go to an ok team that he could make good, when he can go to a good team and make them great? I think it may come down to how much money we'd be willing to offer him but I feel its very unlikely he'll come here (though I always thought Nnamdi looked good in the Honolulu blue in Madden).

4thandGoal
01-12-2011, 08:47 AM
draft quinn at 13?

Not likely.

We should pursue Nmamdi.

we could be the team with crazy names that no one can pronounce.

Scotty D
01-12-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&line=198597&id=4153
Calvin Johnson has hit escalator clauses in his contract that spiked his 2011 salary from roughly $4 million to $10.45 million. His 2012 salary also skyrocketed from $4.6 million to $12.42 million. The 2011 salary is guaranteed, but the Lions may look to renegotiate this offseason. Regardless, Megatron is well worth $10-plus million per season. Still just 25, the most physically gifted receiver in football ranked in the top ten in the league in receiving yards and touchdowns in 2010 despite playing with three different quarterbacks and just three starts of Matt Stafford.

SINCE1978
01-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Stephen Tulloch & Nnamdi Asomugha are popular in this thread I see ... both solid players & both at positions of need for Detroit.

I am throwing another FA name out there. Carl Nicks G - Saints. This guy is going to be hard for New Orleans to keep with the $$ they recently shelled out at the other G spot for Jahri Evans. Just another wrinkle. Again, I am not a fan of this ideology, but Stephen Peterman is likely a Lion for the next couple of seasons. BOO! :o) (Schwartz has praised him & his contract is still valid) Just sort of seeing what everyone thought of the Nicks & the idea of him as a Lion.

Any chance?

noondog
01-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Nicks would be fantastic and a definite upgrade over Penalty-son, but I don't know if it would happen. If the Lions plan on spending money on a guard, I'd hope it would be Mankins.

SINCE1978
01-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Nicks would be fantastic and a definite upgrade over Penalty-son, but I don't know if it would happen. If the Lions plan on spending money on a guard, I'd hope it would be Mankins.

Mankins over Nicks ... huh.

cotts1
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
While I'm not opposed to an upgrade at RG, Peterman did play through a fairly significant foot injury for a good portion of the season. That may help explain his lack of push in run blocking and some of his penalties (trying to gain an edge bc of his foot). It may be in our best interest to just roll with Peterman as long as he comes back healthy. Our line seems to be building some continuity that should hopefully progress further next season.

Xiomera
01-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Without making any changes to the OLine, how can an improved running game be expected?

Have to get one new starter.

Scotty D
01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Without making any changes to the OLine, how can an improved running game be expected?

A healthy Jahvid Best. I really don't think the running game was that much of a concern towards the end of the season. Linehan did a great job of mixing in Stefan Logan, Morris, and a hobbled Best. Is Felton that great of a blocking FB? I really don't pay much attention to him.

SINCE1978
01-13-2011, 07:43 PM
In addition to a healthy Best, a healthy Stafford in turn helps the run game too. Getting leads on teams helps the run game :o) Carl Nicks or Logan Mankins helps the run game. Even in 09 when Peterman had a good season I was not a fan. His pass blocking (short arms) is below avg.
Pre-snap penalties are uncalled for on the line. (especially G) the freak'n ball is RIGHT next to you!! That goes for you to Corey Williams. You are a bad man on the field, but clean it up please. Most penalized defensive player in the NFL. Not a good title to carry.

noondog
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
The O-line simply could not open any holes up between the tackles, period. If anyone has the ability to squirt through little openings, it would have been Jahvid. If we do not upgrade the interior (hi Raiola and Peterman), then we need a back in the mould of Blount to crash his way through the line. One or the other imho.

As far as blaming Peterson's injury for his false starts and general retardedness this season, I'm not buying. Dude flat out killed some important drives on his own this year. Like, several.

SINCE1978
01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
The O-line simply could not open any holes up between the tackles, period. If anyone has the ability to squirt through little openings, it would have been Jahvid. If we do not upgrade the interior (hi Raiola and Peterman), then we need a back in the mould of Blount to crash his way through the line. One or the other imho.

As far as blaming Peterson's injury for his false starts and general retardedness this season, I'm not buying. Dude flat out killed some important drives on his own this year. Like, several.

I am with you on both points noondog ...

Raiola is getting up there in years played ... & lets face it Detroit is due for a few position overhauls due to "retirement" (or lack of production) from likely LT, C & K in the next 2 season (my guess).

LT - Linehan/Schwartz obviously were high on Jason Fox to take him with a 4th rd pick & then have him sit all season. It appears (not 100% sold on the idea myself) that they may be grooming him to replace Backus? Wasted pick otherwise & a 1st round pick would be wise here in 2012. (finally)

C - We could get Pouncey, Wisniewski or O'Dowd in the 2nd 3rd round this year & be done with it ... if not this draft, I bet this is Dom's last season probably not by choice) so 2012 we grab his replacement in a higher round pick. Done.

K - Rayner is 50/50 to me on being Hanson's replacement. Jason is money in the 50 yd range FG's still, but for whatever reason his punch on touching back the kick-off's just does not seem to be there. Plus 2 surgery's in th past 2 seasons? Usually the Garza winner can be drafted in like the 6th round. Maybe let the Rayner/Hanson battel work itself out & 2012 we draft a kicker?

Most every other position on Detroit's roster is young, but father time is catching up to these 3 positions ... thsoe are my solutions.

Newbs24
01-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Sounds good. I would not mind getting a good C to replace Dom. He was getting beat a ton this past year and looked to struggle as much as Petermen without the injuries.

I think ODowd is a stud. Pouncey is gone in the first. Either Pitt or Philly will grab him IMO.

SINCE1978
01-14-2011, 09:59 AM
The C out of Oregon St looks pretty sweet too. No to a 1st rd C. Tough position to judge, the smarts must be there as well with so many line calls falling on him. That is one advantage Dom has, a dozen years in the system. but he has had a great career, I hope he does not try to hang on too long. (wink wink):o)

Scotty D
01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
C - We could get Pouncey, Wisniewski or O'Dowd in the 2nd 3rd round this year & be done with it ... if not this draft, I bet this is Dom's last season probably not by choice) so 2012 we grab his replacement in a higher round pick. Done.

Pouncey has not played well at center, he should play guard. Wisniewski would be a great pick. I doubt Marcus Cannon falls to our second round pick but I would take him there.

I don't want to continue making excuses for Peterman but when a lineman has an injury like that he is going to try and jump early to get an edge and will hold to not get embarrassed. My one critique with this staff is the way they handle injuries. They play guys with injuries and try to bring them back early.

SINCE1978
01-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Pouncey has not played well at center, he should play guard. Wisniewski would be a great pick. I doubt Marcus Cannon falls to our second round pick but I would take him there.

I don't want to continue making excuses for Peterman but when a lineman has an injury like that he is going to try and jump early to get an edge and will hold to not get embarrassed. My one critique with this staff is the way they handle injuries. They play guys with injuries and try to bring them back early.

Agree on Pouncey. That 1 game he had like 7 snaps over the QB's head in shot gun! I thought Wisniewski was brilliant ... at G though the games I saw? I know he is versatile, I like that in an interior HOG :o)

Yeah Lions handling injuries has a bunch to do with lack of depth. Gandy & Gerberry aren't exactly on the cusp of being starters.

nmb1114
01-14-2011, 05:29 PM

a runner that can run between the tackles would make the running game better, our line was adequte enough to roll with them for one more season. I see the draft first round options:

CB = Anemic I think they will resign houston and go get one more corner in FA and then they will draft one if Prince falls, or unless Brandon Harris has a great combine.

DE = Most likely posistion we'll draft due to be value at number 13

OLB = I could see possibly Von Miller having a good draft combine, and looks like a prototypical coach schwartz type of player. Not a huge fan of Ayers and I dont really seem him as a fit.

HB = I honeslty can see a chance of us seeing Mark Ingram being drafted if they dont get a bruising back in UFA (ie. Michael Bush).

cotts1
01-15-2011, 02:41 AM
I don't think there is any chance we take Ingram at 13. No way Mayhew is gonna use two 1st round picks on RB's in two years. RB's have by far the shortest careers of any position. Year after year good RB's are found in the middle rounds. Say no to Ingram..... but I do love the way he plays.

SINCE1978
01-21-2011, 12:37 PM
On the RB situation ... I would be game to draft another one if 1) we dealt or cut Morris or Smith 2) took said back in the mid rounds & 3) he was a bruiser, between the tackles guy.

Perfect fit? Allen Bradford USC 6-0 235, 4.5 40 yd dash guy with power, enough burst, vision, etc. He could be a great 5th round pick up. I would not go much higher in this draft for a RB, but given Bradford replaces Morris &/or Smith that would be a pretty dynamic back field. I think the Aaron Brown/Jerome Felton experiments are done.

Best
Bradford
Smith
Logan
Felton

SINCE1978
01-25-2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20110125/SPORTS01/110125035/1355/sports/Lions-Zack-Follett-refers-to-Stafford-as-china-doll

“Stafford, good guy,” Follett said. “He’s a china doll right now. Anytime he gets hit, he goes down. But the kid is -- hopefully, it’s just patiently waiting for him, because the kid is an awesome talent. He has a tremendous arm. The throws that he makes during practice when no one can touch him, he looks like an All-American quarterback, but put him in a game, and you hit his shoulder. So hopefully, say a couple prayers, keep him healthy next year, and the Lions can do some damage in the NFC.”

<< is this past tense speak by Mr. Follett bitterness for how his season ended & maybe his career in Detroit? has he quietly been given his walking papers? >>

Dropping a bomb on a teammate (franchise QB) & talking about the team that currently pays you, not as "we" but as "the Lions"? It's like he is removed ... Sort of weird. But I guess so is Follett?! :o)

Comments?

DrunkenLament
01-25-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20110125/SPORTS01/110125035/1355/sports/Lions-Zack-Follett-refers-to-Stafford-as-china-doll

“Stafford, good guy,” Follett said. “He’s a china doll right now. Anytime he gets hit, he goes down. But the kid is -- hopefully, it’s just patiently waiting for him, because the kid is an awesome talent. He has a tremendous arm. The throws that he makes during practice when no one can touch him, he looks like an All-American quarterback, but put him in a game, and you hit his shoulder. So hopefully, say a couple prayers, keep him healthy next year, and the Lions can do some damage in the NFC.”

<< is this past tense speak by Mr. Follett bitterness for how his season ended & maybe his career in Detroit? has he quietly been given his walking papers? >>

Dropping a bomb on a teammate (franchise QB) & talking about the team that currently pays you, not as "we" but as "the Lions"? It's like he is removed ... Sort of weird. But I guess so is Follett?! :o)

Comments?

It is really strange, it seems like hes frustrated with how the season turned for him and the team. The team, theoretically speaking, was a playoff team this year if Stafford stayed healthy, and as a fan it frustrates me so I can only imagine how it is for a player (especially for a player with such a mean streak as follett).

If news comes out later that Follett has been released or has to retire due to his injury, these quotes make a lot more sense to me, especially with a sense of bitterness.

tblain1
01-26-2011, 10:29 AM
It is really strange, it seems like hes frustrated with how the season turned for him and the team. The team, theoretically speaking, was a playoff team this year if Stafford stayed healthy, and as a fan it frustrates me so I can only imagine how it is for a player (especially for a player with such a mean streak as follett).

If news comes out later that Follett has been released or has to retire due to his injury, these quotes make a lot more sense to me, especially with a sense of bitterness.

It would be more ironic if Follett had to retire due to injury after making "china doll" comments about Stafford.

If Follett wasn't done by the time he made these comments... he probably is now. I don't think he is good enough to not cut for making bad comments to the press like this.

boknows34
02-09-2011, 12:30 AM
From rotoworld:

Impending free agent SLB Stephen Nicholas indicated that he might be interested in playing for the Lions.

"A lot of good things out of that guy (Ndamukong Suh) was happening," he said. "I think they're definitely starting to turn things around." Nicholas, 27, held off first-round pick Sean Weatherspoon for a starting job in 2011, finishing with 72 tackles and an interception. He can cover tight ends on the strong side, which isn't an easy-to-find trait among veteran linebackers.

Detroit Free Press:
One free agent in Dallas for Super Bowl XLV -- at a major position of need for Detroit -- agreed that the Lions were "definitely on the right track" and said some defenders would jump at the chance to play with Ndamukong Suh.

"Oh, definitely," said Falcons outside linebacker Stephen Nicholas. "Suh had an awesome year this year. Moved people around, threw a couple people around. I seen one of his plays he was trying to kick a field goal. A lot of good things out of that guy was happening. I think they're definitely starting to turn things around."

Nicholas, who started most of the past two seasons in Atlanta, said he had not thought about potential landing spots if he didn't re-sign there, but his priority would be to go to a 4-3 team committed to winning.

Prowler
02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
he's a must get kind of guy. not spectacular, but plugs a hole. it's not like mayhew to go into an offseason without signing free agents to cover our holes before a draft. this labor dispute is screwing things up, but as soon as he can I expect Nicholas and maybe a top available corner or olineman to sign with us.

SRogers92
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM

He won't fetch $16M a year ... everyone laughed at the notion of paying a CB that kind of money when the deal went down, it was a classic Al Davis contract ... plus - it was a short term deal(3 years) and he's older now ... he'll probably fetch a handsome sum of money, obviously, but -- no where near that kind of mula.

Do I want him? YES! He's a premier defensive back and is like 30 or 31 years old .... he's a bigger CB at 6'2 and can play the run ... he has a future as a Charles Woodson type of player ... lock down CB that transitions to Safety ... get him!

Prowler
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
maybe he loves Cadillacs and was persuaded of the greatness of Detroit from Eminem?

Scotty D
02-11-2011, 02:20 AM
maybe he loves Cadillacs and was persuaded of the greatness of Detroit from Eminem?

This one is better

-E7Y1vuZJoM

Shaun Rogers was cut and he's expressed interest in returning to Detroit before. Sammie Lee Hill is a better player than him now and he'd be our 4th DT in my opinion. Not a priority.

SINCE1978
02-11-2011, 05:43 AM
the 8 mile establishments would love big baby's ca$h back in town ... this fan says NO.

SRogers92
02-11-2011, 09:38 AM
IF Shaun Rogers comes at a bargain ... why not? If he gets 20 snaps a game and is fresh he can terrorize any DL ... there's low risk, very high reward ... a 4 man rotation with SLH, Suh, Williams, and Rogers is deadly ... cut Fluellen, I don't care.

If we added him and drafted a DE ... holy schnikes that'd be insane.

SINCE1978
02-11-2011, 11:21 AM
He play's when he wants to, his work ethic is of the same nature & basically is not a solid citizen ... keep him faaar away from Hill & Suh pls.

Ask yourself, why did Cleveland cut him? It's not like they have a spoil of riches @ DT!

Scotty D
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20110211/SPORTS01/110211036/1049/rss14

Lions release guard Trevor Canfield. They released Eric King, CB yesterday.

Prowler
02-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Shaun Rogers will be a Redskin, Cowboy, or Titan.

detroit4life
02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
yeah detroit won't bring him in. all that does in bury hill on the depth chart and ruin his development. We are very solid at DT, not worth the distraction and ruining a core that is very talented but also has great work ethic and good chemistry

Scotty D
02-11-2011, 08:30 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/santana-moss/santana-mosss-contract-voids-t.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Santana Moss voided his contract with the Redskins making him a free agent once the CBA is agreed to. He is looking for a 2-3 year deal at 5 million per. If they can save money by cutting Bryant Johnson I think it could be smart to cut him and use that money go after Moss. A good slot option and depth for Burleson/Megatron.

SINCE1978
02-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I agree on Santana Moss ... assuming FA happens. He would be an excellent option. Although I think a diamond in the rough slot rookie is as effective given the number of receptions #3 WR gets in this offense. (ie Maehl/Salas)

I don't see the Leo's going after a big name/$ FA on offense. Defense ... bring it on! Just my thoughts, although Moss would be super attractive @ 3.5-5 mil per. :o)

SINCE1978
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
according to ESPN, the Lions have signed safety Erik Coleman to a one-year contract. Coleman was recently released by the Atlanta Falcons.

7 yr vet, 5th round pick out of Wazzu ... nothing to perk up about.

Scotty D
02-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Upgrade over CC Brown, good depth. Has experience with a winning team and a good defense.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-18-2011, 02:52 PM
It's a nice move for you guys. He's still a capable starter.

Scotty D
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
It's a nice move for you guys. He's still a capable starter.

Thanks for the info, good to hear from an Atlanta fan.

Prowler
02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
how the **** are we allowed to sign free agents?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6136544

DETROIT -- The NFL says the Detroit Lions have violated the league's policy against tampering and ruled they must forfeit their upcoming seventh-round draft pick and exchange fifth-round picks with the Kansas City Chiefs.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell issued the ruling Friday for violations last year involving players under contract with the Chiefs. The fifth-round switch leaves the Lions with the 23rd pick in the round instead of the ninth.

The league says the Lions commented publicly to the media about their desire to acquire Chiefs players under contract, and that they had impermissible contact with a player -- or his agent -- under contract with Kansas City.

Either team can appeal the decision. The Lions said they have no comment on the ruling.

GO **** YOURSELVES KANSAS CITY AND GOODELL!!

boknows34
02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
how the **** are we allowed to sign free agents?

Street free agents can be signed up until March 4th. Guys like Coleman and Bob Sanders/OJ Atogwe who were released by their teams are allowed to sign for another team.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info, good to hear from an Atlanta fan.

First year he was Falcon he was very good. Then he had to move to SS to make room for Thomas DeCoud and was just solid-pretty good. This past year he was struggling in coverage, then got hurt, and couldn't get his spot back because William Moore came in and played very well. So, I'd say he's still solid and at the very least a great leader/vet presence.

noondog
02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
So apparently Vernon Gholston is about to be released. Worth a flyer to bring him in on the cheap? Considering our LB corp, I'd say sure.

SINCE1978
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't Gholston be considered more a DE?

hybridremix
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
First year he was Falcon he was very good. Then he had to move to SS to make room for Thomas DeCoud and was just solid-pretty good. This past year he was struggling in coverage, then got hurt, and couldn't get his spot back because William Moore came in and played very well. So, I'd say he's still solid and at the very least a great leader/vet presence.

Coleman will at least be an upgrade over Brown. So that's good -- a veteran who has the skills if he wants it. Might be a nice guy to help Spievey make a big leap forward.

We can all stop holding our breath for Greenway now =(
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Vikings-place-franchise-tag-on-Chad-Greenway.html

noondog
02-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Wouldn't Gholston be considered more a DE?

You're right, my bad. I think he may be able to make the transition to LB though...he has the tools to do it. Either way, would he be worth taking a flyer on?

hybridremix
02-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I think he may be able to make the transition to LB though...he has the tools to do it. Either way, would he be worth taking a flyer on?

That's what the Jets thought, too. Now here he is a FA.

Gholston was an athletic freak and blew everyone away with his raw agility and strength. His substance on the field left a lot to be desired, but he was drafted as a project. That project has failed. There's no reason to believe he'll be any better here. He's several years older and his window of opportunity has shrunk. If the coaching staff sees reasons to believe he'll be committed to living up to his incredible physical potential, then none of us can know that and we'll see a surprise signing. I don't see it happening. Gholston's train has left the station.

hybridremix
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/santana-moss/santana-mosss-contract-voids-t.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Santana Moss voided his contract with the Redskins making him a free agent once the CBA is agreed to. He is looking for a 2-3 year deal at 5 million per. If they can save money by cutting Bryant Johnson I think it could be smart to cut him and use that money go after Moss. A good slot option and depth for Burleson/Megatron.

I only just saw this. I think it's a good idea. From what TomK wrote today, apparently the coaching staff wants someone who can stretch the field on the outside so Burleson can play in the slot in three-wide sets. Moss fits that bill perfectly. He's still got enough speed [I think] and savvy to win on the edge. He's been doing it quite well year after year in Washington.

Scotty D
02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
I only just saw this. I think it's a good idea. From what TomK wrote today, apparently the coaching staff wants someone who can stretch the field on the outside so Burleson can play in the slot in three-wide sets. Moss fits that bill perfectly. He's still got enough speed [I think] and savvy to win on the edge. He's been doing it quite well year after year in Washington.

How sick would it be running out Moss, Megatron, Burleson, Pettigrew with Best out of the backfield? He hasn't really had anyone to take the focus off of him in Washington the past couple of years either. He'll probably be out of our price range but they should at least check it out.

I didn't think Bailey would re-sign with Denver. Takes one more CB off the market. Even if he didn't sign with us it could have allowed another CB to trickle down to Detroit.

hybridremix
02-23-2011, 10:29 AM
I didn't think Bailey would re-sign with Denver. Takes one more CB off the market. Even if he didn't sign with us it could have allowed another CB to trickle down to Detroit.

It still may. Denver has long been a favorite landing spot for Peterson because of Champ's impending free agency. With Champ coming back, it's for more likely they'll pass on the CB and take an impact DL, which was already a likelihood anyway. That pushes Peterson down, which pushes Amukamara down. We'll see!

Scotty D
02-23-2011, 03:03 PM
It still may. Denver has long been a favorite landing spot for Peterson because of Champ's impending free agency. With Champ coming back, it's for more likely they'll pass on the CB and take an impact DL, which was already a likelihood anyway. That pushes Peterson down, which pushes Amukamara down. We'll see!

That is a good point. I highly doubt Denver drafts Peterson now. It'll be dline.

noondog
03-03-2011, 12:45 AM
AJ Hawk released by the Packers today. I'd love to see the Lions make a pitch for him.

SINCE1978
03-03-2011, 05:26 AM
I agree on Hawk ... but my gut says he is staying put in GB for less cash.

hybridremix
03-03-2011, 09:15 AM
AJ Hawk released by the Packers today. I'd love to see the Lions make a pitch for him.

Well, I would love that signing, but we only have a day to pull it off!

hybridremix
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Err...nevermind. Spoke before I knew what I was talking about. He already re-signed with them: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/AJ-Hawk-agrees-to-fiveyear-deal-with-Packers.html. Good call, S78.

Scotty D
03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Tendered
Dylan Gandy
Zack Follett
Prince Miller
Jerome Felton
Dave Rayner
Andre Fluellen
John Wendling
Turk McBride

Released
Kevin Smith (not tendered)
Julian Peterson

SINCE1978
03-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Tendered
Dylan Gandy
Zack Follett
Prince Miller
Jerome Felton
Dave Rayner
Andre Fluellen
John Wendling
Turk McBride

Released
Kevin Smith (not tendered)
Julian Peterson

A little surprised on Kevin Smith being 24, but they must feel the injuries & Maurice Morris are enough to say see-ya!

Also, Dylan Gandy (not that he sees the field) but he does not do anythting for me?! Anybody else agree that our interior Oline needs help & better depth? Uga.

Hopefully Follett recovers. I would have hated for his short but quirky career to end on the china doll comments. I'm sure he feels the same! Redemption? Not sure if he is the OLB answer bu he is sure an amazing PAIN TRAIN on ST! :-)

hybridremix
03-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Also, Dylan Gandy (not that he sees the field) but he does not do anythting for me?! Anybody else agree that our interior Oline needs help & better depth? Uga.

Gandy is exactly why a versatile interior guy who can play both G and C -- like a Danny Watkins or John Moffitt -- is the most important OL position of need. On a similar note, Fluellen is exactly why a versatile DL is a position of need.

Scotty D
03-04-2011, 03:49 PM
http://twitter.com/davebirkett/statuses/43754421246623745

Lions re-sign Nathan Vasher,CB to a one year deal.

He played pretty well done the stretch and made some key plays in the four game win streak.

http://twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/43743085242486784

Stanton was tendered at the original round level (2nd). How nice would it be for a QB starved team to sign him to an offer sheet? I hope some teams took notice of some of the games he played in at the end of the year. I like Stanton but we have Shaun Hill and I'll gladly take a second rounder for him.

IwannatalktoSampson
04-11-2011, 12:56 PM
http://twitter.com/davebirkett/statuses/43754421246623745

Lions re-sign Nathan Vasher,CB to a one year deal.

He played pretty well done the stretch and made some key plays in the four game win streak.

http://twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/43743085242486784

Stanton was tendered at the original round level (2nd). How nice would it be for a QB starved team to sign him to an offer sheet? I hope some teams took notice of some of the games he played in at the end of the year. I like Stanton but we have Shaun Hill and I'll gladly take a second rounder for him.

I still cant believe we took him in the 2nd round...fricken millen! Idiot

SINCE1978
04-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Which team is that desperate really to surrender a 2nd rd pick for a 6-10 teams 3rd QB option?

For a team seeking a QB, McElroy or Stanzi could be there in the 3rd rd?

hybridremix
04-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Which team is that desperate really to surrender a 2nd rd pick for a 6-10 teams 3rd QB option?

For a team seeking a QB, McElroy or Stanzi could be there in the 3rd rd?

But that's not usually how this works. Teams very rarely ever just sign the guy and sacrifice a pick. There's always dialogue and bartering. They give out these tenders just to make sure no other team can step in and jip them. If someone really did want the known quantity that is Stanton instead of the unknown quantity of a mid-teir rookie QB, they'd talk to Mayhew, and much less than a 2nd rounder would get worked out. I promise you the Lions don't actually consider Stanton to be the same value as a 2nd round pick.

SINCE1978
04-30-2011, 03:30 PM
http://thehouseofspears.net/?p=372

Found an intersting article with statistics on Chris Houston as a Lion ... do you guys feel we should bring him back?

DrunkenLament
04-30-2011, 03:49 PM
http://thehouseofspears.net/?p=372

Found an intersting article with statistics on Chris Houston as a Lion ... do you guys feel we should bring him back?

I think its a no brainer we bring him back. He wasn't outstanding last year but he was by far the best corner for us last year. Those statistics don't tell you what percentage of passes we're thrown Houston's way when there were five or more db's, they just say that as a unit they were terrible. Which we already knew.

SINCE1978
04-30-2011, 06:05 PM
I think its a no brainer we bring him back. He wasn't outstanding last year but he was by far the best corner for us last year. Those statistics don't tell you what percentage of passes we're thrown Houston's way when there were five or more db's, they just say that as a unit they were terrible. Which we already knew.

The most interesting thing will be to see what other teams value him at ...

WMD
04-30-2011, 08:55 PM
For free agency, whenever it happens, how about we sign both Stephen LB's.. that's Stephen Tulloch and Stephen Nicholas. It sounds like they want to come here, let's bring them both!

Xiomera
04-30-2011, 09:48 PM
For free agency, whenever it happens, how about we sign both Stephen LB's.. that's Stephen Tulloch and Stephen Nicholas. It sounds like they want to come here, let's bring them both!

Best defense ever.

boknows34
05-01-2011, 02:34 AM

Would not surprise me if Schwartz parks his car outside Tulloch's house and calls him one minute into free agency like he did with KVB last year. Tulloch's quote before the lockout was: "A lot of good things out of (Ndamukong Suh) was happening. I think they're definitely starting to turn things around."

Richard Marshall is another name to look for at CB. Aqib Talib may be cut by Tampa Bay but I'm not sure Schwartz will be interested after his experience with PacMan Jones in Tennessee.

Next year's draft: Aggressive pursuit of the OL like the Colts did this year with Castonzo and Ijalana.

SINCE1978
05-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Would not surprise me if Schwartz parks his car outside Tulloch's house and calls him one minute into free agency like he did with KVB last year. Tulloch's quote before the lockout was: "A lot of good things out of (Ndamukong Suh) was happening. I think they're definitely starting to turn things around."

Richard Marshall is another name to look for at CB. Aqib Talib may be cut by Tampa Bay but I'm not sure Schwartz will be interested after his experience with PacMan Jones in Tennessee.

Next year's draft: Aggressive pursuit of the OL like the Colts did this year with Castonzo and Ijalana.

IMO Marshall would be solid, Joseph too @ Cinci (not mentioned here)

I say no to to Talib.

I also agree on oline for 2012. I was claiming all off season on here to the small group wanting the LT in 2011's draft, wait until next year! Doubling up would be solid (T then G) Stud LT then a combo guy G/C maybe?

LonghornsLegend
05-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Would you guys be interested in giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Janoris Jenkins in the supplemental draft? He's got his issues too, but he's a 1st rd talent and you get him right away.

WMD
05-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Would you guys be interested in giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Janoris Jenkins in the supplemental draft? He's got his issues too, but he's a 1st rd talent and you get him right away.
It's tough. I don't know if I want a player who's been kicked off of his College team. He's talented but I just don't know if he'd be worth risking a 2nd/3rd on. I'd probably try with a 4th just incase.

Scotty D
05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Mayhew hasn't really acquired guys with major character concerns. The closest was probably trading for Cromartie and Cro isn't a big headcase. I don't think they completely rule those guys out though. I'd send in a 4th or 5th round claim for Jenkins.

Silver & Blue
05-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Mayhew hasn't really acquired guys with major character concerns. The closest was probably trading for Cromartie and Cro isn't a big headcase. I don't think they completely rule those guys out though. I'd send in a 4th or 5th round claim for Jenkins.

Unfortunately it looks like Jenkins might just transfer to a smaller school instead of entering the supplemental draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegefootball/story/15021283/former-gators-cb-jenkins-leaning-toward-transfer

If he does enter the draft though I would be fine with giving up a 4th or 5th rounder for him.

Prowler
05-09-2011, 04:36 PM
My shopping list

CB

Either Chris Carr or Josh Wilson-Depends on who resigns in Baltimore
Eric Wright- Still has the talent to become something
Richard Marshall
Carlos Rogers

LB

Stephen Nicholas- I want this guy on our team. Top Priority.
Stephen Tulloch-If we miss on Nicholas then we're paying big $ and moving Levy
Manny Lawson
Rocky McIntosh
James Anderson
Justin Durant

Others
Harvey Dahl or Justin Blalock Guards from Atlanta
Jason Babin DE Tennessee

DoughBoy
05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
plz plz plz plz plz someone take Stephen Tulloch from us.

Prowler
05-11-2011, 07:46 AM
http://www.titansgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/stephen-tulloch.jpg

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/files/2011/03/tulloch.jpg

So do you want a 4th rounder for him?

Maybe This Year Mayhew
05-11-2011, 03:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fa9321/article/unofficial-list-of-potential-2011-free-agents?module=HP_headlines

Here is the list if we go by 2010 rules. I don't see any of those LBs or Guards as unrestricted if that happens or Eric Wright or Richard Marshall. We keep Houston if 2010 rules apply. I think all the guards and LBs would be restricted so no thanks on giving up a high draft pick. Working out a deal for a mid round pick would be much better.

Given the list I go for Ike Taylor or Carlos Rogers hard to pair with Houston and move Alphonso to the slot with Aaron Berry. Rogers has no ball skills so Ike Taylor is preferred but doubt he isn't resigned by Pittsburgh. Chris Carr wouldn't be bad either.

LBs I wouldn't mind Ben Leber or Pisa. They are solid and it takes away from a division rival. Pisa is an injury risk though.

Here is the restricted list with some tenders.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011/03/2011-restricted-free-agent-tender.html

Iamcanadian
05-12-2011, 09:58 PM
You gotta wonder, if the signing period comes very late, will many teams be willing to pour out millions for a FA who won't be able to be productive right out of the gate????

SINCE1978
05-13-2011, 05:28 AM
You gotta wonder, if the signing period comes very late, will many teams be willing to pour out millions for a FA who won't be able to be productive right out of the gate????

Curious ... why do you say no production out of the gate?

Iamcanadian
05-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Curious ... why do you say no production out of the gate?

Teams play different styles and teamwork counts for a lot in football. Each player at a # of positions has to know exactly what his teammates will do in certain situations to be effective.
You cannot not just throw somebody in a game who hasn't worked in that system and with his teammates, and not expect a lot of errors to occur.
That's why they have practices, training camps and an exhibition season, to give a team a solid basis for each component to learn how to work together and understand what is expected of them.
It will all come down to when the lockout ends, but if it is late August, rookies and FA's will have a very difficult time being productive right out of the gate.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Very true. It took Lawrence Jackson and Alpshono Smith a few games into the season to start producing more as they came very late or after TC. And Carpenter had to adjust mid season which is even tougher. Jackson was in a reserve role and Smith was nickel and then became the number 2. A starting FA you are counting on from day 1 may not be that productive early in the season. If it goes into late August any corner or LB will need to learn the system, maybe even have start Houston/Alphonso Smith early in the season. Although I think both of those corners and Spievey will be better this year with it being the second year they are in the system. Plus Delmas groin being better, standing pat our secondary could be better. I still want to sign another solid FA corner to take over the number 1 or 2 role obviously though and move Smith to nickel.

SINCE1978
05-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Teams play different styles and teamwork counts for a lot in football. Each player at a # of positions has to know exactly what his teammates will do in certain situations to be effective.
You cannot not just throw somebody in a game who hasn't worked in that system and with his teammates, and not expect a lot of errors to occur.
That's why they have practices, training camps and an exhibition season, to give a team a solid basis for each component to learn how to work together and understand what is expected of them.
It will all come down to when the lockout ends, but if it is late August, rookies and FA's will have a very difficult time being productive right out of the gate.

I mean sort of I guess ... Titus Young catching balls with Stafford & running routes with CJ has to help haha:o)

Plus think of all the rookies (just in Detroit) that have been thrust into playing time probably before they were "ready", based on lack of roster talent/depth. (Delmas, Levy,Hill,Suh,CJ,Stafford,Pettigrew, Spievey etc) it's seems almost the norm that a top 100 draft pick is expected to step in & play in Detroit since the Millen purge has begun. I know chemistry is a part, but these guys are professional athletes, let's not forget that either. KVB, Williams,Suh needed minimal time to prepare together to look dominate early last season. I hear ya, but it's a little over rated to chemistry thing in pro football.

Iamcanadian
05-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I mean sort of I guess ... Titus Young catching balls with Stafford & running routes with CJ has to help haha:o)

Plus think of all the rookies (just in Detroit) that have been thrust into playing time probably before they were "ready", based on lack of roster talent/depth. (Delmas, Levy,Hill,Suh,CJ,Stafford,Pettigrew, Spievey etc) it's seems almost the norm that a top 100 draft pick is expected to step in & play in Detroit since the Millen purge has begun. I know chemistry is a part, but these guys are professional athletes, let's not forget that either. KVB, Williams,Suh needed minimal time to prepare together to look dominate early last season. I hear ya, but it's a little over rated to chemistry thing in pro football.

They didn't have minimal time, they all had OT's, training camp and 5 exhibition games to get ready, vs what they MAY get this year, 1 week of training camp and if they are lucky 1 or 2 exhibition games, although perhaps they will get none.
Of course I'm basing this on a late August, early September settlement, so it isn't written in stone. If they settle by July, they might still get everything in.

tblain1
05-16-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fa9321/article/unofficial-list-of-potential-2011-free-agents?module=HP_headlines

Here is the list if we go by 2010 rules. I don't see any of those LBs or Guards as unrestricted if that happens or Eric Wright or Richard Marshall. We keep Houston if 2010 rules apply. I think all the guards and LBs would be restricted so no thanks on giving up a high draft pick. Working out a deal for a mid round pick would be much better.

Given the list I go for Ike Taylor or Carlos Rogers hard to pair with Houston and move Alphonso to the slot with Aaron Berry. Rogers has no ball skills so Ike Taylor is preferred but doubt he isn't resigned by Pittsburgh. Chris Carr wouldn't be bad either.

LBs I wouldn't mind Ben Leber or Pisa. They are solid and it takes away from a division rival. Pisa is an injury risk though.

Here is the restricted list with some tenders.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011/03/2011-restricted-free-agent-tender.html

Just say no to Pisa.... guy has been injured ever since he joined the Bears. Want no part of him. Career: Over.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
05-16-2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/05/detroit_lions_matthew_stafford_12.html

Stafford looking good and strong. Good news on Gosder too out there doing well after his surgery. And Peterman is foot pain free.

SINCE1978
05-17-2011, 05:18 AM
They didn't have minimal time, they all had OT's, training camp and 5 exhibition games to get ready, vs what they MAY get this year, 1 week of training camp and if they are lucky 1 or 2 exhibition games, although perhaps they will get none.
Of course I'm basing this on a late August, early September settlement, so it isn't written in stone. If they settle by July, they might still get everything in.

At least every team is in the same boat

Maybe This Year Mayhew
05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
At least every team is in the same boat

Not really. Teams with new coaches or rookie QBs that has to be a bad situation. I am so glad we have a system in place on both offense and defense for 2 years and the QBs and most of the RBS/WRs have had at least a year in the system. QBs have had 2 years which is even better and all know the playbook very well. Can't imagine starting a rookie QB in this environment.

Titus Young,LeShoure and Fairley will be effected though. Luckily we don't need Fairley to produce right away with Corey and Sammie Lee Hill in the mix. Young will need to learn the routes but he'll mainly be a speed threat and won't have that many intricate routes early on IMO. LeShoure will need to pick up on the offense quickly as he'll need to know the most plays and protections but luckily RBs seems to be a positioin rookies can pick up pretty quickly and produce early.

Iamcanadian
05-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Not really. Teams with new coaches or rookie QBs that has to be a bad situation. I am so glad we have a system in place on both offense and defense for 2 years and the QBs and most of the RBS/WRs have had at least a year in the system. QBs have had 2 years which is even better and all know the playbook very well. Can't imagine starting a rookie QB in this environment.

Titus Young,LeShoure and Fairley will be effected though. Luckily we don't need Fairley to produce right away with Corey and Sammie Lee Hill in the mix. Young will need to learn the routes but he'll mainly be a speed threat and won't have that many intricate routes early on IMO. LeShoure will need to pick up on the offense quickly as he'll need to know the most plays and protections but luckily RBs seems to be a positioin rookies can pick up pretty quickly and produce early.

Solid analysis and I agree with it. I think Young will have the hardest time, it is a totally different animal, playing WR in the pros from college ball, where you are never challenged on the LOS or for the 1st 5 yards. It is a really tough adjustment and any loss of practice or exhibition games will be serious.
It will affect Fairley some too but it should be any easy adjustment as long as they don't ask Leshoure to block too much.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
05-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Solid analysis and I agree with it. I think Young will have the hardest time, it is a totally different animal, playing WR in the pros from college ball, where you are never challenged on the LOS or for the 1st 5 yards. It is a really tough adjustment and any loss of practice or exhibition games will be serious.
It will affect Fairley some too but it should be any easy adjustment as long as they don't ask Leshoure to block too much.

Yeah I agree I think it's going to be tough for Titus Young. He is very thin and he will be bumped at the line alot. He has to prove he can beat that to be a true threat for us this year. If he can't beat the press, he won't add any more value than Bryant Johnson right away. I think they'll move him around alot though so he can avoid press coverage some.

Fairley and LeShoure can both be productive. I thought LeShoure was a good blocker in college so hopefully it translates. Obvious passing plays we still have Morris or Best to be a blocker if LeShoure is constantly failing but let's hope thats not the case.

I think Fairley can still be disruptive given his talent but other than Suh it usually takes DTs some time to get used to how to beat NFL interior linemen who are way stronger and smarter than college players.

SINCE1978
05-20-2011, 05:32 AM

I too think Young will have the hardest time of the 3 new young guns. Not to say he won't catch on, but I really worry about his size (ie versatility) for long NFL seasons. Face it, plenty say he is the deep threat, burner guy ... but call me out on this if I'm wrong but he is (only?) a 4.5 guy. Every CB in the league runs a 4.5 basically. So it's not like he has the 4.25 burst to be running by defenders. Also, maybe you guys saw some workout pictures from Country day HS recently? What struck em was how small in stature & short Young is as well! 175 lbs is a small man in this league. I just worry that some of the bigger, physical corners (that are also in the 4.5 range) are going to figure out his game & be able to make him 1 dimensional. For me he has the highest bust rate. I am banking on the collective body of offensive weapons making him better & he making them better b/c I just don't see the statistics for this guy in the league. He probably will prove me wrong, but a small school guy, who's under 6', under 180 lbs, who (for his position) is slightly above average in speed is going to have to wokr extra hard to make it happen.

Iamcanadian
05-20-2011, 09:31 AM
i cannot argue too much about the size issue. Before DeSean Jackson became a star I questioned his longevity in the NFL.
It carries some risk but the guy does have a huge talent base and we can only hoipe he is able to stay healthy and be productive, because if he does and Stafford stays healthy, lookout for our offense.

SINCE1978
05-24-2011, 05:09 AM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110524/SPORTS0101/105240329/1004/sports/Offensive-tackle-Jason-Fox-finally-healthy-for-Lions

I think Fox will compete this year ...

detroit4life
05-24-2011, 10:33 PM
the thing about titus is if we ever have him go over the middle against a team like pitt, chi, baltimore etc he may get killed. The heavy hitters in this league deliver earth shattering hits to guys who are 210+. Titus looked 15 years old in those pics

Prowler
05-25-2011, 02:09 AM
with the rule changes for defenseless receivers and lack of contact downfield in coverage, the game is changing to help him. he should be fine.

SINCE1978
05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Titus Young = Malnourshed Chad Ochocinco

:o)

Prowler
06-20-2011, 06:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=6669851

Stafford vs Freeman

For those who missed it, Stafford had the NFL's best passer rating against the blitz at the time of his season-ending injury. His fourth-quarter passer rating was 109.9, good for second in the NFL at the time, and he had a 104.4 rating on third down. Finally, he threw 88 of his 96 passes from the pocket.

Viewed together, those numbers reflected a quarterback who remained cool under pressure and was working hard to be the type of pocket passer that flourishes long-term in the NFL. It is obviously a small sample size, but when combined with the mettle Stafford demonstrated as a rookie -- throwing a game-winning touchdown against the Cleveland Browns one play after separating his left shoulder -- you see the framework of a high-caliber NFL quarterback.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Seems like new CBA on the table will allow 4 year players to be unrestricted. Goodbye Chris Houston most likley but hello Tulloch. More corners available though but I think we will need two starters now unfortunately if this new CBA is passed.

detroit4life
06-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Gil Bradt said we are a top 3 destination for nnamdi assamouah....

detroitsports
07-25-2011, 04:26 PM
If we're top 3 for Nnamdi, then what is Houston thinking?

Xiomera
07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
If the Lions sign Nnamdi, I will actually be pissed off. His contract will be crippling by Year 3.

I'd rather have 3 players than 1, even if Nnamdi is the best at the position. Our defense isn't short on playmakers, so solid starters, if unspectacular, is fine with me.

Xiomera
07-25-2011, 05:03 PM
ESPN just put out an article of the Top Ten best free agent fits with the Lions signing DE Ray Edwards at No. 9.

WTF.

WMD
07-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I want Nom D.

I don't understand why the Lions would sign Ray Edwards..

DrunkenLament
07-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Maybe they're assuming we lose Avril? That is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

Xiomera
07-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Maybe they're assuming we lose Avril? That is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

In the article, they make reference to already having 4 very, very good starters (naming both Avril and KVB). Apparently they've never heard of Lawrence Jackson or Turk McBride (a UFA, however) because they're pleanty of depth, especially considering Suh can slide outside if needed.

cotts1
07-25-2011, 11:32 PM
I agree Xiomera. Nnamdi would be sick but he's just too expensive. We can't offer anything near the money some other teams will be able to.

Lions have 16.6 mill in cap space. That will go up Thursday when Bryant Johnson, Landon Johnson, and a few others are released. This should give the Lions enough money to sign one high profile FA (not named Nnamdi).

If that's the case I want Tulloch. I think he's exactly what this defense needs. A tackling machine in the middle. Levy has had his ups and downs but misses too many tackles for a MLB. Move him back outside where he is more comfortable and experienced.

I'm really hoping Houston is resigned and we sign a middle of the pack FA corner to compete with Alphonso for the 2nd spot. Berry, Vasher, and Jack Williams the 4, 5, and 6 guys. That should be sufficient with our D-line....We'll get our stud corner in next years loaded draft class.

tblain1
07-26-2011, 03:27 PM
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/7/26/2295211/mortensen-lions-could-look-to-sign-bengals-cb-johnathan-joseph

Chirs Mortensen thinks Jonathan Joseph has a great chance of signing with Detroit. That'd be fine with me...

detroit4life
07-26-2011, 04:14 PM
if we get joseph and tulloch im thrilled

Scotty D
07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20110726/SPORTS01/110726065/Lions-release-WR-Bryant-Johnson-keep-CB-Brandon-McDonald

Lions release Bryant Johnson and re-sign Brandon McDonald CB. Johnson was set to make 3.2 mil. I think the Lions have around 19 million in cap space right now.

SINCE1978
07-27-2011, 05:31 AM
if we get joseph and tulloch im thrilled

That would be solid by me too.

Except anyone know Joseph's "character'? I don't know much about him. Bengals football is not on my radar. :o)

tblain1
07-27-2011, 08:39 AM
That would be solid by me too.

Except anyone know Joseph's "character'? I don't know much about him. Bengals football is not on my radar. :o)

Bengals secondary was pretty solid though. If we can take one of their CBs I'll be a happy man.

boknows34
07-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Justin Durant is the first signing on a 2-year deal.

6-1, 240. Turns 26 in September.

http://www.nfl.com/player/justindurant/2495597/profile

It may seem like an under-the-radar acquisition, but Durant is a true thumper now playing behind a devastating defensive front. He played well at middle linebacker and on the weak side in Jacksonville, so it's not clear where he'll start out in Detroit. If Durant can stay healthy, he's a key piece in the Lions' revamped defense. Beat writer Tom Kowalski doesn't believe a Durant signing has any impact on a potential Stephen Tulloch addition.
rotoworld.com

Prowler
07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I like the durant pickup. I think we are playing the fa game perfectly. Let someone else overpay for aso and cro. If we leap on Joseph, then great, but we are buyers in a bloated market. Waiting only helps drive Houston's price down.

Xiomera
07-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Joseph to the Texans.

Who we signing now, gents?

WMD
07-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Tulloch and Chris Carr? or maybe we spend that money on a Guard instead?

Xiomera
07-28-2011, 11:07 PM
David Joseph just got signed. My dream of Peterman being replaced is dead.

I don't think Carr is good enough.

Richard Marshall or Nate Clements or Chris Houston

Scotty D
07-28-2011, 11:22 PM
They should go after Cromartie. Not a mega deal though. Sign Cro, Barnett/Tulloch, and an OL.

Xiomera
07-28-2011, 11:23 PM
No Cromartie.

Scotty D
07-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Cromartie played great last year. He's kind of dumb but has never been in trouble with the law or anything.

Prowler
07-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Name of CB-How I see things happening.
Nnamdi Asomugha- Do the Eagles still have the money? if not then the 49ers or Jets.
Brent Grimes (RFA)- Falcons
Antonio Cromartie- probably back with the Jets
Brandon Carr (RFA)-Chiefs
Chris Carr-Ravens

Which leaves us with these guys.

Richard Marshall
Carlos Rogers
Eric Wright
Chris Houston

I think we can get Houston back at a reasonable rate. I would kinda like to have two of them, but we'll see.

The Lions are very high on Aaron Berry and Jack Williams. Aaron Berry was hurt in first game(he had an INT earlier that game) and missed most of the year. He could actually become a legitimate starter for us. The problem is that we need a veteran to help stabilize them since "could actually" is different from "is" a legitimate starter. I think Houston might be all we need.

Houston/Berry/Smith/Williams with Vasher and Spievey able to shuffle around at corner and safety.

If we don't go big with an Aso type of player, then just bring Houston back and develop our guys.

boknows34
07-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Which leaves us with these guys.

Richard Marshall
Carlos Rogers
Eric Wright
Chris Houston

Lions agreed to terms with CB Eric Wright, formerly of the Browns.
Not exactly Nnamdi Asomugha or Johnathan Joseph. Wright absolutely possesses starting-caliber talent, but his confidence has been shot since being burned by Anquan Boldin for three TDs early last season. He's just 26, so the Lions will consider him sort of a rehab project. He'll be given every opportunity to start.
rotoworld.com

j05son
07-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Congrats on signing Wright. He's a very good player who just didn't have the best season last year. The three years before that he looked like he was on pace to be one of the best corners in the league. I was really hoping we would keep him in Cleveland but none-the-less he's gone due to some internal issues (per a known family member of his on a Browns board). Only knock on him is that he's not the best tackler.

Scotty D
07-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Bears are probably going to sign Roy Williams. I would love to see Delmas light him up. Hopefully the Niners sign Kreutz away from them as well.

Eric Wright is a good pick up. The Browns lacked a pass rush last year and I think it was part of the problem. I'm debating over if they should bring back Chris Houston or not.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
07-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Eric Wright has some potential. One starter down, one to go. Richard Marshall or Houston would work for me.

Prowler
07-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Josh Wilson signed a 3 year $13.5 mil deal which should have set the market for Wright's deal. We'll say a $4 mil cap hit. thenetrat had us at $11.6 mil under. I think we can grab Tulloch and then have plenty of money to spend throughout the year on pickups.

Prowler
07-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Hmm...Alphonso Smith's broken foot might be enough to want Houston back too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/29130/lions-uh-oh-alphonso-smiths-broken-foot

He said he'd be ready to start the regular season, but I still don't like a guy weakened and getting burned for the first 5 weeks because of it.

Iamcanadian
07-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Justin Durant is the first signing on a 2-year deal.

6-1, 240. Turns 26 in September.

http://www.nfl.com/player/justindurant/2495597/profile

It may seem like an under-the-radar acquisition, but Durant is a true thumper now playing behind a devastating defensive front. He played well at middle linebacker and on the weak side in Jacksonville, so it's not clear where he'll start out in Detroit. If Durant can stay healthy, he's a key piece in the Lions' revamped defense. Beat writer Tom Kowalski doesn't believe a Durant signing has any impact on a potential Stephen Tulloch addition.
rotoworld.com

IMO, this is a very solid pickup, add in Wright and the defense just gets better and better.
Of course, we have to pray Stafford stays healthy or it won't mean much. I hear Backus is banged up, not a good omen.

boknows34
07-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Nick Barnett is being linked with the Lions. Levy/Barnett/Durant would be a very solid LB corps.

Scotty D
07-31-2011, 01:18 AM
Nick Barnett is being linked with the Lions. Levy/Barnett/Durant would be a very solid LB corps.

Its good news he made it out of Buffalo with out signing a contract. Suppose to visit Detroit today. Lock him up. He'll be motivated to beat Green Bay.

boknows34
07-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Its good news he made it out of Buffalo with out signing a contract. Suppose to visit Detroit today. Lock him up. He'll be motivated to beat Green Bay.

The Green Bay revenge factor might be the clincher. If Barnett is strictly about the money then the Bills have a chance. As long as there are others factors Barnett considers important and the Lions make a fair offer then he should sign for Detroit.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS

Lions signed MLB Stephen Tulloch.
The signing comes as somewhat of a surprise after the Lions inked Justin Durant on Thursday, but Tulloch will slide in immediately as Detroit's middle linebacker. He's being reuinted with Jim Schwartz, who was his defensive coordinator for his first three years in the league. Tulloch's arrival is bad news for DeAndre Levy, who should now be shifted to the outside. Financial details of Tulloch's detail are not yet available, but he reportedly turned down an offer with a $10 million guarantee earlier in the week.
rotoworld.com

Happy Dance

boknows34
07-31-2011, 09:34 AM
My shopping list

CB

Either Chris Carr or Josh Wilson-Depends on who resigns in Baltimore
Eric Wright- Still has the talent to become something
Richard Marshall
Carlos Rogers

LB

Stephen Nicholas- I want this guy on our team. Top Priority.
Stephen Tulloch-If we miss on Nicholas then we're paying big $ and moving Levy
Manny Lawson
Rocky McIntosh
James Anderson
Justin Durant

Others
Harvey Dahl or Justin Blalock Guards from Atlanta
Jason Babin DE Tennessee

Good call Prowler. Free agency has been a success. Another CB and an OL still to come hopefully.

Scotty D
07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Good job by Mayhew to get Tulloch on a one year deal.

Xiomera
07-31-2011, 11:55 AM
We're one Chris Houston re-signing away from a top 5 NFL defense.

WMD
07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I hear Stephen Tulloch sucks in pass coverage.

Xiomera
07-31-2011, 12:57 PM
I hear Stephen Tulloch sucks in pass coverage.

I hear you are a closet Bears fan.

Xiomera
07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Chris Houston's Twttier account says he resigned 2 years, 6 million.

Prowler
07-31-2011, 03:58 PM
2008 Roster

Defensive Linemen

* 97 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE
* 92 Cliff Avril DE
* 75 Shaun Cody DT
* 98 Landon Cohen DT
* 91 Chuck Darby DT
* 96 Andre Fluellen DT
* 79 Langston Moore DT
* 93 Corey Smith DE
* 99 Dewayne White DE

Linebackers

* 46 Darnell Bing OLB
* 52 Anthony Cannon OLB
* 53 Paris Lenon ILB
* 55 Ryan Nece OLB
* 50 Ernie Sims OLB

Defensive Backs

* 28 Leigh Bodden CB
* 27 Daniel Bullocks SS
* 21 Travis Fisher CB
* 35 LaMarcus Hicks SS
* 24 Kalvin Pearson FS
* 33 Chris Roberson CB
* 38 Ramzee Robinson CB
* 39 Stuart Schweigert FS
* 30 Dexter Wynn CB

Reserve Lists

* 42 Gerald Alexander FS (IR) Injury
* 95 Jared DeVries DE (IR) Injury
* 57 Jordon Dizon ILB (IR) Injury
* 60 Shemiah LeGrande DT (IR) Injury
* 59 Alex Lewis OLB (IR) Injury
* 78 Cory Redding DT (IR) Injury
* 26 Dwight Smith SS (IR) Injury
* 23 Keith Smith CB (IR) Injury
* 31 Stanley Wilson CB (IR) Injury

we have come a long way...Paris Lenon...Travis Fisher....Darby...

Xiomera
07-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Soooo ....

DE Cliff Avril / Willie Young
DT Ndomukong Suh / Nick Fairley / Andre Fluellen
DT Corey Williams / Sammie Lee Hill
DE Kyle Vanden Boesch / Lawrence Jackson

OLB Justin Durant / Ashlee Palmer
MLB Stephen Tulloch
OLB Deandre Levy / Zack Follett / Doug Hogue

CB Chris Houston / Aaron Berry / Brandon McDonald
S Louis Delmas / John Wendling
S Amari Spievey / Erik Coleman / Maurice Leggett
CB Eric Wright / Alphonso Smith / Nathan Vasher

Defensive wish list:
- Try and get DE Turk McBride back for cheap.
- Find another MLB if you're committed to moving Levy outside
- Sign another CB for cheap and upgrade over McDonald/Vasher

Prowler
07-31-2011, 04:58 PM
I'd probably just keep an eye out for some good cheap oline insurance to fall into our lap.

Backus/Sims/Raiola/Peterman/Cherilus

Fox is finally healthy and should be improved, and Hillard filled in pretty well last year. With that being said, having Cherilus and Backus coming of injuries is scary. Donald Thomas, Gerberry, and Gandy don't exactly inspire confidence in me either.

I'd be tempted to go with a Charlie Johnson type who can play guard and spot tackle, but he's too finesse for my taste.

Xiomera
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
I get the impression Mayhew will still find ways to add upgrades. There's a lot of players left out there and more will be cut as the rosters narrow to 53.

Obviously OLine depth, especially on the interior is critical.

Xiomera
07-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Turk McBride reportedly signed with the Saints.

Damn it.

Calvin & Kevin
08-02-2011, 12:00 AM
hellooo Willie Young, and more Suh/Fairley as situational DE

Xiomera
08-02-2011, 12:13 AM
What OLineman are there we'd want?

Scotty D
08-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Not sure if they are guys we would want but...

Jacob Bell, OG
Leonard Davis, OG
Ryan Harris, RT

Dave Birkett said Jason Fox was playing LT and Donald Thomas was at RT because Gosder and Backus have injuries.

boknows34
08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Bobby Carpenter re-signed.

Zack Follett has been released. He said his neck was "on fire" as he tried to compete at camp and he wasn't able to participate in hitting drills.

Xiomera
08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Jared Gaither is a free agent still somehow.

If only we had the money ...

boknows34
08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Jared Gaither is a free agent still somehow.

If only we had the money ...

His back injury is a major red flag to teams. Apparently he failed his physical with the Raiders.

Xiomera
08-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Well in that case, I'd try and bring him in for cheaper.

It ain't happenin, cause Mayhew is content with his OLine starters, but he really shouldn't be. They need to add a tackle with injury concerns to Backus and Gosder.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
08-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Fairley had surgery today. He'll miss most of training camp. Hopefully back by the start of the season like Backus with his pec injury. Luckily we are deept at DT but I don't like this foot injury. Fairley rotating in is still a big part of our Dline being a force.

Prowler
08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
49ers are shopping Taylor Mays. I'd part with a 5th rounder to see what Schwartz and Cunningham could do with him. I doubt they'd take the trade though. He at least has speed and can hit. I doubt his coverage skills, but he'd help in a rotation or at linebacker.

BRAVEHEART
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
49ers are shopping Taylor Mays. I'd part with a 5th rounder to see what Schwartz and Cunningham could do with him. I doubt they'd take the trade though. He at least has speed and can hit. I doubt his coverage skills, but he'd help in a rotation or at linebacker.

I'd be very Happy if Schwartz and crew got him for a cheap trade. He's a ST ace at worst, and a guy who could back up The Missile or compete with Spievey for a starting spot. His athletcism is intriguing, and it's not like our S spots are 100% solid.

detroitsports
08-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Anyone know how Tim Toone has looked in camp? Been a huge fan since he was Mr. Irrelevant.

detroit4life
08-08-2011, 12:52 PM
and FA rbs we could look at now with leshoure out

Xiomera
08-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Ricky Williams. I'd sign him.

georgiafan
08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Portis, Rickey Williams, Tiki, Jerome Harrison

Xiomera
08-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Ricky signed with the Ravens today.

If one more person suggests Tiki "I've been out of football for 5 years" Barber, I will punch said person in the eye.

I'd be OK with Portis and Jerome Harrison.

Prowler
08-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Harrison would be the best option, but I think we should just bring Smith back.

Xiomera
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
No Smith. he sucks.

Prowler
08-08-2011, 07:31 PM
But what about my lions jersey that is now obsolete?

detroit4life
08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
i'd take harrison on the cheap side

georgiafan
08-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Also they may wanna wait for someone to get cut a few weeks into the preseason. Jason Snelling from the falcons would have been a good fit for you guys though Im glad he re-signed with the falcons on sunday.

Prowler
08-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I wish someone took a picture of Jerome Harrison's face when he found out Mike Bell was coming here too.

georgiafan
11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
lions sign Leonard Davis according to Adam S

Xiomera
11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Look at all the names on this list of players that have worked out for the Lions this week: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/11/detroit_lions_sign_guard_leona.html Antwaan Randle El? Haha

Prowler
11-07-2011, 12:08 PM
lol, Leonard Davis is probably the only guy who gets penalized more than Peterman. At least he actually gets some movement in run blocking though. Maybe he'll be our short yardage specialist?

Maybe This Year Mayhew
11-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Lions signed Kevin Smith back. That sucks probably means Best will be out longer.

Prowler
11-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I do like the Davis move though. We need more depth along the oline. He's played guard and tackle throughout his career. I know he's probably limited to guard and maybe right tackle now, its good to have depth heading into a playoff run.

DrunkenLament
11-08-2011, 06:59 PM
With Albert Haynesworth being released and with his obvious connection to Schwartz do you think we bring him in? On one hand DT is probably our deepest position, on the other hand, we drafted Fairley when DT was already our deepest position so why not now?

Silver & Blue
12-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Looks like the Lions have signed RB Joique Bell. If you remember he came out of Wayne State a couple of years ago after winning the Harlon Hill Trophy. He was also compared to Walter Payton when he was coming into the league (obviously he hasn't lived up to that yet). Anyway, I'm glad we signed him because I really wanted the Lions to get him after he went undrafted. So I'm guessing this means we might rest Kevin Smith for the last game, which is a smart move since we can't afford any more injuries at that position.

Xiomera
12-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Bell's signing smells like a no-so-secretive attempt to mine some knowledge of the Saints' offense from him. New Orleans is a potential 1st round foe.

J-Mike88
12-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Looks like the Lions have signed RB Joique Bell. If you remember he came out of Wayne State a couple of years ago after winning the Harlon Hill Trophy. He was also compared to Walter Payton when he was coming into the league (obviously he hasn't lived up to that yet). Anyway, I'm glad we signed him because I really wanted the Lions to get him after he went undrafted. So I'm guessing this means we might rest Kevin Smith for the last game, which is a smart move since we can't afford any more injuries at that position.
Good move.
With the way the Packers rush defense has made stiffs look, including giving up 199 to the bad news Bears backup RBs last night, Bell could jump in and have a huge game. Just hand him the ball and tell him to pick which hole he wants to run through.

By the way, if it were up to me, these guys would not suit up next week:

Rodgers
Nelson
Finley
Matthews
Woodson
Tramon
Raji
Burnett

What's the details between you and Atlanta and the #5 & #6 scenarios?
What do you guys want, 5 or 6? Who do you guys not want to face in the WC round? I would assume New Orleans... so that means you want the #5 and go to NYG or Dallas......

Prowler
12-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I want the 5th seed and I don't want our guys to get complacent. I want them to keep on winning and play hard every snap. Their slogan needs to be "earn it". This is all a learning experience.

detroit4life
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Definitly 5th seed. Priority #1 should be to not go to the super dome.

If GB plays rodgers on sunday I hope we blitz every time. Hit him every time he passes the ball and force them to sit him down

Xiomera
12-27-2011, 01:54 PM
A game against Dallas would be excellent. We'd get to play in a dome against a beatable team.

Prowler
12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Plus Dallas would be guaranteed to choke. We could take bets on how they would blow it. Coach icing own kicker? Romo botching an XP hold? Them randomly throwing a couple pick 6's when they have the lead? It would be awesome.

Scotty D
12-31-2011, 06:08 AM
We need to bring in Peyton Hillis.

Prowler
12-31-2011, 10:40 AM
If it keeps him out of Green Bay, then sure. I just don't want to pay him.

Scotty D
01-06-2012, 11:27 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Roseman-deserves-more-time.html
Roseman, at one point, had a deal to send Samuel to the Lions for a second-round pick, two sources close to the situation said. Roseman even went so far as to have the Lions call Samuel. But he wanted a first round pick instead and called off the deal.

(UPDATE: I received further clarification on this proposed deal from another source close to the situation. The compensation for Samuel that was agreed upon was not just a second round pick, but two second day draft picks, and the deal fell apart for reasons other than draft compensation.)

Just found this. Really interesting. Lions almost traded for Asante Samuel. He could have really made a difference for us.

Prowler
01-07-2012, 07:27 AM
He would have been very useful this week and we could have kept him as Wright walked next year.

cotts1
01-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Would have been sweet at the time but he is 31 years old. Probably best that this trade didn't happen.

boknows34
01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Pretty sure the Eagles will cut Samuel this offseason due to his salary so the Lions might still get him without having to spend any draft picks.

Xiomera
01-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Pretty sure the Eagles will cut Samuel this offseason due to his salary so the Lions might still get him without having to spend any draft picks.

Except the Lions won't have anywhere near the cap space. They're already in deep **** when it comes to retaining Tulloch and Avril, among others.

detroit4life
01-08-2012, 03:36 AM
I'd like to see us let tulloch walk, resign avril draft a LB and sign either Samuel or Finnegan in FA with the money saved form tulloch. And probly letting corey williams go

Prowler
01-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Tulloch is great, but he's the replaceable one due to Levy's versatility. Levy is practically two people and he'll be cheaper. Avril gets resigned and I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a DE if one fell to us in the 1st round. I expect Mayhew to be able to keep us in a good position.

Xiomera
01-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Let Tulloch go. He didn't impress me at all last night. Bobby Carpenter may well be able to play at a comparable level.

noondog
01-08-2012, 01:13 PM
After the past two weeks, I'm fine with Tulloch and Wright walking. I'd like to see Wlliams cut and KVB too for cap space. There are some FA's who can really upgrade us at CB this offseason if everything holds as is. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Finnegan re-unite with Schwartz.

Xiomera
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Mayhew doesn't spend big on long-term deals. If he did, we'd have Jonathan Joseph.

wingboy2999
01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
After the past two weeks, I'm fine with Tulloch and Wright walking. I'd like to see Wlliams cut and KVB too for cap space. There are some FA's who can really upgrade us at CB this offseason if everything holds as is. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Finnegan re-unite with Schwartz.

You don't think that might leave the cupboard a little bit too bare? Yes, I understand that you will always have some turnover on the roster but losing 3-4 contributors? That's a lot. I think you have to make a choice between KVB and Williams. I could care less about Wright [get a guy who can tackle]. Tulloch.... we will see. I'm not sure I necessarily agree that Carpenter can come in and just play as well as him.

Either way, what CBs do you see being on our shopping list other than Finnegan?

Xiomera
01-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't think Wright is a liability as a tackler. Amari Spievey on the other hand ....

noondog
01-08-2012, 09:01 PM
You don't think that might leave the cupboard a little bit too bare? Yes, I understand that you will always have some turnover on the roster but losing 3-4 contributors? That's a lot. I think you have to make a choice between KVB and Williams. I could care less about Wright [get a guy who can tackle]. Tulloch.... we will see. I'm not sure I necessarily agree that Carpenter can come in and just play as well as him.

Either way, what CBs do you see being on our shopping list other than Finnegan?

I think Asante Samuel will be available and I'd like to see him come in. Carlos Rogers possibly if the Niners don't retain him.

noondog
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't think Wright is a liability as a tackler. Amari Spievey on the other hand ....

I have to disagree. Wright is a nightmare when it comes to tackling.

I thought that Spievey was playing good football through most of the season, but either I was completely wrong or he just tanked at the end. Either way, I'm not comfortable with him moving forward.

Scotty D
01-09-2012, 12:37 AM
I think these guys are out there

Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Cortland Finnegan
Brandon Carr
Tracy Porter
Marcus Trufant
Rashean Mathis

Michael Griffin
Laron Landry

Let Wright walk. I was done with him after the first game in NO when he gave up on that long TD. Bring Tulloch back if you can't get an upgrade.

Xiomera
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I have to disagree. Wright is a nightmare when it comes to tackling.

I thought that Spievey was playing good football through most of the season, but either I was completely wrong or he just tanked at the end. Either way, I'm not comfortable with him moving forward.

Wright has faults and I want him gone, but it's his coverage, not tackling, that's alarming.

Prowler
01-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Cortland Finnegan
Brandon Carr
Tracy Porter
Marcus Trufant
Rashean Mathis

Michael Griffin
Laron Landry

Let Wright walk. I was done with him after the first game in NO when he gave up on that long TD. Bring Tulloch back if you can't get an upgrade.

I actually like all of those potential FA corners. Carr and Finnegan would be nice due to familiarity with Gunther and Schwartz.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Everybody seems to be worried about CB's but if you ask me, the DL let us down on Sunday not the CB's. You cannot give Brees all day to throw the ball and expect our CB's can survive. Even our LB's were exposed in pass coverage because the front four didn't get the job done.

Suh had a horrible season/game, teams have learned how to use his strengths against him and unless he learns to adjust, he will never reach the potential we all expected.

Corey Williams and Vanden Bosch look like they had reached the point where their skills have diminished and need to be replaced. Bosch isn't providing any pass rush and teams are running on us like we have no run stoppers on the DL.

IMO, blaming the CB's is absurd, they can get the job done if the defensive line can pressure the QB and not allow him to sit back there all day till a WR comes open.

If we cannot get a pass rush out of our DL, then even LB becomes a higher priority than CB, because when asked to pass cover with no pass rush, our LB's were just too slow to get the job done.

Maybe Gunter Cunningham isn't the man for the DC job, just maybe we need a more aggressive DC who can make better use of the blitz to cover up some of our weaknesses. Cunningham simply doesn't utilize the blitz much and IMO, didn't adjust well to the situation defensively on Sunday.

As for signing a bunch of high priced FA's, I seriously doubt it happens, when a team goes from 0-16 to 10-6 and makes the playoffs, players expect a huge raise and retaining your starters becomes problematical.

We are going to have very few spare dollars to even look at the best FA's unless we are prepared to make deep cuts on our roster. Just don't see it happening.

noondog
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Everybody seems to be worried about CB's but if you ask me, the DL let us down on Sunday not the CB's. You cannot give Brees all day to throw the ball and expect our CB's can survive. Even our LB's were exposed in pass coverage because the front four didn't get the job done.

Suh had a horrible season/game, teams have learned how to use his strengths against him and unless he learns to adjust, he will never reach the potential we all expected.

Corey Williams and Vanden Bosch look like they had reached the point where their skills have diminished and need to be replaced. Bosch isn't providing any pass rush and teams are running on us like we have no run stoppers on the DL.

IMO, blaming the CB's is absurd, they can get the job done if the defensive line can pressure the QB and not allow him to sit back there all day till a WR comes open.

If we cannot get a pass rush out of our DL, then even LB becomes a higher priority than CB, because when asked to pass cover with no pass rush, our LB's were just too slow to get the job done.

Maybe Gunter Cunningham isn't the man for the DC job, just maybe we need a more aggressive DC who can make better use of the blitz to cover up some of our weaknesses. Cunningham simply doesn't utilize the blitz much and IMO, didn't adjust well to the situation defensively on Sunday.

As for signing a bunch of high priced FA's, I seriously doubt it happens, when a team goes from 0-16 to 10-6 and makes the playoffs, players expect a huge raise and retaining your starters becomes problematical.

We are going to have very few spare dollars to even look at the best FA's unless we are prepared to make deep cuts on our roster. Just don't see it happening.

When a team gives up over 1,000 yards through the air over a two game span and the CB's drop several potentially game-changing INT's in the process, blaming them is the furthest thing from absurd.

I'm not saying that the rest of the defense is without fault, but c'mon man. It's not like they were being asked to cover for 5 seconds per snap.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
When a team gives up over 1,000 yards through the air over a two game span and the CB's drop several potentially game-changing INT's in the process, blaming them is the furthest thing from absurd.

I'm not saying that the rest of the defense is without fault, but c'mon man. It's not like they were being asked to cover for 5 seconds per snap.

First, the DL couldn't stop the run putting a lot of pressure on the back 7, then IMO, Brees had oodles of time to find his receivers, after all, how many reception have been deep patterns, that takes time and our DL gave him plenty of it.

Prowler
01-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I do believe that Gunther needs to stop with the single mindedness of "playing the rush on the way to the qb". Yes, get your penetration, but be a little more mindful of the RB on 1st down please.

detroit4life
01-09-2012, 01:58 PM

While I agree with the fact that the Dline didn't do great. They did make some plays, plays that our secondary failed to take advantage of.

Pressure goes both ways, our dline advantage can also be taken away by quick passes becasue our cbs can't cover. (Raiders game is the perfect example). We should only expect our dline to get better with Fairley healthy next to Suh and Avril.

Secondary on the other hand is not developing. These are veterans and untalented ones. When you play Arod 2xs a year and has to beat him atleast once in order to have decent odds at home field you MUST improve the secondary

noondog
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM
First, the DL couldn't stop the run putting a lot of pressure on the back 7, then IMO, Brees had oodles of time to find his receivers, after all, how many reception have been deep patterns, that takes time and our DL gave him plenty of it.

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/e3/fullj.13cb9e25780e5c596f75139a8e8a804a/ap-201201072227808214024.jpg

^ Remember this play? Meachem came to a near-complete stop to wait for the ball and still jogged into the endzone because no one was within 20 yards of him. THAT'S on the DL?

And how does that explain the dropped INT's or the nearly 500 yards and 6 TD's Matt ******* Flynn put up on us?

Anyways, I'm on record as disagreeing that blaming the CB's is absurd. We can just agree to disagree.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
While I agree with the fact that the Dline didn't do great. They did make some plays, plays that our secondary failed to take advantage of.

How many rushing yards did we give up??? It looked to me that they could have beat us just running the ball, if you don't think that doesn't put extreme pressure on the back 7???? How many sacks, tackles behind the line of scrimmage, and hurries did they produce, not a whole lot by my reckoning.

Our DB's and LB's were left on an island to make do the best they could and in those types of circumstances, it is never pretty.

Pressure goes both ways, our dline advantage can also be taken away by quick passes becasue our cbs can't cover. (Raiders game is the perfect example). We should only expect our dline to get better with Fairley healthy next to Suh and Avril.

I certainly hope for a better season from Suh because he wasn't much this year. As for quick passes, CB's cannot play tight if they know they won't get a strong pass rush, they are forced to play off because they know the QB will have all day to find his receivers.

Secondary on the other hand is not developing. These are veterans and untalented ones. When you play Arod 2xs a year and has to beat him atleast once in order to have decent odds at home field you MUST improve the secondary

I'm not saying our secondary is solid I'm just pointing out that we will never know if they can get the job done as long as the QB has all day to throw the ball. No DB can survive or look good in that circumstance.

Maybe it is Cunningham who needs to go, maybe he is the reason for our problems, maybe we need a far more aggressive DC to offset our lack of a pass rush.
I don't pretend to have all the answers but I know this, if our DL plays like this next year, we won't be taking the next step forward, so some solution needs to be found.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2012, 02:20 PM
http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/e3/fullj.13cb9e25780e5c596f75139a8e8a804a/ap-201201072227808214024.jpg

^ Remember this play? Meachem came to a near-complete stop to wait for the ball and still jogged into the endzone because no one was within 20 yards of him. THAT'S on the DL?

And how does that explain the dropped INT's or the nearly 500 yards and 6 TD's Matt ******* Flynn put up on us?

Anyways, I'm on record as disagreeing that blaming the CB's is absurd. We can just agree to disagree.

OK, although I'm not saying we are solid in the DB, just that we will never know as long as the DL cannot apply any pressure.

noondog
01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
OK, although I'm not saying we are solid in the DB, just that we will never know as long as the DL cannot apply any pressure.

I hear you bro, I hear you. It would be nice to hear the words "coverage sack" once in a while too though, you know?

Anyways, I think the big stage of the playoffs was pretty overwhelming for the team, never mind having to go up against Brees on the road. I think we'll learn from the game and be better for it in the long run. There are most def holes to fill, specifically on the D, and I'll leave it at that.

Prowler
01-09-2012, 03:28 PM
This was such a huge learning experience. We lost and now have the sting from this loss. The game was literally in our hands and we couldn't squeeze. That failure will be a great motivator. It will also be nice to have an actual off season program this year.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2012, 03:49 PM
On paper, we should be a legitimate contender next year for the Super Bowl, however, it is all going to come down to whether or not Suh can adjust his game. Teams have clearly learned how to play him and now he must adjust if he wants to remain a star. Without Suh as a star, we won't take the next step so I'm really hoping that he can take the next step and go back to dominating OL's.

Xiomera
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I think it's premature to think we're anything. Half of the defense will be revamped. That could go either way given our limited capacity to upgrade. Don't have a lot of cap space or high draft picks.

detroit4life
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Mayhew certainly has his fair share of work in front of him. There needs to be some contracts re-structured to be more cap friendly. If he can manage to do that and make serious upgrades to the defense we will have a very serious contender.

However, if he can't and we go into next year with the team pretty close to as is plus some rookies, this team i think still has the ability to compete with GB for the division and either way will certainly be a playoff team.

People seem to forget that this is Staffords first full season, and Fairly should be much better with a full training camp and a healthy foot.

BOTH should take a next step next year. Fairly is a player that should also command double teams and if he plays that way I'm not sure how you can play our Dline. Suh will get more single blocks and avril and KVB should dominate.

I think Fairly will be a difference maker and thought when he played he looked good. Suh in his 3rd year and Fairly in his 2nd. Remember the youth factor because theese guys are far from peaking.

Staffords the same way. He did well this year but lets be real he was a much different QB the last 5 games of the year. You could watch the development in front of our eyes. His decision making should only get better along with his composure.

I expect our offense to be even better next year and our defense, along with some improvements, to get better as well. This is a team on the up swing with very young players. Development and learning is part of the process

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Chances Avril leaves about 0, yes?

noondog
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Chances Avril leaves about 0, yes?

I'd put it at about 70-30 that he stays, but it will come at a cost, both literally and by way of having to cut others like Corey Williams to accommodate the cap hit.

SINCE1978
01-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Cortland Finnegan
Brandon Carr
Tracy Porter
Marcus Trufant
Rashean Mathis

Michael Griffin
Laron Landry

None of these CB's "thrill" me in FA ... I like Chase Minnifield (UVA), Alfonzo Dennard (Neb) or Brandon Boykin (UGA - rd 2?) & think they would be solid CB's to get in April. Landing one of these corners in FA will be difficult given Megatron is likely getting paid, Avril & Tulloch too.

Safety is another need & I like both the guy's you listed as available. Mike Griffin has the ties with Schwartz/Titans, which could be enticing. He & Delmas would be pretty sweet back there imo. I like his game but @ what co$t, ya know?!
Spievey is "learning" the position & more like a solid back-up to me (but not to Gunther Cunningham!) I also think a guy like Mark Barron (Bama) or Markelle Martin (Ok St) could be pick #23 & step in day 1 & start @ S if they went that direction.
Landry would be solid too, but again addressing these upgrades with FA is tricky, while keeping your own talent paid & in house.

Scotty D
01-10-2012, 12:57 PM
If Calvin signed a new deal it could actually save us some money on the cap this year. Worst case scenario he is a Lion for two more years. He's paid his dues for the Lions, I wouldn't be upset if he wants to move on. I think he'll stay though because of Stafford and their connection.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
If Calvin signed a new deal it could actually save us some money on the cap this year. Worst case scenario he is a Lion for two more years. He's paid his dues for the Lions, I wouldn't be upset if he wants to move on. I think he'll stay though because of Stafford and their connection.

I saw an article that Calvins cap number is 22 million this upcoming year. I hope thats not right. Long term deal is a must even if its only 17 or 18 million like I thought. Also based on the 22 million, his franchise number wouldn't be based on the average of the top 5 WR salaries but based on 120% of his cap number making his franchise cap number 26 million in 2013 and 31 million in 2014. Meaning franchising him is impossible unless they get to sign a long term deal. One of the few times the franchise helps the player. My guess is Calvin signs a long term deal at about 16 million per year over 7 years(higher than Fitzgerald). All I have to say is **** the old CBA. Stafford and Suhs numbers should be cut in half just to make things fair.

Xiomera
01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I read it's even higher than that. Kevin Seifert had an alarming blog entry yesterday or today concerning the Lions' problems with keeping Calvin.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
01-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I read it's even higher than that. Kevin Seifert had an alarming blog entry yesterday or today concerning the Lions' problems with keeping Calvin.

He had 22 million for 2012. He incorrectly calculated the franchise number though. Performance incentives are not included in the calculation per the CBA. So franchise number would be 22 million also in 2013. Still way too high. Long term deal must get done first and foremost before we get Tulloch or Avril back. I think Suh should restructure as well or we won't get both Tulloch and Avril, we are losing Eric Wright and we'll see what we do with Shaun Hill, Stefan Logan, Hilliard, Backus, Chris Harris/Coleman and Kevin Smith.

Xiomera
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
No idea what Logan makes (probably minimal), but I want a new return man. He didn't break any long ones this year and fair caught about 25% too many of his punt opportunities.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
True I'm good with replacing Logan. He was minimal though.

I just looked at 2012 free agents. Chris Houston,Levy,Sammie Lee Hill, Louis Delmas, Corey Williams,Gosder,Aaron Berry,Lawrence Jackson,Durant. Burleson and KVB making big money and Stafford and Suhs cap number growing big. Lions need to be smart with Calvin,Tulloch and Avril this year and have a really good draft.

Iamcanadian
01-10-2012, 03:35 PM

I just looked at 2012 free agents. Chris Houston,Levy,Sammie Lee Hill, Louis Delmas, Corey Williams,Gosder,Aaron Berry,Lawrence Jackson,Durant. Burleson and KVB making big money and Stafford and Suhs cap number growing big. Lions need to be smart with Calvin,Tulloch and Avril this year and have a really good draft.

Pretty well what I figured for next year. Most of our cap money will go to resigning veterans who will expect a raise after a 10-6 season and there will be almost no money for new FA's.

Prowler
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm not worried about Calvin's contract numbers. The lowered rookie salaries will lead to a decrease in veteran pay plus the salary cap will continue to rise. There should be plenty of money in the future.

cotts1
01-10-2012, 05:44 PM

I'm surprised that you seem to want Tulloch back. Am I the only one who thought he was a huge disappointment? If you just look at the numbers he was pretty good, but if you really watch him play you see mistakes galore. I will be surprised if he's back. He wants to get paid. I don't think we can afford him nor do I think his play warrants a long term deal...Worst case move Levy back to MLB....

Maybe This Year Mayhew
01-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm surprised that you seem to want Tulloch back. Am I the only one who thought he was a huge disappointment? If you just look at the numbers he was pretty good, but if you really watch him play you see mistakes galore. I will be surprised if he's back. He wants to get paid. I don't think we can afford him nor do I think his play warrants a long term deal...Worst case move Levy back to MLB....

Tulloch and Durant are the only ones who can tackle. Tulloch did better than Levy this year. Tulloch was never a coverage guy but can keep guys in front of him and make the tackle very quickly most of time. We'll see what kind of deals Tulloch and Avril want. They have to be smart given the free agents next year and how much Calvin,Suh and Stafford eat up the cap. The old CBA is about to bite us in the ass.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Pretty well what I figured for next year. Most of our cap money will go to resigning veterans who will expect a raise after a 10-6 season and there will be almost no money for new FA's.

Yep. Mayhew is going to have draft real well these next 2 drafts. I think we lose to some players because of the old CBA. Suh, Stafford and Calvin are going to eat up the cap. Calvin really deserves it but not 22 million obviously. It makes me sick how much Stafford makes compared to what Aaron Rodgers makes. If the NFL was fair they would cut Stafford and Suhs cap numbers in half(but they still get the original contract money) but that won't happen.

noondog
01-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Tulloch and Durant are the only ones who can tackle. Tulloch did better than Levy this year. Tulloch was never a coverage guy but can keep guys in front of him and make the tackle very quickly most of time. We'll see what kind of deals Tulloch and Avril want. They have to be smart given the free agents next year and how much Calvin,Suh and Stafford eat up the cap. The old CBA is about to bite us in the ass.

Or you can just look at it as our previous GM who's name we shall not speak continuing to punish us for his years of ineptitude.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Or you can just look at it as our previous GM who's name we shall not speak continuing to punish us for his years of ineptitude.

Yeah Millen was the problem for the losing but the old CBA bigger problem as we are paying out the ass for Calvin,Stafford and Suh. High draft picks help us get talent but that's it, but based on the old system we pay a big price for that talent. The new system you can get the same talent at half the price which is should be.

See what Stafford, Suh make compared to Rodgers and Jennings and Nelson and you will cry.

cotts1
01-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Tulloch misses a tackle for every tackle he makes. Yes he led our team in tackles, but virtually every teams MLB will lead their team in tackles. Its just the nature of the position. Tulloch has poor speed, constantly over pursues and often takes bad angles. Doesn't properly diagnose play action or screens. Average at best pass coverage. Can't shed blocks.

If you watch the real good MLB's in the NFL they make most of their plays at or near the line of scrimmage. Tulloch makes most of his tackles 5-10 yards past the LOS. Now Durant is actually a good LB. He had a bad game against the Saints, but he was by far our best LB this season IMO.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Tulloch misses a tackle for every tackle he makes. Yes he led our team in tackles, but virtually every teams MLB will lead their team in tackles. Its just the nature of the position. Tulloch has poor speed, constantly over pursues and often takes bad angles. Doesn't properly diagnose play action or screens. Average at best pass coverage. Can't shed blocks.

If you watch the real good MLB's in the NFL they make most of their plays at or near the line of scrimmage. Tulloch makes most of his tackles 5-10 yards past the LOS. Now Durant is actually a good LB. He had a bad game against the Saints, but he was by far our best LB this season IMO.

I agree Durant is the best because he sheds and tackles the best. But Tulloch can tackle and has made many plays on the LOS. Pass coverage is his weak point. We'll see what kind of deal he wants. Lions have to be smart with Avril,Tulloch this offseason given how many free agents in 2012. Calvin must be resigned first and foremost.

dan77733
01-12-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm a 49ers fan and was rooting for the Lions this past Saturday and even though they lost, they really just need to focus on the secondary and a better receiver opposite Johnson.

Secondary wise, I wouldnt be surprised to see if the Lions go after Finnegan and Griffin to match up with Delmas who they should re-sign. Draft another starting CB in the first round and the team overall will be good for a very long time.

SINCE1978
01-13-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm a 49ers fan and was rooting for the Lions this past Saturday and even though they lost, they really just need to focus on the secondary and a better receiver opposite Johnson.

Secondary wise, I wouldnt be surprised to see if the Lions go after Finnegan and Griffin to match up with Delmas who they should re-sign. Draft another starting CB in the first round and the team overall will be good for a very long time.

Thanks for stopping by & sharing! It's shaping up to be an excellent game in San Francisco this weekend. I am excited to see what your D can do against Brees.

Good call with the FA's ... I like both Finnegan & Griffin but it's unlikely they can 1) afford both & keep their own rising stars in house 2) pluck 2 players from the same team. But in a fantasy scenario those 2 plus a drafted CB would shore up the D in the D :-)
As for a #2 WR ... Titus Young really stepped up in the last 1/3 of the season. I think the chemistry is only going to get better with he & Stafford & we have high hopes for him for the future!

dan77733
01-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for stopping by & sharing! It's shaping up to be an excellent game in San Francisco this weekend. I am excited to see what your D can do against Brees.

Good call with the FA's ... I like both Finnegan & Griffin but it's unlikely they can 1) afford both & keep their own rising stars in house 2) pluck 2 players from the same team. But in a fantasy scenario those 2 plus a drafted CB would shore up the D in the D :-)
As for a #2 WR ... Titus Young really stepped up in the last 1/3 of the season. I think the chemistry is only going to get better with he & Stafford & we have high hopes for him for the future!

You're welcome and while its unlikely that the Lions would be able to sign both Finnegan and Griffin, its not impossible. I dont know what your team's cap room is but I do know that they should release a few players like Burleson, Vanden Bosch and Corey Williams because they're not worth the money that they're getting paid.

Delmas, Avril and Tulluch should be re-signed. If the Lions can keep them, somehow sign Finnegan and Griffin, draft a CB in the first round and have a good remaining draft, I think that they would be good for years because they're young.

Of course, before all of that happens, extending Megatron has to be the team's number one priority period. Back in 2007, I wanted my 49ers to trade up for him but I got Patrick Willis and Joe Staley so I cant complain. Solid LT and arguably the best ILB in the league. Its all good.

Back to Megatron, guy is just awesome. Watching him against the Saints defense, he simply crushed them period and if there was ever a game in which the losing team should have had a player of the game award, it was probably Megatron last week.

I'm obviously looking forward to seeing the 49ers/Saints game later today and even if the 49ers lose, their future is bright. And if they do lose today, im just hoping that its not a blow out and the officials better not screw over my team. Honestly, the officials screwed over the Lions last week and against the Packers the week before. It sucks, everyone wants to see the Saints and Packers and thats what the NFL is hoping for and im guessing thats what they'll try to get to. If my 49ers win, then im cheering for the Giants on Sunday. If not, then the Packers. On the bright side, the Ravens are my secondary team so if my 49ers lose, im cheering for the Ravens to win the Super Bowl.

Enjoy the games.