PDA

View Full Version : San Fran QB Situation - Thoughts?

RWills
01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Started thinking of this...Harbaugh wants a West Coast meaning a mobile QB who is accurate. Who can actually fit what they want??? You don't want to try to fit a square peg into the round hole.

1. Blaine Gabbert - Accurate and mobile, fits the WCO
2. Ryan Mallett - Bad feet, not accurate more known for arm, doesnt fit WCO
3. Cam Newton - He is mobile, but not acurate and not ready, they could tutor him for the future.
4. Jake Locker - He is mobile but he is not accurate.
5. Christian Ponder - Fits the WCO and can get him at rd 3-4, can he become a starter?

What about NFL players available
1. Kevin Kolb - fits the WCO, but Eagles claim to want 2 #1's, is he worth 1?
2. Donovan McNabb - Worked WCO in philly. Was it really the WCO? Not accurate
3. Kyle Orton - A good stop gap for any team needing a stop gap
4. Matt Hassellback - Read above
5. Vince Young - LOL, but you never know

I think Gabbert would be the pick IF he falls to them, other than that I think they pass on all the other rookie QB's in round 1

Thoughts?

ElectricEye
01-11-2011, 03:25 PM
I would add Josh Johnson to the trade possibility list. He was the first quarterback Harbaugh developed and has shown a lot of potential in spots. Likely wouldn't require the compensation or premium draft pick the others would. Good stop gap that you could flip and get further value for while you find your quarterback.

Caulibflower
01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I like Josh Johnson, too, but getting Kolb for less than 2 firsts seems like the best fit. I like watching Vince Young play (er....sometimes...), but I wouldn't want him on my team.

roscoesdad27
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Judging from his offense at stanford I expect a run heavy/power formation/playaction version of the west coast and mallet would be the best fit (cam will go #3 imho) with his ability to get the ball downfield when the safties crowd the box. Not gonna be your traditional 3 step drop wco imho, not with that o.l., running back and head coach.....I would describe it more a power run/playaction offense with west coast tendacies, mallet is the best fit unless cam is available.

Arsenal
01-11-2011, 03:36 PM
One of the things often mentioned in the Bay Area media about Jim Harbaugh is his scouting reports on quarterbacks while he was at Oakland. Apparently he wrote very accurate reports on quarterbacks like Tony Romo, David Garrard, and predicted Joey Harrington would be a bust.

This was also in a recent article.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/01/10/the-harbaugh-qb-challenge-whats-the-criteria-and-which-qbs-might-fit-it/

During his talks last week with the 49ers, according to an NFL source, Harbaugh was very clear that he felt he could find a QB in the draft, and possibly wouldn’t even need to use the No. 7 overall pick to do it.

This is also a quote from Harbaugh describing his quarterback.

Athletic instincts, accuracy, timing, decision making, leadership, intelligence, and you could keep going on and on here, and they’re all important.
-Jim Harbaugh

So it sounds like he might actually gun for someone he likes in the mid-rounds over someone like Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert.

Also the GM came out and said the team is going to consider trading for a new quarterback.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/baalke-niners-w.html

Yeah, sorry long post that didn't really rule out a lot. I still think it would be hard to pass up a chance at franchise signal caller at #7 if one is there but I trust Harbaugh whatever route he wants to go involving a quarterback.

Razor
01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I've been thinking about this as well. My conclusion is:

The 49ers should pursue Donovan McNabb. They have lots of talent on offense, they just hadn't had a QB to take them to the next level. McNabb is a proven, underrated QB who still has a few good years in him. Good fit too.
Obviously, McNabb isn't the QB for the future. Enter Christian Ponder. Ponder is made for the WCO: Intelligent, great intangibles, good mechanics, good precision and he's an underrated athlete. With a few years learning from McNabb I could see him taking over and being a fine NFL QB.

Babylon
01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Started thinking of this...Harbaugh wants a West Coast meaning a mobile QB who is accurate. Who can actually fit what they want??? You don't want to try to fit a square peg into the round hole.

1. Blaine Gabbert - Accurate and mobile, fits the WCO
2. Ryan Mallett - Bad feet, not accurate more known for arm, doesnt fit WCO
3. Cam Newton - He is mobile, but not acurate and not ready, they could tutor him for the future.
4. Jake Locker - He is mobile but he is not accurate.
5. Christian Ponder - Fits the WCO and can get him at rd 3-4, can he become a starter?

What about NFL players available
2. Donovan McNabb - Worked WCO in philly. Was it really the WCO? Not accurate
3. Kyle Orton - A good stop gap for any team needing a stop gap
4. Matt Hassellback - Read above
5. Vince Young - LOL, but you never know

I think Gabbert would be the pick IF he falls to them, other than that I think they pass on all the other rookie QB's in round 1

Thoughts?

I'll argue that Gabbert's 63% in the pass happy, throw bubble screens Big-12 is no better than that of Newton and Mallett in the SEC or Locker for that matter throwing to average to below average receivers in the pac-10. Myself i'd go:

Mallett
Locker (can easily move to the top with a stong post season)
Gabbert
Newton

My guess is Harbuagh would probably not go with any of these guys. My opinion of him is he probably thinks he can put anyone back there and he'll make them better.

49erNation85
01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Gabbert doesn't fell the hype IMO .He doesn't have the arm strength as Mallet or Locker does . He won't go in the first round nor do I want Newton , after the game last night he still has a lot of accuracy issues when he had all day to throw he still over threw WR who was wide open. I wouldn't take Kolb , Eagles want way to much for an overrated back up . McNabb I could less about hes getting up there in age and would be a stop gap and we would still have to draft a QB maybe in mid rounds like Stanzi or Dalton if we go sign him , only because he is gonna want way to much . I don't mind Mallet , loved him playing in the SEC games hes the tools and arm . So my top QB for the 49ers hopefully we either go after Locker , Mallet , Stanzi or Dalton draft wise . Then as far as FA wise , Orton or McNabb would be a fun stop gap .

brasho
01-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Do you guys really think that Harbaugh would hitch his hopes on a veteran QB that he knew he couldn't develop and whose best days are behind him?

McNabb is a definte "NO"

Vince Young doesn't have the release and not likely the brains to be what Harbaugh would want in a QB

Josh Johnson has played far more snaps than ANY QB that Harbaugh has ever been around, including Andrew Luck. He threw 43 TDs to 1 INT in his senior year, you don't think Harbaugh is likely to forget that, do you? He has excellent athleticism, a good arm and pretty good release, he's been in the NFL for 3 years and has shown that he can play. He would be significantly cheaper than Kolb and likely have a far higher upside.

This one is a no-brainer, it is Josh Johnson... just like I was saying when I thought Harbaugh was going to Miami...Josh Johnson.... and consider this:

If/when the lockout happens, players will likely be spending mimimal time with their teams before the season starts. A veteran or rookie QB will not likely have the optimal amount of time to absorb a new offense... so who better to absorb a new offense than a guy that already knows it? Josh Johnson for that reason, the reason that he is still very young, the reason that he is extremely talented, the reason that he is a top 3-5 athlete at the QQB position are why Harbaugh will go hot and heavy after Johnson.

brasho
01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
If Harbaugh goes with Johnson, he doesn't have to worry so much about developing a young QB, he is already nearly there.. he has a great work ethic, too. He is a young starter, ready to go, ready to win right now... there is no wating 3-4 years to see if he develops. I'm thinking the Bucs let him go for a 2nd.

49erNation85
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
How is Johnson a no brainier ? Just because he played with Hargbaugh before doesn't he will again. I still think they go after a young QB in the draft who they can mold and teach into the WCO style and keep for future years .Maybe sign some one for back up duties or just keep Carr for back up .

brasho
01-11-2011, 04:34 PM
How is Johnson a no brainier ? Just because he played with Hargbaugh before doesn't he will again. I still think they go after a young QB in the draft who they can mold and teach into the WCO style and keep for future years .Maybe sign some one for back up duties or just keep Carr for back up .

A no-brainer as far as veterans.... If he wants to win now, he goes after a vet, if he wants to take his lumps while vets like Patrick Willis and Frank Gore have to wait to win, then he goes rookie... I think he wants to win now.

princefielder28
01-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Ricky Stanzi seems like Harbaugh's type of quarterback

bam bam
01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I think the 9ers should skip QB this year or draft one late, then sell out next year to obtain Luck.

By sell out, I mean trade multiple firsts, not purposely blow games.

diabsoule
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
If SF were to take a QB in the 1st round I think it would be Locker. Harbaugh knows him from having coached against him, he could work with his accuracy and he possesses most, if not all, of the qualities that he looks for in a QB.
I think that trading for Josh Johnson is a very real possibility and would give them time to groom his successor.

SRK85
01-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Kolb could be a good fit, give the 49ers a decent QB and they will be in the playoffs.

BeerBaron
01-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I've been thinking about this as well. My conclusion is:

The 49ers should pursue Donovan McNabb. They have lots of talent on offense, they just hadn't had a QB to take them to the next level. McNabb is a proven, underrated QB who still has a few good years in him. Good fit too.
Obviously, McNabb isn't the QB for the future. Enter Christian Ponder. Ponder is made for the WCO: Intelligent, great intangibles, good mechanics, good precision and he's an underrated athlete. With a few years learning from McNabb I could see him taking over and being a fine NFL QB.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/zeh000/rageguy.gif

He was very much overrated for many years in Philly, struggling with his accuracy and choking in almost every big game. And now after a very rough year in Washington, I wouldn't touch him as a starter. Someone probably will, but I wouldn't do it.

As for the 49ers, I'd love to see them trade for Josh Johnson. Most of this board had a man crush on him in the draft and he put up a ridiculous season statistically as a senior with Harbaugh...I'd love to see them reunited in the pros.

LizardState
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Rather than made do with Alex Smith another yr. or bring an FA QB, I think they will take one from the draft.

Harbaugh will be allowed several yrs. to develop a young QB, as witnessed by Andrew Luck at Stanford this is what he does best. It will take multiple yrs. & at least a couple of drafts & fa offseasons to put the 9ers back to a competitive level, & you have to think they can only be better coached & managed based on the 2010 disaster: no GM, fired OC before November, etc.

If SF were to take a QB in the 1st round I think it would be Locker.

I agree but the price might be too high if they have to move up to get him. Many think he will be there at their pick, that's a real crapshoot.

The more Ponder is analyzed the more his downside & knocks on him remind me of those on the recent Hall of Famer to whom some compare him, Joe Montana, in 1978. Montana was an unknown quantity when Walsh put him in for DeBerg in '79 -- DeBerg was getting hammered weekly behind one of the worst o-lines in the NFL, so Walsh completely revamped the offense with the early WCO, & they had a QB flexible enough to grasp it & work its assets.

Maybe they will dump the Smith-friendly shotgun-spread with him & return to a WCO variation or pro set to make the best use of Vernon Davis, Crabtree & Josh Morgan. The key is giving Harbaugh the time & pieces to develop it. They have a very young & work in progress OL -- Chilo Rachal won't be benched anymore it's time for him to be replaced, Heitman may be done at center as well -- so there's still a lot of work & rework to be done offensively.

Babylon
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
^
It'll be interesting to see what Harbaugh thinks of Locker. Jake had a rough night against the Cardinal and i always wonder if coaches think that either they could coach him up better or are aware of what he has to work with.

Steve DeBerg referances are always good but couldnt help think that most on here have no idea what you are talking about.:-D

brasho
01-12-2011, 05:59 AM
^
It'll be interesting to see what Harbaugh thinks of Locker. Jake had a rough night against the Cardinal and i always wonder if coaches think that either they could coach him up better or are aware of what he has to work with.

Steve DeBerg referances are always good but couldnt help think that most on here have no idea what you are talking about.:-D

You know better that to ask that question... all offensive "geniuses" think that they can talk a raw unmolded piece of clay and turn him into 1st ballot hall-of-famer.

Brent
01-12-2011, 06:52 AM
If SF were to take a QB in the 1st round I think it would be Locker.
If my team beat yours 41-0 and I watched you go 7 of 14 for 64 yards, I don't think I'd be all that impressed.

Also, I think people need to cool out with the "Harbaugh is going to go after [player's name] because he coached him in college." Did you see Pete Carroll take several guys he coached at SC? What about Jimmy Johnson back in the day at Dallas? Barry Switzer? No, they went after people that fit the system, regardless of where they went to school.

Why give up a pick for Josh Johnson who didn't look all that great when he has played (anyone remember that stinker against Washington he had? how about the following week in Philly?), when you could draft someone with better physical talents and not waste a draft pick?

Vox Populi
01-12-2011, 07:05 AM
I really don't think he'll end up taking a QB at 7. I think its more likely they take Amukamara or Peterson if they're available at their pick. I don't think any of the QB's are worth taking before 11ish other than maybe Newton to the Bills.

TornadoRex
01-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Why give up a pick for Josh Johnson who didn't look all that great when he has played (anyone remember that stinker against Washington he had? how about the following week in Philly?), when you could draft someone with better physical talents and not waste a draft pick?

Yeah, because that was a wonderful sample size to judge a 23-year old making his first starts with the gutted 2009 Bucs team.

Also not sure what you're referring to as "better physical talents." There are VERY few quarterbacks that meet that standard.

Morton
01-12-2011, 08:43 AM
If there's anybody who knows how to select a good quarterback, it's going to be this guy.

I can't wait to see who he decides to pursue. I'm certain that whoever it ends up being will become an elite QB within the next five years.

Harbaugh is awesome.

PACKmanN
01-12-2011, 08:49 AM
One of the things often mentioned in the Bay Area media about Jim Harbaugh is his scouting reports on quarterbacks while he was at Oakland. Apparently he wrote very accurate reports on quarterbacks like Tony Romo, David Garrard, and predicted Joey Harrington would be a bust.

This was also in a recent article.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/01/10/the-harbaugh-qb-challenge-whats-the-criteria-and-which-qbs-might-fit-it/

This is also a quote from Harbaugh describing his quarterback.

So it sounds like he might actually gun for someone he likes in the mid-rounds over someone like Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert.

Also the GM came out and said the team is going to consider trading for a new quarterback.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/baalke-niners-w.html

Yeah, sorry long post that didn't really rule out a lot. I still think it would be hard to pass up a chance at franchise signal caller at #7 if one is there but I trust Harbaugh whatever route he wants to go involving a quarterback.

well if he doesn't spend the 7th overall pick on a qb, Locker or Gabbert may not be there for them in the second. Maybe Ponder comes to play? He fits the things Harbaugh wants.

Miaoww
01-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I think Harbaugh is the genius behind Luck. I'd be confident he can find a QB in the draft to develop. Who that is I've no idea.

FUNBUNCHER
01-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Ricky Stanzi seems like Harbaugh's type of quarterback
I think Stanzi is going to be more highly regarded among NFL GMs than he is right now by football fans.
He quietly had a great season in the Big 10, threw for 25 TDs and 4 picks in a pro-style offense and completed over 64% of his passes.
Solid arm, 6'4, 230#, three year starter, good decision maker.

So why is Gabbert rising in the minds of draft analysts while Stanzi is the invisible man??

Stanzi may not have the stratospheric upside of Newton/Mallett/Locker, but IMO I could easily see him achieving a Matt Ryan level of success in the NFL.

I don't think Harbaugh would grab Stanzi with the 7th pick, but I would not be surprised if Stanzi ends up going in the 1st round.

My three favorite QBs in this draft are Newton with Mallett and Locker in a close tie, but the last week or so I've been feeling more love for Stanzi.

He's one of the few guys I think would be capable of starting week 1 as a rookie and not embarrass himself.

SolidGold
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Funbuncher,

Stanzi is one of my fav QBs in this draft. I do not think he will be a first round pick but would not be surprised if is picked as early as the late second round. He has all the tools to develop into a good QB at the next level. The improvement of his game from his Junior to Senior season is undeniable. Playing in a pro-style offense really helps him out as well.

TheMorningZoo
01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
I think Locker will be the QB pick if they decide to go QB Via Draft. It makes the most sense! Think about it, Harbaugh faced locker several times-so he has gameplanned (granted it is not too hard to Gameplan against UDub of recent years) and nows Locker's strengths and weaknesses. He has turned Josh Johnson into an NFL Draft Pick (and productive College QB) and we have seen what he has done with Andrew Luck. Locker has the intangibles, work ethic and desire to want to win unlike a JaMarcus or Ryan Leaf, so I think Harbaugh can work on his deficiencies. He played in a pro-style offense for only two years and was injured another, so he is raw but he has what you look for in a Franchise QB. He has even had a few big wins and lets face it, when Washington didn't have Locker they didn't stand a chance. The 7th spot might be high for him and leave people scratching their heads, and by all means if they can trade down it would make sense (but it takes two to tango). I think they might target a QB via FA, so we will see what happens but I think Locker-Harbaugh combo could really flourish. Locker is a West Coast guy and Harbaugh might feel more comfortable with knowing what he is going to get.

bucfan12
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I think Locker will be the QB pick if they decide to go QB Via Draft. It makes the most sense! Think about it, Harbaugh faced locker several times-so he has gameplanned (granted it is not too hard to Gameplan against UDub of recent years) and nows Locker's strengths and weaknesses. He has turned Josh Johnson into an NFL Draft Pick (and productive College QB) and we have seen what he has done with Andrew Luck. Locker has the intangibles, work ethic and desire to want to win unlike a JaMarcus or Ryan Leaf, so I think Harbaugh can work on his deficiencies. He played in a pro-style offense for only two years and was injured another, so he is raw but he has what you look for in a Franchise QB. He has even had a few big wins and lets face it, when Washington didn't have Locker they didn't stand a chance. The 7th spot might be high for him and leave people scratching their heads, and by all means if they can trade down it would make sense (but it takes two to tango). I think they might target a QB via FA, so we will see what happens but I think Locker-Harbaugh combo could really flourish. Locker is a West Coast guy and Harbaugh might feel more comfortable with knowing what he is going to get.

He game- planned for Locker many times and look at this year. He only threw for about, say 60-70 yds against the Stanford defense? Jake Locker will not and should not be a top 10 pick.

Peter King reportedly said on the Herd that keep an eye on the 49ers targeting Josh Johnson, QB from the Buccaneers. He is a perfect fit in their West Coast Offense and Harbaugh coached him at San Diego State. He could be a stop gap for the 49ers and they could try and develop a guy like Devlin from Delaware or Kapernack from Nevada. Honestly, Harbaugh is a smart guy when it comes to QBs. I doubt he will reach for a guy like Locker or Mallett at 7. Even Gabbert if he is there might be considered a reach.

Babylon
01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
He game- planned for Locker many times and look at this year. He only threw for about, say 60-70 yds against the Stanford defense? Jake Locker will not and should not be a top 10 pick.

Peter King reportedly said on the Herd that keep an eye on the 49ers targeting Josh Johnson, QB from the Buccaneers. He is a perfect fit in their West Coast Offense and Harbaugh coached him at San Diego State. He could be a stop gap for the 49ers and they could try and develop a guy like Devlin from Delaware or Kapernack from Nevada. Honestly, Harbaugh is a smart guy when it comes to QBs. I doubt he will reach for a guy like Locker or Mallett at 7. Even Gabbert if he is there might be considered a reach.

Harbaugh also game planned against Washington's offensive line and receivers. I have no idea what he thinks of Locker but he probably can compare apples to apples better than any of us.

My guess is Harbaugh probably goes for a Stanzi or a Dalton and figures he can coach these guys up, i think Harbaugh's ego is probably such that he feels he doesnt need a #1 pick to make a guy into a top QB, sort of the same mentality that Mike Holmgren has.

49erNation85
01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Harbaugh also game planned against Washington's offensive line and receivers. I have no idea what he thinks of Locker but he probably can compare apples to apples better than any of us.

My guess is Harbaugh probably goes for a Stanzi or a Dalton and figures he can coach these guys up, i think Harbaugh's ego is probably such that he feels he doesnt need a #1 pick to make a guy into a top QB, sort of the same mentality that Mike Holmgren has.

I wouldn't mind either of those QB 's at the 49ers .They could draft them in the 4th round per say with out extra pick.Then they could possibly bring in a veteran or a FA QB for a stop gap to win a couple seasons .

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
01-13-2011, 02:18 AM

With there likely being no OTAs and offseason workouts I think it would be wise to give up a draft pick for a QB that already has played in Harbaugh's system so the 49ers can have someone with experience when they are installing the offense during training camp. Plus it would give SF a long term back up. Which, along with a starting QB, is something SF has failed to do over the last few seasons.

Wrathman
01-13-2011, 02:31 AM

This seems to be the internet rumor of the year so far. I've read nothing from any team source saying that the Eagles want two No. 1 picks to move Kolb. I've read media speculation that might be the case and I've seen every football board I visit run with that speculation as if it was a fact.

That said, I do expect the Eagles to have a high price tag on Kolb in a quarterback-starved league.

bruschis4all
01-13-2011, 07:04 AM
This seems to be the internet rumor of the year so far. I've read nothing from any team source saying that the Eagles want two No. 1 picks to move Kolb. I've read media speculation that might be the case and I've seen every football board I visit run with that speculation as if it was a fact.

That said, I do expect the Eagles to have a high price tag on Kolb in a quarterback-starved league.

I've heard John Clayton speculate the Eagles would take a one and three. They can ask for two 2nd's, doesn't mean they would get it. Given that SF's pick is so high. I'd bet the Eagles would be ecstatic to get that pick and a three. They need to rebuild their ol and add parts on defense too. If they think Vick is the guy, Kolb is a luxury. Not money wise. Just what he can fetch in return. I'm not sold on Kolb either by the way. He had great talent in Philly and didn't utilize. Kept checking down to the easy throw and not getting the ball to D.Jackson or J. Maclin. Buyer beware

Brent
01-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Given that SF's pick is so high. I'd bet the Eagles would be ecstatic to get that pick and a three.
There is no way they would give up the #7 overall pick for Kolb.

no bare feet
01-13-2011, 07:48 AM
There is no way they would give up the #7 overall pick for Kolb.

for sure. Ihas the OC been announced for the 49ers?

SolidGold
01-13-2011, 07:53 AM
No offense to any Josh Johnson fans but people seem to be talking him up an awful lot. He did have insane college stats but was a later round pick and the Bucs thought enough of him to draft Josh Freeman in the first round the next year. I don't think he would be any better than a spot starter like Troy Smith.

king2am
01-13-2011, 08:09 AM
No offense to any Josh Johnson fans but people seem to be talking him up an awful lot. He did have insane college stats but was a later round pick and the Bucs thought enough of him to draft Josh Freeman in the first round the next year. I don't think he would be any better than a spot starter like Troy Smith.

I don't think anyone is calling Josh Johnson the savior or quarterback of the future. It would make sense to bring in someone to bridge the gap if we can't get a rookie quarterback ready to go day one.

The difference is Josh Johnson has worked with Harbaugh - Troy Smith has not. That right there leads me to believe that he would fair much better than Smith.

phlysac
01-13-2011, 10:43 AM
This quote can't be ignored

If there was a SAT for football, Josh Johnson would ace it.

iowatreat54
01-13-2011, 10:47 AM
You guys are getting my hopes up now and it's making me want Stanzi to go to the Niners. Harbaugh would be a great coach for Captain America.

bucfan12
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I've heard John Clayton speculate the Eagles would take a one and three. They can ask for two 2nd's, doesn't mean they would get it. Given that SF's pick is so high. I'd bet the Eagles would be ecstatic to get that pick and a three. They need to rebuild their ol and add parts on defense too. If they think Vick is the guy, Kolb is a luxury. Not money wise. Just what he can fetch in return. I'm not sold on Kolb either by the way. He had great talent in Philly and didn't utilize. Kept checking down to the easy throw and not getting the ball to D.Jackson or J. Maclin. Buyer beware

A 1st and 3rd for Kolb? That is a joke. Maybe a 3rd thats it. He isn't even worthy of 1st round pick. Heck if Kolb was in this 2011 draft, I don't think he would be taken until round two or 3. Harbaugh is a smart coach and decision maker, and I doubt he would give up a 1 and 3 for a back up QB.

ElectricEye
01-13-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm just not sure you can use that argument for him yet. Josh Freemen really didn't do much better when he replaced him. When Maurice Stovall shows up on a list of your leading receivers, you're usually in trouble. Would I give up a high draft pick for him? Probably not. But I think he really could be worth a 4th or a 5th round draft pick. I would draft another quarterback no matter what, but if he comes in and plays well, there's going to be a lot of demand for a 25 year old quarterback who can start. If not...you gambled and lost a low draft pick.

bucfan12
01-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm just not sure you can use that argument for him yet. Josh Freemen really didn't do much better when he replaced him. When Maurice Stovall shows up on a list of your leading receivers, you're usually in trouble. Would I give up a high draft pick for him? Probably not. But I think he really could be worth a 4th or a 5th round draft pick. I would draft another quarterback no matter what, but if he comes in and plays well, there's going to be a lot of demand for a 25 year old quarterback who can start. If not...you gambled and lost a low draft pick.

A lot of scouts still like Josh Johnson's potential and even Tampa's coaching staff believes he has a future in this league. When he was drafted, they said he would be a perfect WCO type of QB, but was raw and needed a while to sit and learn before he was ready to take the field. As a Bucs fan, I love JJ as our backup if something ever happened to Freeman, but I would root for him in San Fransisco if he gets a shot to play there. He is a great leader who has a strong arm and can avoid pressure with his speed. However, I hoped he worked on his vision, where he runs if the 1st guy isn't open.

will99890
01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I say skip the veteran QB's and draft one of Ponder, Dalton, or Stanzi. I would let Alex Smith start again next year (say what you want about him but he has put up back to back 80.0+ QB rating seasons.) Josh Johnson is the only veteran worth a look in my opinion.

brasho
01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
If my team beat yours 41-0 and I watched you go 7 of 14 for 64 yards, I don't think I'd be all that impressed.

Also, I think people need to cool out with the "Harbaugh is going to go after [player's name] because he coached him in college." Did you see Pete Carroll take several guys he coached at SC? What about Jimmy Johnson back in the day at Dallas? Barry Switzer? No, they went after people that fit the system, regardless of where they went to school.

Really? Jimmy Johnson didn't pick Russell Maryland or Michael Irvin? ANd yeah, I remember the stinker Josh Johnson had vs Washington, it was his first professional start for a horrible team after getting little reps in training camp and spending the entire previous season and preseason as the 4th string QB. Are you just trying to prove yourself wrong?

No matter what the 49ers do, select a QB or trade for one, they will be "wasting a draft pick".

As far as "better physical talents"??? So I take it there are tons of QBs out there with adequate size (6'3 214), a good arm, great feet, outstanding speed (4.50), whose coach already knows from firsthand knowledge that he can play?

brasho
01-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times pretty much admitted that reporters are fed information unofficially to get the word out and gauge and get reaction around the league.

SenorGato
01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Doesn't Josh Johnson weigh like 50 pounds?

Not sure who they would go with, but I think he could do well with Locker if he tried it out.

brasho
01-13-2011, 01:04 PM

He came into the league as a 5th round project, I think the fact that he has pretty much proved he can play, as well as the fact that his work ethic (he is right there with Josh Freeman on all the extra offseason things they do and constant studying and coaching sessions) says that he is worth no less than a 3rd. Seriously, don't you think he would be worth A LOT more than Charlie Whitehurst? How about AJ Feeley (who went for a 2nd)? I think we're looking at a pick in the 2nd-3rd round range.

On the other hand, there will be NO TRADES or FREE AGENCY unless the lockout ends or doesn't take place. Knowing that, Harbaugh may go ahead and take his QB in round 1 to ensure that he has his signal caller in place. THen on the other hand, if the lockout ends in August, who better to come in and start right away and hit the ground running than a guy like Johnson who has already played for hm and knows his terminology like the back of his hand?

49erNation85
01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
You guys are getting my hopes up now and it's making me want Stanzi to go to the Niners. Harbaugh would be a great coach for Captain America.

It is so possible man.I wouldn't mind him either on the SF team.I think he could come in day and be a starter.I just wonder about his arm strength and how far he can launch the ball accurate.He does got everything else going for him.We will see how he does at senior bowl week.I Have him and Locker possible QB options per draft then Mallet and Dalton .

Menardo75
01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
for sure. Ihas the OC been announced for the 49ers?

The front runner is Greg Roman Harbaugh's assistant HC at Stanford.

bruschis4all
01-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Really? Jimmy Johnson didn't pick Russell Maryland or Michael Irvin? ANd yeah, I remember the stinker Josh Johnson had vs Washington, it was his first professional start for a horrible team after getting little reps in training camp and spending the entire previous season and preseason as the 4th string QB. Are you just trying to prove yourself wrong?

No matter what the 49ers do, select a QB or trade for one, they will be "wasting a draft pick".

As far as "better physical talents"??? So I take it there are tons of QBs out there with adequate size (6'3 214), a good arm, great feet, outstanding speed (4.50), whose coach already knows from firsthand knowledge that he can play?

Actually, Gil Brandt drafted Michael Irvin in 88. Johnson didn't arrive on the scene until spring 89. I get your point though. And, to show you firsthand knowledge isn't all that it's cracked up to be sometimes. He did draft Steve Walsh with a supplemental first round pick that would have been the first overall pick had he kept it.