PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Safety Class - Top 5

JustDezIT
01-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Who are you're top 5 safety prospects coming out this year? Any opinions/thoughts/predictions on anybody?

Kenny Tate -
Rahim Moore -
Ahmad Black -
Teejay Johnson -
Sash -

LizardState
01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
More or less in this order:

Rahim Moore
Deunta Williams
Tyler Sash
Ahmad Black
Mark Barron
Kenny tate

Edit: Subtract Barron, not declared & probably won't as arm injury kept him out bowl game.

SimonRath
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
weak S class much?

BeerBaron
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
More or less in this order:

Rahim Moore
Deunta Williams
Tyler Sash
Ahmad Black
Mark Barron
Kenny tate

No Jerron Johnson love?

thegreatone
01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
weak S class much?
Weak class period.

JustDezIT
01-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Weak class period.

People like to say it, but I don't see it. If anything the draft is top heavy in safeties. I think the guys I mentioned in my OP can start day one. I think Deunta Williams can to, but that injury will bring him down.

RealityCheck
01-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Very weak class.

1. Deunta Williams
2. Rahim Moore
3. Kenny Tate
4. Tyler Sash
5. Robert Sands

I don't think any of them will be taken in the Top 50, honestly.

OSUGiants17
01-13-2011, 05:33 PM
DeAndre McDaniel anyone

K Train
01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
i like Rahim Moore, Ras-i Dowling (who i in no way look at as a corner), Deunta Williams, DeAndre McDaniel, Ahmad Black and Quinton Carter

SenorGato
01-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Sands, anyone?

Johnson from Temple could/should be good.

gpngc
01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Kenny Tate might as well have been playing DE in the bowl game... all they did was blitz him.

SimonRath
01-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Weak class period.

theres no star at QB, RB, S or OT in my opinion.

JaxJag_1
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Ahmad Black is the best Safety in this class

jrdrylie
01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Ahmad Black is the best Safety in this class

Too small. With the way he plays, I bet he is injured almost as much as Bob Sanders.

Woody56
01-13-2011, 07:28 PM
weak S class much?

beyond weak

JustDezIT
01-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Too small. With the way he plays, I bet he is injured almost as much as Bob Sanders.

No way. Sanders had injury history at Iowa. Black doesn't have those concerns. You draft this kid day one and stick him at FS. He'll be great in that role. You just let him roam around ala Polamalu. I think him and Tate would be perfect in that role.

ellsy82
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
DeAndre McDaniel anyone

Didn't McDaniel punch his pregnant girlfriend, attempt to strangle her with a bed spread and then push her down a flight of stairs?

Yeah...that's a guy I want playing center field for me. You're looking at a minimum of 2 days of suspensions a year.

D-Unit
01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I think DeAndre McDaniel will be a much better pro than what he showed this past season. When we look back at this draft, I think we'll see him as a pretty nice steal. Not a HUUUGE steal, but a nice one... me thinks.

Hurricanes25
01-13-2011, 08:35 PM
1. Deunta Williams- Pretty good all around saftey.
2. Rahim Moore- Centerfielder

The following are all guys I like:
- Tyler Sash
- Jeron Johnson
- Jaiquawn Jarret
- Tejay Johnson
- Joe Lefeged

Unbiased
01-13-2011, 09:53 PM
The following are all guys I like:
- Tyler Sash
- Jeron Johnson
- Jaiquawn Jarret
- Tejay Johnson
- Joe Lefeged

These would be my top 5 excluding Lefeged (just because I haven't seen him play). I don't like Moore, McDaniel, Black or any other "top" safeties in the class.

thebow305
01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
My Top 5 Safeties:

1. Rahim Moore, UCLA
2. Kenny Tate, Maryland
3. Deunta Williams, North Carolina
4. Robert Sands, West Virginia
5. DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson

ellsy82
01-14-2011, 12:12 AM
My Top 5 Safeties:

1. Rahim Moore, UCLA
2. Kenny Tate, Maryland
3. Deunta Williams, North Carolina
4. Robert Sands, West Virginia
5. DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson

Keep in mind that Williams underwent surgery on his broken leg recently. He'll likely miss the combine and his pro day. I really hope his draft stock plummets, because I think he's a helluva safety and would love to get him at a bargain price.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/19439/deunta-williams-has-surgery-on-broken-leg/

RWills
01-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Did Kenny Tate and Mark Barron announce they are leaving for the NFL?

DiG
01-14-2011, 08:33 AM
FS
1. Kenny Tate
2. Rahim Moore
3. Jaiquawn Jarret
4. Deunta Williams
5. Quinton Carter

SS
1. Deandre McDaniel
2. Tyler Sash
3. Ahmad Black
4. Jeron Johnson
5. Shila Keo

ellsy82
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Did Kenny Tate and Mark Barron announce they are leaving for the NFL?

Not yet...so far...

Aaron Williams, Texas
Brandon Burton, Utah
Brandon Harris, Miami(FL)
Rahim Moore, UCLA
Robert Sands, West Virginia
Patrick Peterson, LSU
Will Hill, Florida
Tyler Sash, Iowa

Grizzlegom
01-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Based on who has currently declared:

1. Quinton Carter, Oklahoma
2. Tyler Sash, Iowa
3. Rahim Moore, UCLA
4. Ahmad Black, Florida
5. Jaiquawn Jarrett, Temple

I think this year's class is going to be heavily debated and everyone is going to have 'their guy' and no matter what the eventual 'consensus' rankings are, I get the feeling they are going to be drafted in all sorts of randomness.

Day One Pick
01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
1. Rahim Moore, 6-1, 197, UCLA*

2. Quinton Carter, 6-1, 195, Oklahoma

3. Kenny Tate, 6-4, 220, Maryland

4. Ahmad Black, 5-10, 190, Florida

5. Tyler Sash, 6-1, 210, Iowa *

6. Robert Sands, 6-4, 215, West Virginia*

7. Shiloh Keo, 5-11, 216, Idaho

8. Jermale Hines, 6-2, 210, Ohio State

9. Will Hill, 6-1, 200, Florida*

10. Jerrard Tarrant, 6-0, 205, Georgia Tech *

JHL6719
01-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Who does everyone feel is the better prospect between Nebraska teammates Eric Hagg and DeJon Gomes?

thebow305
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Based on who has currently declared:

1. Quinton Carter, Oklahoma
2. Tyler Sash, Iowa
3. Rahim Moore, UCLA
4. Ahmad Black, Florida
5. Jaiquawn Jarrett, Temple

I think this year's class is going to be heavily debated and everyone is going to have 'their guy' and no matter what the eventual 'consensus' rankings are, I get the feeling they are going to be drafted in all sorts of randomness.

I agree that the rankings will be different for everyone. But I think most people can agree that Moore is the top guy. The most instictual, ballhawking safety in this class BY FAR. You REALLY think Carter and Sash are better prospects? I don't think they're even close. Neither have close to the upside Rahim possesses, and Sash is way too one-dimensional. Those are some fluky rankings IMO. No way Jarrett is a better player han Robert Sands or Kenny Tate either.

thebow305
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Who does everyone feel is the better prospect between Nebraska teammates Eric Hagg and DeJon Gomes?

Hagg at the moment.

Grizzlegom
01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree that the rankings will be different for everyone. But I think most people can agree that Moore is the top guy. The most instictual, ballhawking safety in this class BY FAR. You REALLY think Carter and Sash are better prospects? I don't think they're even close. Neither have close to the upside Rahim possesses, and Sash is way too one-dimensional. Those are some fluky rankings IMO. No way Jarrett is a better player han Robert Sands or Kenny Tate either.

I kept Tate out because he hasn't officially declared yet. As for Sands, I haven't seen enough of him yet. He's one of the underclassmen that declared that I hadn't really focused on so right now I'm keeping it conservative with him until I get a chance to see some more tape on him.

As for Moore being below Carter and Sash, Moore may have the best upside of anyone in this draft but he had a really bad season. I really don't think he should have come out. For his reputation, he had a measly 1 interception this year and he struggled across the board. He got burnt deep in coverage and took poor tackling angles all season. At this point in the process, I think he's a fringe 2nd round pick and that's based solely on his upside. Carter had a much better overall season, eclipsing Moore's numbers across the board and showing much better tackling and coverage skills this year. As for Sash, I think he's the more safe player but again I agree that Moore's got better upside. I don't really agree that he's one-dimensional, he's just as good of a ball-hawk as Moore and he takes better angles when tackling although he needs to refine his technique. He can't man cover for his life but as a zone safety, I think he is the kind of player you plug in now and forget about it for 10 years.

As for Jarrett, I think he's the most under-rated S in this class. For my money, he's the best all-around FS right now. He's a great tackler, especially for FS standards, and he's gotten better every year in coverage. I think he can fit in any scheme, he has great instincts, a strong work ethic, and is a true leader. He might not be the ball-hawk of those other guys but he's just an all-around good football player and I honestly think he's going to have the best career of all the guys from this class.

thebow305
01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I kept Tate out because he hasn't officially declared yet. As for Sands, I haven't seen enough of him yet. He's one of the underclassmen that declared that I hadn't really focused on so right now I'm keeping it conservative with him until I get a chance to see some more tape on him.

As for Moore being below Carter and Sash, Moore may have the best upside of anyone in this draft but he had a really bad season. I really don't think he should have come out. For his reputation, he had a measly 1 interception this year and he struggled across the board. He got burnt deep in coverage and took poor tackling angles all season. At this point in the process, I think he's a fringe 2nd round pick and that's based solely on his upside. Carter had a much better overall season, eclipsing Moore's numbers across the board and showing much better tackling and coverage skills this year. As for Sash, I think he's the more safe player but again I agree that Moore's got better upside. I don't really agree that he's one-dimensional, he's just as good of a ball-hawk as Moore and he takes better angles when tackling although he needs to refine his technique. He can't man cover for his life but as a zone safety, I think he is the kind of player you plug in now and forget about it for 10 years.

As for Jarrett, I think he's the most under-rated S in this class. For my money, he's the best all-around FS right now. He's a great tackler, especially for FS standards, and he's gotten better every year in coverage. I think he can fit in any scheme, he has great instincts, a strong work ethic, and is a true leader. He might not be the ball-hawk of those other guys but he's just an all-around good football player and I honestly think he's going to have the best career of all the guys from this class.

Moore's numbers weren't there because teams simply stopped throwing to his area. He wasn't tested nearly as much as last season and the numbers show that. The guy had 10 picks last year. The upside is immense and he is a 1st round talent no doubt about it.

JHL6719
01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I just don't think Rahim Moore can make the impact in the NFL that people think. I see "ballhawks" at FS every year that can't make an impact in the NFL because they don't like to be physical and shy away from contact.

Guys like Polamalu, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Darren Woodson, Antrel Rolle, Brian Dawkins, Eugene Robinson, LeRoy Butler, Darren Sharper, Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Henry Jones, Carnell Lake, etc... you can go back as far as you want to..

All these "ballhawks" are physical players who relished contact. You can't be a soft ballhawk in the NFL and be one dimensional like you can be in college.. you end up with Reggie Nelson's, etc.

I think Tejay Johnson is going to be a better NFL free safety than Rahim Moore. Johnson has the ballskills, but he's a ton more physical.

will99890
01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
JHL, Reggie Nelson is the perfect comparison for Moore. Gets majority picks being in the right place at the right time (overthrows and deflections mostly). Neither can tackle to save his life. When it comes to safeties, I'll take substance over style all day.

Jeron Johnson, Tyler Sash, DeAndre McDaniel, Deunta Williams, and Tejay Johnson are my top 5 in no particular order. The next tier is very crowded with about 8 guys all having similar grades IMO.

JaxJag_1
01-14-2011, 12:52 PM
JHL, Reggie Nelson is the perfect comparison for Moore. Gets majority picks being in the right place at the right time (overthrows and deflections mostly). Neither can tackle to save his life. When it comes to safeties, I'll take substance over style all day.

Jeron Johnson, Tyler Sash, DeAndre McDaniel, Deunta Williams, and Tejay Johnson are my top 5 in no particular order. The next tier is very crowded with about 8 guys all having similar grades IMO.

I get the comparison to Reggie Nelson to some extent. Reggie couldn't tackle, but he was also as dumb as a bag of bricks. You penalize Rahim Moore for getting picks from overthrows and defelections, but are you penalizing Ed Reed when he is constantly around the ball, when it hangs in the air or gets tipped?

I'm not a Rahim Moore guy either, but the analysis is far off in your post.

contento
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
If Robert Sands was 6-1 would he even sniff the Top 5 of some of these lists? I just don't see it

SenorGato
01-14-2011, 10:53 PM
To hype up some good ones, when I see Sands I think Adrian Wilson. Moore could go in the late first/early second. Tate reminds me of Kerry Rhodes, but hopefully he's more willing to hit in trhe NFL. Williams is a sick athlete.

I don't think it's a terrible safety class. There's just no headliner, which is fine because there very rarely is.

JustDezIT
01-14-2011, 11:01 PM
I think Kenny Tate will be the best safety from this class - by far. Ahmad Black a close second.

JaxJag_1
01-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Hard to be the best Safety in the class, when he hasn't declared.

ellsy82
01-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm really looking at Tyler Sash closely and would like to see him reach the end of the third round. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway. Its not realistic on my behalf, but I would still love to see it.