PDA

View Full Version : 6 Prospects Who Are Underrated As Of 1/11/2011

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
In no real order:

1) Phil Taylor - NT - Baylor

Taylor is a legit anchor at NT for any 3-4 defense. Players with his size are often overvalued, but at 6'4.5 340lbs, Taylor is quite the talent. He does have some character concerns (he was booted from Penn State for numerous run ins), but he is going to go higher than most people think. If this class wasn't so deep on the DL I think he would have a shot at the top 20. Assuming he handles himself reasonably well in interviews - I think he has an outside shot at the tail end of the first round and if not one of the 3-4 teams picking early in round 2 will steal him. Denver is atrocious up the middle and makes a lot of sense.

2) Corey Liuget - DT - Illinois

I can't help but laugh at the people who believe this guy is a mid-late 2nd or 3rd round pick. Just no. Athletes like this at the DT position are extremely rare. I've been quoted as saying this many times, but this is a kid who was returning kickoffs in high school at 270 lbs to put his athleticism in perspective. Do not scuff at the fact he went to Illinois. He had offers from everywhere and chose Illinois over Miami & LSU, due to his mother wanting him out of the Miami area. Liuget is scheme diverse and could be an impact DT in a 4-3 or as a DE in a 3-4. He had a rough sophomore season due to injuries, but got back into complete shape this season and he has some dominating tape out there. Scouts will love him - while draftniks will be luke warm on him. He is without a doubt a first rounder and is going to go much higher than people assume. Reminiscent of Tyson Alualu of last year. KC in the early 20s or probably higher.

3) Marcus Gilbert - OT - Florida

There is an OT like this every year. Prototype size, athleticism, fits at LT, RT, or inside at guard, but doesn't have much hype surrounding them. I believe Gilbert is a plug-n-play from day one for the team that drafts him. Gilbert has played against top flight competition for two seasons @ Florida. Pouncey continues to get hyped, because of his brother, but Gilbert is the best player in this draft on that Florida offensive line. I think he is the Rodger Saffold of this draft. He will continue to be overlooked and won't go in the first round, but wherever he lands in the 2nd round will become an instant starter.

4) Ras-I Dowling - CB - Virginia

I really liked Dowling last year and thought there was a good chance he would come out and be a 2nd rounder. He decided to come back which you can't really knock, but unfortunately, had an injury plagued season. Dowling was a first round pick to start the season and I still think he goes in the first round this year. The CB/S class is weak after the trio of Peterson/Prince/Smith go off the board. Jimmy Smith out of Colorado is another guy I am surprised is not getting the hype he deserves. Jenkins deciding to return to Florida also just improved his stock. Anyways, Dowling is a great tackler from the CB spot which is becoming more and more valued around the league. He reminds me a bit of a bigger Brandon Flowers. I think he goes in the first round assuming he runs decently and is healthy. Baltimore at the tail end of the first makes a ton of sense to me.

5) Justin Houston - OLB - Georgia

I just noticed today that he had officially declared and was pretty psyched. This guy is an absolute STUD and is going to be a terror for any 3-4 at OLB. Next years LBing core is ridiculous stacked with Burfict (who I am in love with -- save that for another day), Teo, etc. so it makes sense he is coming out when there is not a lot of great DE/OLB prospects in this pool. I feel Von Miller will be badly overdrafted for this reason. Houston comes from a big name school and has big time production. He is a great prospect. It would not surprise me at all to see him go in the first round. A good fit for him may be in Houston early in round 2 now that they are switching to the 3-4. I am still surprised by the lack of buzz around his name. I assume that will change pretty quickly.

6) Tyron Smith - OT - USC

This guy is a unicorn, man. He is the Vernon Davis of OT prospects. Or if you really want to be ruthless - the 2011 version of Tony Mandarich. I still can't get over the fact people are sleeping on this kid. He is a legit LT prospect with his size and feet. His athleticism is pretty much unmatched. I see many people are hammering him about the lack of weight. It's a legit concern right now, but keep in mind he is an extremely young prospect. His birth certificate says 12/12/1990. He is going to add weight over the next few months and will be able to stick at left tackle in the NFL. I remember a few years ago, many were knocking D'Brick for his lack of weight and he silenced them by adding weight and now of course is a pro bowl LT. I am not saying Smith is as good of a prospect as Brick, but if you consider the value of where you will be able to land him, he's one of the best bangs for your buck in the first round. Indy in round 1 seems like the absolute lowest he could go -- maybe Chicago if they are lucky who could start him day one.

Other guys I also really like who will go higher than most think:

Jerrel Jernigan - WR - Troy
Ryan Williams - RB - V-Tech
Aaron Williams - CB - Texas
Jabaal Sheard - DE/OLB - Pittsburgh
Ahmad Black - DB - Florida
Jarvis Jenkins - DT - Clemson
Ben Ijalana - OG - Nova
Nate Irving - LB - NC State
Dontay Moch - LB - Nevada

among others..

RaiderNation
01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Jerrel Jernigan will probably end up being the most impactfull rookie from the 2nd round. Teams need a guy who can do it all and he will make a impact early. Atlanta is his best landing spot IMO

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
I think Jernigan could end up with the Jets at the end of round one. I like the Atlanta fit.

Oh, and people are going to hammer me for this one, but I think Robert Sands / S / West Virginia has a real good shot at going in the first round.

holt_bruce81
01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Jeff Maehl impressed me last night. I haven't seen much of him though, but everytime I do I hear he's "sneaky fast"

shylo3716
01-11-2011, 10:05 PM
A lot of people on here are going to disagree about Dowling but I like him.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
One guy who keeps impressing me is Jimmy Smith. Every time I see him I like him more and more as a prospect. Great size, plays the ball, and simply shuts receivers down. I might sound crazy, but he reminds me of Nnamdi Asomugha at times. Don't know if people will agree with me, but I think he'll go higher than expected come Draft Day, somewhere around early-mid 20's.

I compiled the stats from these three different clips, and they are pretty darn good:

14 Times Targeted
2 Completions Allowed
14 Yards Given Up
0 TDs Allowed
1 Interception
2 TDs stopped

Db4x3KRlZEc

4vY06HXzEb0

2rzaqPIyPtg

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
One guy who keeps impressing me is Jimmy Smith.

Every time I see him I like him more and more as a prospect.

Great size, plays the ball, and simply shuts receivers down.

I might sound crazy, but he reminds me of Nnamdi Asomugha at times.

I compiled the stats from these three different clips, and they are pretty good:

14 Times Targeted
2 Completions Allowed
14 Yards Given Up
0 TDs Allowed
1 Interception
2 TDs stopped

Db4x3KRlZEc

4vY06HXzEb0

2rzaqPIyPtg

He will go to the Lions in the first round or Jacksonville at 16.

shylo3716
01-11-2011, 10:09 PM
My fav that should be in the Top 6 is Tyrod Taylor he is my fav prospect this year.

holt_bruce81
01-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I love me some Jimmy Smith, I don't think the dude is being underrated though. He's a 1st-2nd round guy.

holt_bruce81
01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
My fav that should be in the Top 6 is Tyrod Taylor he is my fav prospect this year.

Not a huge fan, I don't see him being a successful Quarterback at the next level.

JaxJag_1
01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Andy Dalton is severely underrated. He's the best QB in this class.

derza222
01-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I think Jernigan could end up with the Jets at the end of round one. I like the Atlanta fit.

Oh, and people are going to hammer me for this one, but I think Robert Sands / S / West Virginia has a real good shot at going in the first round.

Why Jernigan to the Jets specifically?

PTPaQ
01-12-2011, 12:05 AM
One underrated guy from each position:

RB - Kendall Hunter

WR - Edmund Gates

TE - Lance Kendricks

OL - Clint Boling

DL - JJ Watt

LB - Kenny Wright

DB - Korey Lindsey

SickwithIt1010
01-12-2011, 12:18 AM

hahaha what?

Caulibflower
01-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Jeff Maehl impressed me last night. I haven't seen much of him though, but everytime I do I hear he's "sneaky fast"

And slow when you're watching him.

Caulibflower
01-12-2011, 01:38 AM
One underrated guy from each position:

RB - Kendall Hunter

WR - Edmund Gates

TE - Lance Kendricks

OL - Clint Boling

DL - JJ Watt

LB - Kenny Wright

DB - Korey Lindsey

Lance Kendricks is a guy you're going to hear more and more about as the draft gets closer.

ellsy82
01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
DL: JJ Watt.

S: Rahim Moore.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-12-2011, 01:53 AM
DL: JJ Watt.

S: Rahim Moore.

I don't think Watt is underrated anymore, I'm constantly seeing him in the first round (mid-late) nowadays.

ellsy82
01-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Very well. Then I'll rate. Derek Sherrod as underrated. As well as Tyler Sash, if he declares.

JPP90
01-12-2011, 02:59 AM
Cincinnati WR Armon Binns

Guy really is a really good receiver and gets no recognition. Big, good hands and has good downfield speed. Very productive on what was a horrible offense this year with a gunslinger QB throwing more picks that touchdowns.

superman8456
01-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Greg Romeus is being ridiculously underrated now after his back injury.

brasho
01-12-2011, 06:34 AM
I'm pretty sure Ras-I Dowling is overrated...and I'm a UVa fan.

holt_bruce81
01-12-2011, 06:37 AM

No, he's really not.

JaxJag_1
01-12-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm not saying Dalton will go higher than Mallett, Gabbert, Newton, or Locker. He may go behind Ponder and Stanzi as well (although I doubt it). However, in 10 years we'll look back and all see that Dalton was the best from this QB crop in the National Football League.

Grave Digger
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
San Diego St. WR Vincent Brown is extremely underrated in my opinion. He needs to put on some muscle, but he reminds me a lot of Greg Jennings. He will be a deep threat in the NFL.

I agree that Gilbert is being underrated. He has enough bulk and strength that he isn't going to get bullied at RT, but he is quick and athletic enough to handle speed. He was a blindside protector for Tebow so he basically had to play like a LT and I always thought he did a heck of a job. I would say he's being underrated by draftniks, but I doubt he will be by NFL teams.

I don't think Justin Houston is necessarily being underrated. He will go about where he should go which is the late 1st, early 2nd.

thegreatone
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Has Corey Liuget declared?

Unbiased
01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Brian Rolle and Brandon Burton are going to be great NFL players.

iowatreat54
01-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Has Corey Liuget declared?

Yes, he did yesterday.

SenorGato
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Phil Taylor's about to get his 15 minutes...I've been noticing him being talked about more lately....I'd say he's in minute 3-5 right now.

bucfan12
01-12-2011, 01:14 PM
1. Jaqwan Jarrett FS Temple
2. Davon House CB New Mexico State
3. Pierre Allen DE Nebraska
4. Steven Schilling G Michigan
5. Darell Scott RB Maryland
6. Jeremy Kerely WR TCU

I think those 6 could be nice selections for teams on day 3 of the draft. (rounds 4-7)

Poz51
01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
One guy who keeps impressing me is Jimmy Smith. Every time I see him I like him more and more as a prospect. Great size, plays the ball, and simply shuts receivers down. I might sound crazy, but he reminds me of Nnamdi Asomugha at times. Don't know if people will agree with me, but I think he'll go higher than expected come Draft Day, somewhere around early-mid 20's.

I am with you, I have been high on him for a while now, have had him in the late first, or early second of all my mocks that I can think of, not sure if he reminds me of Nnamdi, but I can see the comparison, think he has similar potential, and think he is the most under rated corner in the draft, reminds me of the love child of Troy Vincent and Chris McCalister... The more I see, the more I love about him, have him rated as my 3rd corner right now, moving him ahead of Williams and Harris. He's a steal in the second, and I would think teams in the top 20 will give some consideration his way, the Senior Bowl could really show what he is made of when there is talent around him.

RyanBraun8
01-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm not saying Dalton will go higher than Mallett, Gabbert, Newton, or Locker. He may go behind Ponder and Stanzi as well (although I doubt it). However, in 10 years we'll look back and all see that Dalton was the best from this QB crop in the National Football League.

Hope not, that would mean every other Qb amounted to nothing more than a decent 2nd string qb. But this is a weak class.

QB prospects like Dalton are a dime a dozen, great college QB, a career back-up

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-26-2011, 02:13 AM
In no real order:

1) Phil Taylor - NT - Baylor

Taylor is a legit anchor at NT for any 3-4 defense. Players with his size are often overvalued, but at 6'4.5 340lbs, Taylor is quite the talent. He does have some character concerns (he was booted from Penn State for numerous run ins), but he is going to go higher than most people think. If this class wasn't so deep on the DL I think he would have a shot at the top 20. Assuming he handles himself reasonably well in interviews - I think he has an outside shot at the tail end of the first round and if not one of the 3-4 teams picking early in round 2 will steal him. Denver is atrocious up the middle and makes a lot of sense.

2) Corey Liuget - DT - Illinois

I can't help but laugh at the people who believe this guy is a mid-late 2nd or 3rd round pick. Just no. Athletes like this at the DT position are extremely rare. I've been quoted as saying this many times, but this is a kid who was returning kickoffs in high school at 270 lbs to put his athleticism in perspective. Do not scuff at the fact he went to Illinois. He had offers from everywhere and chose Illinois over Miami & LSU, due to his mother wanting him out of the Miami area. Liuget is scheme diverse and could be an impact DT in a 4-3 or as a DE in a 3-4. He had a rough sophomore season due to injuries, but got back into complete shape this season and he has some dominating tape out there. Scouts will love him - while draftniks will be luke warm on him. He is without a doubt a first rounder and is going to go much higher than people assume. Reminiscent of Tyson Alualu of last year. KC in the early 20s or probably higher.

3) Marcus Gilbert - OT - Florida

There is an OT like this every year. Prototype size, athleticism, fits at LT, RT, or inside at guard, but doesn't have much hype surrounding them. I believe Gilbert is a plug-n-play from day one for the team that drafts him. Gilbert has played against top flight competition for two seasons @ Florida. Pouncey continues to get hyped, because of his brother, but Gilbert is the best player in this draft on that Florida offensive line. I think he is the Rodger Saffold of this draft. He will continue to be overlooked and won't go in the first round, but wherever he lands in the 2nd round will become an instant starter.

4) Ras-I Dowling - CB - Virginia

I really liked Dowling last year and thought there was a good chance he would come out and be a 2nd rounder. He decided to come back which you can't really knock, but unfortunately, had an injury plagued season. Dowling was a first round pick to start the season and I still think he goes in the first round this year. The CB/S class is weak after the trio of Peterson/Prince/Smith go off the board. Jimmy Smith out of Colorado is another guy I am surprised is not getting the hype he deserves. Jenkins deciding to return to Florida also just improved his stock. Anyways, Dowling is a great tackler from the CB spot which is becoming more and more valued around the league. He reminds me a bit of a bigger Brandon Flowers. I think he goes in the first round assuming he runs decently and is healthy. Baltimore at the tail end of the first makes a ton of sense to me.

5) Justin Houston - OLB - Georgia

I just noticed today that he had officially declared and was pretty psyched. This guy is an absolute STUD and is going to be a terror for any 3-4 at OLB. Next years LBing core is ridiculous stacked with Burfict (who I am in love with -- save that for another day), Teo, etc. so it makes sense he is coming out when there is not a lot of great DE/OLB prospects in this pool. I feel Von Miller will be badly overdrafted for this reason. Houston comes from a big name school and has big time production. He is a great prospect. It would not surprise me at all to see him go in the first round. A good fit for him may be in Houston early in round 2 now that they are switching to the 3-4. I am still surprised by the lack of buzz around his name. I assume that will change pretty quickly.

6) Tyron Smith - OT - USC

This guy is a unicorn, man. He is the Vernon Davis of OT prospects. Or if you really want to be ruthless - the 2011 version of Tony Mandarich. I still can't get over the fact people are sleeping on this kid. He is a legit LT prospect with his size and feet. His athleticism is pretty much unmatched. I see many people are hammering him about the lack of weight. It's a legit concern right now, but keep in mind he is an extremely young prospect. His birth certificate says 12/12/1990. He is going to add weight over the next few months and will be able to stick at left tackle in the NFL. I remember a few years ago, many were knocking D'Brick for his lack of weight and he silenced them by adding weight and now of course is a pro bowl LT. I am not saying Smith is as good of a prospect as Brick, but if you consider the value of where you will be able to land him, he's one of the best bangs for your buck in the first round. Indy in round 1 seems like the absolute lowest he could go -- maybe Chicago if they are lucky who could start him day one.

Other guys I also really like who will go higher than most think:

Jerrel Jernigan - WR - Troy
Ryan Williams - RB - V-Tech
Aaron Williams - CB - Texas
Jabaal Sheard - DE/OLB - Pittsburgh
Ahmad Black - DB - Florida
Jarvis Jenkins - DT - Clemson
Ben Ijalana - OG - Nova
Nate Irving - LB - NC State
Dontay Moch - LB - Nevada

among others..

Judging from the first few days of the Senior Bowl looks like I was spot on about Taylor & Gilbert.

Ras-I isn't healthy which is disappointing to see him pull out.

Corey Liuget, Tyron Smith, and Justin Houston are all climbing draft boards.

jtice2003
01-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Lacks lower body strength to break tackles. (which can be added at the next level)

its interesting the me because if he winds up as a #3 slot receiver, he will be a rarity. kinda in the jordy nelson mold.

jtice2003
01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Ive been watching sam acho disrupt football games for 3 years now (granted 2010 was down year)

I see him as a OLB prospect, not as special as orakpo, definantly not as physical but, can stand his ground. I would like to see him fall into the hands of like the steelers where he can learn behind the starters now and maybe one day replace farrior. Maybe the ravens, Hell he can take the role that sergio kindle was orginially to have for them, i don't see the ravens being patient enough to let him sit out another year and let the rust set him at a big price.

GoRavens
01-26-2011, 01:24 PM
QB - Greg McElroy, Alabama.
http://static.blogcritics.org/10/07/15/139105/greg-mcelroy2.jpg
RB - Evan Royster, Penn State.
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2008/09/large_evan_royster.jpg
WR - Vincent Brown, San Diego.
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/nctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/8/1f/3b5/81f3b541-7d07-5334-9b01-b7f4591dbe65.image.jpg
ILB - Brad Jefferson, Georgia Tech.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2723/4314771384_baccd06133.jpg
CB - Kendric Burney, UNC.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UpJyhzbyWVs/TDnws1O7ffI/AAAAAAAAAHY/mGhu4VaD7Bo/s1600/KendricBurney_display_image.jpg
CB - Justin Rogers, Richmond.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/3088027600_4238f74d28.jpg

49erNation85
01-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Locker and Titus Young and Austin of Boise State . These three kids will be impact players day one of next year .