PDA

View Full Version : Mock #1, non-playoff

rowen545
01-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Rules
1). Will not project trades that have not been made.
2). Will not project FA signings

Draft
1). Carolina: Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
What we have in Carolina is a team that could really use help at almost every position (hence the #1 pick). With the huge news of Lucks return to Stanford the first pick is hard to decipher. Bowers, Green, and Fairley are getting a lot of talk as the new favorites as well as the possibility of another QB. I decided to say Bowers. He will help fill the void left by Julius Peppers. An effective pass rush from a teams' front four is a quick way to mask other defensive problems, and Bowers may be able to provide this. The success of Mario Williams also helps Bowers odds. Though I don't think Fairley and Green are very far behind.

2). Denver: Nick Fairley DT Auburn
Nick Fairley is a beast in respects to his physical tools and temperament. Dummervil coming back from injury should be enough to keep the Broncos from picking Robert Quinn, and I don't think they will give up on Robert Ayers yet. Fairley would really improve the line and could become the personality of the defense. Other possibilities depend on how much Champ Bailey has left in the tank and commitment to Tebow. But I think Fairley gets the nod if there at #2

3). Buffalo: AJ Green WR Georgia
I really feal as if the Losman/ Edwards failures in Buffalo has made them stubborn about drafting QBs high. I just have a gut feeling that they don't go QB here. This is a team that despite their record was competitive in almost every game. Taking AJ Green could really open the field up for the stable of running backs they have. He could also provide them with that extra big play they needed in a few games that could have been the difference.

4). Cincinnati: Julio Jones WR Alabama
While I won't project signings I do not believe that T.O. or Ochocinco will be back. Also with the rehiring of Lewis, Carson Palmer's job is safe at QB. Jones is a big target that compliments Shipley very nicely and he can be what Ochocinco once was.

5). Arizona: Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
Since I am not projecting trades or signings I will pick Gabbert here. I really wanted to pick Peterson or Dareus but the hole at QB is massive. Yes, Skelton showed some promise at the end of the year and bringing in a veteran QB to compete might even be ideal and then using this pick to aide a atrocious defense. But as of now they have an offense with enough weapons that it should be able to be explosive and the fact that it wasn't has to be maddening. Gabbert has all the tools, and if he helps keep that offense out there that might be the best medicine for the defense right now.

6). Cleveland: Patrick Peterson CB LSU
What they need is a WR but the top two are off the board and right now I don't know if the Browns will reach for Blackmon. But drafting Peterson at #6 should still be seen as a steal for the Browns here. He could very well be the next shut down corner in the NFL and instantly improves your special teams as well. Like Buffalo Cleveland needs playmakers and that is exactly what Peterson is.

7). San Francisco: Cam Newton QB Auburn
It is the end of the Smith experiment in San Francisco. The Heisman winner would move into a situation where he could compete for division titles right away. Newton is an underrated passer that is hard to sack and quick on his feet.

8). Tennessee: Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
The Titans are happy with Rusty Smith at QB... ... ... is a joke no Titan fan wants to hear. They immediately need a new franchise QB after the recent crash and burn. Anyone who watched the Sugar Bowl felt Mallett's pain as his WRs dropped all those balls, but they also realized that this guy can make any throw on the field.

9). Dallas: Robert: Robert Quinn DE UNC
I can't make my mind up on if it should be Quinn or Amukanara here. The reason I gave the slight edge to Quinn here is that the Cowboys secondary improved more towards the end of the year with McCann and Scandrick helping the starters. Also the uncertainty or Ware's contract and how well Quinn fits into this 3-4. On another note this is the first spot that I really thought about a team picking O-Line.

10). Washington: Jake Locker QB Washington
Maybe I'm wrong and Mike Shanahan has his starter in Rex Grossman. But I don't think this is the case. Locker still has all the tools that had him projected #1 last year. He still has the work-ethic and off the field demeanor that made owners salivate. What he now has that he didn't were some mind numbing performances for Washington last season. I think with the right coaching this guy could still be the real deal in the NFL and Shanahan might be just the guy to do it.

11). Houston: Prince Amukanara CB Nebraska
If Amukanara is still available at 11 you might see the Texan rep sprint to the commish. While another DE is high on the Texan wish list there is no doubt that the loss of Dunta Robinson when there was no depth behind him to begin with crippled this team and limited any complexity they could have to their defense. Amukanara is an elite prospect and would fit very well here.

12). Minnesota: Marcel Dareus DT Alabama
What do you mean the 4 first round calibur QBs were already taken? By the 12th? If this is the case Dareus is still a great grab here and can fill in for a Williams brother or two that may retire. Dareus has a great motor and physical tools. He also has an intensity that rivals Fairley's.

13). Detroit: Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
I was tempted to pick Jenkins here but if the Lions don't improve their O-Line they will need 5 QBs on the roster. Jeff Backus's best days are long behind him. I have Carimi as the best O-Lineman in the draft and was the cornerstone in the amazing running game for the Badgers over the last couple of years.

14). St. Louis: Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma St
Sam Bradford could really use someone to throw to. The Seattle game at the end of the year was hard to watch for this reason. Blackmon has great hands, runs good routes, and is very physical. He instantly opens up the playbook for Bradford.

15). Miami: Mark Ingram RB Alabama
This offense needs a lot. Pouncey and Hudson are also very likely options here but I gave the nod to Ingram. Miami will be to far down to get one of the 4 first round caliber QBs. Ingram will be a good supplement for the oft injured Brown and the aging Williams.

16). Jacksonville: Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA
The defense is improving but it still needs work. I chose Ayers over his teammate Moore here. Ayers is considered the best LB prospect by many and could get a lot of sacks for the Jags who have done a good job of improving the D-Line.

17) New England(via Oakland): Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
I think this guy is better than 17. And it pains me to give him to NE. But this is just how its playing out in my mind. Kerrigan is all kinds of versatile and would plug in to the already talented, young NE defense.

18). San Diego: Janoris Jenkins CB Florida
Jenkins will help fill the hole that Cromartie left. Really this San Diego does everything well and they should have a special episode of Unsolved Mysteries on how they missed the playoffs. Jenkins works here but a Clayborn at DE or Baldwin at WR would work too.

19). NY Giants: Nate Solder OT Colorado
Eli Manning has taken a lot of flak recently, as have Bradshaw and Jacobs. One of the things that got this team to a SB a few years back was a good O-Line. I do not think this is the case anymore, and I think its a big reason for the struggles at their skill positions. Solder is a solid pick here as would be Sherrod, Pouncey, or Hudson.

20). Tampa Bay: Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
Clayborn is an interesting prospect. He has all the tools he needs, but after watching a few Iowa games his conditioning really comes into question. While this is something that can be addressed at the next level it raises concerns about his work ethic among other things. But even with all these critiques I have him at twenty for now, because he really does have all the tools to use.

thebow305
01-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Nice Phins pick

cotts1
01-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Your assessment of the Lions is off. Backus had his best season this year. As a whole the Lions O-line was actually pretty good. Not saying they couldn't use an OT for the future but highly unlikely they use a 1st rd pick on one this year, especially since there doesn't seem to be an elite prospect available. LB and CB are by far the two biggest needs.

BallerT1215
01-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Nice Bills pick

proshoota25
01-10-2011, 01:26 AM
pretty sweet patriots pick.... cleveland going with peterson is interesting... u think they go CB two straight years in the top 10 with haden last year? not too sure if theyd wanna do that...

bullg8rdaddy
01-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Janoris Jenkins is not coming out, bro. Per his twitter.

descendency
01-10-2011, 01:47 AM
As a whole the Lions O-line was actually pretty good.
While the Lions OL isn't "pretty good", drafting a young rookie to play anything isn't going to improve the Lions OL enough fast enough to warrant a first round pick.

They need to get someone as a FA (Logan Mankins would be a nice improvement over whoever is playing at one of the guard spots) and could help keep Stafford from missing more games.

Young QBs need good OLs or they turn into David Carr.

---

I love the Patriots pick. I'm only slightly scared he can't cover good enough to be a LB.

DiG
01-10-2011, 07:58 AM
i dont like taking locker over guys like amukumura or dareus. i think locker is the choice only in a trade down scenario.

noondog
01-10-2011, 10:08 AM
While the Lions OL isn't "pretty good", drafting a young rookie to play anything isn't going to improve the Lions OL enough fast enough to warrant a first round pick.

They need to get someone as a FA (Logan Mankins would be a nice improvement over whoever is playing at one of the guard spots) and could help keep Stafford from missing more games.

Young QBs need good OLs or they turn into David Carr.

---

I love the Patriots pick. I'm only slightly scared he can't cover good enough to be a LB.

Statements should be qualified. The Lions O-Line WAS pretty good this year in pass protection. Gave up the 5th fewest sacks in the league I believe and generally protected well on the whole. References to Stafford and Hill's injuries point to bad luck as much as anything.

Having said that, the O-line as it pertains to the run game was awful; specifically at C and RG (Raiola and Peterman). Sims was average to below average at LG running as well. Anyways, the middle of the line needs to be addressed for certain, but not in the first round.

Lions would do well to continue addressing the D in rounds 1 and 2, then C/G in round 3.

rowen545
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah I just saw on ESPN that Jenkins is coming back, I guess this isn't the best time of year to release a mock for that reason.
Apparently I have grossly mistaken the Lions needs.
The Peterson pick was a hard one. Yes the Browns have Haden and he's a pro bowler. But at 6 I felt like Peterson was one of the best play-makers in the draft and what Cleveland needs more than anything is that type of player (granted they would prefer it at WR). That said that is a pick that I may change as the draft approaches.

49erNation85
01-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I dunno about picking Newton still.I really need to watch him in the game tonight.But I guess if Hargbaugh wants then he is our guy.But I would rather have Locker .

prock
01-10-2011, 01:36 PM
i dont like taking locker over guys like amukumura or dareus. i think locker is the choice only in a trade down scenario.

Yeah give him Dareus and me Locker!!

And at least do a whole round...

rowen545
01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I was just doing the none playoff teams. Trust me I'm working on far more, but for now I don't feel the need to release more.