PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Plans: News on Shotgun

etk
03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Long an opponent of taking his quarterbacks out from under center, Bucs coach Jon Gruden finally appears to have warmed to the idea of using the shotgun formation.
-- Tampa Tribune

If this is true, and not just a bogus rumour, I'm really excited. Shotgun is very effective on long yardage situations, and we can really expand our offense and limit tipped passes with more shotgun. Most importantly, Chris Simms is better suited for shotgun, and he is used to it from his Texas days. This gives Simms a big edge over Garcia, and I think it is a good indicator of how Gruden is trusting Simms with the offense and making him the guy!

Jeff Garcia could lose ground to Chris Simms because of a personal commitment that will temporarily keep him off the football field. Garcia is to be married in April, and though he doesn't want to shortchange the Bucs or himself, he admits he must put his new family first this offseason. Jon Gruden might have other ideas.
-- Tampa Tribune

Another edge for Simms, it is becoming pretty apparent who our starter is for the moment.

Caddy
03-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't think it is evident at all who will be the starter at the moment. The best man for the job will get just that.

Merlin
03-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Long an opponent of taking his quarterbacks out from under center, Bucs coach Jon Gruden finally appears to have warmed to the idea of using the shotgun formation.
-- Tampa Tribune

If this is true, and not just a bogus rumour, I'm really excited. Shotgun is very effective on long yardage situations, and we can really expand our offense and limit tipped passes with more shotgun. Most importantly, Chris Simms is better suited for shotgun, and he is used to it from his Texas days. This gives Simms a big edge over Garcia, and I think it is a good indicator of how Gruden is trusting Simms with the offense and making him the guy!

Jeff Garcia could lose ground to Chris Simms because of a personal commitment that will temporarily keep him off the football field. Garcia is to be married in April, and though he doesn't want to shortchange the Bucs or himself, he admits he must put his new family first this offseason. Jon Gruden might have other ideas.
-- Tampa Tribune

Another edge for Simms, it is becoming pretty apparent who our starter is for the moment.
Yeh, Gruden mentioned this in his end of season press conference in January, I would also add, that I think Grads used the Gun exclusively at Toledo.
Camp should be exciting for our QB's.

etk
03-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeh, Gruden mentioned this in his end of season press conference in January, I would also add, that I think Grads used the Gun exclusively at Toledo.
Camp should be exciting for our QB's.

I forgot about that, I really had high hopes for Grads as a future starter, but the reality is that he is nothing more than a career backup. He doesn't have much potential and he won't get muchy better than his mediocre performance last year. I hope we keep him for years though because he will be solid depth for a while.

zCaddyz
03-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Chris is gonna be a pro-bowler if we use the shotgun, no more batted down balls i swear if i see that happen 10 times a game again im watch womens basketball

Caddy
03-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I forgot about that, I really had high hopes for Grads as a future starter, but the reality is that he is nothing more than a career backup. He doesn't have much potential and he won't get muchy better than his mediocre performance last year. I hope we keep him for years though because he will be solid depth for a while.

Why are you so low on Grads? He had a decent statistical year for a rookie QB and has the ability to improve in a system which caters for him. Just because he was a 6th rounder doesn't mean he will be a career backup. We all know the type of guys you can get late on Day 2.

You seem to be behind the whole "it takes 5 years for a QB to learn the west coast offense" stuff, yet after one year you are dismissing Gradkowski?

zCaddyz
03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
I dont like grad i can thorw better then him, but the past has proven u dont need a strong arm qb "Brad the Great" but i thin simms will prove ppl wrong this year

etk
03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Why are you so low on Grads? He had a decent statistical year for a rookie QB and has the ability to improve in a system which caters for him. Just because he was a 6th rounder doesn't mean he will be a career backup. We all know the type of guys you can get late on Day 2.

You seem to be behind the whole "it takes 5 years for a QB to learn the west coast offense" stuff, yet after one year you are dismissing Gradkowski?

Ah very good point there at the end....

I'm not that low on him, I think he is worth a try as a starter down the road, but he seems like a good career backup. Nothing wrong with that for a 6th rounder. I haven't lost hope in him, but right now he projects as a backup in my eyes. Most of his issues have to do with experience and learning the offense, so he has potential, but to be successful he has to improve his accuracy on deep passes. He has to improve it a LOT!

Booger
03-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Simms is by no means our starter, and Garcia getting married doesnt change a thing. The best QB in camp will start, its as simple as that.

Simms using the shotgun in college doesnt really mean a whole lot, do you know how much Garcia used the shotgun on the Calgary Stampeders?

I agree completely with 24cadillac24 on Grads, he showed a lot of great qualities last season. He is by no means pencilled in as our future starter, but to write him off completely would be unfair. The deep ball is supposed to be one of the hardest things for a young QB to have success with.

etk
03-22-2007, 10:14 PM
There's very little Garcia can do to become the Week 1 starter. It's Simms' job to lose, and it's unlikely he will lose it in camp or preseason. Garcia will have to blow away the coaches to start, or hope that Chris gets injured.

If we don't draft a young QB, it means we're giving Chris the reins to the team. It wouldn't make sense for us to start Garcia and not give Simms a chance if he is our QB of the future, we would be prolonging the testing period to determine the direction of our franchise at QB. Once again, it's his job to lose.

Booger
03-22-2007, 10:20 PM
There's very little Garcia can do to become the Week 1 starter. It's Simms' job to lose, and it's unlikely he will lose it in camp or preseason. Garcia will have to blow away the coaches to start, or hope that Chris gets injured.

If we don't draft a young QB, it means we're giving Chris the reins to the team. It wouldn't make sense for us to start Garcia and not give Simms a chance if he is our QB of the future, we would be prolonging the testing period to determine the direction of our franchise at QB. Once again, it's his job to lose.

I think that you are way off, Garcia is a west coast seasoned vet, and is more than capable of starting day 1. He wont have to blow anybody away to win the starting job, he'll just have to be better than Simms. There is no incentive for the Bucs to start Simms if Garcia gives them the best chance of winning.

Both QBs are on bonus laiden 2-year contracts. How was signing Simms to a 2-year deal giving him the reigns to the team?

Caddy
03-22-2007, 11:07 PM
I agree with Booger on the issue. Both were given extremely similar contracts and the better player will start. Whether that happens to be Simms or Garcia will be decided in training camp. The Buccaneers just need to start the player who gives the Bucs the best chance to win, who it is doesn't really matter.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a quarterback whose name is not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady etc, a starter shouldn't be penciled in.

Merlin
03-23-2007, 04:36 AM
I agree with Booger on the issue. Both were given extremely similar contracts and the better player will start. Whether that happens to be Simms or Garcia will be decided in training camp. The Buccaneers just need to start the player who gives the Bucs the best chance to win, who it is doesn't really matter.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a quarterback whose name is not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady etc, a starter shouldn't be penciled in.Bump.

My feelings on Simms are well known to all by now, I don't see him as the future of the team, though a solid back-up, who could be in the lge for a long time.

As for Grads, consider where he came from in terms of draft position etc, to do what he did, must of been mind blowing IMO, one minute your a rookie 6th rd draft pick from the Toledo Rockets, the next your leading the Tampa Bay Bucs in the NFL, thats a hell of a jump!

Having said that, it was obvious to all that his deep ball needs work (a lot) and he did seem to regress as the season went on, he is a work in progress, and I'd imagine it will take some time to see him at his best.

zCaddyz
03-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Simms will be our QB for the first game, last year ppl where saying simms was gonna be a pro-bowler after they saw him in camp

etk
03-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Winning aside, we need to settle our QB position for the future. Jeff Garcia will not last past his 2-year contract undery any circumstances, but Simms surely can get extended. We need to see Simms playing from Day 1 to evaluate whether or not he is our future QB. If we keep him on the bench, we are delaying an important and inevitable decision of staying with Simms or drafting a QB early. Preseason games are not a good barometer of how a guy can play, so we need to let Simms start off the season and have his chance.

We have a similar situation to the Bears last year. They signed Brian Griese as a high-profile backup to Grossman because they were unsure and he was coming off an injury. Grossman started the season on a short leash, but he played well for most of the year and earned his job to keep. We have to give Chris the same oppurtunity, and I'm sure we will.

Caddy
03-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Winning aside, we need to settle our QB position for the future. Jeff Garcia will not last past his 2-year contract undery any circumstances, but Simms surely can get extended. We need to see Simms playing from Day 1 to evaluate whether or not he is our future QB. If we keep him on the bench, we are delaying an important and inevitable decision of staying with Simms or drafting a QB early. Preseason games are not a good barometer of how a guy can play, so we need to let Simms start off the season and have his chance.

We have a similar situation to the Bears last year. They signed Brian Griese as a high-profile backup to Grossman because they were unsure and he was coming off an injury. Grossman started the season on a short leash, but he played well for most of the year and earned his job to keep. We have to give Chris the same oppurtunity, and I'm sure we will.

I agree in that I want to see Simms be our starter. He obviously has more upside than Garcia, largely due to the age thing. However, if Garcia gives us the best chance of winning then we would be stupid not to start him.

BunMagnet2
03-26-2007, 04:59 AM
I think that shotgun would be the best thing for Simms and especially Gruden. Because first and for most his offense stinks...sometimes he just calls the dumbest plays....If we ran the Shotgun we all know it would be way better for Simms it would be better for Caddilac and the entire offense. Another thing that would be great would be if we ran shoutgun and added CJ!!!