PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks Who See the Field

Caulibflower
01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I want to know which quarterbacks are the best at anticipating when their receivers are going to be open, can read defenses the best, can "throw receivers open," can look off their intended guy, consistently hit the hot route when blitzed, check down without just dumping it, and hit the deep out.

Forget the HT/WT/40 for a minute, the offenses they played in, their stats and everything else: which quarterbacks do you watch and think, "This guy really understands how the passing game works." ?

Chidi29
01-12-2011, 05:37 PM
This class really doesn't seem to have those guys. At least, none of the top five to six QBs.

I've never really taken a good look at Dalton, but I'm sure he'll be a popular answer.

Pat Devlin seems like a really smart QB. He knows where everyone is at at a given moment and is always going through his progressions. He wastes little time in going to his checkdown when he needs to. There isn't a lengthy "read and react" time to him although I have seen his internal clock not go off in a game earlier this season. I just wish Devlin would throw it downfield more often so we can see how good he is making NFL type throws.

BeerBaron
01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Andrew Luck.......awww.

For the guys who actually are in this draft, I think it's something that they all have an issue with. Gabbert is coming out of the Missouri spread with a lot of easy reads and quick passes, so he's going to need to learn to see the field better.

Mallett has a similar issue at Arkansas. His progressions go:

1.) Look at primary target, is he wide freaking open? YES/NO

-YES- Throw to him
-NO- 2.) Checkdown

Newton is the same way only with a 3rd option: Scramble.

Locker very rarely had time this season to go through multiple progressions and "see the field." He could maybe look at a WR or two, usually both were well covered, and then had to either scramble, take a sack or checkdown.

If you're looking for a guy outside the first round who might be better at this....Ricky Stanzi might be a good one. He played in less of a screen/checkdown offense and had to actually survey the field a bit.

TACKLE
01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
This class really doesn't seem to have those guys. At least, none of the top five to six QBs.

I've never really taken a good look at Dalton, but I'm sure he'll be a popular answer.

Pretty much this. Dalton is the guy who comes to mind.

Caulibflower
01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I've been reading/hearing a lot about Dalton lately, I won't pretend he wasn't a guy I had in mind when posting the thread. I think a lot of people are thinking he could pretty easily go on the second day of the draft. Does he go higher than Colt McCoy?

TACKLE
01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I've been reading/hearing a lot about Dalton lately, I won't pretend he wasn't a guy I had in mind when posting the thread. I think a lot of people are thinking he could pretty easily go on the second day of the draft. Does he go higher than Colt McCoy?

I'd guess probably right in the same range.

mario
01-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Forgetting arm strength, height, etc...i'll go with Greg McElroy. He goes very well through progressions, has a great timming with his receivers (e.g. YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_kQzcaJFes)) and will put the ball in his playmakers' hands.

Sometimes he looks like a legit NFL QB (w/o the arm) burning defenses when is being blitzed and sometimes he's sloppy as hell in the pocket...

JaxJag_1
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Answers - Dalton and Pat Devlin

cajuncorey
01-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert are your men for this one bro

bam bam
01-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Dalton is the guy who comes to mind.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2284/1592333805_cbec759dc2_o.jpg

RealityCheck
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Andy Dalton is one of the most accurate passers college football has ever seen.

yourfavestoner
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Kellen Moore. Unfortunately, his arm makes Chad Pennington look like Jeff George.

FUNBUNCHER
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Consistently?? Can't think of any. All of the top guys at some point have displayed the ability to make the kind of passes the OP described, but none except Luck IMO were very reliable doing it for an entire game.