PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospects from the BCS Championship Game?

The Dark Prince
01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I have been terribly behind in following the draft this year.

So let's have it. Absolve me by telling me, who are the draft prospects to watch in tonight's game?

The Dark Prince
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I mean, other than Cam Newton.

Chidi29
01-10-2011, 07:36 PM
All for Auburn. Newton (QB), Fairley (DT), and Ziemba (OT) are the top three I can think of.

Jeff Mahl (WR) is a prospect for Oregon though he isn't a top guy.

roscoesdad27
01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Great throw cam, w.r. dropped it.

regoob2
01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
How overrated is Cam Newton? I cant see this guy being considered a franchise QB and going in the 1st round.

A Perfect Score
01-10-2011, 09:04 PM
How overrated is Cam Newton? I cant see this guy being considered a franchise QB and going in the 1st round.

Answer? Very overrated. Nick Fairley is the best prospect on that team. He's an absolute manbeast. If Carolina decides they dont want to go QB, I think he's a legitimate contender for the #1 overall pick.

JPP90
01-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Answer? Very overrated. Nick Fairley is the best prospect on that team. He's an absolute manbeast. If Carolina decides they dont want to go QB, I think he's a legitimate contender for the #1 overall pick.

I absolutely agree with this. But I wonder if Fairley is the kind of the guy that can stay motivated with a huge contract or if he's another Haynesworth.

Black Bolt
01-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Based on what exactly? He has poise, incredible agility for his size and he throws with touch, especially to the flats. So what makes him overrated?

JaxJag_1
01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
C.a.s.e.y. M.a.t.t.h.e.w.s

A Perfect Score
01-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Based on what exactly? He has poise, incredible agility for his size and he throws with touch, especially to the flats. So what makes him overrated?

Unless your definition of touch is overthrowing intermediate routes or zinging passes as hard as he can, he really does not, but there's already a thread discussing that.

gator3guy
01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Fairley doesn't get as much hype as Suh did last year (not yet anyway), but he is every bit as dominant and does it against the SEC and now Oregon. I think Suh is the superior athlete and has more upside, but it wouldn't shock me like others have mentioned if he were to go #1 overall. Especially in a class like this with no clear cut #1. Also something to note is how teams react to his "dirty" rep as we have seen tonight. I personally don't think it will hurt him (in fact i think some teams might like that kind of edge), but it's something to think about anyway.

Black Bolt
01-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Fairley doesn't get as much hype as Suh did last year (not yet anyway), but he is every bit as dominant and does it against the SEC and now Oregon. I think Suh is the superior athlete and has more upside, but it wouldn't shock me like others have mentioned if he were to go #1 overall. Especially in a class like this with no clear cut #1. Also something to note is how teams react to his "dirty" rep as we have seen tonight. I personally don't think it will hurt him (in fact i think some teams might like that kind of edge), but it's something to think about anyway.

I think he has #1 locked up. Insanely quick.

keylime_5
01-10-2011, 10:12 PM

yes. I've been saying it since Luck went back that the Panthers' best bet is Fairley, who fills a big need and is the most dominant defensive player in college football this year.

brat316
01-10-2011, 11:20 PM
If Newton didn't declare this year it would be great.

DcmRulz
01-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Maehl=Eric Decker
Fairley's a freak of nature. definitely in the running for #1 overall

K Train
01-10-2011, 11:31 PM
casey ******* matthews

idk i just like rooting for him

gator3guy
01-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Maehl=Eric Decker

They're white that's about it. Decker is a big dude. Maehl is maybe 180 pounds. But Maehl is a solid player. I'm sure he'll find a niche in the NFL as a role player.

FUNBUNCHER
01-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Too bad Cam has a season's worth of film to review and not one game.

Don't know how he's grossly overrated, unless you don't think he's a top 10 prospect.
I'm not familiar with Oregon's roster, but they seem to have a couple LBs with pro upside, including Matthews.

They really beat Cam up today when he took off to run, more so than any other team this season.

Fairley looks like the first defensive player off the board. He keyed that Auburn defense and almost single-handedly shut down the Ducks running game.

EDIT: Dyer looks like a top 50 pick right now.

Babylon
01-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Maehl=Eric Decker

I like Maehl but he's about 25 lbs lighter than Decker.

Casey Matthews showed me something tonight, should i have ever doubted.

bigbuc
01-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Dyer is a freshman.

ShutDwn
01-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Fairley was by far the most impressive player on the field on basically every play.

FUNBUNCHER
01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Dyer is a freshman.

I know he's not draft eligible. That's the point. He already looks ready to earn a paycheck in the NFL.

Too bad he has to play two more years in college, since he's already 20 yearsold.

San Diego Chicken
01-11-2011, 12:03 AM
What are some thoughts on Cliff Harris? Sort of a weak tackler and gives up the big play every now and then but his ball skills are just phenomenal and I love his competitive attitude and physical ability.

Babylon
01-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Fairley was by far the most impressive player on the field on basically every play.

Without Fairley they probably lose by 30.

Duffman57
01-11-2011, 12:05 AM
What are some thoughts on Cliff Harris? Sort of a weak tackler and gives up the big play every now and then but his ball skills are just phenomenal and I love his competitive attitude and physical ability.

Kind Reminds me of Javier Arenas. Nickel Back and KR/PR man in the NFL. Not all that much else. I think he could be one of the best nickels in the league, as well as one of if not the best return man in the league, but i dont think he can play outside.

ThePudge
01-11-2011, 12:10 AM
No player in the conversation for a First Round Pick at this point has the character concerns of Nick Fairley. His talent level is similar to Suh's and McCoy's but character is what really separates them for me. You couldn't have asked for two higher-character guys with McCoy and Suh, but Fairley is the dirtiest player I've ever seen at the college level. He's very much like Albert Haynesworth, both on the field and concerning in the locker room. Can't say I fully expect him to keep this motivation up when he gets an NFL paycheck.

I regard him a Top 3-5 talent and he'll likely be drafted up there, but I expect that some teams might remove him from their boards.

bigbuc
01-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I know he's not draft eligible. That's the point. He already looks ready to earn a paycheck in the NFL.

Too bad he has to play two more years in college, since he's already 20 yearsold.

I like running backs with his size ( Or lack of ) at 5 foot 9 and 210ish looks compacted, quick and strong. He has that MJD in him. Legs like a clydesdale. Nice looking back. Keeps it up could be in for heisman finalist down the road.

BuddyCHRIST
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
How is he like Haynesworth in the locker room exactly?

I'll buy character concerns on the field, but I think those are overrated and some NFL teams like that. But anything else? Seems like a reach right now.

DBNYDP
01-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Suh tried to break Jake Delhomme's neck.
People don't mind those character issues all that much.
Haven't heard anything about him off the field.

ThePudge
01-11-2011, 12:28 AM
How is he like Haynesworth in the locker room exactly?

I'll buy character concerns on the field, but I think those are overrated and some NFL teams like that.

An NFL team is not going to like the fact that if he were playing in their league right now, he's have three personal foul calls a game and would be receiving fines every week for hits on Quarterbacks. He's a heck of a player, but he's also a liability. The softer the NFL gets, the fewer "dirty" plays are tolerated. I really question Fairley's intelligence and I'm not sure his attitude is going to rub veteran players if he's shooting their team in the foot. He didn't have problems in an excellent locker room in Auburn, but I'm inclined to think there is reason to be concerned when money enters the picture. He's a top talent in this draft, but he's one of the biggest boom-or-bust guys you'll see.

---- Edit: If you have 5-10 minutes you should look up Fairley interviews and compare them to how Suh/McCoy carried themselves a year ago.

Arsenal
01-11-2011, 01:04 AM
An NFL team is not going to like the fact that if he were playing in their league right now, he's have three personal foul calls a game and would be receiving fines every week for hits on Quarterbacks. He's a heck of a player, but he's also a liability. The softer the NFL gets, the fewer "dirty" plays are tolerated. I really question Fairley's intelligence and I'm not sure his attitude is going to rub veteran players if he's shooting their team in the foot. He didn't have problems in an excellent locker room in Auburn, but I'm inclined to think there is reason to be concerned when money enters the picture. He's a top talent in this draft, but he's one of the biggest boom-or-bust guys you'll see.

---- Edit: If you have 5-10 minutes you should look up Fairley interviews and compare them to how Suh/McCoy carried themselves a year ago.

I agree, he's awesome but he's such a freaking thug. If James Harrison thinks he gets fined too much, just wait until this guy gets in the league. You can honestly find him cheapshotting someone once a game and usually more. His actions in the Georgia game were just plain embarrassing and nearly started a brawl on the field after he illegally hit the quarterback time after time. I haven't heard of anything off the field with him but you could tell he isn't exactly the smartest guy after the championship game.

6xljcMJxJZg

gator3guy
01-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Assuming Rivera gets the job in Carolina, they switch to the 3-4, is Fairley still the pick? I'm sure he could play the nose, but I don't think that's his best fit. Thoughts?

ellsy82
01-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Suh was a once in a lifetime defensive player to aquire. The Lions now have a base to build their entire defensive scheme around. Not a whole lotta teams can say that. I rate Fairley right up there with McCoy. As good as both of them are, they just aren't as dominant in all aspects of the game as Suh...he's a complete defensive player.

But would I trade half of my draft picks to get Fairley? Damn right I would, no matter what scheme I run.

ellsy82
01-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Assuming Rivera gets the job in Carolina, they switch to the 3-4, is Fairley still the pick? I'm sure he could play the nose, but I don't think that's his best fit. Thoughts?

Good question. Does the switch from a 4-3 to 3-4 make them consider Robert Quinn with the first pick rather than Fairley? I still say no. As important as rush linebackers are for a 3-4 defense, it starts at the line, and Fairley would dominate and open up gaps for any linebacker.

gator3guy
01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Good question. Does the switch from a 4-3 to 3-4 make them consider Robert Quinn with the first pick rather than Fairley? I still say no. As important as rush linebackers are for a 3-4 defense, it starts at the line, and Fairley would dominate and open up gaps for any linebacker.

Do you think he's a better fit at the nose or 5 technique?

brat316
01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
I don't think Rivera is going to change schemes. He ran both the 3-4 and 4-3.

ellsy82
01-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Do you think he's a better fit at the nose or 5 technique?

By far he would be a better 5 tech. But, he's the type of athlete that could be a utility player, much like Baltimore's Ngata. I think some 4-3 team will pick him up long before any 3-4 team considers him as a gap opener, but you never know.

wogitalia
01-11-2011, 01:22 AM
I only saw one dirty hit in that video and that was the one in the back the others he was blocked into him or slightly late but the kind where it was a clean hit otherwise.

I like my DL to walk the line on hitting the QB, I'd rather a flag here or there and a bit of a fear factor than not hitting them.

Love Fairley as a prospect and think he can dominate at the next level. Don't know anything about off field stuff but on field he is elite.

TACKLE
01-11-2011, 01:23 AM

I honestly don't think it will be quite the concern you're making it out to be. Although admittedly their thinking will start to change eventually, I believe NFL coaches, especially defensive coordinators and D-Line coaches, still want players who are violent and physical. I know those coaches aren't necessarily decision makers, I don't think NFL organizations are at the point yet where they won't draft a guy because of fear of penalties. NFL coaches and GM's have been around football long before recent rule changes and I'm inclined to think they're mindset towards defensive lineman's style of play, believed changed all that much.

As for the off the field stuff, there is no position that intelligence is valued less at, then defensive tackle. Obviously you want all your players to be intelligent and articulate but that is not a main priority when looking at a DT. I don't know quite enough yet to make a judgment on him potential being a locker room cancer. He is a bit cocky and that might rub guys the wrong way, but think, he'll be going to a team (Carolina, Denver, Buffalo, Cleveland) that needs a turnaround in attitude as much as anything. I'm a big Canes fan but I can't stand Warren Sapp the person. He totally rubs me the wrong way. He is the poster boy for the arrogant, ignorant, self-centered attitude that has the potential to destroy a locker room. I can see how you see a little bit of Sapp in Fairley though I don't think Fairley attitude issues are nearly to the degrees as Sapp's. But as annoying as Sapp was/is, he undoubtedly contributed greatly to the toughness and to the attitude of that Bucs defense that was brought by more than just the sacks he had. If you're a team like Denver has been viewed as having a soft defense for at least the past five years, having someone who can bring that confidence and that nastiness can impact the attitude of the defense itself. The best defenses in the league all have players who push the fine line between illegal and clean. Obviously his attitude won't be tolerated if he doesn't have the success on the field to back it up. But if he can fulfill his potential, he can help provide a boost to a defense in more than he can individually contribute. We saw it this year with Auburn. Their defense was very average but mainly because of Fairley, people perceived them to be a tough, physical, aggressive group and personally I think that impacted how they played.

Maybe I'm reaching here (its certainly possible), but I still have the belief that the most physical football team on that day will win the game. Fairley brings that to the table. Though with all that being said, I totally agree that he is a boom-or-bust type prospect.

ellsy82
01-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Maybe I'm reaching here (its certainly possible), but I still have the belief that the most physical football team on that day will win the game. Fairley brings that to the table. Though with all that being said, I totally agree that he is a boom-or-bust type prospect.

We, sir, are in agreement. I don't think he's boom-or-bust tho. I'm pretty sure he's the surest thing in this draft aside from Amukamara. But everything else you said in your long, long diatribe voided any disagreements I had. Well put.

baronzeus
01-11-2011, 02:46 AM
I only saw one dirty hit in that video and that was the one in the back the others he was blocked into him or slightly late but the kind where it was a clean hit otherwise.

I like my DL to walk the line on hitting the QB, I'd rather a flag here or there and a bit of a fear factor than not hitting them.

Love Fairley as a prospect and think he can dominate at the next level. Don't know anything about off field stuff but on field he is elite.

Um, what? Fairly hit his helmet on the QB's knee. That's a foul and likely a fine in the NFL.

baronzeus
01-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Also, I think if he's on the board at 4, the Bengals pick him up.

metafour
01-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Um, what? Fairly hit his helmet on the QB's knee. That's a foul and likely a fine in the NFL.

He was blocked from behind into Murray's leg. If you watch his feet he's not even lunging at Murray, he completely loses his footing and falls. Fairley has gone over-board several times this year; that wasn't one of them.

Duffman57
01-11-2011, 03:08 AM
I don't think Rivera is going to change schemes. He ran both the 3-4 and 4-3.

Yep, he ran the Bears D with Urlacher when they were so good, then came over to SD as the LB's coach.

Scotty D
01-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Pudge, are you serious?

Forenci
01-11-2011, 06:09 AM

That's a pretty weak argument against him. I mean, if he has other off the field issues, so be it, but I don't know of any that I'm aware of. If hitting QB's hard and driving them to the ground is his big character flaw then he's in great shape.

I'm curious though, is he a guy that doesn't give a lot of effort or gives up on plays? I've personally never noticed it, nor have I heard people say it. If not, I don't see how he can be thought of as a boom or bust type player considering how dominant he's been this year.

Shane P. Hallam
01-11-2011, 06:15 AM
That's a pretty weak argument against him. I mean, if he has other off the field issues, so be it, but I don't know of any that I'm aware of. If hitting QB's hard and driving them to the ground is his big character flaw then he's in great shape.

I'm curious though, is he a guy that doesn't give a lot of effort or gives up on plays? I've personally never noticed it, nor have I heard people say it. If not, I don't see how he can be thought of as a boom or bust type player considering how dominant he's been this year.

I haven't seen motor issues from what I have observed. Also, I think teams will feel better about taking Fairley's attribute of taking things a bit too hard and far and trying to back him down rather than trying to coach him up to work hard every play.

Giantsfan1080
01-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Since when is playing to hard a bad thing?

GoRavens
01-11-2011, 08:14 AM
No doubt about it Nick Fairley is a dirty player. Great talent, big massive man, but I hate his annoying cocky attitude.
He's a loudmouth and a scumbag. That'll throw some teams off, but he'll still go top 10.

I_C_DeadPeople
01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
If he has motivation and off field issues, he would be a perfect Bengal pick. Having said that, the Bengals need a kick as* type of guy in that division so ironically it would be a smart pick.

Halsey
01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Is Onterrio McCalebb potentially eligible? He seems like the type of player who might not be a great prospect, due to his size, but also someone who may be better off just declaring anyway. He's just as likely to hurt his stock next year as help it.

Morton
01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
It's obvious to anyone who listens to Fairley talk that he isn't the smartest fellow in the world, and it should be obvious to anyone who watches him pile up personal fouls in games that he isn't the most scrupulous player either.

That having been said, he is obviously a physically dominant talent, and based on a talent alone deserves to be picked in the top 3 without hesitation. But he is a far cry from the type of prospect Suh is, because Suh had it *all* - talent, work ethic, and intelligence. There was absolutely no way Suh would bust unless it was via catastrophic injury.

There is a nontrivial chance that Fairley busts, but it won't be due to lack of talent. It will be because his work ethic sucks, or his attitude sucks, or his playing style gets him into trouble with the coaches or the league.

SenorGato
01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
No player in the conversation for a First Round Pick at this point has the character concerns of Nick Fairley. His talent level is similar to Suh's and McCoy's but character is what really separates them for me. You couldn't have asked for two higher-character guys with McCoy and Suh, but Fairley is the dirtiest player I've ever seen at the college level. He's very much like Albert Haynesworth, both on the field and concerning in the locker room. Can't say I fully expect him to keep this motivation up when he gets an NFL paycheck.

I regard him a Top 3-5 talent and he'll likely be drafted up there, but I expect that some teams might remove him from their boards.

Good post...definitely been saying the same thing about Fairley for a while. He just doesn't strike me as a very bright guy, and I do think money will be an issue with him.

Dareus and I'm going go throw out Heyward are two guys I expect to go before him...would not be surprised at all if he fell into the teens.

keylime_5
01-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Heyward and Dareus won't go before him. He does have character concerns, but he's a top 5 lock and is clearly the best interior lineman in the draft. someone that high will take the risk. He is a lot like Warren Sapp both on the field and off, who was a character concern to say the least, but he worked out okay for Tampa Bay all those years.

PossumBoy9
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Why would Rivera switch to a 3-4?

K Train
01-11-2011, 10:50 AM
fairley could play nose just like ratliff plays nose. they are the exact same player. not his best fit, but he could do it.

rivera doesnt run a 34 only...he didnt in chicago, kinda did in SD

ThePudge
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM

I'm just saying, if I'm a GM investing a Top 5-10 pick in Nick Fairley (where he absolutely deserves to go) I make sure I get to know this guy in and out. Basically I'm taking attitude, a lack of intelligence, and on-field discipline and projecting it to be potentially problematic when you put millions of dollars into the guy's pockets. Check out Warren Sapp's rookie contract compared to the one Nick Fairley would receive if he's drafted in the Top 3 Overall.

I'll say it again, I'm a huge fan of Fairley's and talent-wise I think he might be the most obvious #1 player in the draft. Da'Quan Bowers is a guy I've had Top 5 on my board since mid-season, but as a college lineman Nick Fairley's dominance exceeds any impact Bowers made this season. It seemed as if whenever his team needed it most (LSU, Alabama, Oregon, South Carolina) Fairley would turn into superman and play as much a part in sealing the game as Cameron Newton. Talent-wise he's really not far (if at all) behind Ndamukong Suh and might be on par with Gerald McCoy; however,

You may not think intelligence is a big issue for Defensive Tackles, and on the field it's really not, but how long do you think it's going to take Nick Fairley to morph into a professional? I guess we'll learn more about where his head is at as we move through the Combine and into April. Can anyone remember such a dirty player on the college football field in the last decade or two? He plays with so much passion and so much energy, but he plays with so little discipline. In the NFL he would have been fined multiple times for what he's done and likely penalized at least once-twice a game. I do think that is a concern for a young guy entering a veteran locker room and I think he'll be getting some tough love from his defensive coaches at the next level.

I can see why some people would disagree, because his motor is pretty good, he performed at a consistently high level this season, and he has no credible records of being an off-the field concern or bad locker room guy. His character obviously was no big deal in college, but consider me among those who think he could turn into a bit of a problem at the next level. We'll see, this is still early, but we'll learn more about his character in months to come.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-11-2011, 01:45 PM
You'll have a hard time convincing me that Fairley is any more likely to bust than Bowers, who is a low motor player that didnt show up until this season (granted neither did Fairley but Bowers was a hyped HS prospect who's been at Clemson for years)

I also dont have a problem with my DTs being dirty and Fairley doesn't sound like a complete moron when he talks; is he a rocket scientist (or, an architect...sigh)? No, but he doesnt have to be. You're not drafting a QB here

Suh was heavily involved with John Blake, fwiw. Very few prospects are 100% crystal clean

keylime_5
01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
if Fairley doesn't sound like a complete moron when he talks then your standards for complete moron must be pretty high :D. I agree that Fairley is a potential concern character-wise, but he's a DT not a QB or a WR or a guy who will complain about getting the ball. Worst case he's another Albert Haynesworth headcase, but I imagine he'll be more like Warren Sapp.

Halsey
01-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Bowers and Dareus are 2 years younger than Fairley. Nobody knew who Fairley was 2 years ago, while Dareus and Bowers are top prospects at 20 years old.

mpt117
01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
besides fairley and newton for auburn and maehl and matthews for oregon, what about the prospects of these draft eligible players from both teams?

auburn:
lee ziemba - OT
mario fannin - RB
antoine carter - DE
mike blanc - DT
josh bynes - LB
zac etheridge - S

oregon:
jordan holmes - C
bo thran - OT
spencer paysinger - OLB
kenny rowe - DE/OLB
brandon bair - DT
talmadge jackson - CB

these are the players that have caught my eye at one point or another this season or have been discussed as possible draft picks in preseason and during the season. would like to hear some thoughts on them. didnt include lamichael james (returning), darron thomas and darvin adams (dont think they will declare), michael dyer, onterrio mccalebb, phillip lutzenkirchen and cliff harris (not draft eligible)

ps: what do you think the draft prospects of oregon's kenjon barner in a year or 2? you think he has the potential to be drafted?

metafour
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Bowers and Dareus are 2 years younger than Fairley. Nobody knew who Fairley was 2 years ago, while Dareus and Bowers are top prospects at 20 years old.

Nobody except people who track football in Alabama. Nick Fairley was a pure freak out of HS and his 3* ranking was a joke as both Alabama and FSU wanted him very badly. Dude was a star basketball player which explains his freakish athleticism. He went to JUCO and only played one season, dominated, redshirted his 2nd year and once again somehow only got a 3* ranking coming out of JUCO.

Just because you never heard of him doesn't mean he wasn't an obvious NFL type talent coming out of HS. He was the best HS lineman to come out of Mobile since Sen'Derrick Marks; who was also a top athlete and ended up at Auburn and is now in the NFL.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
if Fairley doesn't sound like a complete moron when he talks then your standards for complete moron must be pretty high :D. I agree that Fairley is a potential concern character-wise, but he's a DT not a QB or a WR or a guy who will complain about getting the ball. Worst case he's another Albert Haynesworth headcase, but I imagine he'll be more like Warren Sapp.

my standards for complete moron when youre talking athletes is chris johnson

fairley surely isn't "well spoken" for sure, but he's capable of nearly coherent thought once you decipher his accent

K Train
01-11-2011, 05:07 PM
my standards for complete moron when youre talking athletes is chris johnson

me too, the guy cant even put a sentence together.