PDA

View Full Version : Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy

MikeBaltimore12
01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I haven't heard much about this guy other than looking at Scott's WR rankings. Some feedback would be great. Where is he projected, ceiling, pros/cons, etc.

Master Exploder
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I haven't heard much about this guy other than looking at Scott's WR rankings. Some feedback would be great. Where is he projected, ceiling, pros/cons, etc.

Think he'll go in the 2nd round. I see him being a great slot option, but he could probably carry more of the load if he needed to. From what I hear, he's got a pretty good character and work ethic. I have watched a decent bit of footage on him, but not enough to really evaluate what his strengths/weaknesses are, but he is what you can expect from a receiver his size. Very elusive and quick.

RealityCheck
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
One of the most underrated players in the class, should be an early 2nd rounder.

MikeBaltimore12
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the response. Simply looking at these guys on paper, who would y'all rank higher between him and titus young from Boise?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Jets at the end of the first.

A Perfect Score
01-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the response. Simply looking at these guys on paper, who would y'all rank higher between him and titus young from Boise?

Im a huge fan of Jernigan. Definitely like him more then Young. I have him ranked as a high second rounder, about where Dexter McCluster went last year. Thats about where his stock should be.

Clarkw267
01-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I like the McCluster comparison as far as draft position, and overall use as a "weapon". However I think Jernigan projects better as a pure WR. He'll be a great slot guy for a team.

RaiderNation
01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
He is going to be used like Harvin IMO. Line up at WR, RB and wildcat QB maybe

thegreatone
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I like him, but I'll still take Young over him since he has a better chance to play on the outside IMO.

TACKLE
01-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I like him, but I'll still take Young over him since he has a better chance to play on the outside IMO.

I agree that Young has a better chance on the outside but I'll still take Jernigan. I'm very confident he has the ability to be a special slot receiver who can come in and make an impact right away.

will99890
01-11-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't think people realize that slot receiver and nickle back are the 12th starters in today's NFL. 10 years ago they may have only gotten a handful of snaps a game, but now each position is absolutely vital, especially on 3rd downs. I really hope the Niners end up with him or Randall Cobb to play the slot and return kicks.

trojanbrutha
01-11-2011, 11:23 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43438

trojanbrutha
03-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Troy's Jernigan brings big impact despite lack of size (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81eeac29/article/troys-jernigan-brings-big-impact-despite-lack-of-size?module=HP_cp2)

By Steve Wyche NFL.com
Senior Writer
Published: March 23, 2011 at 08:46 p.m.
Updated: March 23, 2011 at 10:51 p.m.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/j_jernigan_110323_WIDE.jpg
Grant Halverson / US Presswire
What Troy's Jerrel Jernigan lacks in size, he makes up for with his ability to impact the game in multiple ways.

The confluence of three factors -- the rule changes on kickoffs, Julio Jones' postseason ascension and the surreal circumstances of A.J. Green's pro day -- directed me to a receiver who is regarded higher than most know and whose value as a kick returner makes him one of the more intriguing draft prospects: Troy's Jerrel Jernigan.

Jernigan, in the eyes of some NFL personnel evaluators, has quietly moved ahead of Boise State's Titus Young as the top smaller wide receiver/return man available in the draft. In fact, Jerrigan actually might not have ever been behind Young, and could very well be among the top five wide receivers off the board in April.

RealityCheck
03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
The more I see Jernigan on tape, the more I think he should be the 3rd WR taken... the guy is explosive.

rawdawg
03-25-2011, 08:57 AM
I think I like Young better than Jernigan too. Young is more versatile (can play the outside). Young looks to me to be a better, more complete route runner. Jernigan is a little faster and has better hands. Jernigan keeps getting compared to Harvin, but he's a good 2 inches shorter. Shorter than DeSean Jackson and Mike Wallace. Don't know that he's a fit in every offense in the NFL. That being said, I do like Jernigan and think he has a place in the NFL. But I think his upside is a really good 3rd WR, unlike the other 3 mentioned in this post who are close to being legit #1s.

Is there any concern about the dropoff in Jernigan's YPC as a senior? He went from 15.5 ypc to under 10. He's not a redzone option at all.

trojanbrutha
03-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I think I like Young better than Jernigan too. Young is more versatile (can play the outside). Young looks to me to be a better, more complete route runner. Jernigan is a little faster and has better hands. Jernigan keeps getting compared to Harvin, but he's a good 2 inches shorter. Shorter than DeSean Jackson and Mike Wallace. Don't know that he's a fit in every offense in the NFL. That being said, I do like Jernigan and think he has a place in the NFL. But I think his upside is a really good 3rd WR, unlike the other 3 mentioned in this post who are close to being legit #1s.

Is there any concern about the dropoff in Jernigan's YPC as a senior? He went from 15.5 ypc to under 10. He's not a redzone option at all.

That is one of the reasons I like Gill and Jason Bruce. When teams did a good job of scheming for Jernigan, those guys produced. The staff used Jerrel as a decoy quite a bit last season...

bergo23
03-25-2011, 10:07 AM
His time was disappointing no? He looks INCREDIBLY quick and fast, but his long speed may not translate to a deep threat in the passing game.

trojanbrutha
03-25-2011, 12:23 PM
His time was disappointing no? He looks INCREDIBLY quick and fast, but his long speed may not translate to a deep threat in the passing game.

No doubt his combine time was slow, but the reports from TROY's pro day sounded more like the times he's been known for.