PDA

View Full Version : Two rounder w/ analysis for Round One

MI_Buckeye
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
First mock ever posted. FYI, my quote/apostrophe button does not work so that might explain some of the technical errors/awkward sentences. This whole thing was done without taking into mind any potential FA siginings or the CBA.

1. Carolina DaQuan Bowers, Clemson DE]
After being left at the alter, the Panthers have one of the most difficult, unpleasant decisions to make in the history on the No. 1 pick. In the end, I think they go the safe route and upgrade their infrastructure with Bowers or Fairley instead of their skill with Green or Peterson. In the end, I think they will go with Bowers because of the higher value placed on elite pass rushers, as opposed to elite one-gap penetrators. This pick is highly contingent on what type of defensive scheme new head coach Ron Rivera will choose to run.
2. Denver Patrick Peterson, LSU CB
Tricky pick here as Denver needs help everywhere on defense. Once again, scheme will be critical to this selection, as there are a boatload of Pick-a-flavor d linemen available. However, Peterson figures to rise through the workout process, and I think he might end up as the No. 1 overall prospect on most boards. Denver needs an eventual replacement for Champ Bailey, who is clearly fading.
3. Buffalo Marcell Dareus, Alabama DE
I am taking Scotts word here that the Bills are not interested in drafting a quarterback in the first round. With that bit of information, this is one of the easier picks to project in the top ten, because Buffalo is in dire need of help for their three-man front. Alabama is one of the few college programs to run a base 3-4, and Dareus has been a stud in that front for two years now. Dareus also projects as an elite pass-rushing tackle in a Tampa 2.
4. Cincinnati A.J. Green, Georgia WR
With TO and Ocho likely gone, Cincy is left with Jerome Simpson, Andre Caldwell and Jordan Shipley as their top receivers. If the Bengals plan on succeeding with Carson Palmer under center, they need to get him a top flight target. The only things keeping Green from a Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson type grade are elite speed and a skinny frame.
5. Arizona Cam Newton, Auburn QB
I donít believe Ken Whisenhunt wants to draft a quarterback, and I figure Arizona to be very active in quarterback free agency. But as it stands right now, the Cards have the worst quarterback situation in the league, and if they are unable to land a competent signal caller in free agency, they will be forced to take one in the draft. Newtons outrageous athleticism and big arm will have the Cards staff and front office thinking Big Ben. Unfortunately, that analogy might be more fitting than they would like, but they will be willing to take the chance.
6. Cleveland Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB
After investing heavily in the secondary last year, the work is still not done. Eric Wright is clearly not the answer opposite Joe Haden, and the big, tough Amukamara (probably the best pure cover corner in the draft) should fill out a frighteningly good young corner tandem.
7. San Francisco Blaine Gabbert, Missouri QB
Jim Harbaugh is a big-time coach with a big-time coachs ego who will not be content going to battle without his guy at QB. I think he will find too much he doesnít like about Locker and Mallett and just enough upside in Gabbert to see him as an improvement over the Smiths.
8. Tennessee Nick Fairley, Auburn DT
Talk about great value, Fairley could very easily go No. 1, but would be a great fit in the Titans system. The Titans havenít been the same on defense since Albert Haynesworth cashed in, and Fairley is the same type of player. IMO, it would be an awful shame if Fairley got snapped up by a 3-4 team.
9. Dallas Robert Quinn, North Carolina OLB
This would make the second year in a row the Boys took a player declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA. However, Quinn probably wont have the same character questions Dez Bryant had a season ago. Quinns athleticism makes him a premier conversion prospect, and IMO, without all the NCAA stuff, he would be the runaway favorite to go No. 1 overall.
10. Washington Julio Jones, Alabama WR
The Redskins need help in a lot of places, especially quarterback. However, there are enough red flags with Mallett and Locker to prevent Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan from naming either one the savior of the franchise. Instead, they opt to provide a game-breaking receiving threat for whoever is quarterbacking the Skins next season. Jones really boosted his stock with a phenomenal junior season, and will no doubt, IMO, pass Justin Blackmon in the workout process.
11. Houston Akeem Ayers, UCLA OLB
The Texans would prefer to draft someone in the secondary, but with nobody of value to pick from, they go with the best 4-3 OLB in the draft as an upgrade to Zac Diles. I think Ayers is one of the best players in the draft, but he could slide much further than this, because he does not play a highly valued position.
12. Minnesota Ryan Mallett, Arkansas QB
I donít really like putting Mallett in the first round, but I just can not imagine Rick Spielman is comfortable moving forward with Joe Webb as his No. 1 QB. Mallett has the biggest arm I have ever seen in college, including JaMarcus Russell, but he also has Russell-sized question marks about his character. Without a ton of pressing needs, I think Spielman shoots for the moon at No. 12.
13. Detroit Mark Ingram, Alabama RB
Perhaps, a surprising pick here, but as I have noted in another thread, the Lions have one of the more interesting picks in the draft. Since the front office and coaching staff seem to be confusing Jeff Backus for Anothony Munoz, and there is nobody of value left to fix their holes at LB or CB, Mayhew takes the hometown kid (sort of) to fix a woebegone running game. In theory, Ingram and Best complement each other perfectly and would give the Lions some of the best skill position talent in the league.
14. St. Louis Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St. WR
As good as Sam Bradford has been in his rookie season, he needs a No. 1 target. Even if Mark Clayton comes back healthy, I donít think he is that guy. Blackmon may be the product of a system that seems to turn out receivers with big numbers every year, but somebody is still going to take him in the top 20, it might as well be a team desperate at WR.
15. Miami Von Miller, Texas A&M OLB
A great pass rusher like Cameron Wake could always use a good running mate. Miller has been up-and-down through his college career, but when he has been good, he has been fantastic. IMO, Miller can only play in a 3-4 and only as a rush backer.
16. Jacksonville Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE
The Jags definitely need an end to play opposite Kampman, and that could be Kerrigan, who has an outside chance to go top ten. Kerrigan is almost a clone of Kampman with a relentless motor and great pass rushing technique. Like Kampman, Kerrigan is adept at playing the run as well as rushing the passer.
17. New England Cameron Heyward, Ohio State DE
With the pick received in the trade for Richard Seymour, the Pats get the next Richard Seymour. Heyward has the length the Pats normally like out of their ends, and after a dominant Sugar Bowl, Heywards stock is clearly on the rise. Heyward has been spotty in four years as a starter for the Buckeyes, but he is a hand-in-glove fit for the Pats.
18. San Diego Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT
I believe the Chargers are content with Marcus McNeil at left tackle, but they desperately need upgrades elsewhere on the line. Carimi becomes the top tackle drafted, because he is the best run blocker in the draft. I donít see the Chargers passing on the O line with their first pick.
19. Giants Travis Lewis, Oklahoma OLB
Lewis doesnít fit the Giants prototype for big, athletic defenders, but he does fit their biggest need on defense. Lewis is quick and instinctive and fits best as a 4-3 weakside backer.
20. Tampa Bay JJ Watt, Wisconsin DE
The Bucs continue to build their front four with one of the best potential left ends in the draft. Watt racked up a lot of sacks this season, but his value is in his all-around ability. Watt would provide a lot of versatility in Tampas D, possibly kicking inside on passing downs.
21. Kansas City Aldon Smith, Missouri OLB
The Chiefs made it to the playoffs with smoke and mirrors, and if they want to become a legitimate playoff team, they need a pass rusher opposite Tamba Hali. Smith is this years Jason Pierre-Paul, only he has two years of production to accompany his otherworldly athleticism. Give Smith limited responsibility in coverage, and he will excel at getting to the quarterback.
22. Indianapolis Derek Sherrod, Mississippi St. OT
Charlie Johnson is not the answer long-term at left tackle, and the Colts need to bring in somebody to at least give Johnson competition. Sherrod is one of my favorite players in the draft, but before all is said and done, I wouldnít be surprised if he got tagged with the dreaded overachiever label. Ha comes out of a run-based spread system, so the transition to Indys high-octane offense would be steep.
23. Philadelphia Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT
Clay Matthews might have cost Winston Justice his job this weekend. If not, the Eagles still need help on the O line. Castonzo is one of the smartest players in the draft, and Andy Reid is going to love his Northeast no-nonsense approach to the game. Castonzo can even be the replacement for Jason Peters once the Eagles get tired of Jason Peters being all Jason Petersy.
24. New Orleans Corey Liuget, Illinois DT
Wanted: a real, living breathing tackle to play opposite Sedrick Ellis so he can finally be the all-pro he was drafted in the top ten to be. Liuget burst onto the scene this season, and if he declares, he should become a legitimate first round pick with the ability to play the one, allowing Ellis to do his thing on the other side.
25. Seattle Stephen Paea, Oregon State DT
Pete Carroll sticks with what he knows and takes probably the strongest player in the draft. The Seachickens have needed help inside for as long as I can remember, and Paea had some of his best games against Carroll as a sophomore and a junior.
26. Green Bay Brandon Harris, Miami CB
The third corner finally emerges as Ted Thompson does what Ted Thompson likes to do; spend early picks on guys meant to serve apprenticeships under aging stars. Harris has a lot of upside and will probably go earlier than this, but if not, Thompson will love to take the long-term replacement to Charles Woodson.
27. Jets Cameron Jordan, Cal DE
Jordan is one of those high-floor, low-ceiling guys who can fit into a variety of schemes and just gets the job done. The Jets need one of these guys after just missing out on Jared Odrick last season.
28. Baltimore Rahim Moore, UCLA S
The Ravens have very few areas of concern, so why not take a guy to replace a legend when he decides to move on. Moore is a ball-hawking safety who is also fluid enough to kick inside and play the nickel. What better mentor for an Ed Reed-type player than Ed Reed.
29. Chicago Nate Solder, Colorado OT
The Bears desperate need for pass protection unfortunately causes them to reach for one of the biggest projects in the draft. There is no way Solder is ready to face NFL edge rushers, but his size, athleticism and lack of back injuries (I am looking at you Chris Williams) will fool the Bears into thinking he can be as good as Jared Veldheer was for the Raiders this year.
30. Pittsburgh Mike Pouncey, Florida OG
The Pounceys get to make out on draft night once again as they are reunited to strengthen one of the worst lines in the league. All this would make for a perfect storybook, except I donít think this Pouncey is worth a first round pick. He is not a bad player, but I like Marcus Cannon better, and he might be had in the second round. Watch out for Ben Ijelana too. I have not seen him play one down yet, but if he shows well at the Senior Bowl, he enters the first round discussion.
31. Atlanta Jimmy Smith, Colorado CB
Smith might seem like a reach, but Thomas Dimitroff likes smart, rangy, technically sound players, and I think Smith fits that mold better than the remaining corners on the board. Corner is Atlantas top need IMO, and they might take more than one in the first few rounds.
32. New England Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State C
The Pats are at their best when they are taking linemen early in the draft. Wisniewski is the consummate Patriot, smart, versatile, tough with NFL lineage. I donít expect the Pats to keep this pick though, especially since Wisniewski is not great value in the first round and probably could be had later.

33. New England Justin Houston, Georgia OLB
34. Buffalo Jon Baldwin, Pitt WR
35. Cincinnati Ben Ijelana, Villanova OT
36. Denver Allen Bailey, Miami DE
37. Cleveland Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina ILB
38. Arizona DeMarcus Love, Arkansas OT
39. Tennessee Jake Locker, Washington QB
40. Dallas Aaron Williams, Texas CB
41. Washington Jabal Sheard, Pitt OLB
42. Houston Kenny Tate, Maryland S
43. Minnesota Marvin Austin, North Carolina DT
44. Detroit Brandon Burton, Utah CB
45. San Francisco Sione Fua, Stanford DT
46. Denver Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma OLB
47. St. Louis Ras-I Dowling, Virginia CB
48. Oakland Marcus Cannon, TCU OG
49. Jacksonville Bruce Carter, North Carolina OLB
50. San Diego Jerel Jernigan, Troy WR
51. Tampa Bay Chimdi Chekwa, Ohio State CB
52. Giants Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE
53. Indianapolis Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma WR
54. Philadelphia Alex Linnenkohl, Oregon St. C
55. Kansas City Michael Floyd, Notre Dame WR
56. New Orleans Leonard Hankerson, Miami WR
57. Seattle Pat Devlin, Delaware QB
58. Green Bay Mikel Leshoure, Illinois RB
59. San Diego Kenrick Ellis, Hampton DT
60. Baltimore Rodney Hudson, Florida State OG
61. Chicago Jurrell Casey, USC DT
62. Pittsburgh Deunta Williams, North Carolina S
63. Atlanta Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame TE
64. New England Pernell McPhee, Mississippi St. DE

scar988
01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
31. Atlanta Jimmy Smith, Colorado CB
Smith might seem like a reach, but Thomas Dimitroff likes smart, rangy, technically sound players, and I think Smith fits that mold better than the remaining corners on the board. Corner is Atlantas top need IMO, and they might take more than one in the first few rounds.
AWFUL pick. Atlanta's top need? Atlanta has ZERO need for a CB with Robinson and Grimes playing like pro bowlers. What is wrong with people thinking we need CB's? We have no need for 1 let alone a first rounder. I doubt you have even seen a Falcons game this year.

good 2nd rounder though. ATL's actual need is WR, TE, OT, DE and COP RB.

jCut
01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Pretty good Denver draft, but the idea of passing on Fairley makes me sick to my stomach. He is the best defensive player in the draft.

Brown Leader
01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Arizona already has a QB that compares well to Big Ben-Skelton.

Prince and Quan? for the Browns? I dig it. Good reasoning but now with Mangini out I'm not sure Holmgren takes another top 10 CB-but it would be nice.

diabsoule
01-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Just for future reference: New Orleans does not at all need a WR. We are stacked at that position.

We need both OLB, DE, DT, and SS.

thebow305
01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Not a good Phins pick at all, and even worse reasoning. We already drafted Koa Misi in the 2nd round last year to bookend Cam Wake. We do need a QB though, so Jake Locker at 15 makes much more sense.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Correct on the TD prototype, but we don't need a corner. The high passing yardage allowed is due to our defense in which you can dink and dunk but not get the big play. Not to mention we could shore up our pass rush.

MI_Buckeye
01-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Not a good Phins pick at all, and even worse reasoning. We already drafted Koa Misi in the 2nd round last year to bookend Cam Wake. We do need a QB though, so Jake Locker at 15 makes much more sense.

I guess you are right. Not to make an excuse or anything, but I thought Misi might end up playing inside. Just to let you know, I probably will not be mocking Jake Locker in the first round the entire draft process.

prock
01-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Mallet is awesome.

Marvin Austin is a ******* terrible pick.

T-RICH49
01-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I am loving KC's draft

luckyjackaubrey
01-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Nice Mock! I love the Heyward and Houston selections for the Pats. How about this for a scenario: Pats trade the #32 and #64 to move up with KC. That gives NE the choice of all those OTs left on the board. You don't have anyone taking a DE/OLB between the KC pick and where they would be picking so they still get Smith and pick up the extra second rounder. I think the Pats are in a position where they can afford to move a pick to get either of those quality tackles. I would take either Sherrod or Solder myself.

Why the second big DE with number #64 pick? Doesn't Heyward fill that need in round 1?

Really nice mock, enjoyed the read.

TitanHope
01-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Fairley and Locker? I'd run around my neighborhood naked and film it if that happens. Dream scenario for the Titans.

CashmoneyDrew
01-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Damn good Titans mock. It would be tough to pass on Marcus Cannon in the second round, though.

bullg8rdaddy
01-11-2011, 11:39 PM
1st rounder is not that bad, but I think we can get a similar (4-3 LE or 3-4 DE type) later. In this mock, Aldon is the pick for me.

Terrible 2nd rounder, IMO. Deunta or Pernell would be better.

Rosebud
01-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Hate seeing the Giants pass on Sherrod. We could use a dominant LB but I just don't see it with lewis. Sherrod would give us a beast RT if Beatty ends up beating him out for the LT spot.

Not Really a fan of Clayborn for us given how deep we are at DE and how much we could still use a DT, CB, S, C, RB, TE and LB.

MI_Buckeye
01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Nice Mock! I love the Heyward and Houston selections for the Pats. How about this for a scenario: Pats trade the #32 and #64 to move up with KC. That gives NE the choice of all those OTs left on the board. You don't have anyone taking a DE/OLB between the KC pick and where they would be picking so they still get Smith and pick up the extra second rounder. I think the Pats are in a position where they can afford to move a pick to get either of those quality tackles. I would take either Sherrod or Solder myself.

Why the second big DE with number #64 pick? Doesn't Heyward fill that need in round 1?

Really nice mock, enjoyed the read.

Thank you for the kind words!

IN regards to the Pats trading up, it could happen, but it doesnt really fit their MO. Plus, I am sure they are going to be happy with Vollmer eventually at LT, and they can probably select a RT to fill that need later in the draft. How long will Light be around?

I gave them McPhee for depth. A lot of 3-4 teams like to use rotations, so it is imperative to have at least three good guys to play the five technique.

MI_Buckeye
01-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Hate seeing the Giants pass on Sherrod. We could use a dominant LB but I just don't see it with lewis. Sherrod would give us a beast RT if Beatty ends up beating him out for the LT spot.

Not Really a fan of Clayborn for us given how deep we are at DE and how much we could still use a DT, CB, S, C, RB, TE and LB.

I contemplated mocking Sherrod here, but OL in the first round does not seem like Jerry Reeses thing. Clayborn is just too good of value in the 50s, plus Reese likes to stockpile D linemen.

DiG
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Julio is a pretty good pick for the skins in the first round. Jabal Sheard is somewhat surprising pick for us in the second round but not a bad one.

MI_Buckeye
01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Mallet is awesome.

Marvin Austin is a ******* terrible pick.

I just realized I didnt put Drake Nevis in at all. Just put Nevis in for Austin and call it good.

vidae
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Great KC picks, especially Floyd in the second.

gpngc
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Wrong thread. sorry.

Xiomera
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
13. Detroit Mark Ingram, Alabama RB
Perhaps, a surprising pick here, but as I have noted in another thread, the Lions have one of the more interesting picks in the draft. Since the front office and coaching staff seem to be confusing Jeff Backus for Anothony Munoz, and there is nobody of value left to fix their holes at LB or CB, Mayhew takes the hometown kid (sort of) to fix a woebegone running game. In theory, Ingram and Best complement each other perfectly and would give the Lions some of the best skill position talent in the league.

This is a horrific pick. And your belief that Backus sucks is absurd. Clearly you didn't pay any attention this season.

MI_Buckeye
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
This is a horrific pick. And your belief that Backus sucks is absurd. Clearly you didn't pay any attention this season.

I never said Backus sucks. I only feel that he will need to be replaced in the next couple of years. He played well this year, but I do not feel confident he will continue to play at that level for a long time. Even if you think Backus is great, the Leos need another guy at RT.

Also, I know Ingram is a wild pick, but in the 2009 draft, Mayhew seemed to ignore positional value for guys he thought were the best players on the board (Pettigrew, Delmas and Levy). I dont know if the Lions will take Ingram, but it would make sense to have a guy in the backfield on first and second down who can run out of the I formation. They dont have a guy that can do that effectively now.

Xiomera
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
I never said Backus sucks. I only feel that he will need to be replaced in the next couple of years. He played well this year, but I do not feel confident he will continue to play at that level for a long time. Even if you think Backus is great, the Leos need another guy at RT.

Also, I know Ingram is a wild pick, but in the 2009 draft, Mayhew seemed to ignore positional value for guys he thought were the best players on the board (Pettigrew, Delmas and Levy). I dont know if the Lions will take Ingram, but it would make sense to have a guy in the backfield on first and second down who can run out of the I formation. They dont have a guy that can do that effectively now.

I guess we have a very different opinion of Ingram's value then. I don't think he's the best available in the mock you've created.

49erNation85
01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Hm just wow ! Ugly 49ers draft there if we draft a DT and Nick Farily falls to , hell no i don't wanna pass him up ,the guy is a freaking monster .I"d love him on our 4-3 change.Then take QB like Locker in the second.That is just um yea wow draft there.

MI_Buckeye
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Hm just wow ! Ugly 49ers draft there if we draft a DT and Nick Farily falls to , hell no i don't wanna pass him up ,the guy is a freaking monster .I"d love him on our 4-3 change.Then take QB like Locker in the second.That is just um yea wow draft there.

Keep in mind, I am projecting guys based mostly on the offensive and defensive schemes run this past season. It is far from perfect, but it makes projecting the whole draft much easier.

If the Niners keep a 3-4, I dont think they are touching Fairley in the top ten. If they change to a 4-3, Balke and Harbaugh are going to have one tough decision to make. Potential franchise QB for a team that has none or a stud defensive tackle?

49erNation85
01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Keep in mind, I am projecting guys based mostly on the offensive and defensive schemes run this past season. It is far from perfect, but it makes projecting the whole draft much easier.

If the Niners keep a 3-4, I dont think they are touching Fairley in the top ten. If they change to a 4-3, Balke and Harbaugh are going to have one tough decision to make. Potential franchise QB for a team that has none or a stud defensive tackle?

So true and understand your logic .But Gabbert? besides his size why is he a first round pick at ? We already think SF is changing to a 4-3 .

Poz51
01-13-2011, 08:04 AM
3. Buffalo Marcell Dareus, Alabama DE
I am taking Scotts word here that the Bills are not interested in drafting a quarterback in the first round.
5. Cam Newton, Auburn QB
8. Tennessee Nick Fairley, Auburn DT
34. Buffalo Jon Baldwin, Pitt WR
35. Ben Ijelana, Villanova OT
38. DeMarcus Love OT
39. Jake Locker QB
48. Marcus Cannon OG
63. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame TE

Personnally I think Fairley is a better all around prospect than Dareus, all things considered, and would think he would be the pick over Dareus, who is a good prospect as well... If the Bills are not interested in a first round QB, than Locker in the second would make alot of sense, much more so than Baldwin, who would join a stacked recieving core. Ijelana, Love, Cannon would all be upgrades at RT for the Bills, and Rudolph at TE would open up the offense even more, our TE's had 23 catches this year and 1 TD, that is pathetic... IMO Fairley and Rudolph/Locker/RT is a much better draft, even Dareus and Rudolph/Locker/RT would be better, Baldwin just does not make alot of sense for a team who's WR core is deep.
Also, T. Lewis, Justin Blackmon, R. Boyles and M. Floyd have all decided to stay in school(http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70664&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB, http://newsok.com/ous-ryan-broyles-will-return-in-2011/article/3530025#, http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/news/story?id=6014722, http://www.ocolly.com/justin-blackmon-and-brandon-weeden-return-for-2011-season-1.1839856), although the Blackmon news broke after you posted the mock.

RealityCheck
01-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Good Pats mock, even though I think McPhee is kind of a reach.

MI_Buckeye
01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Personnally I think Fairley is a better all around prospect than Dareus, all things considered, and would think he would be the pick over Dareus, who is a good prospect as well... If the Bills are not interested in a first round QB, than Locker in the second would make alot of sense, much more so than Baldwin, who would join a stacked recieving core. Ijelana, Love, Cannon would all be upgrades at RT for the Bills, and Rudolph at TE would open up the offense even more, our TE's had 23 catches this year and 1 TD, that is pathetic... IMO Fairley and Rudolph/Locker/RT is a much better draft, even Dareus and Rudolph/Locker/RT would be better, Baldwin just does not make alot of sense for a team who's WR core is deep.
Also, T. Lewis, Justin Blackmon, R. Boyles and M. Floyd have all decided to stay in school(http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70664&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB, http://newsok.com/ous-ryan-broyles-will-return-in-2011/article/3530025#, http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/news/story?id=6014722, http://www.ocolly.com/justin-blackmon-and-brandon-weeden-return-for-2011-season-1.1839856), although the Blackmon news broke after you posted the mock.

Always appreciate the input from fans who know their team better than I do. In defense of my selections, Dareus is a pure scheme fit over Fairley, who probably will be rated ahead of Dareus on most boards. As for your WR core, I have to respectfully disagree. Lee Evans, your No. 2, had only 37 catches in 13 games. Even if Evans returns to form in 2011, Baldwin presents a better deep ball and redzone threat than anybody on the roster.

All the players that have since decided to stay in school had not yet announced their decisions when I made the mock. I personally am stunned by Blackmons decision, and I even think Lewis is an idiot for coming back. Those guys are not going to raise their draft stock.

Arsenal
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I think it's an alright San Francisco mock. The quarterbacks are just personal preference at this point so whichever one is good there whether its Gabbert, Locker, or whoever.

Vic Fangio is likely to be the 49ers DC and he runs a 3-4 at Stanford so I doubt he changes. Fua would only be a need if Franklin walks and I would say cornerback or rush linebacker be bigger needs.

Go_Eagles77
01-13-2011, 10:16 PM
23. Philadelphia Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT
Clay Matthews might have cost Winston Justice his job this weekend. If not, the Eagles still need help on the O line. Castonzo is one of the smartest players in the draft, and Andy Reid is going to love his Northeast no-nonsense approach to the game. Castonzo can even be the replacement for Jason Peters once the Eagles get tired of Jason Peters being all Jason Petersy.
Peters was one of, if not the best OT in the NFC this year. I still like the pick as a replacement for Justice though.

MI_Buckeye
01-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Peters was one of, if not the best OT in the NFC this year. I still like the pick as a replacement for Justice though.

Still, Peters was traded from Buffalo for a reason. The guy, according to many, can be a world-class headache. He is greatly talented though.

Poz51
01-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Always appreciate the input from fans who know their team better than I do. In defense of my selections, Dareus is a pure scheme fit over Fairley, who probably will be rated ahead of Dareus on most boards. As for your WR core, I have to respectfully disagree. Lee Evans, your No. 2, had only 37 catches in 13 games. Even if Evans returns to form in 2011, Baldwin presents a better deep ball and redzone threat than anybody on the roster.

All the players that have since decided to stay in school had not yet announced their decisions when I made the mock. I personally am stunned by Blackmons decision, and I even think Lewis is an idiot for coming back. Those guys are not going to raise their draft stock.

Dareus does have the schematic advantage with his knowledge of a 3-4 defense already, keep in mind that Gailey has stated that they will continue to use a hybrid defense next year, which is why I think Fairley is the better overall prospect for this team. Having said that I would gladly accept the services of either man for this team, and if Rivera sticks with the 4-3, and Fox switches back to 4-3 in Denver, I expect Fairley to be one of the top two picks, so it could very well be mute point... Honestly I would be happy with either, just prefer Fairley at this point personally.
For the recievers I see your point, just do not agree with it as a whole. Evans is interesting, remember this, S. Johnson and Fitz have worked together extensively on the second unit, scout team, and so on. They had a natural connection/comfort level before the season, which carried into the season. Fitz is not a accurate deep ball thrower, and he and Evans had little or no time to acclimate to each other this year. Fitz threw several deep balls well short or to deep, his strength is mid range throws, where he has a chance to wind up and let it rip. Evans was still doubled over the top through his 13 games constantly, with a DB focused underneath, which let Fitz spread it around, particularly to Johnson who although he led the team in receptions, was actually the #2 reciever on the team, and when Evans was out, Johnson's receptions per game did go up by .2, but yards per catch went down and touchdowns per game fell from .6 to .3. Most of Johnson's catches during the last three games came when the game was well over, and the Jets and Pats were playing off coverage. Baldwin IMO is not a better deep threat, just bigger, and I have alot of questions about him at this point. I can see the red zone threat, but David Nelson was decent and developing in that regard. They have Easley coming back from injury, Parrish was having a great year until he got hurt, Evans should be back next year, Johnson had a break out season, Nelson made plays, and Jones and Roosevelt showed they have potential, Baldwin IMO crowds things up in the recieving core, which even without Evans is deep, and with the other holes on this team I do not think helps the team truely get better overall. The only reciever I could see them taking in this draft at all is Green, who is a far better route runner than Baldwin, gets seperation, and I think a legit top 5 talent, but with the progress made by the recieving core in general I do not think they will take a reciever at all this year.
I can understand the players declaring (or not)when making it, I just wanted to let you know that many of them decided to return so you knew, hopefully I was not too abrasive, that was not my intention. I was not too high on Lewis, and agree his stock will not get much higher by returning, but I think the guys at Oklahoma want a shot at a National Championship, so they are returning. I could not agree more with Blackmon, stunned for sure, I had him as the second best reciever in the class and a possible top ten pick, top 16 for sure (I think I had him going to Cleveland at 13 in my last mock).
I can take Dareus, but I just think in the 2nd round there are bigger holes to fill than another reciever when it is one of the few strengths on the team. TE is a desprite need, RT is a big one too, and a potential franchise QB in the second will be hard to pass on. Appreciate the conversation, hopefully this further explains my point of view...

Matthew Jones
01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
I like all of the Patriots picks but I don't know if Pernell McPhee would fit in as a five-technique, I almost feel like he'd be an outside linebacker in New England. I'd dig the draft though.